Home Page

Harrison County Iowa Genealogy

Biographies - 1891 History of Harrison County Iowa

Page Seventy

Jennings | Alton | Johnson | James | Vanderhoof | Erichson | D Gamet | J Gamet


JENNINGS - Frederick A. JENNINGS, who has been a resident of Harrison County, Iowa, since 1881, is a native of LaSalle County, Ill., born July 31, 1839. He is a son of Levi and Emily (ALIS) JENNINGS, natives of Hartford, Conn., and Pittsburg, Pa., respectively. The father was born in 1801, and died April 23, 1852. He was the son of Levi and Hannah (CHAPMAN) JENNINGS, natives of Connecticut and New York, and were of English origin. The mother of our subject was born in Pittsburg, Pa., in 1808 and died in 1878. The parents of our subject had twelve children, eight of who still survive--Matthew L., a resident of Harrison Township, this county; Mary E., wife of Richard GAGE, of LaSalle County, Ill.; Lucy A., who lives with her brother Henry; Henry, a resident of Harrison Township; Frederick A., for whom this sketch is written; Emily J., wife of George L. BEACH, of Brown County, S. Dak., (a Congregational minister); Katherine L., wife of R. S. SMAWLEY, a resident of LaSalle County, Ill.; Julia A., wife of John J. FORD, of LaSalle County, Ill. Four others are deceased. Levi, the father of our subject, when a young man learned the ship=carpenter's trade, but later in life operated a mill for several years. Politically, he was an old line Whig. He and his wife were devoted members of the Presbyterian Church. Frederick A. was reared mid the scenes of farm-life and worked out by the month and from the money thus earned he attended school and thus received a fair education. He commenced working by the month when sixteen years of age, and when he had secured a sufficient amount he was admitted, with three other young men, to the Umloft Female Seminary, at Ottawa, Ill., where he spent two years, working his way through school. The following year he clerked in a store, and then returned to agricultural pursuits, which he followed until October 12, 1861, at which time he enlisted in Company A, Fifty-third Illinois Infantry. He was discharged November 12, 1864, at Rock Island, at which place he had been stationed one year. He came out as Post Quartermaster Sergeant. He participated in the following engagements: Hatchie River, battle of Shiloh, Siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Miss., aside from small skirmishes. At Jackson, Miss., July 12, 1863, he was wounded in the hand and about the head, the former by canister shot, causing the loss of two fingers, while the latter was a skin wound grazing his temple. After he was able for duty he was stationed at Rock Island, where he remained until he was discharged, when he returned to his former home in LaSalle County, where he engaged in farming and stock-raising, until March, 1881, when he came to Dunlap, and located four miles south of that place, on section 35, where he owns one hundred and twenty acres of land, which he improved from the wild prairie state, and lived upon until January 31, 1890, and then moved into the town of Dunlap. Politically, he is a radical Republican, and has held numerous local offices. The year following his advent to the county, he was elected a Justice of the Peace for Harrison Township, and has held the office continually ever since. Upon coming to Dunlap, he was appointed Mayor, to fill an unexpired term, and was re-elected in 1891. He belongs to the Shields Post No. 83, G. A. R., and was Commander of the same in 1889, and is at present quartermaster. He is a member of the Golden Rule Lodge, No. 178, I. O. O. F., and is Worthy Advisor in Acorn Camp, No. 325 M. W. A. Concerning his domestic life, he was married February 2, 1869, at Brookfield, LaSalle County, Ill., to Lucy A. BISHOP, who was born November 8, 1848, and is the daughter of Joseph and Martha (MEDELL) BISHOP, natives of England. Mr. and Mrs. JENNINGS are the parents of four children, Burton C., Born December 18, 1870, a resident of Springville, Utah Territory; Melvin, born May 18, 1873; Vinal A., born February 2, 1877, died March 23, 1887; Flora E., born November 17, 1884. Mrs. JENNINGS is an exemplary member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject has had an eventful life; has seen many hardships, both in days of peace and times of war, and his family who come after him may well point with pride to the sacrifices he made to put down an unjust Rebellion.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 606, 607, 608
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

ALTON - James O. ALTON came to Harrison County in the autumn of 1874, and now resides on section 29, of Jackson Township. For the first six years, he rented land, at the end of which time he purchased his present place, which then consisted of eighty-four acres of wild land, upon which he erected a house, 14x20 feet, with a wing 10x20 feet. He also built the necessary outbuildings, and set out an orchard of twenty-five trees, as well as making the place beautiful, by shade and ornamental trees. To acquaint the reader with the earlier career of this man's life, it may be stated in this connection that he is a son of David F. and Susanah ALTON, natives of New York State, who had ten children, of whom our subject was the youngest. He was born in Hancock County, Ill., in 1854. In his father's family were the following children--Salome, Harriet, William, Cordelia, David, Benton, Mary A., two deceased and James O. Our subject remained at home until sixteen years of age, at which time his father died, after which he commenced working out by the month, on a farm, following the same until he came to Harrison County. Among the important events to be noted in this man's career, is that of his marriage union, in July, 1877, to Nettie ROSS, the daughter of William and Salena ROSS, who were natives of England, and had a family of nine children. (See sketch of William ROSS.) Our subject and his wife have been blessed with the birth of six children--James A., William V., Byron E., Burt O., one deceased and Stanley. Mr. ALTON is a member of the Odd Fellows order, belonging to Lodge No. 389, at Little Sioux, Iowa. In March, 1885, our subject met with a narrow escape, resulting in a serious accident. In company with William SHAW, he was sawing a tree down. A wedge had been placed on the opposite side of the tree from which it was expected to fall. A little chopping was done when the tree fell the contrary way, throwing Mr. ALTON forward with his hand on the stump. The butt of the tree fell and mashed three of his fingers off. Had it not been for the protection of the stump the results might have proven fatal.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 608
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

JOHNSON - Mrs. Ann JOHNSON, wife of the late John JOHNSON, will form the subject of this biographical notice. Her home is on section 28, of Jackson Township. She came to Harrison County September 12, 1858, in company with her husband. They located on the place she now occupies. They bought forty acres for which they paid $6.25 per acre. Mr. JOHNSON made substantial improvements upon this place. His farmhouse which was a 16x24 feet structure, was the first frame house built in Jackson Township; the lumber being sawed by horsepower. In this rudely-constructed house the family lived for twenty-four years. After the death of Mr. JOHNSON the widow built a new house. They had added to the land, until at the time of his death he possessed one hundred and ninety-six acres, seventy of which are under the plow, and the balance in pasture, meadow and timber land. The place has been provided with good outbuildings, orchard and shade trees. The family saw many hardships at an early day, including the grasshopper raids, when the little winged pests devastated much of the farm products. Mr. and Mrs. JOHNSON were born in England. The husband was a son of Hugh and Martha JOHNSON, who had twelve children--Sarah, Mary A., Jane, Martha, Hannah, John, Joel, Thomas, James, Henry and Isaac, and one who died in infancy. They are all deceased but three. Mr. and Mrs. JOHNSON were united in marriage December 19, 1834. Mrs. JOHNSON's maiden name was Ann HOPE, the daughter of William and Nancy A. HOPE, natives of England, who also reared a family of twelve children--Elizabeth, James, Mary, Thomas, Charlotte, Hannah, William, Ann, Francis, Jane, and two who died in infancy. Of Mr. JOHNSON it may be said that he remained with his parents until he was twenty-four years of age, at which time he was married and started in life for himself. He worked out for others before he came to this country. He landed in Boston, Mass., and went from there to Fall River, where he worked in a cotton factory for six months, and the next two years were spent as a teamster in New Jersey. We next find Mr. JOHNSON in Council Bluffs, Iowa, near where he rented land for two years, and then spent six months near Preparation, Monona County, and then came to this county. Mr. and Mrs. JOHNSON were the parents of six children--Salena, born April 4, 1836, Emily, deceased, born November 21, 1838; Henry, January 4, 1842; Emily, deceased, born December 4, 1845; Maroni, August 25, 1850; and Florence M., December 21, 1854. Mr. JOHNSON was a member of the Foresters in England. They were both members of the Latter Day Saints Church, to which she still belongs.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 608, 609
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

JAMES - Eugene F. JAMES, came to Missouri Valley, December 29, 1867, soon after the town was platted, and is now engaged in the agricultural implement business. He was born in Alleghany County, Pa., January 29, 1842. He is a son of Isaac and Margaret (CRISS) JAMES. The JAMES family are of Scotch descent. Our subject's grandfather, JAMES, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Our subject's father followed farming throughout his life. The CRISS family were originally from Germany. The family moved to Lafayette County, Wis., in 1847, and from there to Jo Daviess County, Ill., where the parents laid down the burden of life; the mother passed away in 1874, and the father in May, 1879. They reared a family of eleven children, the man of whom we write this sketch being the oldest. His early education was obtained in the Badger State, in the common schools. He assisted his father on the farm until 1864. He enlisted in the first company formed in Lafayette County, Wis., among the three-months' men who went out in 1861, he being a member of Company A, Third Wisconsin Infantry. Politically, Mr. JAMES votes with the Democratic party. He is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to Valley Lodge No. 232, A. F. & A. M. His wife is a member of the Christian Church, and an exemplary woman. He was united in marriage October 9, 1873, his wife's maiden name being Anna EARLY, the daughter of Leonard EARLY. Her mother died when she was very young, and her father now lives in Audubon County, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. JAMES are the parents of two children--Laura B., born April 24, 1875 and one who died in infancy. Our subject was employed for two years by the Sioux City & Pacific Railroad, and followed draying and transfer business for eleven years. In 1880, he established himself in the grain and farm machine implement business, which he still conducts.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 609, 610
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

VANDERHOOF - David B. VANDERHOOF, (deceased), came to Harrison County in the autumn of 1864, and settled on the farm his widow now lives upon, the same being a part of section 2, LaGrange Township. The farm is known as "Hickory Heights." When Mr. VANDERHOOF came to this place first, there was a small log cabin in which they lived the first winter, and then they built an addition. The early domicile was white-washed throughout, which gave it a nice appearance. This work was accomplished by Mrs. VANDERHOOF and her daughter. This building served as a residence until the autumn of 1866, when they added another large log room, and in the spring of 1869, built their present house. Upon coming to the county our subject was a poor man, having to go in debt for his land, and experienced his share of pioneer hardships, and was compelled to go to Council Bluffs, that being the nearest trading point. He was born in Marion County, Ohio, February 4, 1822, and when six years of age his parents moved to Cass County, Mich., and he remained with his parents until twenty-two years of age, or in the fall of 1852, when he came to Harrison County. He remained one year, purchased land of his brother Thomas, in the Grove, which the latter had taken previous to this of the Mormons, but got discouraged and went back to Michigan, after one year, and there purchased a farm in Cass County, and remained until 1864, when he sold out and came to Harrison County. While living in Michigan, the last time, he cleared out a one hundred and sixty acre farm from the woods, which greatly impaired his health. He sold his place and moved into the village of Whitmanville, and lived three years. Mr. VANDERHOOF was married in Whitmanville, Cass County, Mich., October 6, 1844, to Miss Dorcas HOWARD, by whom nine children were born--William T., September 13, 1845; Lucian P., October 2, 1847; Hester E., December 16, 1849; Albert F., April 4, 1852; Rhoda S., April 7, 1854; Arminda, February 22, 1857; Adelbert, April 9, 1859; Clara M., March 29, 1861; Orrin J., January 3, 1864. William T. died September 13, 1848; Adelbert died Jun 20, 1859. Rhoda, wife of Mr. BARNETT, died March 12, 1873, leaving one child who is living with his grandmother, Mrs. VANDERHOOF. Dorcas (HOWARD) VANDERHOOF, was born in Canada, at Lundy's Lane, two miles from Niagara Falls, November 11, 1826, and when six years of age her parents moved to Lockport, New York, and five years latter moved to Whitmanville, Cass County, Mich., where she remained until the date of her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. VANDERHOOF were both members of the Presbyterian Church. Concerning the children of our subject and his wife who have gone out into the life for themselves, it may be said that Lucian, their oldest son, is married and living in Berrien County, Mich.; Orrin is married and in Chicago. Albert was born in Cass County, Mich., and has usually made his home with his parents. He went to Decatur County, Kan., where he took a claim, remained two years, and then came to Harrison County. At the time of his father's death, he was engaged in the livery business at Logan, but sold out and took charge of the farm, where he still remains. William B. HOWARD, the father of Mrs. VANDERHOOF, was born in Syracuse, New York, July 1, 1800, and remained there until he grew to manhood, and then went into Canada and lived until 1832, then back to Lockport, New York, and from there to Michigan. During the gold excitement in 1849, he went to California. His first wife had died and he had married his second wife, and he sent for her after he had been West awhile. She started and got within forty miles of him, but suddenly died. He returned to Michigan in 1883, and his friends had not heard from him in twelve years. After making a brief visit in Michigan, he went to Lundy's Lane, Canada, to visit his daughter, and there died September 6, 1885. The mother of Mrs. VANDERHOOF, Armedia LONDY, was born at Lundy's Lane, Canada, July 19, 1806, and after her marriage went to New York and died at Whitmanville, Michigan. They were the parents of ten children, Mrs. VANDERHOOF being the oldest. George D. BARNETT, who was born in Harrison County, March 3, 1873, and whose mother died March 12, 1873, is living with his grandmother, Mrs. VANDERHOOF.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 610, 611
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

ERICHSON - Charles C. ERICHSON, a farmer living on section 15, of Jackson Township, came to Harrison County in the spring of 1884, and first located in Taylor Township, and rented land there for six years and then bought the farm he now occupies, which consists of eighty and one-half acres of improved land, for which he paid $20 per acre. He has made other substantial improvements to the place and has remained there ever since.

Our subject was born April 7, 1861, in Germany. He is the son of Charles and Mary ERICHSON, natives of Germany, our subject being their only child. The family moved to America when our subject was only nine years old, and from New York harbor, came direct to Jackson County, Iowa, where the father and mother both died, and where Charles remained until he came to Harrison County. By industry and good management he had saved up $900, which he had upon coming to this county.

Among the important events of this man's life, was his marriage March 29, 1884, to Mary PETERS, the daughter of John and Minnie PETERS, natives of the German Empire, who were the parents of six children, of whom our subject's wife was the oldest. The children's names were in the following order: Mary, Herman, Charles, Louis and Minnie, deceased; and Lena.

Our subject and his wife are the parents of four children, born in the following order: Mary, November 18, 1884; Fred, June 14, 1886; John, February 28, 1888; Charles, April 2, 1890; and Minnie, November 5, 1891. The first born of these children is deceased. Our subject and his wife are both members of the Lutheran Church.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 611
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

GAMET - David GAMET. In looking over the names of the pioneer boys of Harrison County, one finds but few of those of 1853 settlers, but such is the man of whom we write. He is a native of New York State, and was born in Oswego County. He is a son of David M. and Hannah P. (HYDE) GAMET, of the Empire State, who had a family of six children--Solomon, David, Isaac, Gilbert, Levi and Sarah Ann. Five of these children are now living. When our subject was quite young the family removed to Hancock County, Ill., where they remained until 1846, and then came to Western Iowa, locating near Council Bluffs; then moved to Glenwood, and from there came to this county in 1853, as above related, and located near Magnolia on a farm. D. M. GAMET, father of David, was the second Treasurer and Recorder of Harrison County, elected in 1854; was also a Justice of the Peace. In 1857 he removed to Little Sioux, where he engaged in the mercantile business, which he followed until the time of his death in 1883.

Our subject commenced farming for himself in 1857, on section 35, of Morgan Township. He now owns eight hundred and five acres within the county, all enclosed by a good fence, and the greater portion of it under cultivation. Upon the death of his father in 1883, Mr. GAMET entered the mercantile business at Little Sioux, and three years later erected the business block he now occupies. The firm was known as GAMET & Co. at first, but in 1889 was changed, and is now GAMET & OGDEN. They also deal in livestock and grain.

Our subject was married in October, 1854, to Nancy HUTCHINSON, the daughter of James and Martha HUTCHINSON, of Ohio. By this union ten children have been born--Christie A., now Mrs. William STUART; Hannah P., now Mrs. C. H. DERRY; Sarah E., now Mrs. J. L. GUNSOLLEY; Alice I., now Mrs. J. E. GUNSOLLEY; Hattie E., now Mrs. J. P. GARNER; James R.; Ira D.; Parley L.; Miriam E., now Mrs. W. P. COFFMAN; and George L.

Our subject and his wife are members of the Latter Day Saints Church, and in our subject's political choice he is a Democrat.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 612
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

GAMET - James F. GAMET, son of David GAMET, one of the pioneer settlers of Harrison County, who effected a settlement in 1853, and whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work, will form the subject of this biographical notice. He was born in Morgan Township, Harrison County, Iowa, September 17, 1866, and spent his life in this locality. He received his education in the common school of his county, and attended the Western College at Shenandoah, Iowa, for several months, after which he engaged in farming. He now owns eighty acres of land, all fenced and under a high state of cultivation. In his parents family there were ten children, all of whom are living, born and named in the following order: Christie A., now Mrs. William STUART; Hannah P., Mrs. C. H. DERRY; Sarah E., Mrs. J. L. GUNSOLLEY; Alice I., Mrs. J. E. GUNSOLLEY; Hattie E., Mrs. J. P. GARNER; James F.; Ira D.; Parley L.; Miriam E., Mrs. W. P. COFFMAN; and George L.

Our subject was united in marriage in October, 1888, to Minnie BEAMAN, the daughter of J. W. and Elizabeth (WONDER) BEAMAN, natives of Indiana and Ohio respectively.

Mr. GAMET and his wife are the parents of one child--Everett, born November 4, 1889. They are members of the Christian Church, and in his political choice he favors the Democratic party.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 612, 613
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index



Return to Harrison County Home Page