If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Alonzo H. SNIFF - The value of a newspaper in a community cannot be overestimated, and especially when it is under the management of a capable and conscientious editor. One of the best newspapers of Harrison county, Iowa, is the Harrison County News at Missouri Valley, which, under the management of Alonzo H. SNIFF, has been a potent factor for good in the county for more than a quarter of a century. Mr. SNIFF is a college-trained man, a successful educator of many years' experience, and later the publisher and editor of the Harrison County News. His paper always has espoused all movements and reforms which have promised better conditions in the county and certainly has been one of the most potent agencies in the advancement of the general welfare of the people of Harrison county.
Alonzo H. SNIFF, the son of Edward and Rebecca (FUNK) SNIFF, was born in Logan county, Ohio, June 12, 1853. His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania, of German ancestry. His father was a contractor and builder and one of those solid German citizens possessed of industry and perseverance. William N. SNIFF, the grandfather of Alonzo H., came with his four or five sons to Green Bay, Lee county, Iowa, in the spring of 1845, and took up farming and stock raising. On account of ill health William N. SNIFF returned with his family to Ohio, where he spent the remainder of his life. Alonzo H. SNIFF's father returned to Lee county, Iowa, in 1857, having learned the carpenter trade and married in his native state. Edward SNIFF first bought a ten-acre tract in Lee county, which, in a few years, he increased to forty acres, and this small farm Alonzo H. SNIFF farmed when he was fifteen years of age. Edward SNIFF later bought a farm of one hundred and twenty acres in the same locality and Alonzo H. and his younger brother continued working on their father's farm until they were grown. His father later sold the farm and moved to the town of Denmark, Lee county, Iowa, to educate the children. This town was founded in 1837 by a band of Congregationalists from New England. The SNIFF children were all desirous of an education and Denmark offered excellent opportunities for schooling. After removing to Denmark with his family Edward SNIFF bought another farm at the edge of that town and lived there until his death, October 3, 1908, at the age of seventy-eight.
Edward SNIFF and wife were the parents of ten children, five of whom are living, D. A., a contractor of Hutchinson, Kansas; W. W. SNIFF, the pastor of the Christian church at Newcastle, Pennsylvania; Mrs. Sadie RICHARDS, a widow living in Los Angeles, California; Mrs. Ida FARLEY, the wife of E. S. FARLEY, auditor of the Missouri, Kansas City and Texas Railway Company at Parsons, Kansas, and Alonzo H., of Missouri Valley, Iowa.
Alonzo H. SNIFF was graduated from the classical course of the Denmark Academy in 1877. In the fall of the same year he started in teaching as superintendent of the Parkersburg, Iowa, schools, and taught in various places until the spring of 1897, since which time he has been the publisher of the Harrison County News. After leaving Parkersburg he was superintendent of the schools at Webster City, Nevada, and then went to Dunlap, Iowa. His last educational work was done in Missouri Valley, Iowa, where he was superintendent of the schools. He was a very successful teacher, and while teaching in Nevada had Billy SUNDAY, the famous evangelist, as one of his pupils. Dean CURTISS, of the Iowa State College, was another of Mr. SNIFF's pupils. Mr. SNIFF moved to Dunlap, Harrison county, Iowa, in 1882, and to Missouri Valley in 1886. He had bought the News at Missouri Valley in 1886, but taught the year 1886-7 in Missouri Valley as superintendent of the schools. Since 1887 he has devoted all of his time and attention to his editorial duties.
Mr. SNIFF has always been identified with the Republican party in politics, although he is not a partisan in any sense of the word. In 1888 he was the presidential elector from the Ninth Congressional District, and cast the vote of his district for Benjamin HARRISON. His paper has been noted for its support of all uplift movements and has taken the lead in the fight for public welfare measures. It labored zealously for the installation of a drainage system in the county, and for telephones and for all public improvements. Mr. SNIFF has been a frequent speaker on the platform and has a wide reputation as an orator.
The Harrison County News at present is published but twice a week, although for eighteen years it was a daily paper. Mr. SNIFF has been a Mason since 1881. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is president of the Old Settlers' Association of Harrison county, an association which has annual meetings, and which has been made the basis of a county historical association.
Mr. SNIFF was married November 28, 1878, to Mary E. GUTHRIE, who was one of his teachers at Shellsburg, Iowa. Mrs. SNIFF is a woman of refinement and culture and deeply interested in various church and literary societies of the city. She also has been closely associated with her husband in the editing and management of the News, in which work she has shown as much if not more efficiency than in her educational or club work. Jointly these two people have devoted their lives for the good of humanity, rather than with a view to amassing riches. In this work they have found their chief joy in living, "For the good they may be doing as the years are passing by."
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 744, 745, 746 Family Researcher: NA
Jerome TOOMBS - Since 1878 Jerome TOOMBS has been a resident of Harrison county, Iowa, and for the past twenty years he has been engaged in the buying, feeding and selling of hogs and cattle, and has made a pronounced success of this line of activity. He is a man of excellent business ability and is now one of the largest stock shippers in the county.
Jerome TOOMBS, the son of Samuel and Artemisia (ROSE) TOOMBS, was born March 6, 1852, in Racine county, Wisconsin. His parents were natives of England and New York, respectively. Samuel TOOMBS came to the United States with his parents when seven years of age, the family first locating in New York, later, in 1839, moving to Wisconsin, being among the first settlers in that state. In 1852 Samuel TOOMBS went to California, leaving his family in Wisconsin. He was not successful in finding gold and returned to Wisconsin, where he spent the rest of his life.
Jerome TOOMBS received a limited education in Racine county, Wisconsin, and early in life began to work on the farm, spending as much time as he could in the school room during the winter seasons. When he was twenty-four years of age he started out working for himself in the pineries in the northern part of Wisconsin. He worked in the woods one winter and in 1878 came to Harrison county, Iowa, where he worked by the month for the first year or two. He then rented land for about five years, but in the meantime became interested in the buying and shipping of stock. In 1894 he began to buy stock which he would feed for the market and has followed this business ever since.
Mr. TOOMBS was married June 29, 1905, to Mrs. Mary (BURNS) EDMONDS, a daughter of Samuel BURNS, a pioneer settler of Harrison county, and the widow of Orson EDMONDS, for whom the town of Orson was named.
Mr. TOOMBS is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Little Sioux. He is a Democrat, but is not a partisan in any sense of the word. He always votes for the best men regardless of their politics. He has been trustee of Jackson township for one term and rendered his fellow citizens efficient service during his incumbency. Mrs. TOOMBS is a member of the Catholic church.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 695, 696 Family Researcher: NA
James C. ARNOLD - Among those sterling citizens of Harrison county who have impressed their personality upon their community, mention must not be omitted of James C. ARNOLD, at present holding the responsible position of cashier of the Pisgah Savings Bank. While numbered among the younger business men of this section, Mr. ARNOLD has given evidence of possessing unusual business ability which might well do credit to an older and more experienced man. He has come to his present station solely by his own efforts directed along proper channels and is at the same time an inspiration and example to younger men who are now at the threshold of their business careers.
Mr. ARNOLD is a native of this county, having been born west of Woodbine on September 24, 1878, the son of John and Francis (GRIFFITH) ARNOLD. The father also was a native of this state, born in Pottawattamie county, while the mother came from further east, probably from the state of Ohio. James C. ARNOLD's parents came to this county almost directly after their marriage, possibly as early as 1870, or perhaps as late as 1876. They were farmers, following this vocation for many years. The mother's death occurred on April 4, 1894, while the father died in 1900. He was a veteran of the Civil War and spent his declining days among congenial surroundings at the soldiers' home at Hot Springs, South Dakota.
James C. ARNOLD received his early education in the schools near his boyhood home, remaining beneath the parental roof until about fourteen years of age, at which stage of his progress he began working out among the farmers of the neighborhood. In this way he early learned the meaning of the words hard work, and, judging by the diligence with which he has since applied himself to various undertakings, they long since have lost whatever, if any, terror they originally may have inspired in his heart. In farm work he passed several years and when almost twenty years of age something occurred that changed the whole course of his career. This was no less than the opening of hostilities between our country and Spain, which resulted in the Spanish-American War, and fired with patriotic enthusiasm, James C. ARNOLD enlisted in April of 1898 as a private in Company L, Fifty-first Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was off for the front. He was first sent with his regiment to San Francisco, California, where the regiment remained for six months, six months of impatient waiting, for all longed to reach the seat of trouble in the Philippines. Finally, on November 3 of the same year, they embarked on the transport "Pennsylvania" and headed for the Philippine Islands. They stopped en route at Honolulu, landing there on November 11 and remained four days in that wonderful tropical gem of the sea. Then, again, they embarked and at last, on February 5, 1899, landed at Manila, Companies C and L being the last to disembark. After this long and tedious voyage the volunteers were glad to be once more on land, even though it took them into the midst of hardships and privations. While they were never engaged in any regular battle, they were continuously engaged in skirmishing, which permitted them little rest day or night. From April 23 to May 5 the men of the company to which Mr. ARNOLD was attached did not once have an opportunity to remove their clothes and were compelled to forage for every bite of food they obtained. When it is remembered that all this was in a foreign land, in a climate and under conditions to which all were unaccustomed, some idea may be gained of what it meant to the men who endured all this. In the fall of 1899, Mr. ARNOLD was returned to this country and on November 2 of that year received his discharge at Presidio, California. Immediately after this he returned home and for two years attended the Woodbine Normal School, where he took a complete course in book-keeping and kindred subjects. His first clerical position was with the First National Bank of Woodbine, where he served in the capacity of bookkeeper. He remained there but a short time and then went to Fresno, California, where, for a year and a half, he filled a similar position. However, his native state claimed his best endeavors and he returned to Woodbine to assume the position of assistant cashier of the First National Bank. He held that position until August of 1910, in which year he went to Pisgah and became cashier of the Pisgah Savings Bank, which place he now fills and is making for himself quite an enviable reputation in banking circles.
On April 14, 1906, Mr. ARNOLD was united in marriage with Grace M. DUMOND, who was born on July 28, 1879, in Pottawattamie county, this state, near the town of Wheeler, a daughter of Theodore and Elizabeth (LECCART) DUMOND, the former of whom was born in Illinois and the latter in Ohio. Mr. ARNOLD's marriage took place while he was in Fresno, California, his bride going there to meet him. Their union has been blessed with one child, Evonne L., born September 9, 1913.
Both Mr. and Mrs. ARNOLD are consistent and active members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He holds his fraternal affiliation with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, having joined that order in 1899, and both he and his wife became members of the Daughters of Rebekah about the year 1904. Mr. ARNOLD is one of the most active members of the local lodge of Odd Fellows. He has filled all the chairs and in 1908 was elected representative to the grand lodge, which position he held for two years. He also is prominent in local politics, being a strong adherent of the principles of the Democratic party. He was elected mayor of Pisgah in 1912, filling that office very acceptably for two years.
Mr. ARNOLD is of the highest type of citizenship, for while primarily endeavoring to further his own interests along legitimate lines, he has never lost sight of the duty he owes to the community at large and with this thought in mind is ever ready to give whatever assistance is within his power to raise higher the standard of civilization. We are told of old that a "prophet is not without honor save in his own country," and when a man in the place of his birth raises himself from humble circumstances solely by his own effort to an enviable station in the estimation of that same locality, such as has been done by the man under discussion, eulogy can add nothing to a simple and forceful statement of that fact.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 700, 701, 702 Family Researcher: NA
Fred W. BEEKMANN - The town of Pisgah, Harrison county, Iowa, has no more enterprising citizen than Fred W. BEEKMANN, who has been engaged in business there since 1910. Born and reared in Nebraska he has made his home in Harrison county since 1905, and until he moved to Pisgah was engaged in farming. He takes an active part in the civic life of his home township and has performed service in public official positions in a manner very satisfactory to his constituents. He is interested in various lines of activity and carries forward to successful completion everything he undertakes. Owing to the fact that he is a man of high character he is held in high esteem by his neighbors and fellow citizens.
Fred W. BEEKMANN, the son of Charles H. and Cecelia BEEKMANN, was born March 18, 1874, in Blair, Nebraska. His parents were natives of Germany and upon coming to the United States, in 1864, they located in Omaha, where they lived for several years. They finally moved to Blair, Nebraska, where they homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land. Charles H. BEEKMANN used to raise wheat where the town of Blair now stands. His wife is still living in Blair in the home where she has spent the greater portion of her married life. Five children were born to Charles BEEKMANN and wife, four of whom are living.
Fred W. BEEKMANN is the eldest son of his father's family, there being a younger brother and two sisters who are older. He lived at home for a time after he was married and his oldest child was born in the same house where he was born. In 1899 his father's estate was divided and he then farmed his share in addition to some land which he rented. He remained on the farm in Blair county, Nebraska, until 1905, when he sold his land and came to Harrison county. He bought eighty acres in the Soldier valley and farmed there for five years. In 1910 he sold his farm for just twice what he gave for it, and moved into Pisgah, where he bought property and has since made that town his home. He began buying hogs, cattle, poultry and grain and has kept up this line of activity. He has the agency for the Hanford Creamery Company, and also handles the Sharpless tubular cream separators. He is a stockholder in the Interstate Telephone Company, and is manager of the Pisgah exchange. He also is a shareholder in the Pisgah Savings Bank.
Mr. BEEKMANN was married February 19, 1896, to Maggie DUNKLE, who was born November 8, 1878, in Crescent, Iowa, a daughter of William DUNKLE, who is now a resident of Harrison county, living near Woodbine. Mr. and Mrs. BEEKMANN have five children, Marie, born January 10, 1897; Celia, born July 3, 1901; Alma, born June 23, 1905; Ella, born March 18, 1910, and Fred, Jr., born April 19, 1914.
Mr. BEEKMANN is a Republican and has frequently been called upon by his party to give his services to the public. He was township assessor of Jackson township for four years, and has been president of the school board in Pisgah for three years. He takes an active interest in good government and no measure is proposed to that end which does not receive his hearty and enthusiastic support. While he is not a member he believes in the work of the church and gives his hearty support to various church activities. Mr. BEEKMANN is a welcome addition to the citizenship of this county, and has built up a wide acquaintance in the county since locating here.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 706, 707 Family Researcher: NA
Emri J. BROWN - Among the well respected citizens of Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, is the gentleman whose name heads this biographical sketch. Emri J. BROWN was for many years actively engaged in agricultural circles in this vicinity, but some years ago retired from active labors and took up his residence in Woodbine, there to spend the remainder of his allotted span of years in quiet enjoyment. Additional honor is due him owing to the fact that he was one of the loyal sons of the Union when the crisis of the Civil War threatened to disrupt the nation, and gave to the cause three years of service. We of a younger generation in this peaceful land can hardly appreciate what sacrifice was represented in such an act. To lay aside all personal and private business, duties to family and friends, to lay one's life on the altar of patriotism, and to lose it if need be, this calls for a degree of heroism and sacrifice of the finest and highest order.
Mr. BROWN is a son of Horace T. and Alma (BARBER) BROWN and was born on May 29, 1840, in Caledonia, New York state. Both parents were born in that same locality and remained there until 1842. The father was engaged in farming all his life and in the year mentioned they left their native state and went to Michigan, settling in Lapeer county. There they remained but one year and not liking the location, removed to LaSalle county, Illinois. Remaining there but a short time, they then came to this state in 1848 and settled in Black Hawk county where they stayed for three years. They then found a better location in Clinton county and located about one-quarter mile southwest of Wheatland and remained there until the death of the father. The mother later moved to Shelby county, where she spent the rest of her life. They were the parents of five children, namely: Charles E., who resides in Nebraska; Horace T., a farmer in Oregon; M. A., a farmer in this state, residing near Harlan; Angenette, the only daughter and the youngest of the family, who died when sixteen years of age. The immediate subject of this sketch is the second child in order of birth.
When a youth, Mr. BROWN had very little opportunity for education, as the newly-opened localities in which his boyhood was passed did not at that time have school facilities of any importance. He remained with his parents until the time of his marriage in his twenty-second year. His bride, with whom he was united in marriage in 1867, was Mrs. Rachael A. (ALFORD) BROWN, born in New York state, a daughter of Linus and Fannie (ALEXANDER) ALFORD, the former a native of Vermont and the latter born and reared in New York. In 1840 the ALFORDs came westward, locating first in LaSalle county, Illinois, and later living in Clinton county, Iowa, and in this way the two young people met. Mr. ALFORD when a young man had mastered the trade of ship carpenter, at which he worked until coming west, after which time he gave his attention to farming. Mrs. ALFORD died in Clinton county, this state, and Mr. ALFORD in Harrison county. Mrs. BROWN was the widow of Harmon DIMMICK of New York, who died during the Civil War, while at the front. He was a member of Company H, Fifty-eighth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and his death occurred in 1864, while his company was at Montgomery, Alabama. By her first marriage Mrs. BROWN had one son, Charles H., who lives in Kansas, where he is engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN have one son, Albert L., who resides in Woodbine, where he is engaged in the real estate business and also gives considerable attention to farming interests. He married Florence ZIMMER and has two children, Harold and Gladys.
Following his marriage, Mr. BROWN remained in Clinton county for three years and then decided to try his fortune in Kansas. He located his family in Mitchell county, in the latter state, and there they remained for eleven years, he acquiring a farm of one hundred and sixty acres. In 1891 he returned to this state and settled in Harrison county, where he secured a small farm. He gradually added to his original holdings until he owned three hundred and two acres in Cass township. It was in 1903 that he disposed of his farm holdings and went to make his home in Woodbine. In addition to the house in which he lives, he owns ten acres of land in Boyer township. Mr. BROWN was unmarried when he enlisted in the army, early in the great civil struggle, and was a member of Company I, Twenty-sixth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He enlisted on August 3, 1862, at Wheatland and lacked but twenty days of completing his three years of service. He served under General Sherman and saw active service at the battles of Arkansas Post, Vicksburg and many other skirmishes. He is a member of Eaton Post No. 186, Grand Army of the Republic, and Mrs. BROWN is quite prominent in the work of the Woman's Relief Corps. Both are faithful members of the Presbyterian church and Mr. BROWN has been a life-long Republican. He has had an active life, full of duties and cares, and has always endeavored to discharge all responsibilities to the best of his ability. He has a wide acquaintance and is held in high regard by a large circle of friends.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 732, 733, 734 Family Researcher: NA
Edward W. BRYCESON - The BRYCESON family have been residents of Harrison county, Iowa, for many years. Edward W. BRYCESON has been a life-long farmer and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits in Jackson township since 1900. Mr. BRYCESON has had a very interesting career and has probably lived in as many different states as any other man in the county. Locating here permanently on his present farm he has devoted himself entirely to stock raising and general farming and with a success which speaks well for his efforts.
Edward W. BRYCESON was born June 25, 1852, near the city of Mobile, in the state of Alabama. His father was born in England and his mother in Scotland. They came to America and landed in New Orleans, and were married in that city. They had become acquainted before coming to America and the father came first and established a home before he sent for the girl who afterwards became his wife. From New Orleans his parents, Thomas J. and Mary (SHINER) BRYCESON, moved to Alabama and located near Mobile, where they lived during the Civil War. During the war the family moved near Arcola, Illinois, where they lived for five years. While living there they adopted the Mormon religion and went west with the Mormons to Salt Lake City, Utah. They lived there only a short time, and becoming dissatisfied they returned east and located in Monona county, Iowa, where they took up a homestead claim and lived there about six years after getting their deed from the government. They then moved down into Harrison county and located in the Soldier valley, near the present town of Pisgah. The father still makes his home on this farm, the mother being deceased.
Edward W. BRYCESON lived with his parents until he was married. He then lived in various places until 1900, when he located permanently on the old home farm in Harrison county. He has engaged in general farming and stock raising, and the success which has attended his efforts indicates that he has applied himself with industry.
Mr. BRYCESON has been twice married. He was first married to May MEAD, and to this union one son was born, Allen E., who is now married and lives north of his father's farm. He has three children, James, Nellie M. and Harrison. Mr. BRYCESON was later married to Josephine SEELY, a daughter of Horace SEELY, of Correctionville, Iowa, and to this union four children have been born, Welbur LeRoy, Myrtle V., Theodore J. and Luella May, all of whom are still living with their parents. Mr. BRYCESON and his family are members of the Seventh-Day Adventist church. He and his wife are members of the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. He is a Democrat, but is not a partisan, believing that in supporting the best man for office he is best conserving the interests of his community. He has never been a candidate for public office, preferring to devote all of his time and attention to agricultural pursuits.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 730, 731 Family Researcher: NA
E. R. CADWELL - A lawyer by profession and a broad-minded and capable citizen of Harrison county, who at various times has filled many of the different local city offices, Mr. CADWELL has made his presence felt in every laudable undertaking of his locality as a public-spirited citizen interested in whatever tends to promote the material progress of the community and the social and moral advancement of his fellow men, his influence having been salutary and his example worthy of imitation.
E. R. CADWELL was born near Racine, Wisconsin, August 21, 1850, the eldest child of C. C. CADWELL and Emily E. (ROSS) CADWELL, who located shortly after their marriage in 1848 near Racine, Wisconsin, where they remained until 1857, at which time they went in a covered wagon to Buchanan county, Iowa, living on a farm two miles west of Independence, the nearest point to a railroad at this time being thirty-five miles. They resided there until 1890, after which time they made their home with their children at different places. They were the parents of five children, all of whom are still living.
As a boy E. R. CADWELL had small advantages in school, but his parents both having been school teachers he acquired much good instruction from them. When sixteen years of age he went to Vermont and made his home with his uncle, Jonathan ROSS, judge of the supreme court of that state for twenty-five years, and who later was appointed to succeed the late Senator MORRELL, serving the balance of the latter's term as United States senator. Mr. CADWELL was graduated from the St. Johnsbury Academy and entered Dartmouth College in 1871. He remained there only one year, returning to his former home in Iowa, where he began the study of law, teaching school part of the time. In August, 1874, he located at Magnolia, Harrison county, Iowa, having purchased the office and practice of Hon. J. R. ZUVER, who had become district judge. Soon after the firm of HART, CADWELL & DAVIS was formed, having offices at Magnolia and Logan, the partnership continuing until the removal of the county seat to Logan in 1875. Shortly before the removal Mr. CADWELL had purchased the office of clerk of the district court and was the acting clerk for over two years. In the spring of 1877 he became associated with his uncle, Phineas CADWELL, in a bank at Logan, remaining there two years, at the end of which time he severed his connection with the bank and removed to Dunlap where he entered into a partnership with J. A. PHILLIPS in the practice of law.
In 1884 Mr. CADWELL removed to Council Bluffs, having been made general agent for the New York Life Insurance Company. For about ten years he devoted his time to the insurance business, residing at different places in his field. In 1891 he formed a partnership with F. G. RUST at Glidden and resumed his law practice, remaining there eight years. In 1899 he returned to Dunlap and renewed his partnership with J. A. PHILLIPS. After the death of Mr. PHILLIPS in 1906 Mr. CADWELL continued in practice until 1913, in which year his son, C. C. CADWELL, joined with him in business, taking up insurance and real estate.
In 1875, while at Magnolia, E. R. CADWELL became acquainted with Margaret BACON, who was visiting her uncle, Captain G. S. BACON, and in the following June they were married at her home in the state of New York. To this union have been born four children, Florence, who married L. B. WRIGHT, C. C. CADWELL, George B. and an infant girl, deceased.
Mr. CADWELL always has taken an unusual degree of interest in the welfare of the different communities in which he has resided, taking an active part in any movement which would be of benefit to the citizens. The family is held in high esteem and is regarded as one of the representative families in all social and religious matters. Mr. CADWELL and his wife for many years have been active members and workers in the Congregational church. Politically Mr. CADWELL is a stalwart Republican, being regarded as one of the most influential members of that party in this section of the state.
Mr. CADWELL is a man of genial temperament and makes friends readily, his relations with his acquaintances being of the most congenial character. He is well known not only throughout Harrison county, where he enjoys a well deserved popularity, but has a large acquaintance in many parts of the state. As a lawyer he would be classed as an attorney or counsellor, not having fitted himself for the actual trial of cases, but enjoying an extensive practice in probate and real estate law.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 746, 747, 748 Family Researcher: NA
Frederick H. CADWELL - One of the earliest families to locate in Harrison county, Iowa, was the CADWELL family, the father of Frederick Henry CADWELL having located here in 1854. At that time very little of the county was settled, and the homes were few and far between. Mr. CADWELL's father became a large landowner and influential citizen, and was a prominent factor in the history of the county for half a century. Mr. CADWELL has devoted his whole life to farming, with a measure of success which speaks well for his ability and good management. He has been prominent in the civic affairs of his township and has held various official positions, his services in this connection having given entire satisfaction to his fellow citizens.
Frederick Henry CADWELL, the son of Phineas and Harriett (FISKE) CADWELL, was born on December 8, 1860, in Magnolia township, Harrison county, Iowa. Five children were born to his parents, all of whom are still living, with the exception of one daughter. William, the railroad agent at Michigan Valley, Kansas; Edgar, a farmer of Jefferson township; Frederick H., of Magnolia township; Mrs. Hattie T. TYLER, whose husband is an abstractor and loan agent at Logan, and Mrs. Katherine E. MASSIE; deceased.
Phineas CADWELL was born in Madison county, New York, in 1824, a son of Smith and Sallie CADWELL. The CADWELLs are of Scottish descent, and Phineas CADWELL was able to trace his ancestry back for nine generations. He moved from Madison county, New York, to Wisconsin, where he lived on a farm for twelve years. In 1854 he came with his wife and two children, aged six and two respectively, to Harrison, county, Iowa. He drove an ox team overland from Wisconsin to this county, and seven weeks were required to make the trip. As soon as he arrived in this county he bought virgin land in Magnolia township and began breaking up the land with oxen. He built a log cabin, in which the family lived for the first five years. In order to get a start with chickens he went, in 1855, to his nearest neighbor, seven miles away, to buy a half dozen eggs, which were all his neighbor could spare. On January 1, 1856, a wedding occurred in his log cabin, one of the first in the county. The bride and bridegroom were Hannah WYATT and Frank ADAMS. After the ceremony was over the party noted, to their surprise, a drove of seventeen deer within one hundred yards of the cabin. Undoubtedly the deer had come near the house in search of something to eat, and their presence certainly was a welcome sight to the pioneers. It is needless to state that the family feasted on venison for several days thereafter.
Phineas CADWELL became the owner of six hundred and forty acres of land in the county. In 1771 he was elected a representative on the Republican ticket to the state Legislature of Iowa. He served as county supervisor and president of the Harrison County Agricultural Society for twenty years. In 1894 he moved to Coffey county, Kansas, where he farmed for a few years. He suffered a stroke of paralysis while in that state and returned to Harrison county, where his death occurred on February 26, 1904. He was a member of the church of the Latter-day Saints and was greatly interested in the welfare of this church. His wife, who also was a native of Madison county, New York, her birth having occurred there in 1824, was a member of the Baptist church. She kept a complete diary of the happenings of the vicinity in the early days. She died in 1891.
Frederick Henry CADWELL was reared on the farm where he is now living. He attended the public schools of Magnolia township and later was a student in the high school at Logan. He took charge of the home place when he was twenty years of age, and when he was married his father gave him some land and he has since added to this until he now owns two hundred and forty acres of well-improved land on which he has placed many improvements. He has been very successful in stock raising and has been an extensive breeder of full-blooded Red-Polled cattle, annually feeding from four to eight carloads.
Mr. CADWELL has been twice married, his first marriage occurring on March 15, 1882, on which date he was married to Magdalene ALECK, who was born in Cass township, this county, in 1861, a daughter of Xavier and Christena (GEIGER) ALECK. Her parents were natives of Germany and came to Harrison county in 1856, locating on a farm where they lived the remainder of their lives. The first wife of Mr. CADWELL died in 1902, leaving one child, Mrs. Carrie MCKENNY, whose husband is a farmer in Boyer township. In 1906 Mr. CADWELL married, secondly, Maud WALKER, who was born in 1869, in Magnolia township, this county, a daughter of Frank and Candace (HOPKINS) WALKER, native of Indiana, the latter of whom is deceased, and the former of whom is now making his home with his daughter, Mrs. CADWELL. There are no children to this second marriage.
The Republican party claims the hearty support of Mr. CADWELL, and he has been one of the local leaders of the party for many years. He has served as trustee of Magnolia township, and for a number of years was a justice of the peace. He and his wife are attendants of the Presbyterian church, while fraternally, he holds membership in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. CADWELL takes an earnest interest in the various activities of the community in which he resides and has been secretary of the Magnolia Creamery Company, since the organization of that company nineteen years ago.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 720, 721, 722 Family Researcher: NA