Towns, Township & Abandoned Town
need your help! Needing a short history, pictures and/or maps of
each town. IAGenWeb is created entirely by volunteers!
Contact me if you have information you would like to share.
Townships & Some of the communities they held or hold
Orange -- Tuttle's Grove, Ava
Highland -- Bayard, Wilkins
Dodge -- Herndon, Jamaica
Seeley -- Wichita
Victory -- Fansler (Fanslers/ Stringtown), Moffitt's Grove
Cass -- Panora, Yale
Bear Grove -- North Branch, Bear Grove
Baker -- Linn Grove
Valley -- Guthrie Center, Monteith
Jackson -- Morrisburg, Dale City, Allen
Grant -- Adair (part) rest in Adair Co.
Thompson -- Casey, Dalmanutha
Beaver -- Menlo, Glendon, Ridgeway
Penn -- West Milton
Stuart -- Stuart, Mackville
Abandoned Towns according to the Annual of Iowa from the
ADVANCE - In the northwest corner of section 22, Richland
Township. Post office, 1871-82
ALLEN - In the southeastern part of Jackson Township .Post office, 1853-55.
ALLENVILLE - A hamlet platted in 1882 in section 3, Highland Township.
It has since become a part of the present town of Bayard.
AVA - In section 35, Orange Township. Post office,. 1875-71..
BEAR GROVE - A hamlet in the northeastern part of section 24 Bear Grove
Township. Post office 1854-1910.
BRUSHY VALLEY - In the western part of Orange Township. Post office,
DALMANUTHA - In the central part of section 5, Thompson Township. It
was laid out in 1855 and became a business place of importance on a main stage
line. Post office, 1863-75
DODGE - In western part of Highland Township. Post office, 1859-81
ERASTUS - In the eastern part of section 26, Orange Township. Post office,
FAIRVIEW - The name by which the village of Morrisburg (which see below)
was know for the first year or two of its existence.
GOPHER STATION. See Wilmington below.
GRACEVILLE - In the northwestern part of Baker Township, as shown on
maps of 1887.
GUTHRIE - The name of the post office At Menlo for the first few months
of its existence.
HARBOR STATION - In the southeastern part of Jackson Township on the
overland stage route in the late 1850's and early 1860's.
HARRISON - In the southwestern part of Union Township, as appears on
maps of 1878.
LEADVILLE - A post office in the southern part of Valley. Township,
established in 1879 but discontinued when the village of Montieth was started.
MACKSVILLE - A post office from 1862 to 1868 about two miles east of
the present town of Stuart.
MAIDA - In the western part of Seeley Township. Post office. 1863-65.
MOFFITT'S GROVE - In the northern part of Victory Township, Post office,
MORRISBURG - A village of some pretensions in sections 4 and 5, .Jackson
Township. Laid out in 1855. Post office 1857-65.
NELSON - In the southwestern part of Union Township. Post office, 1885-1903.
PENNSBURG - Slightly east of where the present town of Stuart now stands
as shown on the maps: of 1855 to 1857.
RIDGEWAY - In the southern part of section 28, Beaver Township, about
one mile west of where the present town of Menlo is located.
SAFESIDE - In the western part of section 6, Thompson Township. Post
SEDALIA - The name first given the present town of Jamaica, but on being
platted later in the same year, 1882, it was named Van Nest, but shortly thereafter
changed to Jamaica.
TUTTLE GROVE - In section 20, Orange Township. Post office, 1875-77.
VAN NEST - (See Sedalia above.)
WEST MILTON - In the southwestern part of section 10, Penn Township,
A town was platted in 1855 but only a few buildings were erected. Post office
WILKINS - In the southwest quarter of section 23, Highland Township,
near the banks of the Middle Raccoon River. A town was laid out here but proved
to be on a town on paper
WILSON'S - In the south section 9 of Cass Township, about two miles
southeast of Panora, as shown on maps of 1857.
WILMINGTON - A village platted in 1857 on government lots 1, 2 and 8,
section 4, Thompson Township. Because of the appearance of its sod houses
it was jokingly called Gopher Station, and the name stuck. Abandoned when
Dalmanutha, a mile and a half southwest, grew up.
County Home Page
© IAGenWeb1997-2009 The submitters &
read the IAGenWeb
Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
all of which applies to the Guthrie Co. website. ~