|Harrison County Iowa Genealogy|
Page Seventy Eight
McCrillis | Berkley | Hanneman | Weston | Hickox | Patterson | Goodrich
McCRILLIS - Jasper McCRILLIS, a farmer and stock-raiser, making a specialty of Registered Poland-China swine and thoroughbred Short-horn cattle, residing in Magnolia Township, came to Harrison County with his parents in the autumn of 1870, at which time they settled in the village of Calhoun. His father, John McCRILLIS, finally bought a farm in Taylor Township and our subject remained with him until 1875; here he attended the common schools as well as the High School at Magnolia after which he taught nine terms and then worked his father's place on shares, continuing there until 1886, when he bought a farm of two hundred acres of improved land on sections35 and 36, of Raglan Township, and remained on this until March 5, 1890, when he bought a residence in the village of Magnolia, where he has remained ever since. There he purchased a lot of ten acres adjoining the town plot; seven acres of this is in a fine orchard. Of his farm, eighty acres are under the plow, while the balance is in pasture and meadow land.
Our subject was born in Jefferson County, Iowa, October 22, 1854, and remained there until 1868, then the family removed to Mills County. Mr. McCRILLIS came to Harrison County, in 1870; he was married there October 2, 1881, to Miss Mary Z. BESSIRE. Mr. and Mrs. McCRILLIS are the parents of five children; Clarence W., Essie M., Harvey R., Florence and Verna. Mrs. McCRILLIS was born in Allen County, Ohio, February 28, 1863, and with her parents, came to this county in 1875. She is an acceptable member of the Congregational Church at Magnolia.
Politically, our subject is identified with the Democratic Party. He belongs to Magnolia Lodge, No. 126, of the Masonic order.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 504-505
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
BERKLEY - Samuel L. BERKLEY, one of the business men of Woodbine engaged in the sale of drugs at that place, is the son of Thomas J., and Nancy (DeLONG) BERKLEY, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Samuel L., was born March 30, 1864, in Washington County, Ohio, and removed with his parents to Magnolia, Iowa, where they spent about four years, and then removed to Missouri Valley, but located in Woodbine in 1882. He attended the private and public schools, and when sixteen years of age was engaged as a clerk in a dry-goods establishment at Missouri Valley, where he remained two years, and then entered the employ of C. D. STEVENS, of Woodbine, with whom he was associated for seven years. November 1, 1889, in company with Dr. BUXTON, he purchased the GIDDINGS drug store, under the firm name of S. L. BERKLEY & Co., who carry a full line of drugs, paints, wall paper and school supplies. They carry a stock of $3,500, and the first year of their business they sold over $6,000 worth of goods, and their trade is constantly increasing under their careful management. Mr. BERKLEY has passed an examination and become a registered pharmacist.
Mr. BERKLEY was united in marriage, April 26, 1888, to Ruby A. Kling of Woodbine, who is the daughter of J. R. and Emily (BLISS) KLING. She was born February 12, 1864, in Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. BERKLEY are the parents of two children�Hugh K., born September 6, 1889; Lawrence J., September 18, 1891. They are both members of the Baptist Church, and he is the present Superintendent of the Sabbath-school.
Politically, he is identified with the Republican Party, and is the present City Recorder of Woodbine. He is one of the leading young business men of Eastern Harrison County' is active in church and Sabbath-school work, and was President of the Harrison County Sabbath-school Association for two years.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 498-499
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
HANNEMAN - Henry HANNEMAN, Jr., of Calhoun Township, a farmer residing on section 16, of this same township, has been a resident of Harrison County since the month of October, 1855, his father settling in Magnolia Township at that time, and is still a resident there. Henry was born January 23, 1855, in Indianapolis, Ind., and was but a mere babe when his parents emigrated to Harrison County, and thus truly it may be said, "he had grown up with the country." When his father, Henry HANNEMAN, Sr., came to the county it was very wild and new, Council Bluffs being their nearest mail and market point, and prices were not in keeping with the present day quotations; for our subject relates now that upon one occasion his father took a load of corn to Council Bluffs and brought back a bushel of salt. Game was very plenty, and our subject well remembers after he was quite a lad, of seeing elk and deer. He attended the district schools, common to Harrison County at an early day, which were held in log houses, and he relates how that he, with the other scholars, saw the soldiers, who were going South to put down the Civil War, march proudly by the old log school house.
Henry assisted on the old homestead, and remained under the paternal roof until twenty-two years of age, when he was married and commenced farming on his own account upon land owned by his father. In April, 1881, he purchased his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres, upon which there had been some improvements made, but without buildings. He moved to this place in the summer of 1883 a house from off his father's place, to which he made an addition, and the following fall moved to his new home. In the summer of 1889 he built a barn 34x40 feet, having sixteen�foot posts. He generally keeps about thirty head of cattle, and a corresponding number of swine, farming a part of his own and a part of his father's land.
He was united in marriage November 27, 1877, to Theresa SCHUELZKY, a native of Prussia, born February 19, 1856, and the daughter of Frederick and Mary SCHUELZKY, who is the fourth child of a family of seven children, six of whom grew to their majority. Her people came to America in the spring of 1869, landing in New York, and from there came to Franklin County, Iowa, where her father farmed until the winter of 1887, and then went to Thayer County, Neb., where his wife died October 11, 1889, and December 2 of the same year their youngest daughter, Anna M., closed her eyes to earthly scenes. Her older sister, who was married and living at Davenport, Neb., died September 8, 1889. The father came to Harrison County, and died April 8, 1890.
Mr. and Mrs. HANNEMAN are the parents of six children, all living at this time�Mary M., born September 29, 1878; Anna Catherine, born May 15, 1881; John Henry, born March 21, 1883; Charles F., born February 28, 1885; William Homer, born March 15, 1887, and Theresa Henrietta, born May 20, 1889.
Our subject and his wife are members of the Evangelical Church, and politically Mr. HANNEMAN is a Republican.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 499-500
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
WESTON - John A. WESTON has been a resident of Harrison County since November, 1857, and is now a resident in the extreme Northwest corner of Jefferson Township, his farm being in section 6, township 79, range 43.
Upon coming to the county he purchased eighty acres of land, at first lived in a "dug out," then built a log cabin, on the site of his present house to which was added a frame kitchen. During the season of the year 1858, he had three acres of breaking done, for which he paid $18 he made a ditch fence on two sides and a rail fence on the remaining sides. Here he has lived and labored continuously ever since, except one and a half years, which he spent at his trade (carpentering) at Cincinnati during the war.
Mr. WESTON was born in Tolland County, Conn., on December 22, 1825, and is the youngest of a family of nine children, and fortunately is enabled to trace his ancestry back to 1635, soon after the landing of the Mayflower, when Edmund WESTON came to Plymouth, Mass., and settled in Duxbury. In the year 1644, John WESTON, then a lad of thirteen years, came from England landing at Salem, Mass., and later removed to Reading of the same state, where he married Sarah FITCH. He died in 1723, at the advanced age of ninety-two. He had four sons; John, Samuel, Stephen, and Thomas. This is as far as the family record can be traced, until we strike Jonathan WESTON, the father of Timothy WESTON, who was the father of our subject.
Timothy was born in Willington, Conn., May 22, 1775, and died in Rockville, Conn., December 5, 1838. His wife, Thankful CADWELL, was born in Hartford, Conn., June 20, 1781, and died May 2, 1857, at Vernon, Conn.
They had a family of nine children�George C., William, Rudolphus, Elisha, Wealthy, Elisa, Orson, Phoebe, and John A., the subject of this sketch, who was born in Willington, Conn., December 22,1825, and when twelve years of age went with his older brother to Rockville.
When sixteen years of age he went to Illinois with his brother William and started to learn the carpenter's trade, remaining there three years, then returned to Connecticut, working at his trade two years and a half, and then went to Cincinnati, Ohio, remaining there and at Lawrenceburg, working in a sash and blind factory until failing health caused him to come West. He arrived at Florence, Neb., remaining there and at Omaha one summer, which brought him to the autumn of 1857, at which time he came to Harrison County.
He was married November 11, 1848, to Amelia LEWIS, a native of Indiana and the daughter of Jonathan and Nancy (BONHAM) LEWIS, who were natives of Tennessee. She was born November 22, 1824, and died February 7, 1887. Mr. and Mrs. WESTON are the parents of four children�Emily E., born September 11, 1849, died February 8, 1888; Edwin A. is married and lives on a farm with his father; Willie E., born June 21, 1855, died June 10, 1857; Jennie C., born December 28, 1857, died January 8, 1864.
Our subject is politically a Republican, believing that that party best serves the interests of the people of this country. Religiously Mr. and Mrs. WESTON were believers in the orthodox faith. His wife was a Presbyterian and he held to the Baptist faith.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 513-514
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
HICKOX - Sylvester L. HICKOX, who is one of the pioneer settlers of Harrison Township, and who came to the county in the spring of 1868, will form the subject of this notice.
He was born in Fair Haven, Conn., March 19, 1825, the son of Darius and Ann (LOYD) HICKOX, natives of England and Connecticut, respectively. The father was born in England in 1779, and died November 10, 1840. He was married in 1820, to Anna LOYD, who was born in the town of Stratford, in 1803, and died March 31, 1849. The father was a traveling salesman for a map-publishing concern. Sylvester L., our subject, was reared in Connecticut, and at the age of sixteen, engaged at the carriage trade, working at this for five years, and then formed a partnership with a Mr. OLMSTEAD, with whom he was associated for two years, after which our subject assumed full control and conducted the business for twenty years, manufacturing all kinds of buggies and carriages. After disposing of his business, he removed to this county, where he has since resided. Our subject had no capital with which to commence life save good business qualifications and plenty of pluck, two leading factors in any branch of business. His life has been a success, as is evinced from his present home surroundings.
Mr. HICKOX was married May 2, 1849, to Mary WHITE BISSELL, who was born in Schoharie County, N. Y., February 10, 1827. She is the daughter of George C. and Elizabeth (WHITE) BISSELL. The former was born in Bolton, Conn., July 20, 1792, and died in December, 1882. He was the son of George and Lois (CONE) BISSELL. Elizabeth (WHITE) BISSELL was born in South Hadley, Mass., January 27, 1800, and died in May, 1867. She was a direct descendant of Peregrine White, the first child born on the Mayflower. The father of Mrs. HICKOX followed various pursuits for a livelihood, being a stone-mason by trade. He also followed farming, school teaching, was an instructor of vocal music, and a temperance lecturer. Our subject and his wife are the parents of three children�Anna E., born May 3, 1851, wife of Dr. Dwight SATTERLEE, o Dunlap; Edward I., born March 18, 1856, who died march 11, 1890. While he was in the employ of the railroad company he fell from the top of the train, the cars passing over his left leg, severing the main artery; Robert N., born April 7, 1864, dying November 10, 1864.
Mr. and Mrs. HICKOX are consistent Christians, belonging to the Congregational Church, and always assisting in every Christian work, he having been Deacon for sixteen years.
Politically, he has always been a Republican, and has officially represented his township as trustee, member of the school board, etc.
Mr. HICKOX first came to the county alone in the autumn of 1867, thoroughly investigated the country, and brought his family here the following spring, when he made a purchase of eighty acres of land, on section 21, of Harrison Township, of which twenty-five acres have been broken; and this was all that distinguished this track of land from the vast sea of prairie grass surrounding it. There were only three houses to be seen, in any direction, and the scene was indeed one of rare beauty, yet not to be fully appreciated by this New England family, who had been reared within a cozy home, nestled in among the New England Hill where the landscape was ever a feast to the eye. Our subject at once began the erection of a building, first building his barn, which he arranged to live in until his house was completed. His farmhouse was a frame structure 20x30 feet, with fourteen-foot posts and was the first of its kind built in this part of the county. This served to stimulate others and soon the country began to put on a different appearance, and neat farm-houses sprang into existence in all direction; but to Mr. HICKOX is due the credit of setting an example. The first two or three years of their residence in the county, they had little produce to sell, but managed to turn off a small quantity of garden truck, and were compelled to pay extravagant price for all of what they could not raise. For instance, they paid $1.00 for four pounds of granulated sugar; $1.00 for four pounds of dried peaches; with coffee, flour, dress goods and muslins all correspondingly high. They were compelled to undergo nearly all of the hard ships co-incident with pioneer life; but all has changed under the influences of civilization. The transition was great. The great prairie sea, with its blooming flowers and wild animals, has been transformed into a fertile, well-tilled garden-spot, where every quarter section of land has a beautiful farm-house with groves and orchards surrounding them, and all bespeak of culture and prosperity. All of these early sacrifices must needs have been made. No one appreciates this wondrous change more than our subject and his good wife, who came from New England to become pioneers in Western Iowa. They can now look out upon a well-settled country, and view large trees of their own planting, while their fields are waving with golden grain.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 501-502
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
PATTERSON - S. J. PATTERSON, M.D. (Portrait), of the Dunlap Bank, has been intimate enough with the comings and goings of Harrison county's people to entitle him to a biographical notice in this connection:
He is a native of Franklin County, Pa., born at Mercersburg on the 1st of March, 1843, the son of James and Sarah (AGNEW) PATTERSON, natives of Lancaster and Fulton Counties respectively, and of Scotch-Irish descent. The mother died in 1844 at the age of thirty-seven and the father at the age of sixty in 1858. They reared a family of nine children, two of whom died in infancy. Our subject was next to the youngest of the children. His early life was spent in the Keystone State, on his father's farm until he was fourteen years of age, at which time he entered school, preparatory to taking a thorough collegiate course. On the breaking out of the Rebellion, in 1861, he is company with three of his schoolmates, decamped in the night from Tuscarora Academy, and went to Harrisburg, and enlisted as members of Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Pennsylvania Infantry. This enlistment was August 2, 1862, and our subject was mustered out of service May 20, 1863, during which period he participated in the following engagements; Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and minor engagements. He was at Anteater but did not participate in that struggle. Soon after his return from the United States service, he began the study of medicine at Chambersburg, Pa., under Dr. J. C. RICHARDS, and John MONTGOMERY, graduating in 1867, from Bellevue Hospital, Medical College New York City. He first located in Watsontown, Pa., where he practiced his profession, about one year and then came to Dunlap, after having made a detour through several States in search of a location. He dates his location at Dunlap from June, 1868, and in 1869, associated himself with Dr. Dwight SATTERLEE, in the drug business, which they conducted in connection with their practice. They erected a frame structure for their business house, the same being one of the oldest in the place. This partnership existed until 1882, when our subject sold his interest to his partner. During the next three years, he confined himself almost exclusively to the practice of medicine, but at that time gave it up and accepted the position of cashier of the Dunlap Bank, which position he still holds. He had purchased an interest in this banking house in 1878, and the same year they erected the present bank building. He is also President of the Opera House Company, which was formed in 1884, and was also one of the organizers of the Dunlap District Fair Association, of which he still is a director, and was one of the men to help in the incorporation of Dunlap. He is treasurer of the Dunlap Cemetery Association, as well as the Independent School District of Dunlap. In municipal matters he has been a member of the town council. Was a member of the school board six years, part of which time he acted as president.
Socially, our subject ranks high in his community. He is a member of the Hospitable Lodge, No. 244, of A. F. & A. M. and Ark Chapter No. 89, of Royal Arch Masons of which he is High Priest.
Having worn the loyal blue, as a soldier in the Union army he very naturally finds a place in the Grand Army of the Republic, and is a member of Shields Post, No. 83, and has just vacated the chair of the Western Iowa Veteran Association, which comprises six counties�Harrison, Crawford, Ida, Shelby, Monona, and Pottawattamie.
He is one of the public-spirited men of his county, always on the alert in matters which contribute to the up building of his community. Being one of the pioneer physicians of the eastern part of the county, he found it very laborious, and after having been here three years he took a trip to Pennsylvania, where upon May 18, 1871 he was married to Anna M. MOORE, daughter of A. P. and Rebecca (JUNKIN) MOORE, natives of Pennsylvania and of Scotch-Irish descent. Her mother passed from the scenes of earth, in 1885, at the age of sixty-three years. The father is still living, in Lawrence County, Pa., where he is an extensive dealer in real estate, as well as in Harrison and Monona Counties, Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. Patterson, have one daughter, Bessie B., now attending WILSON'S College at Chambersburg, Pa. They are associated with the Congregational Church, but were raised in the Presbyterian faith.
Politically, Mr. Patterson is an active Republican, and has been frequently urged to accept the nomination for various offices in his county and state. But he preferred to remain at home, and attend to his own private affairs.
While success more frequently comes from early choosing a calling in life, and then pursuing that vocation through life, it is nevertheless true, that men of business sagacity judiciously invest their earnings in such a manner that they feel justified in abandoning their early profession, living a more retired and independent life which is the case of the man of whom we write.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 505-506
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
GOODRICH - L. N. GOODRICH, of Missouri Valley, together with the genealogy of the GOODRICH family, will form the subject matter of this notice. It is not the desire of the author to consume the pages of the history of Harrison County in recounting the births and deaths of the GOODRICH family for the past five hundred years or more, who have their genealogy corroborated by English history from the earliest day. The following is an abridged sketch of the traditional and historical account of the GOODRICH family. Many volumes could be truthfully written, which would be but an abbreviated account of the family:
The earliest account we have of this family was about the time of the Christian era. At this particular time the Romans had possession of Britain, and for many years prior to this date the merchants in the North of CAESAR'S Government, had enjoyed something of a trade with the people of this newly acquired territory. And it came too pass that a certain one of these merchants of SAXON origin, wishing to further his interests in this traffic obtained a grant of land and erected thereon a very strong fort or castle, for the protection and safety of his goods and property. The people of the island were very crude in their ideas, their habits and habitations, as well; and we are sorry to say, the seas surrounding it were infested with pirates of the most debased and wicked type. For safety the people lived in villages, their tenements being chiefly constructed of wood and roofed with thatch. At any time these communities were liable to be overpowered by an armed force of bandits or pirates. The fathers and mothers were usually murdered; all their cattle and hogs (of which they had many) driven away, the young people and children were kidnapped, taken in boats to Rome and sold for slaves. When this Saxon merchant, or trader, saw how wicked these people were, who committed so many depredations in the country, he built his castle very much larger and it was used as a fort for many hundreds of people who dwelt there.
Now it is easy to see that this old SAXON sire of the GOODRICH family monopolized the trade from a great many miles of territory; and it is believed that he was the first trader that had ever come from Roman dominion, the Government of Science, Literature, and the Arts, and located on the Isle of Britain, which was many years afterward called England. His business was to export the commodities or products of the island to the cities of Northern Europe and trade for their manufactured wares, and fabrics, which he again traded to the people. The children for several hundreds of years kept up the business of their fathers, but times changed, the country changed, the people changed. The assassination and murder for plunder was abated, to some extent, but the confiscation of property and fines by the various Kings, who came into the country, seemed to take its place. Stock raising, vineyards and tilling the lands became the industries of the people. During this time thousands of wars, devastation and vicissitudes of every kind and character had swept the country. Kingdoms had come and gone; Kings had lived and died, but GOODRICH Castle was never subdued or taken, until after eight hundred years. It had been the object of many scores of sieges; times without number had the people of the surrounding neighborhoods and villages with their stock of valuables of every sort been safely housed behind its forbidding walls of rock. For all projectiles of every kind and make had been hurled against it, by the contending foes without, and made as little impression as the rain-drops. Inside were wells of water, bakeries, blacksmith shops, carpenter, stones for grinding grain, and butchers, while within its breadth and height were acres of storage-room, for food for man and beast. During the time of a siege everything was life and animation inside. Throngs of soldiers with shield in hand, manned the parapets and towers, hurling down spears and shooting arrows at the enemy, while others were engaged in hoisting huge rocks, for the soldiers to plunge down on the heads of those who attempted to scale the walls. If the assailing party was the emissary of a King, a compromise was usually made. But the end finally came, GOODRICH Castle was taken by the most perfect stratagem of an offended Danish King, and restored to them by Harold, the last of the SAXON Kings, who fell fighting for the altars and fires of Britain. Who shall say where the uncrowned sons of GODWIN sleep, or determine the amount of blood and treasure contributed by the house or Castle of GOODRICH---they too, were SAXON, loyal to Harold and his cause. William would blot from the memory of the land the names of its bravest defenders, placing in their stead those who furthered his designs. The property was again confiscated, the lands being distributed among the nobles and soldiers of William the Conqueror.
GOODRICH Castle is in an excellent state of preservation at the present time. It is situated in the extreme south of Herfordshire on the river which empties its torrents of crystal water into Bristol Channel. The historian INGULPH says: "In the year 870 the venerable father GOODRICH (GODRICK, SAXON, GOODRICH, ENGLISH) though very reluctant and making great opposition thereto was elected Abbot of Croyland. The Abbot for the next four years was harassed by fines and confiscations by the King of Mercia, until that Kingdom ended and in the year A.D. 940, weighed down with extreme old age, GOODRICH, Abbot of Croyland, died." This without doubt was one of the last holders of the estate. Since the time of confiscation the GOODRICHS have lived in all parts of England, and engaged in all kinds of honorable pursuits, usually holding small tracts of land. From the time of Henry the Eighth, the genealogy comes unbroken. In the early part of the reign of said King, Thomas GOODRICH was appointed by him one of the translators of the Bible, the book of John being his part. This same Thomas GOODRICH, with others, compiled the Prayer-Book, now used by the Episcopal Church. John and William GOODRICH immigrated to American in the forepart of the sixteenth century, form which nearly all bearing the name are descendants, as the history of America shows. Among the relatives of this family, is the late. S. C. GOODRICH, of New York, the great American writer and historian; Chancy A. GOODRICH, reviser of WEBSTER'S dictionary, also Chancy GOODRICH, Congressman, and later on Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts; Judge Grant GOODRICH, of Chicago, and his brother, who was the late owner of the lake steamers, which has carried the farm products and commerce of the Western country to the Eastern seaboard for the last thirty years. And so on, until we find this family at Missouri Valley. Jesse GOODRICH, the grandfather, was born in 1757, was a Revolutionary soldier; voted for George Washington the first time, his last vote being cast for Zachariah TAYLOR.
It will be observed that the best antiquarians that could be employed at various dates, all agree that the plan of architecture on the oldest part of GOODRICH Castle was used only by the SAXONS about the time of the beginning of the Christian era. Now we pass down to A.D. 940. A hundred years later, and under the reign of Edward, we find Earl GOODWIN, grandson of the venerable Priest of Croyland, in possession of the estate. The Earl had command of an army of soldiers of his own. He had confronted the King in battle array, and compelled him to perform certain acts, but Earl GODWIN and King Edward were the best of friends, when their united force met William at the battle of Hastings, in 1066, when all was lost. As time passed on, the GOODRICHS still clung to their tradition hoping the SAXONS would yet be able to throw off the NORMAN yoke, and they reinstated to their rightful possessions, of which William had robbed him. This hope was finally given up, but the GOODRICHS believing that they had the oldest lineage of any family in the world, kept their tradition. In the latter part of the fourteenth century we find one of the sires, Thomas GOODRICH, assisting in the revision of the Bible, when the wicked King Henry rebelled from the church at Rome. One hundred and fifty years later, William and John GOODRICH, grandsons of Thomas, embarked for America and settled in Connecticut. We would go on and relate where, and when each one of the fathers was born and died up to the present date, but this would be of no interest to the reader who is hunting after the early history of Harrison County, Iowa. With this genealogy, we turn again to GOODWIN B. GOODRICH, born March 1, 1784; married first time Ruth BANE, at Clarksville, Pa. When the young couple had settled themselves for the beginning of in married life, and everything appeared as happy as could be, GOODWIN was drafted by the Government. His brother John volunteered to make him company. Goodwin bade his young wife good-bye, and the two brothers, with five others set off on foot, through the woods and snows of winter, for some camp near Niagara Falls. The hardships which they were called upon to endure, and the conflicts of shot and shell that they engaged in, could not be related in a reminiscence of this kind, but one of the thrilling engagements that the boys took part in, is known to all�the battle of PERRY'S Victory, on Lake Erie. A great many times have the children heard their fathers relate this bloody and awful event on the sea. There were a number of vessels on each side. The British seemed to think that by sinking the vessel where the commander was, would help their cause, so when that discovery was made, the shot and shell from more than two score of cannon was poured into the ship, until it sunk; but they were mistaken about drowning the brave commander, as the lifeboat saved most of the crew, though PERRY came near being lost; a cannon ball went through the bow of the skiff. All would have been lost in a moment, but the General snatched his coat from his shoulders which bore the gold epaulets and emblems of his rank, and with his knee crowed it into the ugly hole, where the water was spouting forth, with the cheering command, "one more pull and we will be safe!"
Goodwin had one son, Asher, and two daughters by his first marriage, Sarah and Elizabeth. It was some time in the '40s that Asher went to Tipton, Ind., and with his own hands he chopped the trees from a spot of ground large enough for a dwelling lot. Ten rods distant, where a street was indicated by the blaze on the trees he cut his timber, burned logs and brush, and here he erected a store-house, and was the pioneer merchant in Tipton. Later on he built a woolen factory in another part of the city; these buildings are to be seen at this time. He died in 1855, and has one living daughter. Her name is Belle PIKE. In 1876 the PIKES were removed to Peking in China, he being made supervisor over a portion of the Methodist Episcopal Missionary schools of that city, and up to date they have not had an hour's vacation.
In 1827 GOODWINN'S first wife died; in 1831 he married Kezia LLOYD. The family of LLOYD'S were from Hereford in England, near Ross, hence were acquainted with GOODRICH Castle, and the territory that had once belonged to the GOODRICH ESTATE. Kezia LLOYD had been very carefully educated. She brought up nine children without a physician and was a woman of more than ordinary ability, and was religious; her childhood home was Hagerstown, Md., her father being a merchant. Shortly after their marriage, Goodwin with his young wife located on a farm near Mt. Vernon, Ohio. The politics of the GOODRICHES from the Revolutionary war down, was the kind that supported WASHINGTON, JACKSON and POLK. In 1861 William LLOYD and Lewis GOODRICH and their brother-in-law, Jacob BYERS, responded to Lincoln's call for five hundred thousand men to prevent the dissolution of States. Now the veteran grandfather of these boys, at the age of eighteen, in the Revolution, had marched hundreds of miles through woods and over mountains, elbows out, feet tied in rags; most of the time no shoes or hat; occasionally days at a time passed without food. The only cause he knew was liberty, the only friend that Jesse knew was his dear old mother in Connecticut, who as often as opportunity presented, sent him a pair of shoes and socks, with other garments, always adding a bundle of bullets which she had moulded to help on the struggle for freedom later on. Their fathers, too, had spent many weeks and months in defending the rights of the new Republic against Britain and her pirates on the high seas. With this knowledge of the past, and the late disaster of Bull Run, the boys started, believing that one Republic, one Government, would be better in North America, than two. Lloyd, Lewis and Jacob were enrolled in Company F. Sixty-fifth Ohio Infantry, (SHERMAN' S Brigade) at Mansfield, Ohio. At the same time William volunteered in the Fourth California Infantry, and was afterward killed by the Indians in Arizona Territory.
Lloyd GOODRICH was twenty-one years old, light complexion, blue eyes, about six feet high, and rather heavy set. There was not a soldier in the regiment who could, or did endure more hardships, of war or battle than he. Lewis was seventeen years old, smaller than Lloyd and appeared altogether too young and too much of a lad to undertake the brunt and burden of army life. But he did stand it with Lloyd's help, without a falter or a furlough, until the battle of Stone River, in 1863. After the battle of Shiloh in 1862, Jacob BYERS was made Regimental Bugler, his place being at headquarters always on duty night or day, and he knows full well, to this day, how to sound the commands "Advanced" "Charge" or "Retreat." The times were not few during the five years of his service, when in the awful din from the fire of death, Jacob watching his opportunity, sounded the call, which led the gallant command to many a victory. January 2, 1863, at the battle of Stone River, Company F was supporting a battery, while the position of one of the cannon was being shifted; four of the horses took fright from the bursting shell that was poured into the gunners. Just at that time the terrified beasts went plunging down the hill, through the flank. Lloyd sprang aside to let them pass. A shell dropped at that instant, killing Lloyd GOODRICH, with two of the horses, life lasting but a few minutes. Lloyd said, "It will kill mother, when she knows that I am dead, but we have gained the day." They buried him. With fifteen hundred more who perished on that day.
At the time of the battle of Shiloh, Lewis was wounded a little above the knee, which destroyed his locomotion for a number of days, and for a short following this, he with others, was sent north to inspect railroad bridges. Some days after the battle of Perryville, he had the diphtheria, from which a distressing cough lingered, and in the early part of 1863, completely broken down by the hardships of army life, young GOODRICH was discharged and taken home by his brother George, who by the kindness of Gov. BROUGH (BRUFF) was permitted to go after him. In the spring of 1863 the health of Lewis was far from a satisfactory condition. Dr. HAYES, of Mt. Vernon, recommended a change of climate; hence it was decided to send the invalid to Magnolia, Iowa, to his two sisters. In pursuance the lad was directed by his mother and brother George to go to a relative in Cleveland, and was owner of a steamship line and get transportation for the West. The elegantly equipped ship anchored at Cleveland, looked inviting, but the dangers from ice and winds caused him to take a different route. It was a warm Sunday morning in the last of March, 1863. Everything was quiet at John DALLY'S house, no one expected visitors; Aunt Lucy and the children were at church, when the stage-coach halted at the door. A thin, pale young man alighted; there were two bullet-holes in his clothes, and two wounds that were not entirely healed. Mrs. DALLY had noticed the hackman's halt, and with tears of joy ran to welcome her unexpected brother. At this time Mr. and Mrs. DALLY had lived in the State about twelve years, most of the time near Ft. Dodge. Lucy GOODRICH (now Mrs. WRIGHT, of Dunlap) had been in the State but two years, and was one of the pioneer school teachers. Upon his arrival, Lewis was compelled to go to bed; Dr. J. H. RICE was called with his excellent prescriptions and by a sister's care, the middle of April found him nearly every day at the store of DALLY & PERLY, busy making new acquaintances. At this time Magnolia probably contained the population of four hundred people; had a good school; one church (Congregational) and other church organizations. One Free Mason Lodge and another order called Union League. Among the young people, who resided in this little city could be found George McDUFFY, Newton and Henry LORENZ, William EATON, James HARDY, John BLY and others. Among the young ladies were Betty and Amelia HARD, Lucy GOODRICH, Helen LORENZ, May DOWNS, Mollie HARVEY, Cynthia SCOFIELD. John WILLIAMS kept the livery stable, the den where he kept his vicious broncos, and other apparently wild beasts were under a straw pile. There were no signs of vehicles in the vicinity of this stack, except a hay-rack, one sled with something like the tope story of a band-wagon for a box and an ugly lop-eared hound which kept all customers at a distance until John came to the front and called off the dogs. At this particular period of frontier life John's customers had to go either on foot or horseback, on account of the high price asked for other modes of conveyance. Magnolia was the county seat, and the court room was used for a city hall. William FALLON owned the stately tavern stand on the hill, but William RAYMOND was the landlord. Here the stage-coach halted twice a day, with her crew of land-hunters and mail-bags. Prior to Raymonds hotel life he had been a freighter on the plains between Omaha and Denver, and a man by the name of McKINNEY kept the place. Mac was said to be some what profane in his common conversation. Al BENJAMIN and numerous others catered here to the wants of the lawyers and travelers during the '60s. Deer were quite plentiful in the country and several times fawns were offered for sale in the town by PURCELL brothers. The first piano, fireproof safe, fine carriage and sleigh were brought into Harrison County, by Mr. OLMSTED of Harrison Township. He was very wealthy and was killed by accident in 1862. Judge HARDY owned the flourmill on the Willow, and Judge CHATBURN the saw-mill; there were great quantities of flour made at the grist-mill. In the winter of 1865, times were lively on account of high prices occasioned by the war. Two years prior, however, corn sold at ten cents per bushel and was used for fuel. During the last of 1863 and early in 1864, young GOODRICH'S health seemed to be gaining, but when warm weather came, he seemed to break down entirely, and his life was despaired of, "what a horrible cough," was the talk by all. Dr. RICE was again called; his sisters, Lucy and Ruth, never ceased their effort and care to restore their brother to health; they succeeded to a great degree. In the following autumn he took his place in the store in which he had worked previous to his relapse. When RUDASILL & WOOD succeeded DALLY he engaged with the new firm, remaining with them until 1871. We next find Lewis GOODRICH at Missouri Valley, to which place he went to live with his mother, and three brothers who had located there a short time prior. Within a year or two after this, the brothers, George and Frank, were married; July 1881 his mother died and in January the same year, he was married to Georgie ETTINGER, who resided with her parents at Boone, Iowa. She has one sister married (Eugenia) who is a great student, her mother being much given to books and literature, while her father is a contractor. In May, 1881, Lewis GOODRICH began business at Missouri Valley for himself and is still thus engaged, but does not enjoy good health. Mr. and Mrs. GOODRICH are the parents of two sons, John and Grover, aged respectively, ten and seven years.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 506-507-507-508-509-510-511-512
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index