If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Benjamin F. CROASDALE - It is not an easy task to describe adequately a man who has led an eminently active and busy life and who has attained a position of relative distinction in the community with which his interests are allied. The subject of this sketch has for many years been engaged in the retail merchandise business and is known widely and well throughout this section. His honorable methods and kindly disposition have won for him a wide circle of friends. He has some time since passed the allotted "threescore-and-ten" mark and is today one of the most active and well-preserved men of his years anywhere in the county.
Benjamin F. CROASDALE was born in Richboro, Bucks county, Pennsylvania, on March 4, 1837, of sterling Scotch and English ancestry. He was a son of Benjamin and Agnes (HARDING) CROASDALE and was the youngest of a family of nine children. All have passed into the Great Beyond with the exception of one sister, Ann E. BLAKER, who resides in New Town, Pennsylvania, and is in her ninety-sixth year. She is wonderfully well preserved for her years, active and in full possession of all faculties. Mr. CROASDALE's parents were farmers and he received his earliest training in that vocation. The CROASDALE family is one of the oldest families in the country of which there is definite tracing. They are all descended from one Ezra CROASDALE, who came from England to the American colonies about the year 1682. He too was a farmer. His grandson, Joseph CROASDALE, was the grandfather of the immediate subject of this sketch. All trace has been lost of the name of Joseph's father, but the record is clear since that time.
Mr. CROASDALE's mother, Agnes HARDING, was the daughter of Thomas and Tacy (ROBERTS) HARDING, Tacy ROBERTS being the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (KIRK) ROBERTS. The genealogy of the KIRK family has been carefully traced and prepared in book form, giving the family history from 1687 to 1912. All of the family in America are descended from one John KIRK, who came to America in 1682 or 1683 and located in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, on the tract of land granted to William PENN by the king of England. Tacy ROBERTS HARDING lived to be ninety-seven years of age.
Benjamin F. CROASDALE remained under the parental roof until he was nineteen years of age, when he decided to venture into life on his own account and his first independent enterprise was school teaching. He had received a good education for his day but after one year's labor as an instructor of youth, he decided that vocation was not his forte and for the following two years he did clerical work in a lumber office. These three years of his life were passed in Bridgewater, Shane county, of his native state. Still he had not found his proper place and went back to agricultural work, engaging in this for two more years. This labor he abandoned to become one of the preservers of the nation at the outbreak of the great civil struggle, enlisting as a private on May 10, 1861, in Company C, Third Regiment Pennsylvania Reserves. This body of men was later known as the Thirty-second Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. Mr. CROASDALE served almost two years in the Army of the Potomac and was in all of the battles in which his division was engaged up to the battle of Antietam where he was wounded severely and has since been partially disabled. Throughout his service he was color guard and was right under the flag at the time he received his wound. For a year he was compelled to go on crutches and later used a cane, abandoning that in August of 1864. Shortly after that he started westward in search of greater opportunities and for a time located at Brazil, Indiana, where for eight months he worked as a clerk in a general store. In June of 1865 he arrived in Council Bluffs, this state, and for a year and a half was employed in a retail store. It was in November of 1866 that he became a citizen of Harrison county, locating at Little Sioux and in that town he passed another two years as clerk in a general store. By the end of that time he had saved some money and acquired a good store of general information along commercial lines, with which equipment he felt justified in engaging in the retail store business on his own account. It was in 1868 that he opened his store with a small stock of general merchandise and in this business he has since continued. In 1908 he admitted his son-in-law, C. B. SMITH, as a partner and the two have since that time conducted the business successfully. Mr. SMITH does the active work and Mr. CROASDALE takes care of the books and accounts and when his labors in that line are finished he greatly enjoys the out-of-doors. Mr. CROASDALE's success has not been spectacular, but it has been a steady growth and in his old age he finds himself comfortably situated. In the spring of 1914 he erected a very pretty-six-room cottage just south of his old home.
Mr. CROASDALE was married on January 1, 1873, to Alice M. HALE, who was a native of the state of Michigan, born August 15, 1855, in Cass county, a daughter of Rollin C. and Sloa (BASSETT) HALE, natives of Vermont and New York, respectively. The HALES were engaged in agricultural work and in 1857 came to this state and made their home in Little Sioux.
To Mr. and Mrs. CROASDALE were born three children, two of whom are now living. Ivey S., born on January 6, 1879, is located at Minneapolis, Minnesota, where she is a teacher in the grade schools. Clara M., the other surviving child, was born February 19, 1885, and is the wife of Carl B. SMITH, of Little Sioux, Mr. CROASDALE's business partner.
Mr. CROASDALE holds his fraternal affiliation with the ancient order of Freemasonry and is the only living charter member of Frontier Lodge No. 382. He received his first instruction in Masonry in 1867 in the old Magnolia lodge. Both Mr. and Mrs. CROASDALE are members of the order of Eastern Star. Mr. CROASDALE is also a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, holding membership in Mitzsch Post No. 139, at Little Sioux. Mr. CROASDALE and his family are active members of the Methodist Episcopal church, although his parents were both Quakers. Politically, Mr. CROASDALE is aligned with the Republican party and has always taken a keen interest in politics, especially as related to local matters. In 1888 he was elected auditor of Harrison county, and served one term efficiently and to the satisfaction of all. Since then he has felt that his business interests demanded his entire attention and has never since aspired to public office.
This pioneer merchant of Harrison county very properly possesses the highest regard of all the people throughout the wide range of territory which his trade covers, few men in the county having a wider acquaintance. He has been so long identified with the business interests of the county that its needs are as familiar to him as an open book and his advice and suggestions on matters relating to the development of the community with which he has been so prominently connected during the greater part of Harrison county's history are regarded as valuable in the various departments of the county's administration.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 648, 649, 650 Family Researcher: NA
James S. DEWELL - A man of exceptional legal and business ability is James S. DEWELL, who has been a resident of this county since 1883. He has not only been active in legal circles but has taken a prominent part in the business life of his county. As a public-spirited citizen he has held a large number of offices of various kinds and has never failed to give his hearty support to such measures as he felt would benefit the community at large. He has been secretary of the Missouri Valley board of education for more than thirty years, a record which has probably never been equaled in the state. In addition to his various interests in the city of Missouri Valley he has extensive land holdings in many different states.
James S. DEWELL, the son of Nathaniel and Winnie (MCCOMB) DEWELL, was born at Tipton, Cedar county, Iowa, June 16, 1857. His father was a native of Ohio and his mother of Indiana, and they came to Iowa after their marriage, locating in Tipton, Cedar county, in 1855, where they lived until their death, the mother dying in 1865 and the father in 1890.
Nathaniel DEWELL was a prominent citizen of Cedar county, Iowa, during all the time he was a resident of Tipton. He was a member of the board of supervisors in Cedar county and held many other offices. He was married three times. To his first marriage to Winnie MCCOMB were born eight children, four of whom are living, M. F. DEWELL, of Ida Grove, Iowa; George A., of Sioux City, Iowa; Mrs. Silas SILSBY, of Sedalia, Missouri, and James S., of Missouri Valley, Iowa. Hiram W., the eldest son of this marriage, served in the thirty-second and thirty-third sessions of the Iowa Legislature from Cedar county. The second wife of Nathaniel DEWELL was Mrs. Anna WILKINS, and to this marriage two children were born, Mrs. Ella WESTFALL, wife of Jerome WESTFALL, of Trenton, Missouri, and Mrs. J. A. MADDEN, of Council Bluffs, Iowa. His third wife was Amanda BIXLER, and to this union two children were born, Harman, the superintendent of the electric light plant at Clinton, Iowa, and Fred B., a farmer of Clarence, Iowa. Mrs. Amanda BIXLER DEWELL is now living in Clinton, Iowa.
James S. DEWELL was reared on a farm near Clarence, Cedar county, Iowa, where he remained until he was twenty-one years of age. He was educated in the high school at Clarence, and at Iowa State College at Ames. He was graduated from the scientific course in 1881 and then entered Iowa State University, being graduated from the law department in 1883. In September of the same year he came to Missouri Valley, where he has been living since.
Mr. DEWELL has been very active in the life of Missouri Valley. In the spring after he located in the city he was elected city clerk, and the following year was elected mayor, holding this position for one term. He was city attorney for several years, and in 1888 was elected county attorney. He was elected secretary of the board of education of the city in 1884, and has held this position continuously since that time. He has always taken a prominent part in Republican politics and was chairman of the Harrison county Republican central committee for several years. He has been a delegate to nearly every state convention of his party since locating in the county. He was a district delegate to the national Republican convention in 1908. He has served on the state central committee, and in fact, has been one of the leaders of his party in this section of the state for more than a quarter of a century.
Mr. DEWELL is vice-president of the State Savings Bank of Missouri Valley, and a director in the Missouri Valley Ice and Cold Storage Company. He has been attorney for the City Electric Light Company since its organization, and for many years was attorney for the Northwestern Railway Company. He served for a number of years as president of the Capital and Merchants and Bankers Insurance Company, of Des Moines, Iowa, until they recently retired from business. In company with W. A. SMITH he built a thirty-thousand-dollar opera house in Missouri Valley in 1895, in which he maintained an interest until it was sold in 1909. He has two farms in Harrison county, one of which he leases to a responsible tenant, while he operates the other himself. He also owns a one-third interest in one thousand acres of land in Monona county, Iowa, and has other real-estate holdings in eight different states throughout the Union. Thus it is seen that Mr. DEWELL is a man of extensive interests, and a man deeply concerned in the welfare of his city and county.
Mr. DEWELL was married October 18, 1893, to Emma JOY, a daughter of Samuel JOY, who was born in New York state. To this union has been born one daughter, Joy, who is now eighteen years of age.
Mr. DEWELL is a thirty-second degree Mason, and a Shriner, holding membership in the Consistory and the Shrine at Des Moines. His other fraternal affiliations are with the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Mr. DEWELL is a man of broad sympathies and keenly interested in all measures which are promoted for the general advancement of the community where he makes his home. In all things he has acted as the true American citizen, and thus merits inclusion among the representative men of Harrison county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 624, 625, 626 Family Researcher: NA
James H. FARNSWORTH - Among the few daring pioneers who ventured into the wilds of Harrison county in 1852 was James H. FARNSWORTH, the subject of this biography. He located at Twelve Mile Grove, section 25, of what is now Boyer township. He came with his father, Samuel FARNSWORTH, and both men took claims that had been squatted on by Mormons a few years previous to their coming. As soon as land came into the market at the government land office, they purchased these lands and there they built rude cabins with hewn floors; cleared away timber and broke the virgin soil. This was in the summer of 1852 and Matthew HALL did the first breaking in the neighborhood. Later, he moved to Douglas township and there improved his land which is now occupied by his son Herbert A., just to the east of Woodbine. In 1863 Mr. FARNSWORTH went to Denver, Central City and Empire, Colorado, with an ox team. Reaching Denver, the party sold their teams and outfit and went on to Southern California by pack-train. Returning to Colorado in a few months the exploring party found good mining prospects in sight, but on account of Indian hostilities they did not remain. Mr. FARNSWORTH, with a few more, secured four ponies and a covered rig with which they returned to Iowa, being thirteen days en route from Denver to Omaha, arriving in the autumn of the same year-1863. Mr. FARNSWORTH, in company with another, then set out and cultivated one of Harrison county's first nurseries. He always was successful at horticulture, being a lover of fruit and flowers and was a prime mover in the county fair.
James H. FARNSWORTH married Olive HOWARTH, of Harrison county and to this union nine children were born, James E., Mary E., Samuel A., Sarah M., Owen G., Erminie M., Viola B., Charles V. and Herbert A. This family now is widely scattered, those still residing in Harrison county being Mrs. Mary E. FORNIA, Herbert A. and Charles V., both of Woodbine.
Mr. FARNSWORTH was a stanch believer in Democratic party principles. He was a wide reader of good, wholesome literature, the daily and weekly newspapers and magazines being his favorites. He died in the month of December, 1905. Mrs. FARNSWORTH still resides in Woodbine, where the worthy couple settled a few years prior to Mr. FARNSWORTH's death.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 638, 639 Family Researcher: NA
Albert R. FRAZIER - When they would advance materially in any direction, communities, large or small, must at all times look to the men who have their best interests at heart. Thus does Harrison county look to Albert R. FRAZIER and others of his stamp when setting on foot any movement intended for the betterment of the general welfare, for Mr. FRAZIER holds Harrison county and its interests close to his heart.
Born on March 31, 1876, in Calhoun township, Harrison county, Mr. FRAZIER is the son of Samuel and Angeline (MURPHY) FRAZIER and is one of six children, namely: Mrs. Dora LATTA, of Harrison county; Mrs. Stella ADAMS, of Logan, Iowa; Albert R.; Inez, who lives at home; Mrs. Effie IDDINGS, of, Logan, Iowa, and Harley R., who lives at home.
Mr. FRAZIER is well educated, as he attended the Pleasant View district school of Calhoun township, and the high school of Logan, Iowa. Mr. FRAZIER remained at home until his father's retirement about the year 1897, after which the young man took charge of his father's farm, which he managed until 1908, when he rented his father-in-law's farm of four hundred and seventy acres, located just south of Logan in Jefferson township.
Mr. FRAZIER is widely known as a breeder of fine Duroc-Jersey hogs and Polled Angus-Aberdeen cattle, and is a recognized authority on the breeding of stock. As an evidence of his interest in the local welfare, he holds a share in the Farmer's Mercantile Company of Logan.
In 1907 Albert R. FRAZIER married Martha READ, who was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, in 1882, and who is a daughter of Roland H. and Florence (HILL) READ, the former of whom was born in Ashtabula county, Ohio, on June 23, 1850. To Mr. FRAZIER and his wife four children were born, Stanley, Dorothy, Francile and Donald.
The father of Mrs. FRAZIER, Roland READ, was the son of James and Martha (HARDY) READ, Roland being one of two children, the other being Mrs. May HILL, of Logan. The READs were natives of Ohio and came to Harrison county, Iowa, about 1879, where they engaged in farming and stock raising.
The grandfather of Mrs. FRAZIER was born in Ohio in 1820 and died November 6, 1893, while his wife was born January 21, 1821, and died March 29, 1911. Mrs. FRAZIER's parents were married in 1877, her mother, Florence (HILL) READ, was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, in the year 1850, the daughter of Rufus and Lydia (NICHOLAS) HILL. Rufus was a native of Vermont and an Ohio pioneer, while Lydia was a native of Ohio. Roland READ and his wife are now retired and make their home in Logan, Iowa.
The political convictions of Mr. FRAZIER coincide with those of the Republican party, and his religious beliefs are obtained from the teachings of the Baptist church. In 1906 Mr. FRAZIER was elected clerk of Calhoun township, which office he held one term. Mr. FRAZIER has an influential share in the civic life, while he constantly endeavors to further the best interests of his county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 602, 603 Family Researcher: NA
Joseph H. GALLUP - Joseph H. GALLUP belongs to that class of men who win life's battles by sheer force of personality and determination rather than by the influence of friends or any freak of fortune, and in whatever enterprise he has undertaken he has shown himself to be a man of ability and honor, true to whatever trusts have been reposed in him and in his capacity of capitalist and dealer in lands he has played an important part in the affairs of this section of the state of Iowa. Mr. GALLUP is a native of the state of Michigan, born in Cass county on April 22, 1846, the son of Oliver and Mary (HOUSE) GALLUP. Both of his parents were natives of Vermont, and it is no more than fair to assume that much of his native shrewdness and ability is derived from the proverbial "Yankee wit" of his forbears. Mr. GALLUP's parents had both been well educated in their youth and shortly after marriage in their native state ventured into the then far west, being numbered among the leading pioneers of their section of the state. The elder GALLUP was engaged in mercantile pursuits all his life and was also an extensive dealer in lands. In 1852, during the height of the gold fever in California, Oliver GALLUP started out with a wagon and team of oxen on the trip overland and was successful in reaching his destination after having endured numerous hardships and perils. He remained in California for four years, his return trip to his home in Michigan being by boat around the Horn, a long and arduous journey in those days. He lived but a short time after rejoining his family, passing away within six months after his return.
Joseph H. GALLUP is one of a family of seven children, the only other surviving member being his sister Adelia, who is the wife of Lewis DRURY, a railroad man located at Council Bluffs. Those of the children who have passed from this life are Oliver, Benjamin, Stephen, Edwin and Mary.
Joseph H. GALLUP received his elementary education in the common schools of Cass county, Michigan, later attending the schools of Iowa county, this state. When he arrived at years of early manhood, he went to Chicago with the intention of taking a complete course in one of its best commercial schools, but at the end of six months a serious illness disarranged his plans and he was forced to return home. After his complete recovery, he for a time carried the mails and later went into railroad service, but for a short time only, having decided to make carpentry his life vocation. To this trade he has given some of the best years of his life, but has not confined his efforts to this one line. He soon began dealing in lands in this state, extending his operations into Nebraska, Colorado and Wisconsin. When Mr. GALLUP first came to this state he resided in Iowa county, where he made his home for ten years, after which he resided in Moingona, in Boone county, for one year. It was in August, 1867, that Mr. GALLUP first came to Harrison county, where he has since made his home. For fourteen years he confined his efforts almost entirely to the carpenter trade while residing in Dunlap, but desiring a change in occupation, he secured farm lands near Dunlap and gave his efforts to agricultural labors for eleven years, at the end of which time he retired to Dunlap, where he has lived continuously, being numbered among its most loyal citizens.
Mr. GALLUP is a strong adherent of the Democratic party and takes an active interest in local affairs. He has served one term as justice of the peace and also one term as township trustee and has been a member of the city council of Dunlap. He is interested in the proper education of youth and for the past five years has been a member of the school board. His fraternal affiliation he holds with the Knights of Pythias through the local organization at Dunlap. Religiously, Mr. GALLUP is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and has rendered to his home society a most unusual service. The congregation's church building was destroyed by fire and efforts were soon made toward rebuilding. The enterprise was not progressing satisfactorily and Mr. GALLUP stepped in and offered his services. He himself donated sixteen hundred dollars toward the fund, took charge of the matter, appointed a committee to raise the balance of the funds, submitted plans for a thoroughly modern edifice and proceeded to erect the same. All building materials were shipped direct to him and he had full charge of the work in every particular, and in due time turned over to the congregation the completed edifice, erected at a cost of eleven thousand five hundred and sixty dollars, being one of the handsomest and most complete buildings of its kind in this part of the state. The members of the congregation were so appreciative of the great service rendered, that they voted him a gold medal in token of that fact. The obverse of this medal contains an engraving of the church and on the reverse is an inscription reading: "Presented to J. H. GALLUP by the members of the Methodist Episcopal church, dedicated 1913."
Mr. GALLUP has succeeded well along material lines, being the owner of between eleven hundred and twelve hundred acres of land in this state, of a half section of irrigation lands in Colorado and also lands in Wisconsin. He is known far and wide as a successful and trustworthy dealer in lands and also as a stockman, and is eminently entitled to the enviable degree of respect in which he is held by all who know him. He is a man of broad and generous views and charitably tries to fill correctly his place in the world, rendering service wherever possible. He is endowed by nature as a leader among men and his endorsement of any movement for the bettering of his community readily enlists the co-operation of others.
Mr. GALLUP was married on December 25, 1867, to Sarah J. HULL, daughter of David and Rebecca (TUTTLE) HULL, the family being among the early pioneers of this county, coming originally from Connecticut. Mr. and Mrs. GALLUP have no children.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 614, 615, 616 Family Researcher: NA
John GRAHAM - While the honored subject of this biographical sketch has not been a resident of Harrison County, Iowa for very many years, yet within the period in which he has dwelt therein, he has made himself known to his fellow citizens as a man of wholesome nature, of active mind, and broad sympathies; and he is, therefore, well entitled to the trust and confidence which are reposed in him by all who know him.
John GRAHAM was born on May 27, 1861, in Glencoe, Canada, a son of Donald GRAHAM, who was born in September of 1826 in Argyleshire, Scotland. Donald GRAHAM was brought to Canada by his parents when the family emigrated in 1831. They first touched the shores of the new world at Tyrconnell, and three years later the family moved to Lot 23 in the third concession of Ekfried. There the boyhood days of Donald GRAHAM were passed, and in early manhood he was joined in matrimony with Elizabeth DOBIE, born at Fredericton, New Brunswick, on Christmas Day, 1830, and was brought by her parents, together with ten brothers and sisters, to Ekfried township in 1833, the family settling on what is now known as the George ALLEN farm, on the banks of the river Thames. Donald GRAHAM and wife were united in marriage on March 9, 1852, and took up their residence on the river Thames in Ekfried, where they lived until 1870 and then spent the succeeding four years on a farm north of Glencoe. In 1874 they came to this state, remaining here for 12 years, and in 1892 returned to Glencoe, where they built a comfortable house known as "Argyle Cottage" where they passed the remainder of their lives, both dying within one week, her death occurring March 13, 1914, and his on March 19 of the same year.
On Saturday, March 9, 1912, Mr. and Mrs. Donald GRAHAM celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Over 300 friends and relatives called at their home that day to extend congratulations. Always excellent company, this remarkable couple were never more entertaining than on that happy occasion. Those who called were entertained with reminiscences of pioneer days spent with companions, most all of whom had gone to join the great majority. Mr. GRAHAM always took an active interest in political affairs and was elected reeve of Glencoe in 1900. He previously had served as councilor for four years. He assisted in constructing many of the original township roads, intersection that on the line between Mosa and Ekfried, Canada, which was originally only a blazed trail. The marriage ceremony of Mr. and Mrs. GRAHAM was the first to be celebrated in the first church built in Ekfried township. The funeral of Mrs. GRAHAM took place on March 16, 1914, and that of Mr. GRAHAM on March 21 of the same year, services for both being held in the Glencoe Presbyterian Church. They were the parents of 12 children, 9 of whom are still living: Mrs. Niel MCCALLUM of Michigan; Mrs. MCKENNION of London; Captain W. G. of Saint Catherines; Duncan of West Lorne; Mrs. JAMS of Komoka; Mrs. PATTERSON of Council Bluffs, Iowa; John, the immediate subject of this sketch, of Missouri Valley, Iowa; George, of Percival, this state; and Donald of the same place.
When a youth, John GRAHAM received the best common school education which the schools of that time offered and was united in Marriage on January 12, 1889, with Harriet RICHARDSON, a sketch of whose life will be found elsewhere within the pages of this book. Mr. GRAHAM first came to this county in 1902 when he secured a tract of land in Cincinnati township, which tract contained 160 acres. He resided in Missouri Valley until 1910, since which time he has lived on the old COX farm, just east of Missouri Valley. He has been considered one of the best farmers of this section since taking up his residence here and carries on general farming, paying particular attention to the proper rotation of his crops. He also raises considerable livestock as a side issue, finding it, as do others, a very remunerative end of the business.
Mr. GRAHAM holds his religious membership in the Presbyterian church, to the support of which he is a liberal contributor, and his fraternal affiliation is held in the ancient order of Free and Accepted Masons through the local lodge at Missouri Valley. In politics, he is a Democrat, although taking no particular interest in affairs political. The family are all well thought of and the home is a delightful place to visit. Mr. and Mrs. GRAHAM are the parents of six children: Edith, wife of W.F. KENNEDY, of Vernon, British Columbia; Lena E., Floyd, Mark and Mitchell remain with the parents, and Robert, the eldest of the family, is dead.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 550, 551, 552 Family Researcher: NA
Albert A. GREENE - The best title one can establish to the high and generous esteem of an intelligent community is a protracted and honorable residence therein. Albert A. GREENE, the subject of this short biographical sketch, has spent the last quarter of a century as a citizen of Harrison county, Iowa, and because of his earnest and consistent life, the attention he has given to public matters and his high attainments in his special line of endeavor, he has earned the sincere respect and good opinion of all who know him.
Mr. GREENE is a Canadian by birth, having first seen the light of day on December 25, 1865, in Kent county, Ontario. His parents were James W. and Martha (BEARSS) GREENE, the father a native of Yorkshire, England, who was brought to Kent county by his parents in 1831, when he was but four years of age. It was in Kent county he passed the years of his boyhood and young manhood, attending the schools of that vicinity and receiving from his father, who was a careful farmer, excellent instructions in the secrets of successful husbandry. He chose his wife from the young ladies of his community in 1855. In 1884 he left the Dominion and came to the States, where he secured a tract of government land in Cheyenne county, Nebraska, and set himself the task of improving it and making a comfortable home thereon. He remained there until 1898 when he disposed of his holdings and went to Detroit, Michigan, where his death occurred in 1911. The wife had passed away the year after they settled in Detroit. James W. GREENE gave all the active years of his manhood to the vocation of farming and succeeded quite well. Both himself and wife were devout members of the Methodist Episcopal church and in that faith reared their family of six children. Of the family, L. S., the eldest, is a bookkeeper in Detroit, Michigan; A. W. is a photographer located in Los Angeles, California; L. H. is a blacksmith in the same city, and the immediate subject of this sketch is the fourth child in order of birth. E. W. is a farmer located in this county about three miles north of Missouri Valley and Alberta May, the only daughter of the family, resides at Monmouth, Oregon.
When a youth, Albert A. GREENE received but a common school education, as afforded by the schools of Kent county, Ontario, and remained under the parental roof until the age of twenty-five. By that time the family was living in Nebraska, and Mr. GREENE's first independent business venture was the farming of a tract of land in Cheyenne county, Nebraska, where he remained until 1890.
On December 23, 1891, Mr. GREENE was united in marriage with Minnie B. HATCHER, daughter of F. M. HATCHER, a farmer of St. Johns township, this county, and who originally came here from Indiana, in which state Mrs. GREENE was born. After his marriage, and until 1906, Mr. GREENE farmed rented lands in St. Johns township, and in the year mentioned he purchased the one hundred and twenty acre tract of land located in section 25 of that township and known as the Charles LANGER place. Since making this purchase he has given the best of thought and effort to his farm until at present time almost all of it is in an excellent state of cultivation, besides which he has made many improvements to buildings, etc. He carries on general farming as practiced throughout this section and also derives no small profit from the small fruits to which he gives considerable attention.
Mr. GREENE is one of those men who believe that whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well, and with this thought in mind he has made for himself the reputation of one of the best and most thorough farmers of this section. Fully appreciating his duties as a citizen of this great commonwealth, he endeavors to discharge such responsibilities as devolve upon him with the same thoroughness he gives to private matters. He has served on the school board for several years and is an active member of the Harrison County Fair Association, having served that body as director for three years and has also been superintendent of grounds for the past two years. Politically, he is a Republican, and although having no aspirations to public office for himself, he is always keenly alive to the fact that the right man in the right place counts for much, and governs himself accordingly. He holds his religious membership in the Christian church, giving liberally to its support. His fraternal affiliations are held with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, and he is also a Yeoman and a Homesteader of Missouri Valley in addition to being a member of the Commercial Club of Missouri Valley, and the Union Farmers' Club. In all the relations of life, Mr. GREENE has proved himself a worthy man in every respect and, being honorable and upright in all his dealings with his fellowmen, it is no wonder that he is held in such high esteem by all who know him. He is a most genial and interesting man to meet, readily makes friends and retains them by virtue of his sterling worth. He is a wide-awake man of affairs and well posted on current events, especially such things as relate to the advancement of any phase of the life of his community.
Mr. and Mrs. GREENE are the parents of a family of three children, namely: Mae R., LeRoy and Glenn, and the entire family is considered as among the representative citizens of this county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 584, 585, 586 Family Researcher: NA
John W. GRIMES - An enumeration of the popular citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, would be incomplete without specific mention of the well known and popular real estate man whose name forms the caption of this brief biographical sketch. A member of one of the older and highly esteemed families of this locality and himself a high-minded and public-spirited man of affairs, he has stamped the impress of his individuality upon the community. He has always been actuated by a spirit of fairness in his dealings with the world in general and has left no stone unturned whereby he might benefit his own condition as well as that of his friends and the favored section of this great commonwealth wherein he has been content to spend his life. Genial and obliging in his manner he enjoys the good will and respect of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances throughout this section.
John W. GRIMES, known throughout this section as a leading real estate and insurance man, is a native son of Harrison county, having first seen the light of day at Logan on September 9, 1870, being the eldest son of William and Alcinda (TUCKER) GRIMES. The mother was born and raised in Rock Island county, Illinois, while the father was a native of Muskingum county, Ohio. In 1860, when quite a young man, William GRIMES decided to try his fortunes in the west, and got as far as Rock Island county, Illinois, where he located and two years later married. Shortly after marriage he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and had an interesting career during his three years of service. He was connected with the Seventh Army Corps, Western Division, and among other engagements saw active service at Vicksburg and Shiloh. He was detailed as a telegraph messenger and had many interesting experiences in connection with that service. He was mustered out at Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1865, and immediately returned to his home in Illinois and then back to Arkansas where he remained some time in the federal telegraph service. In 1867 he came to this state, locating in Marshall county, where he remained for a year and later, on March 1, 1869, came to Harrison county, moving his family to Logan, where for a time he operated a livery business. After disposing of his livery stable, he operated a drug store for a couple of years and after selling this business to William GIDDINGS, he went to Neola, in Pottawattamie county, where he remained for a couple of years. He then returned to Harrison county and procured a farm in Union township, where he devoted his time to agriculture for a number of years and in 1894 sold out and went to Arkansas. He remained there for a time, later moving to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where his death occurred on July 5, 1899, in his sixty-seventh year. After her husband's death, Mrs. GRIMES returned to Woodbine, where she still makes her home.
To William and Alcinda (TUCKER) GRIMES were born five children, as follow: Emma, who is the wife of M. W. GUTCHER residing at LaCombe, Oregon; the second child in order of birth is the immediate subject of this sketch; the third is Della, who is Mrs. L. J. JOHNSON, of Greencastle, Missouri; Kate, who resides in Woodbine with the mother, and the youngest of the family is Charles R., who is a farmer in Douglas township, this county. William GRIMES had the reputation of being one of the best horsemen in this section of the country, his stables being known as the home of some of the best horses of those days. He owned a stallion named "Cub" which was of the famous Messenger strain and was for a number of years considered the best horse in the county. "Cub" died at the advanced age of thirty-three years.
John W. GRIMES received his elementary schooling in the public schools of Union township, this county, later attending the high school at Portsmouth, Iowa. He then entered the Woodbine Normal School, from which he was graduated in 1892 and in 1895 completed his studies at the state normal at Cedar Falls. Previous to completing his studies at the institution last named he had been teaching for five years and for two years had been principal of the schools at Ute, Monona county, this state. After completing his studies he taught for but one term, when he decided to abandon his intention of making teaching his life work and entered the real estate field, where he saw splendid opportunities. He has been justified in his decision and is considered one of the leading men of this section in his chosen field. He deals in all kinds of farm lands, city property, handles loans and insurance and all the other lines incidental to his work.
Mr. GRIMES has been twice married, his first wife having been Maud LOVE, daughter of James L. and Emma R. (STROBE) LOVE, with whom he was united in marriage on August 15, 1900. Her parents are still living in Woodbine, her father having retired from active business after having been one of the leading real estate men of his day. In his youth he mastered the bricklaying and plasterer's trade and later was a barber previous to entering the real estate field. By his first wife, Mr. GRIMES had one child, Donovan, and her death occurred on December 12, 1902. His second wife was Mary C. FINLAY, daughter of Martin and Margaret (CLARKE) FINLAY, with whom he was united in marriage on January 26, 1906. She was born in Tarrytown, New York state. To this second union three children have been born, Helen, Edith and Irene, all of whom remain at home with their parents.
Mr. GRIMES has for many years been active in the affairs of the community and is one of Woodbine's stanchest citizens, ever anxious to do all within his power to advance her interests along social, moral, educational or material lines. For nine years he has been a member of the school board of the city, serving as president eight years of the time. He holds his fraternal affiliation with the ancient order of Free Masonry, and is past master of the local lodge, while at Dunlap he has taken higher work than the Woodbine lodge affords and has attained the chapter degree. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. GRIMES gives his support to the Progressive party and is one of the most enthusiastic of its adherents in this section. It is quite unnecessary to add that Mr. GRIMES is highly respected by all who know him throughout the locality where he lives and where he has spent practically his entire life. He has been found faithful to every trust and because of his sterling worth and genial manner he wins and retains the regard of every one with whom he is associated.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 617, 618, 619 Family Researcher: NA