1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Twenty One
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
William A. ROBINSON -
For more than forty years William A. Robinson has been a resident of Harrison county, Iowa. He has engaged in general farming and stock raising since reaching his majority, with the exception of a few years when he was in the real estate and loan business in Mondamin. He now has a fine farm of four hundred acres in Raglan township, on which he is residing. He stands high in the estimation of all those with whom he is acquainted and well merits the esteem in which he is held by his neighbors and fellow citizens.
William A. Robinson, the son of John and Mary (Winegarden) Robinson, was born on February 9, 1864, in Tuscola, Illinois. His parents were natives of Ireland and Canada, respectively, his father being of Scotch-Irish descent and his mother of German ancestry. John Robinson and his family came to Harrison county in October, 1874, and bought land in Morgan township, one mile east of Mondamin. Two children were born to John Robinson and wife, Clare and William A.
The education of William A. Robinson was received in the schools of Illinois and Harrison county, Iowa. He was ten years of age when his parents moved to this county and therefore completed his education in the schools of Mondamin, near which town his father had settled. He remained at home until he was married at the age of twenty-three and then bought a farm west of Mondamin, in section 32. He lived on this farm for fourteen years and then moved to Mondamin to engage in the real estate and loan business. He lived in Mondamin, following this line of work, for about twelve years, but finally decided to return to the farm. He bought four hundred acres of land in Raglan township in 1902 and, in September, 1913, moved to this farm. It is well adapted to general farming, and, under his skillful management, it bids fair to yield a very comfortable income year after year. He keeps full-blooded Duroc-Jersey hogs, Percheron horses and Plymouth Rock chickens. In fact, he is making a specialty of stock raising. He has six head of the best Percheron horses in the county. He is rapidly improving his farm and in the course of a few years bids fair to have one of the most attractive farms of the county.
Mr. Robinson was married in December, 1887, to Sarah Vandecar, who was born in Canada and is a daughter of C. E. and Sarah (Oxborrow) Vandecar. Her parents were natives of Canada, of German and English descent, respectively. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson are the parents of four children, Mary, Earl, John and Irene. Mary is the wife of Everett Gamet, and lives in Morgan township and they have one son, Bruce, and one daughter, Vida. The other three children are still single and living with their parents.
Mr. Robinson is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a Democrat, but is not a partisan in any sense of the word, preferring to vote for the best men, irrespective of their political affiliations. He has served on the school board of his township, but has never been willing to accept the nomination for any other position. He is an active and wide-awake farmer, deeply interested in everything pertaining to the welfare of the agricultural class, and is accorded a high place among the progressive farmers of the county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 928, 929 Family Researcher: NA
Archibald M. ROLPH -
The career of Archibald M. Rolph is related with many interesting incidents. Born in Indiana and locating in Iowa with his parents when he was three years of age, he lived in Kansas for a time and later in Colorado. His parents permanently located in Harrison county, Iowa, in 1859 and since that year A. M. Rolph has made his home in this county. He started to work for himself when he was only eleven years of age, and the fact that he owns one of the best farms in the county at the present times is sufficient evidence that he has directed his energies in the proper direction. He and his good wife have reared an interesting family of children to lives of usefulness and honor and no greater benefit can any man confer on his community than this. Mr. Rolph also has taken an active part in the political, fraternal and religious life of his locality, and in all respects measures up to a high standard of American citizenship.
Archibald M. Rolph, the son of Moses and Priscilla (De Witt) Rolph, was born August 7, 1851, in Wells county, Indiana. His parents were both born in Indiana and his father died when Archibald was a babe in arms. His mother later married Hiram M. Wilfong, who was an expert mechanic. In 1854 Mr. Rolph left Indiana with his mother and stepfather and went to Kossuth county, Iowa, where they lived until the spring of 1856. At that time they went to the head waters of Little Sioux river and there built a boat, floating down the Little Sioux river to the present site of the village of Little Sioux, which at that time was only a stage stop, with one store owned by Charles La Ponteur. This stage station was called Fountainbleau and was located at the foot of what is now known as the Murray hill.
At that time the country was mainly inhabited by Indians and the few inhabitants depended upon deer, wild turkeys and wild game for food. Mr. Wilfong did not remain long in Harrison county at that time, but went on south to Kansas, but they remained there only one winter. They next went to Pike's Peak, Colorado, where Mr. Rolph's stepfather was quite successful as a miner. In the fall of 1858 the family came back to Iowa and located in Monona county, about ten miles north of Little Sioux. They made the entire trip to and from this state with ox teams and for many years after locating in Iowa used oxen for farming. In 1859 the family moved down to Harrison county and located about three miles north of Little Sioux. In 1865 Mr. Wilfong and his wife moved to Dekamah, Nebraska, but Archibald remained in Harrison county.
At this time Mr. Rolph was fourteen years of age, but, despite his youth, he secured work by the day and month in Harrison county and here he has since lived. He bought forty acres of railroad land in 1877 on which he built a twelve-by-fourteen house, in which he lived until his marriage the following year. He gradually added to his first forty until he at one time owned three hundred and twenty acres of land, all of which he bought from the railroad company. He has since sold all but one hundred and sixty acres in the northern part of Little Sioux township and forty acres one-half mile north of Little Sioux, where he now resides. He has built a fine home on Little Sioux with furnace, hot and cold water, gas lights and all modern improvements; in fact, his house is one of the most modern homes in Little Sioux township and is beautifully located overlooking the Little Sioux river. Mr. Rolph has made a specialty of raising registered Duroc-Jersey hogs and in his younger years was one of the most prominent stock feeders of the county. He has now retired from active work and makes his home on the Little Sioux, near the village.
Mr. Rolph was married June 18, 1878, to Emma Bell Smith, who was born June 18, 1853, in Council Bluffs, Iowa, the daughter of Frank and Isabella (Bond) Smith, natives of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, of English descent. To this union have been born five children, all of whom are still living, Bertha, Mary, James M., Adolph and Atlanta. Bertha, who married Arthur Rock and lives in Blencoe, Iowa, has one son, Harold. Mary, the wife of Leslie Crabb, and lives in Little Sioux, has two children, Grace and Lawrence. James M. married Marguerite Hooper, of Ames, Iowa, and has three children, Alice M., Celestial and Viola M. James M. Rolph was graduated from Ames College, completing the electrical engineering course in that excellent institution. He is now stationed in St. Louis, where he is following his profession with marked success. Adolph married Bessie Phelps and lives on his father's old farm. He has four children, Earl, Daisy, Nellie and Dorothy. Atlanta is an instructor in the dressmaking college at Sioux City.
Mr. Rolph is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and he and his wife and all of the children are members of the Eastern Star. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and he and his daughters, Atlanta and Bertha, are members of the Royal Neighbors. Mr. Rolph is a stanch Republican and has been trustee of his township for eighteen years. He also has held other minor official positions with credit to himself and satisfaction to his fellow citizens. Although not members of any church, the family are strong supporters of the church and not only believe in doing what is right, but practice what they preach. Mr. Rolph was one of the commissioners on the Harrison-Monona ditch and also on the Boyer ditch. The Rolph family are highly esteemed in the community where they reside and no family is more worthy of inclusion in the biographical section of the history of the county than theirs.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 600, 601, 602 Family Researcher: NA
Egbert S. SCALES -
The high rank taken by Harrison county in the sovereign state of Iowa is the result of incessant and intelligent effort on the part of her citizenry, aided by the wonderful fertility of the soil. However, this must, of necessity, take second rank, when it is remembered that the moral and intellectual standards of any community spring from the standards and ideals of the individual citizen. In the method of advanced idea in the tilling and using of her soil it is apparent that the men and women of Harrison county are such as may well cause her to point back to her history and that of her people with pride.
A farmer and stockman, who aids in upholding the community standards, is Egbert S. Scales, who was born in Harrison county on October 18, 1872, the son of James and Alice (Smith) Scales, the former of whom was born in Ireland, and died in 1900. Alice Scales was born in Jefferson county, Iowa, March 18, 1853, and died in 1903.
Coming from Ireland to Ohio, at the age of seventeen, James Scales soon after moved to Davenport, Iowa, where he enlisted in Company C, of the Second Iowa Cavalry. Receiving his discharge at Davenport and moved to Harrison county in 1864, where he worked as a laborer for about eight years, and gradually accumulating capital, he finally bought the farm which now belongs to his son Egbert. This land was cultivated and added to from time to time, until the owner's death in 1901.
As did so many successful men of his time, Mr. Scales received only a common school education, being born and reared on the farm on which he is now living, where he attended the district school. His father presented him with forty acres of land in 1893, which he cultivated so diligently and with such thrift that he was enabled to purchase the home place, which is located in the northwest part of Magnolia township. The land boasts of extensive improvements, while the entire tract of two hundred and forty acres has a well-groomed appearance, very pleasing to the eye.
Mr. Scales was married in 1901 to Irene Maule, whose birth occurred May 8, 1879. One child, Arlon, has blessed the union. Arlon lives with his parents. Mrs. Scales is native to Raglan township.
Mr. Scales is a breeder of Poland-China hogs and grade Polled-Angus cattle. He gives his support to the Republican party, and his fraternal relations are established by membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Whole-hearted and optimistic, Mr. Scales exudes the spirit of the free and limitless West.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 950, 951 Family Researcher: NA
Edward W. SCEBOLD -
Of all the phases and conditions of life which are called to the attention of the biographer, the most illuminative are those that are involved in the story of a man who is actuated by praiseworthy motives and who wins distinctive success as a result of unremitting effort. Such a man is Edward W. Scebold, the prominent Harrison county agriculturist.
Born on August 15, 1866, just east of Loveland, Pottawattamie county, Iowa, Mr. Scebold is the son of Joseph and Jane (Palmer) Scebold, who were Michigan farmers and the parents of ten children, of whom Edward W. was the fifth in order of birth.
Mr. Scebold received a high-school education, making his home with his parents until he was twenty-one. At this age he rented land for two years, at the end of which time he married. He continued to rent for two years more and then bought sixty-three acres in Boomer township, Pottawattamie county, Iowa, which land he owned for two years, at the end of which time he sold out and moved to Missouri Valley, where he went to work for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company in their car-repair department. He continued at this work for seven years, then went to Sioux City, where he was foreman of the car-repair shops of the same railway company. He stayed in Sioux City six months and then went to Council Bluffs for a stay of one and one-half years, during which time he worked for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroad. In February of 1904 he returned to Harrison county and recommenced farming, renting for two years from John Young, after which, for two years, he rented the farm on which he now lives, and which he bought in 1908. The farm contains one hundred and fifty-six acres of good, well-improved land. Full-blooded Hampshire hogs are a specialty with Mr. Scebold, and he is intending to take several blue ribbons with his hogs at the county fairs. He feeds about one hundred hogs each year, and about one car of cattle, as well as doing general farming.
On September 8, 1889, Mr. Scebold married Elizabeth Alexander, who was born on March 28, 1868, in Pottawattamie county, near where Mr. Scebold was born. Mrs. Scebold is the daughter of Charles and Catharine (Scott) Alexander, who were natives respectively of Philadelphia and New York, and are now residents of Harrison county, having moved here in 1893. To Mr. Scebold and his wife one child has been born, Charles, born on January 15, 1891, and who attended common and high school and then took a commercial course of three years at Fremont College, Fremont, Nebraska.
Mr. Scebold and his wife are members of the Daughters of Rebekah and he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In his political beliefs Mr. Scebold favors the Democratic party, and has been township trustee for one term. Genial, open-minded and well-informed, Mr. Scebold is considered as a welcome guest by his many friends, while the welfare of his fellow men is a matter of vital concern to him. He and his wife are held in the highest regard in the community in which they live and have a large following of warm friends.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 802, 803 Family Researcher: NA
John G. SCHULMEISTER -
For more than a score of years, John G. Schulmeister has been a resident of Missouri Valley, Iowa. When a young man, he learned the cigarmaker's trade and followed this occupation in various places until he came to Missouri Valley in the spring of 1894, and continued the manufacture of cigars in this city until 1910. Since that year, he has been in partnership with C. R. Stout in the real estate business, and this firm has built up a large and flourishing business since that time.
John G. Schulmeister, the son of George A. and Sophia (Horseman) Schulmeister, was born at Davenport, Iowa, May 15, 1862. His parents were both born in Germany, his father coming to this country in 1848, and his mother four years later. His father first located in St. Louis, Missouri, and after his marriage in 1852, moved to Davenport, where he lived until his death in 1904, at the age of sixty-eight. George A. Schulmeister was a tailor by trade and built up a successful business in Davenport. His wife died in 1875. Six children were born to George A. Schulmeister and wife, five of whom are living, Benjamin H., of Davenport, Iowa; Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher, of Boston, Massachusetts; Mrs. Katie Rieck, of Dubuque, Iowa; George A., of Davenport, and John G., of Missouri Valley.
John G. Schulmeister was reared in the city of Davenport, Iowa, and received his education in the parochial schools of that city. Before reaching his majority, he began to learn the cigar-maker's trade and followed this business until 1910. He lived in Davenport until he was twenty years of age and then traveled over the country, following his trade as a cigarmaker, in various cities, for the next ten years. He located at Carroll, Iowa, in 1890, where he was engaged in the manufacture of cigars until 1894. In March, of that year, he started a cigar factory in Missouri Valley, and built up a large business which he disposed of in 1910. During the time he was in the cigar business, he invested his savings in land and thus became interested in real estate. In fact, his land holdings became so extensive that he finally retired from the cigar business and devoted all of his time and attention to the real estate business.
John G. Schulmeinster was married on October 28, 1892, at Farmington, Iowa, to Augusta Schaffer, a daughter of George Schaffer, and to this union three children have been born, Florence, Arthur and Gertrude. Mr. Schulmeister and his family are loyal members of the Catholic church of Missouri Valley. He gives his hearty support to the Republican party, but has never been an aspirant for public office. Mr. Schulmeister has a fine farm in Harrison county, and also owns property in the city where he has made his home for more than twenty years. He is a man of energy and ability and has that judgement and foresight which should characterize the successful real estate dealer. Honest in his methods and straightforward in all of his transactions, he has conducted his affairs in such a way as to merit the high esteem in which he is held throughout the city and county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 986, 987 Family Researcher: NA
Albert SCHWERTLEY -
The Schwertley family came from Germany to the United States in 1884, and at once located in Harrison county, Iowa. Albert Schwertley was eleven years of age at the time his parents came to this country and has spent his whole life since that time within the limits of this county. He started out as a renter after his marriage and now owns two hundred acres of well-improved land, all of which has been made by his own good management and close economy.
Albert Schwertley, the son of William and Rachel (Voltz) Schwertley, was born on October 5, 1873 in Germany. The six children born to his parents were all born in Germany and Albert was the youngest living of the family at the time of their immigration.
The education of Albert Schwertley was received partly in the schools of his native land, and completed in the schools of Harrison county, Iowa, where his parents located after coming to this country. He worked on the home farm during his boyhood days, both in his native land and after locating in this county. He helped his father on the Harrison county farm until his marriage and then rented land, continuing as a renter for thirteen years. He then bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section 4 of Clay township, where he now lives. The place was only partially improved when he acquired it, but he has since added a machine-shed, hog houses, cribs and a garage, as well as making many other improvements of a general nature. He has added forty acres to his original purchase and now has two hundred acres of land on which he raises as good crops as any farmer in the county. The farm is well drained, well fenced and among the most productive in this section of the county. He annually feeds about one hundred head of hogs for the market, and also raises cattle and horses in similar proportions.
Mr. Schwertley was married on December 19, 1894, to Alberta Stines, who was born on October 27, 1876, in Clay township, in this county, a daughter of John and Linea (Beeman) Stines. Her parents are natives of Owen county, Indiana, and located in Harrison county, Iowa, in 1873, where they reared a family of seven children, Mrs. Schwertley being the fifth child.
Mr. Schwertley is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. The Democratic party receives his hearty support, but he confines his political activity to the casting of his ballot for its candidate. He has never had any political aspirations and contents himself with attending to his own private interests. He and his wife are loyal members of the Christian church and are deeply interested in its welfare. Mr. Schwertley is held in high esteem by his friends and neighbors and is in every way one of the representative men of the community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 794, 795 Family Researcher: NA
George F. SCOTT -
An enterprising and public-spirited citizen of Magnolia, Harrison county, Iowa, is George F. Scott, who has been a resident of the town since 1897. As a young man he farmed for several years, but for more than a decade has been engaged in the creamery business in Magnolia. Since coming to this county, Mr. Scott has applied himself with such energy and industry to his business that he has been very successful. He now has a fine farm in Harrison county and also owns land in Minnesota. He has been prominent in the civic life of Magnolia, and in all respects has acted the part of a good American citizen.
George F. Scott, the manager of the Magnolia Creamery, was born October 6, 1871, at Decatur, Illinois. He was a son of James and Maria (Bousman) Scott. His parents had ten children, five of whom are living: James, of Blue Mound, Illinois; Mrs. Olive Dill, of Decatur, Illinois; Boliver, Elmdale, Kansas; John R., Decatur, Illinois, and George F.
James Scott was born in Tennessee in 1827, and left there with his parents when he was about two years of age and located in Illinois, where he grew to manhood and engaged in farming until his death, in 1901. The wife of James Scott was born in Ohio and died in 1883.
George F. Scott was educated in the public schools of Blue Mound, Illinois, and remained at home until he was nineteen years of age. He then went to Dorchester, Nebraska, where he worked on a farm for about six years. In 1897 he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and began to work in the creamery at Magnolia. He learned the butter and cream-making business and remained in the creamery until 1904. At that time he rented a farm in Magnolia township and farmed for two years, after which he returned to the creamery as manager. Although he now owns three hundred and sixty acres of excellent land in Harrison county, Iowa, and Minnesota, he gives most of his attention to the creamery at Magnolia. He thoroughly understands every phase of the creamery business and is making a marked success in this line of activity.
Mr. Scott was married in 1900 to Iva E. Seeley, who was born in 1876, in Magnolia township, and is a daughter of Jerome and Rosetta (Patch) Seeley. Her parents are now deceased. Mr. Scott and his wife are the parents of four children, Hazel I., born March 27, 1902; Helen, born May 4, 1905; James S., born November 18, 1906; Linn, born February 11, 1912. The first three children were born in Magnolia and the last child was born in California.
Mr. Scott is independent in politics and gives his vote to those men whom he feels are best qualified to fill the offices they are seeking. He was one of the first members of the city council of Magnolia after the town was incorporated. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and Modern Woodmen of America.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 852, 853 Family Researcher: NA
Joseph SEDDON -
One of the prominent farmers of Persia, Harrison county, Iowa, who is not only a farmer, but a minister in the church of Latter-Day Saints, is Joseph Seddon, a venerable citizen of the community and a man who is profoundly respected within the circles of the community where he has led an active life. He is one of those men who has impressed his character upon the community, and one who is by virtue of his public spirit, and his native interest in the welfare of his neighbor, entitled to representation in this volume.
Joseph Seddon was born on December 28, 1847, in Lancashire, England, the son of John and Alice (Garrett) Seddon, who were the parents of two children, of whom the subject is the elder. Rachel Ann Bullard, the other child, is now living at Independence, Missouri.
John Seddon was born about 1828, in Lancashire, England, and was there employed as a miner. He came to Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1848, and worked as a laborer there, until 1850, when he moved to Council Bluffs, Iowa. Here he died on August 12, 1850. Alice (Garrett) Seddon was born in Lancashire county, England, December 24, 1832. She was twice married, the second time to Henry Halliday, also a native of England, born about 1834. He came to Iowa about 1852, and engaged as an engineer on a ferry boat. Later he moved to Nebraska, where he engaged in farming. He returned to Iowa in 1864 and bought land in Shelby county, where he farmed until his death in 1882. His wife died in 1906. She was the mother of five children by her second marriage, Mrs. Elizabeth Mather, deceased; Mrs. Mary E. Copeland, lives at Arcada, Nebraska; Henry S., deceased; Rebecca, also deceased, and Mrs. Katherine Waller, of Des Moines, Iowa.
Joseph Seddon attended the public schools of Council Bluffs, Iowa, and Florence, Nebraska, as well as the district schools of Shelby county, Iowa. At the age of twenty he began farming for himself. At first, he rented about fifty acres of land, and two years later he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company, for which he paid eight dollars an acre. This land was located in Washington township, Harrison county, Iowa. Mr. Seddon made improvements on this land, and lived here until 1882. While he still owns this land he removed to Persia, where he purchased a general store, which he operated until 1906. In that year Mr. Seddon disposed of his store. He was postmaster of Persia, Iowa, from 1901 until 1907, when he resigned this office to engage in the fruit tree business. Mr. Seddon made an efficient and capable postmaster, and a record of which he is justly proud. He has prospered in the fruit tree business, and conducts this in connection with his ministry in the church of the Latter-Day Saints. He is the owner of two hundred and four acres of land in Harrison county, besides property in the town of Persia.
Joseph Seddon was married in 1867 to Nancy M. Poe, who was born in 1838, in North Carolina. She was a daughter of Zadoc and Eliza (Morgan) Poe, both natives of North Carolina, who came to Harrison county, Iowa, about 1856, and engaged in farming until their death.
To Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Seddon eight children have been born, John, deceased; Alice, deceased; William, a farmer of Washington township, in this county; Nancy M., the wife of G. W. Turney; Asaph, deceased; Oliver; Edward, deceased, who was the first born, and Joseph A., a farmer of Washington township.
Mr. Seddon is a Republican and throughout his active career, has been influential in the councils of his party in local public affairs. He has served as a justice of the peace, mayor of town of Persia, as road supervisor, and also as township trustee, all of which positions he has filled with the distinction born of steadfast courage, adequate preparation and sterling integrity. Mr. Seddon is well known as a minister in the Latter-Day Saints church, and is a popular and interesting speaker. Mrs. Seddon died on January 3, 1915.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 941, 942 Family Researcher: NA
Gustave C. SEEGER -
An interesting resident of Harrison county, Iowa, is Gustave C. Seeger, who owns a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Clay township. He was engaged in general farming and stock raising in the county until the spring of 1914, since which time he has been running a large steamship on Lake Michigan. Mr. Seeger has traveled extensively over the United States, and is a man of broad and varied experience. In his younger days he did a great deal of studying at home and specialized in osteopathy, hypnotism and science healing. He is naturally of a mechanical turn of mind and was the first person in this section of the county to own an automobile. His father was a fine civil engineer of German birth and Mr. Seeger inherits his talent along this line from his father.
Gustave C. Seeger, the son of Gustave and Betty (Norman) Seeger, was born November 8, 1858, in Glenwood, Iowa. His parents were natives of Leipsic, Germany, and came to the United States in the early fifties and located in Mills county, Iowa. The father was a civil engineer and was a surveyor of Mills county for twelve years. During this time he laid out the town of St. Mary's, Louden, or Hillsdale, as it is now known, and several other towns in the county. Three children were born to Gustave Seeger and wife, Gustave C., Hugo and Alfred.
Gustave C. Seeger received a good common-school education in the schools of Mills county and was a great student from his earliest boyhood. He early became interested in osteopathy, hypnotism and kindred sciences and read all of the literature on these subjects which he could secure. He is a natural-born mechanic and during his younger days was interested in all sorts of mechanical devices. For many years he was engaged in general farming and stock raising, although the farm is now managed by his wife and sons.
In 1907 Mr. Seeger built a boat twenty-eight feet long and ten feet wide and launched it in the Missouri river just west of his farm. On October 22 of that year he started on a voyage down the Missouri river and thence down the Mississippi. After reaching New Orleans in November he sold his boat. His success with the boat induced him to buy a large steamship on Lake Michigan in March, 1914. He has now established a freight and passenger run out of St. Ignace, Michigan. His boat is one hundred and thirty feet long, thirty-eight feet beam and depth proportionately. It is operated by two large engines developing fourteen hundred horse-power with a speed of twelve miles an hour. The boat has a capacity for four hundred passengers and several hundred tons of freight. He has already built up a good business and is recognized as an able navigator on the lake. While farming several years ago Mr. Seeger operated a grist-mill for a time and also managed a threshing outfit. With the invention of the automobile it was natural that Mr. Seeger should desire to own one, being of a mechanical turn of mind. He first owned a Murray car and later bought a Thomas. He now has a Ford for the use of his family.
Mr. Seeger was married March 9, 1882, to Virginia Estes, who was born September 15, 1865, near Glenwood, Iowa, and is a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (Harrison) Estes. Her mother was a relative of the late President Harrison. The Estes were natives of Louisville, Kentucky, and Evansville, Indiana, respectively, and reared a family of twelve children, Virginia being the ninth child born to her parents.
To Gustave C. and Virginia (Estes) Seeger have been born thirteen children ten of whom are living, Frederick C., Paul C., Blanche L., Lillian, Glenn E., Gustave W., Gladys, Richard, Donald and Virginia, and three who died in infancy. Gladys, Richard, Donald and Virginia are still single and living with their parents, while the other children are married. Frederick C. first married Amy Kerns, and she died leaving him with one daughter, Freda. He later married Florence Shapsott. Paul C. married Winnie Meyers. Blanche L. first married Charles Pippitt. He was accidentally drowned in the Little Sioux river at Little Sioux and left his widow with two children, Leslie and Theresa. Blanche later married William Fitzpatrick, and to her second union have been born two children, William and Kenneth. Lillian is the wife of William Motz, and has two children, Lawrence and Frances. Glenn E. married Edith Garrett, and has one daughter, Marie. Gustave W. married Veva Keith. He is the fourth member of the family bearing the same name, his great-grandfather also having been named Gustave.
Mr. Seeger is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a Republican in politics and has held various minor official positions in his township. He is a member of the Lutheran church, while his wife is affiliated with the Christian church. Mr. Seeger is an enterprising and public-spirited citizen, who has long been a valued member of the community where he resides.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 604, 605, 606 Family Researcher: NA