If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Dr. Perry G. INGERSOLL - The man who devotes his talents and energies to the noble work of ministering to the ills and alleviating the sufferings of humanity, is pursuing a calling which in dignity, importance and beneficent results is second to no other. If true to his profession and earnest in his efforts to enlarge his sphere of usefulness, the physician is indeed a benefactor of his kind, for to him more than to any other man are entrusted the safety, the comfort and in many instances the lives of those who place themselves under his care and who profit by his services. Dr. Perry G. INGERSOLL, the immediate subject of this sketch, stands in the front rank of Harrison county's professional men, having been engaged in his calling here for the past ten years, during which time he has not only gained an enviable reputation as a skilled and careful physician, but he has also established a sound reputation for up-rightness of character in all the relations of life.
Perry Grant INGERSOLL was born in Toledo, this state, on September 16, 1883, the son of George W. and Maggie (BAUGHMAN) INGERSOLL, the former a native of Ohio, the latter born in Germany and brought to this country by her parents while still a little girl. The BAUGHMANs settled in Ohio, where the daughter grew to womanhood and was married. Soon after their marriage, George W. INGERSOLL and wife came to this state, locating first at Tama and later going to Toledo. During all the active years of his life, George INGERSOLL has followed carpentry as a trade and is still engaged in this work. He is a veteran of the Civil War.
George W. INGERSOLL enlisted in the Seventeenth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in 1861 and was discharged in 1865, with the rank of sergeant in the Army of the Cumberland, the Third Division and Fourteenth Army Corps. During his service he engaged in twenty main battles and many minor ones. He was wounded at the charge of Missionary Ridge and was taken prisoner near Tullahoma, Tennessee. He returned to his regiment one day before the battle and surrender of Tullahoma. During his four years' service he was never absent when his regiment was on march or engaged in a battle.
Dr. Perry G. INGERSOLL is one of a family of four children, the others being Addie, Emmett and Paul B. Doctor INGERSOLL received his elementary education in the common schools of his native town of Toledo. He received higher training at Western College at Toledo and studied medicine at the Iowa State University, from which institution he was graduated in 1905 and began the practice of his chosen profession in September of that year, having decided upon Dunlap as the future field of his activities.
On December 27, 1905, Doctor INGERSOLL was united in marriage with Elsa Martha DUNHAM, the daughter of Abner and Sophronia (BOYTON) DUNHAM, and to this union have been born two children, Donald George and Margaret Elaine. Mrs. INGERSOLL's parents were early settlers of Delaware county, this state, the father being a veteran of the Civil War.
Abner DUNHAM was born in Laporte county, Indiana, August 20, 1841, and died at his home in Manchester, Iowa, December 30, 1910. He settled near Manchester, Iowa, with his parents in 1855 and engaged in farming. A part of his education was obtained in Manchester. In September, 1861, he enlisted as a private in the Union army and on November 25, 1861, was mustered into the United States service as a corporal of Company E, Twelfth Iowa Infantry. He was promoted to sergeant of his company, January 5, 1864, and was commissioned as first lieutenant April 20, of that year and was mustered as such May 23, 1865. He was mustered out January 20, 1866. Abner DUNHAM participated in the campaign against Fort Henry, in the capture of Fort Donelson, and in the battle of Shiloh, Tennessee, April 6, 1862. Here he was captured and sent to Libby prison and was not exchanged until December 1, 1862. His regiment was reorganized in January, 1863, and he was assigned to General Grant's army before the siege of Vicksburg, April 10, 1863. He was in the siege of Vicksburg until June 22, 1863, when he removed to Bear creek to watch Johnson. He was in the Brownsville expedition in October, 1863, and in action at the mouth of White river, Arkansas, June 22, 1864. During 1864 he served in the campaign against Price and in the battle of Nashville, Tennessee, December 15, 1864. He participated in the siege and capture of Fort Blakeley, resulting in the surrender of Mobile. His regiment marched from Fort Blakeley to Montgomery, Alabama, where the announcement was made that the Confederate army had surrendered. Abner DUNHAM so enjoyed the confidence of the public that he was twice elected sheriff and for several terms served as recorder of Delaware county, the county that had been his home for so long.
Doctor INGERSOLL and wife are considered among the representative citizens of this community and allow no opportunity for doing good to their fellowmen to pass unheeded. He is a man who appreciates keenly his civic responsibilities, and since becoming a citizen of Dunlap has done all within his power to elevate conditions and the general tone of the community. He is at present serving his town as health officer in a manner most efficient and satisfactory to all.
Doctor INGERSOLL is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, in the work of which order he has figured quite prominently. He is a past chancellor, having filled all the chairs in the local organization and holds a committeeship in the grand lodge Knights of Pythias. His religious affiliation is with the Methodist Episcopal church, and his consistent manner of living indicates the sincerity of his faith. He is a warm supporter of the principles of the Republican party and is at all times an advocate of wholesome, practical living.
Doctor INGERSOLL stands admittedly in the front rank of Harrison county's professional men, possessing a thoroughly disciplined mind and keeping in close touch with the trend of modern thought relating to the noble calling to which his life and energies are devoted. He has ever maintained his high standing, never descending beneath the dignity of his profession nor compromising his usefulness by countenancing any but noble and legitimate practice. As may be inferred, Doctor INGERSOLL possesses a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, by whom he is held in high esteem.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 662, 663, 664 Family Researcher: NA
William A. JENKINS - A member of a family which has long been well known in Harrison county, and whose ancestors came to America at an early day in its history, is William A. JENKINS, a thoroughly modern and strictly up-to-date farmer of St. Johns township. Mr. JENKINS applies intelligence to the agricultural problems which confront him, with very creditable results.
The birthplace of Mr. JENKINS was St. Johns township, Harrison county, and the date was January 23, 1859. He is the son of John and Martha (SMITH) JENKINS, who were natives, respectively, of Indiana and Tennessee, and who came to Harrison county in 1855, preempting forty acres of land in St. Johns township. John JENKINS died December 24, 1859. He was the father of four children, two of whom, Frances Lucinda and William A. are living, and two of whom, Israel and August, are dead.
The JENKINSes are of Irish and English descent, the family having been implanted in America at an early day. The SMITHs were of Dutch and Irish ancestry, and in Mr. JENKINS are combined many of the excellent and distinctive traits of his ancestors.
Of John JENKINS's four children, William was the youngest. William obtained only a limited education, and when he was nine years of age he, with his mother, step-father, and two half-sisters, went south to Missouri, where they lived for a year or a little longer. Then they went to Kansas, where they lived for one and one-half years, then returned to Harrison county. All of this traveling was done in covered wagons.
Upon returning to Harrison county the family located on the farm in St. Johns township on which the subject of this sketch now lives; the old home place having been sold before their departure. After locating on the St. Johns township farm, a small house, sixteen by sixteen feet in proportions, was built and was used for eight years. Later the house was enlarged and remodeled and was occupied until 1893, when a nine-room house was built.
Mr. JENKINS owns one hundred and sixty acres in Harrison county and forty acres in Pottawattamie county, all of which land is well improved. Mr. JENKINS does general farming and stock raising, annually feeding about eighty head of hogs.
Mr. JENKINS's mother, who now makes her home with him, is one of the oldest residents of Harrison county. When she first came to the county there were but three other families living on the local "bottoms," the nearest neighbors living at Missouri Valley, and the nearest postoffice was Council Bluffs.
On March 17, 1878, Mr. JENKINS was married to Millie E. SKELTON, who was born June 10, 1862, the daughter of Isaac and Jane (BRANSON) SKELTON, natives of Indiana, who came to Iowa and located in Harrison county when Jane was but one and one-half years of age. They were of English descent. Isaac SKELTON and his wife, who were the parents of eleven children, are both dead, the former dying December 25, 1902, the latter November 4, 1914. For twenty-nine years, Isaac SKELTON was a Primitive Baptist minister.
The union of Mr. JENKINS and Millie SKELTON was blessed with twelve children, of whom eight are living, as follows: Clara F. married Hardin SKELTON, to which union have been born four children, Daily L., Melvin A., Glen A., and Ray E.; Eva E. married Simon P. CURTIS and they have one child, Elizabeth J.; Della May married Isaac R. HATCHER and has three children, Pearl M., Catherine E. and Leonard A.; William Everett married Olive ALLEN and they have one child, Lyle Doyle; Martha J., Sarah E., Lucy Arzella, and Cecil I. all live at home.
Mr. JENKINS is one of the local standard bearers in the Democratic party and has been a school director for sixteen years. He and his family are members of the Predestinarian Baptist church. A leader in agricultural and civic affairs, Mr. JENKINS is a distinct addition to the citizenry bf Harrison county, and has taken a prominent part in maintaining the proud position which his community holds in the state.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 580, 581, 582 Family Researcher: NA
Charles G. JESSUP - Dependent very largely upon his own resources from his youth, Charles G. JESSUP, of Dunlap, furniture dealer and funeral director, has attained no insignificant success, and though he may have, like most men of affairs, encountered obstacles and met with reverses, he has pressed steadily forward, ever willing to work for the end he has in view. His tenacity and fortitude are due, no doubt, in a large measure to the worthy traits inherited from his sterling ancestors, whose high ideals and correct principles he has ever sought to perpetuate in all the relations of life. By a straight-forward and honorable course he has made his way to a respectable position in business world, winning the trust and confidence of the people with whom his lot is cast.
Charles G. JESSUP is a native of the state of Iowa, born near the town of Sigourney on July 9, 1870, a son of John and Sarah (MURDOCK) JESSUP, the former a Hoosier by birth and the latter coming from Pennsylvania. When quite young, the father was brought to this state by his parents who settled in Keokuk county, and in that district he grew to manhood. Mr. JESSUP's mother also was brought to Keokuk county by her parents when she was small, and the two families were friends for many years. After marriage, Mr. JESSUP's parents remained in the same county all their lives, the father giving his attention to agriculture, and they are now passing their declining years in comfortable retirement in the city of Sigourney. They were the parents of six children, of whom Harley (deceased) was the eldest. Charles G. was the second child in order of birth and then followed Ida, who is the wife of A. M. ASHCROFT, an attorney of Boston, Massachusetts. Anna May is the wife of D. C. PARKHILL, a farmer living near Sioux City, and Frank E., the youngest son, is also engaged in the same vocation and at the same place. One other son, Elmer, is dead.
Charles G. JESSUP received his elementary school training in the common schools of Keokuk county, later attending the high school at Sigourney. After finishing his high school days, he entered a printing shop with the intention of mastering the business, and remained in this connection for twelve years, being located at Sigourney and Dunlap. However, after the twelve years spent in the printing trade, he decided there were sufficient reasons for him entering other fields, and he went to Marcus, this state, where, for six years, he was engaged in the mercantile business. In 1903 he returned to Dunlap and became associated with his father-in-law, Martin BARRETT, Sr., in the furniture, queensware and undertaking business. In 1907 Mr. JESSUP took over the entire business and for a year handled it alone, at the end of which time his brother-in-law, P. F. BARRETT, became associated with him and the firm then became known as the JESSUP & BARRETT Company, and has so continued since that time. Mr. JESSUP possesses excellent business ability and the firm is one of the best of its kind in the community. He has made a study of embalming and is a regularly licensed undertaker, his license being No. 1,279 under the laws of the state of Iowa.
On December 14, 1898, Mr. JESSUP was united in marriage with Helen A. BARRETT, daughter of Martin and Anne (HART) BARRETT, the former a native of Ireland, and the latter a Canadian by birth. Upon coming to America Martin BARRETT first settled in the state of Indiana, but later came to Clinton county, this state, where he was married and soon after marriage came to Harrison county where he passed the remainder of his life, his death occurring January 23, 1915. Mrs. BARRETT is still living in quiet retirement at Dunlap, this county.
To Martin and Anne (HART) BARRETT were born eleven children, the following being alive: William H., the eldest, is a druggist located at Mallard, this state. Michael L., is an attorney at Logan, Iowa; Helen A. is the wife of Mr. JESSUP; P. F. is associated in business with Mr. Jessup, as heretofore stated; Martin J. is located at Hamburg, this state; Marie is the wife of P. D. MCMAHON and resides at San Diego, California, while John F., a dentist, is located at Chicago.
Mr. JESSUP's fraternal affiliation is held with the Knights of Columbus and he was one of the charter members of the local Organization at Dunlap, and also served as the first financial secretary of that body. He is a communicant of the Catholic church and is aligned with the Republican party. Mr. JESSUP is a man of quiet and unassuming disposition, though genial and friendly in his relations with others, and he enjoys a wide acquaintance and large prestige throughout this district.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 612, 613, 614 Family Researcher: NA
William M. JONES - The attention of the reader is now directed to a short sketch of the career of William M. JONES, proprietor of "Oak Hill Farm" in St. Johns township, Harrison county, Iowa, who has not only won an enviable reputation as one of the successful farmers of this thriving section, but who is also widely known as minister of the Primitive Baptist church of Loveland, this county. Mr. JONES is in every respect a self-made man and successful not only in material affairs, but in the better things of life also. In fulfilling his duties to society he ever has been regardful of others and during his residence in this part of the state has acted as administrator of eighteen different estates in Harrison and Pottawattamie counties, all of which have been settled without the intervention of the courts in the way of suits at law, and also has been appointed guardian in the cases of nine minor children, final and satisfactory reports on all of which save two, now under his guardianship, have been made.
William M. JONES is a native of the Hoosier state, born on November 14, 1852, in Greene county, Indiana, about five miles from the town of Linton. He is a son of William M. (senior), whose father was Allan JONES who emigrated to this country from Wales and whose wife, whom he married in Wales, was a Miss SMITH. Allan first located in Indiana and in 1855 the entire family emigrated to this state, settling in Appanoose county, where Allan died. By consulting the sketch of J. Ellis JONES, found elsewhere within this volume, the reader may gain further information regarding the JONES family.
William M., the immediate subject of this sketch, was but three years of age when brought to this state and here the balance of his life has been passed. When a small lad he attended the primitive schools of his district, the school building being a crude log affair and the seats of puncheon, but in spite of many drawbacks, he was attentive to his books and received on his plastic child mind a good foundation for the greater educational structure which he himself reared in later years. He remained under the parental roof until his twenty-third year and on October 3, 1875, he was united in marriage with Tabitha Jane DEAL, of St. Johns township, this county, a daughter of James C. and Hannah (CASE) DEAL, both natives of Indiana, the former of whom was born in Putnam county and the latter in Greene county. In 1852, a few years after their marriage, the DEALS came to this county, settling in the township above mentioned, and there they passed the remainder of their lives. James C. DEAL entered a tract of land in section 24 and owned at one time one hundred and forty acres. In his early life he mastered the miller's art, but after coming to this state he gave his entire time and attention to agricultural labors. He was born January 16, 1824, and died May 4, 1909, and his wife, who died November 4, 1897, was born August 20, 1827. They were united in marriage on February 22, 1846, and became the parents of eleven children, namely: Isaac, their firstborn, born March 17, 1847, died in November of 1902; Sarah is the widow of Thomas ACREA of Logan, Iowa, and was born November 2, 1848; John W., the third child, was born July 30, 1851, and is a farmer in St. Johns township, this county; Timothy N., born May 27, 1855, is located at Schrag, Washington; Tabitha Jane, wife of the immediate subject of this sketch, was born on October 22, 1857; Hannah B., wife of P. C. WOOS; of Sumner, Nebraska, was born on October 20, 1859; Asenith J., born February 25, 1867, is the wife of J. Ellis JONES of this county; James J., born December 1, 1864, is located at Council Bluffs, where he is a cement contractor; Martha A., born March 28, 1867, is the wife of Theodore JONES, of Aledo, Oklahoma; Eli F., born on December 28, 1867, is a farmer in the same state, located at Arapaho, and J. Harvey, the youngest of this interesting family, was born on June 25, 1872, and is located at Missouri Valley, this county.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. JONES located in LaGrange township, this county, on Honey creek and remained there until 1877, when they came to St. Johns township and settled about one-half mile east of where their present home is located. They secured one hundred and sixty acres of wild land and set about reclaiming the broad and fertile acres from the grasp of the wilderness. They succeeded well in their undertaking and disposed of it in 1889, moving at that time to a location northwest of Loveland. There they remained for four years, when they sold their possessions and moved to Nobles Lake, this state, where they purchased a tract of land containing one hundred and seventy acres, but remained there only two years, at the end of which time they disposed of their property there and returned to St. Johns township, where they bought a tract of three hundred acres in section 25, known as the Robert MCGAVREN place, which has since been their home. Mr. JONES has, however, sold off and divided his original holdings there until he has at the present time but one hundred and seventy acres, which is given over to general farming and stock raising. Since taking possession of the place, he has remodeled the house and made many other extensive improvements, until the farm stands today as one of the best throughout this section. Ten years ago Mr. JONES retired from the active duties of farming, and has since given his time and energies to the discharge of his duties as a minister of the Gospel.
Mr. and Mrs. JONES have two sons, the eldest being Elzie E., who was born December 29, 1876, and who has been twice married. His first wife was Minnie HOUSE, who bore him two children, Stella M. and Frederic C. Elzie E. chose as his second wife Mary CLARK, who also is the mother of two children, Margaret Ann and Elzie J. Elzie E. attended the schools of his home district when a boy, remained at home with his father and assisted in the work of the farm. While still quite a young man he mastered the blacksmith trade and in the spring of 1914 he took up his residence in Missouri Valley and is interested in a garage where he has won for himself the reputation of being a very fine machinist. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is also a Yeoman and a Homesteader, while both himself and wife are members of the Daughters of Rebekah.
Bernard Captain, the younger son, was born on September 18, 1883, and was educated in the schools of the home district and later attended school at Woodbine. He married Maude HOWARD and they are the parents of five children, Blanche, Dwight, Verle, Hazel and Alice Lucille. Bernard has always been a farmer and in addition to his own farm of eighty acres, he manages his father's place.
William M. JONES is a Democrat, but of late years has not had much time for political matters. At one time he served as trustee of St. Johns township and took an active part in public matters generally. He is a man who is held in high regard by a large circle of friends and acquaintances to all of whom he stands as a type of true and consistent manhood.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 592, 593, 594, 595 Family Researcher: NA
James E. KEMMISH & Charles KEMMISH - The debt which Harrison county, Iowa, owes to the citizens of English birth or descent is one which the present historian hardly is competent to estimate. That it is heavy, however, is not open to question and upon the future historian of this section will fall the duty of footing up in a way the obligation which the generation of that time owes to those early residents of the pioneer breed who, leaving Albion's shores, put in their lot with the empire builders of this favored section. In making up such an estimate it is undoubted that the name of KEMMISH will come very near the top of the long list of English-born settlers who have aided so largely in the settlement and development of the county and whose influence ever had been exerted in all good ways for the betterment of the civic, moral and social life of the several communities in which their lines were cast.
James E. KEMMISH, president of the Persia Savings Bank at Persia, Harrison county, and one of the most influential citizens of this whole region, was born in Portsmouth, England, January 16, 1850, the son of Charles and Elizabeth (WILKE) KEMMISH, both natives of England and members of old families therein. To the union of Charles and Elizabeth (WILKE) KEMMISH were born ten children, four of whom are still living, as follow: Mrs. Elizabeth MOON, who resides in Idaho; Mrs. Jane LEWIS, who resides in Salt Lake City, Utah; James E., the immediate subject of this biographical narrative, and Daniel, who is living a life of retired comfort and ease at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Charles KEMMISH, about the year 1852, decided, after mature deliberation and a careful weighing of the pros and cons, based upon all he had heard and read of the opportunities which awaited the man of diligence in the new country across the Atlantic, to come to America. Bringing his family with him, he immigrated from the crowded babel of London to seek a new location in this country. Attracted by the possibilities which seemed to be offered in such profusion in the then far west, he went to Salt Lake City, Utah, where for several years he followed the vocation to which he had been devoted in his home city, that of basket maker. Becoming convinced, however, that upon the farms of the great prairie lands of Iowa there awaited fortune and favor for whoever would properly apply his endeavors thereto, he decided upon another step in his quest for home and fortune in the new country, and, following this determination, came to Harrison county about the year 1859 and bought a farm in Union township, where he passed the remainder of his days, his death occurring in 1896, his wife, the mother of the subject of this biographical sketch, having preceded him to the grave in 1879. Charles KEMMISH was a man of much industry and found his farming venture both profitable and pleasant, he and his good wife early becoming among the best known and most popular residents of that section of the county.
James E. KEMMISH was about nine years of age when he came with his parents from England to this country, consequently the most of his education was acquired under the American system. He attended the district schools of Union Grove and the public schools of Council Bluffs, Iowa, helping his father on the farm during the vacation seasons, thus early acquiring a competent knowledge of farm life and the most approved methods of tilling the virgin prairie soil. Upon completing his school course he worked for three years as a "hand" on his father's farm, but in 1875 decided to start farming for himself. To this end he rented land from his father, which he tilled with such diligence and with so clear a profit to himself that two years later he was enabled to buy a farm of forty acres in Union township. Here his industry and careful attention to the needs of the soil again were rewarded and as the years passed he added to his original forty acres until he now owns nine hundred acres of as fine land as lies within the broad domain of Harrison county, and to which, notwithstanding his retirement from the farm, in the year 1911, he still gives a large measure of personal direction, being deeply interested in all the phases of active management of such an estate under modern methods of agriculture.
In 1877 James E. KEMMISH was united in marriage with Ona LYONS, who was born in 1860 in Warren county, Illinois, the daughter of Andrew and Matola (PECKENPAUGH) LYONS, both natives of Illinois. Mrs. KEMMISH's father was one of that glorious band who so freely gave their lives that the Union might be preserved in the dark days of the Civil War. He was a member of an Illinois regiment and bravely met a soldier's fate. Her mother survived the death of her soldier husband many years, her death occurring in the year 1900 on the home farm near Persia.
To the union of James E. and Ona (LYONS) KEMMISH eight children were born, as follow: Eldora, deceased; Leona, deceased: Mrs. Cora CHAPMAN, deceased; William; Fred, who lives on the home farm; Jessie; Roy, a well-known farmer of Harrison county, and Harry, who is still at home with his parents.
Since moving to Persia, Mr. KEMMISH has prospered even as he prospered on the farm, and he and his family enjoy the comforts and conveniences of one of the best homes in this part of the state. He long had been a share-holder and director of the Savings Bank of Persia, and in the year 1911 was elected president of this sound financial institution and very properly holds a place among the most influential and useful members of the community in which he makes his home. Mr. KEMMISH is a member of the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is much interested in the affairs of this popular fraternal organization. He always has given his adherence to the principles of the Republican party, in the cause of which he has exerted considerable influence in local affairs and during his residence in Union township was called upon to serve as township trustee, his administration proving of much value to the schools and other affairs of the township.
Mr. KEMMISH's activities in the social and financial life of Persia have amply proved his worth as a citizen and naturally enough he is looked upon as one of the directors of affairs in the rapidly developing community in which his lines have been cast so pleasantly and in which he and his charming wife are held in the highest esteem and most affectionate regard by all their large circle of acquaintances. In this comparatively new country many persons of foreign birth have very properly taken commanding positions in the communities in which they settled upon their arrival in this country, but among all these it is believed that there are few who have made a more distinctive success, a success based upon diligence, industry and merit, or who are regarded with better liking on the part of their neighbors, than has come to the man whose name forms the caption of this interesting biographical sketch, who, as a lad, was brought from crowded London to the boundless prairies of Iowa, the land of limitless opportunities. It is but proper, therefore, that a brief resume of the career of James E. KEMMISH should be contained in a volume of this character, and the historian is pleased to here present it.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 668, 669, 670 Family Researcher: Neil Bardsley
Joshua M. KENNEDY - The gentleman whose name heads this paragraph is one of the most widely known citizens of Harrison county, where so many active years of his life have been spent. He is now living in honorable retirement at Logan after a strenuous life of activity in connection with agricultural pursuits. His well-directed efforts in the practical affairs of life, his capable management of his business interests and his sound judgment have brought him a pleasing degree of prosperity and his life demonstrates what may be accomplished by a man of energy and ambition who is not afraid to work and has the perseverance to continue his labors in the face of any disaster or discouragement that may arise. Mr. KENNEDY is one of the older citizens of the county, in all the relations of life commanding the confidence and respect of those with whom he has been brought into contact, and a biographical history of this locality would not be complete without specific mention of him.
Joshua M. KENNEDY was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 31, 1835, the son of Charles and Elizabeth (MARSHALL) KENNEDY, both of whom were natives of Dublin, Ireland, who had come to this country previous to their marriage, which was solemnized in Philadelphia. The elder KENNEDY followed the trade of a weaver in his native land and after coming to Philadelphia he secured employment in a trunk factory, where he remained for some time, later going to Athens county, Ohio, where he engaged in farming. He followed that vocation for seventeen years and in the fall of 1854 he started westward on the overland journey and reached this state, locating in Crawford county, where he remained for thirteen years, at the end of which time he came to Jefferson township, this county, and farmed until the time of his death.
Joshua M. KENNEDY is one of a family of six children, being the fourth child in order of birth. Sarah J., the eldest, married D. M. HALL, a physician, who first practiced at Magnolia and later located at Jeddo. Samuel G., the eldest brother, is deceased, as is also Zelotes M. and David W. Elizabeth Ann, who was the wife of M. H. GREENFIELD, has also passed from this life. Joshua M. KENNEDY received his education in the district schools of Athens county, Ohio, near the paternal home, and later engaged in farming with his father, remaining with him until 1861, when he came westward and located in Council Bluffs, where he followed the trade of carpenter for eight years. He then came to Harrison county and for a time did carpentry work in Dunlap. By that time he had decided that his life's vocation should be farming, and he engaged in this business in Jefferson township, near Whitesboro, where he continued until 1908, when he retired from the active duties of life and took up his residence in Logan, where he erected a beautiful home and is passing his declining years in peace and comfort.
Mr. KENNEDY was married on April 27, 1867, to Elizabeth K. BEACHTEL, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth BEACHTEL, both natives of Pennsylvania, who came to Iowa, locating in Council Bluffs in 1865. Jacob BEACHTEL was a tailor all his life. To Mr. and Mrs. KENNEDY were born five children, the eldest of whom, Charles E., chose Effie COX as his wife and she has borne him three children, Harold, John and Orville. Francis married Lenna SURBER and they are the parents of seven children, Muriel, Mabel, Frank, Burdette, Fay, Ivan and Isabelle. Wilbert married Ada CLARK and they have three children, Merlin, Edna M. and Mildred. Florence is the wife of Rev. Willis GRAVES, located at Woodbine, this state, and Gertrude B. married John CHENEY, who is located at Shenandoah.
Mr. KENNEDY's religious membership is held with the Methodist Episcopal church, in the affairs of which he has long been active and is at present serving as one of the trustees of the church. His fraternal affiliation is with the time-honored body of Free and Accepted Masons, having connection with this organization through the local lodge at Logan. Politically, he is in sympathy with the principles of the Republican party and has been for many years, in fact ever since its organization. Mr. KENNEDY is one of the best known farmers and stockmen of this section, having fed cattle for over thirty years, during which time he raised hundreds of carloads for the market. At this time he owns nine hundred acres of land in Jefferson township, where he carries on farming on an extensive scale. He also owns one hundred and sixty acres in South Dakota, ninety acres in Washington state and ten acres in Dade county, Florida. He has been closely identified with the general growth and development of Harrison county and has in his way contributed much to the general well-being of the community. Mr. KENNEDY always has been one of the foremost men of the locality, and while most of his time has been claimed by his private interests, he also has been willing to devote his time and energies to the betterment of community life. Throughout the years his consistent manner of living won for him the admiration and respect of a wide circle of friends whose warm regard he still retains, a fitting tribute to one so worthy.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 688, 689 690 Family Researcher: NA
Martin KIBLER - Among the pioneer families of Harrison county the name KIBLER should never be omitted in writing the biographies of men and women who have performed well their part in bringing the county to its present state of prosperity. This name first appeared here in May, 1854, when Martin KIBLER and his family came in from their home in Ohio. Mr. KIBLER, the head of the Harrison county family, was born in Shenandoah county, Virginia, November 15, 1821, and in 1828 the family removed to Portage county, Ohio, where Martin in 1845 married and bought fifty acres of heavy timber land on which he improved a farm and resided until his coming to this county. He married Margaret J. CARD, by whom were born: Sylvester B., now a retired capitalist of Woodbine, Iowa; George H., who was a partner of his elder brother, Sylvester, in mercantile pursuits at Woodbine for about a third of a century, and Orrin F., who died in 1887.
Martin KIBLER arrived with his family at Kanesville (Council Bluffs), on a beautiful Sabbath morning, May 18, 1854, the family having traveled by steamboat all the way from their home in the Buckeye state. Most of the houses in Council Bluffs were then mere rude cabins of logs. From there they hired teams to bring them to Six Mile grove to the house of Kirtland CARD, a brother of Mrs. KIBLER, who had preceded them two years. During the first decade the family, in common with others, endured many hardships.
Two years after they came the first sermon was preached in Cass township, at the home of Mr. CARD, by Reverend RICE, a Congregationalist minister from Council Bluffs. Politically, Mr. KIBLER was a Republican and in religious faith a Methodist. He lived an exemplary life, reared a family, brought honor to his name and passed from earth in 1900, his wife surviving him until December 16, 1909.
George H. KIBLER, the second son of Martin, followed a mercantile life until the year 1901 when he retired, having been president of the Woodbine Savings Bank many years. He now resides in California.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 653, 654 Family Researcher: NA
Sylvester B. KIBLER - A highly respected resident of Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, is Sylvester B. KIBLER, whose name for many years has been intimately associated with the financial affairs of Woodbine, at all times to Mr. KIBLER's personal credit and to Woodbine's material advantage, as Mr. KIBLER holds the welfare of the town very close to his heart. He for years has been engaged in the mercantile and real estate business in Woodbine, and much of the town's present prosperity can be traced directly to his good offices.
Sylvester B. KIBLER was born July 22, 1846, in Portage county, Ohio, the son of Martin and Marguerite J. (CARD) KIBLER, who were natives, respectively, of Virginia and Ohio. Martin KIBLER moved to Ohio with his parents when he was a very small child, and in the spring of 1854 the family came to Iowa, traveling by rail to Wellsville, Ohio, and thence down the Ohio river and by way of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers to Kanesville, or Council Bluffs, as it is now known. At the time of their arrival there was only a cluster of log houses and one frame house in the settlement, offering a rude contrast with their Ohio home. They had left home April 19 and arrived May 19. From Kanesville to Harrison county the family proceeded in wagons, and as the loads were heavy, the mother and children walked the greater part of the way.
Paying one dollar and twenty-five cents an acre for a preemption on eighty acres of timber land, Martin KIBLER paid again one dollar and twenty-five cents an acre after the land was opened for entry. During the winters of 1856-7, the family suffered from the severe cold and snow.
A subscription school was established near the KIBLER home and here Sylvester received the most of his education, living at home until his marriage, January 28, 1868. Before his marriage his father had given him forty acres of land and he purchased forty acres of tax-title land. Soon after he paid eight dollars per acre for forty acres of railroad land, receiving a liberal cash discount.
Mr. KIBLER continued farming until 1873, in which year he engaged in the general merchandise business at Woodbine with his brother, buying out the latter's partner, William MCHENRY. Mr. KIBLER and his brother continued in business until 1901, when he bought out his brother and took in his son, L. W. KIBLER, and his son-in-law,
F. L. HUPP, after which the firm was known as KIBLER & Sons. On November 2, 1908, Mr. KIBLER and his sons traded their entire stock for land and real estate located near Denver, Colorado. Mr. KIBLER and his brother have also dealt in real estate, and they own considerable property in and near Woodbine. Some of the brick and stone buildings in Woodbine have been built by Mr. KIBLER, who was actively engaged in the mercantile business for about thirty-six years.
Sylvester B. KIBLER married Carrie I. ELLISON, who was born September 5, 1844, in Pike county, Illinois, the daughter of Isaac and Cinderella (CLARK) ELLISON, who were natives of Virginia and who had gradually moved west until in 1851 they arrived in Harrison county and settled at Six Mile Grove in Cass township, in the same locality with Mr. KIBLER's family.
To Mr. KIBLER and his wife four children were born, Lyda, L. W., Irvin E., and Maggie Pearl, the two latter being deceased. Lyda married W. B ROOT. L. W. KIBLER married Maud SWAIN and the two have had four children, Helen Loene, Marguerite Lucyle, Swain Burdette (Jack), and Earline Gretchen, the latter of whom died in infancy. Irvin E. died in infancy on October 6, 1872. Maggie Pearl, who married F. L. HUPP in 1893, died on April 9, 1896, leaving one child, Gladys Pearl, who now lives with Mr. KIBLER.
In his politics Mr. KIBLER has always been a Republican, and for four years he was township assessor. He also has served on the town council for nine years in succession. Mr. KIBLER is a member of the High Priest Order, and he and his family are members of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Mr. KIBLER is a man of strict business integrity and has never engaged in a transaction which violated the dictates of his conscience. This fact alone recommends him to those who appreciate strong moral fiber and a fine sense of justice.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 694, 695 Family Researcher: NA