If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Frank J. KING - A successful and enterprising farmer of Harrison county, Iowa, is Frank J. KING, the owner of three hundred acres of excellent land in Morgan, Raglan and Little Sioux townships. He is one of the most extensive hog raisers in the county, and in all of his agricultural operations has met with unusual success. Coming to this county in 1883 with his parents he has since made it his home and with a success which speaks well for his ability and industry.
Frank J. KING, the son of Addis and Lucretia (SAFFELL) KING, was born August 19, 1870, in Hancock county, Ohio. His parents were both natives of the same state and lived there until after their marriage. In 1883 the family came to Harrison county, Iowa, and bought land in Little Sioux and Morgan townships.
Frank J. KING is the oldest of five children born to his parents. He was thirteen years of age when his parents came to this county and consequently received part of his education in Ohio. He completed it in this county and remained at home until he was married, at the age of twenty-three. He at once bought one hundred and seven acres of land where he is now living, and to this he has added from time to time until he now has three hundred acres of land. The farm had few improvements on it when he acquired it, but he has improved it in every way. He has built a fine modern home with gas lights, hot and cold water and every convenience which the present day affords. While engaging in general farming and stock raising he has been particularly interested in the raising of hogs and now has one of the largest droves of hogs in the county. He usually has about two hundred head of hogs on the farm the year round.
Mr. KING was married August 22, 1893, to Belle SILSBY, who was born April 15, 1873, in Harrison county, a daughter of Milton and Abigail (CLIFFORD) SILSBY, natives of Vermont and New York, respectively. The SILSBYs came to Harrison county about 1868. Mr. SILSBY was a soldier in the Civil War and the father of ten children.
To Frank J. and Belle (SILSBY) KING have been born six children, Vera, born January 20, 1895; Cloyce, born April 7, 1896; Dean J., born March 20, 1899; Lawrence, born March 1, 1905; Helen, born November 7, 1906 and Kenneth. D., born October 19, 1910. Vera is a student in Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa, where she is studying music. Cloyes was educated in the home schools and later was a student in the Woodbine Normal School. He is now bookkeeper in the First National Bank at Woodbine. The other four children are still at home with their parents, and all but the youngest are in school.
Mr. KING is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. Vera is a member of the Daughters of Rebekah. Mr. KING gives his hearty support to the Republican party and has always taken an intelligent interest in its policies. He has served as trustee in his home township and for the past fifteen years has served on the school board. The family are loyal supporters of the Methodist Episcopal church and are interested in its various activities. Mr. KING and his family are highly esteemed in the community where they live and have many friends who rejoice with them in their prosperity.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 749, 750 Family Researcher: NA
Judge Stephen KING - Among the characters that ever will shine out from among the pioneer band in Harrison county, that of Hon. Stephen KING, the first county judge of the county, merits particular mention here. Judge KING was a native of New York state, born in 1821, one in a family of ten children. He came to Harrison county in 1852 and located, first, in section 18, township 79, range 41, in what is now Cass township. He was a successful farmer for many years, removing to Jefferson township, locating in section 9, where at one time he owned four hundred acres. In 1886 he moved into Logan, selling his farm in 1888, after which he retired from active labor.
Besides holding the office of county judge, Judge KING also was county superintendent of schools, being elected in 1863. In 1855 he was elected as county treasurer and recorder, those offices then being combined. At the general election in 1863 he was elected as representative to the Iowa Legislature from his district. He was a stanch Methodist and also belonged to the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities. At an early day Judge KING was foremost in trying to secure a railroad through this section of the country. It was Judge KING who delivered the first Fourth-of-July oration in Harrison county. He was twice married, first to Frances L. MARSH, by whom were born Samuel I., Alva, Reuben, Clara M., Minnie and William. For his second wife he married, in 1896, Mrs. Hannah ADAMS, who survived him many years. Judge KING died in 1898, a manly man, with whom no one ever found serious fault, for his character was beyond reproach.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 687, 688 Family Researcher: NA
William KLEEB - One of the good citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, who has throughout his life endeavored to fill his place in the world and his community in a good and proper manner is he whose name forms the caption of this article. William KLEEB, residing near Woodbine in Boyer township, is one of the well-respected men of his vicinity, who by right principles and close application to the duty nearest at hand has won for himself a pleasing degree of material success and a high regard in the estimation of those who know him. He is the eldest son of John and Barbara (SPAHR) KLEEB, both natives of Switzerland, who immediately after their marriage emigrated to this country and settled in Wisconsin, where the immediate subject of this sketch was born. After a few years spent in Wisconsin, they came to this state and located in Fayette county, where they remained but a short time and finally purchased a home in Shelby county, where they passed the remainder of their lives engaged in farming, and where both lie buried. They were the parents of a family of eleven children, all of whom are still living, which is noteworthy in that it is rather exceptional in so large a family of mature ages.
William KLEEB was born May 16, 1851, and when a youth attended the schools near his home in both Fayette and Shelby counties and during his spare time assisted the father in operating the home farm. After his school days were over he gave his entire attention to farming, which has been his life vocation and to which he has given many years of hard work. For many years he has resided in Harrison county and his farm of one hundred and twenty acres is one of the good farms of Boyer township. He gives his attention to general farming as conducted in this section of the country.
Mr. KLEEB was married in 1879 to Julia WHEELER, daughter of Monroe and Mary E. (WASHBURN) WHEELER; both of whom were natives of Maine and settled in Wisconsin when they came to the west. To Mr. and Mrs. KLEEB have been born six children, Arthur, Blanche, Harry, Gladys, Flossie and Carl.
Mr. KLEEB is a member of the Presbyterian church and orders his life in accordance with its teachings. His fraternal affiliation is with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows through the local lodge at Woodbine. He is a Democrat and has always taken a keen interest in his party's affairs. While a resident of Shelby county, he served as justice of the peace and is one of those sterling characters who at all times bears in mind the best interests of his community in every particular. Mr. KLEEB is a man who has lived quietly and has given his best energies to the furtherance of his own interests, remembering always his obligations as a citizen of this great commonwealth, and of such a man it is unnecessary to add that he is respected by all who know him.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 595, 596 Family Researcher: NA
Henry D. LEWIS - It is probable that no farmer in Harrison county has met with a greater measure of success than Henry D. LEWIS, of Morgan township. Starting out for himself when he was nineteen years of age as a day laborer, he first bought a small tract of land in Morgan township, and to this has added from time to time until he now owns five hundred and sixty acres of the best farming land in Harrison county, as well as three hundred and sixty acres in Oklahoma. His career is a wonderful example of perseverance, industry and good management and should be an incentive to greater effort on the part of the coming generations of Harrison county. As a farmer and stock raiser he stands foremost in his county, while as a progressive citizen in all that the word implies he is truly one of the representative men of his county.
Henry D. LEWIS, the son and only child of Henry DeLoss (better known as DeLoss) and Frances (KIDDER) LEWIS, was born May 15, 1862, in Otsego county, New York. His parents were natives of New York and London, England, respectively. His mother came to the United States when about fourteen years of age with her father, John KIDDER. Henry DeLoss LEWIS, Sr., was a farmer in his native state of New York and he and his wife lived all their days in that state.
Henry D. LEWIS left New York state when he was nineteen years of age, both of his parents having previously died, and came to Iowa. He worked by the month on the farms in this state, and also did carpenter work and other odd jobs. In fact, he was willing to work at anything which would return him a fair compensation for his labor. When only twenty-two years of age he married and at once bought a small tract of twenty acres in Morgan township, and here he and his young wife started in to make a home, and well have they succeeded. The successive years have found them more prosperous and today they can look back over a period of over thirty years during which they have lived and worked together. The success which has attended Mr. LEWIS's efforts has been purchased at the cost of hard work and is well merited. On his fine farm of five hundred and sixty acres in Morgan township he raised registered Red Polled cattle and King Albert corn. He is the only farmer in the county to make a specialty of this particular variety of corn, and in 1912 he sold over two thousand bushels for seed, sending it to all parts of the United States. Mr. LEWIS has one of the finest country homes in the county and everything about his place indicates that he is a man of thrift and taste.
On October 13, 1884, Mr. LEWIS was married to Clara L. PUGSLEY, who was born in Ohio, the daughter of Oscar and Lydia A. (NOYES) PUGSLEY, and to this union have been born four children, Oscar D., Marion Lee, Frances Lydia and Cecily Irene. Oscar married Bessie JOHNSON and has three children, Clarice Elvina, Marion Fred and Malvin Oscar. The other three children are still living with their parents.
Mr. LEWIS has been a strong supporter of the Republican party for many years, and for twenty years has been clerk of Morgan township. His long tenure indicates the esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, holding membership in the latter lodge at Council Bluffs. Mr. LEWIS was one of the organizers of the encampment at Mondamin, and was the first chief patriarch of the lodge. As a leader in public-spirited movements Mr. LEWIS is always at the forefront and never fails to lend his hearty support to such measures as he believes will advance the general welfare of the locality where he resides. As he rides around the county now in his fine automobile he can easily recall days when he tramped over the same roads looking for work, and it must be a source of much satisfaction to him to feel that his efforts have been attended with such flattering success.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 725, 726 Family Researcher: NA
John W. MANN - A successful merchant of Mondamin, Harrison county, Iowa, is John W. MANN, who has been engaged in the mercantile business in Mondamin for the past three years. He previously had been engaged in farming in Monona county, Iowa, and Harrison county, as well as in Kit Carson county, Colorado. He also was a salesman for the BAKER Medicine Company before engaging in the mercantile business in Mondamin.
John W. MANN, the son of Richard O. and Martha (OLIVER) MANN, was born December 8, 1878, in Monona county, Iowa, seven miles southeast of Onawa. His parents were natives of Utah and Illinois, respectively, both of whom had located in Monona county in their childhood days.
Richard O. MANN was a son of Richard MANN, a native of Vermont. Richard MANN, Sr., came west with Brigham YOUNG and the Mormons and located in Utah, but when Richard O. MANN was an infant returned east and located in Monona county. In 1904 Richard O. MANN moved to Harrison county, but has since moved to Pottawattamie county, where he is now living.
John W. MANN is the eldest of eight children born to his parents. He was educated in the schools of Monona county, Iowa, and worked at home until he reached his majority. He then married and rented land near his father's farm and lived in Monona county for two years after his marriage. He then moved to Harrison county and rented a farm for five years in Little Sioux township. In 1906 he went to Kit Carson county, Colorado, and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land. In addition he purchased another one hundred and sixty acres and remained in that state for two years. By that time he had proved his claim on his homestead and he sold his half section and returned to Harrison county and bought a farm three and one-half miles southwest of Mondamin, on which he lived for two years. He then rented his farm and moved to Logan, where he was engaged as salesman for the BAKER Medicine Company for two years. He then bought out the G. L. GAMMETT general store in Mondamin, with which he has since been connected. He has shown marked business ability since taking charge of the store and already has built up a good trade in Mondamin and the surrounding country.
Mr. MANN was married December 27, 1899, to Florence DUGDALE, who was born in England June 6, 1879, and is a daughter of Fred and Susan (VOSS) DUGDALE, farmers in England. The family came to America in 1895, a few months after the death of the father. Mr. and Mrs. DUGDALE were the parents of eleven children. Mr. MANN and his wife have two children, Viola, born October 30, 1901, and Clarence, born September 2, 1905.
The family are active workers in the church of the Latter-Day Saints in Mondamin and are interested in all of its activities. Mr. MANN is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World. He is a Republican in politics and is a man highly esteemed in his community because of his sterling qualities of character, his many friends rejoicing in the prosperity which has come to him as the result of his own efforts.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 724, 725 Family Researcher: NA
M. T. MCEVOY - A substantial citizen of Mondamin, Iowa, is M. T. MCEVOY, who is now cashier of the bank at Mondamin. As a young man, he graduated in pharmacy and worked as a drug clerk for a time. He then became interested in the general mercantile business until 1902, since which time he has been connected with the bank at Mondamin. He is a man of excellent business ability and is thoroughly acquainted with all the different phases of
banking. He has taken an active part in the civic life of Mondamin, and for many years has served his city in various official capacities.
M. T. MCEVOY, the son of Edmond and Mary (KELLY) MCEVOY, was born December 21, 1873, in Harrison County, Iowa. His parents were both born near Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and were early settlers in LaGrange township, Harrison County, Iowa. The family located here about 1870 and Edmond MCEVOY farmed in the county until about 1888. His wife died in 1885 and three years later, he remarried and moved with the children who were still at home to Adair County, where they lived on a farm until his death in 1907.
M. T. MCEVOY is one of nine children born to his parents. He remained at home until he was of age, though he had previously been a student at the Northern Indiana Normal University at Valparaiso, Indiana. He was graduated from the pharmaceutical course of that institution in the spring of 1896. After leaving college he worked in a drug store in Adair for a year and a half and then went into business for himself in that city, remaining there until 1900. In that year, he sold his drug store in Adair and moved back to Harrison County and located in Mondamin. He engaged in the general merchandise business with H. P. MORROW, under the firm name of MORROW & MCEVOY. This partnership continued until 1902, at which time Mr. MCEVOY sold his interests in the general store to Mr. MORROW and went into the Mondamin Bank as assistant cashier. A year and a half later, he became cashier of the bank, and when it was reorganized in April 1912, he retained his position. Previous to this reorganization, it had been a private bank, but when it was reorganized its capital stock was increased to thirty-five thousand dollars, most of which was sold to residents in the immediate vicinity of Mondamin. Mr. MCEVOY is the largest stockholder in the bank. In addition to his banking interests, Mr. MCEVOY is an extensive landowner and has farms in Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri and Canada.
Mr. MCEVOY was married in April 1890 to Elizabeth S. MORROW, who was born in Harrison County, Iowa, a daughter of H. P. and Rose (FERGUSON) MORROW. Her father was a native of Canada, of Irish descent, and was an early settler in Harrison County, as were the Ferguson family. To M. T. and Elizabeth S. (MORROW) MCEVOY, were born seven children, all of whom are still living with their parents: Patricia, Hugh, Helen, Kathryn, Francis, Agnes and Marguerite. The family are active workers in the Catholic Church and Mr. MCEVOY is a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus. He is an active worker in the Democratic party and has served as mayor of Mondamin for three terms. He has also been on the town council and the school board and is at present the clerk of the township. While on the school board, he in association with Professor COLLINGSWORTH, was instrumental in having the Morgan township and Mondamin schools consolidated, thereby making the Mondamin school one of the best in the county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 527, 528 Family Researcher: NA
Thomas MCFARLANE, M.D. - One of the interesting citizens of Mondamin, Harrison county, Iowa, is Dr. Thomas MCFARLANE, who has been a resident of this county since 1878, and a practicing physician in Mondamin since 1881. He enlisted for service in the Civil War and served with distinction for three years in that terrible struggle. Doctor MCFARLANE is one of the best-read men in the county and has one of the most valuable libraries to be found in this section of the state. He is interested in the life of his community and is the kind of a citizen of whom any community should be proud.
Dr. Thomas MCFARLANE was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, January 14, 1844, a son of John and Mary A. (MULHOLLAND) MCFARLANE, natives of Scotland and Ohio respectively. His father was graduated from the medical department of Trinity College, in Dublin, Ireland, and soon after came to the United States and located in Washington, Ohio.
Dr. Thomas MCFARLANE was a small boy when his parents moved to Portage City, Wisconsin, and there he received his elementary education. He enlisted in the Civil War, March 12, 1862, as a member of Company A, Second Wisconsin Infantry, and served in the Army of the Potomac. At the battle of Antietam he was wounded in the arm and discharged from the service on account of disability. On August 22, 1864, he again enlisted in the First Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, but did not see any active service during the remainder of his time at the front. Owing to his knowledge of drugs he was soon taken from the heavy artillery and put into the pharmaceutical department of the hospital at Fort Willard and remained in the hospital until the close of the war, receiving his discharge July 5, 1865.
After the close of the war, Doctor MCFARLANE attended the normal school at Normal, Illinois, and then entered Rush Medical College, at Chicago. He was in attendance there for two years and then went to the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, and was graduated in the class of 1876. He began the practice of his profession in Yates City, Illinois, but two years later went to Wichita, Kansas, where he practiced for one year. His next location was at a point seventy-five miles southwest of Wichita, near the Indian Territory line, and there he helped found the town of Anthony. He was largely instrumental in making this town the county seat of Harper county, but when a railroad constructed through that section of the state went through another town eight miles away, the embryonic county seat of Anthony was soon but a memory. In 1878 Doctor MCFARLANE came to Harrison county, Iowa, and at first began to teach school in Cincinnati township. After one year's service in the school room in this township he taught school for the two succeeding years in Little Sioux, while at the same time he practiced medicine with Doctors WALLACE and SILSBY.
In 1881 Doctor MCFARLANE located at Mondamin, where he has since continued to reside. He bought out the Williams drug store and established himself in the drug business, while at the same time he continued the practice of his profession. Later on he took on a line of hardware and bought and sold live stock, grain, etc. Two years later, however, he lost all of his worldly possessions by a destructive fire and he then decided to confine himself solely to his practice from that time. He has built up a large practice in Mondamin and vicinity, and is one of the oldest practicing physicians in this section of the state.
Doctor MCFARLANE was married in 1881 to Phoebe SILSBY, a sister of Doctor SILSBY. Her death occurred in 1884, and on September 16, 1888, Doctor MCFARLANE married, secondly, Sadie L. LOGAN, a daughter of T. M. C. and Hattie LOGAN. To this second union were born two children, Rex and Joy. Rex married Gertrude CLIFFTON and has one daughter, Helen. Joy is still making her home with her parents.
Doctor MCFARLANE has been a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Brotherhood of American Yeomen. He is a stanch Democrat and has twice been elected coroner of Harrison county. Mention already has been made of the extensive library of Doctor MCFARLANE, and he is never happier than when seated in his library surrounded by his cherished books. He keeps his library strictly up to date and has one of the most valuable private libraries in the state.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 707, 708, 709 Family Researcher: NA
Elvin E. MCFERRIN - It is gratifying to note that an increasingly large number of young men with college educations are devoting themselves to the field of agriculture. Elvin E. MCFERRIN has a splendid college education and is now one of the most extensive as well as one of the most progressive farmers of Harrison county. He first came to this county in 1903 and bought a farm and has since been engaged in general farming and stock raising. He is one of the largest stock raisers of the county and has been unusually successful along this particular line of endeavor. At the same time he has been prominent in the civic life of his community and has held various official positions with credit to himself and general satisfaction to his fellow citizens.
Elvin E. MCFERRIN, the son of W. A. and Caroline (INMAN) MCFERRIN, was born November 8, 1875, in Marion county, Indiana. His parents were natives of Tennessee and Indiana, respectively. The MCFERRINs moved to Indiana before the Civil War and W. A. MCFERRIN was a member of Company D, Eightieth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry during the war.
Elvin E. MCFERRIN was the youngest of nine children born to his parents, four of whom are living. When he was two years of age the family left Indiana and located in Page county, Iowa, and in that county he made his home until he came to Harrison county in 1903. After graduating from the common schools he became a student in Amity College, and later attended Simpson College for two years, and was graduated from the liberal arts course in that institution with the class of 1898. He then spent two and one-half years in Drake University, from which he was graduated in 1901, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. He was at once admitted to the bar, but decided that he would rather engage in farming than in the legal profession.
With this in view, Mr. MCFERRIN came to Harrison county in 1903 after his marriage and bought a part of the Job ROSS estate one mile west of Modale, and also bought a farm of three hundred and twenty acres five miles west of Modale, making a total of six hundred and twenty acres. He is an extensive raiser of hogs and cattle and markets about two hundred head of hogs and one hundred and seventy-five head of cattle every year. He makes his home with his wife's mother in Modale, but gives his special attention to his extensive land holdings and various business interests. His wife's mother has one of the finest homes in Modale, located just north of the school building.
Mr. MCFERRIN was married February 11, 1903, to Nettie ROSS, who was born in Modale, Harrison county, Iowa, and is a daughter of Job and Jennie (ROBINSON) ROSS. Mr. and Mrs. MCFERRIN have four children, Elga, born June 5, 1904; Leone, born March 22, 1906; Ross, born January 5, 1912, and Edwin Elvin, born November 23, 1913.
The family are all loyal supporters of the Christian church. Mr. MCFERRIN is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and has been a stanch Republican since reaching his majority. He has served as trustee of his township and also on the council of Modale. In addition he has held various minor positions, and in every capacity has proved faithful to the trust reposed in him by his fellow citizens. Mr. MCFERRIN was a participant in various activities while in college and while in Drake University played end on the football team. He is still an enthusiastic supporter of college athletics and never fails to attend football games when it is possible for him to do so. Mr. MCFERRIN is now in the prime of life and is one of the valuable citizens of the community where he has chosen to make his home.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 712, 713, 714 Family Researcher: NA