|Harrison County Iowa Genealogy|
Page Sixty Six
Preston | Mickel | Boner | Milliman | Ford | French | Chase |
PRESTON - Herbert L. PRESTON, son of W. T. and A. E. PRESTON, whose sketches appear elsewhere in this volume, was born in Holyoke, Mass., October 23, 1867, and came to Harrison County in 1868 with his parents, where he has since made his home, aside from the time he was attending the Agricultural College at Ames, which covered a period of three years, with six months at ELLIOTT's Business College at Burlington, from which institution he was graduated in 1887.
He was reared to farm-life, and in 1887, after he had been graduated, he entered the Exchange Bank of Dunlap, with which concern he was associated until its suspension in 1889, when he at once opened a lumber-yard, or rather, purchased one belonging to A. I. MCMARTIN, which business had been established in 1868 by Daniel R. SMITH, but was subsequently owned by William D. DAVIS and E. G. PERKINS, then by William D. DAVIS alone, then passing into the hands of the OLMSTEAD Brothers, who were succeeded by Ben. JACKSON and A. I. MCMARTIN. Ben. JACKSON succeeded this firm, and he in turn gave way to PIERCE & WELLS, who were succeeded by A. I. MCMARTIN, and he by our subject. It is also stated that L. T. COLDREN was the first owner. The stock consisted of about $3,500 worth of building material, coal, etc., the annual sales of which amount to $12,000. Mr. PRESTON also manufactures lath and wire fence. The buildings consist of a general warehouse, finishing-sheds, coal-sheds, good cabling for patrons of the yard, and a neat office.
In 1889 Mr. PRESTON purchased the old Northwestern Hotel property, which adjoined his lumber-yard. Wishing to occupy the ground upon which it was built he tore the old structure away and built other buildings upon the lot.
Perhaps the most important event of his life occurred March 10, 1887, for it was upon that day that he was united in marriage to Miss Lou J. JACKSON, a native of Clinton County, Iowa, who is the daughter of I. A. and Mary JACKSON, who are early settlers. She was born May 21, 1869. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. PRESTON--Perry J., December 20, 1889. Mrs. PRESTON is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Dunlap.
Politically, our subject is a supporter of the Democratic party. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, being a member of Hospitable Lodge No. 244, A. F. & A. M., of which he is now the Junior Warden; he is also a member of Ark Chapter No. 89.
Although yet a young man, Mr. PRESTON has made for himself a clean, almost enviable record. He is an intelligent, well-educated, energetic young business man, who, if life and health are spared him, is almost certain to take high rank among his fellow-men. It may be added in this connection, that both he and his estimable wife taught school for several terms.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 565
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
MICKEL - Orin L. MICKEL, a farmer residing on section 16, of Allen Township, came to Harrison County in September 1878. He worked out by the month on a farm the first season, and taught school during the winter. He then rented land in Morgan Township one season, and again was employed as a teacher during the winter, after which he sold out his surplus grain and stock, and returned to New York State, remained there a year, and then came back to Iowa, and again engaged by the month at farm labor, and finally bought out a man's crop, teams and tools, and the following spring bought a farm near Mondamin consisting of one hundred and ninety acres of partly improved land. He farmed here for six years, and then bought the farm he now occupies, which consisted of eighty acres of wild land, upon which he erected a house 18x26 feet, with an addition twenty-two feet square. His farm is also provided with a barn 22x34 feet, as well as hog house, cribs, granary, etc. As the years have gone by he has added to his land until he now possesses three hundred and twenty acres, ninety of which are under the plow, while the balance is in pasture and meadow land, the whole being surrounded by a good fence.
Mr. MICKEL was born in Otsego County, N. Y., in August 1850. He is the son of Ira and Mianda MICKEL, natives of New York, who were the parents of five children--Emma J., Orin L., Samantha, Eliza (deceased), Anna.
Our subject lived with his parents until he was of age. He attended the common schools of the Empire State as well as one term at the High School. He was married January 1, 1879, to Nellie GAMET, the daughter of Isaac and Mary GAMET, natives of New York and Ohio respectively. They reared a family of seven children--Nellie, Joel M., Carrie, Marcellus (deceased), Winnaford, Alma, Charles. Six of these children are living in Dakota and Iowa.
Mr. and Mrs. MICKEL are the parents of two children--Ira M., born May 22, 1881; and Edith W., December 25, 1885.
Politically, our subject is identified with the Democratic party, and has held numerous local offices, including Assessor of Morgan Township for three years, and Township Clerk one term; and since moving to Allen Township, has assessed it three times and is now Trustee and Secretary of the School Board, filling all these positions with credit to himself and his neighbors.
He belongs to Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 392, at Mondamin. Our subject is one of the representative intelligent men of his township, and both he and his family rank high in the community in which they live.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 562
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
BONER - Silas S. BONER, living at Missouri Valley, came to Harrison County in the spring of 1877, and located at Missouri Valley, and ever since that date has taken an active part in the business interests of Harrison County. He was born on the 15th of February, 1820, in Northumberland County, Pa. The parents were Sebastian and Abigal (SIMINSON) BONER. The former was a native of New Jersey, and the Grandfather BONER was in the War of 1812, as was also his son, the father of our subject, he being stationed at Black Rock, N. Y., for some time. The family consisted of two sons and four daughters, our subject being the third child. Four of the children are still living. The brother is a resident of Michigan; one sister, the widow of Samuel SNYDER, living at Kansas City; and the other sister the widow of C. FOLMER of Pennsylvania. Both the father and mother are deceased. The father died at the age of ninety years, and both he and his companion were buried at a little hamlet six miles east of Sunbury, Pa., called SNYDER Town. Our subject attended the common school of the Keystone State for two winters, and had very limited opportunities for obtaining an education. The school which he attended only taught the three "R's"--reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic--so that the most information he obtained was by actual contact with the world. At the age of fourteen he began working on the Pennsylvania Canal, and soon after engaged in a store, where he continued about twenty-five years; and came to Iowa in 1851, locating at Mt. Rose, just above Keokuk, where he remained eight years engaged in mercantile business, and the next two years engaged with a man at Farmington, Van Buren County, where he remained ten years. He was a merchant at Farmington in 1872, and went to Keokuk where he bought out two hardware stores, and ran a wholesale and retail hardware store; for a short time prior to his coming to this county, was engaged in the lumber business. Our subject and his son-in-law, Fred SIMS, are running a farm of sixteen hundred and forty acres, seven hundred and forty acres of which they own. They are extensive dealers in stock, and feed several hundred head each winter.
Mr. BONER was united in marriage October 30, 1841, at Paxinos, Northumberland County, Pa., to Mary DICUS, a native of Schuylkill County, Pa. Her father died when she was a small child, and her mother died afterwards at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. BONER are the parents of four children--Christie, wife of Fred SIMS, of Missouri Valley; Alice, at home; Clara, wife of H. C. CAMP, of Omaha, Neb., who are the parents of one daughter--Mary, born in 1876; Frances, wife of P. E. ROBINSON, contracting agent for the Blue Line and Canada Southern, located at Omaha, Neb.
Politically, our subject is identified with the Republican party. He has ever sought to be a man of uprightness and integrity, and may well be termed a self-made man. During all of his extended busines life he has never been sued nor had the ordinary difficulties which fall to the business man. When we remember how few there are who live a wedded life long enough to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary, those who are so favored have reason to be doubly thankful.
The following appeared in the Missouri Valley Times, October 31, 1891, and is very appropriate in this connection:--"Fifty years ago yesterday a young man in Northumberland County, Pa., about three o'clock in the afternoon took his best girl and walked out into the country about two miles to the home of one of his friends who was a justice of the peace, and there the young couple were married, and started out upon the sea of life hand in hand to do battle with the world. The young man was S. S. BONER, and the young lady was Miss Mary DICUS, and after the ceremony was performed Mr. BONER gave the justice of the peace a two dollar bill for the marriage fee, all the money he had. For fifty years this worthy couple have enjoyed the pleasures and sorrows of this life together, and now on the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage they feel that they have lived a well-spent life, and are going down the hill of time together, with a competency of this world's goods, and surrounded y their children and grandchildren. The baby of the family, Mrs. P. E. ROBINSON, gave a supper to her parents, Mr. and Mrs. BONER, in honor of the golden anniversary of their marriage at which the parents and all their children sat down together, there never having been a death in the family in all those fifty years of married life. Mr. BONER is hale and hearty on his golden wedding day, and says, if he has his way about it he will live to celebrate half a dozen more golden weddings."
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 566, 567, 568
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
MILLIMAN - William M. MILLIMAN, of the firm STERN & MILLIMAN, real estate, loan and abstracting, was born in Saratoga County, N. Y., December 11, 1844, and is the son of Francis and Sally E. (HUNT) MILLIMAN, and is the sixth child in a family of seven children, five sons and two daughters. The father was a molder by trade and was also Deputy Sheriff and Constable of his home county for many years. He emigrated with his family, except our subject, to Harrison County in 1865.
William W. attended the district schools of the old Empire State, where he received a good business education. When nine years of age he left home, and lived with his, uncle Arden FRAKER, a farmer, with whom he remained until he enlisted as a member of Company D, Seventy-Seventh New York Volunteer Infantry, enlisting November 8, 1861, and served three years, one month and five days, receiving honorable discharge at Saratoga Springs, N. Y., December 13, 1864. During his service he participated in the battles of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Va., was in the seven days' fight in front of Richmond, the second battle of Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, was in front of Petersburg, and was transferred under Sheridan to the Shenandoah Valley, and was at Winchester September 19, 1864, where he received a wound in the left hip, which laid him up for about one month; he was also at the battle of Cedar Creek, one month after he had been wounded, which was the last engagement which he was in. This completes an army record of which the children who shall come after him will look back upon with admiration and pride, knowing as they will, by the reading of this sketch, that their sire took part in many of the greatest battles of the Rebellion.
After coming out of the service he returned to his home in New York, and for one year followed agricultural pursuits, working by the month until November, 1865, when he entered Eastman's Commercial College at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., and took a course, graduating in February, 1866, after which in a short time he went to Jackson, Mich., where he was engaged in a hardware store, remaining two years, and in March, 1868, we find him in Harrison County, Iowa. Having some means at the time, he bought stock, but finding that the climate did not agree with his rheumatic troubles, he returned to Michigan, resuming his old position in the hardware store. October 5, 1870, he was united in marriage to Mary A. RUSSELL, who is the youngest child of a family of seven children. Her father was born in Dutchess County, N. Y., and died in Michigan, December 3, 1879. The mother was born October 26, 1809, in Dutchess County, N. Y., and is still living.
After our subject was married he follow the occupation of book-keeping for twelve years in Jackson, Mich., in the employ of the WITHINGTON & COOLEY Manufacturing Company. He returned to Harrison County, July 25, 1884, and immediately entered upon his duty in the office in which he is now engaged.
While in Jackson, Mich., he represented the Fifth Ward as Alderman for four years, and since living in Harrison County has been Treasurer of the incorporation of Logan, five years, being the present incumbent, as well as President of the School Board, of which he has been a member for five years.
Our subject belongs to Fuller Post, No. 38, G. A. R., of which he is now Adjutant. He is a member of No. 50, A. F. & A. M. and Chapter No. 3, and Comandery No. 9 of the Masonic order at Jackson, Mich.
Mr. and Mrs. MILLIMAN are the parents of six children, three sons and three daughters, all living--Ina E., born February 7, 1872; Ella L., January 9, 1874; Walter R., March 6, 1876; Mabel H., October 14, 1878; William W., Jr., July 18, 1882; and James C., Jr., April 11, 1885.
Politically, Mr. MILLIMAN is an outspoken Republican, believing as he does, that prior to, and after the Civil War, including that great struggle, that is party proved itself of the best type ever know in American politics.
Mr. and Mrs. MILLIMAN attend the Baptist Church, of which she has been a member for over twenty years.
In reviewing this man's life, one scarcely knows what course to pursue, to recount in brief detail his checkered and eventful career. Considering that he is less than forty seven years of age, his personal history is one replete with events of more than ordinary interest. Having been bereft of his mother, the best friend a boy ever has, at so young and tender an age, in consequence of which he was thrown out on his own resources, to map out his future, unaided by the kind counsel of a mother, it is evident that he possessed sterling qualities, or he would not be the honorable and successful man he is today. He well remembers how hard he worked when a slender boy, at peeling hemlock bark and hauling the same to the tan yard in New York State, as well as hauling logs at the age of fifteen, the year before he threw his young patriotism, out of the regular course of events, found his way into the Union Army, where he wore the loyal blue, and was known to be the youngest soldier in his regiment, being Sergeant of his company. Notwithstanding his age he was never sick a day during the three years or more of his army life, except the time when he was wounded.
His business qualifications, and social qualities, have made him an efficient and popular man in the various communities in which he has lived.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 568, 569
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
FORD - Hon. Augustin W. FORD, banker at Logan, and a gentleman who has been prominently identified with Harrison County's history, for many years, traces his ancestry back to William FORD, who was born in Connecticut, February 23, 1771, and came to Ohio among the first settlers, and died in that State September 15, 1823. He was married to Sarah NORTH, December 15, 1824, by whom eleven children were born--Emily, Catharine, Julia, Joseph N., Ansel B., Amon, Nelson, Lucien B., Isaiah, Romanta, and William.
Joseph N., the father of our subject, was born in Ohio, March 24, 1801, and followed farming for a livelihood; he died December 16, 1861. He married Clarrissa WHEELER, December 15, 1824, and had a family of six children--Eliza, who died in infancy; Catherine, Jiles, Henry, Lavina, and Augustin W. who was born in Washington County, Ohio, December 25, 1839. He attended the district schools common to the Buckeye State at that time, and acquired a good business education. Upon the death of his father in 1861, and when he was twenty-two years of age, he took charge of the old homestead, and handled the business of the estate, which in the autumn of 1863 was closed out by the sale of the property, and in the spring of 1864 our subject started for Harrison County, Iowa, arriving April 14, his mother and wife accompanying him to the country. He was united in marriage March 22, 1864, to Elethe LORING, who died in Magnolia June 4, 1864. For his second wife Mr. FORD married Fannie S. MILLER, March 16, 1869. She was born in New York January 29, 1846, and is the youngest of a family of four children. Mr. and Mrs. FORD have been blessed with seven children--Annie W., born August 31, 1870; Frances M., November 29, 1872; Joseph N., August 4, 1874; Harry W., July 25, 1878; Clara L., September 26, 1880;Willie H., October 17, 1882, died February 14, 1884; Margaret M., born September 8, 1889.
The first two years of his residence in the county Mr. FORD lived upon a tract of land he bought near Magnolia, but in 1866 embarked in the mercantile business in a building used as a carpenter shop, which was built by William HEFFORD about 1861, which he moved to the corner where Dr. CLARK's drug store is now situated, and commenced business in January, 1866, continuing until the following autumn, when his brother Henry bought in with him, giving the firm style H. & A. W. FORD. This firm operated until January 1, 1868, when Henry sold to A. W., when he at once formed a partnership with Dr. W. F. CLARK and John NOYES, after which the firm name was CLARK, FORD & NOYES, who operated at Magnolia, then the county seat, and Mondamin, under the firm name of John NOYES & Co. Thus did business run until the spring of 1870, when NOYES took the store at Mondamin, and April 1, of the same year, our subject took the store at Magnolia, and continued until July 1, 1872, and then sold to S. L. BERKLEY.
Dr. CLARK, in company with M. HOLBROOK, started a bank at Magnolia about this time, and operated the same for two years, when CLARK bought HOLBROOK's interest, and upon Mr. FORD's disposing of his store, he formed a partnership with Dr. CLARK and went into the bank August 1, 1872, under the firm name of CLARK & FORD. Dr. CLARK immediately went to Boone and started the First National Bank at that place, leaving Mr. FORD to attend to business at Magnolia. In the fall of 1876 Mr. FORD bought his partner out, and thereafter operated in his own name, until April 1, 1879, when he sold a half interest to Dr. S. W. CLARK, and this firm are still doing business under the firm name of CLARK & FORD.
April 1, 1879, our subject bought out Mr. MILLIMAN's interest in the Harrison County Bank, and is still connected in the same with A. L. HARVEY.
Politically, Mr. FORD is identified with the Republican party, and in the fall of 1867 was elected Treasurer of Harrison County, serving two years, and in the autumn of 1877 was elected to a seat in the State Senate, holding a seat in that body during the Seventeenth and Eighteenth General Assemblies, in which position he proved himself a very valuable member. In the Seventeenth General Assembly he was made Chairman of the Committee on Public Lands, and the following session was made Chairman of the Committee on Banks. His district was well pleased with the record which he made while serving as State Senator.
In his religious belief, Mr. FORD accepts the orthodox theology, and is a consistent member of the Presbyterian church at Logan. He is a member of Chrysolite Lodge, No. 420, A. F. & A. M., at Logan.
He of whom this sketch is written, having been a resident of Harrison County for over a quarter of a century, has spent the best years of his life in various business callings, and in the performance of official duties, which have brought him in actual contact with nearly every free-holder in the county, and be it said to his credit, he is well and favorably spoken of throughout Western Iowa.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 569, 570, 571
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
FRENCH - Orlando L. FRENCH, furniture dealer at Missouri Valley, was born June 8, 1829, in Windsor County, Vt. He is a son of Carter and Betsy (SHURTLEFF) FRENCH. Two branches of the FRENCH family came to America in the seventeenth century, one from Wales and the other from Ireland, our subject belonging to the latter. His grandfather, Ephraim Carter FRENCH, was born in Vermont, and was noted for his skill as a fine cabinet-maker. Our subject's father was a farmer in Windsor County, Vt., and in 1853 the family removed to near Mendota, Ill., and continued farming until his death, which occurred in 1859. His mother died in 1876, and both were buried in the country cemetery near Mendota, Ill., called "Four Mile Grove Cemetery."
Our subject is the fourth child of seven born to his parents. Of this number five are still living. Elvira W., a maiden sister, is a resident of Ottawa, Ill.; Jasper H. is engaged in the grain and coal trade at the same place; Ephraim C., deceased, was buried at Eldora, Hardin County, Iowa. He died in 1885, leaving a wife and two children, who still reside at that place; Hosea V. resides at Woodstock, Vt., and is in the mercantile business. The sixth child died when two months of age. The youngest child, Jane E., is the wife of Chester MARTIN, and lives in Ottawa, Ill.
In 1851 our subject removed to Dixon, Lee County, Ill., working at the cabinetmaker's trade, he having served an apprenticeship in that craft at Woodstock, Vt., and Boston, Mass. In the spring of 1852 he went to St. Paul, Minn., where he engaged in the same business for a few months, when he was induced by George BROTT, a carriage manufacturer of St. Anthony's Falls, to build some sleighs for him, which he did. Mr. BROTT was soon elected Sheriff of this county, when he sold his shop to our subject, who continued the business, employing seven men. He was doing a prosperous business until the month of December, 1853, when misfortune overtook him; his manufactory burned, destroying $6,000 worth of new work. This left Mr. FRENCH without means, with some debts, which he afterward paid off, earning the money by days' work. Some of his creditors, out of sympathy for him in the loss he has sustained, presented him with bills receipted in full.
In the fall of 1854, his parents having moved to Illinois, he returned to that State and continued to work at his trade in Dixon until 1855, when, in company with his brother, E. C. FRENCH, he engaged in the furniture business at Mendota. His brother remained with him only one year, but our subject continued a business until 1861.
In the spring of 1862 he returned to Dixon and engaged in business until the following august, when he disposed of his interests and enlisted in what became Capt. James A. WATSON's "A" Company, Seventy-fifth Illinois Infantry. Dixon was the rendezvous of thirty companies. Our subject was made post Quarter-Master Sergeant of the regiment.
The regiment left Dixon October 1, for Louisville, Ky., and was there assigned the Thirtieth Brigade, commanded by Gen. Robert MITCHELL, and eight days after leaving home were in the battle of Perrysville, where the regiment lost more than three hundred men in killed and wounded. Immediately after this battle the army was marched to Nashville, Tenn., where the army corps were re-organized, the old Thirtieth was made the First Brigade of the First Division of the Army of the Cumberland, and was commanded by Col. P. Sidney POST, and on the 26th of December, were in the forward movement that culminated in the long and stubborn fight at Stone River. The regiment camped at Murfreesboro, where they remained until the following spring, and on the 28th of April, 1863, our subject was commissioned First Lieutenant and Adjutant. Adj. FRENCH was on duty with his regiment every day for the remainder of the year, and participated in all of its engagements and skirmishes, among which may be mentioned Liberty Gap, Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, and the assault on Bragg's left at Mission Ridge during the second day's fight, which materially hastened Mr. BRAGG's unceremonious retreat.
They camped in and around Chattanooga until spring, when they were put in the Fourth Army Corps, D. S. STANLY commanding, and were with Gen. W. T. SHERMAN in the Atlanta Campaign, during which time they were under fire sixty days. They were in the battles of Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Kingston, Kenesaw Mountain and Atlanta.
Our subject was left by the roadside near Marietta, Ga., being completely exhausted. He was picked up by an ambulance, carried to the field hospital, not regaining consciousness until the end of the fourth day. From there he was taken to the officer's hospital on Lookout Mountain, and after remaining in the hospital forty days he was allowed to join his regiment, when, his health again failing, he was sent home, where he remained about forty days, and then attempted to return to his regiment; but as there was no communication with his army corps at the time, he was assigned to duty at Chattanooga, as Adjutant General of a brigade of drafted men, recruits, substitutes, and men returning from furloughs who were not able to reach their commands. After two weeks about three thousand of these men were assigned as guard to accompany a herd of four thousand cattle, for SHERMAN's Army, with Adjutant FRENCH on duty as A. A. G. Col. ORR, 124th Indiana, in command of the troops
On arriving at Kingston, Ga., Adjutant FRENCH was relieved from duty and allowed to rejoin his regiment, which he did at Pulaski, Tenn., and was just in time to take a hand in the terrible battle of Franklin, Tenn., which soon followed; also in the battle of Nashville, under THOMAS, and the pursuit of HOOD's fleeing army in their mad hunt for the "last ditch;" resting for the winter at Huntsville, Ala., and the following spring were at Strawberry Plains, E. Tenn., at the time of LEE and JOHNSON's surrender; after which our subject returned to Chicago, receiving his final discharge July 1, 1865. After his discharge at Chicago Mr. FRENCH returned to Franklin Grove, Ill., and engaged in the furniture business, for one year; sold and went to Clinton, Iowa, where he worked at his trade one year. We next find him in Moingona, Boone County, Iowa, where he remained in the furniture business until the summer of 1872, when he went to Des Moines and was foreman of a large furniture factory for nearly three years, and from there he came to Missouri Valley, where he has made it his home ever since, with the exception of three years spent in Council Bluffs.
Politically, Mr. FRENCH has always been identified with the Republican party. At the general election of 1886, he was elected by the Republican party to the office of County Recorder, and re-elected in 1888, retiring from that office January 1, 1891.
Upon the organization of Belden Post, No. 59, Department of Iowa, G. A. R., he was made commander, and held the office for six years in succession.
Under Department Commander COOK was appointed Judge Advocate, and at the encampment held in Des Moines, in April, 1890, was elected Senior Vice-Commander of the Department of Iowa, and was Aid-de-Camp to General ALGER, Commander in Chief.
May 22, 1855, Mr. FRENCH was united in marriage to Lydia BROWN, a native of Vermont, the daughter of Rufus BROWN, a carpenter by trade. Her parents are both deceased and their remains repose in the cemetery at Warren, Vt.
Mr. FRENCH's life has been one full of interesting events. In looking over the names of Harrison County's business men, none stand higher in point of ability and integrity of character, than the man of whom we write this sketch.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 572, 573, 574
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index
CHASE - Asaph E. CHASE, a farmer residing on section 27, Jackson Township, was born at BIGLER's Grove, Harrison County, in November, 1852, and remained at home with his parents until he had reached the years of his majority, when he rented land for a year, and then bought a partly improved farm consisting of eighty acres. About this time he engaged in the photograph business, which he followed for three years. After leaving that business he removed to his farm, where he has made substantial improvements, including the erection of two good barns, the planting of an orchard of two hundred apple trees and other valuable additions to his premises. He is a son of Amos and Sarah CHASE, natives of Vermont, who had a family of four children--Anjean, Asaph, May and Milton A.
Our subject was married in January, 1876, to Agnes CLARK, the daughter of Sylvester and Margaret CLARK, natives of New York and Pennsylvania respectively. Their children were--Agnes, George, Jane (deceased), Sherman, and John (deceased).
Mr. and Mrs. CHASE are the parents of five children, born in the following order: Elsie M., November 230, 1877; Earl O., July 21, 1879; Minnie M., August 6, 1881; Scott C., June 7, 1883; Franklin R., June 14, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. CHASE are consistent members of the Latter Day Saints Church.
Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 574, 575
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index