REV. WILLIAM EDWIN HOWE, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Guthrie Center, Iowa, is a native of Clarion county, Pennsylvania, born in West Freedom, August 30, 1849. His early years were spent in his native county and when a youth of sixteen he came with his parents to Muscatine, Iowa, where he soon afterward secured a position as deputy in· the post-office, and served as such four years. During the time he served in the post-office he made up two years' preparatory study in Greek and Latin, and in 1876 he entered Garrett Biblical Institute, where he graduated May 5, 1879-receiving the degree of B. D. Previous to deciding upon his life work, Mr. Howe spent one year in the -study of law at Muscatine.· In 1880 he was admitted to the Des Moines Conference, and his first appointment was at Altoona, where he served as pastor one year.· Afterward he filled appointments successively at Carlisle, two years; Farmer City, one year; Hamburg, three years; Sidney, three years; Shelby, two years; and since 1892 has served as pastor of his present charge at Guthrie Center.
Mr. Howe is a man of strong individuality and is thoroughly in earnest in his work. As a temperance worker and an advocate of all moral reforms he is as radically in earnest as he is in the spread of the gospel, and his labors at the various stations where he has been located have been attended with success. During his pastorate here at Guthrie Center he has had over two hundred accessions to the church. The Methodists at this place erected their house of worship in 1891, at a cost of about $12,000, and they own a parsonage which is valued at $1,500.
Of Mr. Howe's family history we would also make mention in this connection. His parents were the Rev. Jared and Mary Ann (Young) Howe. His father was a native of Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, born in the year 1812. At about the age of thirty-five years he entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church, joining the Erie Conference, and to the work of the ministry he devoted the rest of his active life. After his removal to Iowa he retired, sustaining a supernumerary relation to the conference. He died at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, in December, 1871. His wife survived him until December, 1883. The Howes are of Scotch origin, have had among their ranks many professional men, and have been noted for longevity. The Young family, of which Mrs. Howe was a member, are descended from the Irish, and they are an exceptionally long-lived family, averaging seventy years: Rev. Jared Howe and his wife had five sons and three daughters, all of whom are living, namely: Morrison Y., a prominent educator, having been principal of the First ward school in Muscatine, for nineteen consecutive years; John E., one of the leading architects of Muscatine; Jennie, a resident of that place; Simeon K., an attorney of Kansas City, Missouri; Horatio S., an architect and builder; William E., whose name appears at the head of this review; Luella H., wife of John S. Lyon, a contractor and builder, now in Texas; and ·Leona E., assistant principal of the Muscatine high school. Two of the sons, Simeon K. and Horatio S., were Union soldiers in the Civil war.
The Rev. William E. Howe was married in Muscatine, Iowa, September 16, 1880, to Miss Adda Boydston, a native of that place and a daughter of James and Mary Boydston. Mr. and Mrs. Howe have had four children,-.Mary Myrtle, Edwin Raymond, Mabel Estelle and Robert Edmund. All are living except Edwin R.
JAMES FRANKLIN WOODY, Clerk of the District Court, is one of the leading arid representative citizens of Guthrie county, Iowa, where his birth occurred on the 2d of August, 1859. His parents were John W. and Clarissa C. (Henderson) Woody. The father was born in Indiana in 1828, and enlisted in the Second Indiana Infantry for the Mexican war, serving for one year under the command of General Taylor.
After receiving his discharge he came to Iowa, in 1848, and on the 28th "day of August, 1854, married Miss Henderson, also a native of Indiana, born in 1837, who with her parents came to Iowa in 1853, locating on a farm in Jackson township, Guthrie county. They were the fourteenth couple married in the county of which they are honored pioneers, and they lived on a farm in Jackson township until within a few years, .when they sold out and removed to Guthrie Center, where they now reside. On the breaking out of the Civil war, the father again offered his services, enlisting as a member of Company I, Twenty ninth Iowa Infantry, with which he served from 1862 until the close of hostilities, being with the western army. The family consists of three sons and one daughter, of whom James F. is the eldest. Florida E is the wife of J. R. Morris, a farmer of Brule county, South Dakota. Ulysses G., a mechanic, resides at home with his parents. Charles w. is married and resides at Salida, Colorado, being an employee of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Company. The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics the father is a Republican. The family traces its genealogy back to Scotland, and the founders of the family in this country first located in North Carolina. The maternal grandfather of our subject, James Henderson, was a Protestant Irishman, born in Tennessee.
In the common schools and the county high school of Guthrie county, James F. Woody received his education, and on the homestead farm was reared to manhood. He taught school for several terms, mostly in this county, though for two terms he followed the same occupation in Dakota. He devoted eight years of his life to the service of the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, being bill clerk in the freight office for three years, and the remainder of the time serving as ticket and express clerk. In 1894 he became the Republican candidate for the office of Clerk of the District Court, and on being elected took possession of the office on the 1St of January, 1895. He is now acceptably serving in that capacity, giving general satisfaction.
On the 11th of November, 1880, were united the destinies of Mr. Woody and Miss Tacy P. Morris, a sister of J. R. Morris, who married our subject’s sister. The lady is a daughter of J. J. and Sarah (Reynolds) Morris, natives of Ohio and Indiana, respectively, and they now make their home in Stuart, Iowa. Eight children were born to them, six sons and two daughters. The father was one of the honored pioneers of Guthrie county. Three children grace the union of our subject and his estimable wife, namely: Ivan L., Bertha and Elsie, all now attending school.
In his social relations, Mr. Woody is prominently connected with the Masonic order, being a member of Token Lodge, No. 304, F. & A. M.; Damascus Chapter, No. 97, R. A. M.; and Alhambra Commandery, No. 58, K. T., the last two of Stuart. He also holds membership with the Knights of the Maccabees, being a charter member and Commander of Garfield Tent, No. 58; and belongs to Bower Camp, No. 1485, Modern Woodmen of America. He and his wife are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in the work of which they take an active part; while in politics he is an earnest Republican, taking a deep interest in political affairs, and being a leader in the councils of his party.
HON. GEORGE JENKINS MARIS. Among the prominent citizens of Iowa probably none are better known or held in higher esteem than the gentleman with whose name we are pleased to introduce this sketch. He has been a resident of this State since 1858 and of Guthrie county since 1872, his present residence being in Seeley township and Wichita his post-office.
George J. Maris was born in a log cabin among the hills of Morgan county, Ohio, June 17, 1841, a son of pioneers of the Western Reserve. His father, Owen Maris, was born in Delaware county, Pennsylvania, son of David and Sarah (Fawkes) Maris. The Maris family were among the most prominent people of Delaware county, Pennsylvania. In their religious belief they were Quakers. Their history is traced back to England and to one George Maris, a Quaker, who was persecuted there on account of his religion and who sought refuge and freedom in America, landing here August 25, 1683. He acquired large tracts of land in Delaware county, Pennsylvania.
When Owen Maris was a young man he removed with his father to Jefferson county, Ohio, locating near Mt. Pleasant, where they were among the pioneer settlers. He was married in that county to Miss Rachel Jenkins, a member of one of the leading families in the county and a relative of George J. Jenkins, who was honored by General Grant with an appointment to a prominent position in Indian affairs. The Jenkinses, too, trace their ancestry back to the English. Mrs. Owen Maris died when the subject of our sketch was six months old. She was a woman of more than ordinary intelligence and force of character, and was the mother of a large family of children, eight in number, namely: Sarah Plummer, Marshall J., Mary Ann Penrose, Phoebe B. Wright, Rebecca Smith, Clark T., George J. and one who died in infancy. The father of our subject died in Iowa, at the age of sixty-five years. He was by trade a carpenter, and in religion, like his forefathers; he was a Quaker.
George J. Maris, the immediate subject of our sketch, spent his boyhood days in his native State and received his education in its public schools. At the age of seventeen he came out to Keokuk county, Iowa; where he spent three years, returning at the end of that time to Ohio. The following year, 1862, he came back to Iowa, this time taking up his abode at Spring Dale, Cedar county, where he bought a farm and where, June 2, 1865, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Smith, who was born in Erie county, New York, a member of a highly respected family. Her parents, Gilbert and Lydia (Palmerton) Smith, were natives of Vermont, and her father is now a resident of Wichita, Iowa. Her mother is deceased. Their family is composed of the following members: Nathan E., deceased; Emily Harris, of Erie county, New York; Daniel W., Des Moines, Iowa; Hannah, wife of Jesse Binford, of Iowa; and Mary E. Maris. Mrs. Maris was a little girl of six years at the, time she came with her parents to Iowa, their settlement being in Cedar county, where she was reared and educated. Mr. and Mrs. Maris have had seven children, viz.: Emma B., bookkeeper in the State Treasurer's office, Des Moines; Eva P., wife of D. Spear, of this county; Lydia C., of St. Luke Hospital, Duluth, Minnesota; Emily R., a graduate of St. Luke Hospital; Walter S. and Florence L., at home. They lost one child in infancy. All have had good educational advantages and three of the family have at times been successful teachers.
In 1872 Mr. Maris removed to his present farm, 260 acres, in Seeley township, one of the best farms in all the country round, having substantial and attractive improvements and being under a high state of cultivation. Among the improvements we note a comfortable residence, good barns and other farm buildings, modern windmill, orchard of choice fruits and a ten-acre grove.
Politically, Mr. Maris has always given his support to the Republican party and is regarded as one of its "wheelhorses" in this county and district. In 1875 he was honored by election to the Iowa State Legislature and served as a member of the Sixteenth General Assembly, making a creditable record therein. Also he has on various occasions been elected to fill local offices. He served two terms as Treasurer of Guthrie county, has been a member of the High School Board, and to what ·ever position he has been called he has performed prompt and faithful service. Such, in brief, is a sketch of the life of one of Guthrie county’s best citizens.
CALVIN OTHELLO SONES, M. D., is one of the leading members of his profession in Guthrie county, Iowa, his location being at Panora. He was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, August 14, 1853, son of George W. and Margaret (Lockard) Sones, both natives of Pennsylvania and now' residents of Anamosa, ,Jones county, Iowa, their removal to this State being in 1855. George W. Sones in early life followed the trade of carpenter and builder, but later bought a farm and settled down to agricultural pursuits. During the war he served for over two years as a member of the Twenty-fourth Iowa Infantry, his command being in the Western Division, and as a soldier made a good record. He and his wife have five children.
Their son, Calvin O., received his early training in the public schools, after which he entered Cornell College, Iowa, where he graduated with a class of thirteen in the year 1881. In the meantime he taught school several terms and after leaving college continued teaching until 1883. That year he began the study of medicine under the instructions of Drs. Gowley & Packard, prominent physicians of Iowa, and later took a course in the medical department of the Iowa State University in Iowa City, at which institution he was graduated with a class of thirty-eight students in the year I886. That same year he came to Panora, opened an office, and soon built up a lucrative practice, which he still conducts. Feeling the need for still further preparation for his professional duties and wishing to keep abreast with the times, he went to Chicago, Illinois, where he pursued a course of post-graduate work in 1892, and again a similar course in 1893.
He has pleasant and nicely furnished office rooms on the south side of the main business square and gives his whole time and attention to the demands of his practice, which extends into the surrounding country for several miles. Both by education and natural ability is Dr. Sones fitted for the profession he has chosen. He is a member of the Board of Health of Panora, is identified with both the County and State Medical Societies, and keeps himself well posted in everything pertaining to the rapid advancement now made by the science of medicine.
Dr. Sones has an elegant and modern residence, surrounded with an attractive lawn, and everything about the place giving evidence of culture and refinement. He was married at Maxwell, Iowa, May 10, 1888, to Miss Amy F. French, an accomplished and amiable lady, like himself a graduate of Cornell College, she being a member of the class of 1885. Her father, J. O. French, a native of New Hampshire, came to Iowa in 1872 and located in Olin, Jones county, removing to Story county in 1882, where he died in 1887. Her mother, nee Ellen Hutchinson, is a native of Vermont, and now resides in Maxwell, Iowa. The Doctor and his wife have two daughters, Helen M. and Gertrude. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and, fraternally, he maintains a membership in good standing in Panora Lodge, No. 121, A. F.·& A. M., K. of P. No. 176, and Sons of Veterans, Camp No. 91.
WELLS WENTWORTH EATON, dealer in grain and coal, Panora, Iowa, occupies a leading position in the business circles of this place. ·He has maintained his residence in Iowa for a period of forty-two years, nearly the whole of his life, and he is; therefore, entitled to biographical mention in connection with other representative citizens of his county.
Mr. Eaton dates his birth in Green county, Wisconsin, April 8, 1853. His father, Wells Eaton, deceased, was the son of English parents and was born on the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia. He was there reared and married, the lady of his choice being Miss Mary Wood, who, like himself, was born and reared in Nova Scotia. They came to the United States about 1844 and settled in Allamakee county, Iowa, in 1853. Wells Eaton was a hardy pioneer, was by occupation a calker of vessels, and was for years employed by the well known Alexander McGregor, an old Mississippi boatman. In Allamakee county Mr. Eaton spent the remainder of his life, and died at the age of fifty-nine years, his death occurring on the farm he had acquired there. He was a man of deep religious convictions and was identified with the United Brethren Church. Politically he was a Republican. His widow is still living, is now seventy years of age and makes her home in Postville, Iowa. They had eleven children, namely: Albert, Edwin, Maggie, Wells W., Etta, Eunice, Amanda, Eliza, Frank, Scott and Alfred. All are living except Albert and Alfred, and four have been popular and successful teachers-Eunice, Amanda, Eliza and Wells W.
Wells W. Eaton, the subject of this review, was reared on his father's farm in Allamakee county, Iowa. His education was received in the public schools and at Waukon College, and at the early age of eighteen he began teaching. His career as a teacher covered a number of years and included twenty-six school terms, during which time he gained a wide acquaintance and a popularity with the best people among whom he taught. In 1875 .he purchased a farm of eighty acres near Yale, Guthrie county, and for the next sixteen years devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits in which he was fairly successful. On retiring from his farm he moved to Panora, where he has since been largely interested in a grain and coal business. His elevator has a capacity for 6,000 bushels of wheat and 8,000 bushels of corn.
Mr. Eaton was married in Allamakee county, in 1875, to Miss Ella E. Hall, who was .born and reared in this State, daughter of Reuben K. and Elizabeth (Desbrough) Hall, both deceased, her father having died in Guthrie county, and her mother in Allamakee county. Mr. Hall was an old soldier, a member of the Twenty-seventh Iowa Infantry, in which he served as Sergeant, and made a record as a gallant soldier. Mr. Hall was a relative of Reuben Knox, of Kentucky fame, and was named in honor of him, his middle name being Knox. Mr. and Mrs. Eaton have four children, Cloy W. and Myrta M., both graduates of the Panora high school with the class of 1895, and Harvey H. and Flossie F.
Mr. Eaton is a man of broad and progressive views, gives his support to the advancement of religious and educational interests, and is regarded as one of the leading citizens of his place. He has served on the School Board, and at this writing is Town Recorder. Politically he is a Republican. Fraternally he maintains a membership in the Knights of Pythias Lodge, No. 176, and the Modern 'Woodmen, No. 1717, both of Panora; and both he and his wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is Steward.
R.M. FEE, M. D., is numbered among the progressive young physicians of Warren county, Iowa. He is a graduate of the Keokuk College of Physicians and Surgeons with the class of 1888, has been engaged in the practice of his profession at his present location, New Virginia, since May, 1890, and during the five years of his residence here has by his gentlemanly bearing and his ability as a physician won the confidence of the people of the town, and established himself in a good practice, which is constantly increasing. In this connection we are pleased to present some personal mention of him.
Dr. Fee is a native son of Iowa. He was born in Dallas county, March 25, 1863, being fourth in order of birth of the thirteen children of Isaac and Lovisa A. (Slaughter) Fee. Ten of this large family survive, namely: Lovina, wife of W. C. Pugh, Guthrie county, Iowa; John H., Beatrice, Nebraska; Carrie, wife of Jesse Thornburg, St. Maria, Colorado; R. M., the subject of this article;· William, Van· Meter, Iowa; Alfred H., Adel, Iowa; Abby, wife o(F. Maulsbey, McPherson county, Kansas; Thomas, Redfield, Iowa; Sarah A., wife of Frank Bosdeck, Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Ella, wife of Robert B. Shaver, Guthrie county, Iowa. Isaac Fee, the father, was born in Gallia county, Ohio, in the year 1823, son of Jacob Fee. The latter , was a native of Pennsylvania and one of the early settlers of Ohio; reared a large family in Ohio, and spent the rest of his life and died there. . In Ohio Isaac Fee grew to manhood and married Miss Lovisa A. Slaughter. He was engaged in farming in that State until 1851, when he emigrated to Iowa, locating on the present site of East Des Moines, where he remained about six years, removing thence to Dallas county, where he has since lived, his attention being given to agricultural pursuits. The Doctor's mother is likewise a native of Gallia county, Ohio, the date of her birth being 1834; she is of Scotch origin. Her father, Joel P. Slaughter, was a native of Pennsylvania, and died of starvation in Libby prison, having entered the Union service as a member of an Illinois regiment. Grandmother Adna Slaughter spent her closing years and died in Fulton county, Illinois.
Dr. Fee owns one of the most attractive homes in the town, which is presided over by his charming and accomplished wife. He was married February 15, 1892, to Miss. Elsie A. Reed, daughter of Jacob A. and Charlotte Reed. Her father was a veteran of the Civil war, having served in Company K, One Hundred and Second Illinois Regiment. He died about three years ago. Her mother resides in New Virginia.
In his political views Dr. Fee harmonizes with the Republican party. Fraternally, he is an Odd Fellow, and religiously both he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
CHARLES ASHTON, editor of The Guthrian, at Guthrie Center, Iowa, was born in Lincolnshire, England, June 2, 1823. His parents emigrated to this country in 1832 and settled on a farm in Richland county, Ohio, where he grew up to manhood, having only the slight educational advantages of the district school of that place and period for parts of three winter terms. In his twenty-second year he was happily married to Miss Mary, daughter of James and Mary Haverfield, of the same neighborhood, her birth having occurred on the farm on which they were married. After their marriage they settled on a piece of woodland in Hardin county, Ohio, to clear a farm, with the expectation that farming would be their life work.
In 1852, associating himself with a brother, he entered the drug and book business, locating in Kenton, the county seat of Hardin county, Ohio. Soon thereafter he was licensed as a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in 1860·entered the itinerant work. In October, 186I, he met with a severe accident that crippled him for life. In the fall of 1864 he renewed itinerant labor, and in the fall of 1870 was transferred from the Central Ohio to the Des Moines Annual Conference of that church and did nine years effective work in western Iowa. Retiring from the itinerant field in the spring of 1879, he assumed the editorship of The Guthrian, a Republican paper published at Guthrie Center, Iowa, and in that position has now done seventeen years' efficient work for his party and society, continuing his· membership in the Des Moines Annual Conference, in a superannuated relation.
In the early months of 1879 he originated the project of the Guthrie & Northwestern Railroad, the branch of the Rock Island now running from Menlo to Guthrie Center, and was instrumental in the organization of the company which effected the building of that road. He was elected president of the company, and devoted faithful and persistent work to effect the construction of the road, which was built in the summer of 1880.
In 1891 he was appointed by the executive council of the State of Iowa the member of the Iowa Columbian Commission for the Ninth Congressional District of the State, and in .that office he ably and industriously served. As chairman of the archeological, historical and statistical committee of the commission he wrote and superintended the publication and distribution of The Hand Book of Iowa, of which 25,000 copies were published and distributed. The work received high praise. In August, as a member of the horticultural committee of the commission, he was given the superintendency of the horticultural exhibit, and under his direction and encouragement Iowa made one of the very finest pomological displays shown in the great Chicago exposition of the world's resources and productions.
In his early manhood he advocated the emancipation of the slave, and early, with voice, example and pen, advocated total abstinence from the use of whatever would intoxicate. From the organization of the Republican party he favored its principles with inflexible fortitude. Throughout his manhood he has ever been known as an advocate of sobriety and good government and the promotion of all liberal enterprises and the best possible educational interests in the communities in which he has resided.
June 26, 1895, Mr. and Mrs. Ashton celebrated the golden anniversary of their wedded life. To them in that life, eleven children-seven sons and four daughters-were born. Six of the sons and three of the daughters yet survive.
CHARLES ERIC PETERSON, proprietor of a finely appointed livery establishment and dealer in marble and granite, of Panora, Iowa, is one of the enterprising men and leading citizens of this place. The greater part of his life has been spent in Guthrie county: and he is thoroughly identified with its interests. It is therefore appropriate that some personal mention be accorded him in this work, and the following brief sketch will be of interest in this connection.
Mr. Peterson, as his name suggests, is a native of Sweden. He was born on the 13th of March, 1848, and, being left an orphan at an early age with no heritage save an untarnished name, the success he has attained in life is due entirely to his own efforts. His widowed mother came to America when he was but a child of about four years, and he was the youngest of the three boys. The mother was taken with that dread disease, consumption, soon after she arrived in this country, and died in Galesburg, Illinois, about three years later; the brothers afterward were separated. The second brother, John, died near Monmouth, Illinois, in 1858, at the age of about sixteen. The older brother, Peter, was a resident of Texas when the Civil war began, and was drafted into the Rebel service; but he soon made his escape to Mexico and enlisted in the Union army, as soon as he had an opportunity, and served until the close of the war. He died in Texas a few years later (about 1868), after having accumulated a considerable fortune; but what remained after his death was all smuggled away, so that Charles E., the only heir, never received one cent,-not even an article to keep as a memento! Charles E. found a home with John S. Hamilton and came with him to Panora, in September, 1856, and with him he lived until 1869.
He acquired his primary education in the public schools, and previous to the age of thirteen took but little interest in his studies. At about this time he began to realize the importance and need of an education, and resolved to devote himself to its acquisition. He attended school a few months in the winter season, and the knowledge there acquired, supplemented by private study, enabled him to secure a teacher's certificate when he was twenty years of age. By teaching in the country schools of Iowa and Kansas he earned the money to pay his own way through the Iowa State Agricultural College, where he was graduated in 1875, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Science. After this he taught one year in the public schools of Panora, and three years in the Guthrie county high school. As a teacher be was popular and successful, and made hosts of friends, both among his pupils and patrons. In 1880 he engaged in his present business, to which he has given his close and earnest attention for fifteen years, meeting with well merited success.
Mr. Peterson was married on the 20th of May, 1891, to Mrs. Maggie Harper, nee Caskey, who was born and reared in Iowa. By her former marriage she had two children,-Joseph and .Minnie.
Fraternally, Mr. Peterson is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging to Panora Lodge, No. 145, in which he has passed all the chairs. He also holds a membership in Fraternity Lodge, No. 176, K. of P., of which he is a charter member, and in which he has filled all the chairs. As a popular and progressive business man and as a worthy citizen he is entitled to the high esteem in which he is held.
HENRY CULBERTSON, Panora, Iowa, has maintained his residence in Guthrie county since the year 1861, and by virtue of his long residence here is entitled to representation among its pioneer settlers and representative citizens.
Henry Culbertson is a native of Cleveland, Ohio, born December 9, 1825. Alexander Culbertson, his father, was born in the north of Ireland, of Scotch-Irish parentage, and was a worthy representative of the race from which he sprang. His father, Alexander Culbertson, Sr., also was a native of the Emerald Isle. The father of our subject came to the United States when a boy and was reared in Pennsylvania and Ohio. He married Miss Mary Longabaugh, a native of Pennsylvania and a member of a Pennsylvania-Dutch family noted for their frugality. Some time after their marriage they moved to Cleveland, Ohio, and subsequently to Huron county, that State, where the father died at the age of eighty-four years. Early in life he learned the trade of millwright, which he followed for some years, but later gave his attention to agricultural pursuits and developed a good farm in Huron county. His wife died at the age of forty-two years. Both were members of the Christian Church. In their family were the following nan1ed children: William, Henry, Jacob, Julia and Mary.
Near Massillon, in Stark county, Ohio, Henry Culbertson was reared, receiving a common- school education only. When he was sixteen he began to learn the trade of harness-maker, served an apprenticeship of four years under a Mr. McLaughlin, and in that time became an expert workman. Afterward he traveled throughout Ohio, and as a journeyman was employed at different times in a number of cities and towns, among which were Cincinnati, Columbus, Marietta and New Cumberland. Also for a time he was employed at Fort Wayne, Indiana. At New Cumberland, Ohio, he engaged in business for himself, and while there, at the age of twenty-seven, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary McGregor, of Scotch descent, born near Richmond, Ohio, and a daughter of Willson McGregor, late of Tuscarawas county.
Mr. Culbertson continued his residence in New Cumberland, Ohio, until 1861, when he removed to Iowa, making the journey from that State to this by wagon, and on his arrival here settling in Guthrie county, where he engaged in general merchandising at Panora. Subsequently he was appointed Postmaster by President Lincoln and served as such three years. Then for several years he lived on his farm near Panora, and since 1891 has made his home in town. In 1894, wishing to have his time occupied, he purchased a harness shop which he is now running, and, although well along in years, his hands have not forgotten the cunning of their younger days. He keeps a well-selected stock of harness and saddlery and does a general repair business. Mr. Culbertson still owns his farm, a valuable one comprising 160 acres, well improved with good buildings, etc., and located a mile and a half from Panora.
Mr. and Mrs. Culbertson have three sons, namely: Leroy, who lives on and conducts the operations of his father's farm; Sherman, a Iumber dealer and one of the successful business men of Jefferson, Iowa; and Frank, also engaged in the lumber business at that place. They lost two daughters, Marietta, who died in early childhood, and Nettie at the age of twelve years. Leroy married Miss Mary Brown, and .they have three children,-Max, Rex and Verne.
Besides the position of Postmaster Mr. Culbertson has filled a number of local offices in the township, his service always being performed in a manner creditable alike to himself and his constituents. He is a Republican. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has served as Steward.
REV. CHARLES J. ENGLISH. Prominent among the able clergy of the Methodist Episcopal Church in his own conference is found the subject of this brief review, Rev. Charles J. English, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Panora, Iowa. He is a man whose life work has been a power for good, and in view of what he is and what he has accomplished it is particularly consistent that he find representation in the volume which has to do with the worthy residents of Iowa which has been and is the scene of his effective labors.
Charles J. English was born in Nodaway county, Missouri, January 30. 1855. His father, William K. English, deceased, was a native of Platte county, Missouri, was born January 19, 1830, and was by occupation a farmer. He was married in Platte county to Miss Lydia Elizabeth Fox, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of Jacob Fox, a descendant of an old Pennsylvania-Dutch family. Wilson Fox, an uncle of Mr. English, was a soldier in the Mexican war. In 1857 William K. English and his family removed to Leavenworth county, Kansas. He took an active part in the border ruffian struggles and in advancing the abolition cause. He served 100 days in the Civil war. In 1866 he went to Cloud county, Kansas, where he took up a homestead and was instrumental in the organization of Concordia. He resided in Kansas until the fall of 1875, at that time removed to a place near Prescott, Arizona, and three years later went to Frisco, Utah, where he passed the rest of his life, his death occurring in September, 1884, at the age of fifty-four years. His wife still resides there. They had five children, one daughter and four sons. The daughter, Mary Catherine, born December 8, 1852, died in infancy. The sons are Charles J., whose name heads this article; Robert W., of Chico, California; Henry F., Frisco, Utah; and George A., also of Chico, California. The father was a consistent member of the Disciple Church, as also is the mother.
Charles J. English was reared on his father's farm in Kansas and passed his boyhood in doing such work as was found on a pioneer farm of the Sunflower State. His education was received in the common schools, Concordia high school and the State Normal. He learned the trade of printer and February 2, 1882, became editor of the Concordia Empire, one of the pioneer papers of western Kansas, which he edited for some two years. After selling it he established and edited the Concordia Times, both a daily and weekly paper, its first issue coming out under date of March 28, 1884, and he continued its publication until January 16, 1885, when he became associate editor and business manager of the Kansas Methodist. Through the columns of his paper he ably advocated the prohibition cause and in this way exerted an influence which was widespread and which was a power for good.
In 1886 Mr. English joined the Northwest Kansas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His first appointment was at Lenora, Kansas, which he filled acceptably one year. The next two years he was pastor at Glen Elder, Kansas. In 1889 he came to Iowa. For one year he served the church at Desoto, from there came to Panora, and here he has labored efficiently and acceptably for five years.
He was married in Concordia, Kansas, in April, 1876, to Miss Minnie I. Bradford, an accomplished and refined lady who was educated in the State Normal of Kansas. She is a daughter of Arwin A. Bradford, who was born in Franklin county, Vermont, October 5, 1828, son of Joseph Bradford, also a native of the Green Mountain State and a descendant of Governor Bradford, of Mayflower fame, and of Percy, nee Darrow; the latter was a native of New England and·a daughter of Captain Darrow, a Revolutionary officer who was of Scotch-Irish origin. Arwin A. Bradford was one of a family of twelve children,- six sons and six daughters. His parents lived in Vermont and died there, his father at the age of sixty years and his mother at seventy-five. When Mr. Bradford was twenty years old he left the scenes of his childhood and the Green Mountain State and came ,vest to Sheboygan county, Wisconsin, and there the following year he was married to Miss Alma S. Bowen, a native of Pennsylvania and a daughter of William and Elizabeth (Thorp) Bowen, both of whom died In Wisconsin. After his marriage Mr. Bradford settled in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in working at the trade of carpenter and wagon-maker up to the time of the Civil war.
In the first year of the war he enlisted as a member of the Fourteenth Wisconsin Infantry, Company A, and served until 1865, when he was honorably discharged. At Shiloh and Pittsburg Landing he sustained serious injuries, at the latter place having his knee-cap broken. He participated in numerous engagements, and was honored by promotion to the position of Assistant Quartermaster of a Tennessee colored regiment. At the close of the war he returned to Fond du Lac, in 1866 removed from there to Cloud county, Kansas, and in 1873 located in Concordia, that State, where he has since made his home. His family is composed of seven children, namely: H. J., foreman in the roundhouse at Dodge City, Kansas; Clara, wife of a Mr. Chaplin, a railroad man of Chicago; Minnie, wife of Rev. C. J. English; Fannie G., wife of Dr. Thornton, Glen Elder, Kansas; Kittie, wife of Charles F. Horne, Mankato, Jewell county, Kansas; Mamie E., wife of a Mr. Clark, of Elba, Nebraska; and I. A., who resides at Emporia, Kansas. Mr. Bradford is a member of the G. A. R., and for over forty years both he and his wife have been active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. and Mrs. English are the parents of four children, -Myrtle May, George F., Grace A. and Jessie B., deceased.
In politics Mr. English has always acted with the Republican party, and while in Kansas took an active part in furthering the Republican interests of that State. He has traveled extensively, has broad and progressive views, is decidedly an optimist, and is a most worthy representative of the church of his choice.
GEORGE HENRY MOORE, president of the Guthrie County National Bank, Panora, Iowa, is one of the pioneer settlers of the State, he having resided here for a period of thirty years.
Mr. Moore is a native of Fauquier county, Virginia, born June 12, 1827. His father, Presley Moore, a native of the Old Dominion, of English descent, and a soldier in the war of 1812, was married in 1824 to Miss Christina Mann, a native of Virginia and a daughter of George Mann, who was of German descent. Presley Moore's useful career was cut short when he was in the prime of life, meeting death through an accident when he was thirty-eight years of age. He left a widow and four children, namely: Angeline McKay, a resident of Greene county, Ohio; George H., whose name appears at the head of this article; Eliza Mann, who resides at Baxter Springs, Kansas; and James F., a Union soldier, who died July 20, 1889· The mother died in Greene county, Ohio, in 1849, a member of the Presbyterian Church.
At the time of his father's death George H. Moore was a small boy. He went to school in a log school-house and had very few early educational advantages. March 13, 1851, he was married in Clinton county, Ohio, to Miss Hannah J. Peterson, a daughter of Jacob and Hannah (Stuckey) Peterson, both natives of Virginia, and her father of German descent. Mr. Peterson and his family were among the early settlers of Ohio, their journey from Virginia to that State being made on horseback, the mother carrying her babe in her arms. Their family consisted of nine children, six sons and three daughters.
After his marriage Mr. Moore continued to reside on the home farm and carry on its operations until 1856, when he moved from Greene to Clinton county, Ohio, remaining at the latter place two years. From 1858 until 1865 his home was in Logan county, Ohio, and in 1865 he came to Iowa. His journey to this State was made by rail to the terminus of the Northwestern Railroad, which at that time was Nevada, Iowa, and from there he came by stage to Des Moines. In Cass township, Guthrie county, he purchased 160 acres of land on section 18. To this he added by subsequent purchase until he had 640 acres in Cass township, besides a tract of 800 acres which he bought as early as 1856, thus becoming an extensive land-owner. For some years he was largely engaged in raising wheat and live stock, and continued to reside on his farm until he moved into Panora, where for ten years he was engaged in merchandising. He was connected at different times in his business operations with E. J. Reynolds, P. S. Hamilton, and his son, H. L. Moore. In 1874 he was one of the organizers of the Guthrie County National Bank, and from that time until 1884 was a member of its board of directors. Since 1884 he has officiated as president of the bank. Mr. Moore owns an elegant and commodious residence in Panora, which was erected at a cost of $2,300, and in which he and his family are surrounded with all the comforts of life.
Mr. and Mrs. Moore have a family of seven children, three sons and four daughters, namely: Marcellus F., Denver, Colorado; Horace L., a leading merchant of Panora; Willis G., a resident of Stuart, Iowa; Ada C., wife of H. C. Fitz. a prominent grocer of Panora; Clara A., wife of M. M. Reynolds, cashier of the bank of which her father is president; Flora B., a musician of much ability and an excellent teacher; and Artie G., who is deceased. All have had excellent educational advantages, take an interest in church work, and some are prominent and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Panora.
During the thirty years of his residence in Iowa, Mr. Moore has made a wide acquaintance, and his life has been such as to gain and maintain for him the high esteem of all with whom he has had dealings.
ELIJAH JACKSON REYNOLDS, vice president of the Guthrie County National Bank, Panora. Iowa, is a man well known and highly respected. Since 1852 he has maintained his residence in this State, and it is eminently fitting that more than a passing mention of him should be made in this work.
A Hoosier by birth, he was born near Spencer, the county seat of Owen county, Indiana, July 5, 1832 . His remote ancestors were English and his grandfather Reynolds was a participant in the American Revolution. Gillium Reynolds, his father, was a native of North Carolina, born in 1806, emigrated to Indiana in early manhood and settled in Owen county when that part of the State was nearly all covered with heavy timber. In Owen county he was married to Miss Winnie Beman, a native of North Carolina and a daughter of Jacob Beman. who was born in that State of English parentage. To this worthy couple were born thirteen children, two of whom died in infancy, the names of the others being as follows: Nancy Jane, wife of Thomas Burgess, who was a soldier in the late war and is now deceased; Sarah, wife of Jonathan Morris, Stuart, Iowa; E. Jackson; Isom R., Santa Barbara, California; Wealthy, wife of Artemus McCleran, who resides near Panora; Matilda, wife of Isaac Morris, Mahomish, Washington; Linnie Ann, wife of James Morris, who resides near Panora; Allen H., Panora; Willis, deceased; Jasper N., who lives near Panora; and Mary Ellen, wife of Moses Morris, resides in Washington.
The father left his home in Indiana, May 10, 1852, accompanied by his wife and little ones, and set out for Iowa, traveling with an ox team, and bringing with them three horses and twenty-five head of cattle. The journey from Indiana to Guthrie county, Iowa, consumed twenty-three days, and on their arrival here they stopped on a hill just south of Panora, where the father bought a claim on which was a log cabin. In July of the following year he took claim to a tract of Government land; but he was not permitted to enjoy his new home long, for in October, 1856, at the age of fifty years, he was called to his last home. Politically, he was a Democrat and a strong adherent to that party. He was, however, a great admirer of General Taylor and voted for him, the only time he left his favorite party. He was a man of strong physique and great moral courage, and exerted an influence for good wherever he resided. His widow, after surviving him many years, passed away in December, 1876.
E. J. Reynolds, with whose name we began this sketch, was reared in his native county and in his youth rendered his father valued assistance on the frontier farm, chopping, .grubbing and log-rolling. His education was received in one of the primitive log school-houses of the Hoosier State, the furnishings of which consisted of a broad, open fire-place, slab seats, and writing desks made of slabs pegged to the walls. School lasted only about two and a half or three months in each year. After the removal of the Reynolds family to Iowa, E. J. remained a member of the home circle for a year or more. Then he married and located at his present homestead adjacent to Panora. With the growth of the town he has sold off portions of his land for building purposes and now retains for his home place only forty acres. With the exception of two years spent in Guthrie Center, he has resided here with his family ever since. For eight years he operated a gristmill west of town. In 1870 he was elected County Treasurer, was twice re-elected, and served three terms of two years each, performing the duties of this important position with credit both to himself and to his party. Also he has held many other offices of trust, serving on school boards, as administrator, etc., and is now vice-president of the Guthrie County National Bank, which was organized at Panora in 1874 and in which he takes great interest.. He was at one time engaged in the mercantile business, leaving it for the grain business, and bought and sold grain for six or seven years.
Mr. Reynolds was married June 23, 1853, to Miss Eliza Anderson, a native of Richland county, Ohio, born February 27, 1837. Her father, John Anderson, was one of the early pioneers of Guthrie county. He was born in Pennsylvania, was of English descent, and was married in Richland county, Ohio, to Miss Elizabeth C. Roe, a native of that State, and from there in 1852 they came to Iowa, locating northwest of Panora. Here he died in March, 1854, at the age of sixty years, leaving a widow and nine children, namely: Delilah, wife of Miles Gammill, deceased; Samuel, a minister of the gospel, residing in California; Rachel, wife of William Queen, of JeweIl county, Kansas; Eliza, wife of E. J. Reynolds; Mary, wife of Isom Reynolds; Sarah Jane, wife of John West, Hitchcock county, Nebraska; Lucinda, wife of Alexander Trent, Panora; Rebecca, wife of Daniel Diehl, Panora; and Elizabeth C., wife of Jacob Robinson, Gentry county, Missouri.. The mother died at the age of fifty-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were active members of the Presbyterian Church, and for a number of years he served as an Elder in the same. E. J. Reynolds and wife have had six children, five of whom are living and are as follows: Martha J., wife of William Spurgeon, Panora; Marshall M., cashier of the Guthrie County National Bank, is one of the prominent business men of the town; Sarah Ellen, wife of H. N. Pentecost, Panora; George M., president of the Des Moines National Bank, with which he has been connected for the past three years; and Arthur, cashier of the Des Moines National Bank. Mrs. Reynolds is a lady of rare culture and refinement and she and her husband have taken a pride in giving their children the best of educational advantages, thus fitting them to occupy, as they all do, leading positions in both social and financial circles. Mr. Reynolds takes an active part in advancing the interests of the temperance cause and both educational and church work. In politics he is a stanch Republican and has frequently served as delegate to county, State and Congressional conventions. Fraternally, he is identified with Panora Lodge, No. 121, A. F. & A. M.
SAMUEL RINGOLD STANLEY is a representative of the business interests of Stuart, Iowa, where he is successfully engaged in grain dealing. He is a wide-awake, enterprising man, sagacious and far-sighted, and Guthrie county numbers him among its valued citizens. The record of his life is as follows. He was born at Marion, Marion county, Ohio, August 6, 1836, and when a child of six years his parents removed to Rock Island, Illinois. They had previously lived in Indiana and Michigan, but eventually settled in Rock Island in 1842, at which time the city was but a hamlet containing not more than a dozen business houses and scarcely a greater nun1ber of residences. The country round was wild and uncultivated, and in this frontier settlement Mr. Stanley spent his boyhood days. On the paternal side he is of English ancestry, while his mother's people were of German lineage. His father, James G. Stanley, was born at sea. The grandfather was captain of an English merchantman, and the wife accompanied her husband on a number of his voyages. He and his crew, together with the ship and cargo, were lost at sea. James Stanley was reared in Maryland, and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Sarah Feigley, was there born in 1802. Their marriage was celebrated in the same State, whence they started on their Westward journey, living in several different localities in the Mississippi valley. The father died in Illinois, in October, 1853, at the age of sixty-seven years, but the mother is now living in Lawrence, Kansas, at the age of ninety-four years.
This worthy couple were the parents of nine children, five sons and four daughters, and all the sons served in the Union army at the same time. William was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga, and died from his injuries. Greer M. died in 1887 from disease contracted in the service. Mary Ann is the widow of Henry Stevens, and resides at Lawrence, Kansas. Susan is the widow of George A. Baker, and lives at Lisbon, South Dakota. Samuel R. is the next younger. Sarah is the wife of John Hohn, .a resident of Illinois. John died of measles while in the army. Martha Jane is the wife of John A. Gray, of Wykoff, Minnesota. James P. is engaged in the lumber business in that State.
Mr. Stanley of this review continued his residence in Rock Island county, Illinois, during the greater part of the time until August 1, 1861, when at Geneseo, Illinois, he enrolled his name among the boys in blue. He had enlisted on the first call for three-months troops, but the quota was full ere the company was called forth to action, and it disbanded until the latter part of the summer. It was then sent to hold a post at Lexington, Missouri, and while there its members were taken prisoners by the rebel General Price. On being paroled they were sent to St. Louis, and were mustered out October 18, 1861. This company was independent of any State organization, though assigned to the Fourteenth Missouri Cavalry. After the discharge another company was immediately reorganized and went to Leavenworth, Kansas, where it was assigned to the Eighth Kansas Infantry, under command of Colonel John A. Martin, who afterward served for two years as Governor of that State. With the Twelfth and Thirteenth Wisconsin Regiments, the Fifty-first Illinois, and the Seventh Kansas, it formed a brigade under command of General R. B. Mitchell, and went from Leavenworth ·to Columbus, Kentucky, in June, 1862.
The next move of this command took the troops to Corinth, Mississippi, after which they went with General Buell on his famous Kentucky campaign and participated in the battle of Perryville, returning to Nashville, November 1, 1862, when General Rosecrans took command of the Army of the Cumberland. The regiment to which our subject belonged was with the forces of General McCook as a part of the Twenty-first Army Corps, and went on the Tullahoma and Chickamauga campaigns, participating in all the engagements of these famous expeditions. They met the enemy at Chattanooga and Mission Ridge, and in the late fall of 1863 joined General Burnside at Knoxville, whence they were ordered to Dandridge, East Tennessee, but again returned to Knoxville. Mr. Stanley there re-enlisted as a veteran volunteer, and the old organization was retained. In the spring of 1864 he started on the Atlanta campaign under Sherman, and after the evacuation of the city of Atlanta the Eighth Kansas Infantry became a part of the Fourth Army Corps, and returned to Nashville under General Thomas, participating in the battles of Spring Hill and Nashville, the rebel forces being under command of General Bragg, who was threatening Sherman's rear. They followed Bragg into Alabama, and fought the battle of Franklin, November 30, and December 15 and 16 the battle of Nashville. They returned back into Alabama, and -went into winter quarters at Huntsville, where they remained until March, 1865. They then returned to East Tennessee, and in May were ordered back to Nashville, where, on the 20th of June, an order came for the Fourth Corps to proceed by rail to Johnsonville, thence by steamer to New Orleans, and on the morning of July 5 they went aboard a ship bound for Matagorda bay. Thence they proceeded to Green Lake, where the remained a month, and at San Antonio, Texas, on the 28th of November, 1865, Mr. Stanley, with his regiment, was mustered out of the service. The troops had been sent to the South in order to watch Maximilian, who was then operating in Mexico. After being mustered out, Mr. Stanley then returned to Leavenworth, Kansas, where the troops were finally paid off and discharged, January 11, 1866. His service covered a period of four years, five months and eleven days. He can boast of holding at the present time four honorable discharges, the first by reason of being a paroled prisoner of war, the second to enable him to re-enlist as a veteran, the third to receive promotion as First Lieutenant of his company, and lastly because the war was over and his services were no longer needed. He filled all of the various official grades from private to Captain, was promoted to the First Lieutenancy in. 1863, and was made Captain in 1864, commanding his company from that time forward until the close of the war. Meritorious conduct on the field of battle won him this honor and his military record is one of which he may justly be proud.
Mr. Stanley at once returned to his home in Illinois and engaged in farming for one year. In the fall of 1866 he came to Iowa, locating in Boone county, where he made his home for two years, and in March, 1869, arrived in Stuart. His arduous army service had made such inroads upon his health that he was unable to longer engage in agricultural pursuits or other manual labor, and for about six years after coming to Stuart he lived a retired life in consequence of his impaired health. At length he embarked in grain dealing, which he has followed almost continuously since, and has built up an excellent trade in this line, making large shipments.
On the 14th of February, 1866, was consummated the marriage of Mr. Stanley and Miss Ellen Smith, a daughter of George and Mary Smith, prosperous farming people of Henry county, Illinois. The lady was born April 4, 1844, in Ashland, Ohio, and there acquired her education. The wedding was celebrated in Geneseo, Illinois, and their union has been blessed with one child, Nellie M., now the wife of Alexander Turk, a resident of Tama, Iowa, by whom she has two children - Minnie R. and Mahlon S.
Mr. Stanley is a stanch and uncompromising Republican, who does all in his power to promote the interests of his party, but has never sought or held office. He is a member of Maxwell Post, No. 14, G. A. R., of which he has served for two terms as Commander. He joined this post on its organization. He also belongs to Stuart Lodge. No. 214, I. O. O. F., in which he has filled all the offices. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Woman's Relief Corps. Mr. Stanley is a representative of a family noted for loyalty to the country, and in all the relations of life he displays the same fidelity to duty that he manifested when on Southern battle fields he followed the old flag.