Home Page

Harrison County Iowa Genealogy

Biographies - 1891 History of Harrison County Iowa

Page Eighty Nine

Aleck | Whitney | Connyers | Motz | Wisler | Weston | Burkholder | Branson | Mefferd | Feigley | Schwertley | Garrison


ALECK - Xavier ALECK, a resident of section 28, Cass Township, was of the pioneer band who found their way to Harrison County in 1856. He purchased land on the site of his present home. He was a single man at the time, and was a tailor by trade. He worked during 1857-8 at that trade, among the settlers, and March 1860, he was united in marriage to Christiana GIEGER, a native of Germany, born July 9, 1839, coming to America with her parents in 1854. They came to Pennsylvania, and in 1860 to Harrison County, where the father died in 1883, the mother having died in 1863. Her coffin was made by hand by E. STRAUSS.

Our subject and his wife are the parents of twelve children, ten of whom are living � A. Magdalena, born March 26, 1861; Frederick L., August 3, 1862; John X., March 9, 1864; Theresa M., January 13, 1866; Martha J., February 5, 1868; J. Adolphus, February 12, 1870; Creszenzia, born December 7, 1871, died September 16, 1872; Charley H., born September 17, 1873; Amelia J., April 21, 1876; Ida E., born March 30, 1878, died August 8, 1878; Anna E., born December 12, 1879; and Rosa B., August 21, 1883.

Our subject was born in Grand Duchy of Baden, March 13, 1828, and is the son of Sorenz and Agadea (SCHILL) ALECK, and is the youngest son of a family of eight children. Our subject and one brother, George, came to American in 1849. George lived in Camden, near Philadelphia. The father was a turner and machinist, making spinning wheels and doing iron work. He died in Germany, in 1841, aged fifty-six years. The mother died in the same county, aged seventy-one years.

In the Fatherland, and when fifteen years of age, our subject commenced to learn the tailor's trade, serving an apprenticeship of two years, after which he followed the trade, working in various places in his native land until October, 1852, when he came to American, landing in New York harbor October 7, and three days later was found at Williamsburg, working at his trade, remaining there until Christmas, when he accompanied his brother to Philadelphia. He had not intended to let his brother know that he was there for fear he might think he wanted some favor of him. Soon after arriving at Philadelphia he resumed work at this trade, following the same until March, 1855, when he started West by railroad, having no particular point in view. From the last-named place he took a ticket to Chicago, with the stop-over privilege. But he finally landed in Chicago, where he worked three weeks, and then started for St. Paul, Minn. This was the last of April, and on arriving at Galena found that Lake Pepin was frozen over so that boats were not running, which gave him the impression that Minnesota was too cold a country in which to live. Owing to the large number of travelers, our subject had hard work to find a place to sleep in Galena.

Abandoning the idea of going to St. Paul, he started by boat for St. Louis, arriving there the first week of May, and three days later headed for Council Bluffs, but stopped at Weston and worked for awhile at his trade, arriving at the Bluffs in July, and spent the remainder of the season working in a brick yard, and not being used to that kind of work, he found it very hard. Before going to work in the brick yard, however, he, with five others, started with ox-teams into Nebraska to take a claim. Their wagon was of the old linch-pin style, and while out on the prairie about two days' drive they lost one of their linch-pins, which at first seemed a serious accident, but by the use of their ingenuity a pin was provided from a piece of their whip stock.

This trip decided our subject's Nebraska fever, as he said he would not live in a country where there was not enough wood with which to make a linch-pin. so after going to Fontanelle, he returned to Omaha and Council Bluffs and went into the brick yard, as before stated. In the following winter, he worked as a cook for a gang of men who were erecting a sawmill; the following spring he came to Harrison County. He was very favorably impressed with this country, finding the settlers here of a friendly class; and a man at that time was not obliged to tell a falsehood in order to procure a glass of liquor.

It will go without saying that our subject is not in sympathy with the present prohibition laws of Iowa, believing, as he does, that it has not helped the moral condition of affairs and has taken away one feature of our personal rights vouch-safed under the Constitution, but does not wish to complain of his treatment in America.

After our subject had been in this country some time he wrote a friendly letter to his mother in the old country, in which he told her she need not worry about him, for he was as independent as Adam and Eve, the only difference being that he had to plant his own apple trees, a gentle reminder that he thought he was in the Garden of Eden.

Politically our subject is loyal to our American form of Government, and at the present time casts his vote with the Democratic party.

Our subject's present farm comprises seven hundred and twenty acres, and is drained by the waters of Pigeon Creek. He has a natural building site and his farm presents the appearance of order and thrift.

As a matter of historical interest he wishes it recorded that the platform of the temperance party, which says the power of the Government comes from the Lord, is not correct; he believes that the power of our nation comes from the people, and that the laws are fixed by the education and ideas of those making up the Government.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 906-907
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


WHITNEY - Isaac E. WHITNEY, one of the representative farmers of Jackson Township, now residing on section 16, came to Harrison County, in the spring of 1855, and first located on section 28, of Jackson Township. He came to the country with his parents. His father bought eighty acres of wild land, built a "dug-out," and broke part of his land, and lived there for about two years. Our subject was thirteen years old at this time. The father sold this place, and removed to the north line of the township, and remained one year, and then moved back and bought forty acres near the old farm, and here build a log house, broke up the land and farmed for seven years. At this time, our subject went for himself. He went to Salt Lake City, and engaged at freighting for the Overland Stage Company, which business he followed three years. He worked one year in the mines at Virginia City, and two years at logging, in the mountains for Joseph A., a son of Brigham Young. In the spring of 1869, he returned to Harrison County, and settled on the place he now occupies. I then consisted of forty acres of wild land. he first lived in a log house 13x15 feet, which is still standing. After living in this fifteen years, he built a story and a half frame house 24x26 feet. His present farm consists of two hundred and fifty acres, fifty-five acres of which are under the plow, while the balance is in pasture and meadow land. He set out an orchard and a grove, built a barn 18x38 feet, a cattle barn 20x30 feet, a double crib 24x30 feet and made other useful improvements. He commenced on this place without much means, and was here during the grasshopper seasons, and endured the hardships of the never-to-be-forgotten, snow winter of 1856-57, when they had to draw wood on a hand-sled, and live chiefly on corn meal, which they had to draw on hand-sleds from Martin's mill, in the south part of the township.

Our subject was born Mary 7, 1841, in England, and is a son of Edmund and Frances (HOPE) WHITNEY, who had seven children: Isaac, George, deceased; Alfred, Oliver; Thomas and Edmund, deceased; and Sadina. the father and mother are both deceased; the former died in 1850, and the latter in 1877.

Mr. WHITNEY landed in New York, when but a year old. His parents first settled in New Jersey, and in 1851 removed to Pottawattamie County, Iowa. They remained one year, returned to New Jersey, spent two years, and then removed to Troy, N.Y., and remained until the spring of 1855, when they returned to Iowa. Our subject's school advantages were poor, obtaining the most of his information from books that he picked up at odd times. He was united in marriage, August 17, 1865 to Jane L. TRIPLETT, the daughter of George and Lovinia TRIPLETT, natives of England, who had six children: Jane L., Caroline, deceased; Susan; Lovina, deceased; Martha and Salina.

Our subject and his wife have no children. He and his wife are both members of the Brigham Young branch of the Latter Day Saints Church. Our subject was a Road Supervisor for five years, and was Township Trustee nine years, and is Justice of the Peace at this time.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 907-908
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


CONNYERS - Commodore R. CONNYERS, a representative farmer and good citizen of Jackson Township, whose pleasant home is situated on section 10, came to Harrison County, in July, 1868 in company with his parents, who first located in Little Sioux Township, and bought forty acres of wild land near the Little Sioux River. Our subject remained at home until he was eighteen years of age, and then went to Utah and Montana where he engaged in teaming and mining for three years, after which he came back to Iowa, and lived on rented land for nine years, when he purchased sixty acres of partly improved land. He now has one hundred and twenty acres under the plow and the balance in pasture and meadow land. He built a good house 16x31 feet, together with other building improvements, set out shade trees, and a good orchard.

Mr. CONNYERS, was born in Jefferson County, Iowa, the son of George W. and Sarah CONNYERS, natives of Tennessee and Illinois, respectively, who had a family of twelve children: Mary A., deceased; Rebecca J., Marion M., George W., deceased; Harriet A., deceased; Commodore R., Sarah M., William D., deceased; John H.; Arantha, Minerva E., and Emeline, deceased.

Our subject lived with his parents in Lastern Iowa, until he came to Harrison County. He was united in marriage September 25, 1867, to Nancy A. Patterson, the daughter of Berril and Patricia PATTERSON, natives of Illinois, who had the following seven children: Sarah, Alma, Hulda, Nancy A., Etta, Emma, James and Alfred.

Our subject and his wife are the parents of twelve children: Sarah E., William D., Charles H., Joseph, Guy A., Marion, Clarence, Lillie, Pearly, Roy and John. Mr. and Mrs. CONNYERS are acceptable members of the Latter Day Saints Church.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 909
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


MOTZ - Jerry MOTZ , one of the pioneers of 1853, now residing on section 13, of Clay Township, first settled in Magnolia Township, where he purchased a claim of one hundred and sixty acres of land which he entered that fall. There was no house upon the place and only twelve acres of breaking. He erected a hewed log house sixteen feet square, and made other improvements. He remained there until the spring of 1862, when he sold and moved to Taylor Township, purchasing a quarter of section 176, and two hundred and forty acres in section 8 and 15 of Clay Township. He traded his farm in Magnolia Township for the wild land in Taylor and Clay Townships. He built a double log house 16X32 feet on his land in Taylor Township, where he broke fifty acres and remained until the spring of 1865, then sold that place and bought the place he now occupies; which consisted of two hundred acres upon which there was a hewed log house 18x24 feet, in which he lived until November 1866, when he erected his present residence which is a frame structure 16x26 feet and an ell 14x16 feet, which was one of the first frame houses erected on the Missouri Bottoms, in this part of the county. This building was constructed with the old hewed frame style of architecture; the posts being eight inches square. He also erected a barn 36x60, with eighteen-foot posts. Of his two hundred acre home-farm, about one hundred and forty acres are under cultivation, while the balance is in timber and pasture land. His whole landed estate amounts to three hundred and seventy acres.

When he came to the county, Council Bluffs was his nearest trading point, and post-office. The first school house built north of Boyer River was on the Cutler land in Magnolia Township, and was built by John Thompson and Jerry MOTZ, (our subject) in about 1854.

Mr. MOTZ was born in Center County, Pa., March 3, 1827. He is the son of George and Rachel (HARPER) MOTZ, both natives of Pennsylvania. When our subject was ten years of age his parents moved from the Keystone state, to Hamilton County, Ind., and after living there for two years the parents both died, after which our subject had to shift for himself. He worked on a farm three years for one man, and then returned to his birth place in Pennsylvania, where he remained six months and then came back to Indiana and remained until 1853; and then came to Harrison County, Iowa.

He was united in marriage, in Timpton County, Ind., Christmas Day 1851, with Miss Delcina CAYWOOD, the daughter of Oracio and Zilla CAYWOOD. Our subject and his wife are the parents of eleven children, born as follows � John M., September 18, 1853; Adelia, May 4, 1855; George W., October 3, 1856; Zillah, January 21, 1858; Orrilla, April 15, 1859; Mary E., February 16, 1861; William C., December 22, 1862; Francis, August 2, 1865; Eliza J., December 17, 1868; Linnie, February 4, 1871; Jacob L., August 27, 1873.

Orrilla, died in September 1860; Adelia, June 1867; Zillah, February 1884; Linnie, October 1887; Eliza J., October 1889, and Francis, April 1890.

Delcina (CAYWOOD) MOTZ, was born in Kentucky April 30, 1833, and in the autumn of that year her parents moved to Hendricks County, Ind., and from there to Tipton County, where she remained until married. William and Francis, children of our subject, both graduated at Vinton Iowa College for the Blind, the form graduating in June 1889, and the latter in June 1887.

Mr. MOTZ is a member of the Masonic order, having joined in Indiana, in 1848, and was a Charter member of Magnolia Lodge No. 127.

Politically, he affiliates with the Democratic party, and his wife is a consistent member of the Christian Church.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 911-912
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


WISLER - William E. WISLER, check clerk for the Sioux City & Pacific and Fremont & Elkhorn Railroads, came to that city, in November, 1880, and soon after, entered the employ of the railroad company.

He was born in Adams County, Pa., July 27, 1847. He is the son of John and Mary (STEVENS) WISLER, the former of German descent. The grandfather, WISLER, came to Pennsylvania when a small boy, and there spent his life. He reared a family of ten children, of whom our subject was the oldest. Of the ten children seven are living. Two are in Pennsylvania; one sister, the wife of W.H. BRADLEY, residing at Missouri Valley; another sister, the wife of S.A. MILLER, residing in Nebraska; one brother in Omaha and one in Paw Paw, Ill.

The mother died in April, 1869, and was buried in Adams County, Pa. The father is living on a farm, seven miles from Gettysburg, Pa.

Our subject's early education was received in the common schools, of Adam County, Pa., and when seventeen years of age, commenced to learn the shoe maker's trade, and followed it for four years and a half, then followed common labor until about 1873, at which time he moved to Altoona, Pa., and followed carpenter work until 1880, then after making a short stay in his old home, in Adams County, he came to Missouri Valley, where he has since been permanently employed by the railroad company.

Among the important events of this man's life may be mentioned his marriage, which occurred April 10, 1866, in Adams County, Pa., when he married Rebecca J. RUSSELL, the daughter of James and Rebecca (MCCLURE) RUSSELL, who were of Irish descent. The mother died in 1862, and the father, in January, 1880. Mrs. WISLER has two sisters and two brothers living, all residents of the Keystone State. Mr. and Mrs. WISLER are the parents of four children � Grace D., born in 1867, now the wife of J.B. LYON, of Missouri Valley, and they are the parents of two children � Waldo Mason, born in December, 1886, and Burton Russell, born in December, 1888. The remainder of our subject's children are Russell I., born January 19, 1871. He is a machinist and lives at home; Harry Mayberry, deceased at the age of three months and William L.B., born September 27, 1875.

Mr. and Mrs. WISLER are consistent members of the Presbyterian Church at Missouri Valley. Mr. WISLER became an Odd Fellow in Mountain City, and belongs to Lodge, No. 837, at Altoona, Pa., and became a member of the Encampment ("Red Cloud Encampment, No, 97") in Missouri Valley. Politically, he is identified with the Democratic party. In justice to his father it should be said that he served in the Union Army in the Civil War.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 912-913
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index


WESTON - Mathias T. WESTON, foreman of the car department of the Missouri Valley Railroad shops, came to Missouri Valley in June, 18?8, and engaged with the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad Company for which he is still working.

Mr. WESTON was born in Huntingdon County, Pa., October 24, 1853, and is the son of John and Mary (RIDER) WESTON. His father's people were of English descent and his mother's, of German. But his families have been in Pennsylvania for many generations. The father was a carpenter by trade and died in the spring of 1876. The mother died in the summer of 1869. They were the parents of three sons and four daughters, three now living. Our subject was the youngest child. His sister, Lydia C., wife of W.C. GARDNER, resides in Altoona, Pa., and is a machinist, employed by Pennsylvania Railroad Company. Another sister, Sally A., the wife of Jerry NARHOOF, resides near Warrior's Mark, Huntingdon County, Pa.

Our subject's early education was received in his native county. He there learned the cabinet maker's trade, and soon after entered the car shops of Pennsylvania Railroad Company at Altoona, with whom he remained continually until he came to Missouri Valley with the exception of a year or so spent traveling in different States.

Our subject was married November 28, 1886, to Clara M. HUFF, the daughter of Miriam HUFF, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work.

Politically, Mr. WESTON is identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, belonging to Missouri Valley Lodge, No. 232, of A.F & A.M., and Triune Chapter, No. 81 as well as Ivanhoe Commandery, No. 17 at Council Bluffs.

Our subject's life is an example of what duty faithfully performed with accomplish, as it will be been by the above that nearly all of his active life has been spent in the employ of two great corporations � the Pennsylvania and North-western railroad systems. He is a skilled artisan, and hence a valuable man for the railroad shops over which he is foreman. In his manner, he is genial, wholesouled and friendly, and hence is very naturally, a popular man, in the society in which he moves. Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 913
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

BURKHOLDER - William H. BURKHOLDER, who came to Harrison County February 7, 1862, and is now a resident of section 8, Douglas Township, was born July 29, 1840, in Knox County, Ohio. His father, Isaac BURKHOLDER, was born in Rockingham County, Va., and was married in the same county to Miss Sarah RALSTON, and they were the parents of five children, our subject being the youngest. The father died in Richland County, Ill., and the mother in Knox County, Ohio.

William H., our subject, settled in Douglas Township in the spring of 1867, purchasing forty acres on section 16, in the spring of 1866. Upon this tract he built a house during the winter of 1866-67, having broken up his land in the summer of 1866. At this time his wife was one of the first school teachers in the township, and here they remained until 1882, when he sold out and purchased his present farm.

Upon arriving in Harrison County our subject worked for L.D. Butler in his sawmill near the present site of Woodbine, and later for J.H. Farnsworth, where he staid until the fall of 1862, and then went to Washington County, Iowa, where he remained until the spring of 8163, then returned to Harrison County, renting a farm in Douglas Township. In the summer of 1864 he worked a part of James Farnsworth's farm, and in November, 1864, he enlisted as a member of Company E, of the Thirteenth Iowa Infantry, and served in the Army of the Tennessee under Gen. "Pap" Thomas in his campaign with Hood. From about the last of November until December 19, when Hood commenced to retreat, and for the next month they were trying to cut Hood off. They finally returned to Nashville, Tenn., and there took boat for Jeffersonville, Ind., from which point they were conveyed by train to Cincinnati; remained over night and on to Ohio to Pittsburgh, from there to Annapolis, Md., where they took the transport "Argyle" to Moorhead, N.C., arriving at that point February 8, 1865, and marched from there to Newbern N.C., where they remained a month, thence to Wise's Forks, where they had an engagement, after which they went Kingston, and from there to Goldsboro, and joined Gen. Sherman's command. On the return "march from the sea" they went to Greensboro, where Johnson surrendered without an engagement. From this point they came to Raleigh and went into camp, remained three weeks, then marched to Richmond, and thence to Washington, D.C., and took part in the greatest military reunion the world has every witnessed � the Grand Review. After about a week's sojourn in Washington, our subject, with his company, went to Louisville, Ky., where they remained until they were mustered out of service, July 28, 1865, and then went to Davenport, Iowa, where he received his final discharge August 28, 1865, and on September 20 reached Harrison County, and at once engaged in farming.

He was married to Miss Carrie M. ACKLEY April 10, 1866, by whom six children � Eliza M., Herbert A., Jesse W., Eva P., Amy M. and Lewellyn R. Eva P. and Lewellyn R. are deceased. Carrie M. (ACKLEY) BURKHOLDER died April 17, 1889. She was born in Alleghany County, N.Y., August 11, 1839, where she remained until May, 1865, at which time she came to Harrison County, Iowa for the purpose of teaching school. Eliza M., daughter of our subject, was united in marriage with William YAGER, now a resident of Douglas Township.

Mr. BURKHOLDER affiliates with the Independent party, and is a member of Eaton Post, No. 86. G.A.R., at Woodbine.

In considering this man's checkered and eventful life, his army record and other sacrifices made and then reflect that he is but one of the vary army of men who went forth in defense of liberty and the union of States, and by whose bravery and endurance our present "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave" has an existence, we are led to conclude that his has not been an aimless life.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 920-921
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

BRANSON - William Huston BRANSON, a representative farmer of St. John's Township, came to Harrison County, with the vanguard of civilization, arriving in October, 1853, in company with three others: John Latham, John Mostiller and Harvey Mostiller. They came with horse team and covered wagon, and one single horse, with no other companions, save their guns, which they bought in Terre Haute, Ind.; they started West with the object of hunting. January 1, 1854, Mr. BRANSON in company with Peter Deal, started back to Indiana, returning to Iowa the following March, and shortly after his arrival here bought forty acres of land in Calhoun Township, with a land warrant, and later purchased eighty acres on section 6, of St. John's Township. During the summer of 1854, our subject was unable to accomplish much on account of sickness. The following season he worked by the month. During the winter of 1855-56, he worked for Andrew Cox.

March 2, 1856, marked a new era in this pioneer's life, for it was upon that day that he married Nancy CASE, a native of Indiana, the ceremony being performed by H.B. Cox. Mrs. BRANSON was born April 17, 1839, and was the daughter of John and Sarah CASE. The father was born July 15, 1798, and the mother October 20, 1800. The summer after our subject's marriage, he worked the Jewell farm at Harris Grove, and the next season worked land belonging to Henry Reel, Jr. In the fall of 1857, he traded with Joseph Moss and got his present farm, moving to the place in February 1858. The original tract comprised forty acres, to which he has added until he has two hundred acres.

Our subject was born in Parke County, Ind., May 23, 1831, and is the son of Jonathan and Melinda (MOORE) BRANSON. The father was a native of Tennessee, born February 23, 1802, and came West about 1860 and settled in Pottawattamie County, where he died in 1882. The mother of our subject was born in Kentucky, and died in Indiana. They reared a family of ten children, four sons and six daughters, our subject being the eldest. His education was acquired at the district schools, common to the Hoosier State at that day, and he remained at home until coming to Harrison County. His father always followed farming for a livelihood, and trained his sons to be successful tillers of the soil.

Our subject met with the first great loss of his life-time March 17, 1884, when his wife passed from earth. They were the parents of twelve children: Sarah M., born May 17, 1857; Samantha, December 28, 1858; Isaiah Jacob, May 5, 1861; Jonathan, born January 23, 1863 (deceased); William H. born December 17, 1864; Jesse September 11, 1866 (deceased); John G., born August 22, 1868; James M, August 17, 1870; Nancy J August 8, 1872; Viola, January 6, 1874 (deceased); Marian L., born April 18, 1876, (deceased); Melvin M. born January 7, 1878, (deceased).

Politically, our subject affiliates with the Democratic party, and he has always sought to work for the best interests of Harrison County, which has been his home for the last thirty-eight years, during which time he has always had "plenty and to spare," with the exception of times of sickness.

Among the early incidents this pioneer relates to the historian, is that how the day after he arrived in Harrison County, he was chosen to help drive the thieving Indians away from the settlement, as they had been taking the liberty of digging the setters' potatoes and appropriating their swine to their own use. Suffice to say the work was done effectually, and without bloodshed. Mr. Branson also speaks of the great abundance of game he found upon his arrival in the county. He being a "good shot," many a nimble-footed deer ebbed its life away at the crack of his rifle.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 922-923
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

MEFFERD - Samuel MEFFERD, a resident of section 30, Douglas Township, was born in Muhlenburg County, Ky., October 8, 1842, and when a child moved with his parents to Butler County, the same State, where they remained until 1850. In the spring of that year the family started with ox-teams for the West. They first halted in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, where they remained one month and then located in Jefferson Township, Harrison County. In 1853 they left that placed and moved to their present home on section 30, Douglas Township. When they moved to the township but few settlers had taken up land; one or two families had made a short residence, but soon went on to Utah. There was a cabin on the land taken by his father. He built another log house, which has since been weather-boarded and is still used as a residence.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 923
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

FEIGLEY - Franklin P. FEIGLEY , liveryman at Logan, came to Harrison County, and engaged in the livery business.

He is from the Buckeye State, born in Perry County, Ohio, December 16, 1854, and is the son of Samuel and Lydia (COLBORN) FEIGLEY, who had five children, our subject being the fourth. The children were as follows � John C., David T., James D., Franklin P., Lydia A.

Our subject remained in Ohio with his parents until he was seventeen years of age, and then went to McDonough County, Ill., where he worked by the month at farming, following this for twelve years, then came to Harrison County.

The site of his livery stable is what is known as the Lusk House livery barn, where he carries a stock of buggies, and keeps horses enough to supply the demand for livery in and about Logan.

Our subject is a single man, and a member of Chrysolite Lodge No 170, A.F. & A.M., at Logan, Iowa.

Our subject's father was a native of Pennsylvania, and of German descent. During his early years he was engaged in the produce and commission business in Cincinnati, which he followed for about twenty years, after which he removed to Perry County, Ohio, where he still resides. For many years he followed carpentering, but is now living a retired life. His wife, the mother of our subject, is a native of Maryland. Her father was John COLBORN, who was an early settler in that section.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 925
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

SCHWERTLEY - Frederick SCHWERTLEY has been a resident of Harrison County since June 1857, when he located a mile and a half north of the village of Magnolia, but at present is a successful farmer of section 24, Calhoun Township. The following is a brief review of his life, with what he has encountered and achieved:

He was born April 28, 1828, in Wurtempburg, Germany, and is a son of Conrad and Margaret (SCHMIDT) SCHWERTLEY. He is the youngest of a family of sixteen children, of whom four are now living, and he being the only one in this country. The father died in Germany, April 6, 1858, aged sixty-eight years. The mother died in Germany, at the age of ninety-three years, in 1886. Believing that the New World afforded a better field of labor for the poor man than the old and densely populated German Empire, our subject sailed to America, landing in New York, January 10, 1853. From the time he was old enough, in the old country, he followed teaming and freighting from one town to another, and until he was fourteen years old managed to attend the common school of his na�ve country, where he received a fair education. Upon coming to this country he engaged with the Northwestern Stage Company, at Wheeling, Va., to take care of their horses, and there he learned to speak our language, and went on to their line, coming West with them in the spring of 1855. He drove stage for them eighteen months, from Iowa city to Marengo, and then came to Calhoun, Harrison County, and drove six months for them, from Calhoun to Kirby, in Pottawattamie County, ending his services with them in the spring of 1857.

July 2, 1857, our subject as united in marriage at Iowa City (then the Capital of the State), to Salome BRECHT, a native of Baden, Germany, born October 10, 1832. She was the daughter of Philipine and Franz BRECHT. Our subject and his wife are the parents of eleven children, eight of whom still survive - Francis W., Margaret, Philipine, Emma, Frederick, Ida, Catherine, Frances, Leo (died when ten years of age), and to died in infancy.

The family belong to two churches, he to the German Lutheran Church, and she and the children to the Roman Catholic. Politically, he affiliates with the Democratic party.

The first year after our subject came to Harrison County to remain, he lived near Magnolia, and then bought one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 10, of Taylor Township, in 1858, and a little later, in company with Josiah Crome, fitted out a team and started on a prospecting trip to Pike's Peak, but only went as far as Ft. Kearney, and there met large numbers of the gold explorers returning home, not being successful, hence our subject and his companion also returned, and in the spring of 1860 moved to his place in Taylor Township, where he built a log house 18x20 feet, with a cottonwood floor. He improved this farm and remained nine years and then moved to section 17, of the same township, afterwards sold that place, and in the spring of 1869 bought a prairie farm of one hundred and sixty acres, where he lived until 1887, then moved to his present place in Calhoun Township. He now owns sixteen hundred and seventy-four acres of land in Harrison County, five hundred and fifty of which is plow land, four hundred in pasture, the balance in timber and meadow land. He also owns a house and lot in Modale. He generally keeps about one hundred head of cattle, as many swine, and about seventeen head of horses.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 926-927
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

GARRISON - John D. GARRISON, ex-sheriff of Harrison County, and ex-President of the Iowa Sheriff's Association, who has been a resident of the county since 1871, will form the subject of this biographical notice.

He was born in Orleans County, N.Y., June 3, 1837, the son of Ezra and Charlotta (BUTTS) GARRISON, natives of the Empire State, who trace their ancestry back to Holland. John D. is the youngest of a family of twelve children. His parents are both deceased, and buried in Rock County, Wis. He spent his early life, and received his early education in the common schools of New York, and finished in Milton, Rock County, now quite a noted place as an education town. The family came to Rock County, Wis., in 1848; and in 1854 our subject went to Illinois, and from there to Delhi, Delaware County, Iowa, where he was engaged on its brickyard one year, and then went to Butler County, remained until 1866, and engaged in the grain business at Madison, Wis. We next find our subject in the grand and stock business in Harrison County, Iowa, which he followed until 18790, and then went to Pottawattamie County. He was elected Sheriff of Harrison County in 1883, by one hundred and eighty-seven majority; was re-elected in 1885 by a majority of forty-four; in 1887 by a majority of five hundred and thirty-seven; and in 1889 by a majority of four hundred and fifteen.

Politically, Mr. GARRISON is a radical Democrat, of the old line stripe. He is a member of the Baptist Church at Logan, and belongs to Masonic Lodge No. 423, (Neola) A.F. & A.M.; Avoca royal Arch Chapter; and Neola Lodge, No. 410, of I.O.O.F.

He was united in marriage January 1, 1857, at Clarksville, Iowa, to Mary FARLOW. Daughter of Alfred and Sinah (FRAKES) FARLOW. Mr. and Mrs. GARRISON are the parents of three living children � Tillie, born October 3, 1857; Orra A., November 11, 1860; and Sherman L., June 9, 1865

Our subject enlisted August 20, 1862, at Waverly, Iowa, as a member of Company B., Thirty-eighth Iowa Infantry, as Fourth Sergeant. He was at the siege of Vicksburg, and up the Yazoo on special service, and discharged at New Orleans November 1, 1863.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 929
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index --- To Bio Index



Return to Harrison County Home Page