If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Abram L. HAIGHT - One of the representative citizens of St. Johns township, Harrison county, Iowa, is the man whose name appears above. He began at the very bottom of the ladder of success and by virtue of an untiring energy and an unfaltering faith in high ideals, he has not only won material success, but also occupies an enviable place in the estimation of his fellow-citizens. Exacting as his own affairs have been in their demands upon his time, he has yet found some time to devote to public matters and has served his school district as treasurer for the past fifteen years. He is also well known as a director in the Valley Savings Bank, of Missouri Valley.
Abram L. HAIGHT is a native of the state of New York, having been born in West Chester county on November 8, 1863, a son of Elias G. and Kate (REYNOLDS) HAIGHT. Both parents were born and reared in the same county, where they also were married and where they carried on farming. It was in i868 that the family came to St. Johns township, this county, where the father proved himself to be quite a trader and a farmer of considerable ability. He died in 1897 at the age of seventy-three years and his widow still survives at the age of eighty-four years. Elias G. HAIGHT was a stanch Republican, rather active in political affairs and made many friends after coming to this county. They had a family of six children: Warren E., the eldest son of the family, makes his home with the mother in St. Johns township, and manages her affairs for her. In the home also are Silas A. and Sarah, the youngest of the family. Webb H. was killed during a cyclone at Clayton, New Mexico, in 1909, and Charles E. is a farmer in St. Johns township, whose wife was Dora STOCKMAN. The immediate subject of this sketch was the fourth child in order of birth, and when a youth he attended the schools of his home district, acquiring the best education possible under the very limited opportunities offered at that time. He remained under the parental roof until twenty years of age, when he started out in life for himself.
His first independent venture was the renting of a tract of land, which he farmed for a time and later purchased. He has added to his original holdings until he is now possessed of over one thousand acres in St. Johns township, some of which is the finest land in the county. Mr. HAIGHT first moved to his present location in 1895 and has made all the improvements on the place. He is considered one of the best-informed men in the community on matters pertaining to agriculture, and conducts his farming along lines most approved by modern science. He also is a successful stock man, having a fine strain of Hereford cattle and Duroc-Jersey red hogs. He also buys and feeds stock for the market and succeeds well in whatever he undertakes, for he brings to any venture the best of his mental ability and spares himself no effort to make his business a success. He is a man who has worked very hard and who has striven for efficiency along every line of endeavor. He makes a study of everything possible pertaining to his business and pursues no haphazard methods in his labors. Since purchasing his farm, he has cleared up over one hundred acres with his own hands.
Mr. HAIGHT was married on April 10, 1895, to Miss Minnie MCINTOSH, of St. Johns, a daughter of A. L. and Margaret (SNYDER) MCINTOSH, the former a native of Indiana and the latter a native of Pennsylvania. They were married when they first came to this county, in i856, and settled north of Missouri Valley. Mrs. MCINTOSH died on July 9, 1912, since which time Mr. MCINTOSH has resided with the children. He has been a farmer all his life and is well known and highly respected throughout the county. They were the parents of five children, Minnie, Jennie, Frank, Austin and Ida.
Mr. and Mrs. HAIGHT have two daughters, Effie and Fannie, both of whom remain at home and are now attending high school in Missouri Valley. In politics Mr. HAIGHT is a stanch Republican, being keenly interested in all that relates to his party's welfare. He bears the reputation of being honest and straightforward in all his dealings, his name being a guaranty of good faith. Through proper methods and principles he has come to be considered one of the representative men of the county, and as such is very properly entitled to mention in a volume of the character of the one in hand.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 561, 562, 563 Family Researcher: NA
Hon. D. M. HARRIS - Among the remarkable characters in Harrison county was the late Judge D. M. HARRIS, editor and proprietor of the Missouri Valley Times. His long service in journalism, his long and good life, his peculiar way of putting things into the printed page, his connection with Odd Fellowship and his service in other ways that made him an important man in this section of the state of Iowa, requires the presentation of a fitting sketch of his career in the annals of his county. Throughout Iowa, and especially on the Missouri slope, Judge HARRIS was well and favorably known to thousands of admirers--those who believed in solid Democratic editorials.
D. M. HARRIS arrived in Missouri Valley when the town was in its infancy and lived there many years and there died honored and respected for his many manly and noble virtues. He died at the advanced age of ninety years, two months and eighteen days, having been born in Montgomery county, Ohio, at the point where now is the city of Dayton, July 21, 1821. His parents died when he was but nine years of age, after which he went to Maurry county, Tennessee, and there remained until 1854, in which year he moved to Audubon county, Iowa, where he practiced law. He was elected county judge of Audubon county, in 1856, being the second judge in that county. He served two terms and in the autumn of 1859 was elected to a seat in the House of Representatives of the Iowa Legislature. In 1886 he was elected to the twenty-first General Assembly. He was always a defender of the Democratic party and its platforms. He was a strong political factor in Iowa for thirty or forty years. His newspaper experience included the editorship of papers at Exira, where he edited the Defender; the Capsheaf at Atlanta; the Democrat at Independence, Kansas; the Guthrie County Ledger; the Harrisonian, at Missouri Valley; the Audubon Defender, and the Missouri Valley Times. He commenced his newspaper work in 1863 and remained at the helm until just before his death.
It was he who aided in securing the grand lodge rule requiring all men to unite with the Odd Fellows' order in Iowa to refrain from addiction to drink or from engaging in the saloon business. This rule of the Iowa lodges obtained about 1885.
Judge HARRIS was a stanch member of the Christian (Campbellite) church and ever stood for all that was high and noble in the community. He was married July 29, 1841, to Martha M. WHITE; a native of Tennessee, by which union ten children were born, all of whom are still living. One of the exceptional enjoyments of this worthy couple was their golden wedding anniversary, July 29, 1891, when scores of relatives and friends assembled at the Harris home in Missouri Valley. Many valuable and appropriate golden gifts were given them at that time. Judge HARRIS died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. C. C. LAHMAN, October 9, 1911. His wife died several years before he passed from earth and he was gently cared for by his daughter. The son Robert, or "Bob," as he usually was styled, was a partner of his father many years and had charge of the business and mechanical parts of the business.
"The closing scenes of the lives of such men as Judge HARRIS and John C. MCCABE of the near-by Logan Observer, who passed from earth's shining circle only a week before Judge HARRIS, are what gives grandeur to man's estate, and mark him as connected with the glory of immortality and gives us reason for emulating their virtues and forgetting their faults," said A. H. SNIFF, of the Missouri Valley News, on the occasion of Judge HARRIS's death. The reader is urged to refer to the chapter on "Reminiscences" in this volume, where will be found an article written by Judge HARRIS in October, 1905, a few years prior to his death, in which he reviews the changes his eyes had beheld in "Fifty-one Years."
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 672, 673 Family Researcher: Diane Hettrick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Henry C. HARSHBARGER - This gentleman had the distinction of being the first soldier to volunteer from Harrison county, Iowa, during the Civil War. He was born in Spencer county, Indiana, in 1840, and seven years later he accompanied his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John HARSHBARGER, on their overland trip to Mahaska county, Iowa, where they remained until 1856, in which year they came to Harrison county, settling in section 33, Boyer township, between Woodbine and Logan, which land was later used for the county poor farm.
In 1861 young HARSHBARGER enlisted in Company I, First Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, which, two years later, was transferred to a cavalry regiment, Governor THAYER being his colonel. He was mustered in at Hannibal, Missouri, August 10, 1861, and participated in the engagements at Black Water, in the autumn of 1861, Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Landing and the first siege of Corinth in May, 1862. He also was in Tennessee and Kentucky and at Cape Girardeau, Missouri, as well as in the battle of Chalk Bluff and at Sylamore, Arkansas. In June, 1864, Mr. HARSHBARGER re-enlisted for three years and was sent to the Indian country along the Western border, where he remained during the balance of his service in the army. He was honorably discharged at Fort Kearney, Nebraska, on November 24, 1865.
One year after his return home, Mr. HARSHBARGER was nominated and elected county judge, in the fall of 1868, his term lapping over into the newly-created office of auditor. Later he farmed and conducted a mercantile business in Woodbine. He was a stanch defender of the principles of the Republican party, was a Methodist and belonged to the Masonic fraternity. In 1870 Mr. HARSHBARGER was United States marshal for the district of Iowa and later was appointed internal revenue collector, serving two years.
He took the census of two townships in this county in two decades. He was thrice married and reared a large family. He died in St. Anthony Falls, Idaho, January, 1912, having moved there in 1901. He was a sterling example of an excellent type of American citizen.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 666, 667 Family Researcher: NA
Uriah HAWKINS - The first settler in eastern Harrison county and the second settler to invade the territory now compromising this county, was born in New York state in 1800. In 1835 he located in Jackson county, Iowa, remained until 1847 then moved to this county, landing in what is now Cass township and "squatted" on a quarter-section of government land for which he later paid one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre. When he arrived here Uriah HAWKINS had a family consisting of wife and five children. He came without means, save two yoke of oxen and two cows, but before his death he had accumulated a handsome competency. The date of his passing was September 29, 1869. He had been a faithful member of the church of the Latter Day Saints for thirty-eight years. His only son, Edward HAWKINS, was born in Jackson county, Iowa, in 1841, and accompanied his parents to Harrison county, landing July 10, 1847. He remained at home until twenty-seven years of age, then left and established a home of his own. In March, 1884, he married Lydia Ann Thorn THOMAS, a native of England, who came to this country in 1883.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 659 Family Researcher: NA
Peter W. HOPKINS - Among the enterprising farmers of Lincoln township, Harrison county, Iowa, may be mentioned Peter W. HOPKINS, whose whole career of two score and four years thus far has been spent within the limits of this county. His father was one of the earliest settlers of the county, the family settling here in 1871 on the farm which is now owned by Peter W. As a farmer and stock raiser he ranks high among the men of the county who have engaged in agriculture and in every way has demonstrated that he is one of the progressive farmers of his community. He takes an active part in its civic life and has filled various official positions with credit to himself and satisfaction to his fellow citizens.
Peter W. HOPKINS, the son of Michael and Mary (STRANSKEY) HOPKINS, was born in Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, March 27, 1871. His parents were natives of Ireland and Austria, respectively, and they both came to the United States after they were grown. They were married in Boone, Iowa, where Michael HOPKINS was being employed at the time on the Chicago & Northwestern railway.
About 1868 Michael HOPKINS brought his family to Woodbine, Iowa, and for three years was employed by William JONES. In 1871 he bought the farm which his son, Peter W., now owns. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land for which he paid six dollars an acre and on this he lived until his death in 1880. His widow continued to manage the farm with the assistance of her children until Peter W. was twenty-one years of age, when he took charge of the farm, his mother going to live with a sister. Her death occurred March 3, 1914.
Peter W. HOPKINS built his present comfortable home in 1890 and in 1910 he installed an up-to-date heating system and made many other improvements which have added to the attractiveness as well as to the convenience of his home. He has placed many improvements upon his farm and today it stands out as one of the best and most attractive farms of the township. He carries on general farming and stock raising and handles a high grade of live stock. He annually sells about one carload of cattle and two carloads of hogs, fattening his stock from the produce of his own farm. In every way he tries to keep abreast of the latest advances in agriculture and his success along all lines shows that he is succeeding to a marked degree.
Mr. HOPKINS was married November 15, 1894, to Etta MCWILLIAMS and to this union have been born four children, Sidney, born December 17, 1895, educated in the common schools and the normal school at Normal and now at home; Effie, born July 13, 1897; Uta, born December 7, 1898; and Harry, born July 6, 1905. The two daughters are now students in the Woodbine Normal School, preparing themselves for teaching.
Mrs. HOPKINS was born May 18, 1870, in Jackson township, in this county and is the daughter of Thomas B. and Julia (COLE) MCWILLIAMS, natives of Ohio and Indiana, respectively. The MCWILLIAMS family came to Iowa in 1856 and located in Harrison county and lived here the remainder of their days.
Mr. Hopkins and his family are loyal members and workers in the Methodist Episcopal church and are interested in everything which pertains to its general advancement. He has given his hearty support to the Democratic party, and has been one of its leaders in local affairs for many years. He has served as township clerk for three years and held the important office of assessor for a term and a half. In discharge of the duties connected with these positions, he handled everything which came before him in a conscientious and painstaking manner. Personally, Mr. Hopkins is a man of genial and unassuming demeanor and well merits the high esteem in which he is held by all who know him.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 579, 580 Family Researcher: NA
William F. HULBURD - One of the youngest business men of Woodbine, Iowa, is William F. HULBURD, who is engaged in the drug business in that town. As a young man he was in the United States navy for a few years and during that time gained much valuable experience, which has been of great value to him in his later career. His parents were early settlers in Harrison county and his father was a life-long farmer. Mr. HULBURD is a wide-awake business man, and since engaging in the drug business has built up a large and lucrative trade in Woodbine and throughout that section of the county.
William F. HULBURD, the son of Homer D. and Gertrude E. (EVANS) HULBURD, was born in Lincoln township, Harrison county, Iowa, December 15, 1886. His father was born in Vermont and his mother in Harrison county. His father came to this county with his parents when a child and lived here until his death in 1892. His mother is still living in Woodbine. Four children were born to Homer D. HULBURD and wife, Lester A., William F., Loy D., and Edith, the wife of Dr. C. D. WILLIAMS, a veterinary surgeon of Woodbine.
William F. HULBURD was educated in the common schools of Woodbine, and after leaving school enlisted in the United States navy as an electrician. At various times while in the service he was stationed on the "West Virginia," "Cheyenne" and "Iris," and remained in the navy for four years. He was mustered out of the service in October, 1911, and at once returned to his home in Woodbine and bought the Shade Drug Company, which he still owns. His store is the most attractive in town and carries a complete line of drugs and druggists' sundries. He has met with much success in business due to the fact that he has given it his careful attention, and at the same time treated his customers in such a way as to build up a large trade.
Mr. HULBURD was married June 5, 1912, to Olive ROGERS, a daughter of Oliver W. and Phoebe (PIERSON) ROGERS. Her father was a native of Pennsylvania and her mother of Washington county, Iowa. Her father came to Iowa when a young man, while her mother's people were early settlers in the State.
Mr. HULBURD is a member of the Knights of Pythias, and he and his wife hold membership in the Pythian Sisters. They both attend the Methodist Episcopal church in Woodbine and give it their hearty support. Mr. HULBURD is independent in politics and feels that he is best serving the interests of good government when he votes for men rather than platforms. Although Mr. HULBURD has been in business but a comparatively short time he has already demonstrated that he has the ability to become a successful man of affairs. He is genial and wholesouled in his manner and has a host of friends who wish him success.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 621, 622 Family Researcher: NA
Jason Z. HUNT - This pioneer was the first to settle in what is now Jefferson township, Harrison county, Iowa. He landed here in the spring of 1850, settling in section 13, but later removed to section 12. Mr. HUNT was born in Saratoga county, New York, February 20, 1822, the son of Walter and Susan (DEMING) HUNT. He died in this county, September 30, 1891. His grandfather was Captain Ziba HUNT, a native of Connecticut, born January 4, 1746, and died September 10, 1820, at North Hampton, New York. The father of Jason Z. Hunt was Walter HUNT, born September 22, 1782, and married Susanna DEMING. Walter HUNT died March 23, 1863, and his wife in October, 1872. They had ten children, Amos, Joanna, Isaac, Betsy, Sallie, George Washington, William W., Jason Ziba, Amanda M., Alonzo R.
Jason Ziba HUNT married and reared children as follow: Camilla S., born July 6, 1849; Livy M., born April 25, 1852; Hattie M., born June 12, 1855; Orville B., born September 18, 1857; died September 16, 1862; Mary E., born February 15, 1861; Charles W., born January 2, 1864.
Mr. HUNT, of this memoir, attended school at Fairfield, Herkimer county, New York, from 1844 to 1846 and there studied civil engineering of which he made good use upon coming west. The route taken in coming here from York state was by way of railroad to Buffalo, then to Cincinnati, down the Ohio river by boat and up the Mississippi river, thence up the Missouri river to St. Joseph, Missouri, then by wagon to Harrison county. He taught school in what is now Cass township in 1852, Judge KING completing the term. In 1851 Mr. HUNT spent two months in Council Bluffs (Kanesville then called). In speaking of early days in this county Mr. HUNT remarked more than twenty-five years since, that three times he had to walk to Council Bluffs from this county, once for an ax, having broken the one he had, and was unable to proceed with his work without taking this long trip.
Politically, he of whom this is written, was a Republican, while in religious faith both he and his good wife were of the Methodist Episcopal church. For a sketch of his son, Hon. Charles W. HUNT, now of the Mutual Insurance Company, at Logan, the reader is referred to other pages in this work.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 639 Family Researcher: NA
Frank L. HUPP - The history of Harrison county, Iowa, is still so new and as agriculture was the first commercial activity evidenced, there are comparatively few mature native sons of the county who have not had at some time in their lives experience on the farm. There is no vocation which renders a man more independent and at the same time gives him training in so many lines of work. To his boyhood days spent on the farm and the insight then gained into the values of land, real estate, etc., Frank L. HUPP, well-known citizen of Woodbine, doubtless owes much of the success of his later years.
Mr. HUPP's entire life has been passed within the borders of this county. He was born in Boyer township on June 13, 1870, a son of John Wesley and Mary Ann (BUTLER) HUPP, being the eldest and sole survivor of their three children, Geniveve, the daughter of the family, and Charles R., the other son, both deceased, the death of the latter occurring February 14, 1915.
John Wesley HUPP was a native of Champaign county, Ohio, who first came to this county in the year 1856 with his mother. They located in Boyer township and there both he and his mother passed the balance of their lives, his death occurring in 1901. All his life he was a farmer and the immediate subject of this sketch was early trained in the work about the farm home. The BUTLERs also were early residents of the county, coming from Kentucky. They reached here in 1854, having made the journey overland, as did all the early pioneers of this section, and located first in Cass township, where they remained only a year, later taking up their residence in Boyer township, where they established their home.
Frank L. HUPP received his school training in the public schools of Woodbine. At that time schools throughout this section were rather few and far between and the school at Woodbine had been opened so short a time that Mr. HUPP was graduated with the second class passing through that institution of learning. Some time after finishing his schooling, he became associated with a mercantile business, in which connection he remained for twenty-one years. For some time past he has been dealing in real estate and investments and has associated with him M. H. BAKER, doing business under the firm name of HUPP & BAKER. These gentlemen are active and well posted in their chosen vocation and do an extensive business throughout this section.
Mr. HUPP is regarded as one of the leading citizens of his town and gives much of his time to promoting the welfare of its various institutions. He is the present president of the Commercial Club of Woodbine, an organization of the city's active business men whose object is to secure all possible advantages for the town. He also is serving his town as councilman.
Mr. HUPP is a member of the church of the Latter Day Saints and is a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is Republican and locally wields considerable influence in that party.
Mr. Hupp was married on June 21, 1893, to Pearl Kibler, daughter of Sylvester and Carrie I. (Ellison) Kibler, of this county, the latter of whom died in 1896. To Mr. and Mrs. Hupp one child has been born, a daughter, Gladys, who remains at home.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 629, 630 Family Researcher: NA