If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Walter COOK, M.D. - The only physician in Pisgah, Harrison county, Iowa, is Dr. Walter COOK, who has been practicing here since 1901. Doctor COOK has had an interesting and varied career, during which time he has been a miner, ranchman and a school teacher. He started out in life for himself when he was seventeen years of age and traveled over the west, following various occupations and gaining an invaluable amount of experience of all kinds. He finally decided on a medical career and was graduated from Drake University in 1898, since which time he has been engaged in the practice of medicine. He keeps thoroughly up to date in his profession and has taken considerable post-graduate work since locating in Pisgah.
Dr. Walter COOK, the son of I. P. and Hannah M. (CHANTRY) COOK, was born November 2, 1866, near Dexter, Iowa. His father was born near West Newton, Indiana, and his mother in Lee county, Iowa. Doctor COOK's parents reared a family of eight children, the doctor being their third child.
I. P. COOK came to Iowa when he was eighteen years of age and located in Dallas county. His family is of English origin, and upon coming to America first located in South Carolina. After coming to Iowa, Mr. COOK met and married Hannah M. CHANTRY, whose father was a native of England. Her mother's people, the PASSMOREs, came with William PENN and located on the land grant which the King of England gave William PENN. The CHANTRY family moved from Pennsylvania to Guthrie county, Iowa, and in that county I. P. COOK met and married Hannah CHANTRY. Mr. and Mrs. COOK are still living and now make their home near Des Moines.
Doctor COOK was reared on the farm until he was sixteen years of age, and then went to Nebraska to live with an aunt. He stayed with her for one year and when he was seventeen years of age started west to seek his fortune. For a few years he led rather a nomadic and romantic career in the west. He lived in various states, doing all kinds of honest labor, such as mining and working on ranches. However, he had an ambition to do something in the world, and with this intention went to Chicago in the early nineties and attended a commercial school. After being graduated from this institution he decided that he did not want to enter commercial life, so he went to the Mayfield Academy at Marble Hill, Missouri, taking a teacher's course. After completing this course he taught in the public schools of Missouri until 1896. He had decided in the meantime to study medicine, and in that year entered Drake University and was graduated from the medical department in the spring of 1898. He practiced in the western part of Iowa until 1901, when he came to this county, locating at Pisgah, where he has since lived, being the first doctor to locate in that town. In 1909 and 1910 Doctor COOK went to the Louisville Medical College and the Chicago Post-graduate Medical School and took special courses in hospital work in order to prepare himself for more efficient service. He has a large practice throughout the northern part of Harrison county, and has met with uniform success.
Doctor COOK was married February 28, 1905, to Minnie COBB, the daughter of Elisha and Mariah (MCCOULOUGH) COBB. Mrs. COOK was born on her father's farm one mile and a half northeast of Pisgah, the only child of her parents, who were early pioneers of Harrison county, and she now owns the old homestead. Mr. COBB was a prominent man in the county and active in political affairs. Mrs. COOK is a prominent musician and has taught instrumental and vocal music in Pisgah and vicinity for more than twenty-five years. She is a woman of excellent education, having attended the schools of the Western Normal College at Shenandoah, Iowa, and Nebraska University at Lincoln.
Doctor COOK does not take an active part in politics, always giving his support, however, to the men he believes are the best qualified for the public position which they seek. He is a member of the Friends church at Des Moines, Iowa, while his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Pisgah. He is a member of the Harrison County, Iowa, State and American Medical Associations and also holds membership in the Missouri Valley Medical Association.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 698, 699, 700 Family Researcher: NA
Charles J. CUTLER -
The late Charles J. CUTLER was one of the pioneer business men of Modale, Harrison county, Iowa, and during a long and useful career endeared himself to every one with whom he was associated. Coming to this county in 1866, he was engaged in business in Modale from 1874 until his death in 1910. The business which he established is now in charge of his widow and eldest son, and is the oldest established business in Modale. Mr. CUTLER was one of the most public-spirited citizens of his community and always manifested a worthy zeal, not only toward material things, but also toward religion and education. The churches of Modale were all helped by him during his life time, and many were the little acts of kindness which he performed during his busy career. He left a name which always will be cherished by his children and honored by those who knew him.
Charles J. CUTLER was born April 10, 1842, in Erie, Pennsylvania, and died in Modale, Harrison county, Iowa, January 3, 1910. He was a son of Luke H. and Axiena (BARBER) CUTLER, natives of New York state, of English descent.
When he was fourteen years of age the family moved to Cass county, Nebraska, where Mr. CUTLER lived until the fall of 1866. He had been married three years previously, and in that year he and his young wife came to Harrison county and started a store in the Missouri bottoms for the benefit of the men who were getting out timber for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, then being built across the county. They operated their little store for about a year and a half, and then rented a farm for two years. In 1869 Mr. CUTLER bought a farm on which he lived until 1874. He then disposed of his farm, moved to Modale and engaged in the general merchandise business. He built an addition to the building which had been erected by William MARTIN and there he conducted his general store until 1886, in which year he sold his store and moved to Rapid City, South Dakota, where he took up a timber claim, living there until September, 1888, at which time he proved up his claim. He then came back to Modale and started a grocery store, later adding a line of shoes and gents' furnishing goods, and continued in active business in Modale until his death. Mr. CUTLER was one of the most successful business men of his day in the town of Modale, and was always in favor of public improvement of all kinds. Since his death his widow has been active manager of the store in partnership with her son, Mark. They also are stockholders in the Inter-State Telephone Company, being charter members of the company.
Charles J. CUTLER was postmaster of Modale for ten years, mayor for six years and held numerous minor offices. He was a life-long Republican and always was interested in the welfare of his party. He was one of the charter members of the Odd Fellow and Masonic lodges in Modale, and was secretary of the former lodge for many years. He and his wife also were charter members of the Order of Eastern Star. While not an active church member he was an enthusiastic supporter of the churches of Modale and gave freely of his means to the support of all denominations in the town. In all respects he was an ideal American citizen, a faithful and devoted husband and father, a successful business man and always was interested in the welfare of those about him.
On November 19, 1863, Charles J. CUTLER was united in marriage with Susan TOWNER, who was born April 11, 1846, in Bates county, Missouri, a daughter of Abram and Hester (VOUK) TOWNER, natives of Bradford county, Pennsylvania. Mrs. CUTLER's parents moved from Pennsylvania to Ohio and later to Illinois, and finally to Missouri. When Mrs. CUTLER was a small girl her parents located in Page county, Iowa. They lived there a short time and then moved to Mills county, in the same state, and subsequently to Cass county, Nebraska.
To Charles J. and Susan (TOWNER) CUTLERr were born six children, two of whom died in infancy. The four living children are Anna A., Mark H., Nettie M. and Hugh T. Anna married C. L. BEEBE and lives in Woodbine, in this county. She has three children living, Vesta, Edna and Henry, and one, Helen, who died when she was eight years of age. Mark H. is now in charge of the store in Modale, which he operates in connection with his mother. Nettie M. married Thomas T. BOURNE, and lives two miles northwest of Modale. She has no children living. Hugh T., who married Lea MANDELBERN, is paying teller in the United States National Bank of Omaha.
Sufficient has been said to indicate the interesting career of Mr. CUTLER. For more than forty years he was a prominent factor in the life of his community in this county, and it can be truthfully said of him that his influence always was cast for better things. He was kindly disposed towards those less fortunate than himself and in all respects lived up to those high ideals which are always associated with the true American citizen.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 717, 718, 719 Family Researcher: NA
Charles Gilmore -
The attention of the reader is now directed to a short sketch of the
career of Charles Gilmore, deceased, a worthy and well-known citizen of
St. Johns Township, Harrison County, Iowa and one of its pioneer citizens
to help to lay well the foundations for its present state of development
Mr. Gilmore was born in Ireland, practically nothing being known of his
parents, the time of his birth or the place and his life closed at his
farm home in Harrison county on March 30, 1892. Scarcely anything can be
told of his early struggles to gain a foot hold on the ladder of success,
but he must often have faced discouragements which would have overcome a
man of less courage. However, while little is known of his early life,
much is known of the later years when he had not only won material success,
but had made a place for himself among the representative citizens of this
county. His life showed that he was possessed of a worthy ambition and
high ideals and he was eminently entitled to the high regard in which he
was held by a great number of friends and acquaintances. He emigrated to
America when a young man, being accompanied by two brothers, John and
Dennis. Very soon after the outbreak of the Civil War, Dennis enlisted
for service and wore the blue throughout the struggle. In later years
more of the family came to America, there being another brother, Patrick
and two sisters, Alice and Martha. Patrick and Alice now live on Honey
Creek, this county and Martha married Edward McKeown. They lived for a
number of years in Pottawattamie County, both being now deceased.
Mr. Gilmore first set foot on the shores of America at the port of New
York and remained in that city for some two years. However, not finding
there the opportunity he sought, he came further west and in the lumber
camps of Michigan found a position which kept him for a few years. It
was in 1857 that he first came to this state, locating in Pottawattamie
county, where he secured employment on the farm of a Mr. Bostwick. After
working for him a short time and acquiring information as to the methods
employed in this section, he started out farming on his own account,
securing a tract of wild school land for the purpose. To this he gave
the best of his efforts for a few years and it was to that farm he brought
his bride. Mrs. Gilmore, who survives her husband, was Miss Sarah
Elizabeth Kerby, a native of Missouri, but living in Pottawattamie county
at the time of her marriage. She was a daughter of Joseph and Rebecca F.
(Quine) Kerby, the former a native of Kentucky, was a stone mason by trade
and followed that trade in Missouri, but did not follow it after removing
to Iowa. They had both been taken into Missouri by their parents and
their marriage took place in that state. Shortly after their marriage,
in 1851, they came to this state and settled in Pottawattamie County,
where they passed the remainder of their lives, his death occurring in
November of 1856 and his wife dying at St. Johns, this state in 1892.
Their journey to this state was made in wagons and they secured a tract of
wild land on the riverbank south of Loveland, where they made their home
for a good many years. The family first lived in a primitive small log
house, later moved into a house covered with shingles which he made
himself. There were the parents of seven children, Mrs. Gilmore being
the second child in order of birth and with her brother George, who lives
in Battle Creek, Washington, are the sole survivors of the family. Those
deceased are William A., Mary, Amanda Parks, Henry and the youngest of the
family, a little daughter who died in early infancy.
After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore resided in Pottawattamie county until
1873, when they sold out and came to Harrison county, locating in St.
Johns township on a tract of land which Mrs. Gilmore's father had secured
some time previous to his death. He had purchased this of James Kirkland,
but it was without improvements and Mr. Gilmore made the improvements on
the land as they stand today. He was a man of more than ordinary business
ability and foresight and early laid plans for the success which was his
in later life. The home place in St. John's township contains two hundred
and eighty acres and in addition he owned one hundred and eighty acres on
La Grange township. He gave his attention to farming as carried on by the
best agriculturists throughout this section and in addition was one of the
best stockmen in his community. He gave the best of his efforts to
whatever he undertook, which accounts in a large measure for the degree of
success which was his.
Mr. Gilmore was a veteran of the Civil War, being on of those faithful
adopted sons of the Union who took their places beside the native-born
sons and helped to preserve the integrity of the nation. He was a member
of an Iowa regiment of the volunteer infantry, enlisted in November of
1864, and served until July of the following year, when he received his
honorable discharge at the close of the war.
To Mr. and Mrs. Gilmore was born a family of nine children, seven of whom
still live. Joseph, the eldest of the family, remains at home and takes
charge of the farm for the mother. He received his education in the
district schools near his home and from the time he was a small lad he
received instruction from his father in the secrets of successful
husbandry, so that he has followed in the footsteps of his father and
is considered on the the best farmers of the community. Not only in
his ability does he resemble his father, but he is also known as a good
man and is greatly respected by friends throughout the entire county.
The second child of the family is Alice, who married Ed. McEvoy, a farmer
near Broken Bow, Nebraska. She is the mother of six children, Bertha,
Thomas, Evan, Annie, Charlie and Joseph. Annie, the third child of
subject, died unmarried, as did also Elizabeth, who died while still
young. Sarah married Charles Craven, a farmer living near Council Bluffs,
this state, and she has two children, Joseph and George. Mary, Bertha and
Ethel remain at home with the mother and Clarissa married Jacob Frye, of
St. John's township, this county.
Mr. Gilmore was raised a Catholic. In politics he was a Republican,
although he never having any aspirations to public office. The Gilmore
family is well known throughout the county, having been prominent citizens
of the same for many years. Mrs. Gilmore is a fine motherly woman, much
loved by many friends and is one of the few women who have come down to us
from pioneer days. She has been keenly interested in the many changes
that have come about since she first came to this state and has many
interesting things to tell of the struggles and hardships of pioneer
days. She has attained to a ripe age and is remarkably well preserved
for one of her years retaining a keen interest in life and keeping in
close touch with the progress of the times.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History - pp. 810-813.
Family Researcher: Janette Lager
Bryon L. JONES - The attention of the reader is now directed to a brief sketch of the career of Bryon L. JONES, for many-years engaged in the hardware and lumber business in Little Sioux, Harrison county, Iowa, and now living in quiet retirement from the more active affairs of life. Some philosopher has remarked that a keen insight into the life of any man, a thorough study of its motives and actions, would be beneficial to all those who strive to attain to the better things of life. Life is so complex and we know not the secret strivings and efforts of our brother's life; we can judge only of its results, and in the kindly life of the present subject, much is found that is elevating and has a tendency to increase one's faith in mankind generally.
Bryon L. JONES was born on September 13, 1844, in Knox county, Ohio, a son of William S. and Eliza (MCCURDY) JONES, the former a native of Wales and the latter of the state of New Jersey. The father of William S. was Isaac, who emigrated to this country and settled in Knox county, Ohio. William S. JONES was the father of eight children, all of whom except one were reared to maturity in the freedom of farm life, the father having followed that vocation all his life. In 1847 William S. JONES moved from his home in Ohio and located on a farm in Hancock county, Illinois, where he remained until 1866, in which year he moved to this county and state, locating on the Soldier river, in Jackson township. There he purchased a tract of eight hundred acres of land, but was not long permitted to remain thereon. Death called him away in 1868, thus leaving parentless the family of seven children, the mother having passed from this life the previous year. After the death of the father, the children divided up the estate and B. L. JONES continued, for about twenty-two years, to make his home on that portion which fell to his lot. In 1885 he sold a portion of his heritage and removed to Little Sioux, where, in partnership with his brother, A. M. JONES, he engaged in the retail hardware business. This partnership continued for about a year, at the end of which time B. L. JONES purchased the interest of his brother and continued the business alone until 1905, since which time he practically has been retired from the active affairs of life. In connection with his hardware business he also carried a line of lumber and kindred supplies and did much to enhance the commercial interests of the town.
Mr. JONES is a veteran of the Civil War, having first enlisted as a private in Company A, One Hundred and Eighteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with his brother, Sanders W. JONES. He remained in that company for one year and eleven months and then re-enlisted as a private in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, remaining thus attached until the close of the war. Mr. JONES saw considerable active serv1ce during his term as a soldier of the Union and at an engagement at Champion's Hill, Mississippi, was captured and held prisoner by the enemy. However, he was soon afterward released, owing to the fact that he was in frail health and clearly could not withstand the rigors of prison life. After the close of the war he returned to his home and again took up his work as a farmer.
In 1868 Mr. JONES was united in marriage with Mary A. ALTON, who was born in Hancock county, Illinois, July 15, 1848, a daughter of David M. and Susan (HARWICK) ALTON. Mrs. JONES had, up to this time of her marriage, passed her entire life in Illinois and had never visited this county until after her marriage. This union was without issue, but in the good hearts of Mr. and Mrs. JONES there existed an abiding love for little children and they took into their home and reared to maturity four homeless little ones. They have thus won for themselves the blessings of parenthood and conferred a lasting favor upon mankind in their care of these helpless ones. Both Mr. and Mrs. JONES are held in high regard by a large circle of friends and acquaintances and the influence of their useful lives goes far beyond their own threshold.
Mr. JONES has always been an advocate of the principles of the Republican party and takes pride in the fact that his first vote was cast for Abraham LINCOLN, that vote being cast while he was in the army. Mr. JONES has never filled any public office other than that of township trustee, but in his quiet way has been influential in the politics of his section. His fraternal affiliation he holds in the Grand Army of the Republic, being a member of Neitz Post at Little Sioux. Mr. JONES has never affiliated himself with any church society, but is keenly interested in the welfare of all and attends the various churches of his home town. While never having made a public profession of faith, he has ordered his life in harmony with the examples of the Great Teacher. Aside from some time given to the management of his farm on the River Sioux, he lives in quiet retirement, surrounded by friends and enjoying the comradeship of his faithful helpmeet, both honored and respected by all.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 702, 703, 704 Family Researcher: NA
Samuel R. DECOU - Samuel R. DECOU is a native of Harrison county, where he has spent his entire life, with the exception of the years he was a student in Iowa State University, and one year spent in Tacoma, Washington. Mr. DECOU was born August 15, 1880, in Douglas township, the son of Isaac A. and Sarah E. (PORTER) DECOU. Isaac A. DECOU was a native of the Dominion of Canada and one of the early settlers in Harrison county. After coming to this country he engaged in farming until about 1894 when he moved to Woodbine and entered the implement business in partnership with his brother, W. H. DECOU, under the firm name of DECOU Brothers. In connection with this business they were engaged in the buying and selling of live stock and grain, and Isaac A. DECOU continued in these occupations during the remainder of his life. He was known as a man of splendid judgment and correct principles of business conduct and won for himself an enviable place in the life of Harrison county.
Sarah E. DECOU, the mother of Samuel R., was a native of Delaware county, New York. She bore Mr. DECOU two children, the elder a daughter, Emily, who is the wife of Dr. Frederick BINDER, a prominent physician at Corning, Iowa, and Samuel R., who is the younger of the family. By a former marriage of Isaac A. DECOU one son, Arthur, was born. He is at present engaged in the farm implement, grain and live stock business in Woodbine.
When a boy, Samuel R. DECOU attended the district schools of Douglas township, Harrison county, Iowa. Later he attended the Woodbine Normal and upon the completion of the course there entered the law department of Iowa State University at Iowa City. He was graduated from that university with the degree of Bachelor of Law in 1906. Upon concluding his legal studies Mr. DECOU passed the state board examination and was admitted to the bar, but never engaged in the actual practice of law. His legal training, however, has been of invaluable benefit in his commercial life. Upon the death of his father in 1907 Mr. DECOU entered the grain and implement business. Later the increasing popularity of the automobile induced the firm to add a line of motor cars and accessories. He and his brother, Arthur DECOU, with whom he was in partnership, were very successful in this business venture. Late in 1913 this partnership was dissolved, Arthur DECOU continuing in the grain and implement business. Samuel R. DECOU entered into partnership with A. J. COE in loans and insurance and they are now located in the First National Bank building at Woodbine, Iowa, under the firm name of S. R. DECOU & Company. This firm has become well established in Woodbine and enjoys a large and lucrative patronage.
Samuel R. DECOU was married February 15, 1911, to Jessie Scott COE, the daughter of Josiah and Jessie (KINNIS) COE. The former was for thirty years president of the First National Bank of Woodbine, and one of the successful farmers of the community.
Mr. and Mrs. DECOU are regular attendants of the Christian church, although Mr. DECOU is a member of the Protestant Episcopal church. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, being a member of the latter lodge at Council Bluffs. Politically, Mr. DECOU is a Republican and, although he has always taken a commendable interest in political matters, he has never been an aspirant to public office. Although still a young man, Samuel R. DECOU has taken a well-deserved place among the leading men of this community.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 734, 735 Family Researcher: NA
Edwin A. DRAKE - As a member of the firm of NOBLE, DRAKE & Company, Edwin A. DRAKE has been identified with the business interests of Modale, Harrison county, Iowa, since 1904. Previous to this time he had been engaged in carpentering and contracting and in the hardware business in Bee, Nebraska. Since coming to Harrison county, he has become recognized as one of the leading business men of Modale and in all respects has merited the high esteem in which he is held by those who know him.
Edwin A. DRAKE, the son of Thomas J. and Mary (RINEHART) DRAKE was born May 31, 1876, in Green county, Iowa. His parents were natives of Ohio and Illinois, respectively, who located in Iowa about 1872, settling in Green county, where they lived until 1879, in which year they again moved west, settling in Seward county, Nebraska. They reared a family of six children, of whom Edwin A. was the second born.
The education of Edwin A. DRAKE was received in the schools of Seward county, Nebraska, he having been about three years old when his parents moved to that state. He received a high-school education and later spent one term in York College, in Nebraska. After leaving college he became a carpenter and contractor, and during the five years in which he was engaged in that business he was very successful. Seeing an opportunity to engage in business, he bought a partnership in a hardware store at Bee, Seward county, Nebraska, and remained there three years. He then disposed of his interest to his partner, E. G. BATCHELDER, and came to Modale, Harrison county, Iowa. Upon coming to this county in 1904 he was first employed as a salesman for C. MYERS, but two years later the firm changed hands and he then bought an interest in the store, the firm now being known as NOBLE, DRAKE & Company. As manager of the store he well may be classed as one of Modale's foremost business men, since in the management of the store he has manifested those qualities which are characteristic of the successful business man.
Mr. DRAKE is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons at Modale and of the chapter at Missouri Valley. While he is a stanch Democrat he has never cared to take an active part in political life. Mr. DRAKE is unmarried.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 719, 720 Family Researcher: NA
Walter G. FINLEY, M.D. - Dr. Walter G. FINLEY has spent his whole life thus far in Harrison county. After receiving a high school education he was graduated from a medical college in 1903, and has since then engaged in the practice of medicine in this county. Since 1912 he also has operated a drug store in Mondamin in connection with his general practice as a physician. Doctor FINLEY is a wide-awake and public-spirited citizen and is interested in everything that pertains to the development of his community. In his younger days he was considered one of the best athletes in the county. He played football in the first Rugby game ever played in Logan. He also was captain of the Logan baseball team for several years.
Walter G. FINLEY, the son and only child of Hiram L. and Isabelle (MCCLURE) FINLEY, was born May 17, 1879, five miles northeast of Logan, Harrison county, Iowa. His father was born in Laporte county, Indiana, and his mother in Botetourt county, Virginia.
About 1874 Hiram L. FINLEY came to Harrison county, Iowa, where he worked for his uncle on a stock farm, the farm being known as the T. M. C. LOGAN farm. After working there a few years Mr. FINLEY returned to his native state and induced his father, William FINLEY, also to come west. The latter located in Harrison county and bought a farm five miles east of Logan, which is now owned by his son, M. J. FINLEY. Doctor FINLEY's grandparents spent the rest of their lives in Harrison county. Soon after the FINLEY family came to Harrison county, Hiram L. FINLEY was married and he at once located on the farm where Doctor FINLEY was born. While working for T. M. C. LOGAN, Hiram L. FINLEY helped to remove the county records from Magnolia to Logan. This performance took place at night and a large number of men throughout the county were parties to the daring deed. The interesting story of this removal is told elsewhere in this volume. About 1882 Hiram L. FINLEY moved to Logan and bought a dray line, which he operated for several years. He then sold out and learned the barber trade, eventually buying a barber shop, which he managed for about eighteen years. In 1903 he sold his shop and moved back to LaPorte, Indiana, where he is now engaged in the barber business.
Dr. Walter G. FINLEY was graduated from the Logan high school with the class of 1898. He then worked for one year in the drug store of Dr. J. E. JONES at Logan, and in the fall of 1899 went to Omaha to study medicine in Creighton Medical College, being in continuous attendance until the spring of 1903, in which year he received his degree. On June 3 of that year he established himself in Mondamin, this county, for the practice of his profession, and remained there until 1909, in which year he removed to Missouri Valley, remaining there three years, at the end of which time, in 1912, he returned to Mondamin and bought out the W. L. STEWART drug store. On March 3, 1914, Doctor FINLEY's store was destroyed in the big fire in Mondamin, but he at once rebuilt and again established himself in busines. He has erected a three-thousand-dollar brick building in which he has his drug store and office. His drug store is one of the best arranged and most modern drug stores in western Iowa. Doctor FINLEY does a large business in Mondamin and the surrounding community, and has built up a large and lucrative professional practice, being justly regarded as one of the 1eading practitioners of his county.
Doctor FINLEY was married June 17, 1908, to Teresa B. MORROW, who was born August 20, 1887, in Allen township, this county, a daughter of Hugh P. and Rose (FERGUSON) MORROW. Her father was born in Canada of Irish parentage, and was one of the earliest settlers of Harrison county. The FERGUSONs also were pioneers in the county, having located near Magnolia. Doctor FINLEY and his wife have two daughters, Eleanor H., born September 10, 1909, and Rose I., born January 8, 1912.
Doctor FINLEY is a Republican, but owing to the nature of his business has never taken an active part in political affairs. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also of the encampment. He holds membership in the Woodmen of the World, the Homesteaders and the Daughters of Rebekah. He also is a member of the Harrison County Medical Association, the Iowa State Medical Association and the American Medical Association.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 709, 710 Family Researcher: NA
William G. FISHER - A resident of Jackson township, Harrison county, Iowa, for the past forty-five years, William G. FISHER has been a useful citizen of the community where he has resided. As a young man he served his country during the Civil War, serving nearly two years in the navy, during which time he had some very exciting experiences. Since locating in Harrison county he has engaged in general farming and stock raising and while primarily engaged in advancing his own interests has not neglected to take a part in the civic life of his community, having filled official positions of public trust with credit to himself and satisfaction to his fellow citizens.
William G. FISHER, the son of David Y. and Delilah (ARMICOST) FISHER, was born near Moscow, Clermont county, Ohio, April 27, 1846. His parents were both natives of Ohio and lived in that state all their days. His father enlisted for service in the Mexican War when a mere boy, but peace was declared before he reached the scene of war with his regiment.
William G. FISHER was one of eleven children born to his parents. He lived at home in Ohio until December, 1864, when he enlisted in the navy as a seaman. He first served on the "Fannie," which was called a "tin clad," owning to the thinness of its armor. This boat was stationed on the Mississippi river and he remained with it for some months, at the end of which time he was transferred to the monitor "Osage," remaining with the latter vessel until the battle of Mobile Bay, at which time the monitor was struck by a torpedo while lying in the mouth of the Alabama river. The resulting explosion was so severe that the vessel was blown up and sunk. Nine men were killed and many more injured. Mr. FISHER received a severe cut on the back of his head and a severe injury to his back. Despite the severity of his wounds he did not want to go to the hospital. He was compelled to remain there for several weeks, however, and as soon as he was discharged from the hospital he was sent with a wrecking crew to raise the "Osage" and take the turrets and guns from the other vessels that could not be raised. He continued in the service throughout the remainder of 1865 and until July 3, 1866, when he was honorably discharged.
Immediately after the close of his enlistment Mr. FISHER returned to his home in Clermont county, Ohio, and remained on the home farm for four years. He married in the spring of 1870 and at once he and his young wife came west and located in Harrison county, Iowa. He rented land for two years after coming here from W. ARTHUR, in Jackson township. In 1872 he bought fifty acres of land in section 3 of that township and built a small one room house, fourteen by eighteen feet. He later added two rooms to this dwelling and lived in it until 1908, when he built his present comfortable home. Mr. FISHER carries on general farming and engages quite extensively in stock raising and has met with good success in all of his agricultural operations.
On February 16, 1870, William G. FISHER was united in marriage with Elizabeth ABRAMS, who was born September 10, 1846, in Clermont county, Ohio, a daughter of George and Rachel (EVANS) ABRAMS. Her parents were farmers in Ohio and reared a family of eight children, Elizabeth being the third child in order of birth.
To William G. and Elizabeth (ABRAMS) FISHER were born four children, William A., George, David and Frank M. George, who was born September 17, 1874, married Julia MCWILLIAMS, and lives in Mitchell county, Kansas. He has one son, Ernest L., born July 11, 1902. David, who was born September 28, 1876, lives near St. Andrews, Washington, where he owns a farm. Frank M., who was born January 5, 1879, has been twice married. His first wife was Jessie PARK, who died leaving one daughter, Florence, born March 28, 1908. Frank later married Emma WEBER, and now lives on a farm north of his father's farm in Jackson township. William A., born July 23, 1872, is unmarried and makes his home with his parents.
Mr. FISHER is a stanch Republican and has always been interested in the success of his party. He served as trustee of Jackson township for twelve years, and the length of his tenure indicates the esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and are deeply interested in its welfare.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 686, 687 Family Researcher: NA
James F. GAMET - One of the earliest families to locate in Harrison county, Iowa, was the GAMET family, and James F. GAMET has spent his whole life of nearly half a century within the limits of this county. As a young man he worked for a few years in his father's store at Mondamin, and since then has engaged in general farming and stock raising. He now has one of the best-improved farms in Morgan township and a beautiful country home equipped with all of the modern conveniences. In the welfare of his community he has always taken an active part and manifested a worthy zeal toward all public-spirited measures.
James F. GAMET, the son of David and Nancy (HUTCHISON) GAMET, was born September 16, 1866, one-half mile south of his present home in Morgan township. His parents were natives of New York and Ohio, respectively, and located in Harrison county in its early history. His father was an extensive land owner and had about twelve hundred acres of land in the county at one time. The grandfather of James F. GAMET was the second recorder and treasurer of Harrison county. The sketch of George L. GAMET, which appears elsewhere in this volume, gives the genealogy of this family.
James F. GAMET was one of nine children born to his parents and the eldest son. He lived at home until he was married and in his boyhood days received a good common-school education. Later he attended a business college and received a good commercial training. After he was married his father gave him eighty acres of land and to this he has since added eighty acres. While his father was engaged in the mercantile business in Mondamin he worked for him in the store for three years. Since then he has devoted all of his time and attention to general farming and stock raising. He raises Duroc-Jersey hogs and Polled Durham cattle. He also has been an extensive raiser of full-blooded Buff Orpington chickens. He has placed extensive improvements upon his farm and has equipped it with all of those conveniences which will insure the best results.
On October 23, 1888, Mr. GAMET was married to Minnie M. BEAMAN, who was born in Greene county, Indiana, a daughter of Jacob W. and Elizabeth (WONDER) BEAMAN. Mr. and Mrs. GAMET have nine children, Everett E., Eva, David W., Burl, Clarence, Anna, Carroll, Elma and Mildred. All of these children are still single and living with their parents with the exception of Everett E. He married Birdie ROBINSON, and has two children, Bruce and Vida. He lives in Mondamin.
The family are all loyal members of the Church of the Latter-Day Saints. Mr. GAMET is a Democrat and has been one of the school directors of his township for nearly twenty years. He always has been actively interested in educational matters and gives his hearty support to all measures which he believes will benefit the schools of his neighborhood. The family are highly respected and esteemed in the community where they have lived so many years, and Mr. GAMET is eminently entitled to the hearty approbation which he receives from his friends and neighbors.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 748, 749 Family Researcher: NA