If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Albert D. GILMORE - A large number of the states of the Union have contributed some of their most enterprising citizens to the population of Harrison county, Iowa, and among these may be mentioned Albert. D. GILMORE, a prosperous merchant of Mondamin. Born in the Hoosier state, Mr. GILMORE removed with his parents to Nebraska when a small child and lived in that state until 1910. In that year he came to Harrison county, locating at Mondamin, and has since been engaged in business in that place. While living in Nebraska he was active in civic affairs and held various official positions, his public service being performed in a manner satisfactory to his constituents. Since coming to Harrison county he has continued his interest in civic life and is regarded as one of the most public-spirited citizens of Mondamin.
Albert D. GILMORE, the son of Andrew H. and Sarah J. (ALLEN) GILMORE, was born July 26, 1863, in Greencastle, Indiana. His parents were natives of Ohio and Indiana, respectively, and lived in Indiana until 1868, in which year they moved to Brownville, Nebraska. In that city Andrew H. GILMORE was for many years a partner in a grocery and general merchandise store. He also was treasurer of Nemaha county, Nebraska, for eight years.
Albert D. GILMORE is the eldest of five children born to his parents. He was five years of age when his parents left Indiana to locate in Nebraska, and consequently received all of his education in the latter state. After he was graduated from the Brownville, Nebraska, high school, he took a business course at Musselman Business College at Quincy, Illinois. About that time the family moved to Auburn, Nebraska, and Albert D. went into business with his father, remaining with him for three years, at the end of which time he became deputy treasurer of Nemaha county, remaining in that office for four years. He then became interested in the abstract and real estate business, but two years after engaging in this latter line of activity, was appointed steward of the Nebraska hospital for the insane at Lincoln. He remained with that institution for two years, after which he again engaged in the abstract business, shortly afterward being elected clerk of the district courts of Nemaha county. While holding the office of clerk he still maintained his abstract business. After serving in the clerk's office for four years he again was appointed steward of the state hospital for the insane at Lincoln and remained in that position for six years.
In 1910, Mr. GILMORE came to Mondamin, Harrison county, Iowa, and with his brothers bought out the store of C. L. BEEBE, who had operated a general merchandise store in Mondamin for several years. In addition to his general merchandise business; Mr. GILMORE is extensively engaged in the buying and shipping of fruit. This section of Iowa raises a large amount of small fruit, the soil of Harrison county being particularly adapted to fruit raising. In 1912, Mr. GILMORE shipped twenty carloads of apples alone from Mondamin. In 1914 he shipped fourteen hundred crates of raspberries and many crates of grapes and other fruit, his annual shipments of fruit averaging at least fifteen carloads.
On June 19, 1889, Albert D. GILMORE was united in marriage with Elizabeth C. CURTIS, who was born in Troy, Ohio, a daughter of John and Nancy (CULBERTSON) CURTIS, and to this union has been born one son, Raymond M., who is a young man of much promise. He was graduated from the Mondamin high school and is now taking a preparatory course in Bellevue College, at Bellevue, Nebraska. He intends to enter the law department of the University of Wisconsin, his uncle, E. A. GILMORE, an alumnus of the Harvard law school, being a member of the faculty of that institution. During the summer vacations Raymond works for his father in Mondamin.
Mr. GILMORE is active in the councils of the Republican party, and although he has been in Mondamin but a comparatively short time, already has become actively identified with its political life. He is president of the school board, which has control of the consolidated schools of the township, and has held this position for the past two years. He also is a member of the Mondamin city council. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and has attained to the chapter degree. He also holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World. The family are loyal members of the Presbyterian church, to whose welfare they are generous contributors.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 711, 712 Family Researcher: NA
Fred HALL -
It has been said that success always comes to the deserving, and this old proverb is peculiarly applicable to Fred HALL, a substantial farmer and horse breeder of Jackson township, Harrison county, Iowa. Born and reared in England, he came to this country before he reached his majority and for many years struggled with adverse conditions. He persevered, however, and with that measure of grit and determination which always wins out in the end he finally found himself on the high road to prosperity and pecuniary independence. His career can only be briefly noted in this biographical sketch, but sufficient is here shown to indicate the sterling character of the man, and it is needless to state that he is held in high esteem by those who know him, for he is a man who is deserving in every way of the respect accorded him by his fellow citizens.
Fred HALL, the son of George and Eliza (WALKER) HALL, was born in Staffordshire, near Newborough, England, November 7, 1864. His father was a huntsman and followed the hounds as a whipper-in on the big chases in England. For more than forty years he was connected with the stables of the MEYNEL-INGRAM family, prominent among the landed families of Staffordshire.
Fred HALL received his elementary education and lived at home until he was nineteen years of age. He started in as a lad of eleven to serve as a page in the manor house and later became a footman. In 1883 he and his brother and another man decided to come to America to seek their fortune. His brother remained in this country only two months and the other man who came with them returned at the end of six months, Fred being the only one of the three who had enough grit to stick it out.
When Fred HALL arrived in New York city he had only two dollars and a half. It was necessary, therefore, for him to find something to do at once. He bought his ticket to Erie, Pennsylvania, and arrived there during the Blaine-Logan convention. He secured a job as waiter at the Lake Shore hotel, and in this manner earned his first money in the United States. For two days and a half he handled dishes in a more or less precarious manner and then surrendered this job and became a coal heaver in a coal yard in the city. Being a young man of good physique and willing to work he secured a position as fireman within a month, and for two months worked as a fireman in a large mill in Erie. His next employment found him on a stock farm near Erie, where he worked for eleven months. He was not satisfied, however, and decided to go farther west. He stopped in Cleveland, Ohio, but two weeks later bought a ticket for Kansas City, Kansas. By the time he reached there he was again penniless and he started out on foot through Missouri looking for work. He walked for two weeks before he found a job of any kind and finally reached DeSoto, Kansas. Shortly afterwards he secured a job in the hay fields near Prairie Center, Kansas, where he worked for a time. His next stopping place was Olathe, Kansas, where he went to work for J. C. TAYLOR in a fruit nursery and remained with him for a year. He then worked at several odd jobs, among them being a job in a brick yard. While working in Olathe the house in which he was rooming was destroyed by fire and he escaped in the night with nothing but the shirt on his back. All of his meager possessions were lost, but still he was not discouraged.
His first good position was secured shortly after this unfortunate fire. He began to work for a widow three miles from Olathe and had been with her about a year and a half when she decided to move to Mills county, Iowa. He went with the family and worked for them another year in Mills county. During this time he met the girl whom he presently was to make his wife. He rented a farm and lived alone for one year in order to convince himself that he was able to make a living for a wife. Satisfied that he could provide a comfortable home for her, he married and for the next six years rented a farm in Mills county and was uniformly successful.
In 1895 Mr. HALL first came to Harrison county, Iowa. He located eight miles southeast of Woodbine, where he had bought a farm, but because of bad times and adverse conditions he was not able to pay for it. He struggled along for three years and was then forced to relinquish his title to the land. He then rented it for two years and in the fall of 1899 bought ninety-five acres of land in Jackson township, the farm being known as the "Old Billy MCWILLIAMS Homestead." Here he has lived and prospered since that time, and he can now look back over his many discouraging years and feel that he has not labored in vain. In 1914 he built a large, modern, eight-room house. He has a furnace, gas lights and every modern convenience the housewife could desire. The barns and outbuildings are all of good quality and everything about the place indicates that he is a man of taste. While engaging in general farming he has made a specialty of full-blooded registered Percheron horses and Poland-China hogs, and has had unusual success in all of his stock raising. He is a member of the Percheron Society of America, and now has some of the finest breed of these horses to be found in the county.
Mr. HALL was married to Anna DEERWESTER, a daughter of Thomas DEERWESTER. She was born in Burlington, Iowa, and owing to the death of her mother when she was nine years of age, she was reared by an aunt and uncle, with whom she lived until she was married. Mr. HALL and his wife have four children, Edith, Frank, Grace and Mabel. Edith is the wife of Herman FIELD, and lives near Tekamah, Nebraska. The other three children are still living with their parents.
Mr. HALL and his family are loyal members of the Soldier Valley Methodist Episcopal church. He is a Republican, but has never had any desire to be a candidate for public office. On August 12, 1912, Mr. HALL left Harrison county for a trip to his old home in England. He spent several months there with his brothers and sisters and old friends and had a most enjoyable trip. He and his family are highly esteemed in the community where they have lived for the past twenty years, and it is safe to say that no one in this community is held in higher esteem.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 737, 738, 739 Family Researcher: NA
Malen H. HAMMER - For more than half a century Malen H. HAMMER has been identified with the history of Harrison county, Iowa. He was not yet a year old when his parents came to this county and he ever since has made it his home. Starting after his marriage as a farmer, he followed agricultural pursuits a few years and then moved to Modale, where he ever since has been engaged in the livery business. In connection with this business he has an extensive veterinary practice throughout that section of the county. He has been successful and now owns a farm adjoining the town of Modale, as well as several valuable dwellings and business houses in the town. He has been prominent in the civic life of his community and has held various official positions which have demonstrated his ability in a manner satisfactory to his constituents.
Malen H. HAMMER, the son of Jacob and Cynthia (BRIDGES) HAMMER, was born February 19, 1864, in Harrison county, Missouri. His parents, who were both natives of Missouri, of German extraction, were farmers and the parents of ten children.
When Malen H. HAMMER was about six months old the family moved to Iowa, and located in Pottawattamie county, and a few months later moved to Harrison county, Iowa, where they located a mile and a half west of Modale. Mr. HAMMER spent his boyhood days on the farm and attended the Modale schools. He remained at home until he reached the age of twenty-three, at which time he married and began renting land near his father's farm. He rented for five years and then moved to Modale and established himself as a veterinary surgeon and proprietor of a livery stable. He was one of the first horse breeders of the county and his first stallion was a full-blooded Morgan horse. He has handled high-class horses of various kinds ever since and now has the only livery barn in Modale, and has in connection with it the hearse which is used by a local undertaking establishment. In connection with his horse livery he runs two automobiles and along this line has built up a very lucrative business. Mr. HAMMER owns a well-improved farm adjoining Modale on the west, and also owns several town properties, among them being his own residence, two other residence properties, the post office building and his livery stable. He also owned the first telephone system in Modale, it being a single wire running from his livery stable to the hotel, which he also owned at that time. Eventually other establishments became connected with his line until it became necessary to establish an exchange. Thus Mr. HAMMER is justly entitled to the honor of having established the first telephone exchange in Modale.
Mr. HAMMER was married May 27, 1886, to Callie REGINS, who was born in Cincinnati township, this county, two miles south of Modale, a daughter of Joseph and Mary (PARCEL) REGINS. Her parents were natives of Illinois and early settlers in Harrison county. Mr. and Mrs. HAMMER have three children who are still living at home, Delbert, Glen and Beulah.
The family are all members of the Christian church of Modale. Mr. HAMMER is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and gives his hearty support to the Democratic party. He has served on the council of Modale and also on the school board, and in both capacities rendered faithful service to the citizens of the town. He is a man of genial disposition and has a large circle of friends and acquaintances throughout this section of the county.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 714, 715 Family Researcher: NA
Livy M. HUNT -
The successful farmer has the pleasure of knowing that his efforts benefit not only himself, but his family and everyone who has been connected with the buying or selling of his product, because agriculture is so linked with the other branches of commerce that that which benefits the producer will benefit others of whom the farmer never dreamed, and to the man who lives on the land, produces good crops and rears a happy, healthy family comes a happiness and content which is hardly possible to anyone who is not similarly situated.
Livy M. Hunt, the son of Jason and Mary A. (KING) HUNT, was born in Jefferson township, Harrison county, Iowa, near Jeddo, on April 25, 1852. He is one of a family of six children, of whom he was the second in order of birth. Jason HUNT and his wife were natives of New York state, coming from Saratoga county, where Jason Z. HUNT was a farmer and surveyor, which dual occupation he followed after coming to Harrison county, and it will be understood that there was plenty of work for the surveyor when we remember that Mr. HUNT was one of the early settlers in this county. Coming from New York state to Iowa, the HUNT family came by rail to the Ohio river, then down that river to the Mississippi, and up that stream to the Missouri river. They then traveled up the Missouri to St. Joseph, Missouri, whence they drove the remainder of the distance in wagons, arriving in Harrison county in November, 1851. Not long after their arrival in Harrison county, Livy M. HUNT was born, being among the first children to be born in Harrison county. The nearest market at that time was Kanesville, now Council Bluffs, and Jason HUNT at one time walked all the way to Kanesville to buy an ax, and his son, Livy, occasionally drove hogs to the Kanesville market.
It will be readily understood that opportunities for receiving an education in that frontier country were very limited, consequently Livy M. HUNT received but meager schooling, attending school only a few months in each year. However, since that time Mr. HUNT has educated himself by reading and observation. He made his home with his parents until his marriage, before which event Mr. HUNT's father presented him with one hundred and twenty acres of land in the northwest corner of section 36, of Douglas township, in this county, and after his marriage Mr. HUNT moved to this land, and not long afterwards, bought sixty acres just south of the original one hundred and twenty acres, and thus owned and tilled one hundred and eighty acres. This land was originally bought of speculators at a nominal price, and in 1902 it was sold for seventy-six dollars an acre. Mr. HUNT had applied himself to the feeding of cattle and hogs, and thus established one of the best-improved farms in Douglas township. He had erected a large ten-room house on the farm, a good and commodious barn, water-works for stock, together with all modern improvements for scientific agriculture. After selling this farm Mr. HUNT purchased two hundred and eighty-five acres of land in sections 17 and 20 of Harrison township, paying seventy dollars the acre, and on this land he now resides. With his characteristic industry Mr. HUNT has improved this farm, erecting two new houses, barns, hog houses, granaries, and other buildings necessary for a large and well-improved farm.
Mr. HUNT has been twice married, his first wife having been Alice BILLETER, whose death occurred two years after marriage. On November 4, 1881, Mr. HUNT married, secondly, Ida DAVIE, who was born on March 14, 1862, in Harrison township, one mile east of Dunlap in this county, a daughter of John and Hannah (HERRINGTON) ROGERS DAVIE, her mother having been twice married. The DAVIEs were natives of Saratoga county, New York, but had lived in Michigan before coming west to Iowa. To Mr. HUNT's second marriage six children were born, five of whom lived to maturity, Nettie Alice, Jason T., Harley, Frank, Vera, Emily Estella. Of these children Nettie Alice, who was born November 5, 1885, is still living at home, and is a great sufferer from rheumatism, with which she has been afflicted for more than thirteen years. Jason T., who was born August 1, 1887, married Inez POWLEY, and resides on the home farm. Harley, born December 29, 1889, also farms a portion of the home farm. He took a three-year course at the Iowa State University in the liberal arts department. Frank L., who was born May 31, 1896, was graduated from the Woodbine Normal School, as were the other children. Vera, who was born April 4, 1898, died August 28, 1899. Emily Estella, the youngest of the family, was born September 17, 1900.
Mr. HUNT's son, Jason, is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Order of Daughters of Rebekah. Harley is a member of the Masonic Order, of the Knights of Pythians, the Pythian Sisters, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Daughters of Rebekah, the encampment and the Modern Woodmen of the World. At the present time Harley is specializing in the raising of full-blooded registered Poland China hogs. Harley also has been active in a great many ways in the affairs of Harrison county. In 1914 he published an atlas of the county. Previously he had published a similar atlas of Monona county, Iowa, and was also the founder of the Harrison County Democrat, a newspaper which has met with success.
Livy M. HUNT is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, while his wife belongs to the Order of the Eastern Star and the Royal Neighbors. Mr. HUNT is a Republican, and while in Douglas township he served as township trustee, and has held other minor offices in the communities where he has resided. Mr. HUNT and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Dunlap, in which denomination they all take an active interest.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 740, 741, 742 Family Researcher: NA
Thomas F. JEFFERSON - The life history of Thomas F. JEFFERSON, one of the well known and highly esteemed older citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, now living in Woodbine in honorable retirement, shows what industry, good habits and stanch citizenship will accomplish for success in the battle of life. For over a quarter of a century he has been a valued factor in the development of the agricultural business of this county, being prominently identified with its various phases. His well-directed energies in the practical affairs of life, his capable management of his own business interests and his sound judgment have demonstrated what may be accomplished by the man of energy and ambition, who persevering, often in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles, proves that he is the possessor of those innate qualities that never fail to bring success if properly directed, as they have evidently been in the case of Mr. JEFFERSON. He has not only won material success in life, but has so directed his manner of living that he is granted honor and respect by those who know him.
Mr. JEFFERSON is a native of Harrison county, having first seen the light of day on his father's farm in Boyer township on August 13, 1859. He is a son of Luke and Mary A. (FARNSWORTH) JEFFERSON, the latter of whom was a native of Marion county, Ohio. Luke JEFFERSON was born in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, and was brought to this country by his parents when a lad of seven years. He was the son of William and Phoebe JEFFERSON, who, upon reaching this country, first settled in Troy, New York, later going to farming lands in the western portion of that state. There they remained for a comparatively short time, when the father decided to investigate the still greater opportunities seemingly offered in the midwestern section of the country. While working their way toward their goal, they lived for a time in Marion county, Ohio, where William, grandfather of Thomas F., died. The wife and family finally reached Harrison county, where the mother soon died. Luke JEFFERSON had very little opportunity for schooling when young and married in Illinois, making the journey to this county by the overland route in company with several other families. He arrived here in 1852, and immediately secured a tract of wild land, which he courageously set about converting into the well-ordered farm which was his ideal. He passed the remainder of his life in Boyer township, adding to his original holdings from time to time, until he was at one time the owner of one thousand acres. He was highly successful for that day, being considered one of the most successful stock raisers and feeders of his section. He was a man of excellent character, practical in his plans and energetic in carrying them out. He was a Republican in politics and while not an aspirant to office, was a man who took considerable interest in political affairs, anxious to see the proper men in positions of trust. His death occurred in January of 1904, he then being in his seventy-sixth year. His wife had preceded him into the Great Beyond a number of years, her death occurring on December 31, 1882, when she was forty-nine years of age. They were the parents of a family of six children, namely: John W., who is a farmer in Boyer township, this county; Olive L. (deceased), who was the wife of E. C. CARRIIER, also of Boyer township; Phoebe L., who married B. S. CARRIER, both now being dead. The fourth child in order of birth is Thomas F., the immediate subject of this sketch, and then follows Mary E., who is Mrs. Howard MURPHY, and resides in Michigan, and the youngest of the family is Samuel L., who resides in Woodbine, this county.
Thomas F. JEFFERSON received such education as the schools of the country districts of the state at that time afforded, and remained under the parental roof until twenty-five years of age. In 1885 he decided to go to southern California, where he remained for three years, at the end of which time he returned to his native state and county, where he engaged in farming.
On March 22, 1894, Thomas F. JEFFERSON was united in marriage with Minnie L. HUNTER, who was born and reared in Boyer township, this county, a daughter of William and Carrie HUNTER, farmers. Mr. and Mrs. JEFFRESON have been blessed with a family of six children, namely: Gladys V., Frank M., Cecil H., Clifford J., Evadna M. and Donald S. Immediately after marriage Mr. JEFFERSON and his bride took up their residence on the old JEFFERSON homestead in Boyer township, and there remained until 1907, when they retired from active labor and removed to Woodbine, which has since been their home. Mr. JEFFERSON has for many years been widely known as a stock breeder and shipper of the highest order, and still owns six hundred and twenty acres of valuable lands in Boyer and Douglas townships, besides real estate in Woodbine.
Although a strong supporter of the Republican party, Mr. JEFFERSON never desired the honor of public office. His religious membership is with the Presbyterian church, to the support of which congregation he gives liberally. His fraternal affiliation is held in the Ancient Order of Free and Accepted Masons, through the local organization at Woodbine. Mr. JEFFERSON is one of those sterling men who are the bone and sinew of any community, and the nation as well. Possessed of broad mind and exalted and practical ideals, he belongs to the class which assume the leadership in all affairs of life. Of generous impulses and kindly sympathies, he is genial and friendly and is not only widely and well known throughout the whole of this county, but also has a large circle of warmly admiring friends. It is, therefore, peculiarly proper that a sketch of the career of such an influential man should be embodied in a volume of the character of the one in hand.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 742, 743, 744 Family Researcher: NA
Albert M. JONES - A pioneer farmer of Harrison county, Iowa, is Albert M. JONES, who has been a resident of the county for more than forty years. He was born and reared in Illinois, but located in Harrison county, Iowa, before his marriage. He has engaged extensively in stock raising and has the distinction of being the first man to bring a Poland-China hog to this county. He has been very successful as a breeder of Poland-China hogs and full-blooded Shorthorn cattle. During his long career in this county he has been prominently identified with its civic life and has served for many years in an official capacity in this township. He is well and favorably known and is held in high esteem by those with whom he has been associated.
Albert M. JONES, the son of William S. and Eliza (MCCURDY) JONES, was born November 5, 1846, in Hancock county, Illinois. His father was a native of Wales and came to the United States when fourteen years of age with his parents, who settled in Ohio.
William F. JONES was married in Ohio and in 1846 moved to Illinois where he lived for twenty years. In 1866 he located in Harrison county, Iowa, but died about a year after settling in the county. Seven children were born to William F. JONES and wife, six boys and one girl.
Albert M. JONES was the fourth child born to his parents and the youngest one now living. All of his older brothers and sisters are still living. Mr. JONES remained at home until he was twenty years of age and then began working out by the month. He handled stock for farmers in his native state and in this way became an expert stockman. He remained in Illinois after his parents moved to Harrison county and did not come to this county until after their death. He then located in Harrison county, where he received his share of the seven hundred and eighty-nine acres which has father had bought. He has since farmed about one mile south of Pisgah, in Jackson township. When he came to this county there were only three houses between Pisgah and Magnolia, and Council Bluffs was the nearest railroad station. For the first few years they raised some corn and wheat, but devoted most of their time and attention to stock raising. As has been stated, Mr. JONES has been extensively engaged in the breeding of high-class cattle and hogs, and was formerly an exhibitor at county fairs. He exhibited the Poland-China hogs which he bought in Fulton county, Illinois, and shipped to Harrison county, at a number of fairs and won a great many prizes with them.
Mr. JONES was married February 5, 1873, to Anna POLEN, who was born December 9, 1852, in Harrison county, Ohio, a daughter of William and Elizabeth (CRUMRINE) POLEN. Her parents moved to Buchanan county, Iowa, in 1853, and about 1870 they moved to Harrison county, where they bought a farm. The mother of Mrs. JONES died when she was a small girl and her father later remarried.
Mr. and Mrs. JONES have three children, two sons and a daughter, Wallace, Byron B. and Jetta M. Wallace lives in Pisgah, and is in the real estate business. He married Minnie PECK, and has three children living, Ray, Alice and Mary. Byron B., who lives in Pisgah, married Cassie DICKEY, and has five children, Tessie, Albert, Hugh, Ruth and Lawrence. Jetta M. married Mathew COUGHLIN, and lives on a farm two miles south of the old Milton SILSBY farm.
Mr. JONES is a Republican and has been one of his party's leaders in political affairs for many years. He has served as trustee of Jackson township for ten years, during which time he has rendered to his fellow citizens faithful and efficient service. Mr. JONES is one of the oldest farmers of his township, and has so lived during his long career here as to merit the high esteem in which he is universally held.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 727, 728 Family Researcher: NA
Samuel F. DE VORE, M.D. - One of the many excellent physicians of Missouri Valley, Iowa, is Samuel F. DE VORE, who has engaged continuously in the practice of medicine in that city since 1899. In his younger days Doctor DE VORE was a public school teacher and subsequently enjoyed a successful career on the lecture platform. For the past twenty years, however, he has been engaged in the active practice of medicine, and since removing to Missouri Valley, has enjoyed pronounced success as a specialist in the treatment of cancer. In past times this terrible scourge has appeared to be the most hopeless disease to which human flesh is heir-hopeless because very few scientists have been able to discover the real cause or any effective cure or treatment for this disease. After years of study and persistent scientific investigation, Doctor DE VORE has evolved a cure which has proved very successful and which has made him famous throughout the northwest. He enjoys a wonderful patronage because he has consecrated his life toward relieving one of the most dreaded diseases with which mankind may be afflicted. Doctor DE VORE has had twenty years' experience aside from his splendid professional training as a specialist and today enjoys a reputation which extends throughout the middle and western states.
Dr. Samuel F. DE VORE is a son of Espy and Emma J. (LEONARD) DE VORE, and was born at Pearl City, Illinois, March 10, 1867. Espy DE VORE was a native of Pennsylvania, and his wife, who was Emma J. LEONARD before her marriage, was a native of Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Espy DE VORE have been farmers all their lives, and now live retired in Cherokee county, Iowa, having removed from Illinois to Iowa about 1875. They are the parents of five children: Newton I., of Minneapolis, Minnesota; Robert L., of Joplin, Missouri; Mrs. Katie May MCDEID, of Aurelia, Iowa; Dr. Samuel F. DE VORE the well-known physician and specialist of Missouri Valley, Iowa, with whom this narrative deals.
The elementary education of Doctor DE VORE was received in the public schools of Cherokee county, Iowa. After finishing the course in the county schools of that county, he qualified for a teacher, and for two years taught in the schools of Cherokee county. For a number of years following his career as a teacher he traveled over the length and breadth of the United States as a lecturer, meeting and addressing all classes and conditions of men. From his boyhood days Doctor DE VORE had been possessed of a strong inclination to study medicine, and finally gave up the lecture field for this profession. He became a student in the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College and was graduated from that institution in 1895. Subsequently he took a post-graduate course in the best universities and hospitals of London, England, and finally in New York city in 1903.
Immediately after he was graduated Doctor DE VORE began the practice of his profession in Sioux City, Iowa, and remained there from 1895 until 1898. One year later he removed to Missouri Valley, where he has since practiced his profession. Doctor DE VORE not only enjoys a large general practice, but early in his professional career, he specialized in the treatment of cancer. He operates a hospital in connection with his practice in the treatment of cancer and now receives patients from all parts of the country.
Dr. Samuel F. DE VORE was married May 6, 1914, to Mrs. Mary H. HUNGERFORD, of Columbus, Nebraska. He is the owner of a farm of two hundred acres in Calhoun township, Harrison county, and gives to the management of this farm a considerable share of his personal attention. On April 18, 1915, Doctor and Mrs. DE VORE became the parents of a daughter, Mary Hasler.
Politically, Doctor DE VORE is a Republican. Because of his extensive practice, however, he has never had much opportunity to participate actively in the councils of his party. Fraternally, he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the blue lodge at Missouri Valley, known as Valley Lodge No. 232; Triune Chapter No. 13; Ivanhoe Commandery No. 17, of Council Bluffs, Iowa, and Shrine, Abu-Bekr Temple, at Sioux City, Iowa. Doctor DE VORE also is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Professional success results from merit. Frequently in commercial life one may come into possession of a lucrative business through inheritance or gift, but in what are known as the learned professions, advancement is gained only through painstaking and long continued effort. This is the secret of Doctor DE VORE's wonderful success as a specialist. It is the secret likewise of the great practice which he now enjoys.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 696, 697, 698 Family Researcher: NA
Simon ASHCRAFT -
The success of men in business or, in any other vocation,
depends upon character as well as knowledge. It is a self-evident
proposition that honesty is the best policy. In every community some men are
known for their upright lives, strong common sense and moral worth, as well
as for their material prosperity and political standing. Neighbors and
acquaintances respect them, the younger generation heed their example and
when "they wrap the drapery of their couch about them and lie down to
pleasant dreams" posterity listens with reverence to the story of their
quiet, useful lives. Among the present generations of farmers of La Grange
township, Harrison county, Iowa, is Simon ASHCRAFT, a progressive man of
affairs, a man who has been successful in his vocation and also a man of
modest and unassuming demeanor, well informed and a fine type of reliable,
Simon Ashcraft was born on october 15, 1854, in Greene county, Indiana, son
of Jonathan and Martha (Tedrick) Ashcraft, who were the parents of three
children, Elijah of Brownwood, Texas; Henry, deceased; and Simon, the subject
of this sketch. Jonathan ASHCRAFT was born in Ohio and was reared on a farm.
He enlisted in the Civil War and died at Little Rock, Arkansas, during the
service. His wife was also a native of Ohio and died in 1856. Both parents,
in fact, died when Simon Ashcraft was only a child. He was reared by his
Simon Ashcraft started in life for himself when very young, attending the
schools of Greene county, Indiana, when slab boards were used for seats. For
a number of years, he worked out as a farm hand. He came to Harrison county,
Iowa, in 1876 and rented land in Clay township. He purchased 160 acres in La
Grange township, which is his present farm, in 1906. Mr. Ashcraft now owns
200 acres of the best farming land which is one of the best-located farms in
Harrison county. He has 60 acres of natural timber and a home with all of
the modern conveniences. Among other improvements, he has built an excellent
barn on his farm. Considering the handicaps under which he labored, Simon
Ashcraft has been very successful in life.
Simon ASHCRAFT was married the first time to Lydia E. GEORGE, who was born in
1865 in Harrison county, Iowa, and who was the daughter of Henry and Mary
(DURMAN) GEORGE. She died in 1883, leaving Mr. Ashcraft one son, Kerby, who
is a soldier in the United States Army. Mr. Ashcraft was married again in
1886, to Lillie M. MILLER, who was born in 1871 in Greene county, Illinois,
and who is a daughter of Levi and Julia (STEVENS) MILLER, natives of New York
and early settlers in Harrison county. Her father was a soldier in the Civil
War and died in 1912. Her mother is still living at Woodbine, Iowa. To this
second union, four children have been born, George T. a farmer of Jefferson
Township; James F. who farms the home place; Rosa M. who married C.S. COPPLE
of Union township; and Jennings B., who lives at home.
No better evidence of Mr. ASHCRAFT's thrift, industry and good management
could be cited than the fact that he lived on a rented farm for 22 years
without moving. This farm was rented from Fred SCHWERTLEY. Mr. ASHCRAFT is
a Democrat and served as constable of Clay township from 1882 to 1886. Mr.
Ashcraft and family are members of the Methodist Church.
It is extremely unusual for a man to accomplish in life what Simon ASHCRAFT
has achieved. But he has not only succeeded in a material way, but he is a
public-spirited citizen, a man who takes a keen interest in all of the
affairs of the community where he lives, a man who is highly respected for
his mature and sound judgment and for his ability as a leader. He is justly
deserving of the esteem in which he is held by his neighbors and fellow
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 951-52 Family Researcher: NA