One of the pioneers of the county, was born in Darke county, Ohio, in 1831. During the gold excitement of ’49 in California, Mr. Thompson made a trip across the plains, but in 1855 came back to Greene county, locating near his present home. His nearest mill in that early day was Panora, and owing to the rugged winters and deep snows the family was obliged to grind their corn by hand; but the corn bread and elk meat made most wholesome food. Mrs. Thompson’s maiden name was Ocelia J. Powers, and the children born to them were Lohrin A., aged 39; Lovinna E., 33; Elmer D., 29. Mr. Thompson has always been a prominent character in the county’s history.
A highly respected Kendrick citizen, was born near the Rhine, in Prussia, in 1837. In 1840 he came with his parents to America, settling near Buffalo. In 1857 he married Sarah R. Rutnam, and the couple came to Poweshiek county, Iowa. The same year the war broke out, and Mr. Black enlisted in the 28th Iowa, but was rejected on account of defective eyesight. He moved to Boone in 1865, filling positions of City Marshal and Deputy Sheriff there for eight years. In 1879 he came to Greene county, locating in section 5, Kendrick, where he now owns 453 acres of land and has a most comfortable and hospitable home.F
Was born in Wayne county, New York, in 1843. When three years old his parents moved to Michigan, and thence to this county in 1855, locating in 1860 at the present home in Kendrick. Mr. Powers married Rhoda A. Cochran in 1866, and three children were born to them. In September, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 39th Iowa, but was discharged in February, 1863, on account of disability. As soon as able he re-enlisted in 1864, and was transferred to the 7th Iowa, being mustered out at the close of the war. He then resumed his profession as a teacher, and in 1875 married Elizabeth A. Lewis, in Missouri. Mr. Powers has a fine farm and is out of debt.
Was born in Lorain county, Ohio, in 1847. He came to Greene county in 1870, locating permanently in his present home in Kendrick township, where he enjoys the friendship and respect of the whole neighborhood. Hi is of German descent, but a loyal American. He married Mattie Carney in 1876, but she died the following year, and his next marriage was with Rachel Pyles, of Greene county. Of this union came four children, as follows: Mattie, aged 21; Elmer, 20; Charles, 16; Homer, 8. Mr. Rosa has a fine farm home.
One of the pioneers of this section was born in Ohio in 1841. In 1854 he reached Greene county, with his parents, and that winter they lived on what is known as the Henry Gilroy farm, in Grant Township. In 1855 Mr. Anderson married Eliza Miller, daughter of another pioneer. When the war broke out he enlisted in Co. E, 39th Iowa, as was with Sherman on his march to the sea. He was honorably discharged at the close of the war, returning to his home in Greene county. His wife died in 1879, and he married Mrs. Anna Nesbit. Ten children were born of the first marriage, six of whom are living: Alice, Sylvester, Fred, Hattie, Myra and David. Of the second marriage three children were born: Eliza, Myrtle and Levi. Mr. Anderson is a splendid citizen and always a republican.
Was born in Kendrick Township, Greene county, in 1865, on section 4, part of which section he now owns, having fallen heir to a portion of it as the property of his father. In 1885 he was married to Miss Caroline Schwab, of this county. The family now consists of seven children as follows: Amelia L., age 13, Milo W., 12, Earl F., 11; Edward E., 9; Lloyd R., 7; Henrietta, 5; Leon R., 1. Mr. Kious is in a prosperous condition and one of the county’s most influential farmers. His father was M. W. Kious, who died in 1895, possessed of considerable property which he generously divided equally among his children.
Is a native of Butler county, Ohio, born in 1826. In 1848 he was united in marriage to Mrs. Rebecca Kyle, of Knox county, Ohio. In July 1854 they moved with ox teams on to section 3, Kendrick township, where were born three children, Mansfield, William W. (who died at the age of nine months) and Nancy Ellen. His milling was done at Panora and Des Moines was his post office. A log cabin 16x18 feet sheltered his family for some time, serving as kitchen, parlor and sitting room, and in pioneer days was considered one of the county’s most hospitable homes. His wife died in 1886, since which time W. S. Pound and family have lived with him on the fine unemcumbered 180-acre farm. Mr. Linn is now 72 years of age, and enjoys the fruits of a life of industry, frugality, neighborliness and integrity.
Was born in Hunterdon county, New Jersey, in 1845, where his early days were spent. He came to Greene county in 1858, locating in section 26, building a cabin from logs drawn from Cedar Creek. In 1877 he married May Reynolds of this county, and to this union were born nine daughters: Nellie, 21; Etta, 19; Anna, 17; Estella, 14; Flora, 10; Lura, 8; Bertha, 6; H. Fern, 4; Faye, 1. In 1876 the family located in their present comfortable and pleasant home, where they are reaping the reward of their industry and prudence, surrounded by congenial neighbors and friends. Mr. Breiner is of French and German descent, an excellent, upright citizen.
A native of Canada, was born near LaPierre, in 1853, and came to the Untied States in 1871, a young man of eighteen years. He located in Clayton county, Iowa where he was married January 1, 1880, to Miss Theresa Emerson. That same year they moved to Greene county, locating in Kendrick township on the farm now owned by them where they have established a pleasant, comfortable home. Five children are in the household: Ada, 16; Norvil, 13; Luana, 9; Roy, 7; Robert M., 3. Mr. Bellcock is of English descent, but is happily contented in the home where his lot has been cast.
Was born near Asbury, New Jersey, in the year 1842. His parents, in common with many others, believed in the agricultural possibilities of the great west, and came to Greene county in 1858, as pioneers, and he located on his present home in Kendrick township in 1876, where he has since lived and prospered, and enjoyed seeing the township fill up with thrifty, progressive farmers like himself. In 1884 he was untied in marriage to Miss Lottie Strawn of this county. They have three children as follows: Mary L., 10; and a bright pair of twins, Minna and Mina, aged five years. Mr. Breiner is of French-German descent, and a thorough believer in the gospel of hard work as the stepping-stone to prosperity and success in life.
Whose maiden name was Anna G. Fields, was born in Mt. Washington, Mass., in 1846, and is a direct descendant of the old puritan stock. She was married in 1870 to Dr. M. B. Royal, of Council Bluffs, who died in 1875 at Prospect Bluff, Arkansas. In 1881 she married S. M. Groves. Four children were born to them, as follows: Adella, 17; Josie, 14; Anna, 11; Ivy, 9. Mrs. Groves is a thorough business woman, and although far removed from the New England home of her youthful days, has become westernized and has made splendid success in managing the important interests under her watch and care, having it all practically out of debt.
A highly-respected citizen of Kendrick township, was born in Germany in 1838. AT the age of fourteen himself and brother landed in N. Y. The latter enlisted in Co. G, 47th Illinois regiment serving three years. He re-enlisted in 1864 and was killed in battle with the Banks’ Expedition, thus leaving his brother alone. In 1861 W. G. was married to Margaret A. Niswonger in Marshall county, Ill. He came to Greene county in 1879, locating on his present farm in Kendrick township, section 12, which he improved and converted into a comfortable home, but desiring a warmer climate, he has sold his real estate and will soon go to Perry, Oklahoma to reside.
Was born in Price, Germany; in the year 1837, and came to the United States in 1862 with nothing but a stout heart, a willing, strong pair of arms and a determination to win a competence and a good name. His first nine years in this country were spent as a section hand on the C. & N. W. railway, during which time he laid by $500 with which he made a first payment on 80 acres of Greene county soil. He now owns 700 acres of fine land and is very comfortably situated. In 1864 he married Matilda Arogna, and from this union eight children were born, all of whom are living: Matilda, 31; Henry, 30; Wilhelmine, 28; Anna, 25; Albert, 22; Charles, 19; Frederick, 16; Mary, 24.
Claims Ohio as his native State, and was born in Union county in 1833. When he was seven years old his parents moved to Elkhart county, Indiana, and in June 1857, came to Greene county. In 1879 was married to Mrs. Rebecca Ann Conway of this county and in 1880 purchased the land hat constitutes his present home. The children are: Silas G., 19; Jesse A., 18. By judicious, careful management, which is a type of the average Kendrick farmer, Mr. Orchard holds his property free from incumbrance, and he and his good wife are in circumstances to enjoy their declining years without anxiety as to coming days.
Came from the good State of Illinois, where he first saw the light in Pike county, in the year 1843. When he was eight years old his parents moved to Marshall county, Ill., where he was married to Maria Zimmerman in 1866. Soon after their union, they came to Kendrick township, settling upon 240 acres of land where they have established a fine home with an enviable reputation for comfort and hospitality.
Was born near Canton, Ohio, in 1849. IN 1866 his parents moved to Eastern Indiana, and in 1878 came to Greene county. Mr. Fetters now owns a splendid 250 acre farm well stocked and is accounted a prosperous citizen. In 1893 he was married to Lula Casebeer, of Arkansas, a native of Iowa. In 12882 Mr. F’s father, David Fetters, died, leaving his wife, who now lives near her son George, in a snug little home built for her occupancy.
County supervisor, was born in Alleghany county, Pa. In 1848. In 1862, young Kerr enlisted in the 77th Pennsylvania Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He was with Sherman in his grand march to the sea. At the close of the war, Mr. Kerr returned to Ohio, his parents having moved to that State during his absence. In October 1872, he was married to Luania Niswonger. Eight years later, 1880, they removed to Greene county, locating at his present home, which he has made one of the most comfortable and attractive in the township. Two children were born to Mr. And Mrs. Kerr: L. 25, married, and Edward M. Lang, 20.
Was born in Jefferson county, Mo. In 1843. With his parents he moved to Carroll county, Illinois, in 1853. In 1877 he married Mary Hammond of that county, and came to Greene county in June, 1875, locating on section 14 in Kendrick township, where he now owns a fine 170-acre farm home, well stocked and one of the most comfortable and hospitable in the county. Mrs. Gamble died April, 1899, and the son Charles also. The surviving children are: Bessie, 19; Reidie, 16; Olive, 14.
Was born in Randolph county, Ind., in 1849. At the age of 11 years he moved with his parents to Farmer City, Illinois, at which place he was married, in 1875, to Mollie Chaney of Piatt county, Ills. The following year they came to Greene county, settling on the A. R. Mills farm north of Jefferson, where they lived until 1881, when he bought and moved on to his present 165-acre farm in Kendrick township, which was then raw prairie and which he has converted into a productive farm and established a happy, hospitable home. Ten children were born into this home and all are still living under the parental roof: Lillian, 21; Cora R., 19; Mabyl J., 17; James 15; Laura, 13; Warren, 11; Myrtle, 9; Ethel, 8; Floyd, 6; Virgil R., 4. Mr. D. has acceptably filled many public offices in his township from time to time.
Is a southerner by birth, a native of Stokes county, North Carolina, born in 1818. When 13 years old he moved with his parents to Rush county, Indiana, where he lived seventeen years. In 1844 he married Louisa Brock, a native of Tennessee. They came to Greene county in the fall of 1854, locating in a floorless log cabin on section 14. From thence they moved on to their present 160 acre farm in Kendrick township. Mr. And Mrs. Yates are of sturdy English stock and enjoy relating the incidents connected with pioneer life. All honor is due to such good people. They have had nine children, four of whom are living: Sarah L., Nancy E., Lydia A., Clara A. The parents are earnest and zealous members of the Free Methodist Church.
Was born in Clinton county, N. Y., in 1844, and when ten years of age moved to Kendall county, Ills. Aug. 10 1861 he enlisted in Co. E, 36th Illinois Infantry. He was wounded at battle of Stone River and also at Missionary Ridge, where he lost his left leg; was mustered out in 1864; returned to DeKalb county, Ills., and hired out on a farm. In 1879 he moved to Greene county, purchasing 480 acres of land on which he now lives. Was married in 1867 to Susan A. Powers of DeKalb county. After marriage worked on farm for $15 per month, then bought 80 acres, sold it and with proceeds made small payment on his 480 acres. When this last farm was stocked he was in debt $6000. He had $600 when he left the army. Four children came to this household: Francis, 27; Laura (deceased), Jennie, 23; Sadie M., 6. Mr. M. was a non-commissioned officer and received promotion after battle of Missionary Ridge.
Is a native of Henry county, Illinois, born in 1857. In 1866, with his parents, he came to Greene county, locating in Kendrick township. On July 4, 1876, Centennial year, Mr. Pound was married to Nancy E. Linn to which union was born two children: Jennie P., 19; Eddie R., 10. He now owns 270 acres of splendid land in Greene and Calhoun counties. At present he is a member of the board of township trustees, and has acceptably filled many very important places of public trust in Kendrick township.
Was born in Randolph county, N. C. in 1829. When 16 years old, his parents moved to Morgan county, Ind., where he was married to Artamisia Page in 1852. In 1856 they moved to Greene county, locating in Kendrick township, where he now owns a fine 240 acre farm free from debt. His first milling was done at Panora, with Des Moines as a trading point. His first cabin was 12x16, made of logs cut on Coon river. He was once caught in a terrible snow storm 23 miles from home, when going to Adel to mill, and was compelled to abandon his team and wheat and return home on foot. He was absent 11 days and nearly perished. But Mr. T. survived all these perils, and has a comfortable home. His wife died in Aug., 1886, and in Nov., 1887 he married Mary D. Alstott.
Was born in Greene county, Ohio, in 1825, and moved to Greene county, Iowa, in 1855. In 1848 he married Margaret Coon, to whom was born four children: George C., 49; R. J., 45; J. L., 40; Mary E., 37. For his second wife, he married Nancy Morlan in 1862. Five children were born of this union: Sun., 32; Isa, 27; Amos, 25; Anise, 22; Stacy, 19. Mr. D. holds the proud distinction of being the first township trustee elected by the republicans of Kendrick, and at the time the township was nearly nine miles long from north to south. He also served most acceptably as county supervisor for two terms.
Is a native of the Keystone State, having been born in Mercer county, Pa., in 1840. In 1852 he moved to Jackson county, Iowa, and came to Greene county in 1866. He is the owner of 440 acres of land which has been improved under his excellent management until it ranks as one of the choicest farms in the county, with exceptionally fine buildings. In 1865 he married Elmira Levur of Jackson county, to which union three children were born. He married a second time in 1873 to Adelia Youker, to which union five children were born. His first purchase of Greene county land was made in 1867, for which he went in debt the entire sum. It is now free from encumbrance. Mr. Paup is of German descent.
Was born in Keokuk county, Iowa, in the year 1859. At the age of 16 he removed with his parents to Calhoun county, and at the age of 20 he located in Carroll county, where he was married in 1880 to Josephine Brown. He came to Greene county in 1886, locating on section 16, one quarter of which he now owns. The family consists of six children: Rosa, 17; Harry, 16; Charlotte, 14; Mary, 12; Herbert, 5; Roy, 6 weeks. The descent is Scotch-German.
Easily claims to be a pioneer settler in Greene county, as he located on section 15, Kendrick township, in 1856. He patriotically enlisted in ’64 joining Co. C, Second Iowa Infantry, serving faithfully to the end of the war. He owns a good farm and is free from debt. His wife’s maiden name was Mary Wright. Eight children were born to them: Hannah, 44; John, 42; B. T., 39; Nancy, 36; Lydia, 33; Wm., 31; Lenora, 27; Charles, 23.
Came to Greene county with his parents in 1855, being but five years of age. His youth was spent in assisting his father in subduing the wild prairie and getting the benefit of the common schools. He was united in marriage in 1879 to Lotta A. Chase, daughter of Rev. J. W. Chase, minister in the United Brethren Church. To this union were born eight children: Mahlon J., 19; S. G., 17; Maud E., 13; Essie E., 11; Fern E., 9; Joy, 6; Wayne E., 3; Genevra, 1. Mr. D. owns his fine farm free from debt and is in circumstances to enjoy life during the remainder