Past and Present of
Greene County, Iowa
By E. B. Stillman
|The above-named township was surveyed during the winter
of 1852-'53, by Samuel T. Caldwell, and the area thus described divided
into sections. It was named after Mr. Hardin, who was one of the
earliest settlers of the county, locating on the creek bearing his
name. It borders Grant township on the north and the north line of
Jefferson marks its south boundary line, in part. In the character of
its soil and in general desirable topography it ranks as one of the
best townships in the county. Its nearness to the county-seat has been
an argument against the formation of a village within its borders, all
roads leading to Jefferson. In the early days, these highways were not
first class, a fact easily proved by a host of witnesses, but graveled
roads have put a new front on the matter of travel and moving the
products of the farms. The population is entirely agricultural --
farmers of the well-to-do class. Schools are well maintained, there
being the usual nine districts in the county. It has given to the cause
of county government four members of the board of supervisors: George
M. Elliott, William Allinson, Levi Stockwell and Thomas Calvert, all
deceased except the last named. Politically, it has been evenly
divided, with an inclining late years to a republican majority. Two
Sunday schools are maintained in the township, but only one church
MT HORKS M. E. CHURCH.--This was organized in 1876, by Rev. J. A.
Stevens, with a membership of twelve. The first official board was A.
B. Eichor, Geore Bowley and William Bussey, all of whom are now
residents of Jefferson. A neat and commodious church was erected in the
summer of 1881, on a gentle elevation called Mt. Horeb, four miles due
north of Jefferson, and was dedicated on the 11th of September, 1881,
by the pastor, Rev. J. A. Stevens. Its cost was $1,250. Soon after a
series of horsesheds were built, to the special credit of the
worshippers. During the quarter of a century since its erection, the
church building has been kept in excellent repair. The pastors since
its organization have been: Rev. J. A. Stevens, C. W. Posten, A. G.
Foreman, J. W. Eckles, L. W. Archer, Joshua Juster, Horace Foote, C.
Anderson, A. Ostrander, C. Fawcett, F. Dunn, J. F. Hunter, R. W.
Tennant, William Cox, L. K. Billingsley, J. A. King, A. M. Elliott, H.
Koontz, D. J. McKay and J. Nichol, who is the present pastor in charge.
The membership is forty. An excellent Sunday school is and has been
maintained during the entire history of the church. The organization
has suffered serious loss in its membership by death and removals.
Value of church property, about $1,500.
From Past and Present of Greene County, Iowa, by E. B. Stillman, Chicago, Illinois: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1907, pg. 202.
Transcribed by Cheryl Siebrass, November, 2014.
PREV < === > NEXT