Home Page

Harrison County Iowa Genealogy

Biographies - 1891 History of Harrison County Iowa

Page Eighty

Stodgel | Fagan | Morgan | Sharpnack | Little | Wood | McCrillis |
Bartholomew | Hart | Howard | Ludwig


STODGEL - William C. STODGEL, a farmer living on section 8, of LaGrange Township, came to Harrison County in the spring of 1882, and settled on his present farm. He bought eighty acres of wild land, upon which he made substantial improvements, having sixty acres under the plow, and the balance in meadow and pastureland. Subsequently, he purchased forty acres on section 9, thirty acres of which is under cultivation.

Our subject was born in Clay County, Ind., August 5, 1853, and in 1856 his parents removed to Pottawattamie County, Iowa. He remained at home until he was sixteen years old, and from that time until he was of age, worked out by the month on a farm in Pottawattamie County. He then rented a farm until the spring of 1882, when he bought his present farm. He was married in Pottawattamie County, August 14, 1874, to Miss Nancy A. NICHOLLS, and they are the parents of six children: William E., Benjamin, Elizabeth, James M., Samuel F., George W. Of these children, Elizabeth, James M., and Benjamin, are deceased.

Nancy A. (NICHOLLS) STODGEL, is a native of Illinois, born September 29, 1861, and when a small girl, her parents removed to Harrison County, Iowa, where she remained until the date of her marriage.

Politically, our subject is identified with the Democratic Party. He belongs to the Mutual Protectionists, the object of which is to protect against horse thieves or other invaders.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp.535-536
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

FAGAN - Patrick FAGAN, a farmer of section 15, LaGrange Township, came to Harrison County in the spring of 1884 in company with his father's family, who settled on the farm he now occupies. They purchased two hundred and forty acres, besides thirty-five acres of timber. The farm was fairly improved when they purchased it, including a small house, corncribs, etc.

Our subject was born in Dubuque County, Iowa, March 17, 1851. His father died July 17, 1890, and he is living with his mother, and has followed agricultural pursuits for a livelihood.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 530-531
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

MORGAN - Francis H. MORGAN, STATION AGENT OF THE North-Western Railway at Dunlap, has been a resident of the place, and held such position since January 3, 1873, and was in the employ of the company five years prior to that, being agent at Denison. At Dunlap he succeeded Smith CHILD, who was agent from the time the road was built, in 1866, up to 1873. Mr. MORGAN is also American Express agent. Our subject hails from the Empire State, and was born July 5, 1845, on Long Island, New York. He is the son of James H. and Caroline (CAMP) MORGAN, who died while our subject was yet a small boy. When twelve years of age he came to Iowa with a sister, and located in Howard County, at a time when all was new and wild, and there was not a grist mill within forty miles of them, and the few settlers came from far and near to get corn and wheat ground in a large coffee-mill they had. The family saw the rough side of pioneer life, and when they came to the State they crossed the Mississippi River on the ice, making part of their trip from there on by the stage, and the balance by ox teams. After living five years in Howard county they removed to Madison, Wisconsin, where our subject went into a printing office, but when seventeen years of age commenced learning telegraphy, but before his year's engagement was up, and on May 23, 1864, he enlisted in the "hundred-day service," becoming a member of Company D, Fortieth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged September 20, 1864, after which he returned to take up telegraphy at Edgerton, Wisconsin, on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul line, for which he was operator for five months at that point and was transferred to Mazomanie, Wisconsin, where he remained a year, and the went to Beloit, Wisconsin, for the Chicago & North Western line, where he was both clerk and operator for three years and four months, after which he was express agent one year at Madison, and in 1868 came to Denison, Iowa, as above related. He was married at Mazomanie September 23, 1869, to Mary E. COWDERY, born July 18, 1849, and the daughter of Henry A., and Ruth (WHITCHER) COWDERY. Politically our subject is a stanch Republican.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 528
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

SHARPNACK - Hon. William M. SHARPNACK, dealer in grain and agricultural implements at Modale, came to the county with his father, John SHARPNACK, who in 1854 filed a Swamp Land claim in Clay Township.

Our subject was born in Wetzel County, W. V., January 13, 1850, and is the son of John and Sarah (MINOR) SHARPNACK, both natives of West Virginia. In the fall of 1850 they moved to Washington County, Iowa, and remained until they came to Harrison County in 1854. In the spring of 1860 our subject's father sold out in Clay Township and entered one hundred and sixty acres where Modale now stands on sections 30 and 31, of Taylor Township. The same spring with his family he went to Pike's Peak, but returned in the fall, and in the spring of 1861 moved to his place, and there remained until the fall of 1865, when he sold out and went into the sawmill business on the river in Cincinnati Township. Our subject remained at home with his parents until the spring of 1871, at which time he was married, but still worked with his father on the farm. In the spring of 1871 they sold out the mill and came back to Taylor Township, and bought eighty acres of land on section 30, and in the spring of 1874 they moved over near Blair, Neb., where the father had bought a half interest in a sawmill, and where by accident he was killed in the mill the following autumn. The mother sold out over there and came back to the farm which our subject took charge of, and run until the fall of 1880. He then engaged in the hardware business at Modale, and continued until January, 1883, when he sold out and engaged in the grain business, and in the spring following formed a partnership with F. H. LUDWIG in the grain and stock business. Our subject sold his interest to Mr. LUDWIG in the fall of 1884, but continued the business for Mr. LUDWIG that winter, and in the spring of 1885 moved to the farm and remained one season. In December, 1885, he was appointed Postmaster, and in January, 1886, he formed a partnership with J. G. GILCHRIST in the hardware and implement business. The June following he sold out to GILCHRIST and a few days later GILCHRIST sold to C.S.BROWN, and our subject remained with him as clerk. In the fall of 1886 he and Mr. BROWN became partners in the grain business, and continued until the fall of 1888, when he bought BROWN out. In January, 1890, our subject sold his interest in his hardware business to C. SCHRODER.

Mr. SHARPNACK was united in marriage in Harrison County, Iowa, February14, 1871, to Miss Jane HAMMER, the daughter of Jacob and Cynthia HAMMER. By this union one child was born�Ella, born August 23, 1872, and the mother died the same day. For his second wife Mr. SHARPNACK, on January 1, 1874, married Miss Susan e. WEST, the daughter of Edwin and Susan (ROCORD) WEST. By this union five children have been born�Effie I., John E., Charles F., William I. and Laura B.

Susan (WEST) SHARPNACK was born in Jackson County, Iowa, December 24, 1856, and her parents came to Harrison County at an early day. Mrs. SHARPNACK is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Mr. SHARPNACK is a member of the Odd Fellows Order, belonging to Mondamin Lodge, No. 392.

The father of our subject, as before stated, was killed in the mill in Nebraska in the fall of 1874, and was buried at Calhoun. The mother subsequently married in August, 1884, John Ingram and resided at Cameron, W. Va. She died February 2, 1890, and is buried at Cameron. They were the parents of three children�two sons and one daughter, our subject being the eldest in the family.

Politically our subject is a Democrat and has held the office of Township Clerk for ten years. In the fall of 1888 he made the race on the Democratic ticket for the office of County Recorder. He had about two hundred and fifty votes to overcome and was only defeated by about fifty votes. He has voted nineteen times in Taylor Township, always casting a straight Democratic ballot and is known to be a political fighter "from way back," and only held the post office ten days after the change in the administration, and was probably an offensive partisan. At the general election of 1891, he was elected State Representative by a majority of four hundred and seventeen votes.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 525-526
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

LITTLE - Martin F. LITTLE, a resident of section 4, Jefferson Township, arrived in Harrison County, October 4, 1855, and moved to his present place in August, 1867.

We find that Martin F. LITTLE is a descendant of David LITTLE, who was born in Botetourt, Virginia, November 8, 1797, and he was a son of David and Peggy LITTLE. He was married to Charity E. ROSS in Tennessee. She was born in North Carolina, February 10, 1803, and they had a family of three sons, Martin F., our subject, born September 21, 1833; Calvin V., born in Overton County, Tenn., June 27, 1836, and died in Indian Territory, February 15, 1889; Daniel A., born in Overton County, Tenn., November 22, 1840, and died in Kansas in February, 1882.

David LITTLE, the father of our subject, located in Tennessee in 1830, and came West with his family, locating in Mills County, Iowa, in November, 1854, and one year later came to Harrison County and settled on a farm at Harris Grove, where he remained six years and then removed to Whitesboro, Jefferson Township, and there died March 31, 1863. His wife was Charity E. (VICKER) ROSS. David LITTLE was not a rugged man, and at the time our subject became old enough, the care of the family naturally devolved upon him. He took care of the homestead, and in the spring of 1860, purchased his present home. On August 14, 1861, and just four months after Ft. Sumter had been fired upon, he enlisted from Harrison County, as a member of the Second Iowa Light Artillery Battery, under Captain N. T. SPOOR, and First Lieutenant J. R. REED (now Judge). Our subject's brother, Calvin V. LITTLE, also enlisted, and while in battle acting as "No. 2," was wounded in the arm. Martin F. was acting as "No. 6," but was at the front at the time his brother was wounded. After having faithfully served as a Union soldier for three years, Mr. LITTLE was discharged at Davenport, Iowa, August 30, 1864, when he returned to his home.

. He was united in marriage to Miss Mary M. ROWE, January 30, 1866. She was a native of Virginia, born April 6, 1846, and was the daughter of Abbott and Annie (DILES) ROWE, and was of a family of eight children. Mr. and Mrs. LITTLE are the parents of four children: David A., born March 12, 1866; Amanda E., born August 16, 1867; Anna A., born November 6, 1869; Maggie M., born October 17, 1871. David A., Married Edith LYONS March 11, 1891; Maggie M. married J. Orville BARTHOLOMEW, January 1, 1891, Amanda E. and Anna are both teachers.

After the death of Calvin V. LITTLE, (the brother of our subject) our subject and his wife took his four children to raise�one girl, Vazera M., having been married prior to this time. The other children's names are as follows: Joseph., Ira I., Eva E., and Laura E.

Politically our subject has always voted the Republican ticket, except in two instances: one for Prohibition, and one for the People's ticket, and in his own language, his political belief is as follows: "I believe in equal rights, and have tried to organize a Labor and Capital Club. I believe that all money should bear the same rate of interest, and that all manual labor should receive the same compensation for the time employed. That any knowledge possessed which leads to the performance of any kind of labor, skilled or otherwise, should be the same as money at interest, and that the possessors should be compensated for their knowledge, according to their efficiency. I believe that any and all forms on money should only be based on labor products, and that any other form of money is ruinous to the laboring class; consequently certificates of deposit should be the only money in circulation. I believe that all our laws should be repealed and comprehensive laws enacted in their stead, in the place of the present voluminous and incomprehensible laws of the present. Further, that every law should be submitted to the people for their approval, regardless of party politics, and that none should be entitled to vote except they have proper educational qualifications, and lastly, that all laws enacted by the Legislature should be published in at least one local paper in each county, that the rank and file of the voting population be enlightened as to the full text of such laws."

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 523-524
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

WOOD- Irving C. WOOD, M.D. practicing at Logan, Iowa,came to Harrison County in 1881. Was born in Franklin, Delaware County, NY, March 9, 1857, and is a son of R. S. and Susan (MANN) WOOD. The grandfather, Charles WOOD, who was a farmer by occupation, is still living in New York State, at the age of ninety years. Our subject's grandfather WOOD had three children, of whom Rufus, our subject's father was the oldest, and he married Susan MANN, by which union two children were born, of whom our subject was the older. His early life was spent in Franklin, Delaware County, NY, where he attended the common schools, graduating from the Delaware Literary Institute, at Franklin, in 1875, after which he taught two years, and then began the study of medicine, with Dr. T. M. EDWARDS; then attended lectures in the University of New York City, and finished his course in Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1880. He remained in the Hospital at that place one year, as assistant surgeon, and took a special course in surgery, and began the practice of medicine, at Woodbine, Iowa in WOOD-1881, remaining two years, and then came to Logan, where he has since built up a large, lucrative practice, and has been very successful in the practice of the healing art.
He was married May 12, 1886 at Logan, Iowa, to Miss Florence M. BOLTER, Only daughter of Sentor L. R. BOLTER, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Mrs. WOOD is a graduate of St. Frances Academy, at Council Bluffs, and is a member of the Catholic church.

Dr. WOOD held the office of Coroner of Harrison County, for two terms. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, is amember of Blue Lodge No. 420; Royal Arch Chapter, and Ivanhoe Commandery of Knights Templar, at Council Bluffs.

The Doctor is company surgeon for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad; examining surgeon of the United States Pension Board, and belongs to the Iowa State Medical Society; the National Association of Railway Surgeons, and is a member of the committee on organization of The Inter-Continental Medical Congress.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp.822
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

MC CRILLIS- John MC CRILLIS (retired), came to Harrison County in November, 1869, and settled at the village of Calhoun. He had been to the county prior to this and had bought a house and lot in Calhoun and also twenty acres of timber-land. In the spring of 1870, he rented land near Calhoun but lived in the village until the next spring, when he removed to a two hundred and fouty-acre tract of wild land, on section 28, of Taylor Township. Here he bult a frame house which was boarded up and down, the same being 16x24 feet. He broke forty acres of this land in 1870 and in the autumn of 1887 provided the place with a good barn. The farm now consists of three hundred and twenty acres, divided into two equal farms. The homestead is occupied by his son, Monroe, while a renter operates the other. Our subject removed to Modale in the month of February, 1887, where he makes it his home with his daughter, Mrs. MARTIN.

Mr. MC CRILLIS was born in Vanderburg County, Indiana, December 24, 1825, and is the son of William and Cyntha (SHULTZ) MC CRILLIS> The father died when our subject was a small boy, and he remained at home with his mother until 1853. His mother married for her second husband a man by the name of Henry JAMES, and they removed to Jefferson County, Iowa, in 1840. They halted two days and two nights, where the busy city of Burlington now stands, which at that time only had two houses. They could get no accommodations consequently they slept out of doors. At that point they hired two teams to convey them to Jefferson County. In 1853, our subject removed to a farm that he had bought some time previous and had operated before the death of his step-father. In 1868 he sold and removed to Mills County, Iowa, where he purchaased eighty acres of wild land, but upon finding that there were no school facilities, he did not improve this land, but rented a farm for one year, during which time he sold his place, and in November, 1869, came to this county.

He was married in Jefferson County, Iowa, December 8, 1853, to Miss Elizabeth CRENSHAW, the daughter of John and Martha (CADWELL) CRENSHAW. Elizabeth (CRENSHAW) MC CRILLIS was born in Illinois and when young she accompanied her parents to Jefferson County, Iowa. She died in Taylor Township, Harrison County, September 101, 1873, and was buried in the cemetery at Calhoun. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject and his wife were the parents of three children�Casper, Rosina and Monroe, who are living; five are buried in the cemetery at Calhoun.

During the Civil War our subject formed a company of Home Guards, and received a commission from Gov. STONE, as its Captain.

Politically Mr. MC CRILLIS votes for the man and not the party, believing that the best men should hold public office.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 822 & 827
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

BARTHOLOMEW- Samuel C. BARTHOLOMEW, who is prominently known throughout Harrison County as one of the representative citizens and well-to-do farmes, is a resident of Jackson Township. He is a leader in those projects that tend to progression in moral as well as in financial matters. He came to the county in September, 1870, with a capital of but $125, and an eighty-acre tract of land , which he had previously purchased. He came to the county with his family nestled within a covered wagon drawn by one span of horses. He at once set about building for himself a home, and one who surveys his goodly possessions to-day can testify as to the success he has made. His farm is among the best in the county, and everything about the premises gives evidence of a thrifty, painstaking husbandman who, be it said to his credit, has carved out his own fortune.

That the reader may know of his earlier history�of that period of his life prior to his coming to Harrison County�it may be stated that he was born in Ripley County, Indiana, January 6, 1845. He is the son of James and Mary (ALDEN) BARTHOLOMEW. His father was a native of Essexshire, England, and came to America, settling in Dearborn County, IN, where he was united in marriage to Miss Mary ALDEN, a native of the last-named county, and the daughter of Samuel J. ALDEN, who is a direct descendant of the famous puritan, John ALDEN, who came over in the "Mayflower" in 1620, and who is the hero of Longfellow's poem so highly prized in American literature.

Our subject, S. C. BARTHOLOMEW, was the second child of a family of three born to his parents. When eight years of age he went to live with a man named Stillman RANSOM, in Ripley County, IN, where he remained five years, at the end of which time he went to live with his grandfather, Samuel J. ALDEN and there remained until he was seventeen years old, at which time (August 13, 1862) he enlisted in Company G, Eighty-third Indiana Volunteer Infantry and served two years and ten months, when the civil conflict closed. He was discharged June 13, 1865, at Washington, D.C. During his service Mr. BARTHOLOMEW participated in the battles of Chickasaw Bayou, December 28, 1862; Arkansas Post, January 11, 1863; Battle of Vicksburg; Jackson, Miss. He then returned to Memphis and went to Chattanooga, and took part in the Battle of Mission Ridge, Battle of Resaca, and Kenesaw Mountain. He was also at the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864, when Gen. MC PHERSON was killed. Also July 28, 1864, at Atlanta, which was the hottest engaggement he ever experienced. He was also with SHERMAN on his famous "March to the Sea." After being discharged he returned to his old home and for a time worked for his grandfather. He then attended a graded school at Greensburgh, Decatur County, IN, for seven months, then worked out for awhile and commenced farming on a piece of land with his brother, James L., who a year later came West and located in Monona County, Iowa. S.C., of whom this notice is written, remained in Indiana another year, and we next find him in Harrison County, Iowa, located on section 7, of Boyer Township, upon eighty acres of land, where he farmed until 1873, when he sold out and invested his money in cattle, which proved to be the foundation for his present home. For two years he rented the Graham farm in Monona County, and came to Jackson Township in May, 1875. He now possesses eleven hundred and fifty acres of choice land in Jackson Township. Three hundred acres are under the plow, while the balance is in timber, pasture, and meadow land. His fine faarmhouse was built in the summer of 1888. It is a two story structure, 24x28 feet, with an addition. It is looked upon as the best house withiin the township, and was erected at an expense of $3,000.

Mr. BARTHOLOMEW was married July 4, 1869, in Ripley County, Indiana, to Mrs. Christina (ERTEL) CLARK, who had two children by her former husband. Mr. CLARK. The names of the children were Henry L., deceased, and Ida May, now Mrs. William ARTHUR, Jr., of Jackson Township.

Mr. And Mrs. BARTHOLOMEW are the parents of James Orval, born February 29, 1868, and now residing in Jackson Township; he married Maggie LITTLE, of Jefferson; Clara A., born January 7, 1873; Charles Albert, February 11, 1875; Mary A., April 2, 1877; Gracie B., May 6, 1886.

Mr. BARTHOLOMEW has been prominent in political circles, and in the 1891 campaign was a candidate for repreesentative on the Independent ticket, receiving five hundred and eighty nine votes. He did not expect to be elected, hence was not disappointed. But his canvass proved him to be a strong man, and one who is thoroughly honest in his political dealings, and he stands high among men of all political faiths.

When one reviews the career of this gentleman, and the success he has made in Harrison County, they are impressed with the thought that industry and honesty are almost certain of final reward.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp.835&836
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

HART- Hon. Franklin W. HART, Attorney-at-law, real estate and loan broker, at Logan, Iowa, is a native of Michigan and came to Iowa in 1862, and to Harrison County, in 1883. He was born in Branch County, Michigan, in 1840, and is a son of I. D. and Emeline (LEWIS) HART, natives of Connecticut and Vermont. They reared a family of nine children, eight of whom still survive. Our subject's early life was spent in the Wolverine State, and his education received in the common schools, and the select schools at Ottawa, IL, and in 1863, he went to Cornell College, at Mt. Vernon, Iowa. In 1864, he enlisted in Company I, Forty-sixth Iowa Infantry, and served as a private in the Army of the West. After graduating at Mt. Vernon in 1869 he studied law undr Maj. THOMPSON. In 1881, our subject was nominated by acclamation and elected by a large majority in Linn County, Iowa, as a member of the House of Representatives, on the Republican ticket.

He was united in marriage at Missouri Valley, February, 1889, to Miss Causine KERN, daughter of Dr. Henry R. and Mary E. (DUVALL) KERN, both of whom are deceased.

Our subject is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Belongs to the Masonic Lodge, the G.A.R. Post; the Legion of Honor and a college society. He was a member of Gov. LARRABEE'S staff, during his four years' administration and held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Mr. HART is a man well informed and is widely and favorably known throughout IOWA.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp.837&838
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

HOWARD- W. T. HOWARD, Clerk of the Courts of Harrison County, is a native of Pennsylvania, born February, 1847, in Mercer County, and came to Harrison County in 1870. He is the son of Samuel and Jane HOWARD, natives of the Keystone State, now living at Forest City, Iowa. Our subject's early life was spent in Iowa, receiving his education in the common schools, and at the Upper Iowa University. In 1870 he established a harness business at Dunlap, which he continued to operate for twenty-one years, and while a resident of that place served as Mayor for four years, President of the School Board, and in the autumn of 1890, at the general election was elected to the office of Clerk of the Courts, by a majority of two hundred and eighty-eight, he being the Democratic nominee, and ran sixty-six votes ahead of his ticket.

Mr. HOWARD was united in marriage in October, 18870, at Denison, Iowa, to Mary E. EATON. Mr. And Mrs. HOWARD are the parents of two children�Nellie L. born in 1877, and Edwin E., in 1887.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp.838
Family Researcher: Pat Cox Strnot
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

LUDWIG- Francis H. LUDWIG, a prominent business man at Modale, will form the subject of this sketch. When men move from one section to another, they do so for the purpose of bettering their condition, and usually the men in the prime of their young manhood who left some one of the Eastern or Middle States and cast their lot with the pioneers of the Mississippi or Missouri Valley, made a good exchange. Not that all men prosper, even in the great and growing West, but they are offered better opportunities, and men of ability to achieve something in life worthy of note, most generally succeed better in a new country. But work, hard work, must be the lot of every man, whether it be in the gaining of wealth or knowledge. It may be said that our subject came from Ohio in December in 1869, with no means save a pair of strong arms and a determination to win in the great conflict of life. The express purpose for which he came to these parts, was to engage in chopping wood on the Missouri bottoms.

Mr. Ludwig was born in Columbia County, PA, July 14, 1847. He is the son of Eli and Hannah (BOIES) LUDWIG, both natives of the Keystone State. The father was born in Columbia County, and the mother in Burks County. Our subject was born at Bloomsburgh, the county seat. Eli LUDWIG, the father, was a carpenter by trade, and when Francis H. was eight years of age, removed to a farm in Hancock County, Ohio. He received his education in Pennsylvania and Ohio. His father died in Ohio in 1863. In 1869, our subject came to Boone, Iowa, remained a short time, and came on to Modale in December, and was compelled to walk from Missouri Valley to Modale, as he had run short of funds. He followed chopping wood and working by the month on a farm until the spring of 1870, and then went to Taylor and Fremont Counties, where he worked that summer. In the spring of 1871 he rented a farm in Clay Township, of Ethan COLE, and remained there until 1872, when he bought two hundred and eighty acres of land on sections 25 and 36, in Clay Township, having previously purchased forty acres on section 26, of the township. He remained on the farm until the fall of 1873, when he engaged in the warehouse and grain business at Modale to remain premanently, having sold his land, which amounted to over seventeen hundred acres. Since living at Modale, he has been the business partner of Al PURCELL, under the firm of F.H. LUDWIG & Co., W. M. SHARPNACK, and W. A..SHARPNACK & Co. as sole proprietor of the business. At various times he has been engaged in lumber, grain, hadrware and general merchandising.

He was united in marriage in 1876, to Elizabeth ANDERSON, daughter of J. J. and Sarah (LONG) ANDERSON, who came to the county in November, 1866. Mr. And Mrs. LUDWIG are the parents of one child, T. O. M. LUDWIG, born August 26, 1877.

Our subject is a Republican in his political views, but had never aspired to any office, preferring at any time to attend to his own business pursuits. During the days of the Iowa State Grange he belonged to that organization, which is the only society to which he has ever belonged. Through business foresight and untiring energy, he has accumulated a handsome competency, at the present time owning lands in various parts of the county, as well as in other states, and unlike many a well-to-do man has never received but about $300 from any source outside of his own business exertion and labor. He stands high in the community in which he lives, for his square dealing and honor�his word being as good as a bond. In addition to his merchandising house, he is proprietor of the grain elevator and roller mill at Modale, as well as being a lumber and coal dealer. He also publishes a local trade journal called the Pride. The history of Modale proper contains much concerning Mr. LUDWIG.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp.838-839
Family Researcher: NA


Return to Harrison County Home Page