|Harrison County Iowa Genealogy|
Page Eighty Five
Teeter | Newland | Peterson | B Tupper | Hill | L Tupper | Cutler | Barrett | Reed
TEETER - Isaac K. TEETER, a farmer living on section 2, Taylor Township, came to Harrison County in the autumn of 1855, and entered twenty acres of land, one hundred and twenty-five on section 11, also in 1856 purchased a "forty" from Charles Van, a (mulatto). There were no improvements upon this land at the time he obtained it. After securing his land, in the fall of 1855, he returned to his family in Jefferson County, and moved out the following spring. He came with an ox team, and lived in his wagon until a small shanty could be erected, which served the purpose of a house until fall, when he built a log house 16x21 feet. One reason our subject had in wanting this place was the fact that it contained one of the finest springs in Harrison County. It runs a two-inch stream the year round, and gushes forth from the ground at the corner of his house. The family lived in the log house above referred to until the summer of 1884, when their present residence was 1rected. It is a 16x24 foot frame house, with an addition 15x16 feet two stories high. There is also an excellent milk house 9x22 feet. Their farm now consists of three hundred and eighty acres in Taylor Township, and twenty in Raglan. When our subject first came to the county he did his trading at Council Bluffs, and he relates how that he raised onions from seed and nearly supplied the market at that place.
In his earlier experience in the county he ran a breaking team, and while he was turning the virgin sod and laying bare the bosom of the beautiful prairie land, his family did most of the onion cultivating. At that time there was no settlement from his place to Cincinnati, and as far as his eye could see, up and down the bottom, was one vast sea of prairie land and swamp. From his place to where Modale now stands it was impossible to pass unless one went miles around the swamps, which were about five miles long and from one-half to a mile in width. This is now very valuable land for hay and pasture. Since living in the country our subject has made three trips to the Black Hills, spending three years of his time mining and prospecting in that locality.
To inform the reader of our subject's earlier career, it may be stated in this connection that Mr. TEETER was born in Bedford County, Pa., April 12, 1821. He is the son of Isaac and Elizabeth (KAYLOR) TEETER. The father was a native of the Keystone State, while the mother was born in Maryland. Our subject remained at home on his father's farm until the years of his majority; he then took a trip to Miami County, Ohio. He attended school while there, and went back to Pennsylvania and farmed his father's place, and then came to Jefferson County, Iowa. This was in 1846, when Iowa was yet a Territory. He remained in that county until 1852, farming the first two or three years, having three hundred and twenty acres of land. He then engaged in the mercantile business, and operated a sawmill. The company to which he belonged sank beneath the waves of financial disaster, and our subject had to foot the bills, so far as he was able, which greatly crippled him. So, in 1852, with four yoke of oxen, he crossed the plains to California, starting on the fourth day of May, and landed in California on the nineteenth day of September. Being a blacksmith by trade, he followed that for about one year, and spent the next three years mining. He then returned to Jefferson County, Iowa, making the trip to New York by water, then followed the lakes to Chicago, where he took the cars for Burlington. He remained in Jefferson County until 1855, and then came to this county.
Our subject was united in marriage in Bedford County, Pa., May 8, 1845, to Miss Elizabeth BROWN, the daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (FURRY) BROWN. Our subject and his wife are the parents of twelve children: Samuel, deceased, Mary A., Manuel H., Francis, Franklin P., Erastus M., George E., Albert E., Leonard, William B., Alice, and Minnie (deceased).
Elizabeth (BROWN) TEETER, was also born in Bedford County, Pa., September 21, 1826. Her mother died when she was but three weeks old, and she lived with her grandparents until married. She is a member of the German Baptist Church.
Mr. TEETER belongs to the Knights of Labor organization, and cast his vote with the Greenback party so long as they were in the field. He now affiliates with the People's Party.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 403-404
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
NEWLAND - George F. NEWLAND, at present a resident of section 35, Union Township, came to Harrison County, April 12, 1881, and bought the forty acres where he now lives, paying $9 per acre for it. He bought of the railroad company, and by paying for the same in a short time, got $1 per acre discount. At the same time he bought eighty-one acres in Pottawattamie County, cornering with this. He built a one-story house 16x22 feet, and commenced breaking up the prairie sod, breaking about forty-five acres the first season, and kept on from year to year, until all was under cultivation. In 1881 he sold the Pottawattamie County land, and in 1891, bought forty acres of wild land, which he planted to corn the same year. This land is in Union Township.
One of the greatest drawbacks our subject has encountered in Harrison County, was the hog cholera epidemic, which caused him to lose one hundred and eighteen head of hogs valued at $7 per head.
Mr. NEWLAND is a Buckeye, and was born in Marlow County, Ohio, August 25, 1853, and is a son of Garrett and Mary A. NEWLAND, natives of Virginia and Maryland respectively. They reared a family of nine children: Sarah M., Mary E., Ann B.; James F., Jamima, Elvina (deceased), George, Martha E., and Ervin L.
Our subject was married February 26, 1873, to Abigal L. CHENEY, daughter of Amas and Hannah CHENEY, natives of New York, who reared a family of ten children, of whom our subject's wife was the tenth child. The following gives the order of the children: Chandler, Sarah (deceased), Ithmer, Hetta, Amasa, Amos, Louisa, Alden, Asberry, Abigal L. Mr. and Mrs. NEWLAND are the parents of one child, William Sargent, born December 31, 1876, the last day of the Centennial year. Politically our subject is identified with the People's party. In religious matter he belongs to the Christian Church.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 404-405
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
PETERSON - Carl PETERSON, a skilled blacksmith, who wields his sledge and fans his forge at Persia, has the honor of erecting the first building within this village.
Mr. PETERSON was born in the north of Europe, midst the evergreen, pine and cedars, at Drammen, Norway, June 19, 1858, and remained in his native land until twenty-two years of age, when he saw visions of the New World, and sailed for America, July, 1880. Having learned the blacksmith trade in Norway, which by the way, furnishes some of our most skillful ironworkers, he came to Douglass County, Minn., where he worked at his trade a few days, and then went out harvesting, after which he returned to the blacksmith shop, where he found employment until January 1, 1881, and then went to Minneapolis, but failing to find work in that city he went to Mankato and there chopped cord wood until spring, and then engaged to do railroad blacksmithing for a contractor who had two miles of road to grade near Persia, lowa, but prior to the town site being platted. While thus engaged our subject heard them talking about locating a town on this new railroad, and concluded that he would be the first man on hand. He went to Defiance, Iowa, and staid until October and then came back to the present site of Persia before it had been surveyed and built him a blacksmith shop. He came to the locality with one hundred and fifteen dollars, but being a skillful workman, and well liked by the community, together with his temperate and frugal habits, he has made a financial success, as he owns a first class shop, with a well established business, owns a good residence in town, and an improved farm of eighty acres within a half mile of the place. He makes a special feature of plow work, and has a power emery-wheel, and all of the latest improvements, with which to carry on his business.
Our subject was married February 24, 1885, to Miss Elizabeth ATKIN, of Persia, and they are the parents of four children -- Frederick M., deceased, Iona J., an infant who died, and Leonard T.
Mrs. PETERSON was born in England January 17. 1866, where her father died, and when she was six years old, her mother came to America, and first stopped in Johnson county, Iowa, but about 1878 they came to Shelby county.
Politically, our subject is a stanch supporter of the government of his adopted country, and votes with the Democratic party.
Much credit is due to Mr. PETERSON, coming to our shores as he did only eleven years ago, unable to speak a word of English language, and without any capital, save the good trade he had learned in his native land, together with a determination to do, and to dare, in a land where honest toil always receives just reward.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 405-406
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
TUPPER - Benson TUPPER, of the firm of TUPPER Brothers, livery and feed stable, at the Village of Persia, was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., January 11, 1862, and three years later his parents moved to Carroll County, Ill., where they remained until 1877, and then came to Harrison County, Iowa, settling on section 35, Washington Township. Our subject remained with his parents until 1881, when he went to farming on his own account, renting for two years, and then bought an eighty-acre farm in Pottawattomie County, which he improved and lived upon until 1889, during which year he sold out and returned to Harrison County, and again rented a farm in Washington Township.
March 1, 1891, he formed a partnership with his brother, J. E. TUPPER, and engaged in the livery business, and they now have the only business of the kind in Persia.
Besides the different lines of business followed by Mr. TUPPER, it may be added that he has devoted some time to "teaching the young idea how to shoot " -- that is, he has taught six terms in the public schools.
He was married to Miss Anna J. PLUM, of Washington Township, April 16, 1881. They are the parents of three children: Walter L., born May 13, 1882; Harry J., July 22, 1887; and Charles B., January 30, 1890. Politically, our subject is a supporter of the Republican party. In their religious belief, Mr. and Mrs. TUPPER belong to the Christian Church.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 406-407
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
HILL - Dr. Francis M. HILL, a practicing physician, located at Persia, Iowa, is a native of the Buckeye State, and was born in Kelloggsville, Ashtabula County, Ohio, August 11, 1844, and when only sixteen years of age went to London, England, where he studied medicine at Guy's Hospital for one year, and then returned home and practiced medicine a year, and June, 1861, enlisted in the Hospital Corps, and was detached, serving as nurse and assistant steward in the hospital, and was discharged September, 1861, but returned in about two months to take his old place in the hospital. In 1862, when Buell moved up the Mississippi, our subject was in one of the hospitals on duty, but Gen. Halleck's order No. 22 found him unfit for duty, and he was booked for discharge, and, being ordered to Louisville, started for that place December 16, 1862, and on his way was overtaken and captured by that notorious raider, Morgan, and his men, who placed a rope around his neck to hang him, but through the interferance of officers the hanging was postponed, and he was taken to headquarters in the presence of Gen. John Morgan and Gen. Basil W. Duke, who treated him more like a prince than a prisoner, and sent him on his way to Owensborough , Ky., and while there asleep in a wharf boat, the rebels out a hole in the boat and came near drowning him. A hospital boat came that way and he boarded it for Louisville, arriving there on the 26th of September, and while hunting the quartermaster, went into the Gault House just as Gen. Jeff C. Davis, of Indiana, shot Gen. Nelson. From this place our subject was transferred to the parole hospital at Indianapolis, Ind., but on account of ill health was discharged. We next find him going to New York, where he remained until February, 1863, when he went to Pennsylvania and was mustered into service and put on duty at Elmira, N. Y., in the hospital, and was transferred from that place to Washington, D. C., and served in most of the hospitals in the vicinity of the National Capitol. When Richmond and Petersburg were surrounded by Grant's army, he was transferred to the Army of the Potomac, where he remained until the close of the war.
He then made a visit to Ohio, after which he went to Forkville, Sullivan County, Pa., and practiced medicine eighteen months, at the end of which time his health failed him, and January, 1868, he came to Iowa, stopping for a short time at Burlington, where he practiced medicine.
From there he went to Adams County, Iowa, remained a short time, when he removed to Shelby County, and settled at the old village of Manteno, where the Doctor will long be remembered.
He remained there until May, 1883, and then came to Persia, where he has practiced his chosen profession ever since.
He is proprietor of a drug store, and has been connected with various newspapers since 1860, and is at present connected with the Missouri Valley News.
The Doctor was married to Miss Kate KEARNS, in Afton, Union County, Iowa, October 16, 1869, by which union four children were born -- Emma O., the wife of Samuel ALTER, now living in Persia; Maude, Virgil A. and Robert B.
Politically our subject believes in the great principles of the Democratic party, believing it best serves the interests of the masses of the American people.
In their religious convictions, the Doctor and his wife are believers in the Diety of a magnanimous God. While his wife believes in the Revelation, the Doctor does not believe in the Pentateuch.
Remarkable indeed has been the vicissitudes of this man's career, leaving the place of his nativity at the youthful age of sixteen years, and braving the dangers of the ocean's deep to England, to prepare himself for his profession, which he had thus early chosen, arid his enlistment in the Union army at the very commencement of the great Civil War, his faithful professional duty in the numerous hospitals, where lay the wounded and dying; his narrow escape from being sent into eternity by the Morgan raiders, for loyalty to the old stars and stripes, as well as the successful medical practice and journalistic work, which has marked the last two decades of his life, go toward making up a life replete with historical events.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 407-408
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
TUPPER - Loring D. TUPPER, of the firm of Gamble & Tupper, general merchandise dealers at Persia, Iowa, has been a resident of Harrison County since 1876, when he settled on a farm on section 35, Washington Township, where he bought eighty acres of wild land; improved the same and lived upon it until the spring of 1891, when he sold, at the time having one hundred and twenty acres. He immediately bought J. H. Puckett's interest in the firm of Gamble & Co.
But to return to our subject's earlier life, that we may learn something concerning his career before coming to Harrison County, it will first be stated that be came from the old Keystone State, and was born July 5, 1850, in Susquehanna County, Pa., and in 1865, removed with his parents to Carroll County, Ill., where he remained until the autumn of 1872, when he went to farming for himself, continuing until 1875, and then came to Pottawattamie County, remained one winter, and then came to Harrison County where he has been an industrious and good citizen ever since.
An important event in his life occurred in Carroll County, Ill., November 18, 1872, for it was upon that day that he was united in marriage to Miss Ida B. PARKER, of Freedom Township that county.
Mr. and Mrs. TUPPER are the parents of seven children -- J. DeEtte, L. Earl, deceased, Frank P., Floyd V., L. Grant, Emma A. and Robert.
Mr. TUPPER and wife are firm believers in the Christian religion and are acceptable members of the Christian Church.
Politically, our subject is identified with the Republican party.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 408-409
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
CUTLER - William E. CUTLER, a farmer living on section 8, of Magnolia Township, (township 79, range 43,) came to Harrison County in the spring of 1853, with his parents, who were among the earliest pioneers and who settled in Magnolia Township, on section 7. He remained with his parents until the spring of 1864, when he purchased forty acres of his present farm which was partly improved, having twenty-five acres broken, and a five-room cottage upon it; also a double log stable. In 1870 he built his present residence, which is a brick structure, 28x29 feet, and two stories high. In 1885 he built a barn 40x54 feet, which holds about twenty-five tons of hay. From time to time he has added to his farm until he now has three hundred and sixty-four acres, one-third of which is under the plow, one hundred acres in timber, forty acres in meadow and the balance in pasture land.
At the time he came to Magnolia Township there were but few settlers and their nearest postoffice and trading point was Council Bluffs, while their nearest gristmill was seven miles this side of the Bluffs. During the long, never-to-be-forgotten winter of 1856-57, they lost considerable live stock by reason of the deep snow and severity of the winter. Our subject was here before a single district school house had been erected in the county, the first one being erected on section 7, directly opposite to Mr. CUTLER's barn. Our subject hauled a log to Honey Creek, ten miles north of Council Bluffs, to get lumber for the gables of this building. The first house built in the village of Magnolia was erected the same summer they came, the same being the hotel building erected by Mr. Bates; a postoffice and general store soon followed. Our subject's father paid forty per cent. interest for money with which to enter his land, but, when our subject bought his first land he paid $25 per acre for one "forty" and from $5 to $21 for the balance per acre. Nearly all the settlers the CUTLER family found when they came to the county were Mormons.
Our subject was born in Michigan, February 20, 1838, and when a small child his parents moved to Montgomery County, Ill., and when he was five years of age they moved to Fairfield, Iowa, and in 1851 to Pottawattamie County, and purchased a claim near Council Bluffs, but left the same in the spring of 1853, and came to Harrison County.
Mr. CUTLER was married in Taylor Township, September 17, 1863, to Miss Violet HALL, by whom ten children were born -- William I., September 25, 1864; Albert B., April 13, 1866; Frank E., March 5, 1868; Hattie M., February 16, 1870; George M., April 1, 1872; Charles I., January 16, 1874; Henry C., March 31,1876; Florence V., January 1, 1878; Nettie M., March 20, 1880, and Mollie G., August 20, 1882; William I. died May 5, 1865.
Violet (HALL) CUTLER was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, June 26. 1847, and in 1849 her parents moved to Tipton County, Ind., where they remained until the faIl of 1852, and then moved to Mills County, Iowa, and the spring following came to Harrison County and settled in Taylor Township.
Mr. and Mrs. CUTLER are both members of the Congregational Church, he uniting in 1863, and his wife in 1867.
Robert HALL, father of Mrs. CUTLER, was born in Armstrong County, Pa., November 2, 1808, and about 1845, came to Muskingum County, Ohio, and died in Harrison County, Iowa, May 18, 1868. He was a member of the Dunkard Church. His wife, Catherine (WARTINBEE) HALL, was also born in Armstrong County, Pa., October 5, 1818, and remained there until the day of her marriage. She left Iowa in 1881, and is now living in Crook County, Wyo. They were the parents of eight children, Mrs. CUTLER being the second child.
When her father came to Harrison County he bought a claim upon which was a double log house. He first preempted about two hundred and twenty acres. After securing his land and purchasing two cows, he had but twenty cents left. He left Indiana with a horse-team, but lost one of them on the way out. In December, 1856 -- the hard winter -- John Ingerson and his brother, (neighbors to Mr. HALL) went out hunting; it commenced to rain and sleet, then turned to snow, and set in one of the worst storms of the season, and one of the brothers was frozen to death, as was also a man by the name of Barrett. That same day Mr. CUTLER was at Calhoun, to mill, but after much trouble succeeded in making his way home.
The space is all too short in which to give an account of the many hardships endured by the pioneers of this section. But this was in their favor -- they came to a good country and the toil of their hands was usually rewarded by a bountiful harvest and provided with a good living. Doing their part manfully, Nature came to their rescue and crowned their every honest effort, making them successful husbandmen.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 409-410
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
BARRETT - Elida BARRETT, one of the leading farmers in Harrison Township, who resides on section 4, where he owns two hundred and eighty-six acres of land, which he purchased in July, 1883, and the following October moved to the same, will form the subject of this notice.
He was born in Monroe County, N. Y., February 25, 1823, and is the son of Dyer and Sarah (ROB) BARRETT, natives of New York and New Hampshire respectively, and of English-Irish extraction, but whose American history is of many generations. Our subject's parents are both deceased. The father was a farmer, consequently our subject was raised midst time scenes of rural life. Elida was the fourth child of a family of thirteen children, and is the only one, in this part of the country. When fourteen years of age he accompanied his parents to Ohio, and they located in Huron County.
Mr. BARRETT was united in September 3, 1850, to Miss Wealthy A. BLACKMAN, who was a native of Huron County, Ohio, born December 11, 1829, and is the daughter of Simeon and Wealthy (BARRET) BLACKMAN, who were natives of the Empire State, and of Scotch-English ancestry. The father has laid down the burden of life, but the mother still survives and is living in Huron County, Ohio, at the exceptionally advanced age of ninety-one years.
After the marriage of Mr. BARRETT, he located upon a farm and through the united efforts of himself and good wife they accumulated and purchased more real-estate, which they disposed of before they came to Iowa, when they purchased their present home. Our subject originally bought one hundred and ninety-six acres, to which lie has since added ninety acres, the whole constituting one of the finest farm homes in eastern Harrison County. Mr. BARRETT, like most intelligent farmers of to-day, turns his attention to a good grade of stock in connection with his general farming.
Politically, our subject exercises his right of franchise by casting his ballot with the Republican party. In 1865, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Nintety-first, Ohio Infantry. He belongs to Shields Post, No. 89, Grand Army of the Republic, Is a member of New London (Ohio) Lodge, No. 615, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The family attend time Congregational Church, and are classed among the worthy and representative families of Harrison County.
Mr. and Mrs. BARRETT are the parents of two children, -- Cassius E., who is married and the father of one child; is a traveling salesman residing in Illinois. Frank B., is a resident of Omaha, Nebraska, the proprietor of a merchant tailoring establishment, No. 318, S. 15th Street.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 414-415
Family Researcher: NA
To Bio Index
REED - William REED, one of the later settlers of Harrison County, located at the village of Persia in the spring of 1882, engaging at blacksmithing. At that time there was nothing to mark a town site, aside from McWilliams' store, the hotel and blacksmith shop -- the latter being run by Mr. Peterson. Mr. REED's family was the second family to locate in the place. He built a shop during that winter, which was 14x20 feet, but subsequently made an addition making his shop 20x44 feet. He also has a good dwelling on the place.
Our subject was born at Waterloo, Canada, March 10, 1837, and when he was twelve years old, his parents removed to Port Huron, Mich., and there remained about eight years, then removed to Saginaw County, Mich., where the family lived until 1862, when our subject came to McHenry County, Ill. Was there five years, at which time he went back to the Wolverine State, remaining until July 1870, then went by team to Kansas and Colorado, but finding nothing to suit him, he came back to Clay County Mo., amid from there to Fort Scott, Kan., where he was laid up two months by illness. We next find him in McDonough County, Ill., working at the blacksmithing trade, at the town of Macomb, where he remained six years, then came to Pottawattamie County, Iowa, lived on a rented farm one year, and from there moved over into Shelby County, where he lived a year, and then became a resident of Persia.
He was first united in marriage at Grand Haven, Mich., July 13, 1868 to Miss Alvira GREENE by whom three children were born -- Mary, Warner and James; the latter is deceased. His wife died in McDonough County, Ill. Mr. REED married for his second wife Vinia HARVEY, of Macomb, Ill., by whom two children were born -- Essie and Charles M. Their mother died in Pottawattamie County, April 9, 1880, and four years later, January 28, 1884, Mr. REED married Miss Lizzie JOHNSON, of Harrison County, who was born in Denmark, August 11, 1854 and came direct to Shelby County, Iowa, May 1881. By this marriage one child was born -- Eddie, born September 5, 1885.
Mr. and Mrs. REED are consistent members of the Church of Latter Day Saints, uniting June 8, 1887. Three of their children -- Essie, Christina, and Charles are also members.
source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 415-416
Family Researcher: NA