If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Hadley J. FARLOW -
Few men in Harrison county have achieved a wider or more favorable niche in
public life than Hadley J. Farlow, a real estate dealer at Logan, Iowa. He
has a splendid reputation in Harrison county and does an enormous business in
the buying and selling of rreal estate, not only in Iowa, but in Kansas,
Nebraska, and Canada. Mr. FARLOW was a successful school teacher and served
the people of Harrison county efficiently as a deputy auditor. Since his
retirement from this office, he has been kept before the public, largely
because of the nature of his business.
Hadley J. FARLOW was born on September 18, 1861, in Boone county, Indiana.
He is a son of Henry and Elma (JOHNSON) FARLOW, both natives of Indiana, who
married in that state and who came to Iowa, in 1870, locating near Woodbine
in Boyer township. Henry FARLOW remained in Boyer township until his death
in 1878. His wife, the mother of the subject of this sketch, is still living
and makes her home with Mr. FARLOW and his sister. Henry and Elma (JOHNSON)
FARLOW were the parents of eight children: Oscar D., deceased, accidentally
killed at the age of 23; Hadley J., the subject of this review; Viola, who
died in infancy; Charles A. of Pueblo, Colo.; Lora, wife of John L. SKELTON
of Missouri Valley, Iowa; Alice who died at the age of 20; Ruby, who died at
the age of two; and Ada, who died at age four. Mr. FARLOW was a Democrat in
politics and religiously a member of the Christian church.
Hadley J. FARLOW was educated in the common schools of Harrison county Iowa.
He attended school one year at Woodbine. subsequently, he was in school at
Ames, Iowa, for a short time. He then taught school for four years and was
finally appointed deputy auditor under A.W. MINTON. He served in this
capacity for three years, after which he engaged in the real estate business
at Logan, in which line he is still active. He deals in all kinds of land,
both locally and in the far west. Mr. FARLOW owns, at the present time in
Harrison county, 400 acres of land. He also owns 2,000 acres in Canada; 80
acres in Wayne county; and 80 acres in Pottawattamie County, Iowa.
Hadley J. FARLOW was married on October 18, 1899 to Grace M. TEEL, daughter
of Frank L. and Lavinnia TEEL, both natives of New York state, who came to
Ida county, Iowa, where they were early settlers. To Mr. and Mrs. FARLOW
five children have been born: Ruth, Harry C., Evelyn L., Wayne J. and
William Keith, all of whom are living at home with their parents.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 899-900 Family Researcher: NA
William C. ELLIS.
The Ellis family are of Welsh descent and were among the
early settlers of Harrison county, Iowa. Upon coming to this country the
family first located in Brown county, Ohio, and gradually moved westward
until some of the family located in Harrison county, Iowa, in the early
fifties. William C. Ellis has been a resident of this county since he was
twelve years of age and has been a life-long farmer of Little Sioux township.
William C. ELLIS, the son of Hiram and Eliza (PORTER) ELLIS, was born January
24, 1859, in Putnam County, Illinois. His parents were both natives of Brown
county, Ohio, Hiram Ellis being the son of John and Hannah (MARTIN) ELLIS.
Hannah Martin was a native of Kentucky. The Porters were from Pennsylvania
and Eliza (PORTER) ELLIS, the mother of William C., was a daughter of James
and mary (PETTIJOHN) PORTER. John Ellis died in Ohio in 1849 of the Asiatic
cholera, and in the early fifties his widow, Anna Ellis, took her children
and started west. They went down the Ohio river, up the Mississippi and
Missouri rivers to Council Bluffs, Iowa, then known as Kanesville. Here they
landed and came by team to Harrison county.
Hiram Ellis was married soon after his father's death in 1849, and went to
Illinois to live in 1854. He moved to Iowa in march 1871, and rented land in
Harrison county for the first year. He then bought a farm in Little Sioux
township and at the time of his death, July 23, 1888, owned 175 acres of land
in the township. Ten children wre born to Hiram Ellis and wife, four of whom
died in infancy.
After his father's death, William C. Ellis continued to reside on the old
home farm with his mother for about thirteen years. The paternal estate was
then sold and the proceeds divided among the heirs. At that time, William C.
and his mother bought his present farm of 200 acres, one-fourth of a mile
south of Little Sioux. His mother continued to reside with William C. until
her death July 24, 1914, being past 81 years of age at that time. She was a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as had been her husband, and both
were active workers in the church.
Mr. Ellis has never married. He is a member of the Little Methodist
Episcopal Church and is active in all church and Sunday school work. He has
been superintendent of the Sunday school for the past ten years. In
politics, he has always given his support to the Republican party, but has
never been desirous of holding public office. Mr. Ellis is a man of high
character and sterling qualities, and well merits the high esteem in which he
is held by those who know him.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 519 Family Researcher: NA
Eddie S. ELLIS.
The biographies of successful men are instructive
as guides and an incentive to those whose careers are yet to be achieved.
The examples they furnish, of patient purpose and consecutive endeavor,
strongly illustrate what is in the power of each to accomplish. The
gentleman whose life story is here briefly set forth, is a conspicuous
example of one who has lived to good purpose and achieved a definite degree
of success in the special sphere to which his talents and energies have been
devoted. Eddie S. Ellis, a farmer and stockman of Washington township,
Harrison county, Iowa, was born February 20, 1876, in Mills county, Iowa. He
is the son of Marion and Nancy (DEEM) ELLIS, to whom eleven children were
born. Marion Ellis was born in December 1851 in Davis county, Missouri. He
came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1870 and rented land for a few years. He
owns 320 acres of land in Union township, Harrison county, and is now living
upon his land. Mrs. Marion Ellis, the mother of Eddie S., was born in 1851
in Ohio and moved to Missouri with her parents when a girl of six years.
Eddie S. Ellis was reared on the farm and attended only the country schools
of Union township, Harrison county. He worked at home for his father until
he had reached his majority and then worked for different persons, as a farm
laborer, for about two years. After this, he rented land and began farming
for himself. He rented land and farmed it for two years, at the end of which
time he bought 80 acres in Union township. Mr. Ellis made many improvements
upon this land and farmed it until 1912, when he sold out and bought the farm
which he now owns, consisting of 240 acres of fertile, well improved soil.
When Mr. Ellis bought his present farm, there wre many buildings upon it, but
they were very much run down and very much in need of paint. These buildings
have been remodeled and improved, cement sidewalks have been laid and many
modern conveniences added to the farm. Eddie S. Ellis has succeeded in his
vocation, far beyond the achievement of most men. He is a rather heavy
shareholder in the Hafer Lumber Company at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Mr. Ellis was married in 1900 to Bessie STOCKER, who was born in 1881, in
Washington Township and who is the daughter of Orsan and Elizabeth (OMEN)
STOCKER. To this union, six children have been born: Letha, Lloyd, Floyd,
Bessie, Ray and Eldred.
Mr. Ellis is a Republican, but he has never been especially active in
political affairs and has never held office, with one exception, at which
time he was a school director. The Ellis family attend the Methodist Church.
Mr. Ellis is not a member of any secret order. The family are highly
respected in the community where they reside, and Mr. Ellis deserved to rank
as one of the representative farmers of his township.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 901 Family Researcher: NA
Lester D. GRAYBILL.
It is a well-attested maxim that the greatness of a
community or state lies not in the machinery of government or even in its
institutions, but rather in the sterling qualities of the individual citizen,
in his capacity for high and unselfish efforts and his devotion to the public
welfare. In these particulars, he, whose name apears at the head of this
review, has conferred honor and dignity upon his locality and, as an
elemental part of its history, it is important that there should be recorded
a resume of his career. With the object in view of noting his connection
with the advancement of one of the most flourishing and progressive sections
of the commonwealth as well as his splended personal attainments.
Lester D. GRAYBILL, farmer and stockman, of Washington township, Harrison
County, Iowa, was born on December 20, 1892, in Washington township, on the
farm where he now lives. He is the son of Andrew and Mary (MILLER) Graybill,
the former born on December 29, 1842, in Adams county, Illinois. Andrew
Graybill was the son of Simeon and Amanda (HILL) Graybill, the former born in
1816, in Ohio. He came to Iowa in 1848 and farmed in Pottawattamie county
all his life. He died on June 27, 1889. His wife was born in 1819 in Ohio,
and died in 1848. Simeon Graybill was twice married, his second wife being
Mrs. Frances (GRAHAM) DOWNS. Three children: Rachel, deceased; William; and
Andrew, the father of Lester D., were born to the first union. Aaron, a
fourth child, died during the Civil War. There were six children born to the
second marriage, three of whom are deceased.
Andrew Graybill made his home with his grandparents on his father's side of
the family. They were Michael and Polly (STOCKER) Graybill, natives of
Pennsylvania. Andrew Graybill freighted over the plains in the early days
from Bellevue, Iowa, to Denver, Colorado, using oxen for his trips. In the
spring of 1866, he came to Harrison county, Iowa, where he bought 75 acres of
land. This farm was heavily covered with timber and Mr. Graybill began
fencing it with the old-fashioned rail fence, stakes, and riders, some things
that are not seen at this day and age in harrison County, Iowa. He cut
timber, erected a frame house, which still stands, used for implements, etc.,
a very rare sight in those days. Andrew Graybill made extensive improvements
on all of his farm property and now owns 580 acres of land in Harrison and
Pottawattamie Counties. Forty acres of this land is covered with natural
timber. At one time, he was a heavy cattle feeder and made a specialty of
Polled Durham and Shorthorn breeds. He has since retired from farm life.
Andrew Graybill was married in 1878 to Mary Miller, who was born in 1857, in
Decatur county, Iowa, and who is the daughter of Abraham and Sophronia
(CHAMPLAIN) MILLER, both natives of Pennsylvania and now deceased.
Lester D. Graybill attended the schools of Washington township and the
Yorkshire village schools. He was reared on the farm where he lies and has
always worked for his father. He is now engaged in extensive farming and the
operation of the home place.
Lester D. Graybill is unmarried and is not a member of any lodge. He is,
however, a devoted member of the Church of Latter Day Saints and is an ardent
Democrat. He deserves to rank as one of the rising young farmes of Harrison
county. His friends and neighbors are convinced that sooner or later he will
make a distinguished mark in his chosen profession.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 898 Family Researcher: NA
Chester J. BEEBE.
The people who constitute the bone and sinew of this
country are not those who are unstable and unsettled, who fly from one
occupation to another, who do not know how to vote until they are told, and
who take no active or intelligent interest in the civic affairs of their
community. The backbone of this country is made up of the families who have
made their homes, who are alive to the best interests of the community, who
attend to their own business in preference to the affairs of others, and who
work on steadily from day to day, taking the sunshine with the storm, who
rear a fine family to a comfortable home and an honest life. Such people are
always welcome in any country, and in any community. They are the wealth
producers, and Harrison county is fortunate in being blessed with many of
them, among whom is Chester J. Beebe, a farmer of La Grange township.
Chester J. Beebe was born October 28, 1873, at Modale, Harrison county, Iowa,
the son of Alonzo and Hannah (WORTHINGTON) BEEBE. This family is not related
to the Beebees heretofore mentioned and referred to elsewhere in this volume.
Alonzo Beebe and wife are the parents of five children: Jeanette, who is
deceased; Bert, a farmer of Harrison county; Chester, the immediate subject
of this sketch; Arthur, a farmer of this county; and Mrs. Dollie Caywood who
lives in Canada. Alonzo Beebe was born in 1818 in Massachusetts and worked
in the woolen mills of that state. He assisted in the organization of
several manufacturing plants of woolen cloth, and came to Harrison county,
Iowa, in 1869, where he engaged in farming near Modale, Iowa. He farmed very
successfully until his retirement and death in 1901. Anna (Worthington)
Beebe was born in 1843 in Connecticut and died in 1899.
Chester J. Beebe began life for himself when one year past his majority. He
was reared on the farm and attended the public schools of Modale, Iowa. He
remained at home until his marriage, and then went south to the Mistletoe
Flower State, otherwise known as Oklahoma. Here he homesteaded 152 acres of
land, which he very greatly improved. In 1903, Mr. Beebe returned to
Harrison county, Iowa, and farmed the old home place of his father until
1910. In this year, Mr. Beebe came to La Grange township and rented land for
two years. He then purchased his present farm of 209 acres, 18 acres of
which is in natural timber. Mr. Beebe has a nice cottage home, surrounded by
a beautiful grove of trees, and has made extensive improvements upon his farm.
He has built two corn bins, put up a large silo, and otherwise improved his
Mr. Beebe was married in 1895 to Elsie DAKAN, who was born in this county in
1879, and who is a daughter of Marcus and Nancy (KELLEY) DAKAN, both natives
of Ohio, who came to Iowa in the early days. Mrs. Beebe's father was born in
1846 and taught school after first coming to Iowa, and is now one of the
oldest living school teachers in Harrison county, and, at the present time,
is teaching a district school in Modale. When he first came to Iowa, he
engaged in farming along with teaching. Mrs. Beebe's mother was born in 1838
and died in 1899.
Ten children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Beebe: Marquis, Sadie, Everett,
Dollie, George, Opal, Myles, Grace, Wilbur and Johann.
Mr. Beebe is an influential citizen in the community where he lives. He is
identified with the Republican party, and is now serving on the school board
of his township. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Church, active
in the affairs of this church, and liberal contributors to its support. The
Beebe family is justly entitled to representation in a volume which purports
to set forth the biographical and historical facts relative to Harrison
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 821-22 Family Researcher: NA
Mrs. Ellen J. ORR.
It is a matter of regret that biographical works do not
pay more attention to the work and careers of noble women. They have an
equal or even greater part in the success of their husbands than he himself.
Not so very long ago, the President of the United States, who is a voluminous
historian, was assailed for the scant reference he has paid in his volumes to
women and their works. In these latter days, women are gaining more and more
recognition, whether it is the suffrage movement which is responsible for
according to women the recognition which has long been delayed, or whether it
is the natural working out of the law of eternal justice. Nevertheless, this
added and increasing recognition is a fact that cannot be lost sight of by
the present day historians. One of the noble women of Harrison County, Iowa,
is Mrs. Ellen Orr, the widow of John Orr, who owns and lives in a magnificent
home in La Grange township.
Mrs. Ellen Orr was born June 26, 1849, in Lincolnshire, England, the daughter
of William and Susan (HAND) CROSSLEY. The former was born December 2, 1807,
in England. When about 30 years of age, he came to Ohio and engaged in
farming there. Eight or ten years later, he returned to England and was
there married. In a short time, he brought his family to Iowa where he
bought land near Council Bluffs. Here he built a log house and made many
improvements. The land was first plowed with a team of oxen. He farmed
until his death in 1882. His wife, Susan Hand, was born in 1810 in
Lincolnshire, England, and died in 1862. They were the parents of four
children: Mary, who is deceased; Mrs. Margaret Fletcher of Council Bluffs;
Mrs. Ellen Orr, the subject of this sketch; and William of Council Bluffs.
Mrs. Orr remained at home with her parents until 27 yars old. She attended
the public schools of Council Bluffs and taught one year in the schools of
this city. She was married in 1876 to John A. ORR, who was born in 1850 in
Ohio. He was the son of William and Margaret (ORR) ORR, both natives of
Ireland, who, after their marriage, came to America on their wedding tour.
They prospered in this country and were the parents of twelve children.
John A. ORR, the deceased husband of Mrs. Ellen ORR, was reared on a farm in
La Grange township. He became a very extensive farmer and stockman and was
well known, not only throughout Harrison county, but throughout the state of
Iowa, as a breeder of Duroc-Jersey hogs and Durham cattle. He was one of the
first men to exhibit Duroc-Jersey hogs at the Harrison county fairs. The
farmers were much amazed at this species of hogs and, as a joke, they accused
him of painting them red. This breed, however, has become extremely popular
since Mr. Orr first exhibited them in Harrison county. He was at one time
township clerk and assessor of La Grange township, and at the time of his
death, owned 200 acres of land. Mr. and Mrs. Orr were the parents of three
children: William L., born in 1878, now living with his mother in La Grange
township and managing the home place; Fannie, who died at the age of ten
years; and Bruce, born in 1881 in La Grange, was educated in the district
schools in this township and is a young and energetic farmer. He owns 240
acres of land upon which all modern improvements have been made. He was
married in 1912 to Eva M. POORE, who was born in 1894 in La Grange township,
daughter of James D. and May (MCINTIRE) POORE, natives of Michigan. Both are
living at Harris Grove in La Grange township.
Mrs. Ellen Orr has done a great deal of improving on the farm which she owns.
She has built the finest farm house in Harrison county. It cost ten
thousand dollars and is situated near a splendid grove on the north side,
consisting of five acres. Mrs. Orr and her son own 1,200 acres of land.
The family is independent in politics. Mrs. Ellen Orr is today regarded as
one of Harrison county's best known and noblest women. She is a woman of
agreeable and pleasing personality, keen business judgment and well rounded
ability in many things.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 822-24 Family Researcher: NA
Louis K. WATTERS.
A substantial citizen of Missouri Valley, Iowa, who has
made his home here since 1887 is Louis K. Watters, foreman of the Chicago &
Northwestern tin shops in this city. He is a man who has made his way in
life since a mere youth. As a matter of fact, when he was only eight years
of age, he was working in a woolen factory in Fulton, New York, making
clothes for the soldiers in the Civil War. When sixteen years of age, he
began to learn the tinner's trade and has made this his chosen life work.
His ability along this line was such that when he was twenty-one yars of age,
he received an appointment from a railroad company in Michigan and worked
with them until he came to Iowa. Here his work was soon recognized, and he
was made foreman of the shops, a position which he has held for many years.
Louis K. Watters, the son of James and Maria (CONVERSE) WATTERS, was born in
Fulton, Oswego county, NY, January 31, 1854. His father was born at
Brooklyn, New York, and his mother in Albany, of the same state. His father
was a shoemaker and also operated a store. In 1866 the family moved to
Flint, Michigan, where James Watters lived until his death a few years ago.
His wife died there about 28 years ago. Ten children were born to James
Watters and wife, seven of whom are living.
Louis K. Watters was 12 years of age when his parents removed to Flint,
Michigan, and he had little opportunity for schooling, and as has been
stated, began to work when he was only eight years of age. After removing to
Flint with his parents, he went to work in a lath mill, and on December 5,
1870, began to learn the tinner's trade. He worked at Flint, Michigan,
learning the trade until 1875. In that year, he began to work at Muskegon,
Michigan, for the Chicago & West Michigan Railroad, remaining with that
company until January 31, 1887. He then moved to Missouri Valley, Iowa, and
began to work in the Chicago & Northwestern shops. Soon after locating here,
he was made foreman of the tin shops, and he has retained this position ever
Mr. Watters was married on September 5, 1874, to Eliza BURGESS, who was born
in Bennington, Michigan. The two children born to this union are both
deceased, Harriett and William.
Mr. Watters is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the
Tribe of Ben-Hur. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal
church. He has always given his hearty support to the Republican party, but
has never taken an active part in political matters. Mr. and Mrs. Watters
have a handsome home in the city, and they are highly esteemed by everyone
with whom they are acquainted.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. ?? Family Researcher: NA
James G. CAVE - What a wonderful training school the farm is. Even a cursory review of the biographies of the men who have exerted the widest and most beneficent influence upon the destinies of this nation convinces the student of such forms of research that a great majority of these men have secured their basic training in youthful days spent close to the soil, taking from beneficent nature, right at her fountain sources, the lessons most useful in the creation of a character fitted for the best constructive work in the business of the world.
This fact has been demonstrated so uniformly as to be accepted without cavil and it almost has come to be regarded as a truism that the "boys from the farm" are the men who later are called on to exercise the controlling and decisive voice in the conduct of affairs in the cities and towns of the nation. There are several notable examples of this sort to be found in Harrison county, not the least conspicuous of which is found in the career of the gentleman whose name forms the caption of this interesting biographical sketch.
James G. CAVE, who occupies the important and responsible position of cashier of the Persia Savings Bank of Persia, Harrison county, Iowa, was born on a farm in Union township, this county, January 6, 1874, the son of James C. and Jane (CLARK) CAVE, being the second in order of birth of the five children born to this union. Mr. CAVE's father was a native of England, where he was born in the year 1847. Believing better opportunities offered themselves to the energy and initiative of mankind in America, the senior CAVE left England in 1870 and came to this country, locating in Harrison county, Iowa. He engaged in farming in both Union and Washington townships and remained on the farm the remainder of his life, his death occurring in April, 1914. His widow, who also was born in England, is now living in Persia, Iowa.
To James C. and Jane (CLARK) CAVE five children were born, in order of birth as follows: Infant (deceased); James G., of whom this biographical sketch treats in further detail below; Beatrice, wife of W. A. SMITH, who resides in Yoder, Colorado; Augustus F., a prosperous and progressive farmer of Washington township, Harrison county, Iowa; Victoria, wife of Peter LARSON, who resides at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
James G. CAVE was reared on the paternal acres in Washington township, Harrison county, and received in his early youth such education as the district schools of the township afforded. The course of instruction here followed, he later supplemented with a course in the Woodbine Normal School, following which he took a course at Highland Park School, preparatory to entering the ranks of the public school teaching force. Thus equipped, Mr. CAVE, in 1894, began teaching, his first work in this line being performed in the district schools of Boyer township. For nine years he continued as a teacher, his important duties in that direction being ever performed with thoroughness and attention to the basic educational needs of the youth who thus came under his charge. In this relation Mr. CAVE established many friendships with his pupils in this county, who, in earnest recognition of the service rendered by him in the school room, maintain toward him a feeling of enduring regard and sincere esteem.
Upon leaving the schoolmaster's desk, Mr. CAVE entered the bank of Persia and in 1904 was made assistant cashier of that institution. In 1910 the Persia Savings Bank was organized and Mr. CAVE was made cashier, he being the director and one of the chief stockholders. In addition to his activities in the bank, Mr. CAVE gives much attention to his large farming interests. He owns a highly-cultivated farm of five hundred acres in Washington and Union townships, besides an attractive modern home in Persia.
In 1912 Mr. CAVE was united in marriage with Grace PATTERSON, who was born in 1889, daughter of A. C. PATTERSON, a well-known and prosperous retired farmer of Harrison county, who now resides in Magnolia. One child, a daughter, Grace Verdene, has come to bless this union and Mr. and Mrs. CAVE are supremely happy in the delightful home they have established in Persia. In the social activities of the town they take their proper part and no couple in this part of the state is any more popular, and deservedly so, than they. In the business affairs of Persia, Mr. CAVE ever is found taking his proper part in promoting the best interests of the community and he is very properly recognized as one of the most forceful and aggressive units in the upbuilding of this section of Iowa. He is a member of the Masonic order, his affiliation being with the lodge of Persia, in whose affairs he takes an active interest. Though deeply interested in civic affairs, Mr. CAVE, politically, is not a partisan of the extreme type, believing that the voter of an independent mind often is able to wield a larger and more beneficent influence upon the public weal, in which belief he is yearly being supported more and more by many of the most thoughtful elements of the life of the nation.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 491, 492, 493. Family Researcher: NA
E. J. COLE, M.D. - The attention of the reader is now directed to a short sketch of the career of Dr. E. J. Cole, a native of Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, and for many years one of the leading physicians of this section. He is a man of fine professional and intellectual attainments, of broad sympathies and kindly feelings, who has labored earnestly and sincerely to alleviate the sufferings of mankind. He has lent dignity and honor to his chosen profession and is filling a useful and important part in the world's plan.
Doctor COLE is a son of Dr. John S. and Diana (WORLEY) COLE and was born in Woodbine, Iowa, on January 24, 1865. Dr. John S. COLE (a sketch of whose career will be found elsewhere in this volume), had the distinction of being the first physician to locate at Woodbine and throughout the years of his residence there he became much honored and his death, which occurred in 1881, was deplored by a large circle of warm-hearted friends. The subject of this biography attended the common schools of Woodbine when a youth, later completing the high school work in his home town. He then entered Iowa State College at Ames, where he devoted three years to the study of literature and then matriculated at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, there to receive instruction in his chosen profession, having elected to follow in the footsteps of his honored father. In 1889 he was graduated from that institution and the same year commenced to practice in Woodbine, where he has since remained.
Doctor COLE was united in marriage on June 18, 1891, with Maude E. ALLEN, daughter of Frank and Anna (TORGESON) ALLEN, who came to this section of Iowa from Wisconsin. Mrs. COLE's father died in Wisconsin and after his death, the mother came with her family to Harrison county and for some time made her home with Doctor COLE and family and there her death occurred in April, 1913.
Doctor and Mrs. COLE have an interesting family of four children, the eldest of whom, Clement A., is at present studying in Iowa State University at Iowa City, while the others, Bernice, Anita and Helen, are still at home. Through close and conscientious application to his profession and careful attention to modern progress therein, Doctor COLE has attained to a pleasing degree of honor and prominence in his chosen means of service to mankind. He is a member of the Harrison County Medical Association, the Iowa State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. He has always evinced a warm interest in local affairs, particularly along the lines of education, and for a number of years has been a member of the school board. His fraternal affiliation is with the Knights of Pythias through the local organization and in politics he is a Democrat, although he has never devoted much time to political affairs.
A high order of skill in his calling, a broad-minded sympathy with the sick and suffering, and an earnest desire to help others have combined to make him unusually successful and he is held in the highest esteem by his brother physicians because of his genuine worth. He is a welcome visitor in any company which he choses to enter, for he possesses those attributes which enable him to be agreeable and win the good will of others.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 491, 492, 493. Family Researcher: NA