Mrs. Dixie Cornell Gebhardt
designer of the new Iowa Regimental Flag
The Iowa flag, shown below is a reproduction, was designed by
Mrs. Dixie Cornell Gebhardt, of Knoxville, state regent of the
D. A. R. The idea of having the flag was originated by Mrs.
Gebhardt and her flag committee, of which Mrs. Lue Prentiss of
Iowa City is state chairman. The flag was presented for
approval to Governor Harding and the state council of defense
on May 11, 1917, and a committee was authorized to prepare
flags to present to each outgoing regiment of Iowa, the object
being to identify our own boys among other states of the
The D. A. R.'s of Iowa provided money for eight of these
flags, one of them now being with the old Third Iowa,
somewhere in France. Seven were presented by Governor Harding
to the Iowa units at Camp Cody.
The flag design consists of three vertical stripes in
blue, white and red, French colors, Iowa having been first
French territory, part of the Louisiana purchase. Upon the
central white stripe is a spreading eagle from the seal of
Iowa, bearing in its beak blue streamers, on which is
inscribed the state motto "Our Liberty We Prize and Our Rights
We Will Maintain." Beneath in red is the word "Iowa." Mothers
feel that "Iowa" in the color of blood is a symbol of the
sacrifice our boys may make for us.
The flags are now being manufactured by Annin and Company of
99 Fulton street, New York City. Ten per cent of every sale is
donated to the American Red Cross for war relief purposes.