Go to: Home Page 

1915 Harrison County Iowa Biographies
Page Fifteen

Please wait while this page fully loads
If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line biographies).
Page Index:
Reynolds | Siebels | Jones | C Ruffcorn | S Ruffcorn | Earlywine | Edmonds | Ehlert

John W. REYNOLDS - The excellent farming land of Harrison county, Iowa, has attracted farmers from all parts of the United States, and there are probably few states east of the Mississippi river which are not represented in the population of this county. From Ohio has come John W. REYNOLDS, one of the prosperous younger farmers of Little Sioux township. Left an orphan when a child, he was reared by his uncle and when only sixteen years of age started out to make his own way in the world. After reaching his majority he came to Harrison county and began farming in Little Sioux township, where he has since lived.

John W. REYNOLDS, the son of John and Martha (McCOULLOUGH) REYNOLDS, was born in Ohio, February 12, 1880. His parents were pioneers of Ohio and lived there all of their days. They reared a family of four sons, all of whom are living in Iowa.

John W. REYNOLDS was between four and five years of age when his parents both died, and he was then sent to his uncle, Isaac REYNOLDS, in Illinois, where he made his home until he was about sixteen. He received a good common-school education in Illinois and worked on his uncle's farm during the summer vacations. In this way he became acquainted with the various phases of farming so that when he left his uncle's home he was able to do any kind of farm work. He began working out by the month and remained in Illinois working on farm in his uncle's neighborhood until he was twenty-two years old. He then came to Harrison county, where his three brothers had previously located, and after his marriage rented a farm. During his residence in this county, Mr. REYNOLDS has lived on three different farms, having occupied his present home place for the past seven years. He is an energetic and progressive farmer and gives that degree of attention to his grain and stock raising which assures him a comfortable income.

Mr. REYNOLDS was married in 1905 to Emma SCHULTZ, who was born in Olney, Illinois, and was one of several children born to her parents, who died when she was a child. Mr. and Mrs. REYNOLDS have no children.

Mr. REYNOLDS is a Democrat, but thus far has not been active in political affairs. He and his wife are well and favorably known in the community where they have lived for the past ten years and where they have many friends.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 511, 512.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


Adolph SIEBELS - It is a pleasure to investigate the career of a successful, self-made man. Peculiar honor attaches to that individual who beginning the great struggle of life alone and unaided, gradually overcomes unfavorable conditions, removes one by one the obstacles from the pathway of success and by the master strokes of his own force and vitality succeeds in forging his way to the front and winning for himself a competency and a position of influence and esteem among his fellowmen. Such is the record of the popular citizen of Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, to a brief synopsis of whose life and accomplishments the following lines are devoted.

Adolph SIEBELS, president and general manager of the SIEBELS Department Store Company, incorporated, is a native of this state, born in Davenport on May 11, 1877, son of Henry and Katherine (CORNELIUS) SIEBELS. Henry SIEBELS was a native of Germany, coming from Schleswig-Holstein, while Katherine CORNELIUS, also of German birth, was born on the Island of Fehmern, lying off the coast of Schleswig-Holstein. The former came to this country when quite a young man and came at once to this state, locating at Davenport. To this same city also came the latter with her parents and there the young people met, drawn together by kindred ties. For a number of years the elder SIEBELS was a maker of wagons, but about the time of the close of the Civil War he discontinued this work and became a tiller of the soil, having secured farming lands in Pottawattamie county, this state. John SIEBELS is still living, making his home at Minden, this state, his wife having died March 11, 1914.

Adolph SIEBELS was the youngest of a family of five children, the others being Henry, August, Frank and William, and when a youth he attended the common schools of the town of Minden, later entering the mercantile field at the same place. For five years he was an employee, laboring faithfully and securing valuable information in the line he had decided to make his life vocation. He went into business for himself at the early age of twenty-one years, remaining in his original location for a number of years, and in 1904 he moved to Woodbine, which has since been the seat of his activities. On November 19 of that year he opened up a general merchandise store, with himself as sole proprietor, and thus continued the business until 1908, at which time he admitted his brother August to partnership and the firm then became known as SIEBELS Brothers. Under this style the firm was known for about three years, the brothers continuing in partnership for but two years, however, Adolph having repurchased his brother's interest, managing the business alone for two years. Under his capable management the business continued to grow steadily and on January 1, 1911, the SIEBELS Department Store Company, Incorporated, was organized with a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars. The immediate subject of this sketch, as is fitting, fills the office of president and general manager of the concern; W. D. Howarth is secretary and treasurer and the board of directors is composed of Messrs. SIEBELS and Howarth, together with G. C. Duvall and S. Wood. The company deals in all kinds of general merchandise with six distinct departments, namely: groceries, dry goods, shoes, men's clothing, women's ready-to-wear garments and millinery. Mr. SIEBELS has long since demonstrated his excellent business ability and is today numbered among the leading business men of this part of the state. He has attained his present gratifying degree of success alone and unaided and is in the full sense of the word a self-made man. Since coming to Woodbine many years ago, he has been one its most enterprising citizens, always ready to give support to any movement having as its object the ultimate good of the community along social, moral, education and material lines.

Mr. SIEBELS is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and contributes liberally of his means to forwarding the work of that organization. He holds fraternal affiliation in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, Modern Woodmen of America and Woodmen of the World through the local lodges at Woodbine and he is also affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks at Council Bluffs. He is a stanch supporter of the Republican party, but in view of engrossing business cares, has never found time to take an active interest in political affairs.

On July 16, 1903, Mr. SIEBELS was united in marriage with Mabel BELKENAP, daughter of J. B. and Flora (TAYLOR) BELKENAP of Council Bluffs. Their union has been blessed with three children, Jerome Adolph, Harrold Henry and Ethel Alma. Mr. SIEBELS is a man of genial nature, unassuming in his relations with others and because of his genuine worth and high qualities of character he is deserving of the high regard in which he his held by all who know him.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 506, 507, 508.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


J. Ellis JONES - It is not always an easy matter to discover and define the hidden forces that lie back of an active and successful life. Usually little more can be done than to note their manifestations in any particular life under review, and of the subject of this short biographical sketch, it can be truly said that he has brought to whatever duty lay before him an alert mind and a ready hand. J. Ellis JONES, well known farmer and stock man of St. Johns township, Harrison county, Iowa, has in the course of his career fully demonstrated the fact that he is possessed of more than ordinary business ability, for not only has he managed his own affairs in a way which has brought him material success, but he has used this same trait in such a manner as to bring about many better conditions for the community in which he has chosen to make his home. Well posted on all the affairs of the day, a genial man to meet, he has throughout his life added his quota to the services rendered by Harrison county's leading citizens, and has done his part toward raising the banner of civilization high and bringing about modern conditions to help make brighter and broader the every-day life of those of his community.

Mr. Jones is a native of this county, having first seen the light of day on March 4, 1861, at the family homestead in St. Johns township, section 33. His parents were William M. and Sarah (ELLIS) JONES, both native born Hoosiers, the father coming from Washington county and the mother from Greene county, Indiana, near the town of Linton. Both grew up in their native state, receiving their education in the common schools of that day, and, after their marriage, they lived in Putnam county until 1855, when they found themselves afflicted with what was termed the "western fever," and gathering together their most needful belongings, they started bravely out on the overland journey to this state, making the trip in the covered wagons that for so many years were such a familiar sight along all the highways leading toward this section. They first settled in Appanoose county, this state, remaining there however but two years, after which they lived for a time in Pottawattamie county, and later came to Harrison county. It was in 1861 they settled in this county, finding a location on Honey Creek, LaGrange township, where they secured a tract of land and set about establishing a home. They erected a log cabin and gradually reclaimed their land from the grasp of the wilderness. A certain portion of success had come to them by the time the father died in 1888, at the age of sixty-five years, the mother's death occurring in 1908 at the advanced age of seventy-six years. During the time the family had been established in this county, the father had made a reputation for himself as a well posted and successful farmer, and stock man. In politics he was a Democrat, although never aspiring to office. He was a man widely known and most highly respected by all, and for a number of years was active in the work of the Baptist church. He had been twice married, his first wife being a Miss ALDRIDGE, who also was born and reared in Indiana, where her death also occurred. She bore him five children, namely: Emily (Mrs. Mace) of Medicine Lake, Washington; Martha (Mrs. Hatcher) of Pottawattamie County, this state; Allen S., a retired farmer of Missouri Valley, this state; Silas A., also residing at Missouri Valley, and John H., who is located at Fremont, Nebraska.

By the second marriage there were seven children, of whom the eldest is William W., residing in St. Johns township, this county, and a sketch of whose career will be found elsewhere within the pages of this book; E.G., is engaged in farming in St. Johns township; Aseneth is the wife of T.R. Deweese and lives in Kansas City, Missouri; Amanda is Mrs. P.R. COX, of St. Johns township; while Winnie is the wife of Wilson DOTY and resides at Missouri Valley, this state. The sixth child in order of birth is the immediate subject of this sketch, and the youngest of the family is Harvey L., who lives on the old homestead in LaGrange township, this county.

J. Ellis JONES received such education as the schools of the county afforded when he was a youth, and he remained under the parental roof until the time of his marriage at the age of twenty one. On September 7, 1882, he was united in marriage with Jemima DEAL of St. Johns township, this county, daughter of James E. and Hannah (CASE) DEAL, both born in Indiana, the former of Greene county and the latter in Putnam county. In 1852 the Deals came to Harrison county and secured a tract of land in section 24 of St. Johns township, where they made their home for many years. Previous to coming to this section, James E. Deal was a miller, but came to be a successful farmer after becoming a citizen of this state. His death occurred on the farm he had developed in 1907 at the age of 84 years. His wife had preceded him into the unknown country, her death occurring in 1896 at the age of 65 years. Both wee devout members of the Baptist church and in politics he was a Democrat, although without any desire for public office. Isaac, their oldest son, was born on March 17, 1847 and died unmarried. Sarah A., who was born November 27, 1848, is the widow of Thomas Acrea of Logan, Indiana. The third child of the family is John W., born on July 30, 1851, who is located in St. Johns township, this county, where he is engaged in agricultural work, and a sketch of whose career will be found elsewhere within this volume. Timothy R., born on May 27, 1855, lives in Washington; Tabitha Jane, born on October 22, 1857 is the wife of William M. JONES of St. Johns township, a biographical sketch of whom also is presented elsewhere in this volume. Hannah, born on October 20, 1859, is the wife of B.C. Wood, of Sumner, Nebraska; John J., born on December 1, 1864, resides at Council Bluffs, Iowa; Martha A., was born on March 28, 1867, and is the wife of Theodore Jones of Aledo, Oklahoma. Eli F., born on December 28, 1869, also lives in Oklahoma, while J. Harvey, the youngest of the family, born on June 25, 1872, resides at Missouri Valley, this state. It will thus be seen that Mrs. Jones comes from one of the good old pioneer families, the members of which are widely scattered, but each in his way has done something toward bringing about the development of this county, materially and ethically..

After marriage, Mr. Jones and his young wife lived for one year on the home farm of his father and then located on land in section 18 of St. Johns township, where for two years he operated a large stock farm for J.P. LAHMON. For the following three years, he was engaged in the harness business in Missouri Valley, but turned again to the land and for two years he farmed land which he rented in St. Johns township. He later purchased 80- acres in section 31 of this township, to which he gradually made several additions until at one time, he owned 120 acres. This he disposed of in 1900 and purchased a tract containing 697 acres in Calhoun township, known as the old Kellogg stock farm. He remained there but three years, when he sold out and returned to St. Johns township, purchasing the W.T. RODEN farm where he has since made his home. This farm contains 558 acres and is accounted some of the best land in the county, and a glance over its broad acres will fully demonstrate the fact that the owner thereof employs up-to-date methods in his farming and stock raising, for everything is as orderly as may be and shows systematic care. In 1907 Mr. Jones erected a beautiful home containing eleven rooms, modern throughout and with its private electric light plant. He has built a large barn, thirty-six by fifty-two feet, three stories high, and added many other valuable improvements. In every respect, it is a model farm home and may well be patterned after by the struggling young agriculturist. Mr. Jones is known as a stock man. He is a breeder of more than local reputation and also buys and feeds for market.

Mr. Jones is a member of the Christian church of Missouri Valley, to the support of which he is a generous contributor. He votes the Republican ticket and has taken a commendable interest in politics as relating to local affairs. For 20 years he has been a school director and was appointed a member of the county board in 1914, but owing to his extensive business interests was forced to resign. He also served as a member of the board of trustees of Calhoun and St. Johns townships for 12 years. With all the demands made upon his time by his own private interests, he has found time to devote to public interests, being always in the front ranks of those desiring improvement for the local community along any line. He was one of the organizers of the Missouri Valley telephone line No. 1, first installed in 1902, and was also the promoter and president of the Rural Telephone Association incorporated in 1908. He helped organize the Union Farmers' Club in 1900 and has only missed one meeting since its organization. He holds his fraternal affiliation with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows through the local lodge at Missouri Valley, and Mrs. Jones is a member of the Daughters of Rebekah.

To J. Ellis and Jemima (DEAL) JONEs have been born five children: Homer E., who was born August 22, 1883, is a farmer and stock raiser of St. Johns township. He married Nellie Brown, and to their union have come five children, Doris, Lyle, Hugh, Bruce and Ward, the latter of whom died in infancy. The second child of the family is Ethel, born December 3, 1884, and married to Leslie J. BEEBE of Beebetown, this state, a farmer and stock man, and they are the parents of three children, Bennett, Ruth and Ellis. Herman B. was born on September 9, 1889, and married Fannie HOWARD. He is engaged in farming and stock raising in St. Johns township and is the father of two children, Cecil and Frances Marie. Ray E. was born on April 13, 1891 and also lies in St Johns township, where he too is engaged in farming and stock raising. His wife, before her marriage, was Luella PODENDORF and they have one son, Harold. Glen B., the youngest child of the family, was born on February 8, 1901 and remains at home with the parents.

Mr. Jones is in every respect a self-made man and can justly take pride in his accomplishment. He has proved himself a true man in every relation of life and a citizen of the highest order. As may be expected, Mr. Jones is widely known throughout the county and wherever he is known, he is honored and respected. A successful man in business, morally honorable and upright in every respect, an enterprising and unselfish citizen and excellent husband and father, he fills a big place in the local scheme of affairs, and it is eminently proper that a review of such a life be recorded in the history of this county.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 546-548.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


Clark RUFFCORN - The RUFFCORN family were among the pioneer settlers of Harrison county, Iowa, located here as early as 1867. Clark RUFFCORN bought a small farm before his marriage and has since added to it until he now owns three hundred acres of excellent framing land in Morgan township. He has been very successful in all of his agricultural operations and is now taking life easy, after having spent many years of ceaseless industry. He is highly respected throughout the community, where he has made his home for so many years, and few farmers in the county have excelled him in all that goes to make the successful farmer.

Clark RUFFCORN is a son of Lewis and Mary H. (BAKER) RUFFCORN, and was born on March 26, 1860, in Meigs county, Ohio. His parents were both of German descent, his father being a farmer, brickmason and plasterer. The family lived in Ohio, until 1867, when Lewis RUFFCORN brought his family to Harrison county to make their permanent home. He rented land for a few years and then bought a farm in Morgan township, where he lived until his death.

Clark RUFFCORN was one of nine children born to his parents. He was seven years of age when the family located in Harrison county, and consequently received all of his education in the schools of this county. He remained at home until he was twenty-two years of age, and then bought sixty-two acres in section 14, of Morgan township. He lived on this farm for two years, his sister keeping house for him. After his marriage, in 1883, he settled down to the life of a farmer and stock raiser. Each year he has become more prosperous and the farm has been placed in better condition. Year by year he has added to his land holdings, and his present farm of three hundred acres is a glowing tribute to his success in all lines of endeavor. While yet a youth, he and his brother, Simon R., bought a threshing machine and corn sheller. After the first two years, he bought out his brother's interest and operated the outfit alone. The first land which Mr. RUFFCORN bought, cost him ten dollars an acre while some of the land which he has since acquired has cost him one hunderd and twenty dollars an acre, while none of it could be bought at that present time for less than one hundred and fifty dollars an acre, which goes to show the rapid increase in value of land in this county.

Mr. RUFFCORN was married on April 22, 1885, to Ida F. CASSITY, who was born on April 6. 1868, in Mills county, Iowa, and is a daughter of John and Catherine (KINDEL) CASSITY. Her parents were natives of Kentucky and Indiana, respectively, and early settlers in Mills county, Iowa. When Mrs. RUFFCORN was a small girl, her parents located in Harrison county, where they lived the remainder of their lives. Mr. and Mrs. RUFFCORN are the parents of six children, two of whom are married, Laura and Fern. Laura is the wife of Dexter BARKER, of South Dakota, and has two children, Gladys and Joy. Fern is the wife of Everett WATTS, a farmer of Morgan township. The single children who are still living at home are Sherrell, Robert, Syble, and Heber.

Mr. RUFFCORN is a stanch Republican as was his father before him. An indication of the high esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens is shown by the fact that he has served as trustee of his township for nine years. Since his sons have become old enough to be of material assistance on the farm, Mr. RUFFCORN has been taking life easy. He has a fine automobile and takes frequent fishing and hunting trips. He enjoys fishing on the Missouri river, which is only a short distance from his house. His sons are ardent sportsmen as well, and do a great deal of hunting. When Mr. RUFFCORN first came to Harrison county, deer, turkeys, ducks and geese could be found in abundance up and down the Missouri river, and game is still abundant in places.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 932, 933, 934.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


Simon RUFFCORN - The RUFFCORN family have been prominent residents of Harrison county, Iowa, since 1867, when the parents of Simon RUFFCORN located in this county. Mr. RUFFCORN started in for himself by buying a farm and has since added to his holdings, from year to year, until he now owns four hundred and sixty acres of the best land in the Missouri valley bottoms. Mr. RUFFCORN has engaged in extensive stock raising and has met with much success in all of his agricultural operations.

Simon RUFFCORN was born on March 4, 1856, in Meigs county, Ohio, and is a son of Lewis and Mary J. (BAKER) RUFFCORN, both natives of Ohio, of English descent. His parents reared a family of ten children, Simon being next to the eldest in the family.

When Simon RUFFCORN was thirteen years of age, his parents came with their family to Harirson county, Iowa, they drove through from Ohio and the trip took a little over six weeks. They first rented land and three years later bought eighty acres, for which they paid seven dollars an acre. Simon lived at home until he was twenty-six years old. He had received part of his education in Meigs county, Ohio, and completed it in Harrison county. He worked with his father until he left home and then bought sixty-two acres of land for ten dollars an acre. As he has prospered, from year to year, he has added to his original farm until he now has four hundred and sixty acres, in Morgan township. This land is now worth about one hundred and sixty dollars an acre. At the time of purchase Mr. RUFFCORN paid as much as eighty-five dollars an acre for part of it. With the completion of the Soldier ditch, the branch of which drains Mr. RUFFCORN's farm, he has been enabled to bring all of his land under cultivation. Nearly all of his live stock is eligible for registering, but he does not bother about having it listed. He is an extensive raiser of hogs and cattle and he and his sons manage the whole farm. For thirty-five years, previous to 1913, Mr. RUFFCORN operated a threshing machine every summer, but has now retired from that line of activity.

Simon RUFFCORN was married on March 22, 1885, to Florence MORGAREIDGE, who was born in Harrison county, and is a daughter of Oscar and Susan (BURCHAM) MORGAREIDGE, natives of Ohio and Missouri, respectively. Simon and Florence (MORGAREIDGE) RUFFCORN are the parents of eleven children, ten of whom are living. David M., the eldest son, died on October 11, 1911, having married Effie BURKETT. Three other children, Nora, Gustine and Wesley are married. Nora Married Watson BELLVILLE, of Mondamin, and has three children, Elsie, Ivy and Oscar; Gustine married William HARRINGTON, a farmer in Morgan township and has four children, Marie, Florence, Everett and Harold; Wesley, who married Hazel BAXTER, has two children, Otis and Leonard, lives on one of his father's farms. The seven children unmarried and still living at home are Oscar, Jessie, Paul, Evan, Mary, Helen, and Zeal.

Simon RUFFCORN is a Republican in politics, but has never been active in political matters. He was on the Solder ditch commission and was instrumental in bringing about the construction of this much-needed improvement. His farm has good buildings and he is the proud possessor of the largest orchard in Morgan township. In all respects, Mr. RUFFCORN measures up to a high standard of American citizenship, and the community in which he has resided for so many years, is proud to claim him as one of its number.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 984, 985.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


James EARLYWINE - The best corn grower of Harrison county, Iowa, is James Earlywine, who is not only the champion corn grower of his county, but one of the best in the state. He has the honor of raising a bushel of corn which sold for eighty-one dollars and fifty cents at auction, the highest price ever paid for corn in the state of Iowa. The farm of Mr. Earlywine lies in the Soldier River bottoms, and no better farming land is found in the world than that which he is now tilling. The success of Mr. Earlywine in his farming is well merited, since it was several years after his marriage before he was able to buy a farm of his own and now he ranks among the progressive farmers of his county, few farmers in the state having had better general success.

James Earlywine, the son of Thomas and Sarah (PARKS) EARLYWINE, was born on August 1, 1870 in Harrison county, Missouri. His parents were natives of Ohio and Indiana, respectively. Thomas Earlywine was a soldier in the Civil War, serving as a member of the 8th Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He was at the front for four years, and was mustered out as a corporal. He was with Sherman on his campaign through Georgia and the Carolinas to Washington, D.C. Thomas Earlywine was married before going to war and he and his wife reared a family of eight children.

James Earlywine moved to Harrison County, Iowa, with his parents when he was about three years of age, and located near Mondamin. His father lived on this farm until the death of the mother, at which time he moved to Logan, Iowa, where he now resides. He is a Republican and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic.

James Earlywine received all of his education in the schools of Mondamin, and lived at home until he was married, after which he rented land for about 12 years. He was not satisfied to remain a renter, but saved his money with the intention of buying a farm of his own. He finally bought 40 acres of land in Morgan township, and later added to this a tract of 170 acres. He lived on this farm a few years and then bought 105 acres in the Soldier River bottoms, buying the land before it was drained, paying fifty dollars an acre for it. This land is now not only the most valuable land in the county, but as valuable, for farming purposes, as can be found any place. Since moving on this farm, Mr. Earlywine has built new buildings of all kinds. He has a nine-room modern house, equipped with every convenience which the fondest housewife could wish. He has a large barn, cribs, granaries, chicken houses, hog houses and every building which is demanded by the up-to-date farmer. He engages in general farming and stock raising and makes a specialty of Reed's Yellow Dent corn. He has shown his corn at all the corn shows in this section of the state and has won sweepstakes for the past five years. His hogs are all full blooded Duroc-Jerseys. In fact, all of his stock is high class and much of it is eligible to be registered. Mr. Earlywine is progressive and scientific in his farming, and a few years ago took the farmers' short course at Logan in order to better qualify himself for his chosen life work. He takes a great interest in farming, finding it a pleasure instead of drudgery, as do so many farmers. He is frequently spoken of as the foremost farmer in his township, and there are those who say that he should be classed with the best in the county. Mr. Earlywine was married on March 26, 1894 to Etta WILLS, who was born in Mondamin, daughter of Henry and Dora (SHEETZ) WILLS. Her parents were natives of Ohio, who came to Harrison county about 1858. Mr. Earlywine and his wife are the parents of two children, Gerald, born July 26, 195, and now a student at Mondamin, and Rhea, born on November 19, 1902.

The family are all earnest members of the Christian church. Mr. Earlywine is a member of the modern Woodmen of America. In politics he is a stanch Republican and has served as trustee of Morgan township with excellent satisfaction to his fellow citizens. Sufficient has been said concerning the career of Mr. Earlywine to indicate his value to the community in which he resides, and it is a pleasure to record in this volume his interesting career for the perusal of future generations.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


William S. EDMONDS - The Edmonds family was one of the first to locate in Jackson township, Harrison county, where the family have been prominent in the history of the county for more than half a century. William S. Edmonds was born in this township and has spent his entire life here in agricultural pursuits. He has one of the best farms in the county and a beautiful country home, which is modern in every respect. He is one of the most extensive cattle and hog raisers in the township and ranks high among the leading agriculturists of a county which boasts of many excellent farmers.

William S. Edmonds, the son of Orson and Mary A. (BURNS) EDMONDS, was born November 2, 1859, in Jackson township, Harrison County, Iowa, near where the town of Orson now stands. His parents were natives of Michigan and Baltimore, Maryland, respectively, and moved with their respective parents parents to Wisconsin, before their marriage. After they were married in Wisconsin they came at once to Harrison county, Iowa, and located in Jackson township. They drove through from Wisconsin to this county in a wagon and located on land which Orson Edmonds had bought two years previously, while working in the county. He became a large landowner and at one time had more than 700 acres. He lived in this township until his death. He was a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and was a Democrat. Six children were born to Orson Edmonds and wife.

William S. Edmonds was the eldest child of his parents and remained at home until he was married. His father being a large landowner, he had plenty of work to do during the summer vacations of his school days, and by the time he reached his majority was well qualified to take the management of a farm of his own. Before he was married, in 1892, he had bought part of his present farm, and to this he has added acre after acre, until he now owns 422 acres of good land. He gives a portion of his attntion to stock raising and feeds from four to five carloads of cattle and about 100 head of hogs for the market each year. He has a fine set of buildings on his farm, including a comfortable home, large and commodious barns and outbuildings and every modern convenience which is demanded by the twentieth-century farmer.

Mr. Edmonds was married on January 27, 1892, to Molly E. KING, who was born in Ohio and is a daughter of Addis and Lucretia (SAFFELL) KING. Her parents were natives of Ohio and came to Harrison County, Iowa, in 1884 where they located on a farm in Little Sioux township, where they lived for four years. They then moved to Morgan township where they lived until 1912, and then retired and moved to Little Sioux to spend their declining years. Mr. Edmonds and his wife have three children: Florence, born on January 3, 1893; Roy, born September 4, 1897, and Oryl, born March 13, 1906.

Mr. Edmonds and his family are attendants of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been a leader in Democratic circles in his township for many years and has served three terms as trustee of Jackson township. His long service in his office indicates that he is highly regarded by his fellow citizens. Mr. Edmonds takes an active interest in everything pertaining to the welfare of his township and county and never fails to ally himself with those measures which he feels will benefit his community.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 931, 932.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


Fred EHLERT, JR. - The life of the farmer of today is the most independent existence which can be enjoyed, and with all the modern inventions to facilitate farming, it is rapidly losing those objections which have always seemed so ominous to the average farmer lad. The public school has taken cognizance of farming and today that science is being taught in the schools of Iowa. Our colleges and universities are conferring degrees in agriculture in many of the states of the Union, while the department of agriculture of the United States government is doing an immense amount of work for the farmer's welfare. Harrison county, Iowa, contains many excellent farms and hundreds of skilled farmers. One of the enterprising young agriculturists of Magnolia township is Fred Ehlert, who has lived his entire life in this township.

Fred Ehlert Jr., the son of Fred and Caroline (BANDLOW) EHLERT, was born on February 17, 1879 in Harrison County, Iowa. His parents reared a family of seven children, all of whom are still living, namely: Frank, Mrs. Augusta Schnuchel, Mrs. Bertha Podendorf, Mrs. Amelia Bracken, Mrs. Anna Maaske, Fred Jr., and Mrs. Nellie Holben. All of these children are still living in Harrison county, with the exception of Amelia, who lives in Montana.

Fred Ehlert Sr., was born on March 21, 1839 in Germany and farmed in his native land until he came to America in 1863. He located in Buffalo, New York, and within a short time enlisted for service in the Union Army in Company C, 116th Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry. He served with distinction until the close of the war and rendered is adopted country faithful service, although he had been in this country such a short time that he was hardly able to understand the commands which were given him by his officers. In 1866, he went to Cleveland, Ohio, to see his sister, Fredericka, and while visiting her, he decided to locate in Cleveland where he found a position as a blacksmith helper in the railroad shops of that city. He remained there five years, during which time he married. In 1871 he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and rented a farm with his cousin, Fred Bandlow. A year later, he bought 80 acres of land, only 20 acres of which had been broken by the plow. He built a small shack for a house and had a rude dugout for a barn, using straw for a roof. He paid ten dollars an acre for his land and, as he prospered from year to year, he improved his farm, built a good home, convenient and commodious barns, and when he retired in 1902, had a well-improved and highly productive farm. He was married in 1867 to Caroline Bandlow, who was born in Germany in 1843 and died in this county in 1912.

Fred Ehlert Jr., has always lived on the farm. After receiving a good education in the common schools of his township, he remained at home until he was 23 years of age. He then married and rented a farm of 60 acres, but was not satisfied to remain a renter and bought 120 acres of his present farm, on which he has made many improvements. He gives particular attention to the raising of stock and now feeds about 100 head of cattle each year on his farm. He has met with unusual success in the cattle industry and derives a handsome income from the sale of his stock.

Mr. Ehlert was married in 1903 to Lillie CHRISTIANS, who was born in Harrison county in 1883, and died in 1906, leaving no children. Later, Mr. Ehlert married Jennie A. BEEBEE, who was born at Beebeetown in this county February 11, 1884. She is a daughter of Fred and Lois (Hudson) Beebee, early settlers of Harrison county, Iowa, and now living at Beebeetown. To this union have been born three children: Frederick, Leslie and Hudson.

The Democratic party receives the support of Mr. Ehlert, but although he takes an intelligent interest in the current issues of the day, he has never aspired to political leadership. He is an earnest member of the German Lutheran Church and his wife is a member of the Methodist Church, to both of which societies they are generous contributors. Mr. Ehlert is a man who can always be depended upon to give his support to all public-spirited measures, and thus he merits the hearty esteem in which he is held by his neighbors.

Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 843, 844.
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


Return to Harrison County Home Page
Harrison County Iowa Genealogy