~the photos on this page were contributed by Jim Brower from his personal collection
~additional information was added by Sharyl Ferrall, Franklin co. IAGenWeb coordinator, from various sources as credited
Hampton Postcard * Windsor Theatre * Public
Library * Hotel Coonley * Lutheran Hospital
Hampton, Iowa Photo postcard
The Windsor Theatre
Windsor Theatre, Hampton, Iowa ca1919
Theatre Opens at Hampton
The New Windsor theatre is to be
formally opened to the public at Hampton on April 24,
when "A Modern Eve," the big Mort G. Singer
musical show will be the opening attraction. The
completed building will cost the Windsor Co. $35,000 and
will be a model of its kind. Besides the theatre proper,
the lodge rooms will be occupied by the Knights of
Pythias lodge. In the basement will be located the
Hampton Recorder, the editor of which is I.L. Stuart, who
has been a prime mover in the project, and who was the
first to suggest that the lodge build not ony a modern
lodge home, but an up-to-date theatre as well. Mr. Stuart
was for many years manager of the Olympic theatre in
Hampton. The new theatre will be managed by Bert Stover
Hampton Home Talent
Hampton, Ia., Dec 14 - This evening at
the Windsor theatre, the ever popular drama, "Uncle
Tom's Cabin," will be presented by local talent for
the benefit of the Hampton Poultry Association. The cast
comprises some professional talent together with a number
of amateurs who are being carefully drilled, and the well
known lines will be given and the parts acted in a
Windsor Comedy Company
A dramatic movement started in Hampton
and has taken form in the Windsor Comedy company.
Fletcher A. Russell, manager of the Windsor theatre, is
at the head of the organization and plans to develop the
company so that Hampton will have a number of amateurs
who will rank with professionals.
Windsor Theatre Improvements
Handsome, commodious and
well appointed as is the Windsor Theatre at Hampton,
Manager Charles Peterson is not content to leave the
place as it is, but he sees where improvement is
possible, and he goes ahead and makes them. Steel
pillars, supporting the balcony have been taken out and
steel beams placed. The whole interior is to be improved,
new carpetings, upholstered seats and other changes made
for the public's convenience.
Heads the Windsor Theatre Twenty-six Years
Mr. Charles Peterson has
been the owner and manager of the Windsor Theatre at
Hampton 26 years. Previous to going to Hampton he
successfully operated the theatre at Belmond ten years.
During the twenty-six years of his residence in Hampton,
he has put the Windsor in the front rank of Iowa
theatres. Mrs. Peterson, son and daughters share in the
popularity that has come to Mr. Peterson and the Windsor.
The Windsor Theatre was
built in 1913 as an opera house. The Knights of Pythias
lodge (Windsor Lodge No. 71) occupied the full second
story of the building. The first floor included an opera
house that seated 650 people. The Windsor showed its
first movie 'A Romance of the Redwoods', starring Mary
Pickford in 1917. It was owned and operated by the
Peterson family for nearly 60 years, and was in operation
until 1996. The theatre is currently owned by the Windsor
Theatre Development Corporation, a non-profit
Hampton Public Library
Hampton Public Library ca1908
|Hampton, Sept 13 - Senator
J.P. Dolliver will deliver the dedicatory address at the
formal dedication of the Hampton library building next
Friday. After many months of delay in completing the
building, the same is at last ready for formal opening.
~Cedar Rapids Republican, September 19, 1905
Hampton, Oct 7 - The beautiful and
substantial new Carnegie library at this place was
formally dedicated yesterday, the exercises being
conducted by the pupils of the high school. A brief
address was made by Miss Alice S. Tyler of Des Moines,
secretary of the state library board. Mayor J.S. Parker
presided at the dedicatory exericses which were as
|The Hampton public library
is receiving a liberal patronage. It was opened October
1st and 1,029 books were loaned the first month.
~Sumner Gazette, November 16, 1905
Although a community library in Hampton had been
funded since 1889, the small collection of books that
comprised the library had no permanent building for many
years. In the 1890's the books were housed in an
unfinished room in the court house basement. The current
Hampton Public Library was built in part from a grant
received from Andrew Carnegie and from funds raised by
the community. It took two years to construct and was
dedicated on October 6, 1905. The library cost $17,000 to
build and is faced with buff-colored brick. The interior
woodwork is made of oak and the original floor was a
The Hotel Coonley
Hotel Coonley, corner of Second Ave & First Street N.W., Hampton
|The hotel was built by the
North American Hotel Company of Omaha, Nebraska.
Construction took 3 years. The hotel was named after J.E.
Coonley, a Hampton businessman.
The new hotel building at Hampton, Hotel Coonley to
cost $110,000 is well under way. A splendid improvement
for that town. An Ackley firm, Carstens Brothers, secured
the contract for installing the electrical equipment.
The new Coonley hotel, to be opened early in the
spring, is a three-story structure covering a quarter of
|Hampton, Feb. 15 -
Improvements in the Coonley hotel warranted by an upturn
of business, are being made this week. They include new
light fixtures throughout, re-upholstering of the lobby
furniture and new mattresses in all bedrooms. The
furniture will be done by Sam Kaufman of Mason City.
~Mason City Globe Gazette, February 15, 1935
During the long history of the grand hotel, it served the community in many ways in addition lodging. Many local businesses had rooms or offices in the hotel, banquets were hosted, weddings and anniversaries celebrated, there was a coffee shop, a candy shop and a ball room for parties. In the 1960's the hotel was being used in part, as a retirement and nursing home for senior citizens. By the 1970's the hotel had been converted to single family apartments and for business and office space.
Lutheran Hospital, Hampton, Iowa
|Hampton, Iowa, Oct. 7 - The
question as to the location of the new Lutheran hospital
that is to be erected here is said to be definitely
settled on the location to be on the present site of the
Hotel Hampton building. The building committee of the
association recently paid a visit here and purchased the
property, and the building is offered for sale. It is
desired to get the ground cleared as soon as possible in
order that the foundation may be gotten in this fall, and
the structure erected as soon as possible next spring. An
architect has been engaged to prepare plans, and it is
promised that work will now go forward rapidly. It is
stated that the building will be three stories in height
with operating room on the third floor.
~Mason City Globe Gazette, October 8, 1914
|Hampton, Oct. 28 - Bids were
quite plenty here when the time arrived for the opening
of the propositions for the erection of the new Lutheran
hospital. About a dozen firms had bids filed for the job,
but the pricee made by the J.A. Leefers Company of Cedar
Rapids, was considered the best, and that firm was
awarded the contract. The price made was $37,884. The
contract was let to Messner & Company of this city.
The new school house here is being erected by this same
company, and the fact that they had machinery and
equipment already here, probably permitted them to make a
somewhat lower figure for the work. The ground is almost
cleared, and work will begin in a few days.
~Mason City Globe Gazette, October 29, 1914
Several prominent ministers of the Lutheran faith, will participate in the ceremonies incident to the laying of the corner stone of the new Lutheran hospital at Hampton tomorrow. Sermons and songs in both English and German, will be part of the program, while the ceremony of laying the corner stone will be in charge of Rev. Otto von Gemmington. The sermon in German will be given by Rev. H.A. Haas of Hubbard, and the sermon in English by Rev. H. Steger of Fairbanks. The foundation walls of the new hospital are in place and the construction work will be pushed.
~Des Moines Daily News, December 5, 1914
Hampton, Sept 15 - Hampton's fine new $50,000 Lutheran hospital has come to be a reality. Something like a year ago, when Rev. Otto von Gemmingen, pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran church at Beed's Lake, started the movement that has resulted in the handsome building now standing at the corner so long occupied by Hotel Hampton, local people could hardly realize that so great an institution was in store for this city. But persistent effort and earnest endeavor has brought forth the happy result.
This earnest pastor associated with himself such valuable aides as E. Hempel of Iowa Falls, H.A. Maas of Hubbard, Paul Brammer of St. Ansgar, Carl Koenig of Eldora, J. Herman of Dunkerton, John Thies of Iowa Falls, and Ed Dohrmann and F.W. Alert of this city, who made up the board of Directors. From these were chosen as officers, Otto von Gemmingen, president; E. Hemple, vice president; H.A. Maas, secretary; and Ed Dohrmann, treasurer.
The price of shares was placed at $25 and the canvass begun. The contract for the building was secured by J.F. Leefers & Co. of Cedar Rapids, who were then finishing the high school building in Hampton, and the plumbing contract went to the local firm of Messner & Co. The total amounts footed $46,000. The ground was cleared and the foundations were placed last fall, and since early in the spring the work has progressed as fast as possible.
The structure fronts 86 feet on Reeve street and has a depth of 126 feet in Sixth street. The main entrance is midway of the east front, but an entrance at the south will admit patients, and the hall will afford easy access to the electric elevator that runs to the upper floor. The exterior is of matt surface brick with stone trimmings. The structure is fireproof throughout, stairways, partitions, floors and even window sills being of cement. The building is to be steam heated, electric lighted and a private house telephone system is installed to be used in connection with the city exchange.
Upon entering at the east door, a few easy steps brings the visitor up to the main corridor. Immediately in front is the receeption room, a nicely appointed apartment. At either side of the entrance stairway and ranged along the east front are the offices of the various physicians of the staff with their equipment handy by. At the south end of the main corridor is another passageway extending west through that portion of the building. Off this is a patient's kitchen, offices, rooms for patients, and at the north side in a well lighted apartment, the operating rooms. The second floor is given over principally to rooms for the patients and the passageways are directly over thos below. Above is the solarium with windows that when thrown open will make it almost the same as out of doors.
The building is in the shape of a letter L with the long side at the south. The stairway is near the junction of the two sections and the elevator is just west. The basement is high and well lighted with windows. In this is the heating plant, the laundry, a laboratory, storage and stock rooms, etc. The structure is thoroughly modern throughout, and will provide for about one hundred patients at a time if necessary. Among the accommodations are a private dining room for nurses, a club room for doctors, large lecture room for nurses, a drug room, private rooms with bath, doctor's dressing room with shower bath, and many other modern ideas in such structures are incorporated. Opportunity will be given for private parties or organizations to furnish rooms for patients, and some of the rooms have already been thus furnished.
~Mason City Globe Gazette, September 16, 1915
Hampton Street Views
Reeve St. Bridge ca1914
Reeve St. ca1908
Reeve St. north from 4th, ca 1912
The first building on the left is the Franklin State Bank and across the street is the Citizens National Bank
Reeve St. ca 1918
The first building on the left is Dobrin's Dept. Store
The fourth building on the right is McKee Clothing
Reeve St. looking north ca 1918
The third building on the left is Baldwin Drugs
The first building on the right is Citizens National Bank
This page was updated
August 12, 2014
©2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.