If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Stephen A. MYERS & Freeley W. MYERS - The MYERS family has been identified with the history of Harrison county, Iowa, since 1869, in which year the father of Stephen A. MYERS first located in the county. Mr. MYERS is a worthy scion of his father and has engaged in general farming and stock raising in such a manner as to stamp him as one of the most progressive farmers of the county. The MYERS family has been very active in every phase of the history of the county for many years, and the father of Stephen A. was for a long time one of the most influential men of his community.
Stephen A. MYERS, the son of Freeley W. and Marguerite E. (GARNER) MYERS, was born on August 10, 1888, in Taylor township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents were natives of Adams county, Pennsylvania, and Pottawattamie county, Iowa, respectively. His father was born on June 7, 1845, and his mother on December 8, 1852.
Freeley W. MYERS came to Harrison county, Iowa, in 1869. He had been a soldier in the Civil War, serving in Company A, Two Hundred and Ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He served three years and took part in many of the hardest-fought battles of that memorable struggle, among them being Shiloh, Appamattox Court House, Fort Steadman, and the battles which were fought by Grant in the summer of 1864, and up to the fall of Richmond in the spring of 1865. Although Freeley W. MYERS located in Harrison county in 1869, he only remained here about thirteen months. He then went to the Black Hills of South Dakota on a six-months' prospecting trip. He finally decided to return to Harrison county and locate permanently. He bought two hundred acres of land in section 13 of Taylor township, and added to this until at the time of his death he owned five hundred and four acres in Taylor township in one tract; three hundred and fifty-four acres in one tract in Raglan and Taylor townships, and four hundred and eighty acres in North Dakota. He continued in active farming pursuits until 1897, when he moved to Missouri Valley, where he resided until 1900. In that year he moved back to the farm, where he lived until 1902. He was justice of the peace in Taylor township for many years and held other offices. He was president of the Farmers' Alliance when it was first organized in this county. In politics he was a strong advocate of everything which he felt would make for better government, and did not hesitate to vote for the best men regardless of party affiliations.
There were five children born to Freeley W. MYERS and wife: Carlos U.; Henry A.; twins who died in infancy, and Stephen A. Carlos U. first married Lola COULTHARD, who died leaving her husband with two children, Lola and Lalla. Lola, the older child, was accidentally shot when she was six years old. After his first wife's death Carlos U. MYERS married Eva DIXON, and to this union eight children have been born, six of whom are living, Cora, Vera, Carlos, Theodora, Leora and Henry. Henry A., the second son of Mr. and Mrs. Freeley MYRES, was killed in a runaway when he was twenty-three years of age.
Stephen A. MYERS was given a good education in the schools of his home neighborhood. He was the youngest of the family and lived on the old home farm until his marriage, when he began farming for himself. He now lives on the old home farm and follows in the footsteps of his father in general farming and stock raising. He feeds cattle and two hundred head of hogs each year for the market. He also raises a considerable number of cattle. His mother is still living in Missouri Valley.
Mr. MYERS was married on August 10, 1909, to Mattie E. HAYWARD, who was born in Pottawattamie county, Iowa, a daughter of John H. and Alice (FLECK) HAYWARD, natives of Missouri and Iowa, respectively.
Fraternally, Mr. MYERS is a member of the Tribe of Ben-Hur at Missouri Valley. In politics he is progressive and supports the best man, feeling that in so doing he is best serving the interests of good government. Mr. MYERS is still a young man on the threshhold of life, and the success which has followed his efforts thus far indicates that he will one day be one of the most substantial farmers of the county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 728, 729, 730 Family Researcher: NA
Charles W. ODEN - The late Charles W. ODEN was one of the pioneer settlers in Harrison county, Iowa, locating in this county immediately after the Civil War. He was a prominent man in the history of this county for many years, during which time he took an active part in Republican politics. He was secretary of the Harrison County Fair Association for nearly a score of years and during his active life was always interested in farming. He was a man of sterling character and high ideals, and was universally regarded as one of the most useful members of the community in which he resided for nearly half a century.
Charles W. ODEN was born in Ohio, March 24, 1832, a son of Charles and Hannah (BETTS) ODEN, and died at his home in Harrison county, Iowa, February 13, 1913. His father was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and his mother died when he was about six years of age. Later his Grandmother BETTS came to take care of the family until his father married again. Charles ODEN, Sr., was a well-educated man, having been graduated from two or three schools and colleges. He worked as an accountant for several years in the east and in 1857, came to Newton, Jasper county, Iowa, where he lived for a year with his father, who had preceded him and owned and operated a hotel in Newton.
In 1858 Charles W. ODEN located in Shelby county, Iowa, and helped to lay out the present town of Harlan. He remained there until 1862, when he enlisted for service in the Union army in Company C, Twenty-ninth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He served in this company as clerk at one time and was finally made quartermaster sergeant. The last year he was made quartermaster of his regiment with the rank of first lieutenant. Immediately after the close of the war Mr. ODEN located in Magnolia, Harrison county, Iowa, where he lived for six months, during which time he bought forty acres in Little Sioux township, just across the river from Little Sioux. He lived on this farm the rest of his life, at the time of his death being the owner of one hundred and thirty-three acres.
In his younger years Mr. ODEN had been a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was a Republican and was deeply interested in the welfare of his party. For twenty years he was actively identified with the Harrison County Fair Association as its secretary, and much of the success of this association was due to his untiring efforts in its behalf. He was a clerk in the MURRY store in Little Sioux from 1874 until 1890, and while in the store had charge of all the banking business of the town until a bank finally was started.
On September 4, 1862, Charles W. ODEN was united in marriage with Hannah J. RANDALL, who was born in Ohio, January 30, 1843, a daughter of David H. and Achsah (APPLETON) RANDALL, natives of Brooks county, Pennsylvania, of Quaker stock. In September, 1848, the parents of Mrs. ODEN located in Clayton county, Iowa, where they lived until 1859. In that year they moved to Harlan, Shelby county Iowa, where her father operated a small store for several years. During the latter part of his life he kept a boarding house and was engaged in this latter business when his death occurred in 1891.
To Charles W. and Hannah J. (RANDALL) ODEN were born four children, all of whom are still living, Achsah, Salome, Xenophon and Charles L. Achsah, who was born October 7, 1866, married Charles MCWILLIAMS, and now lives in Sioux City, Iowa. She has one son, Calvin O. Salome, born July 29, 1868, lives with her uncle in Oklahoma during the winter seasons, and with her mother during the summer. Xenophon, born April 17, 1871, and Charles L., born January 4, 1875, are now farming the old home place in partnership. Xenophon is unmarried. Charles L. married Carrie MURRAY, who was born in Monona county, Iowa, September 30, 1878.
The two sons are progressive farmers and have had charge of the old home place since their father's death. They are both Republicans, but have never aspired to public offices. Charles L. is a member of the Knights of Pythias, while Xenophon is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The family are highly esteemed throughout the community where they have lived for so many years, and have many warm friends who admire them for their many good qualities of head and heart.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 722, 723, 724 Family Researcher: NA
Edward F. OGDEN - An enterprising merchant of Orson, Harrison county, Iowa, is Edward F. OGDEN, who has been a resident of this county since 1871. He worked on a farm until he was grown and then located in Mondamin in a general store. Since that time he has been engaged in the mercantile business in this county continuously with the exception of seven years, which he spent in the office of county treasurer. He now has the largest store in Orson and one of the best general stores in the county.
Edward F. OGDEN, the son of Z. S. and Helen (KEMP) OGDEN, was born in Glens Falls, New York, December 29, 1858. His parents were natives of New York and England, respectively, his mother coming to the United States with her parents when a small girl. His father was a carriage maker in New York and followed that occupation until his death.
Edward F. OGDEN received his common-school education in Glens Falls, New York, and when he was thirteen years of age left home and came to Harrison county, Iowa, locating in Mondamin. He worked on farms in the vicinity of that village until he was twenty years of age and then went to work in a general store in Mondamin for Z. T. NOYES, remaining with him for eight years, and then engaged in business with David GAMET in a general store, the firm being known as GAMET & OGDEN. This partnership continued for ten years, at which time the firm disposed of the store and Mr. OGDEN spent the next few months as manager of the grain elevator belonging to J. H. HAMILTON in Mondamin.
In 1901 Mr. OGDEN was elected treasurer of Harrison county on the Republican ticket, and was re-elected twice to this office, serving altogether seven years. After leaving the treasurer's office he bought an interest in the general store of W. A. SMITH, at Modale, in this county, the firm being known as E. F. OGDEN & Company. He remained in Modale for two years, and in 1911 bought out the general store of A. F. FITTSIMONS, at Orson, and has since been in business in that place. The store building was originally a church, and he has remodeled it and made it a very convenient building for his business. He has installed a large refrigerating plant and made other improvements in order to care for his constantly increasing trade.
Mr. OGDEN was married March 1, 1885, to Kate RUFFCORN, who is a native of Harrison county, a daughter of Clark and Jane (NOYES) RUFFCORN. Her parents were born in Ohio and located in Harrison county in 1856, being among the very first settlers in the county. Mr. Ogden and his wife have two children, Rex and Helen J. Rex was born March 1, 1886, and now lives in Orson. He married Josie RHODFER, and owns a one-third interest in his father's store. Helen J. was born August 7, 1895, and after she was graduated from the Logan high school became a student at Ames College, where she is now taking a course in domestic science.
Mr. OGDEN is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons at Logan, and he and his wife are members of the Order of Eastern Star. He also is a member of the Woodmen of the World. Mrs. OGDEN and her daughter are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 731, 732 Family Researcher: NA
Oscar A. PARKS - The drainage system which has been installed in Harrison county, Iowa, has reclaimed thousands of acres of useless land. Owing to its proximity to the Missouri river the county is very low and swampy in many parts, and is not tillable until well drained. One of the farmers of Little Sioux township, which borders the Missouri river, who has been greatly benefited by the Soldier ditch, is Oscar A. PARKS. Before coming to this county Mr. PARKS lived in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska. He started in after coming to this county by working out by the month, and it was not until several years later that he was able to buy a farm. He now owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, on which he is raising excellent crops and making a comfortable living for himself and family.
Oscar A. PARKS, the son of Joseph and Mary E. (PROCUNIER) PARKS, was born March 17, 1867, in Illinois. His parents, who were both natives of Ohio, moved from Illinois to Woodbury county, Iowa, in 1874, when he was about seven years old. They lived in the eastern part of the county and had to drive over fifty miles in order to get to Sioux City, where they paid their taxes and did their trading. It took a whole day and part of a night to make the trip one way.
The mother of Oscar A. PARKS died when he was a small boy and he then stayed at home and helped to take care of the rest of the children, he being the oldest of eight. When he was nineteen years old he started out to work for himself and worked on the railroad and also did teaming. He worked in Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska, and on September 5, 1888, came to Little Sioux township, Harrison county, Iowa, where he has since made his home. He drove into the county in a covered wagon, having camped out on the road on his way to the county. He worked out by the month for a time and then rented land for several years. On August 15, 1899, he bought one hundred and sixty acres, eighty acres being in Little Sioux township and eighty acres in Jackson township. There were few improvements on the farm when he bought it and it was low and wet. However, within recent years the Soldier ditch has been dug and now runs about fifteen rods from his farm and affords excellent drainage for all of his land. Since then he has been raising fine crops and has had the satisfaction of seeing his farm yield him much more satisfactory returns.
Mr. PARKS was married May 5, 1892, to Mary E. CROM, who was born near Magnolia, in this county, a daughter of W. S. and Mary M. (REEDER) CROM, the former of whom was a native of Ohio and one of the early pioneers of this county, of which her mother was a native, she having been born near REEDER's Mills, her father, Thomas REEDER, having been one of the very earliest settlers of Harrison county. W. S. CROM was brought from Ohio by his parents to Harrison county when he was but two years of age, the family locating one and one-half miles north of Magnolia. At the time the CROMs came to this county they were compelled to go to Council Bluffs in order to get their groceries and do their other trading, that being the nearest trading point. To Oscar A. and Mary E. (CROM) PARKS two daughters have been born, Lois A., born April 6, 1896, and Cecile A., born September 12, 1897. These daughters are both receiving careful training in music and are preparing themselves for a musical career.
Mr. PARKS and his family are loyal members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He gives his support to the Republican party, but has always preferred to devote his time and attention to his agricultural interests rather than to engage in political affairs. Mr. PARKS and his family are highly esteemed in the community where they live and have a host of friends and acquaintances.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 692, 693 Family Researcher: NA
Daniel C. REEL & John Allen REEL - It is proper to judge of a man's life by the estimation in which he is held by his fellow citizens. They know him as he really is, not only in his relations with his fellow men, but also what sort of man he is in his home, in his church and about his daily affairs and are, therefore, competent to judge what manner of man he is. When the stamp of approval is placed on a man by the friends among whom he has resided for many years, it properly may be stated that he is worthy of all the honor and respect accorded him. Such may be said to be the lot of Daniel C. REEL, subject of this short biographical sketch. Mr. REEL has passed his entire life in St. Johns township, Harrison county, Iowa, having first seen the light of day on the old REEL homestead in section 28, where he now has his home. He was born on April 17, 1874, a son of John Allen and Amanda REEL, both of whom were born and reared in Putnam county, Indiana. John A. REEL was born in Reelsville in that county, which town had received its name from members of his family, and he and his wife were joined in wedlock in their native state before starting in 1852 on the long overland journey which ended in this county. After reaching Harrison county, John A. REEL secured a tract of land on which he made his home for a time, this being the exact spot on which the stock yards of Missouri Valley are now located. He was a miller and for some time operated the mill owned by Uncle Henry REEL at Logan, this county. Later he secured from Frank WEATHERLY the tract of land where his son, Daniel C., now lives, which at that time had been but little improved. After moving there he put the best efforts possible into its improvement and resided there the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1910, at the age of seventy-six years. His wife had died two years previous, when seventy-three years old. John Allen REEL was a man who kept abreast of the times and was instrumental in introducing into this section many implements and practices much better known in other sections. He had the first threshing machine in his neighborhood and was kept extremely busy during the season making his rounds. He was a stanch Republican and a member of the Baptist church and was a man well known throughout the county, counting his warm friends by the scores. To him and his good wife were born eleven children, as follow: The eldest living is Mrs. Sarah MATTOX, of St. Johns township; the second daughter, Caroline, is dead; John H. is a farmer near Loveland; Henry M. is a farmer of Pottawattamie county; Dorcas, the first child of the family, is dead, as is also Martha; Mary JONES resides in Missouri Valley and William L. farms in Pottawattamie county; George Dow is a farmer, of Crayton, Nebraska, and the youngest of the family; Florence A. (Mrs. MEADOWS), lives in Silver City, this state. The immediate subject of this sketch is next to the youngest in order of birth.
When a boy, Daniel C. REEL attended the old Willow Creek school house, making the best of such educational advantages as it afforded at that time, and remained with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age, at which time, on January 13, 1897, he was united in marriage with Nora A. JONES, a native of Pottawattamie county, and a daughter of Allen S. and Eliza (FLETCHER) JONES, retired farmers residing at Missouri Valley. Directly after marriage, Mr. and Mrs. REEL located on the W. E. JONES's place in section 30 of St. Johns township, purchasing forty acres thereof. They remained there two years, at the end of which time they moved to a forty-acre tract in Cincinnati township, this county. There they remained but a comparatively short time, for in 1908 Mr. REEL bought the old REEL homestead of one hundred and twenty acres, where the family has since resided. He has been winning success in his undertaking and in 1913 erected his splendid two-story, nine-room house, besides making many other valuable improvements on the place. His farm is in an excellent state of cultivation and he succeeds well with his crops of grain. He also gives a goodly portion of his time and attention to his live stock, having a splendid strain of Poland China hogs. He also breeds road horses and many good animals have come from his stables.
While his own affairs have been such as entirely to engross a less liberal-minded man, Mr. REEL has made a place in his scheme of affairs for some service to the community at large. He is a stanch Republican and has served as school director of his township for six years, also having charge of all road work for four years. Before going to St. Johns township, he also had held office in Cincinnati township, and has always taken a keen interest in anything that had for its object the betterment of the community in any line. His religious fellowship is held with the Christian church of Missouri Valley and in its affairs he takes a warm interest. He gives all he possibly can of both time and money in this direction and is at present serving his congregation as elder. His fraternal affiliation is held with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows through the local lodge at Missouri Valley. Mr. REEL is a man who is wide awake to the questions of the hour and well posted on all matters, particularly such as pertain to his chosen vocation. He is said to possess most excellent judgment in business matters, which coupled with his energy and ambition has doubtless brought him the gratifying degree of success which is his. He is a most agreeable man to meet and readily makes friends, whom he is able to retain because of his genuine worth. Mrs. REEL also is warmly liked by all who know her and their home is a center from which genuine hospitality radiates, attracting friend and the casual stranger alike. They are the parents of three children: Fletcher, Lois and Harry, all of whom are at home with the parents. Fletcher, seventeen years of age, and Lois, fourteen, are attending high school in Missouri Valley. Harry is twelve years of age.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 690, 691 Family Researcher: NA
William REMINGTON & Delbert REMINGTON - A prominent real estate, loan and insurance firm at Mondamin is composed of William and Delbert REMINGTON, both of whom have been residents of Harrison county more than thirty-five years. Their parents were early settlers of this county and their father was a substantial farmer for more than thirty years. The brothers were educated in this county and are now engaged in a general real estate, loan and insurance business, which they established in the spring of 1913.
William and Delbert REMINGTON are the sons and only children of Martin L. and Katie (RATLEDGE) REMINGTON. William was born November 18, 1871, in Martin county, Minnesota, and Delbert M. was born May 26, 1878, in Raglan township, Harrison county, Iowa. Their parents were natives of New York and Ohio, respectively. Martin L. REMINGTON went with his parents from New York to Wisconsin, where he lived until he reached his majority. He then went to Minnesota to work as a farm hand. Katie RATLEDGE went with her parents from Ohio to Indiana when a small girl, and a few years later went to Minnesota, where her parents entered a homestead. Martin L. REMINGTON and Katie RATLEDGE were married in Minnesota and at once took a homestead in Martin county, where they lived several years. Finally, after losing three crops in succession as a result of the grasshopper plague, they left the state, traded their house for a horse and started for Kansas. While on the trip to that state their horse was bitten by a snake and died. The family finally reached the home of an uncle of Mr. REMINGTON on Steer creek, in Harrison county, Iowa, and the family liked the country so well that Mr. REMINGTON bought a farm near Echo in Raglan township, where he lived for thirty-four years. He then retired and moved to Mondamin, where he is now living. His wife, Katie RATLEDGE, was working in New Ulm, Minnesota, at the time the Sioux Indians were on the war path. She had three brothers in the Union army during the Civil War and at the same time her father and another brother were fighting the Indians in Minnesota. Her father's homestead was near Fairmount, Martin county, Minnesota.
The REMINGTON brothers were educated in the common schools of Raglan township. They lived on the farm and worked together until 1902. In that year William moved to Mondamin and engaged in the real estate business with his cousin, H. A. COX, under the firm name of COX & REMINGTON. This partnership continued for two years, and then William bought out the interests of Mr. COX and managed the business alone for six years. In 1908 Delbert came to Mondamin and also started in the real estate business continuing alone until April 1, 1913, when the two brothers formed their present partnership. Their operations extend over Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, South Dakota, Missouri and Canada. They own farm land in Missouri and Canada and also in Iowa and Nebraska, renting the same to responsible tenants.
William REMINGTON was married March 21, 1893, to Annie L. EDWARDS, a daughter of Edward and Laura EDWARDS, and a native of Wales, whose mother died when she was a small girl. In 1884 her father, three brothers and herself came to the United States and located in Iowa City, Iowa, later moving to Harrison county. One brother and one sister remained in the old home in Wales. To William and Annie L. (EDWARDS) REMINGTON have been born four children, three of whom are living, Martin E., Ivor Bryan and William Harley. Stanley, the second child, died when he was four months old.
Delbert REMINGTON married Elsie ADAMS, who was born in Oswego county, New York, a daughter of Lee S. and Ada (DEMING) ADAMS. Her parents were born in New York state and came to Harrison county about 1894. To Delbert and Elsie (ADAMS) REMINGTON have been born three children, Martin Lee, born in 1906, Frances Ada, born in 1908, and Katie Bernice, born in 1911.
The brothers are Democratic in politics, as is their father, but neither has aspired to public office, both preferring to devote all of their time and attention to their business interests. Their father was trustee of Raglan township for four years. Both of the brothers are members of the Modern Woodmen of America, and Delbert is a member of the Woodmen of the World, Royal Neighbors and Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The brothers and their families are supporters of the Christian church.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 715, 716, 717 Family Researcher: NA
Frank W. SCHWERTLEY - One of the largest land owners of Harrison county, Iowa, is Frank W. SCHWERTLEY, who was born in this county before the Civil War, and has spent his whole life within its limits. Before reaching his majority Mr. SCHWERTLEY taught school for a time, as did his wife. Since then he has engaged in general farming and stock raising and now owns eleven hundred and sixty acres of the best land in the county.
Frank W. SCHWERTLEY, the son of Frederick and Salome (BRECHT) SCHWERTLEY, was born on April 8, 1858, in Magnolia, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents were natives of Wurtemburg and Baden, Germany, respectively, and came to the United States early in the fifties, first locating in Wheeling, West Virginia. Frederick SCHWERTLEY soon found employment with the United States government, driving mail stages, and was afterward transferred to routes farther west, until finally he was given a route running between Council Bluffs and Calhoun, Iowa. Calhoun, by the way, was the first postoffice to be located within the limits of the present Harrison county. After his marriage, his wife induced him to give up driving stage, and he then took up teaming in this county. In 1859 he started for Pike's Peak to look for gold but only got as far as Kearney, Nebraska, when he decided to return home. In 1860 Frederick SCHWERTLEY bought one hundred and sixty acres in section 10, of Taylor township, this county. He proved to be a very successful farmer and at the time of his death owned between sixteen hundred and seventeen hundred acres of land in Harrison county.
Frank W. SCHWERTLEY was the eldest of eleven children born to his parents. He received such education as was provided by the district schools of his boyhood days and when he was twenty years of age began to teach school in Taylor township, this county. He taught one year in his own county and in 1879 went to Nebraska, where he taught one year. However, he decided to forsake the school room for the independent career of the farmer. He rented land from his father for three years and then bought one hundred and twenty acres in section 24, of Clay township. He lived there seven years, at the end of which time he traded that for part of the old home farm lying in section 17, of Taylor township. On this farm he lived for fourteen years, and then bought his present home in Taylor townsnip. He has added to this farm from time to time until his present holdings of eleven hundred sixty acres make him one of the three largest landowners in the county. He adopts modern methods in all his work and uses a large traction engine for plowing and doing various other kinds of work on the farm. He owns his own threshing outfit and has every kind of modern machinery which the twentieth-century farmer could possibly use. He uses a large Cole automobile for visiting his various farms and keeping in close touch with the work from season to season. Mr. SCHWERTLEY is one of the most extensive stock raisers in the county, making a specialty of Poland-China hogs, and has excellent registered hogs of this particular breed.
Mr. SCHWERTLEY has been twice married. He was first married to Elizabeth O'CONNOR, who died leaving eight children, Salome, who married Lester BRATTON; Frederick, a graduate of Creighton Medical College, who is now intern in the St. Joseph hospital at Omaha; John H., a graduate of the civil engineering department of Ames College; Leo, a graduate of Creighton high school, and four, William S., Paul, Cyril and Desmus, who are still at home.
After the death of his first wife, Mr. SCHWERTLEY married, secondly, June 6, 1911, Sadie GILMORE, who was born in Harrison county, a daughter of A. J. and Sarah (MCKENNA) GILMORE. Her father was county supervisor at one time and prominent in the history of the county in many different ways. There are no children by this second marriage.
Mr. SCHWERTLEY and his family are all members of the Catholic church, and he is a member of the Knights of Columbus. Mr. SCHWERTLEY is a Democrat, but has never taken a prominent part in political affairs, owing to the fact that he has such extensive farming interests. Mr. SCHWERTLEY is one of the representative men of his community, and it is eminently fitting that his life history be recorded in this volume.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 704, 705, 706 Family Researcher: NA
Fred A. SCHWERTLEY - Poets often tell the truth. The old song which contains the refrain, "The farmer feeds them all," states a very fundamental and economic truth. Without the farmer the rest of the country would starve within a week, despite the large amount of food in cold storage. Every occupation might be done away with but farming and people still would live, but a total cessation of farming for a short time would actually depopulate the whole world. A man can live without banks all his life, but deprive him of his bread and his career soon ends. Farming is becoming an honored profession. Our district schools are teaching it as a science, and our colleges are granting degrees for agricultural courses. The farmers of any community sustain the people dependent upon other professions. Without the farmer the banker would close his doors; the manufacturer would shut down his factory, and the railroads would cease to run their trains. Among the honored farmers of Calhoun township, Harrison county, Iowa, is Fred A. SCHWERTLEY, who is one of those men who helps to keep the banker, the manufacturer and the railroads going.
Fred A. SCHWERTLEY was born on March 11, 1867, in Taylor township, Harrison county, Iowa. He is a son of Frederick and Salome (BRECHT) SCHWERTLEY, who were the parents of eleven children, seven of whom are living.
Frederick SCHWERTLEY was born in 1828 in Wurtemburg, Germany, and was reared on a farm in his native land. When about twenty-five years of age he left Germany and emigrated to America, arriving in Harrison county, Iowa, about 1856. He drove a stage line in the early days out of the old town of Calhoun, Iowa, for about a year, after which he bought land in Taylor township, and farmed this tract for about ten years. He then sold out and purchased another farm. Frederick SCHWERTLEY became an extensive landowner in Harrison county. He lived on his farm until his death, which occurred in 1901. His wife was born in 1832, at Baden, Germany. She is now living with a daughter, Mrs. Frances DOUGHERTY, in Omaha, Nebraska.
Fred A. SCHWERTLEY, the subject of this sketch, has lived on a farm all his life. He received a common-school education and, at the time of his father's death, purchased the old home place. Mr. SCHWERTLEY now owns eleven hundred acres of the very best Missouri Valley bottom land, including about fifteen acres of natural timber. Mr. SCHWERTLEY has made extensive improvements upon his large agricultural holdings, and is an extensive feeder of live stock, usually shipping three or four carloads of cattle each season, and has always kept a high grade of stock. Mr. SCHWERTLEY is not only a progressive farmer, but he is a successful business man, and is now president of the Missouri Valley Savings Bank, in which he is a large stockholder.
Mr. SCHWERTLEY was married in 1902, to Elizabeth TOVEY, who was born in Magnolia township, Harrison county, Iowa, a daughter of William and Anna (O'CONNOR) TOVEY. Her parents were of Irish descent, and were early settlers in Iowa. To Mr. and Mrs. SCHWERTLEY five children have been born, Margaret E., Donald F., Dwight A., Robert B., and Mary L., all of whom are living at home with their parents.
Mr. SCHWERTLEY is a Democrat and has held several township offices. He is now treasurer of the school board and has been township assessor. Mr. SCHWERTLEY is a man of wide influence in local politics, whose advice is sought on all occasions.
Mr. and Mrs. SCHWERTLEY and family are members of the Catholic church, and Mr. SCHWERTLEY is a member of the Knights of Columbus of Missouri Valley, prominent and influential in the affairs of this organization. Fred A. SCHWERTLEY is not only a representative farmer and stockman of Harrison county, but he is justly entitled to rank as one of the representative farmers of the state of Iowa. His success in life is due not only to his splendid managerial and executive abilities, but likewise to his honorable and upright character.
Source: 1915 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 736, 737 Family Researcher: NA