1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Nineteen
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
William E. OLINGER -
The slogan of modern agriculture is "progress," and that is not an idle one proved by the rapid, almost incredible strides which the science is continually taking. Directly responsible for this age are the intelligent, enthusiastic men who sympathetically and with understanding till the soil. A farmer who is thoroughly alive to the possibilities of his occupation can make profits undreamed of in agriculture a few decades ago.
One of these modern farmers is William E. OLINGER, who was born on April 21, 1861, in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania, the son of Reuben and
Marguerite (ZUVER) OLINGER, and the eldest of a family of 13 children. George and Ann (STUYVESANT) OLINGER, of Hollandish descent, were the
parents of Reuben Olinger, Ann Stuyvesant being directly descended from Peter Stuyvesant, the famous historical character of New York. William
Olinger's parents came to Harrison County in 1868, renting land for about ten years, at the end of which time they bought a farm in section 2 of Cincinnati
township, where they lived until Reuben died.
Living at home until marriage, Mr. Olinger followed his father's example and rented land until 1907, in which year he bought a farm in Monona County,
moving there in 1908. He made his home on this land until the spring of 1913, and then he sold his Monona County property and bought the farm, in
sections eight and nine of Cincinnati township, where he now lives, and which is known as the old William Young farm. This land is given over to the
production of corn, alfalfa, and wheat, much of the corn being used for the fattening of the large number of hogs which Mr. Olinger sells each year.
Mr. Olinger was united in marriage to Marguerite KERR, who was born October 8, 1863, daughter of John and Mary (DOBIE) KERR, who were natives of
Scotland and who came to America in their youth, about 1848, and settled in Ontario, Canada, where Marguerite Kerr was born, the seventh in order of
birth of eleven children. It was during a visit to a sister, Mrs. John Coulthard of Harrison County, that Marguerite Kerr met her future husband, William
Olinger. To Mr. Olinger and wife have been born eight children, six of whom are living. The names of the children in order of birth follow: Pearl, born April 23, 1885, married David A. RICHARDSON, to which union were born four children, Harold, Margaret, Donald and Harland D.; Maurice, deceased;
Frances, born March 25, 1889, married Elbert DEARDORFF; William, who was born on January 8, 1891, still lives at home; Mae, born September 20,
1892, married Bennett SKOW; Carl died at the age of fifteen months; Helen, born January 15, 1900, and Mildred, born April 22, 1905.
Mr. Olinger has taken the master's degree in the Free and Accepted Masons. He has at all times taken an active and honorable part in local politics,
supporting the democratic party. He has served as township trustee, was township assessor for eight years, and was on the school board for ten years.
Mr. Olinger and his family are members of the Baptist Church. Progressive and prosperous, Mr. Olinger's healthy cheerful-mindedness and absolute
integrity have won for him an enviable position in the regard of Harrison County people.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 808-809 Family Researcher: NA
LeRoy DOTY -
Practically the whole career of LeRoy Doty has been spent in Harrison ounty, Iowa, and since the summer of 1906 he has been engaged
in the drug business in Missouri Valley. A graduate of the Highland Park College in the department of pharmacy, he has been engaged in the drug
business since his graduation and now, with W. S. Peterson of Missouri Valley, has one of the best drug stores in that city. He is a man of unusual
energy and ability, and is now serving in an efficient manner as President of the Commercial Club of his home city. LeRoy Doty, son of Wilson and Winnie (JONES) DOTY, was born near Beebeetown, Harrison County, Iowa, January 17, 1878.
His father was born in Indiana and his mother in Iowa. His father came to Iowa about sixty years ago and to Harrison County in 1866, locating at Modale, and lived there until about 1875, when he located near Beebeetown. A few years ago he retired from the farm and moved to Missouri Valley, where he has since made his home. Six children were born to Wilson Doty and wife: Oscar, a farmer of Missouri Valley; Mrs. Effie Brown of Missouri Valley; Earl, a farmer of this county; and Arthur, who is still living with his parents. LeRoy Doty was born and reared on his father's farm in this county and received a good, common school education. He remained on the farm until he was 24 years of age and then became a student in Highland Park College at Des Moines. He was graduated from the school of pharmacy in the spring of 1902 and spent the following year in the drug business at Council Bluffs. He then took charge of a drug store in Logan, Iowa, where he remained for three years. In July 1906 he embarked in business for himself in Missouri Valley with W. S. Peterson, the firm purchasing the drugstore of Roberts & Shafer. They have a well equipped store and carry a full line of drugs and druggists' sundries and have a full share of the patronage of Missouri Valley and vicinity.
Mr. Doty was married May 18, 1904, to Hattie LONGMAN, of Logan, and to this union two children have been born, Wilson and Dorothy. Mr. Doty and his wife are active members of the Christian Church and Mr. Doty is a member of the official board of this denomination, a position which he has held for several years. He was treasurer of the building committee when the present new edifice was erected. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, the Yeomen and the Homesteaders. He is clerk of the lodge of Woodmen at Missouri Valley. As president of the Commercial Club of the city, Mr. Doty has taken an active part in boosting the city, and is rightly regarded as one of the most progressive citizens of the community. He is a Republican but has never cared to take an active part in the political matters, preferring to devote all of his time and attention to his business affairs.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 773-774 Family Researcher: NA
W. G. DICKEY was born in Delaware County, Iowa, on October 11, 1870, the son of W. G. and Hattie (SHERMAN) DICKEY, the former a native of New York, the latter a native of Ohio. W. G. Dickey, Sr., was a farmer, lumberman and stockman who came to Iowa in 1859, locating in Dickeyville, Delaware County, Iowa, which town was named after the family since several persons of this name had settled there. W. G. Dickey, Sr., was a Republican in politics and was appointed postmaster at Hazel Green, the post office at Dickeyville. Hazel Green was a small village and here Mr. Dickey died in 1899. His wife was born in 1833, and is still living, making her home with her son, W. G. Dickey. He is the only child born to his parents. His father and mother, however, adopted a little girl, Katie, who is now deceased.
W. G. Dickey received his early education in the home schools and in the high school at Maxwell, Iowa, afterward becoming a student in Drake University at Des Moines. After leaving school, he spent one year in the show business as an advance agent, after which he was connected with the St. Paul & Kansas City Grain Company, operating a station for a period of one year. Subsequently, Mr. Dickey became an agent of the Terry Shows, being a No. 2 agent for two years with an Uncle Tom's Cabin company. He then became general agent for the Terry Shows and served in this capacity until 1903, when he became a partner in the business, the firm being known as Dickey & Terry. Another company which produced 'Ten Nights in a Barroom' was organized, and this company was called Dickey, Jones & Terry. Uncle Tom's Cabin has been produced continuously for twenty-six years. The show was organized, originally, by people who lived at Little Sioux; O. Q. Setchell and Fred Terry, who were brothers-in-law. The show was first produced at Lexington, Illinois, February 19, 1890. The winter quarters are at Little Sioux, Iowa. It is a tent show in the summer and exhibits at all towns through the winter.
W. G. Dickey was married first to Elizabeth CLAUSEN, and to this union one child was born, Gwendoline, who is the wife of C. M. MASON, of Cambridge, Iowa. Mr. Dickey was married the second time to Mrs. Corinne CHUNN. As one of the unique figures in the life of Harrison County, and as one who has attained a unique success, W. G. Dickey is a man who is eminently entitled to representation in the annals of his county. He has become well known through his association with shows bearing his name, but aside from his professional reputation, he is a wide-awake citizen, a keen student of human nature, who has experienced phases of life that fall within the range of few men's careers.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 976-977 Family Researcher: NA
Charles B. DRAIN -
In his particular line of business there are few men in this county who have a more comprehensive grasp on the technique of the vocation in which their
talents are being exercised than Charles B. Drain, who for the past 18 years has been foreman of the erecting department of the Chicago & Northwestern
Railroad Company's shops at Missouri Valley. Since the year 1884, Mr. Drain has been connected with the railroad service and has come to be
recognized as a man of exceptional ability in his line. Practically his whole active career has been given to the mechanical side of the railroad service,
and he has done faithful and conscientious work for his employers.
Charles B. Drain, the son of John and Martha DRAIN, was born at Council Bluffs, Iowa, May 9, 1865. His father died about 20 years ago and his mother is now living at Chadron, Nebraska.
C. B. Drain was educated in the schools of Plattsmouth, Nebraska, to which place his parents had removed when he was four years old. He was
graduated from the high school and at once engaged in the railroading business. He spent one summer at Topeka, Kansas, as foreman of a sidewalk
gang, and in 1884 went to Missouri Valley where he worked for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company as a night caller. He worked at this for
nine months and was then made roundhouse foreman. Recognizing the fact that he did not have the practical experience to qualify for a good position in
the railroad shops, he returned to Chadron, Nebraska, where he served an apprenticeship as a machinist. In 1890 he returned to Missouri Valley and
again took a position with the chicago & Northwestern railroad in the shops in that city. Five years later he was appointed to the position of erecting shop
foreman and has since filled that position in a very satisfactory manner.
Mr. Drain was married March 29, 1890 to Mattie HILL of Council Bluffs, Iowa, and to this union have been born two sons, Harry and Lawrence. Harry was
born in 1892, was graduated from the Missouri Valley high school and will be graduated in 1915 in the mechanical engineering course at Ames College,
Ames, Iowa. Lawrence was born in 1895, and after he was graduated from the Missouri Valley high school entered Iowa State University where he is
taking the dental course. During the summer vacations, he works as a bookkeeper in the car shops in his home city. Mr. Drain is a member of the
Modern Woodmen of America. Politically he is a Republican, but the nature of his duties are such that he has never taken an active part in political
matters. His wife and sons are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Drain is a self-made man and owes his present position solely to his own
initiative and well directed efforts. He is highly regarded by those who know him as a man of sterling character and honesty of purpose.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History Family Researcher: NA
Samuel DRAY -
Among the prosperous farmers of Harrison County who employ all the latest and most scientific methods of 20th century farming, is SAMUEL DRAY of
Cincinnati township. Although not born in this state, Mr. Dray came here with his parents when seven years of age and has since resided here. He is the
owner of a splendid 80-acre farm, known as the "River View Farm," having been named for the River View Farmers Club, of which Mr. Dray was an
organizer and is now a member.
Samueal DRAY was born on September 28, 1864, in Hancock County, Ohio, son of Thomas and Mary (HAMILTON) DRAY, natives and farmers of Ohio. They reared a family of nine children, of whom Samuel was the third. The family came to Harrison County, Iowa, in 1871 and located near Missouri Valley, where they followed farming and where they spent the remainder of their lives. The Dray family is principally of Irish descent, although some of their ancestors have been of other nationalities.
Being seven yers of age when he came to this county, Samuel Dray received all of his education in the public schools of Iowa. He remained on the home farm with his parents until he was 21 years of age, when he left home with his brother. They "batched" together and operated a farm for three years. Samuel Dray was married in 1898, after which he rented land for two years and then bought his present farm in section 36 of Cincinnati Township,
Harrison County, where he has since resided. Here Mr. Dray carries on general farming and stock raising, in which he has been very successful. He has improved this farm since purchasing it and now has one of the best kept and most up-to-date farms in the township. mr. Dray was married on April 23, 1898 to Hettie HENRY, who was born July 23, 1873, in Ohio. She is the daughter of John and Elizabeth (TIMMEY) HENRY, who came to Harrison County about 1876. To this union have been born six children, four of whom are living. They are: Albert Louis, born on February 6, 1890, who married Eva BRUNDAGE; Roy E., born March 8, 1892, who married Cora PHILLIPS, and who has one daughter, Dorothy May; Leta May, born April 2, 1894 and Florence E., born March 22, 1910. The two latter children are still living at home with their parents.
Mrs. Dray is a member of the Presbyterian Church and although not a member of this church, Mr. Dray contributes liberally to its support. Mr.Dray is a
Democrat, but has never been an enthusiastic politician. He has, however, served as township trustee and held other minor offices. Mr. Dray is a
member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Yeomen of America, the Homesteaders, and, as heretofore mentioned, is a member of the
Riverview Farmers' Club. He and his wife are members of the Daughters of Rebekah. The Dray family is well known and highly respected in Cincinnati
township and Harrison County, where they have a large circle of friends and acquaintances.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 917-918 Family Researcher: NA
M. S. VAN EATON -
The career of M.S. Van Eaton, who is now living a retired life at Pisgah, Harrison County, Iowa, is full of very interesting incidents. Born in Minnesota, at a time when the Indians were still very troublesome, he lost his father when a small child and afterward lived in various placed with his mother, who later remarried, until he came to Harrison County in 1876. He has made this county his home since that time, with the exception of ten years when he was in Canada where he engaged in farming and buying and shipping horses. During his active career in this County, he was engaged in the hardware business, but having been very successful in his affairs while living in Canada, he has retired from active work and is devoting his time to the managing of his business interests.
M. S. Van Eaton, the son of Reverand Thomas and Caroline (POYNER) Van Eaton, was born at Faribault, Rice County, Minnesota, on July 8, 1859. His
father was born in Wisconsin, and his mother in Terre Haute, Indiana. M. S. Van Eaton was a minister in the Methodist Church and also engaged in
farming, and all of the five children were born and reared on the farm. The Van Eaton family are of Dutch descent, whose genealogy has been traced
back for more than six hundred years. It is indeed noteworthy that during all of these centuries, not one of them has ever been convicted of a crime or
misdemeanor, and that all of them have lived lives of usefulness and honor.
Rev. Thomas Van Eaton sold his farm in Rice County, Minnesota, in 1861, and took up a government claim in Pope County, in the northern part of the
same state, where he farmed and in addition held religious services at the different settlers' homes in the community. The Sioux Indians at that time
were on the war path. The settlers asked for guards from the Government. Troops were sent, but some of the frontier districts were not afforded the
proper protection. Among them Pope County was an unfortunate example.
On Sunday morning in August 1862, Rev. Thomas Van Eaton and family went to the school house, where they were holding meetings. After the services
were over, the family were invited to the home of a neighbor for dinner. The dinner had just been served when a man came running, out of breath, and
informed them that the Sioux Indians had broken out and were headed in that direction, destroying everything in their path, that he had expected to find all of them massacred before he could reach them. Mr. Van Eaton, with his wife and five children, including M. S., started for Soc Center, a distance of twenty two miles from Grove Lake, where they lived. Another family lived about eight miles in the opposite direction. Neighbors were not plentiful in that time, and it was necessary for someone to reach this family to warn them of the impending dangers around them. After starting his own family on the road to safety, he himself made the trip, warned his neighbor and family of the outbreak, overtaking his family on the road to their destination, at which place they arrived safely, and where he enlisted in the Home Guards. After two days' drilling, he decided to return to his home to look after his stock. The Captain promised to send with him three men, but at the last moment they failed him, and he was forced to return alone. When he reached the place where his home had stood, he found that the Indians had destroyed everything, among which was a rather large collection of books. In those frontier days, these books were rare and of great value. The Indians had carried out the books and thrown them in a heap on the ground and there had killed his best cow on the heap, thus soaking the books in the blood and totally destroying them.
Mr. Van Eaton started to return home, but was never seen alive again. The Indians had chased him into a slough where his horse mired, and after a fight
for his life in which not a few Indians paid the penalty of death, he was killed. Four months later they found his body lying on the prairie with his head
gone, and it was not until nine years later that his head was found on a hill and was easily recognized as the head of the lamented minister, because of a
dent in the skull. The Indians had decapitated him after killing him and had then taken his head up to the hill and held a war dance around it.
Soon after this tragedy in the home, the mother moved into Blackhawk County, Iowa, near Waterloo, where she had a brother who helped her to care for
the young children. Some time later, she married James EMMERSON, and moved to LeMars, Iowa. Here the family lived until 1876, when they moved to
Magnolia, Harrison County, Iowa, where the mother lived until her death in 1912.
M. S. Van Eaton lived at the home of his mother in LeMars until the age of 17 when he began to follow the carpenter trade. After working at that trade for
some time, it was discovered that he was exceptionally fast when it came to shingling or lathing. He followed this line alone for 15 years, 6 years of which time he held the world's championship in these two lines, backed by a printed challenge that had been posted by a banker friend in LeMars. As a result of this challenge, he entered 27 contests and won them with comparative ease. The hardest man he ever met was his brother, T. C. Van Eaton, now of Eatonville, Washington. The best day's lathing M.S. ever did was 5,000 lath in ten hours, or 315 yards, and the best day's shingling was 10,000 shingles in ten hours. He followed this trade until it began to injure his health, when he moved to Tacoma, Washington, where he did teaming and contracting work, during the boom of that city, after which he returned to Magnolia, Iowa, where he handled implements for about five years. About that time the Northwestern Railway Company put in a branch from Wall Lake to Mondamin, Iowa, and rumors were afloat that a new town was to be established at the site of Mt. Pisgah, in Jackson township, this county. Consequently, Mr. Van Eaton felt that here would be a good place for a store. He immediately sold his store building in Magnolia and built a new one on the proposed town site of Pisgah. It proved to be a fortunate venture. The town boomed and business flourished from the start. He received the first carload of merchandise which was shipped over the new road - a carload of wagons. After being in the business in mt. Pisgah for several years, he disposed of his store and moved to Saskatoon, Canada, where he bought a large farm. During all the time he was in Canada, he farmed from six hundred and forty to one thousand acres of land. In addition to his farming, he traveled over the country and bought horses and sold them, selling about twenty-one hundred during the ten years that he lived in Canada. He also bought and sold land and handled more than thirty thousand acres during his residence in that country.
M. S. Van Eaton had accumulated a very comfortable fortune by 1913, so he decided to sell out his holdings in Canada and return to Harrison County to
spend the remainder of his days. In that year, he came back to Pisgah, where his wife and son had located the year previously, and again purchased the
hardware store which he had formerly owned. He has not been actively engaged in business since returning to this county, but gives his attention to the
general management of his extensive business interests. Such, in brief, is the career of M. S. Van Eaton, and it is certainly a history which should be
preserved in the annals of his county.
M. S. Van Eaton was married on March 1, 1887, to Pearl DERRY, who was born in Iowa, August 24, 1867, and is a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth
DERRY, old settlers in Harrison County and the parents of three children. Mr. Van Eaton and his wife have one son, Charles S., who was born on August
10, 1889. He is a graduate of the Latter Day Saints College at Lomoni, and later graduated from the Iowa Business College, at Council Bluffs. He has
also been a student at the University of Chicago and is a young man of marked promise and ability. He was married to Bertha STEELS of Kansas City,
Missouri, and is now managing the hardware store which he has bought from his father. His wife's grandfather, Jarius PUTNEY, was one of the earliest
pioneer settlers of Monona County. Charles is a very active and prominent young man in the community but has never aspired to office. He is a public
speaker of ability and is frequently called upon to deliver addresses of various kinds.
Mr. Van Eaton and his son are both Republicans. Mrs. Van Eaton is a member of the Church of Latter Day Saints, and Charles and his wife are also
members of the same denomination.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 954-957 Family Researcher: NA
Swart VAN PATTEN -
One of the oldest farmers of Harrison County, Iowa, is Swart Van Patten, who came to this county in 1872 and has lived here ever
since, with the exception of two years which he spent in Jackson County, Iowa. He has engaged in farming and in the mercantile business in Missouri
Valley and has been uniformly successful in all of his ventures. While living in Missouri Valley he has served as councilman and assessor, but has never cared to participate in official life. Mr. Van Patten is one of those high minded and honorable citizens whose lives are an inspiration to others. He is honest and upright in all of his dealings and no man in the county is held in higher esteem by his fellow citizens while his life has been such as to
commend him to all with whom he has been associated.
Swart Van Patten, a retired farmer now living in Missouri Valley, was born in Schenectady County, New York, December 7, 1846. He is a son of Francis
Philip and Agnes (SWART) VAN PATTEN, both of whom were natives of the same county and state. His father was born November 16, 1821, and died
October 2, 1910 at Springfield, Iowa, at the age of eighty nine. His mother died in March 1868.
Francis P. Van Patten followed farming until 1867, and then became connected with the fuel supply department of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway
Company west of the Mississippi River, and continued with this company until about 1875 when he retired from their service and devoted the remainder
of his active life to farming. He was married three times. His first wife was Agnes SWART, and to this union seven children were born, five of whom are still living: Swart, of Missouri Valley; Mrs. Alice Stewart of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; Mrs. Nellie Kraut of Portland, Oregon, a widow; Mrs. Josie Lucas of Salina, Colorado; and Hattie of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The second wife of Francis P. Van Patten was Emma SHAW, and to this union one son was born, Frederick, who now lives in New York City. There were no children born to his third marriage.
Swart Van Patten lived with his parents in New York state until he was about ten years of age and then removed with them to Cook County, Illinois where
he was reared to manhood. He began farming as soon as he was old enough and followed this occupation until 1882. He had married in Illinois, and in
1872 he came to Missouri Valley, Iowa, and farmed in Harrison County until 1882, when he removed to Jackson County, Iowa, and followed wood sawing
for two years. In 1884 he moved to Missouri Valley and has made this city his home for the past thirty years. He was engaged in business in this city until 1896 when he sold out and invested his money in farming lands three miles from the city. He spent part of the time in a grocery store and later engaged in the retail meat business. In 1900 Mr. Van Patten and his sons bought the old E. T. Matthews place in Calhoun Township, three miles north of Missouri Valley, but has always maintained his home in Missouri Valley.
Mr. Van Patten was married December 7, 1870, to Maggie ANDERSON, who was born and reared at Constantine, Michigan. They were married at
Brickton, Cook County, Illinois, and to this union three children have been born: Cornelius Roman who is a machinist and has been in the employ of the
Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company of Missouri Valley for more than twenty years; Albert, a locomotive engineer with headquarters in Missouri
Valley; and William George, who is a traveling salesman for the Simmons Hardware Company, traveling out of Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mr. Van Patten is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Modern Woodmen of America, and in politics he has always given his hearty
support to the Democratic party, but has never cared to take an active part in political life. However, his party has prevailed upon him to accept
nominations at different times, and his services as councilman and assessor of the city were marked by faithful and conscientious work in behalf of his
fellow citizens. He was elected to these offices by a majority of more than two to one over his respective opponents, a fact which shows the high esteem
in which he is held in the community. Mr. Van Patten and his wife are loyal members of the Christian Church. For several years, he was a deacon and for two years he held the office of church treasurer of his denomination. Mr. Van Patten is held in highest esteem by his fellow citizens because of the clean and wholesome life he has lived and the purity of his everyday life.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 819-821 Family Researcher: NA
Albert L RADTKE -
The Radtke family have been residents of Harrison county, Iowa, since 1873, when the parents of Albert L. Radtke located in this county. The family is of German ancestry and for more than forty years have taken a prominent part in the agricultural life of the county. Albert L. Radtke has been unusually successful as a farmer and stock raiser and for many years has ranked among the most enterprising farmers of Magnolia township.
Albert L. Radtke, the son of William and Matilda (SMITH) Radtke, was born September 30, 1867, in Sibley county, Minnesota. His father was born in Germany in 1846, and came to America with his parents when he was fourteen years of age, and located in Wisconsin. The family shortly afterwards moved to Minnesota, where William grew to manhood and enlisted for service in the Civil War. He was a member of Company A, Fourth Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and while in the hospital during the Civil Was as a result of an injury, he became acquainted with his future wife. After his marriage, William Radtke located in Sibley county, Minnesota, but in 1873 removed to Harrison county, Iowa, where he lived until his death in 1903. His wife was born in Germany December 5, 1848, and came with her parents to America when she was a year old. She died November 15, 1907. Eighteen children were born to William Radtke and wife. The reader is referred to the history of George G. Radtke for further information concerning the Radtke family.
Albert L. Radtke was six years of age when his parents located in Harrison county, Iowa, and consequently he received all of his education in this county. At the age of eighteen he began working for himself. Four years later he bought a team of horses and farming implements, and, with his brother Henry, rented one hundred and twenty acres of land in Lincoln township. Three years later Albert Radtke rented his father's farm for a couple of years and then bought a farm in Allen township. Soon after this he sold his farm in the latter township and bought the old home place of one hundred and fifty-nine acres, on which he has since resided. He is a breeder of thoroughbred Duroc-Jersey hogs and Durham cattle. He has been very successful in his live stock business.
Mr. Radtke was first married in 1894 to Mary E. ALTER, who was born in 1876, in Harrison county, and was a daughter of Adam and Mary (Griffith) Alter. Her father was born in Germany and her mother in Scotland. They became early settlers of Harrison county, where they lived the remainder of their lives. The first wife of Mr. Radtke died December 8, 1900, leaving one son, Edward R. In 1904 Mr. Radtke was married to Laura HAUFF, who was born in Harrison county, in 1874, and is a daughter of Frederick and Barbara (Leslein) Hauff, natives of Germany. Her father was born in 1817 and died in Harrison county in 1894. Her mother was born in 1839 and died in 1914. Mr. and Mrs. Hauff were pioneer settlers in Harrison county, where they reared a family of eight children. Mr. Radtke has no children by his second marriage.
Mr. Radtke has always given his loyal support to the Republican party and is now serving as trustee of Magnolia township in an acceptable manner. He and his wife are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal church, while fraternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. Mr. Radtke is one of the excellent German-American farmers of the county and the success which has followed his efforts has been richly deserved. He is a man of genial manner and kindly disposition and is recognized by all who know him as a man of honor and integrity.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 842, 843. Family Researcher: NA