Home Page

Harrison County Iowa Genealogy

Biographies - 1891 History of Harrison County Iowa

Page Thirty Eight

W Chambers | D Chambers | G McGavren | R Miller | J Anderson | Hauger | L Evans


CHAMBERS - William CHAMBERS, who came to Harrison County in the spring of 1869, located on section 5, of Washington Township, where he now lives. At first he bought forty acres, but his present farm consists of one hundred and fifty acres. He at one time owned three hundred acres, but finally sold and helped his children by getting teams, etc., for them. When he came to the township there was no school nearer than Union Grove, but being desirous to have a school for his children, he informed the School Board that if they would furnish the teacher he would provide the school room, which they concurred in, and a part of his house was used for a schoolroom. This was in the fall of 1870, and there were five terms of school taught in this place, before a schoolhouse was provided.

It may also be said that at the time of our subject's moving to Washington Township that subdivision of the county was not provided with a single wagon ridge. Mr. CHAMBERS built and kept in repair the ridge across Spring Creek, near his house, for fifteen years. His nearest market town was Council Bluffs, and his nearest post office Unionburg, at Union Grove, with Howard SMITH as Postmaster. When Woodbine was started this provided a new trading point, and upon one occasion he and his brother David went to Woodbine with hogs, and there being no bridges they laid boards down and hauled their wagons across by hand. They could cross with teams but not with a load.

Mr. CHAMBERS was born in Glasgow, Scotland, December 29, 1830, and in 1853 came to America, working his passage across the ocean, landing at New Orleans; he remained there a short time and then came up the river to where Kansas City now stands, and where there was no evidences of a town except a sawmill and a frame store building. The mill was owned by a Mr. MCGEE; and our subject worked for him hauling logs and goods to the store driving an ox-team. In July 1853, or 1854; he hired to drive a team across the plains to Salt Lake City, Utah. He was on the road three months, and while there worked in a sawmill, which was the first job that presented itself to him.

In 1850 Mr. CHAMBERS sent to Scotland for his father, mother and brother David, who came across the ocean and on by rail to Iowa City, Iowa, and joined the hand-cart caravan, in which the Mormons went across the plains to Utah, and they all came back to Council Bluffs in the spring of 1861, where they remained until our subject came to Harrison County. While at Council Bluffs he started a rope factory, which employed his time there; he also worked at that some after coming to Harrison County.

Our subject was married at Spanish Fork City, Utah, October 5, 1858, to Miss Louisa M. MCKEE. The ceremony was performed y Col. Stephen MARKHAM. They are the parents of twelve children-David R., born August 17, 1859; Thomas, October 21, 1861; William, October 27, 1863; William J., January 16, 1865; Mary J., June 3, 1867; James, December 15, 1869; Anna L., August 12, 1872; Robert, May 24, 1875; Elizabeth L., December 31, 1877; Flora M., June 29, 1880; Alfred, August 1, 1883, and Mabel F., October 18, 1886. William and Alfred are deceased.

Mrs. CHAMBERS was born in Hancock County, Ohio, January 13, 1842, and in 1854 her parents crossed the plains to Utah, where she remained until married.

David CHAMBERS, father of our subject, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1798, and died in Washington Township, Harrison County, Iowa, February 16, 1878. The mother of our subject, Mary (MALCOMB) CHAMBERS, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, 1798 and died in Washington Township February 14, 1872. Mrs. and Mrs. David CHAMBERS were the parents of nine children of who our subject was the fifth child. Mrs. CHAMBERS united with the Latter Day Saint's Church in the fall of 1862, and is now president of the "second quorum" of Elders.

There are but few men in any community who have passed through a more varied and checkered experience than the man of whom this sketch is written. Starting from his home in Scotland, in 1852, without means, making his passage across the ocean; becoming a day laborer and driver of ox-teams on the site of what now has grown to be the great metropolis of the West-Kansas City, when there were but two houses and one bond store in the place, and on across the plains of Nebraska and Colorado into the wilds of Utah, and back into the Hawkeye State, where he settled on forty acres of wild land, which through good management finally brought about his present well-to-do circumstances, this is a record not to be ashamed of, and may well be looked at with pride by those who come after him.

While in Utah, in 1855, our subject was located at a village called Palmyra, sixty miles south of Salt Lake City. The Utah Indians were on the war path and killed a large number of the whites and drove off six hundred head of stock from the herds. It was then that Col. CONOVER called for volunteers to go after the Indian thieves. The volunteers where to find their own horses and fire-arms and receive $5 per day. Mr. CHAMBERS was one of nearly two hundred who went on such an expedition. They crossed the Utah Lake on the ice, the distance across being about twelve miles. Onward they pressed and finally overtook the Indians and recovered the stolen stock. The trip consumed thirty-two days and the party were assured that as soon as proper papers, reports, etc. could be sent to Washington all should be paid. But our subject, for one, has looked for all these passing years and has never seen the promised paymaster!

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 420-422.
Chambers Family Researcher: Edith Reeves
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

CHAMBERS - David CHAMBERS (Portrait), one of the most extensive land owners in Harrison County, came to this section in the spring of 1869 and settled on section 4, of Washington Township, which at that time was included in Union Township. At first he bought forty acres of wild land and hauled the frame of a house which was to be 12x14 feet from Council Bluffs, where he bought the lumber and framed it. This building served as a residence for about four years, when he built a frame house 24x32 feet, with ten-foot posts. Mr. CHAMBERS lived on that farm until the spring of 1883, when he bought forty acres more of section 4, which he improved and from time to time added to it until he now owns four hundred and thirty-two acres of finely improved land in the locality, besides enough elsewhere to make six hundred acres in all.

Mr. CHAMBERS named Washington Township, as he got up the petition to have it set off from Union Township. All was then new and wild, and not a single wagon bridge had been built in that part of the country.

It may be of interest to the reader to know something of our subject's ancestors and his earlier life. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, June 16, 1841, and in March, 1856, sailed with his parents for America, arriving at Iowa City, Iowa, during the month of May that year, and from that point, which was then the capital of the State, they joined the handcart overland expedition made up of Mormons en route for Utah Territory. They started in May and arrived in Salt Lake City, in October, 1856-walking the entire distance-men, women and children-the smaller children being carried by their mothers, or hauled in the carts. Those of whom we write remained in that vicinity until 1869, when, as above stated, he came to Harrison County.

He was married June 21, 1867, in Pottawattamie County, to Mary MCKEE, who was born in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, August 18, 1849, and remained there with her parents until the date of her marriage.

David CHAMBERS Sr., father of our subject, was born in the North of Ireland, and came to this country as above described, and spent several years in Salt Lake City, and returned to Harrison County, Iowan, and died in February, 1880. His wife, the mother of our subject, Mary (MALCOMB) CHAMBERS, was also born in the North of Ireland, and departed this life in Harrison County, in February, 1872.

In explanation as to how the Mormon handcart caravan subsisted while crossing the great plains, it may be stated that ox-teams, sufficient to haul provisions, were driven, with cows giving milk, and other cattle which were killed for beef while enroute.

Politically our subject is a supporter of the Democratic party. Both he and his wife are devout members of the Latter Day Saints Church. He united with the Re-organized Church in 1863, and he is now Presiding Elder of the Little Sioux District, extending to the State Line north.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 791-792.
Chambers Family Researcher: Edith Reeves
To Page Index --- To Bio Index

MCGAVREN - George H. MCGAVREN, M.D., was among the pioneer band who found their way to Western Iowa, in 1954. Our subject was born March 8, 1919, in Indiana County, Pa., and is the son of George and Nancy (EWERT) MCGAVREN. He lived in Pottawattamie County, from 1854 to 1858, and was in partnership in the practice of medicine with his brother Dr. Robert MCGAVREN for thirteen years, and in 1868 removed to Missouri Valley, where he continued to practice, until the winter of 1888, when he received a fall on the street, which injury caused a derangement of his mind, and in 1889 it became necessary to send him to the asylum at Clarinda, where he still remains. Our subject was first married in October, 1859 to Lucinda FAUCHNAUT, and by this union five children were born: Maria, deceased; Viola, widow of Reuben PALMER; Charles William, M.D., at Missouri Valley; Lenora, wife of C. C. DORR, of Missouri Valley; and Jennie, wife of Lucien COOK, of the same place. The mother of these children, died December 23, 1861, and was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery, St. John�s Township. Our subject�s second marriage occurred in July, 1862, when he was united to Rosilla TERWILLIGER, a native of Clarion County, Pa. By this union five children were born, three of whom still survive: Robert C., of Missouri Valley; Hattie, wife of Mr. SHERWOOD, of Des Moines; and Nellie, is living with her mother in Missouri Valley.

Dr. MCGAVREN was elected as a member of the Iowa Legislature in 1869; serving one term. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity at Missouri Valley, and is a Republican of the deepest dye. He was at one time a member of the Odd Fellows lodge, and he and his estimable wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was at one time in partnership with Dr. COIT, and also with D. MCKELVY, and after his son Charles W. was graduated, they practiced together.

No man stood higher in the community, socially, professionally, and in a business point of view that did our subject, and the misfortune that overtook him toward the evening of his life was deplored by the whole community. He was Chairman of the first Board of the County Supervisors of Harrison County.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 659
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

MILLER - Reverdy J. MILLER, editor and proprietor of the Missouri Valley Eye, first associated himself with the interests of Harrison County in June, 1889, when he purchased the above-named newspaper plant from M. B. COX, and has conducted the same ever since, except about eight months, when it was in the hands of PETTIT& WILSON & E. F. WILSON.

To acquaint the reader with our subject's early life and family connection it may be stated that he is a native of Allamakee County, Iowa. His parents were George R. and Mary E. (BURCHINAL) MILLER, who resided at Rossville, Allamakee County, at the date of Reverdy J.'s birth. His parents were natives of the old Keystone State. The father received a liberal education and was admitted to the bar prior to the breaking out of the Civil War. In 1856 he came to Allamakee County, Iowa, and represented that county in the Twelfth General Assembly. In 1862 he enlisted as a member of Company I, Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry, and was made Captain of his company, serving until 1864, when he returned and practiced his chosen profession with eminent success. In 1869 he removed from Allamakee County to Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa, where he became a prominent citizen and social factor. He died at Mason City, October 29, 1885. His wife still lives at that place. It was said of Hon. George R. MILLER that his only failing was that "he was too good to his family," a record any son may well refer to with pride.

Reverdy J., of whom this sketch is written, commenced attending the common schools of Allamakee County in 1865. After the family removed to Mason City he graduated from the excellent High School in that city, in 1878, after which he followed teaching for a time. In 1881 he entered the State University at Iowa City, graduating from the law department in 1884, but he never followed this as a profession. After leaving college he engaged in the real-estate business at Mason City. He followed this until he came to Harrison County.

Politically Mr. MILLER votes the same ticket which his father faithfully supported for so many years---the Democratic, believing , as he does, that this party best serves the interests of the masses of American citizens and freeholders.

Mr. MILLER is a single man, and since 1885 has been publishing the Iowa Workman, which is the official organ of the Ancient Order of United Workmen for Iowa.

During the Indian troubles in Dakota in the winter of 1890-91 he was made correspondent for the New York Herald and was present in the wilds of the West during a greater part of that struggle. He is a practical newspaper man, thoroughly posted on all present-day topics, and one who is possessed of a quick, keen comprehension of all that is required of a modern-day journalist, in which role he is successful.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp.736-737
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

ANDERSON - John J. ANDERSON, an enterprising farmer of section 6, in Cass Township, has been a resident of Harrison County since the spring of 1881, and will form the subject of this notice. He is a native of Germany, born May 4, 1855. He remained in the Fatherland until 1865, and then came to America, in company with his mother. His father was Henry ANDERSON, born in Germany, in 1822 and died April 5, 1857. From New York harbor, they came by rail to Clinton County, Iowa. In his father's family, there were the following children�Lizzie, August, Peter W., Dora C., John J. and Mary. Lizzie died November 7, 1870 and Dora C., September 7, 1878.

After coming to Clinton County, our subject worked as a farm laborer by the month. He was ten years old at the time he came, and worked summers on the farm, and attended school winters, working for his board. After three years in that vicinity, he went to Scott County, Iowa, where he remained until he remained until he was eighteen years old, and then went to Pottawattamie County, and worked by the month five or six years, and then bought eighty acres of improved land. He purchased it with the crops on the ground, and paid $20 per acre, and after removing the crop, he sold it for the same price, and then moved to his present place.

He was married May 4, 1882, to Sophia KLOPPING, the daughter of August and Annie KLOPPING, who were the parents of ten children, of whom our subject's wife was the oldest�Sophia C., Henry F., deceased; Carl W., Edward, deceased; Adolph L., Annie M., Emma A., Louis L., August P. and Louise, deceased.

Mr. and Mrs. ANDERSON are the parents of four children--- Louisa, born February 28,1883; Anna A., April 15, 1884; Emma M., November 7, 1886; Dora, December 29, 1890. Three of these children are living.

When Mr. ANDERSON bought his present farm, it was wild land, consisting of one hundred and sixty-seven acres, for which he paid $12.50 per acre. He grubbed and broke out about eighty acres; built a comfortable house, set out an orchard of one hundred trees, together with a large amount of small fruit. He also has good outbuildings and a Halliday wind-mill. In order to secure this place, our subject was obliged to go in debt, $1,200, but being of an industrious turn of mind, and practicing economy on every had, he is now in possession of a comfortable and valuable home.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 747
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

EVANS - Lindley M. EVANS, a pioneer of 1854, whose present home is on the banks of Pigeon Creek, on section 33, of Cass Township, will form the subject for this sketch. His one of the many sons which the old Buckeye State has sent forth. He was born April 9, 1828, in Belmont County, Ohio, and is the son of Israel and Evalina W. (SMITH) EVANS. The father was a farmer, and emigrated to Harrison County, Iowa, in 1853, settling in Jefferson Township, where he died March 15, 1883.

Our subject attended school in Henry County, Ind., and completed his education in Pittsfield Seminary, Pike County, Ill. When about twenty-one years of age he started for himself, working on a farm in Pike County, Ill., receiving $12.00 per month in the last named county. He followed this for three years, and then attended school at Pittsfield, as above related. After he had finished his course he taught school in Pittsfield until he came to Iowa in 1854.

September 10, 1852, he was united in marriage to Miss Caroline GIBBS, daughter of Elias and Deborah (HAWKINS) GIBBS, who was the fourth child of a family of six children, born January 23, 1827. Mr. and Mrs. EVANS are the parents of ten children---Evaline W., Adaline M., Clementine M., who died when five months old, Frederick E., Israel W., Charles H., Carrie D., Lindley M., Walter S. and Theodore.

When our subject came to this county he was accompanied by his wife, one child and his sister Sarah; they made the journey overland, crossing the vast number of streams enroute, none of which had been bridged at that time. It will be remembered this was two years prior to the construction of any railroad west of the Mississippi River. They started with horse teams, but before they had gone far traded for two yoke of oxen, with which they made the journey in four weeks.

Mr. EVANS is a member of the Christian Church, to which he has belonged for forty years, and was ordained as one of its ministers in the summer of 1862, and it has been his sad duty to preach over seventy funeral sermons in Harrison County; he also officiated at and solemnized some forty marriages. He has been a Justice of the Peace twelve years. Politically, he is identified with the Republican party.

In 1888-89 he spent sixteen months in Dundy County, Neb., where he proved up a homestead in November, 1889; also has a tree claim in that county.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 746-747
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index

HAUGER - Peter HAUGER, was born in Somerset County, Pa., and moved to Westmoreland County. When eighteen years of age he went to learn the carpenter's trade, and when he became of age he came to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, near which city he worked on a farm one year. In 1861, he enlisted in the Union army. He enlisted April 15, for a term of three months and was in the following engagements: Wilson's Creek, where gallant Gen.. Lyons was in command of the Union forces and Gen. Price of the rebel force. Our subject was taken a prisoner of war at this place and held three months and finally released by Gen. Franz Sigel sending a flag of truce with ambulance wagons through the lines. Mr. HAUGER returned to Cedar Rapids in October, 1861 and in the spring of 1862 caught the war fever again, and in July he enlisted as a member of Company A. Twentieth Iowa Infantry, for the term of three years. He served in the following departments: he was in several battles in Missouri, including Prairie Grove, December 7,1862. In the spring of 1863 he was taken down the Mississippi to Vicksburg and after its surrender to New Orleans and across the Gulf of Mexico to the mouth of the Rio Grand River, where a heavy engagement ensued, having to fight their way up that stream to Brownville, where they made a stand in Ft. Brown and the Union forces drove them out finally. Our subject's company was then sent to Mustang Island, Tex. This was in November, 1863 and they remained there until the spring of 1864, guarding the works at Corpus Christi. We next find that they were in New Orleans, in August, 1874 and from there to Mobile Bay and aided in taking Ft. Morgan. Mr. HAUGER then took a furlough of sixty days and returned to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, returning to his regiment at the end of that time, finding them at Duvall's Bluffs, Ark. In the early spring of 1865 they went to New Orleans and from that point to Florida and then marched to the rear of Mobile and were at the taking of Ft. Blakesley. They were soon ordered to Mobile and there received the news of the close of the war; also of the assassination of President Lincoln, which was April 14, 1865. They remained there until June, 1866, when they returned to Clinton, Iowa, and were finally discharged, returning to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Mr. HAUGER then visited in Pennsylvania, returning in the spring of 1866 to Linn County, Iowa, and followed carpentering one year. In the spring of 1867, he went to Leavenworth, Kan., where he worked at his trade three months and then went to New Mexico and Colorado. He then went to Wyoming Territory, remaining one year, returning to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, but soon went back to Wyoming Territory, and there remained three years, coming back in 1871. In March of that year he was married to Miss Mary LICKTEBARGER, and by their union six children were born--- Harry, Franklin, Richard, Bertha, Mabel and Emma.

Mary HAUGER, wife of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania and died in Harrison County, Iowa, in June 1886, aged thirty-nine years. Mr. HAUGER married for his second wife, September 1, 1887, Mrs. Pauline STRODE. Mrs. HAUGER is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Politically, our subject is a Republican, and belongs to BOYD Post No. 397, G. A. R. at Modale.

In conclusion it should be stated that Mr. HAUGER is the son of Isaac and Elizabeth (SHAWLY) HAUGER, both natives of Pennsylvania. He came to Harrison County in the spring of 1881, and now resides on section 23, of Clay Township.

Source: 1891 Harrison County Iowa History, pp. 745-746
Family Researcher: NA
To Page Index--- To Bio Index



Return to Harrison County Home Page