GREENE COUNTY

 
 HISTORY
Towns & Townships
History and Bios > HOME

Railroads were the foundation of many of the towns.  The necessities of the people and the shrewd calculations of men who saw more money for themselves in a farm platted into town lots and covered with buildings than in an ordinary quarter acreage under the best cultivation.  There were 10 post offices.

Town History**  
Adaza (was Cottonwood)** sec 7,Highland Twp  non inc. 1882; Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul RR
*Angus (Coal Town)** sec 36, Washington Twp, S of Surry; part of town in sec 31, Union Twp, Boone Co.  non inc1880;
Cedar Creek centralCedar Twp 1869-81   
Churdan Highland Twp inc 29 Apr 1884; Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul RR
* 'Coon Siding or Raccoon Siding settlement along Raccoon River; sec 9, Jackson Twp   
+ Cooper Franklin Twp born 1881; no other dates; Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul RR
Dana Junction Twp inc. 1907; M&ST.L RR
Eureka sec 11, Jackson Twp   
+ Farlin Bristol Twp 1886; Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul RR
Forbes Station betw Jefferson & Farlin  before 1884;
+ Grand Junction Junction Twp inc. 1873; M&ST.L RR; Chicago & NW RR
* Graveley along Hwy 30, between Jefferson and Scranton   
Green Castle SW Washington Twp 1857-1862   
Greenops central Kendrick Twp 1855-1857   
Greys central Cedar Twp 1868-69   
Hardin 4 mi SE of Jefferson Grant Twp near Hardin Creek   
Havanna NW Kendrick Twp 1857-1862   
*Hope railroad station; sec 1, Paton Twp   
+ Jefferson Grant Twp Chicago Milwaukee & St. Paul RR; Chicago & NW RR
Kendrick central Kendrick Twp 1863-67   
New Jefferson 1859-1867; now the present city of Jefferson   
Northville northern Kendrick Twp, then moved to S Cedar Twp 1865-81   
Paduca SE Washington Twp 1857-68   
+ Paton Paton Twp inc 1883?; M&ST.L RR
+Rippey sec 7 Washington Twp 1857-80; when railroad was built 4 mi to the E, "Old Rippey" was moved to the present town of Rippey  inc "old Rippley" prior to 1870; Rippley inc June 1896; M&ST.L RR
*Sarney Cedar Twp   
+Scranton (City) present town of Scranton from 1880-89  inc Jul 1880; Chicago & NW RR
Scranton Station present town of Scranton from 1869-80   
++*Surry or Surry Town sec 26, Washington Twp betw. Rippey and Angus  small mining town on Snake Creek, no dates
* Winkleman Switch railroad station; Sec 28, Grant Twp   


All township information is found in Stillman, B. E., Past and Present of Greene County, Iowa, 1907
Bristol was organized no date listed and comprises of township 84, North, range 31... West. T
Cedar was organized in 1867, and comprises of township 85, North, range 32 West. Is in the NW corner of Greene County. Suggest for research besides Greene County also check Carroll and Calhoun Counties for research. Post Office could be Churdan or Lohrville.
Dawson was organized in 1872, and comprises of township 85, North, range 30 West. This township was named after Mr. Dawson who was one of the earliest settlers of the county.  No village within its borders, the trade went to Paton, Churdan, Jefferson and Farnhamville in Calhoun County.  The only church is the Friends Church. (p 206, 1907 History)
Franklin was organized no date listed and comprises of township 82, North, range 30.. West. The township was named after one of the earliest settlers in the county. (p 203, 1907 History)
Grant was organized no date listed and comprises of township 85, North, range 30 West. This township was named after General U. S. Grant, as a mark of honor and respect to one of the greatest soldiers the world has ever known.  Jefferson is within its borders.  (p 203, 1907 History)
Greenbrier was organized no date listed and comprises of township 82, North, range 31. West. The township was named after probably the creek. No town in township, one church exactly in the center, Methodist Episcopal. (p 203, 1907 History)
Hardin was organized in 1869, and comprises of township 84, North, range 30 West. This township was surveyed in winter of  1852-'53 by Samuel T. Caldwell.  It was named after Mr. Hardin who was one of the earliest settlers of the county, locating on the creek bearing his name.  The soil and in general desirable topography it ranks as one of the best townships in the county.  No village within its borders, as it was close to Jefferson.  This population is entirely agricultural - farmers of the well to do class. (p 202, 1907 History)
Highland was organized in 1872, and comprises of township 85, North, range 31 West.  (p 46, 1907 History)
Jackson was organized no date listed and comprises of township 83, North, range 31. West. The township was named after Andrew Jackson. Jefferson is directly east of this township.  (p 204, 1907 History)
Junction was organized no date listed and comprises of township 83 & 84, North, range 29. West. The township was surveyed Oct 30, 1852 to Nov 4, 1852. Grand Junction & Dana are the towns. (p 28, 1907 History)
Kendrick was organized in 1856, and comprises of township 84, North, range 32 West.  (p 46, 1907 History) One of the three original townships.  Raccoon (Coon) River running through it. No village, but 3 Churches, the Baptist (1877, section 11), east side of the river, Friends (section 21)  and United Brethren ( M. E. section 20) on the west side of the river. (p 205 1907 History)
Paton was organized in 1875, and comprises of township 85, North, range 29 West. This township was named after Mr. Paton who was a wealthy land owner from New York City.  Paton village is within its borders. No separate paragraph about the formation of this township. (p 184, 1907 History)
Scranton was organized in 1870, and comprises of township 83, North, range 32 West.  (p 46, 1907 History) The Chicago & Northwestern Railroad was responsible for the town of Scranton in 1869. (p 165, 1907 History)
Washington was organized 1856 and comprises of township 82 & 83, North, range 29. West. The township was surveyed Sep. 4, 1851  Angus and Rippey are the towns. (p 28 - 29,  1907 History)
Willow was organized 1874 and comprises of township 82 , North, range 32. West. The township was surveyed Jun 28, 1851  No towns are the township. Scranton being  just north of the township. (p 28 & 203,  1907 History)
Thanks to Annette D Towler for this information.

VISIT ADJACENT COUNTIES

Calhoun Webster

Carroll Boone

Guthrie Dallas


Sources: Mott, D. C., "Abandoned Towns, Villages and Post Offices of Iowa", J.W. Hoffman & S.L. Purington Publishers, Council Bluffs, Iowa, 1973 as reprinted from "The Annals of Iowa", Vols. XVII & XVIII 1930-1932.

*Personal recollections of local historians; not listed in above source

+In 1907 there were 10 Post offices & ** ++ Post Offices in 1887.

** Stillman, B. E. - "Past and Present of Greene County, IA" (1907), starting at page 153.




Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer