If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Addison COCHRAN - Colonel COCHRAN, as he was universally styled throughout this section, was a prominent man on the Little Sioux, who came to Iowa in 1849 on an exploring expedition and became a permanent settler in 1854. He attended the land sale at Council Bluffs that year and secured large tracts in his own name and then sold off to less fortunate land-seekers, charging them, however, forty per cent interest, giving them a bond for a deed. Even at that a quarter section cost the purchaser only two hundred and eighty dollars. He also claimed a half section where now stands the stock yards at Sioux City. All told, up to 1887, this land, taxes and all, had cost him eight thousand dollars, but he sold it for a clean one hundred thousand dollars. Colonel COCHRAN always maintained a home at Council Bluffs, but much of his time was spent on his Little Sioux homestead. He was mayor of Council Bluffs several years. In 1892 he owned seven thousand acres of land in Iowa, six hundred acres of which was in a high state of cultivation. His land was all enclosed with fences, the aggregate length of the same being forty miles, besides the many sub-division fences. His home farm alone contained five thousand acres. In 1883 Colonel COCHRAN built an iron bridge over the Little Sioux which stream runs through the tract of land he owned, the cost of this private bridge being more than six thousand dollars. Colonel COCHRAN was a bachelor and lived well. He had many friends and plenty of servants at his command. He was of the old-school type of country gentleman. Politically, he was an avowed Democrat without alloy. He died several years since, highly respected by all who knew of his charming manners and genial hospitality.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 661 Family Researcher: NA
Arthur J. COE - One of the leading young business men of Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, is Arthur J. COE, one of the first real estate men of this section. Mr. COE possesses many sterling attributes of character which have impressed his individuality upon the community and of recent years he has borne his full share in the up-building and development of Harrison county. Arthur COE is a son of Josiah COE, well known as one of the leading bankers of Woodbine and a reading of the short sketch of the career of Josiah COE, found elsewhere in this volume, will acquaint the reader with much of the earlier history of the family in this section.
Arthur J. COE was born at the family homestead in Boyer township, this county, on March 30, 1879, and received his elementary education in the district schools near his home. After finishing the work as taught in the district schools, he attended the normal academy at Woodbine for one year and then matriculated at Oberlin college, Oberlin, Ohio, where he studied for some time. After completing his studies, he returned to his home in Harrison county and entered the real estate field. He has built up an excellent business, dealing in farm and city property, farm loans, insurance, etc. Mr. COE was first associated with F. C. OVIATT, who retired from active business in the spring of 1914, after having spent many years engaged in real estate and kindred lines.
Mr. COE is a member of the Christian church of Woodbine, in the work of which congregation he displays a proper interest. His fraternal affiliation is held with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias, through their local organizations. In politics he is a Republican, although he has never taken an active part in political affairs. Mr. COE is unmarried. He is regarded as one of the promising young men of this vicinity and while he has accomplished much, the years to come give promise of still greater accomplishment and wider influence. His interest and assistance may always be counted upon in any movement which has as its ultimate end the betterment of any phase of community life. He has a large circle of friends and acquaintances, by whom he is held in high esteem.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 623, 624 Family Researcher: NA
George W. COE - The cashier of the First National Bank of Woodbine is a member of one of the oldest and leading families of this section.
George W. COE is a son of Josiah and Jessie (KINNIS) COE and first saw the light of day at the family homestead in Boyer township, Harrison county, on December 28, 1872. He received his elementary education in the common schools of Boyer township and later attended the Woodbine Normal School. After completing his studies at that institution, he went to Des Moines, this state, and took a course in business training, later matriculating at Drake University, where he pursued his studies for several terms. After returning to his father's home in Woodbine, he entered the First National Bank, in which institution his father was interested, and took up the duties of bookkeeper. He has since remained there, being connected with the bank in various capacities and for some time has been filling the responsible position of cashier. Josiah COE, father of the immediate subject of this sketch, has for a number of years acted as president of the First National Bank, but on account of advanced years has practically retired from the management of the institution in question, his duties falling upon his son.
George W. COE was married on June 30, 1903, to Blanche KIBLER, daughter of George H. and Celia KIBLER, who was born and reared in this county. Mrs. COE's father, together with his brother, S. B. KIBLER, are pioneer business men of Woodbine, who have played an important part in the development of the commercial life of this section and have been important factors in bringing about the excellent conditions which prevail. Since first becoming citizens of this section they and their families have been considered among the foremost citizens of the town. George H. KIBLER after having passed many years in this section has now retired from the active duties of life and is living quietly in California.
Mr. and Mrs. George W. COE have no children. His fraternal affiliation is held in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows through the local organization at Woodbine. In politics he is a Republican, although he has never given much attention to political affairs and has never been an aspirant to public office.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 596, 597 Family Researcher: NA
Edwin E. COLE - A man's reputation is the property of the world, for the laws of nature have forbidden isolation. Every human being either submits to the controlling influence of others or wields an influence which touches, controls, guides or misdirects others. If he be honest and successful in his chosen field of endeavor, investigation will brighten his fame and point the way along which others may follow with like success. The reputation of Edwin Ervin COLE, one of the leading citizens of Woodbine, Harrison county, Iowa, has been unassailable all along the highways of life, according to those who know him best, and his wide circle of friends bears ample testimony to that fact.
Edwin Ervin COLE is a native son of Harrison county, having been born about one mile north of the town of Woodbine on January 11, 1867, son of Dr. John S. and Diana (WERLEY) COLE. Elsewhere in this volume will be found a biography of Dr. John S. COLE, in which is set forth at length information regarding the early family history of the COLEs and WERLEYs.
Edwin E. COLE received his education in the schools of his native town, attending the grade schools in his earlier years and later was graduated from the high school. He had evinced an interest in agricultural pursuits and for several years, or until the age of twenty-two, he followed this calling. By that time having decided that another line would be more to his liking, he became associated with C. W. REED in the retail drug business in Woodbine. This association was first formed in 1890 and continues at the present time. Mr. COLE is a man of genial and kindly nature which especially fits him for any business which caters to the public and the high regard in which he is held by his fellow townsmen testifies to the thoroughness of his service.
On July 11, 1904, Mr. COLE was united in marriage with Bessie DONALDSON, daughter of James DONALDSON, who was among the early settlers of this county and one of its most faithful citizens. To Edwin E. and Bessie (DONALDSON) COLE have been born three daughters, Velva, Dorothy and Marjorie, all of whom remain at home with the parents.
Mr. COLE is a stanch supporter of the Democratic party and is intensely interested in all that relates to that party's affairs. He is at the present time serving the town of Woodbine as a member of its city council and has in many ways contributed of his influence and ability to the advancement of public interests. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and is one of the members of that order who takes more than a passive interest in its affairs. Mr. COLE is properly numbered among the substantial citizens of this locality, having contributed in many ways to the advancement of the community interest and is in every way deserving of mention in the biographical section of the history of his county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 605 Family Researcher: NA
Dr. John S. COLE - The pioneer physician of Woodbine, Iowa, and vicinity, Dr. J. S. COLE, though deceased since 1881, still lives in the memory of many of the people of the community in which he practiced so successfully for a quarter of a century. He was a native of Pennsylvania, born in Troy, Bradford county, January 3, 1820, son of Jeremiah and Hannah COLE. At the age of fourteen years he went to Indiana, where he remained three years, at the end of which time he went back to Pennsylvania and attended school, afterwards returning to Indiana, where during a period of ten years' residence at Indianapolis, he studied medicine. He first located in Peru, Indiana, where he followed his profession ten years. In the spring of 1855, accompanied by Hiram MOORE, he emigrated to Harrison county, Iowa, purchasing at the government land office the homestead, just to the north of Woodbine, where he ever afterwards resided and practiced his profession. He made two trips to this county during 1855. This was more than ten years before the first railroad entered the Missouri slope. Doctor COLE, with a dozen other families, permanently located in this township, where he at once set about making substantial improvements, breaking, fencing and building. The "Doctor COLE place" is an old land-mark and is the property of the PUGSLEYs.
Doctor COLE was a man of great influence in Harrison county for many years. When he came here with his family there were but few settlers in his portion of the county, and all soon became much attached to one another. His counsel, both as a physician and citizen, was sought by many, and his advice was usually in the right direction. While he owned an excellent farm, the work of which his sons usually carried on, he continued in the practice of medicine, and was known far and near as the "family physician" in many a Harrison county home, as well as in adjoining counties. Many of the pioneers recall the good doctor, as one who usually (in early days) went on horseback to visit his patients, and was never hindered by storm or flood, but bravely faced the elements, believing it his duty to look well to the interests of those who called him, regardless of the sacrifice he must make to perform such duty.
Doctor COLE was a firm, uncompromising Democrat and held numerous township and county offices, including six terms as member of the board of county supervisors, at a date when the county government was being formed, and the foundation stones laid for the future. In religious faith he was a Methodist. He was just and generous to all, and was possessed of an excellent judgment. He was a friend of the poor and distressed and hence was beloved by many.
Doctor COLE was twice married, first on February 28, 1839, to Mary A. GAVER, a native of Maryland, who bore him six children, three of whom survived until after the death of their father. The mother died when these children were all young, and the doctor married, second, April 7, 1853, Dianna WERLEY, a native of Ohio, the daughter of John Jacob and Mary (PHILLIPS) WERLEY. She was born August 18, 1834, and is still living in Woodbine where the entire community love and respect her for her many womanly, Christian graces. She was a charter member of the First Methodist Episcopal church of Woodbine, and has ever been loyal to her church vows. Her father was a native of Germany, who came to Pennsylvania when sixteen years of age, married in 1838 and moved to Montgomery county, Ohio, where he was a successful farmer. Both Mr. and Mrs. WERLEY died in Ohio. They were the parents of nine children- Margaret, Susan, Elizabeth, Michael, Dianna, Mary, Rebecca, Caroline and Jacob.
Doctor COLE was the father of seven children by his first marriage, Julia, Norman, John Victor, George, Mary and two infants who died. Norman, the last survivor of these children, died in Missouri Valley February 28, 1915. By his second marriage Doctor COLE had six children, as follows: Edgar C., born in Indiana, died at the age of three months; Oscar M., of Colorado; Orin D., of Idaho; Emma, who married Harris GIDDINGS, of Woodbine, this county; Elmer J., a physician of Woodbine, whose biographical sketch appears elsewhere in this work; and Edwin, a druggist of Woodbine.
Doctor COLE died on the evening of August 1, 1881, at his home near Woodbine, of paralysis, aged sixty-one years and seven months, after two attacks, the first of which was about two years prior to his death. The years of his life were well rounded out, had been full of rich experiences and good deeds to his fellow men. He was laid to rest in the Woodbine cemetery. His death was deeply felt in the community where he had lived and labored so long.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 664, 665, 666 Family Researcher: NA
James P. COX - It seems strange today that Iowa land which is worth from one hundred and fifty to two hundred dollars an acre was ever sold at a dollar and twenty-five cents an acre, yet many of the substantial farms of Harrison county, Iowa, were entered by the fathers and grandfathers of the present owners and cost no more than the pre-emption price. What the cost of this land lacked in money, however, it has made up in the privations and hardships which the pioneers encountered in clearing the land for cultivation. James P. COX, an enterprising farmer of Harrison county, is a descendant of pioneer farmers of Harrison county.
James P. COX was born on May 30, 1845, in Putnam county, Indiana, the son of Jacob and Sarah (FOX) COX. They were natives of Ohio and Indiana, respectively, and were farmers of German descent. Jacob COX was married twice and had five children by his first wife, James P. being the second child of this marriage. There were seven children by the second union.
In 1852 the family came west. They had two wagons to which they drove horses. There were seven wagons in the train that drove through and it took six weeks to make the trip. The towns were few and far between and the greater part of the population was made up of Indians. There were two tribes of Indians in this section at that time, the Omaha and the Sioux. The first winter the COXes were here the Indians did a great deal of fighting. Mr. COX's father bought two hundred and eighty acres of land under the preemption law, giving one dollar and twenty-five cents an acre for it. He later bought eighty acres more, making three hundred and sixty acres.
James P. COX lived at home until he was married. He received his education in a log school house with benches of logs hewed flat on one side and legs stuck in it.
Mr. COX was married on October 25, 1869, to Barbara BURNETT, who was born on July 9, 1845, in Putnam county, Indiana, the daughter of Solomon and Eliza (LISTER) BURNETT, the former of whom was born in Indiana and the latter in North Carolina. The BURNETTs came to Harrison county about the same time the Cox family did. Both families had settled in the Boyer valley near where Loveland is now situated.
To James P. and Barbara (BURNETT) COX were born nine children, seven of whom lived to maturity, George, Ned, Thomas, Pearl, Sadie, Alec, Bertha. George married Anna DENTEN and lives at Carroll, Iowa. They have five children, Mildred, Freida, Dudley, Lella and Isabel. Ned married Mary SLOTMAN and lives on a farm just west of J. P. They have three children, Kenneth E., Ada and Lois. Thomas married Bertha HARDY and died March 11, 1911, leaving her with two children, Dorothy and Arthur. Pearl married William ALTER and had two sons, Harold and Howard. She died September 8, 1909. Sadie married William DEAL and had one child, Jenove. She died December 29, 1904. Alec married Ivy STEELE. Bertha is still at home.
Mr. COX engages in general farming and stock raising. He feeds about one carload of hogs every year. At one time he was an enthusiastic ball player. Mr. COX owns one hundred and four acres in section 14 and ninety acres in section 11 of St. Johns township, the farm being situated within twenty rods of the Lincoln highway.
Mr. COX is a Republican but he has never been especially active in political affairs and has held only minor offices. He is an adherent of the Universalist church and his wife is a member of the Christian church. Mr. and Mrs. COX are highly esteemed in the neighborhood where they live, a standing which they most eminently deserve. Mr. COX has gained an enviable reputation for honesty and square dealings in the community where he lives.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 558, 559, 560 Family Researcher: NA
Solomon J. COX - The COX family located in Harrison county, Iowa, in 1849, being one of the very first families to locate in this new country. Mr. COX has lived sixty years in this county and has been a witness of practically the entire development of the county.
Solomon J COX, the son of Isaac and Mary (DEAL) COX, was born April 11, 1855, in Calhoun township, Harrison county, Iowa. His parents, who were both natives of Indiana, came to Harrison county in 1849, making the long overland trip in a big, covered wagon. There were two brothers and their families and several other families, who made up the party which made the long trip. Most of the wagons were drawn by oxen instead of horses, inasmuch as it was said that oxen would be better able to stand the long trip and more useful in plowing the tough prairie soil which they expected to find in the west. The COX family preempted land as soon as they came to this county and at once built a rude log cabin in which they made their first home. The nearest postoffice at that time was Kanesville, now Council Bluffs, although a few years afterwards the stage station and postoffice were established at Calhoun, in Calhoun township.
Solomon J. COX was one of eight children born to his parents and received only a very limited common-school education. He went to school in a little log house fourteen by twenty feet, which had long wooden benches for seats. The writing desk was a long board nailed up along the side of the room and here the boys practiced penmanship with their rude goosequill pens. The principal amusements of his boyhood days were country dances and husking bees. At that time everybody was a neighbor, even though they happened to live twenty miles away. The principal meat was venison and wild turkeys and there was never any scarcity of fresh meat. Mr. COX vividly recalls those early days and the incoming settlers who straggled in year after year and gradually filled up the county. About 1876 the family moved to Allen township, where the parents lived until their death.
Until he was married, Solomon Jacob COX worked at home, with the exception of about eight months, which he spent in the Black Hills of South Dakota and working on one of his neighbors' farms. After he was married he bought one hundred and twenty acres of land in sections 13 and 14 of Allen township, giving eleven dollars an acre for it. Eight acres of the land was fenced at the time. He built a four-room house, with two rooms down stairs, hauling the lumber from Little Sioux, and here he and his young wife began housekeeping, and as the years went by they became able to build a better home and increased their acreage. Mr. COX now has three hundred and twenty acres of land, part of which cost him ten dollars an acre and part thirty-two dollars and a half an acre. He has improved the place by the erection of good barns, granaries, cattle sheds and an extensive system of fencing and drainage until his farm now ranks among the best in the township. He has fifteen acres of wild hay on his farm, which is valuable for feed. Mr. COX annually feeds about one hundred and fifty head of hogs and a carload of cattle for the market. His hogs are full-blooded Chester Whites. He is also interested in Morgan horses, and has the only blooded Morgan stock in Harrison county.
Mr. COX was married November 17, 1878, to Jane CHADBURN, who was born in Lancashire, England, and is a daughter of Richard and Mary (DUXBURY) CHADBURN. Her parents came to the United States when she was about a year old. To Solomon and Jane (CHADBURN) COX were born thirteen children, ten of whom are living. None of the children are married. Mary and Alice are teaching school, both of the girls having been graduated from the Woodbine Normal School. Albert and Robert are farming in Allen township. Esta, Humphrey, Versal, Dewey, Theodore and Olda are all living at home with their parents.
Mr. COX is a stanch Republican and has been township trustee for the past twelve years. He also has held other minor official positions to the entire satisfaction of his fellow citizens. Mrs. COX is a member of the church of the Latter-day Saints. Mr. COX is one of the oldest settlers of Allen township, and one of the most prominent men of his community.
He is a very genial man and is highly esteemed by those who know him. He has a wide acquaintance throughout the county and is one of the oldest native-born citizens now living in Harrison county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 571, 572, 573 Family Researcher: NA
John H. CRAIG - Among those citizens of Harrison county, Iowa, who have impressed their personality upon the community of their residence and have borne their full share in the upbuilding and development of this county, mention must not be omitted of John H. CRAIG, the well-known carpenter and builder, who can well point with just pride to many evidences of his skill scattered throughout the county.
John H. CRAIG is an adopted son of this great nation, having first seen the light of day in County Down, Ireland, on January 25, 1856, being a son of James and Mary (MCROBERTS) CRAIG, both of whom were natives of the same county. The family emigrated to America in 1859, while John H. was still a child in arms, their passage being taken on a sailing vessel which consumed six weeks in making the voyage, which is now made in less than one week. They landed at the port of New York and remained in that city for one year, at the end of which time they decided to come westward into the heart of this great continent. James CRAIG was a carpenter and they found a suitable location in Dubuque, this state. He secured employment with the Illinois Central Railroad Company as a pattern-maker, being an expert workman, and remained with that company for thirty years. He passed from this life in 1907, in his sixty-sixth year. His wife preceded him into the Great Beyond a number of years, her death having occurred in 1874. She was a faithful member of the Presbyterian church, and he had found his religious home with the Methodist Episcopal church. They were the parents of nine children, four of whom are still living, those beside the immediate subject of this sketch being Mary (Mrs. FULTS), residing at Paris, Illinois; Ella (Mrs. SENATE), who lives in Oklahoma, and Susan (Mrs. SWEENEY), living in Plain county, Nebraska.
When a youth John H. CRAIG attended the city schools of Dubuque, going to the first ward school throughout his school days. From his father he early received instruction in the carpenter trade, and in 1878 he left Dubuque, coming to this county and locating in Missouri Valley, where he secured employment with the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company, remaining with that company for ten years. He also was at Council Bluffs for a short time. While with the railroad company he had charge of the water supply for a certain division, putting up water tanks, wind mills, pumps, etc. After marriage Mr. CRAIG followed his trade in Missouri Valley and has the reputation of being a very fine workman. Desiring to try some other line, he for two years operated a chop house and billiard hall in Missouri Valley, but not being satisfied with this business, disposed of it. He decided to try farm life and for eight years rented the farm which he now owns and where the family make their home. In 1904 he purchased the place, which contains one hundred and twenty acres, and has since added many valuable improvements, making it one of the best residence farms in this section. He has never farmed himself, having had his work done by others while his children were small, and now that the son of the family has reached the proper age, he has assumed the management of the home place.
On June 18, 1886, Mr. CRAIG was united in marriage with Mary MARTIN, a native of Dubuque and a daughter of John and Catherine (SWEENEY) MARTIN, both natives of Ireland, who were brought to this country by their parents while they were still small. The families first settled in Pennsylvania, later coming to Iowa, and in 1856 John MARTIN and his wife came to Harrison county and located in section 36, St. Johns township, on the land where the CRAIGs now reside. They secured this land while still in a wild condition, paying one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre, and theirs was all the hard work of reclaiming it from the grasp of the wilderness and converting it into a comfortable and productive home. In 1892 Mr. and Mrs. MARTIN, feeling the burden of the encroaching years, left the farm where they had put in the best of their lives and took up their residence in Missouri Valley, and in that town both of them closed their lives. Mr. MARTIN was a man who was well known and universally respected. He was eminently entitled to the honor of every true American, for he was one of the faithful adopted sons of the nation who went to the front during the dark days of the sixties and bore the burden and heat of the battle the same as a native-born son. He gave three full years of service toward the preservation of the nation. In politics he was a Democrat and throughout his life was a communicant of the Catholic church. There are four of his children still living, those other than Mrs. CRAIG being Elizabeth (Mrs. CLARK), living in Missouri; Louisa, unmarried, who resides in Missouri Valley, and Kate, also unmarried, who makes her home in LaGrange township, this county.
Mr. and Mrs. CRAIG have an interesting family of six children: John Frank, a farmer, of St. Johns township, this county, whose wife was Zora JONES before her marriage. Stella is the wife of Edward O'RORKE, of Broken Bow, Nebraska, and the other children, Katie, Frances, Marion and Edward, remain under the parental roof, the latter having charge of the business of the farm. The CRAIGs are accounted among the excellent families of their community, all being well liked and the home being the center of much gaiety with its young people and their friends. Mr. CRAIG and his family are communicants of the Catholic church at Missouri Valley. He is one of that fine type of virile manhood, one who accomplishes things and is eminently entitled to the flattering degree of respect in which he is held by all who know him.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 556, 557, 558 Family Researcher: NA