1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies Page Eighteen
Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
"Jasper W. BONNEY arrived in Harrison county in 1856 with a party consisting of 13 teams. He started from Buchanan county, Iowa, and fell in with an emigrant party which really had no objective point in view, so they kept traveling on toward the setting sun. They struck the Little Sioux river at Cherokee, following it to its mouth, hence their settlement here. Among this party of home-seekers and land-lookers were J. W. BONNEY, A. Gleason and family, Arthur Knight and wife and child; Hiram Phillips, three sons and one daughter; Thomas Guinter
and family, James Gilen, then a single man, and a few others. During that never-to-be-forgotten winter of 1856-57
this whole party remained in a large log house in the village of Little Sioux. Nearly all became permanent settlers in
Jasper W. BONNEY went on to enlist in the Civil War in the 4th Infantry Regiment, Iowa Volunteers,
Company B. He enlisted 10 July 1861 and resigned on 8 August 1863. He filed for his pension in 1891 in Iowa, but
his widow Addie F. (FULLER) BONNEY filed for a widow's pension from Arkansas. Together they had at least two
children: Gale F. Bonney, born 1878 at Little Sioux, Iowa, and Lynn Bonney, born 1891 at Little Sioux. Bonney burial
records for Harrison County, Iowa, include: Benjamin Bonney (was this Jasper's father?), d. 1888; Charley Bonney,
d. 1896; Harrison Bonney, d. 1917; Nellie Bonney, d. 1913; Phil Bonney, d. 1912; Ruben Bonney, d. 1929.
Source: excerpts from the 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, contributed by Mona Sarratt Knight Family Researcher: NA
"H. P. MORROW. -
The career of H.P. Morrow has been a strenuous and varied one, entitling him to honorable
mention among the representative citizens of Harrison County, although he is no longer a resident of this county. His
influence, however, still pervades the lives of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances he made during an extended
residence in Harrison County. The success which he has attained has been due greatly to his steady persistence,
rugged integrity, excellent judgment and genial disposition, qualities which have also won for him the confidence and
esteem of the public.
H.P. Morrow, the son of Patrick and Elizabeth (Hasson) Morrow, was born March 17, 1844, in Toronto, Canada, and
came with his parents to Harrison County, Iowa, in the spring of 1856, settling near what was then known as Soldier
Bridge, two and one half miles northeast of where Mondamin now stands.
Mr. Morrow's early life was not especially different from that of other young men whose parents brought them to
pioneer homes in Harrison County. He was educated in the pioneer schools of his neighborhood and performed the
usual work which fell to the lot of the boys of his locality. In 1864, Mr. Morrow went to Colorado and shortly after his
arrival there, enlisted in the 3d Colorado Cavalry and performed distinguished service as a soldier in the Union
Ten years later, in 1874, Mr. Morrow was married to ROSE A. FERGUSON, daughter of William and Susan
(McFeeley) Ferguson, who was born in Rensselaer County, New York, December 6, 1853, and came with her
parents to Harrison County in 1860. The Fergusons first located in Magnolia, but in 1870 moved to a farm north of
that place where Rose A. Ferguson resided at the time of her marriage. To H.P. and Rose A. (Ferguson) Morrow 11
children have been born as follows: Mrs. M. T. McEvoy; Patrick, who died at age sixteen; William E., who died in
infancy; Mrs. G.L. Gamet; Mrs. W.L. Stuart; Rose I.; Mrs. Joseph Toben; Mrs. W.G. Finley; Agnes M, who died in
infancy; H. Philip and P. Joseph.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Morrow located on a farm in Allen township where they resided 19 years. Mr. and
Mrs. Morrow found the educational facilities of Allen township somewhat meager, and in 1895 moved to Missouri
Valley in order that their children might possess better educational advantages. Five years later, in 1900, the
Morrows moved to Mondamin, where Mr. Morrow engaged in the general merchandise business until 1908. In that
year, he sold out his mercantile business and two years later filed a claim for a homestead in Colorado. This claim
was proved up in 1911. In 1912, Mr. and Mrs. Morrow and four of their children took up their residence in San
Diego, California, where they are now living.
H.P. Morrow is remembered as one of the substantial citizens of Harrison County, a men who was well known for his
upright character, his unswerving fidelity to public or private duty and his interest in all things that pertain to the
welfare of a community. Mr. and Mrs. Morrow have lived to rear a large family who, in the declining years of their
parents, respect them and honor them with the love of sons and daughters who themselves have enjoyed a large
measure of parental devotion. H.P. Morrow is a men of noble instinct, who well merits the esteem in which he is held
by the people of Harrison County.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 684-85 Family Researcher: NA
Frank S. Whiteman - One of the enterprising and successful farmers of La Grange township, Harrison county, Iowa, who has succeeded in his life's vocation, largely by his own courage, persistency and good management, is Frank S. WHITEMAN, a man who believes in lending what aid he can to his neighbors and the general public, while advancing his own private and individual interests. He is regarded as one of the best citizens of Harrison county and is, therefore, entitled to representation in this volume.
Frank S. WHITEMAN was born December 11, 1865, in Jasper county, Iowa, the son of John and Martha (PEERY) WHITEMAN, the former born in 1838 in St. Louis, Missouri. John WHITEMAN was a soldier in the Civil War and a farmer. He enlisted from Jasper county, where he farmed until 1884. He then moved to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and farmed there until his death in 1896. Martha PEERY was born in 1845 in Indiana and is now living in Logan, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. John WHITEMAN were the parents of four children, Frank S., the subject of this sketch; Charles, deceased; Mrs. Ada ADAMS, of Valley Center, Kansas; and Mack.
Frank S. WHITEMAN remained at home on the farm until twenty-two years old when he rented land in Pottawattamie county, Iowa. He farmed this land for eight years and then bought land in Madison county, Nebraska. Later he bought a farm in Harrison county, Iowa, and owned and rented land in different parts of this county. He came to Harrison county in 1895 and bought his present farm in 1906. It consists of one hundred and sixty acres. Mr. WHITEMAN keeps a high grade of stock and particularly prizes his horses which are of the Percheron breed.
In 1895, Frank S. WHITEMAN was married to Hattie BRESEE, who was born on September 20, 1879, in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, daughter of Augustus and Rebecca (HOLMAN), both of whom died when Hattie was three years of age. Eight children, all of whom are at home, have been born to this union. Charles, Stella, Lee, Blanche, Mary, Hazel, Herman and Morrell.
Mr. WHITEMAN is a Democrat and while he is not a member of any church he attends religious services regularly and is more or less active in church work. He is not a member of any secret order, but devotes his attention principally to the welfare of his family to whom he is deeply devoted. Mr. WHITEMAN is a man of splendid character, popular in the community in which he lives, industrious, frugal, a good manager and a typical American citizen in every respect.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 827-828 Family Researcher: NA
Jens SORENSEN - The little kingdom of Denmark has furnished to this country many of its very best citizens, and none of the worthy sons of this little kingdom who have come to the United States are more worthy and more honored than Jens SORENSEN, a farmer and stock raiser of Calhoun township, Harrison county, Iowa. The true measure of success is determined by what one has accomplished, and Mr. SORENSEN has made commendable progress since coming to the United States.
Jens SORENSEN was born January 8, 1861, in Denmark, the son of Soren and Engar M. (MATENSEN) SORENSEN, who were the parents of eleven children, three of whom are deceased. Two of the deceased children are buried in Denmark. Soren SORENSEN was born in 1812 in Denmark, and came to Iowa in 1885, settling in Pottawattamie county. He remained here one year, after which he returned to Denmark, but only remained in Denmark eleven months, when he came back to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, and remained there until his death in 1902. His wife, Engar M. SORENSEN, was born in 1832 in Denmark, and was buried at sea while en route to the United States.
Jens SORENSEN left Denmark just prior to the time his parents emigrated, and came to Council Bluffs, Iowa, after arriving in the United States. At Council Bluffs Mr. SORENSEN worked by the month as a gardener for three years. He then purchased twenty acres of land in Pottawattamie county, near Council Bluffs, Iowa, and became a truck gardener. He lived here for fifteen years. In 1905 he sold out his holding there, and purchased one hundred acres of land in Jefferson township, Harrison county, which he greatly improved in many ways, and in 1912, sold out again and bought a well-improved farm of two hundred acres in Calhoun township. He has made a great many improvements on this farm since 1912, when he purchased it. Of these improvements, not the least is a set of farm scales, which Mr. SORENSEN has installed. He is an extensive feeder of hogs, and ships from fifty to one hundred head to the markets each year.
Mr. SORENSEN was married in 1890 to Anna C. MELLIN, who was born in 1868 in Sweden. She is the daughter of Andrew and Caroline (GREENING) MELLIN, both natives of Sweden. Mrs. SORENSEN'S father is deceased, and her mother is now living is Sweden. Mrs. SORENSEN left her native land in 1887, and came to Wahoo, Nebraska. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. SORENSEN: Carl, deceased; Mrs. Esther KIRKWOOD, of Crescent, Iowa; Mrs. Elsie CLARK, of Calhoun township; Jessie, at home, Roy, Ina and Helen, the last three named living at home.
Mr. SORENSEN is independent, and prefers to cast his vote for individual candidates, irrespective of party politics. The family are all members of the Danish Lutheran church, and contribute liberally to its support. Mr. SORENSEN is an active member of the Danish brotherhood. The SORENSEN family are highly respected where they live and are justly entitled to representation in a volume of this character and should be included among the leading citizens of Calhoun township.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 828-829 Family Researcher: Jan Burch at Redsongbirdjmb@aol.com
Kerton SORENSEN - The Danish farmers of Harrison county, Iowa, have always been ranked among the most successful farmers of their respective communities. Kerton SORENSEN came to this country from Denmark when he was seventeen years of age and located in Monona county, Iowa. Mr. SORENSEN came to Harrison county in 1907 and now owns one of the largest farms in Allen township. On this he has built one of the finest country homes in the county and also one of the largest barns. In all respects he is one of the most progressive and enterprising farmers of the county and there are few farms in the state which are better equipped for general farming and stock raising.
Kerton SORENSEN, the son of Soren and Anna (THOMPSON) JENSEN, was born on March 22, 1864, near Horsen, Denmark. His father was a farmer in the old country and died when Kerton was about ten years of age. His father had been twice married, and Kerton was one of six children by the second marriage.
About seven years after his father's death, or in 1881, Kerton SORENSEN came to this country with his mother and four brothers and sisters. The eldest brother had come to the United States the previous year. The family located near Castana, Monona county, Iowa, and here Kerton SORENSEN lived until he was married, in 1888.
After his marriage Kerton SORENSEN bought his mother's farm and lived on it until 1907. In that year he sold this farm and bought four hundred and forty acres in section 24 of Allen township, Harrison county, where he now lives. The farm was only partially improved when he acquired it. Three years later he built a large eleven-room house, which is modern in every respect. In the same year he also erected a large barn, fifty-four by sixty-four by thirty feet. He also has built numerous outbuildings, of various kinds, in order to care for his grain, stock and farming implements. In fact, Mr. SORENSEN has added every convenience which is demanded by the twentieth-century farmer, and in all respects ranks high among the farmers of the county. He feeds on an average two hundred head of hogs for the market each year and also sells about two carloads of cattle.
Mr. SORENSEN was married on January 28, 1888, to Anna HENDRECKSEN, who was born in Denmark, and is a daughter of Henrick and Caren NICKELSON. Her parents came to the United States in 1882, her father dying shortly afterward. The mother then made her home with Mr. and Mrs. SORENSEN. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. SORENSEN, all of whom are still living at home, Marius, Agnes, Henry, Lawrence, Helen, Fred and Axel. The two eldest children were educated in the high school at Woodbine, while the other children are preparing themselves for high school educations.
Mr. SORENSEN and his family are loyal members of the Lutheran church and deeply interested in its welfare. He is a Democrat, but has never held any office, other than that of school director, in his township. Mr. SORENSEN, in every way, is one of the leaders in his community. He believes in having the best of everything and enjoys life to the fullest measure. He has two automobiles, a Ford and a Hudson Six, and derives a great deal of enjoyment from his automobiles. He lost a fine new Apperson car by fire in 1914. The career of Mr. SORENSEN, since coming to this country, has been in every way commendable, and he will merits inclusion among the representative men of this township and county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 924-925 Family Researcher: Jan Burch at Redsongbirdjmb@aol.com
Rev. Father M.F. NOLAN -
One of the most valuable citizens of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is the Rev. Father M. F. Nolan, the pastor of St. Patrick's Church in that place. Born, reared and educated in Ireland, he came to America in 1896 and located in Iowa. He has ministered to various churches in this state and has been connected with the parish at Missouri Valley since 1908. He is not only interested in all the work pertaining to his church, but has also taken an active part in all movements for the good of the city. He is frequently asked to assume the leadership in public and civic work, and when the present public library of Missouri Valley was dedicated, he was selected as the speaker for this occasion. He is a member of the Commercial Club and a strong and consistent booster of the city where he makes his home.
Rev. M. F. Nolan, the son of Daniel and May (COX) Nolan, was born in Ireland, August 23, 1872. His parents were both natives of Ireland and lived all their days in their native land. Father Nolan received his primary education at St. Michael's College, Ireland, and his classical and theological training at All Hallows Seminary, Dublin, Ireland. After completing his theological training in Dublin, he was ordained to the priesthood at that place, June 24, 1896. In September of the same year, he came to America and his first ecclesiastical service was as assistant pastor of St. Mary's Church at Ottumwa, Iowa. Later he was transferred to the churches of St. Mary at Centerville and Albia, Iowa, where he was stationed for four years. His next appointment was at Nichols, Muscatine County, Iowa, and during the four years of his pastorate in this latter place, he built the present twenty thousand dollar church building. While living at Nichols, he also had charge of the parish at Arden in the same county, and built a church there also. After leaving Nichols, he was sent to Adair, Iowa, and after three years of efficient work in that place, he was transferred to Missouri Valley May1, 1908, as pastor of St. Patrick's Church.
Father Nolan's record in Missouri Valley has been indeed noteworthy. He has materially increased the church membership and influence in every way. His church now enrolls seven hundred fifty members and is entirely out of debt, and during the past six years, ten thousand dollars has been expended in improving the church property. At the present time, the church is planning to build a parochial school in order to provide training for the children of the Catholic families.
Father Nolan is beloved by his own parishioners and is also popular with all classes of people. As a participant in the community life of Missouri Valley, he always stands for the best interests of the city and consequently extends his powerful influence in favor of all worthy movements. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and is Chaplain of the local council of that order.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 754-755 Family Researcher: NA
Zachariahc Taylor NOYES -
Prominent among the business factors in the community about Mondamin, Harrison County, Iowa, will be remembered Z. T. Noyes, who was born in Morgan County, Ohio, in 1849. His father, John Noyes, and his mother, Mary (STARKS) Noyes, were prominent in the early settlement of this county. John Noyes died in 1885. This is an Englishf amily, which emigrated to Maine and thence to Ohio at a very early date. Zachariah T. Noyes was only a small boy when his father, who was known as Captain Noyes, with his family, came to Harrison County. He was reared and educated on this western Iowa soil, and here he won out in the undertakings of a businessman. In youth, he worked around his father's steam saw-mill and upon the farm nearby. In 1872 he commenced merchandising in company with his father, the latter then being an extensive dealer in general merchandise and grain shipper. Upon the death of his father, he took full charge of the business at Mondamin, where success crowned his every effort. He built up a large trade and held the confidence and esteem of hundreds who bought and sold goods over his counter. He was an ardent supporter of the Republican party; belonged to the Congregational Church and was identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He sold his interests in this county many years ago and now resides in one of the Pacific states.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 754-55 Family Researcher: NA
Jesse F. NUZUM -
Some of the best farming land in Harrison County, Iowa, is found in Allen township, and one of the most enterprising farmers on this section is J. F. Nuzum, who has been engaged in general farming and stock raising in this county for many years. He keeps well informed upon the latest advances in agricultural methods, and in this way makes a very comfortable living from his well improved farm. In common with most of the farmers of the county, he gets his greatest returns from the sale of live stock and as a producer of hogs ranks high among the farmers of his township. While interested in good government and all that it implies, he has never been active in politics and has never cared to aspire to official position.
J. F. Nuzum, the son of Jesse F. and Elizabeth (FONNER) Nuzum, was born June 25, 1856, in Delaware county, Iowa. His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania, of Irish and German descent, and reared a family of thirteen children.
Jesse F. Nuzum lived at home until he was twenty-one years of age. During this time, he received a good common school education and was trained by his father in those habits of thrift and industry which have made him the successful man he is today. After reaching his majority, he began to work out by the month, and for five or six years continued in this way. He then married and began rending land in Pottawattamie county, this state, for five or six years, and in 1891 came to Harrison county and bought 80 acres in Allen township, which he farmed for a few years, when he sold it and bought 60 acres near where the Allen postoffice used to be located, in section 4. One this farm he lived about eight years and in 1899 bought his present farm of one hundred twenty acres in Allen township in section 23. This farm is watered by a cross creek which runs through it and furnishes a plentiful supply of running water the year around. This feature adds not a little to the value of his farm and is of great advantage to him in the raising of stock. He feeds on an average about one hundred head of hogs for the market each year and also raises stock of other kinds in proportion.
Mr. Nuzum married on February 20, 1884, to Fanny FORD. She was born in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, daughter of Frederick and Rebecca (HORN) Ford. The Ford family are of English descent. Mr. And Mrs. Nuzum are the parents of eight children, seven of whom are living and two of whom are married. Bertha married John Tiffy and lives in Missouri Valley. Mr. And Mrs. Tiffy have two children, Carl and Burel. Frederick J. died when he was about twenty three years of age. The living children who are still at home are: Raymond; Albert; Linzy; Edith who married Antonia Wakehause in 1915; Lillie; and Howard. Mr. And Mrs. Nuzum are justly proud of their bright children, the father of whom delights to tell of the shrewdness of his youngest son, Howard. When only ten years of age, Howard could drive a keen bargain in making a trade. At this age, he traded an old milch cow for a six-year-old horse, although neither of his parents knew about the trade at the time it was made.
Mr. Nuzum is a Democrat but has never held an office and has no desire to engage in the game of politics. He prefers, rather, to devote all of his time to his farm and domestic circle. He is essentially a man of domestic tastes and is never happier than when seated by his own fireside and surrounded by his immediate family.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 754-55 Family Researcher: NA
George W. BURBANK -
Born and reared in Canada until he was fifteen years of age, George W. Burbank then came to the United States, and since the spring of 1879 has been aresident of Missouri Valley, Iowa. He started out when a young man to become an expert machinist and has been following this trade for nearly half a century. For the past 28 years, he hs been foreman of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company's machine shops at Missouri Valley, and bids fair to continue in the same position for years to come. He has been active in the civic, educational and religious life of his city and ranks as one of the public-spirited and enterprising men of the town where he has long made his home.
George W. Burbank, the son of Luke and Sarah (COMBS) Burbank, was born at Danville, Province of Quebec, Canada, December 5,1858. His parents, who were both natives of New Hampshire, after their marriage moved to Canada, where his father followed farming until his death. Twelve children were born to Luke Burbank and wife, seven sons and five daughters, eight of whom are still living: M. C. of Missouri Valley, Iowa; Emily, the wife of R. McCloud of Ellis, Kansas; Mrs. M. A. Wade of Sedalia, Missouri; Mrs. James Willie, of St. Johnsbury, Vermont; M. F. a resident of Cherokee, Iowa; D. H. of Somerville, Massachusetts; W. H. of Danville, Canada; and George W. of Missouri Valley.
The boyhood days of George W. Burbank were spent at Danville, Canada, where he received his elementary education and worked until he was fifteen years old. He then spent one summer at Portland, Maine, and from there went to Manchester, New Hampshire, where he started to learn the trade of a machinist. He lived in Manchester until 1870 and after his marriage in that summer, removed to Worcester, Massachusetts, where he lived for six years, following his trade as a machinist. In 1876 he moved with his family to Cherokee, Iowa, where he served as a stationary engineer for one year. His next employment found him in Sioux City, Iowa, where he followed his trade until March 1, 1879. At that time, he came to Missouri Valley as a journeyman machinist in the Chicago & Northwestern railroad shops. He worked hard and faithfully and efficiently, and his ability was recognized by his appointment in March 1887 as foreman of all the shops of the railroad company at that place. He has held this position continuously since his appointment in that year, a fact which speaks well for his good service.
Mr. Burbank was married July 12, 1870 to Mattie C. NELSON, of Sutton, New Hampshire, where she was born and reared. They were married at Manchester, that state, and to their union five children have been born: Edna M., wife of W. G. Colthaid of Harrison County, Iowa; Geretrude, who died in infancy; Amy G., wife of A. E. Smith a druggist of Rockwell, Iowa; Clifford E., who married Ada Jones, the daughter of P. W. Jones, and is employed as a machinist in the railroad shops at Missouri Valley; and Winfield, who married Eva Farver, daughter of Mr. Farver of Little Sioux,Iowa, and also is employed as a machinist in the Missouri Valley railway shops, both having served their required time.
Mr. Burbank has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows since 1870, and a Mason since 1877. He has filled all of the chairs in both lodges and has been secretary of the Masonic lodge in Missouri Valley for a quarter of a century. He is a Republican in politics and has always taken an intelligent interest in political matters. For nine years, he was on the city council and for seven years he was an efficient member of the school board. The family give their support to the Presbyterian Church in whose welfare they take an active interest.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County, Iowa, pp. 772-73 Family Researcher: NA
George W. COIT, M.D. -
One of the earliest settlers in Missouri Valley, Iowa, is George W. Coit, M.D. who has been enegaged n the practice of his
profession in this city since the fall of 1866. Not only as a physician, has he been prominent in the history of the city, but as a public-spirited citizen, as
well. He comes from distinguished ancestry and such has been his career that it has but reflected luster on an honorable family name. He is a man of
high intellectual attainments, commanding personality, and has been a familiar figure in the history of Missouri Valley and Harrison County for more than
half a century.
George W. Coit, M.D., the son of Nathaniel and Mariam (PLACE) Coit, was born December 9, 1837, in Bloomfield, New Jersey. The Coits trace their
ancestry in what is now the United States back to 1632, when John COIT of Glamorganshire, Wales, emigrated to Gloucester, Massachusetts. His son,
John Jr., eventually located with a colony from Massachusetts, at New London, Connecticut, where the family lived for many years. They became ship
builders and the members of the family followed this occupation for several generations. When the Revolutionary War broke out, Doctor Coit's
Grandfather, Samuel Coit, who was then eighteen years of age, joined the Continental Army. He was wounded at Fort Griswold, in Connecticut, the
surrender of which fort resulted from the treachery of Benedict Arnold. The paternal grandmother of Doctor Coit, who was then only sixteen years old, fled with the remainder of her family to the woods while the town was burned by the British. Her name was Sylvia Lewis.
Nathaniel Coit, the father of Doctor Coit, was twenty-seven years old when the War of 1812 broke out, and he served during that War in a New York
regiment. He tried to enlist for service during the Civil War, but was refused on account of his age. He died in 1866, at the age of eighty years. Doctor
Coit's mother's family, the Places, are of French ancestry, the first members of the family to come to America locating at Long Island, near Hempstead.
Doctor Coit's Grandfather Place was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and a man of sterling character. Doctor Coit's father was a merchant in New York City for 35 years and was one of the first men to build a house in New Jersey. Nathaniel Coit and his wife, who died in 1876, were the parents of six
children, four sons and two daughters, Rev. John S., who died in Boone, Iowa in 1867; Rev. C.S., who was an active minister in Newark, New Jersey for
many years; Mrs. Sarah C. Winne, and E.R., who was a captain of a sea-going vessel for several years and later located in Harrison County, Iowa.
Doctor Coit was educated in the common schools of his home, in New Jersey, and later attended the seminary at Cazenovia, New York; Wesleyan
University, Middletown, Connecticut, and the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati. During the rebellion, he spent two years as a surgeon, and in August
1865 returned to New York and spent the winter at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, graduating from that excellent institution in March 1866. He at once came to Missouri Valley, Iowa, where he has since made his home.
Doctor Coit was one of the pioneer practitioners of the county, and during his younger years was often compelled to cross trackless prairies, faced the
winter blizzards, forded the swollen streams, and traveled the muddy roads throughout the county. He was elected one of the vice-presidents of the
National Railway Surgeons at Buffalo, New York, in 1891 and served when the association met at Fortress Monroe, the following year. He was chosen
president of the Iowa State Railway Surgeons Association at Des Moines, Iowa, in 1894 and served as President at the Marshalltown meeting, in 1895.
He was elected second vice president of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Surgeons in 1909, and the following year was elected first vice president.
He was elected President of this association in 1911. After having served as Chief surgeon of the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railway for over 25 years, he resigned on July 1, 1912.
Doctor Coit has been a life-long Democrat and has taken an active part in the civic life of his community. He was president of the school board for almost
20 years and took an active interest in the educational welfare of the city. He was president of the Missouri Valley Electric Light Company for a number of years.
Doctor Coit was married on April 23, 1867, to Anna Armstrong CLARKE, at Hudson City, New Jersey. She was born in Wheeling, West Virginia and her
father, John F. Clarke, was a descendant of Elizabeth Zane, who carried the powder in her apron to Fort Henry for her uncle, Colonel Zane, by this act
saving the fort. Mrs. Coit's father was the New York agent for the Pennsylvania railroad for nearly 40 years, and died while in the employ of the company. Her mother died when Mrs. Coit was 14 years of age. Doctor Coit and his wife are the parents of two children, Nita and John Clarke. Nita, who was born April 14, 1868, was married to Herbert D. Allee of Omaha, Nebraska, October 14, 1891. Mr. Allee and his family now live in Detroit, Michigan, where he holds the responsible position of auditor of the Parke Davis Company, manufacturing chemists. John Clarke Coit was born June 22, 1872, and is now a member of the firm of Lee, Coit & Andreesen, wholesale hardware dealers of Omaha, Nebraska. He is general manager and secretary of the firm. Doctor Coit and his wife spend their winters in California. They are members of the Presbyterian Church and active in its welfare. The doctor has served as an elder in the church for more than 30 years.
Doctor Coit is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is a member of the Nebraska Consistory No. 1, at Omaha, and the Tangier
Temple of Shriners in the same city. He is one of the grand old men of Missouri Valley and is certainly entitled to inclusion among the representative men of the city and county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 848-50 Family Researcher: NA