If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
George G. RADTKE -
The descendants of German parentage who have made Harrison county, Iowa, their home have been universally successful in agricultural pursuits. A farmer of German parentage now living in Magnolia township is George G. Radtke, who started in when sixteen years of age to make his way in the world, and by good management and hard work has accumulated a good farm of two hundred and twenty acres. He is a man of pleasing personality and is held in high esteem by those who know him.
George G. Radtke, the son of William and Matilda (SMITH) Radtke, was born April 23, 1874, in Harrison county, Iowa. His father was born in Purman, Germany, in 1846, and left there with his parents when he was about fourteen years of age and came to this country and located in Wisconsin. A short time afterwards his parents removed to Minnesota, where his father enlisted for service in the Union army in 1861 in Company A, Fourth Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered in at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and sent with his regiment to the south. He was wounded in Tennessee by spies; he was also injured by a limb of a tree striking him on the head. He remained in the hospital about two months, and while there became acquainted with the girl who later became his wife. After his marriage, William Radtke located in Sibley county, Minnesota, where he engaged in farming until 1873. In that year he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and bought the farm where his son, Albert, is now living. He made extensive improvements upon the farm and owned two hundred and forty acres in Magnolia township at the time of his death, in 1903. He was a member of the German Evangelical church. His wife was born in Germany, December 5, 1848, and left there with her parents when she was a year old. She died November 15, 1907. William Radtke and wife were the parents of eighteen children: Herman, deceased; Albert, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume; Henry, a farmer of Allen township; Mrs. Matilda Chatburn, whose husband's history appears elsewhere in this work; Carl, deceased; Mrs. Josephine Oviatt, living in Canada; George G., a farmer of Magnolia township; Edward, deceased; William, of South Dakota; Alma, deceased; Fred, a farmer of Jackson township; four who died in infancy; Mrs. Hattie Orr, a resident of Missouri Valley; Arthur and Benjamin. The last two named sons are farming in Allen township.
George Radtke was the first child born to his parents after they arrived in Harrison county. He attended the district schools and later the high school at Magnolia. When he was sixteen years of age he started to work on the farms in his vicinity and six years later rented a farm for himself. Two years following this time he bought one hundred and fourteen acres one mile east of the town of Magnolia and five years later sold this property and bought his present farm of one hundred and forty acres, eighteen acres of which is within the corporate limits of Magnolia. Within a short time he has added to his land holdings until he now owns two hundred and twenty acres and has thirty acres of his farm in natural timber. He has one of the finest country homes in the county, a beautiful modern house of two stories. He has placed at least seven thousand dollars' worth of improvements upon his farm and is now deriving a handsome income year after year. In 1911-12 he made an exhibit of his corn at Logan and Woodbine, and won the second prize in both places. He feeds from forty to sixty head of cattle each year on his farm.
Mr. Radtke was married on December 16, 1896, to Mary MICHAEL, who was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on October 16, 1869, the youngest daughter of Charles Michael and Fredericka (Ploth). To this union have been born two children, Hilda, born October 4, 1897, and Frederick, born March 24, 1899.
Mr. Radtke and his family are regular attendants of the German Lutheran church. The Republican party receives his hearty support and he is now serving as school treasurer of Magnolia township. Mr. Radtke is well deserving of the success which has come to him, since it is the direct result of his own initiative. He is well known in the township where he has spent practically all his life, and is rightly classed among its most progressive citizens.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 846, 847, 848. Family Researcher: NA
Henry REEL -
�Uncle� Henry Reel, as he always was known, was the founder of the town of Logan, and he named it in honor of that great American volunteer soldier who made his military mark in the Civil War as well as in the halls of Congress. Mr. Reel was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1803, and in 1822, in company with his brother, John Reel, moved from Dayton, Ohio, to Putnam county, Indiana, that section of the Hoosier state being then an unbroken wilderness. These two brothers were natural-born millwrights, and erected numerous saw- and grist-mills in the Hoosier and Hawkeye states. After residing several years in Indiana, and becoming tired of what he regarded as the cramped-up condition of the then rapidly settling state, he concluded to go farther on west, finally settling where Logan now stands. He chose this place on account of its excellent mill-site and there, in the autumn of 1852, erected a log cabin. Soon he had his corn-cracker on the Boyer doing good business. He remained where he first set stakes and helped to build up the town and its industries. Among the special traits of this old pioneer may be mentioned his unyielding integrity and uprightness, his stanch religious convictions and his loyalty to the government, offering on the altar of his country, as he did, three sons, who perished by reason of the South's rebellion. He was a noted pedestrian, preferring to walk than ride in any sort of a conveyance, and frequently walked to Council Bluffs, even when teams were going that way. �Uncle Henry� was a member of the Predestinarian Baptist church and erected a church of that denomination at Logan at his own expense. He held large landed, large milling and other interests, including the townsite of Logan, and at one time owned the only newspaper in the place. On March 5, 1890, after a long and eventful career, he quit the scenes of earth. Thus, one by one the scythe of Time is mowing down the rank and file of Harrison county's pioneers. �Uncle� Henry Reel was of the old-fashioned type of men, plain, simple in habits and good at heart. He loved to be a pioneer and to live the life of such men in a new and untried section of the country.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 637, 638. Family Researcher: NA
William W. RESER -
William W. Reser is a representative farmer and stock breeder of St. Johns township, Harrison county, Iowa, and is known as one of the alert, progressive and successful farmers of this favored section of the Hawkeye state. In his labors he has not permitted himself to follow in a rut in a blind, apathetic way but has studied and experimented, and has thus obtained the maximum returns from his efforts. Mr. Reser has also conducted himself at all times so as to command the confidence and regard of the people of his community. He is a man of honorable business methods and advocates whatever tends to promote the public welfare in any way. Too much emphasis cannot be placed upon Mr. Reser's interest in the modern phases of farming. He has become a leader in St. Johns township largely through his adoption of these modern methods and he has done what all farmers are not able to do � he has proved that farming is a great and complex science which must be understood if the vocation is to be made successful.
William W. Reser was born September 21, 1869, in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, the son of William W., Sr., and Emily (WAGNER) Reser, both natives of Tippecanoe county, Indiana, and was one of eight children, he being the eldest. The other children in order of their births were as follows: H. C., Nettie, Eunice, George, Joseph, Emma and Grace. George is deceased. The father and mother of these children are still living in Paxton, Ford county, Illinois.
William W. Reser, Jr., was educated in the common schools of McLean county, Illinois. He worked by the month for a few years prior to his marriage and after his marriage, took up farming for himself. He was married December 28, 1897, to Carrie BAKER, the daughter of Luman E. and Margaret M. (Price) Baker, the former a native of New York state, having been born in Greene county, and the latter a native of McLean county, Illinois. Luman E. Baker came to McLean county at the age of twenty-one and there he was married and remained all of his life. He died some time ago, but his widow is still living in Bloomington, Illinois. They had five children, of whom Mr. Reser's wife was the eldest. The other children were Burl P., Lou, Walter and Henry. Walter is deceased.
William W. Reser, Jr., came to Harrison county in 1910 and here purchased two hundred acres of land in St. Johns township. At the time this land was purchased it was low and rather swampy, but Mr. Reser was able to see its possibilities. The land today is among the most desirable tracts in Iowa, having been improved by an extensive system of drainage installed by Mr. Reser. The house on the farm has been modernized throughout with the installation of a furnace and running water. Mr. Reser has built one of the largest cattle and hay sheds in Harrison county. It is fifty-eight by sixty-two feet in dimensions and its foundation is of concrete. Mr. Reser was one of the first men to see the possibilities of alfalfa and now has sixty acres of his farm devoted to the production of this nutritive and fast-growing crop which he uses as forage for his live stock. He feeds it to cattle, horses, hogs and chickens, and by raising enormous quantities of this product has been able to solve the problem of forage.
William W. Reser, Jr., is an active member of the farmers' club of St. Johns township and Harrison county. He has made a specialty of Percheron horses and not only raises a high grade of horses but likewise a high grade of both cattle and hogs. Fraternally, he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He and his wife are active members of the Christian church and Mr. Reser is a Republican. In local politics, however, he has not been so closely attached to the Republican party; on the contrary, having been more or less independent as a voter. Endowed with a genial and wholesome temperament, he is a welcome addition to any social gathering. He is admired and respected by the people of St. Johns township.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 751, 752. Family Researcher: NA
David A. RICHARSON -
Among the younger farmers of Cincinnati township, Harrison county, Iowa, is David A. Richardson, who is now living on the farm where he was born more than thirty years ago. His parents were early settlers in the county, his father locating here in the early fifties and becoming one of its largest landowners. Mr. Richardson has devoted himself to general farming and stock raising since reaching his majority and now owns three hundred acres of the old home farm. He is prominent in the civic life of his community and lends his hearty support to all public-spirited measures.
David A. Richardson, the son of George and Ann (COULTHARD) Richardson, was born March 24, 1882, on the farm where he is now living. His parents were natives of Scotland and Ontario, Canada, respectively. They came to Harrison county, Iowa, in the early fifties and located on a farm in Cincinnati township. His father bought forty acres of land from the government, for which he paid one dollar and a quarter an acre. He later added to this until at one time he owned about fourteen hundred acres of land. He is now living in Missouri Valley. Thirteen children were born to George Richardson and wife, David A. being the twelfth in order of birth.
The education of David A. Richardson was received in the schools of Cincinnati township. Early in life he began to help his father on the large home farm and by the time he was married at the age of twenty-three he was well prepared to take the active management of a farm of his own. He is an extensive stock raiser and sells two car loads of hogs and cattle from his farm each year. The house in which he lives was built about 1866, and was largely constructed from cottonwood sawed in the immediate vicinity. The shingles and siding were hauled from Council Bluffs by wagon, since that was many years before the railroad went through the county. The house is the oldest in the southwestern part of Harrison county and is still in an excellent state of preservation and bids fair to stand for many years yet to come.
David A. Richardson was married, December 20, 1905, to Pearl OLINGER. She was born April 23, 1885, in Cincinnati township, and is a daughter of William and Marguerite (Kerr) Olinger. Her parents are natives of Pennsylvania and Canada, respectively, her mother being born near Glencoe, Ontario, Canada. Her father came to Harrison county, Iowa, when a small boy, and her mother located here when she was about twenty-one years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Olinger were the parents of eight children, Mrs. Richardson being the oldest of the family. Mr. and Mrs. Richardson have four children, Harold George, born September 3, 1906; Marguerite Pearl, born August 20, 1908; Donald William, born October 23, 1912, and Harlan David, born January 21, 1914.
Mr. Richardson is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and has advanced to the chapter degree. In politics he gives his hearty support to the Republican party, and has been one of the leaders in his township since reaching his majority. The family are active workers in the Presbyterian church and contribute generously to its maintenance.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 809, 810. Family Researcher: NA
George D. MCINTOSH -
The McIntosh family came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1856, driving an ox team from Putnam county, Indiana. The family first located in St. Johns township, on land where the city of Missouri Valley now stands. The parents of George D. McIntosh lived in this county the remainder of their lives with the exception of four years when they were living in Kansas. When the McIntosh family came here there were still many Indians roaming through this section of the state, and elk, deer, buffalo and all kinds of wild game were to be found in abundance. In these early days there was a great deal of boating up and down the Missouri river. At that time the channel of the Missouri river was a mile and a half farther east than it is at the present time.
George D. McIntosh, the son of Moses B. and Elizabeth (MARKSBURY) McIntosh, was born on May 8, 1848, in Putnam county, Indiana. His parents were both natives of Kentucky, the McIntosh family being of Scottish-Irish descent and early settlers in the United States. The parents of George McIntosh lived in Indiana for several years after their marriage and it was not until 1856 that they decided to go west. They drove in a large �prairie schooner,� with four yoke of oxen and a one-horse team, and made the long overland trip from Indiana to Iowa. They located in St. Johns township in Harrison County, among the very earliest settlers in that neighborhood. In his boyhood days George D. plowed with his oxen practically all of the ground now occupied by the city of Missouri Valley. In 1868 the Chicago & Northwestern railroad was built through this county and as Missouri Valley was an important location, the railroad company bought the McIntosh farm, and the father then moved one mile south of the growing village. He bought another farm, but lived on it only a short time, going then to Kansas, where the family remained for four years. They then returned to this county and Moses McIntosh bought a farm one and one-half miles north of Missouri Valley, where he and his wife lived the remainder of their days.
George D. McIntosh was the sixth of twelve children born to his parents. He was eight years old when the family came to Harrison county and consequently had received part of his education in Indiana. He completed it in Harrison county, Iowa, and continued to reside at home until he was nineteen years of age. After coming to Harrison county he attended school for a time, although he had to go four miles in order to reach the nearest schoolhouse.
When he reached the age of nineteen Mr. McIntosh went out into the world to make his own living. He worked on the farm and did considerable rafting on the Missouri river. After he was married he rented land for ten years and then homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Kansas at the time his parents were living there. When his parents returned to Harrison county he sold his homestead also and returned with his wife and family to this county. He rented land until 1910 and then bought seventy-five acres in section 5 of Clay township. He carries on general farming and stock raising, making a specialty of Chester White hogs, feeding about sixty head for the market each year. He has placed many improvements upon his farm and now has it under cultivation in such a manner as to provide him a comfortable income year after year.
Mr. McIntosh was married on February 7, 1869, to Matilda J. SUMMERS, who was born in Wayne county, Iowa, a daughter of John A. and Elizabeth (Wolf) Summers, natives of Virginia. Her parents moved to Harrison county in 1891, and have since made this county their home.
To Mr. and Mrs. McIntosh were born ten children: Elizabeth, who is employed in the Smith shirt factory at Omaha, Nebraska; W. Press, who lives at home; John, who is married and lives in Morgan township; Henry, a farmer of Morgan township, who married Maggie Neal; Louis, a farmer of Cincinnati township, who married May Coburn, and has three children, Richard, David and Edith; Elsie, who married William Jobe, a farmer of Clay township; Harvey, who lives at home; Edna, who is the wife of Fred Jobe, a farmer of Clay township, and has three children, Opal, Delilah and Alice; Thomas C., who married Anna Hall, and Earl, who died when four years of age.
Mr. McIntosh is a stanch Democrat in politics, but has never taken a very active part in political affairs. He has been a director on the school board of his township for many years and also president of the board. The family are all loyal members of the United Brethren church. Mr. McIntosh has always been interested in outdoor life, due to the fact that there was an abundance of game during his earlier years. In fact, he still enjoys hunting and trapping, and has done more or less of it all of his life.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 781, 782, 783. Family Researcher: NA
William E. REYNOLDS -
A farmer of Little Sioux township, Harrison county, Iowa, who deserves a great deal of credit, is William E. Reynolds, who has been a resident of this township since 1899. He was thrown on his own resources when he was fourteen years of age and when he and his wife started in housekeeping they had practically no resources. They have worked and labored together and now he has an excellent farm of two hundred and forty acres in this county on which he has placed many extensive improvements. This has been accomplished by hard work and good management and shows that he has been a man of industry and unceasing devotion to duty.
William E. Reynolds, the son of John and Marian (McCoulley) Reynolds, was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, May 18, 1871. His parents were natives of the same state, of Dutch and Irish descent, respectively. They reared a family of four children, all sons, of which William was the eldest.
The parents of William E. Reynolds died when he was fourteen years of age, both of them dying the same year. Finding it necessary to make his own way in the world, he went to Illinois, where he lived until about 1899. While living in that state, he married and rented a farm. He and his wife both worked hard, saved their money and came to Harrison county, Iowa, where they purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Little Sioux township. The next year, they added eighty acres more. The farm was poorly improved, when Mr. Reynolds bought it, but he has since erected a good barn, granaries and a garage. He divides his attention between stock raising and general farming in such a way as to get the maximum results from his labors. In addition to his large farm, in Little Sioux township, he owns a fine farm in Monona county, Iowa, which he rents out to a responsible tenant.
William E. Reynolds was married on January 18, 1895, to Albie McKowan, who was born in Illinois, and is a daughter of Isaiah McKowan. Mr. Reynolds and his wife are the parents of two children, Edward L. and Elsie M., both of whom are still living at home.
William E. Reynolds and his family are of the Christian faith and contribute of their means to the support of that church. He is a Democrat and has been one of his party's leaders in local affairs. He has served as trustee of Little Sioux township for four years, during which time he administered the duties of the office in a satisfactory manner. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Reynolds has met with success in his life work for the reason that he has conscientiously devoted himself to his own interests. Nevertheless, he has been active in community life and ranks high among the representative men of his township and county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 968, 969. Family Researcher: NA
David ROBERTS -
One of the younger generation of farmers of St. John township, Harrison county, Iowa, is the gentleman whose name forms the caption of this article. He is considered one among the most thorough and up-to-date agriculturists of his section, and the success which is his is well deserved. He has worked hard, having started low on the ladder of success, and as he is still a young man and is bringing the best of his brain and brawn to his undertaking, he bids fair to accomplish still greater things in the years which are to come.
David Roberts was born on August 3, 1874, in Hazeldell township, Pottawattamie county, this state, a son of David, who also was a son of David, the latter having been an immigrant to this country from Wales. He came to America when young and was one of the earliest settlers of Hazeldell township, Pottawattamie county. He secured a tract of wild land and gave the best of his energies toward converting it into a proper home in which to rear his family. Many were the hardships endured by the pioneer of those early days, and the first David Roberts spent the remainder of his life on the farm to which he had given the best of his strength. His son David grew to manhood on the old homestead, attending such schools as the county at that time afforded and later farming on the homestead. He married Sarah WILDING, by whom he had two children, the immediate subject of this sketch, and a sister, Josephine, who is now the wife of Joseph Curry, of Pottawattamie county. His children were still quite small at the time of his death, in 1880, and in due time his widow was united in marriage with Frank Goodwin, and at present they reside in Missouri Valley. To this latter union were born five children: Wren, a farmer living southeast of Logan, this state; Nettie (Mrs. Jones) living in Missouri Valley; Preston, a farmer in Harrison county, where Elmer also is engaged in agricultural work, and Lulu, wife of Arther Weed, living northeast of Woodbine.
David Roberts, the third, attended the common schools of his home district when a boy, acquiring such education as facilities at that time afforded, and was early trained by his stepfather in the secrets of successful husbandry. He started out in life for himself at the age of twenty-one, but had previously (when he was seventeen) purchased a farm of seventy-four acres in Pottawattamie county. In 1899 he chose for his bride Meda Richardson, of Pottawattamie county, who has borne him three children: Vera Aleta, Durward Benjamin and Howard Chester.
Mr. and Mrs. Roberts remained on the farm in Pottawattamie county until 1912, when he purchased another adjoining farm of one hundred acres where he now lives in St. Johns township, Harrison county, known as the Friend farm. This is a fine tract of land, and since securing possession of it, Mr. Roberts has made many improvements and has brought it to an excellent state of cultivation. He carries on general farming along the lines laid down by modern science, and in addition gives considerable attention to live stock. He has produced some good horses and makes something of a specialty of his Jersey Red Duroc hogs. He also has a good strain of cattle.
Though an ardent Republican, Mr. Roberts does not take more than the average interest in political affairs. He is a regular attendant at the services of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is one of those stalwart citizens whose influence counts only for good in the community. He is always ready to take an active part in anything which makes for the betterment of community life, whether along moral, social, educational or material lines and his sincere interest in the welfare of those about him has won for him the warm regard of a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 682, 683. Family Researcher: NA
Richard ROBINSON -
Now living retired at Minneapolis after a long career in the railroad and other forms of business service at Missouri Valley, this county, Richard Robinson is a native New Yorker and of a family whose various members have lived not without creditable distinctions in their respective spheres.
Richard Robinson was born at Argyle, New York, February 7, 1848, a son of George M. and Susanna (MCCOY) Robinson, natives of the same place and with the same birth-year, 1818. The grandparents, John and Elizabeth (QUA) Robinson, located in New York prior to the Revolution, settling on part of the original grant to the Duke of Argyle and including the site of the city of Whitehall. These good people had a most substantial line of descendants from their ten children. Five of their grandsons were at one time filling pulpits in the Presbyterian denomination. One of these, William J. Robinson, was at one time moderator of the church. Another, George Livingston Robinson, is an eminent divine and scholar, has for many years held a chair in McCormick Theological Seminary at Chicago and is one of the ablest archaeologists in the fields covered by ancient Biblical literature.
Mr. Robinson's maternal grandparents were Joseph and Elinor (TAYLOR) McCoy, natives of New York. William McCoy, father of Joseph, was a soldier in the Revolution, and in the same service was John Taylor, his wife's father. The McCoys were Scots who located in America in the early colonial period. The sword carried by William McCoy in the war for independence is now the property of Joseph McCoy Robinson of Omaha.
George M. Robinson, the father, was a merchant, and died in his native town in 1866 at the age of forty-six. His wife passed away the same year of typhus fever contracted while nursing her oldest son, Joseph M., who had returned home from the army with that malady. This son, as already mentioned, is a resident of Omaha, while another son, William J., lives in Chicago.
Richard Robinson was sixteen years of age when his parents died. With an education acquired in the public schools and academy of Argyle, he came west, locating in Farmington, Illinois, where he spent the next four years, teaching winter school, with farm work in the summers. About 1870 he was placed in charge of a box factory in Chicago, and four years later moved to Crystal Lake, Illinois, and became a manufacturer of boxes and other wooden containers for pickling and preserving works. He followed this business two years, at the end of which time, in 1878, he removed to Marshalltown, Iowa, where he became identified with the Chicago & Northwestern railroad service. Four years later the company transferred him to Missouri Valley, in the same state, where for twenty-two consecutive years he was an agent. When he had performed his last office for the railroad company, he retired to a farm in Pocahontas county, this state, lived there two years, and since then has made his home in Minneapolis.
Mr. Robinson was married in his native village back in New York state, June 16, 1875, to Miss Abbie M. Coon. Her parents, both of Revolutionary stock, were Judge James S. and Jane (Clegg) Coon. The children of their union are: James S., George C., Marion H., Charles A., and William R., the latter of whom died in infancy. Those living are married, and there is one grandchild, Dorothy A., daughter of Daniel C. and Marion R. Bennett, of Minneapolis.
Outside of his work in business and his domestic relations, Mr. Robinson has been a stanch Democrat, and while a resident of Missouri Valley served twelve years on the school board, four years as president. He is a Mason and for two years was master of Valley Lodge No. 232. He also is a member of Triune Chapter No. 81, Loyal Arch Masons.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 530, 531, 532. Family Researcher: NA
Edward ROCK -
The Emerald Isle has contributed to this country citizens who have followed almost every vocation in life, men who have succeeded in business, in the professions and in agriculture. Whatever position they have filled, the Irish people and their immediate descendants have been honored in many cases with great public responsibilities. The Irish people are natural leaders, no matter in what vocation they may be engaged.
Edward Rock, who represents the second generation of Irish stock, is a successful farmer of Douglas township, Harrison county, Iowa. Mr. Rock was born on September 7, 1867, near Wheatland, Clinton county, Iowa, the son of Daniel and Mary (DOLAN) Rock, natives of Ireland. The elder Rock left Ireland when sixteen years of age and came to the United States, locating first in New York state, where he followed railroad construction work and helped build the first line across the Alleghany mountains.
Samuel Rock moved, with his family, to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in 1846, where he lived until he came west, in the early fifties, locating in Clinton county, Iowa. The family came to Harrison county in 1869, where the father lived until his death, January 11, 1911. His wife, Mary Dolan, was a daughter of Edward and Bridget Dolan. Her death occurred on June 7, 1875. They were the parents of six children, Hannorah, John, Katie, Bridget, Edward and Mary. After coming to Harrison county the family spent the first winter in Dunlap, and in the spring of 1870 they moved to Cass township, where they rented land for three years. They bought eighty acres of land in section 16, of Douglas township, in this county, in 1873, and to this the father added more acreage from time to time, until, at his death, he was one of the largest landowners in Douglas township.
Edward Rock received his education in the schools of Harrison county, his first school teacher being L. W. White. His present home is one of the best located in the township, and was built in 1888. Mr. Rock built a new barn, forty-six by fifty-two by twenty-two feet, in 1912. The farm is well improved, and consists of two hundred and fifty acres of Harrison county's best farming land. Mr. Rock carries on a general system of diversified farming, and finds that no little profit is secured from the raising of live stock for the markets. He has never married, while his sister, Bridget, who is the widow of William Schoberg, makes her home with him. She has one child, Mary, who married Henry Pryor, and has three children, Evelyn, Gertrude and Helen.
In politics, Mr. Rock is an adherent of the Democratic party, but has not taken the time to engage, to an active degree, in political matters, preferring to devote all of his time and attention to his agricultural interests. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus, and is a devout member of the Catholic church. He is highly respected in the community where he lives and where he has acquired an enviable reputation for sterling integrity, moral courage and a genial disposition. He is prosperous, enterprising and alert to all questions which concern, not only his private business interests, but the public welfare, as well.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 907, 908. Family Researcher: NA