If you have Harrison County Family histories or genealogies and would
like to contribute to this page, please send your family information to
the web site coordinator. A name index of the 1915 Harrison County History
Book is on-line Here (with links to more on-line
Judge D. E. BRAINARD - This pioneer gentleman was county judge of Harrison county, Iowa, from 1857 to 1862. He was a member of the state board of education several years, held the office of county treasurer and recorder from 1856 to 1858, and was special agent for the postoffice department at Washington, looking after delinquencies. He held this latter position four years with headquarters usually at Iowa City, but was much of the time out in the field examining into postal matters in Iowa.
D. E. BRAINARD was a native of Rome, New York, born in 1808. When grown to manhood he came west and engaged in merchandising and in running various stage routes for the government. One line of stages was from Springfield, Illinois, to St. Louis. He was well educated and a wonderful good story teller. In 1837 he settled in Van Buren county, Iowa, and in 1840 his son, George R. BRAINARD, so well remembered in Harrison county, was born there. In the spring of 1855, the elder BRAINARD (the judge) fitted up two covered wagons, one drawn by horse team and one by oxen. They started for California, but while halting in Council Bluffs for the grass to become large enough for the teams to subsist upon, they chanced to meet one Moses F. SHINN, who caused them to look Harrison county over, with the result that they settled at Magnolia and there ever afterwards called it their home.
The last years of Judge BRAINARD's life were spent in Chadron, Nebraska, with his daughter. The son, George R., when nineteen years old, in company with his brother Orville, bought a newspaper which had been conducted at the town of Preparation, Monona county. With this outfit they established the Magnolia Republican, the first Republican organ established in this part of the state. He later, in 1871, established the Dunlap Reporter, and after four years sold that paper and engaged in farming in this county. He also carried the mail between Logan and Magnolia several years. In later years he served as postmaster at Magnolia. The BRAINARD family at Magnolia and elsewhere in Harrison county have been strong, high-minded and true characters.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 654, 655 Family Researcher: NA
Capt. John D. BROWN - One of the most interesting men in Missouri Valley, Iowa, is Capt. John D. BROWN, who has been a resident of that city since 1867. Born and reared in Massachusetts he served throughout the Civil War and made a notable record in that conflict. After the close of the war he came west and settled at Missouri Valley, when it was but a straggling village and became an employee of the railway company which was constructing a line through that city. He has been as closely identified with the growth of Missouri Valley as any other man, and it is probable that he has a better knowledge of the history of the city than any other man now living. He engaged in the real estate business for many years and is yet connected with the business. Since 1896 he has had a drug store in Missouri Valley and is now associated with his son in this line of business. Captain BROWN has held numerous public offices during his long career in this city and has never failed to give universal satisfaction to all concerned in the administration of the various duties connected with the offices which he has held.
Capt. John D. BROWN, the son of Pemberton and Paulina (WHITMORE) BROWN, was born October 14, 1842, at Uxbridge, Worcester county, Massachusetts. His father was born October 11, 1801, in the same village and his mother was born in Grafton, Massachusetts.
Pemberton Brown was a son of Elihu BROWN, who was born August 16, 1761, and died October 25, 1840. Elihu BROWN enlisted for service in the Revolutionary War when he was fourteen years of age and enlisted no less than three different times before the war was over. Elihu BROWN was a blacksmith by trade and lived at Uxbridge, Massachusetts. The maternal grandmother of Captain BROWN was Sallie SIBLEY, a sister of former President TAFT's grandmother.
Pemberton BROWN was a blacksmith by trade and captain of the Uxbridge militia company for several years. He died in Massachusetts, March 30, 1870. His wife, Paulina WHITMORE, was born April 19, 1807, and died February 24, 1874, at the home of her son, Captain BROWN, in Missouri Valley. Pemberton BROWN and wife were the parents of four children, H. H., of San Francisco, California; P. W., the purchasing agent of the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railway Company, at Marquette, Michigan; one who died in infancy, and Capt. John D., of Missouri Valley. Pemberton BROWN had been previously married to Abba Eliza MURDOCK, and to this marriage several children were born, Tarissa G., born October 3, 1828, died October 12, 1914, at Providence, Rhode Island; Josephine, who died January 15, 1895, at the age of sixty-five; Aden B., who was born November 14, 1831, and died April 19, 1880, was a soldier in the Civil War in the Second Regiment Connecticut Heavy Artillery; Abba E., born June 30, 1833, and died October 19, 1914, at Malden, Massachusetts; Henry H., born June 26, 1840, who served in the Civil War as sergeant of Company B, Eighteenth Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry, and as captain of the Twenty-ninth Regiment Connecticut Colored Infantry, and Pemberton W., born January 18, 1845.
Capt. John D. BROWN left Uxbridge, Massachusetts, where he was born, at the age of three years, and removed with his parents to Northbridge and later to Mulberry, Massachusetts. When he was eight years of age his parents located in New Boston, where John D. completed his education in the public schools. His father managed a hotel in New Boston and later engaged in agricultural pursuits. As a young man Captain BROWN followed various occupations and in December, 1860, went to Holyoke, Massachusetts, to learn the machinist's trade, and was living in that city when the Civil War opened.
Captain BROWN enlisted August 8, 1862, in Company B, Eighteenth Regiment Connecticut Volunteer Infantry and was discharged April 15, 1864. He was appointed captain of Company B., Forty-third United States colored troops and served until October 22, 1865, when he was finally discharged from the service. He served under Generals MILROY, BUTLER and BURNSIDE, in the Army of the Potomac, and was in the Wilderness campaign and the siege of Vicksburg, Petersburg and Richmond. He was wounded June 30, 1864, by the premature explosion of a mine before Petersburg, but
kept on duty until the close of the war. After the fall of Richmond, in which his company bore a prominent part, he was sent to Texas with his colored troops and remained there until November, and finally reached his home in Massachusetts in December, 1865.
After the close of the war, Captain BROWN attended a commercial college in Providence, Rhode Island, and in the following spring found employment in a straw factory at Malden, Massachusetts, where he worked until June, 1867. He then went west and landed at Dakota, Nebraska, and from there went to Missouri Valley on horseback and went to work for the Sioux City & Pacific Railway, which was then being built through this state. He was superintendent's clerk, storekeeper, paymaster and agent. He was with this company from August, 1867, until June, 1888, being agent from March, 1870, until the latter year, and part of the time he was agent for both the railroad companies in Missouri Valley.
Captain BROWN had the foresight to see that Missouri Valley would one day become a flourishing city, and early in the history of the town he became interested in real estate. He was agent for the Blair Town Lot and Land Company, the Iowa Railroad Land Company and the Missouri Valley Land Company, and sold lots in the city and railroad land throughout Harrison county. He organized the Missouri Valley Real Estate and Improvement Company and took over the unsold lots and the land of the railroad company in the vicinity of Missouri Valley. He was secretary of this company at its organization, and has been president since 1890.
Captain BROWN has been very active in everything pertaining to the welfare of Missouri Valley. He is one of the trustees of the Rose Hill Cemetery Association, serving in this capacity since 1871, and has been president of the association since 1874. He was president of the Workingmen's Building and Loan Association in Missouri Valley from 1900 until 1913. He served as water commissioner from 1898 to 1900 and was president of the school board from 1870 until 1871, at the time the first high school building was erected. He negotiated the deal for the fair grounds and also for the cemetery. He was appointed postmaster in February, 1890, by President HARRISON and served until May, 1894. He has been commander of Post No. 59, Grand Army of the Republic, for the past four years, and had previously served in the same position.
In September, 1896, Captain BROWN engaged in the drug business under the firm name of BROWN & WHITE, and in 1898, purchased the interests of Mr. WHITE and took in his son in partnership. Two of his sons, Leon and Adin, are registered pharmacists, and Adin was a teacher in Iowa State University for two years. Their store is one of the most attractive in the city and his sons are capable business men who are building up a large and lucrative trade.
Captain BROWN was married August 18, 1869, to Fannie C. NOYES, who was born August 6, 1841, at Amherst, New Hampshire, and to this union were born four sons, Harlan Milo, Leon Wickware, Willard Parkhurst and Adin Noyes. Harlan Milo was born December 7, 1870, and died June 12, 1871. Leon Wickware was born August 24, 1872, married Mary Henrietta BATES, who died February 22, 1901, leaving one son, Edward Bates, who was born February 22, 1901, and died September 20th of the same year. Leon is associated with his father in drug business. Willard Parkhurst, the third son of Captain BROWN and wife, was born November 8, 1877, and died September 30, 1880. Adin Noyes, the youngest son of Captain BROWN, was born June 23, 1880, and was married April 19, 1911, to Charlotte MCGAVREN, who was born January 3, 1881. Adin and his wife have one daughter, Marjorie M., born December 3, 1913. Adin was graduated from the Iowa State University and was an instructor in the university two years after completing his course.
Captain BROWN and his wife are justly proud of their two sons who are not only excellent business men but men of high character and standing in the community. Captain BROWN can fairly be called one of the pioneers of Missouri Valley, since he has lived and worked there since the town was started. He has never failed to give his support to any measure which he felt would benefit his city, and it is safe to say that there is no man in Missouri Valley who is held in higher esteem by its citizens.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 640, 641, 642, 643 Family Researcher: NA
Lorenzo D. BUTLER - This conspicuous figure in the pioneer settlement of Harrison county deserves a place in the pages of this history. In many things Mr. BUTLER was foremost. He was a native of Kentucky. In his early manhood he was a member of the Mormon church, but left that organization in 1851. He came to Twelve Mile Grove, this county, in February, 1851, purchased a claim which he sold the following spring, and bought another in section 15, of Boyer township. He built one of the earliest mills in the county, the same being a combined grist- and saw-mill, propelled by the waters of the Boyer river-then a good sized stream, within whose banks flowed ample water to run the milling plant. This early mill was on the site of the Woodbine flour-mills of today, which have been abandoned on account of the big drainage ditch totally cutting off the supply of water. In 1855 Mr. BUTLER opened a general store at his mill, and his good wife, an English lady of rare intelligence and womanly Christian graces, was appointed postmistress of a postoffice which was called Woodbine for her old home in England. She survived her husband many years, dying at Woodbine, March 6, 1914, at the advanced age of ninety years. So great was the love and esteem for her that the Commercial Club took charge of the funeral, in a way, and all members attended. The auditorium was used instead of the church, and even that spacious room was full to crowding. She was of the religious faith of the Latter Day Saints and Elder Charles DERRY preached her funeral sermon. A portrait of this venerable woman-pioneer and Christian-appears elsewhere in this work.
Lorenzo D. BUTLER engaged in mercantile business at Woodbine, when the railroad entered this valley, in 1866. He also handled lumber and lost heavily by reason of fires. He died many years ago.
Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. BUTLER, as follow: Mary A., Frank A., Agnes J., Thomas W., Edmond, Emma, Lorenzo D., James M., Ellen E., Frederick and Elbert B.
Frank HUPP, a business man of Woodbine, and his brother, Charles HUPP, a harness maker of the same place, are the grandsons of this worthy pioneer couple, they being sons of Mary A., the eldest child, who still resides at Woodbine.
It is related of the BUTLERs that during the hard winter of 1856-57 their small log house at the mill was filled every night with some storm-bound strangers, who were treated like members of the family. The names of such worthy people should never be lost sight of in the annals of a county, for they are as pure gold.
Source: History of Harrison County Iowa, 1915, pp. 622, 623 Family Researcher: NA
Edgar F. CADWELL - Six decades have passed since Edgar F. CADWELL was born, on August 4, 1855, in Magnolia township, this county. Mr. CADWELL makes no pretensions to being more than he is, an optimistic, prosperous agriculturist. However, Mr. CADWELL is a leader in more ways than one, as he is ever ready to make use of those innovations which bear the earmarks of practicability, and he was the first man to breed the famous Red Polled cattle in western Iowa, where, in fact, he introduced these cattle.
The son of Phineas and Harriet (FISKEY) CADWELL, Edgar F. CADWELL is one of five children, four of whom are living, William, the station master at Michigan Valley, Kansas; Edgar, who is a Jefferson township farmer; Henry F., who resides in Magnolia township; Mrs. Hattie T. TYLER, whose husband is a prominent business man of Logan, and Mrs. Katherine E. MASSIE, deceased.
Phineas CADWELL, who was of Scotch descent, was the son of Smith and Sallie CADWELL, and was born in Madison county, New York, in 1824. He came west and lived twelve years on a Wisconsin farm, in 1854 moving to Iowa, with his family. Buying a fertile farm in this county he rapidly rose to prominence, and was elected to the Legislature of Iowa, and was president of the Harrison County Agricultural Society for twenty years. He also was a member of the state board of agriculture and was elected marshal of the state for two years. He died in Harrison county in 1904. His wife, a native of Madison county, New York, was born in 1824 and died in 1891.
Edgar F. CADWELL was well educated in the common schools and high schools of Magnolia, and lived with his parents until attaining his majority, when his father presented him with two hundred acres of land, which he improved extensively during the twenty-three years spent in the farms cultivation. In 1900 he purchased a tract of three hundred and twenty acres and about seven thousand dollars was spent in improvements on the same. Good buildings were erected and fruit trees set out. This place was sold in 1906, and forty-three acres in Jefferson township were bought, the new place being located in section 18, just outside of the city limits of Logan. Two acres of orchard were set out on this place, ten acres being retained as Mr. CADWELL's present home.
Mr. CADWELL in 1899 introduced the first Red Polled cattle in western Iowa; he is also prominent as a breeder of Poland China hogs, and his horses are well bred and well groomed.
On April 4, 1877, Mr. CADWELL married Ella LEWIS; to which union were born four children: Mrs. Vida SCHLEKAN lives in Phillips, South Dakota, her husband being deceased; Mrs. Fannie M. DIVINE resides in Spencer, Iowa; Charles F., who was graduated from a Des Moines, Iowa, business college, is the cashier of the First National Bank of Elliott, Iowa, and Chester, who is living on the home farm.
Mrs. CADWELL was born in Dearborn county, Indiana, on September 7, 1856, the daughter of Jonathan and Hannah (LEWIS) LEWIS. Jonathan LEWIS was born in Indiana in 1829, and came to Magnolia township, Harrison county, in 1858. He farmed until his death in 1866. His wife was born in Dearborn county, Indiana, in 1836. She now makes her home in Logan. Five children were born to Jonathan LEWIS and his wife, the youngest of whom is dead.
Mr. CADWELL gives his support to the Republican party, although he has, as yet, taken no active part as an office holder. He is the type of farmer who has placed agriculture in the important place which it today holds in the nation. With a firm belief in the advantages of education, he has wisely and admirably schooled his children, both of the daughters being graduates of the Logan high school. A leader in the community life, Mr. CADWELL has earned the approbation of all earnest, thoughtful men. He has a fine country home, which is one of the centers of hospitality in the part of the county in which he resides and in which no family is more popular than his. He lately has remodeled his house and has improved the barn and other buildings on the farm in keeping with the same, the place giving extensive evidence of the most careful attention.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa,pp. 568, 569 Family Researcher: NA
Hon. Phineas CADWELL - So long as there remains a pioneer, or the son or grandson of a pioneer, in Harrison county, the above name will be recalled in recounting the men of influence and integrity in this part of the state. As a citizen and as a leading light in the Reorganized Church of the Latter-Day Saints, Phineas CADWELL will be remembered as long as the longest. The CADWELL family is still numerous in this section. It had its origin in Scotland, and was largely represented in the American Revolution.
Phineas CADWELL was born in 1824 in New York state, and in 1842 became a resident of the then wild section near Racine, Wisconsin. In 1854 he came to Harrison county, Iowa, and settled in section 36, Magnolia township, and at one time owned an even thousand acres of Harrison county land, but parted with most of it before it had come to be of great value, as compared with today's prices. All in all, he had possessed seventeen hundred acres in his own name, but as the years sped by he parted with many of his broad prairie tracts, giving each of his children good pieces. In 1874 Mr. CADWELL, in association with his brother-in-law, started banks at Logan and Woodbine. Neither of these proved a financial success, and his last years were not as successful as his earlier years had been.
Politically, Mr. CADWELL was a supporter of the Republican party and in 1871 was elected to a seat in the Iowa Legislature. In 1861 he was elected a director of the state agricultural society, and was a member of the society for twenty odd years. He also was president of the Harrison county agricultural society for about twenty years. In his religious faith Mr. CADWELL held to that of the Reorganized Church of the Latter-Day Saints (sometimes styled Mormons), and was firm in all the teachings of this sect, save in the matter of polygamy, which latter tenet the members of the reorganized body earnestly denounce as wicked and sinful in the extreme. Mrs. CADWELL died in Logan, Iowa, September 1, 1891, and Mr. CADWELL passed from earthly scenes February 26, 1904, at the age of seventy-nine years.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 644, 645 Family Researcher: NA
Joseph M. CANTY & William CANTY - One of the professions which demands a technical training is that of pharmacy, and every state in the Union now requires all pharmacists to be registered. One of the skilled pharmacists of Logan, Iowa, is Joseph M. CANTY, who established a drug store in that city after graduating from the State University of Iowa. Mr. CANTY has one of the most attractive stores in the city and has his full share of the trade in that line.
Joseph M. CANTY, the son of William and Mary (GUY) CANTY, was born December 22, 1883, in Union township, Harrison county, Iowa, and was one of a family of three children, the others being Alice, the wife of Doctor HANSEN, of Logan, and Lois, who is teaching in the public schools of Nebraska City, Nebraska.
William CANTY was born October 30, 1855, in Low Moor, Iowa, and was reared on his father's farm in Clinton county. He was married in 1882 to Mary GUY, who was born at Melrose, Massachusetts, in 1857. Immediately after his marriage William CANTY came to Harrison county and bought eighty acres of land in Union township. He prospered from the start and was soon able to add another eighty acres to his farm. He became a large cattle feeder and always kept high-grade cattle. In 1898, William CANTY sold his farm in Union township and moved to Jefferson township, where he owned another farm, on which he lived until 1908. In that year he retired from active farm life and moved to Logan, where he and his wife now live.
Joseph M. CANTY attended the country schools of his home neighborhood until he was fifteen years of age and then entered the high school at Logan. After he was graduated from the high school in 1901 he returned to the farm and worked with his father for about seven years. He then located in Logan and started to work in the drug store of I. C. WOOD, remaining with him for about sixteen months. He then decided to engage in the drug business himself, and, in order better to qualify himself, took the pharmacy course in the State University. He took the complete three years' course, and after he was graduated in 1912, returned to Logan and bought a stock of drugs. Previously he had built a five-thousand-dollar building in Logan, in which he placed a complete line of drugs and druggists' sundries, and he now has a modern and up-to-date store in every particular, few towns in the state boasting of a more attractive drug store. Mr. CANTY is unmarried. He gives his hearty support to the Republican party, but has never been an aspirant for public office. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. Although he has been in business for himself but a short time, Mr. CANTY already has demonstrated his ability to conduct his store successfully. He is a man of pleasing personality, and has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances throughout the county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 679, 680 Family Researcher: NA
Edwin C. CARRIER - No history of Harrison county, Iowa, would be complete that did not contain an account of the life and work of Edwin C. CARRIER, a well-known and popular resident of the county. Mr. CARRIER is truly one of the representative citizens of this county, and one whom it is a pleasure to honor in a work of this kind.
Edwin C. CARRIER was born November 4, 1850, in Cass county, Michigan, the son of Elias and Rosette (LUCE) CARRIER, natives of New York state. Additional details of the genealogy of the CARRIER family may be found in the sketch of Bert CARRIER, presented elsewhere in this volume.
When Edwin C. CARRIER was four years old his father died, leaving eight children, of whom Mr. CARRIER was the youngest. The mother kept the family together and Edwin made his home with her until he came west in 1870. He did not remain in the west at that time, returning shortly to his home in the east, but in 1871 he again came to Iowa, and in 1872 he was married and located in the Boyer bottoms where he has since lived. After his marriage his father-in-law gave his wife the eighty-acre farm where they now live, and since then they have added to that and now own one hundred and sixty acres. This land was in section 26 of Boyer township, one mile south of Woodbine. In the winter of 1894-5, Mr. CARRIER erected new buildings where he now lives, and has since made this his home. His first home was a long cabin.
Edwin C. CARRIER was married in 1873 to Olive L. JEFFERSON, who was a native of Harrison county, the daughter of Luke and Mary (FARNSWORTH) JEFFERSON. Her parents were natives of England and, it is thought, Ohio, respectively. The JEFFERSON family were very early settlers in Harrison county. Mrs. CARRIER died November 1, 1900, leaving her husband with five children: Fred T., who married for his first wife Nellie T. MOORE, had one child by this union, Marie. After the death of his first wife, Fred T. CARRIER married Carrie YEAGER, and to this union one child has been born, Eugene. Frank, the second son of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin CARRIER, married Nettie COWAN, and they have four children, Clifford and Elva (twins), Erma and Dale. Herman married Martha MERRY and they have one child, Edwin. Lewis lives at home, and Mary lives with her father.
Mr. CARRIER is engaged in general farming and stock raising. Though he is identified with the Republican party, he has taken no part in the office holding of his party except as school director. He and his family are adherents of the Presbyterian church.
Mr. CARRIER is genial, whole-hearted and approachable, a fact which accounts in a large measure for his great popularity throughout his township and county.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 578, 579 Family Researcher: NA
Judge Jonas W. CHATBURN - From the earliest day in Harrison county, the name CHATBURN was almost a household word. It was Jonas W. CHATBURN who constructed the first mill in this county and with the same ground the first meal and flour made in the county. He was an early-day county judge and was prominent among the membership of the church of the Latter Day Saints.
Jonas W. CHATBURN was a native of England, born in 1821, who emigrated to this country in 1845, worked as a machinist in Philadelphia five years and in 1850 started west with the idea of going to Utah with the Mormon people, but upon reaching Council Bluffs, refused to go further on account of that people's practice of polygamy. He operated a saw-mill in Mills county until 1853, when he came to Harrison county, entering a quarter section of land near where now stands the village of Magnolia. In 1854 he and Stephen MAHONEY constructed, on Willow creek, the pioneer mill referred to. In 1862 Thomas DAVIS and Mr. CHATBURN erected a large flour mill at Woodbine, and in 1867 built the flour-mill at Harlan, Shelby county, where Judge CHATBURN spent the remainder of his days. He also had a mill at the town of Shelby, Shelby county. He walked twenty-five miles to Council Bluffs to get his first seed corn. He paid a dollar and a half for half a bushel and carried it on his back, wading through water knee deep on the flats where now stands the city of Missouri Valley. In politics he was first an old line Whig and later voted for John C. FREMONT for President and was one of the original organizers of the Republican party in 1856, doing good service in that connection.
Source: 1915 History of Harrison County Iowa, pp. 658 Family Researcher: NA