In the history of the business interests of Paton it is important that mention
should be made of C. P. Walker, banker and business man, whose efforts and
influence are strong element in the development and progress of the town.|
He was born in Bakersfield, Vermont, September 6, 1855. His father, J. H.
also a native of the Green Mountain state, his birth having occurred in Barre,
on the 5th of October, 1819. He is descended from an old colonial family
and has in his possession a memorial of the Walkers of the Old Plymouth Colony
and Their Descendants, from 1620 to 1860. It was complied by J. B. R.
Walker, A. M., and published in 1861. It traces the ancestors back to the
days when the Puritans came to the new world and shows a most excellent record
many of the representatives of the family having been members of congress,
authors, inventors and college-bred men; in fact, they have always maintained
high regard for education and at all times patriotism has been numbered among
the strong characteristics of the race. For many generations the family
was represented in New England, whence J. H. Walker removed to Chicago in the
year 1857. There he engaged in lumber business for a time conducting his
commercial interests in that city, while for several years he resided at
Naperville, Illinois, and he also bought and sold property and became
well-to-do. He was a member of the Congregational church and in his
political view was and earnest republican. His wife, who bore the maiden
name of Elizabeth Pratt, was born in Bakersfield, Vermont, in May, 1825.
Their marriage was celebrated on the 23d of October, 1843, and the death of the
wife occurred in Chicago, September 6, 1859. Mr. Walker long survived her
and passed away in Doland, South Dakota, June 20, 1892. In their family
were five children: Henry C., who was born in 1844 and died August 23, 1845;
Alberta, the deceased wife of C. W. Stutenroth, who resides in Watertown, South
Dakota; A. H., a farmer in Dawson township, Greene county, Iowa; Elizabeth S.,
the deceased wife of Charles T. Mason, her death having occurred at Sterling,
Illinois; and C. P. Walker.
The last named was less than two years of age when brought by his
parents to the middle west and was reared in Chicago and Napperville, Illinois.
He attended the public schools in those places and is a
graduated of the Metropolitan Business College of Chicago. About 1877 he
came to Iowa and purchased a farm in Dawson township, Greene county, where he
carried on general agricultural pursuits for fifteen years. In 1891,
however, he put aside the work of the farm and, in connection with Head
Brothers, established the Farmers' Bank of Paton. This was conducted as a
private institution until 1906, when it was re-organized as a state band and
became the Farmers' State Bank of Paton. It was capitalized for $25,000,
with C. P. Walker as president; J. S. Williams, vice president; W. S. Grant,
cashier; and W. J. Walker, assistant cashier. Mr. Walker was married in
Dawson township to Miss Anna M. Roberts, a daughter of Rev. William Roberts.
They have three children: W. J., who spent three years as a student in Ames
College and one year at Capital City Commercial College, at Des Moines, and is
now assistant cashier of the bank; and Elizabeth and Emma, who are students of
the Simpson College at Indianola, Iowa.
Mr. Walker and his family are members of the Methodist church, in the work of
which he takes an active part, while to its support he contributes liberally.
He is a republican in politics and to the principles of that part manifests the
same loyalty which he displays in support of his honest convictions in every
relation of life. He is now serving for his second term as county
supervisor, and while on the farm he filled the office of township trustee and
of township assessor. He was also treasurer of the school board and has
been a member of the village council, and in these different positions has
discharged his duties with promptness and fidelity. Fraternally he is
connected with Gem lodge, No. 429, A. F. & A. M., of which he is a past master.
He is recognized as one of the leading men of Paton, influential in promoting
its public affairs and its best interests, and standing at all times for
progress, reform and improvement. No word is ever spoken against him, for
all entertain for him the highest regard. Aside from his banking interests
he deals quite extensively in real estate and is the owner of several valuable
farms in the county. His success is well merited as it has come as the
reward of honorable effort, his business methods ever being such as will bear
the closest investigation and scrutiny.