1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

T

~*~*~

Levi Talhelm came to the township, from Reeve township, in 1863. He is a teacher, and now officiating in that capacity at the Center school house. He received his education in the common schools of Illinois and Iowa. His history and present position afford abundant proof of the manner in which he improved his opportunities. He was born in Maryland, May 10, 1848. His parents, Humphrey and Nancy (Petrie) Talhelm, moved to Rockingham Co., Va., when he was an infant, going thence to Lee Co., Ill., in the fall of 1855. In September, 1860, they removed to Clinton Co., Iowa, remaining but one year. In December, 1861, they came to Franklin county and located on section 36, Reeves township. Two years after they fixed their residence on section 4, Grant township. Mr. Talhelm is the eldest of nine children. He was married June 4, 1871, to Anna Cogswell. Their two children were born respectively as follows: Arther I., July 19, 1872 and Nora B., June 11, 1S76. Mr. Talhelm is estimated to be one of the representative and influential citizens of the county. He has officiated as township clerk, also as treasurer and secretary of the school board. (Chapter 20, Grant twp. page 369)
Thomas B. Taylor, senior member of the law firm of Taylor & Evans, came to Hampton in 1873, and since 1874 has devoted his time to his profession. Mr. Taylor read law with Judge McKenzie, was admitted to the bar in 1874, and then commenced the practice of law in Hampton. The next June he was appointed clerk of courts of Franklin county, and in 1876 was elected to the same office which he held one term, and then resumed the practice of law, which he has since followed. He is a republican and a member of the M.E. Church. He was married in 1872 to Nellie VanSant. They have three living children: Olive, Ralph V. and Thomas B. Mr. Taylor was born in Dubuque Co., Iowa, Jan. 1, 1853, graduated at Cornell College in 1872, was afterwards principal of Albion Seminary one year, and was engaged in Hampton with Taylor & Carhart for about eight months in the book and music business. In 1879 he entered partnership with W. D. Evans for the practice of law. (Chapter 7, The Bar, page 185-186)
William Taylor. The first "settlement was effected by William Taylor in 1854, who preempted land. He soon afterward died, but the family moved on the claim and improved it. William Taylor located near Iowa Falls, Hardin county, in the fall of 1854 with his family, consisting of his wife and seven children. In the winter of 1856, Mr. Taylor preempted 160 acres of land in Lee township, intending to settle on it the next spring, but he was taken sick and died a few days before the day fixed upon for moving. Mrs. Taylor, with her children, located upon the land in the early spring of 1857, and lived there until her sad death, which was caused by her clothes catching fire while trying to save her home from a sweeping prairie fire. This occurred September, 1859, and the mother was laid to rest in a quiet grave on the homestead where she lost her life. Her house was an humble cabin, 16x24 feet, one and a half story. Some of the children are still living at Iowa Falls, and Alden, Hardin county. (Chapter 24, Lee twp., page 457-458)
Joseph Thomas was born in Lafayette Co., Wis., in 1854. He is the son of Thomas and Rosetta Thomas. When he was four years of age his parents moved to Grant Co., Wis., where he was raised on a farm, and educated at the public schools. When he was twenty-one years of age he went to Piano, Ill., to work in a reaper manufactory. He remained there two years, when he returned to Wisconsin, staying there with his mother one year. His father died when he was quite young. In 1878 he came to this place and clerked for his brother one year. He then, in company with his present partner, Mr. Lawrence, spent one year traveling through the west, taking in Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota and Indian Territory. They then returned to Sheffield, formed a partnership, and engaged in the lumber business, buying out R. Wilde. In the winter of 1882-3 they started the coal yard. Mr. Thomas was married in June, 1882, to Julia Lawrence, a sister of his partner. She was a native of East Dubuque, Ill. They have one child — Fleta May. Mr. Thomas is a member of the Masonic lodge, was one of the charter members, and has been the S. W. ever since the lodge was organized. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 327)
Theodore Thomas, a native of Ogle Co., Ill., was born Oct. 2, 1844. He is the son of Elias and Susan (Rice) Thomas, natives of Washington Co., Md.; the father born Jan 27, 1813, the mother in 1817. They were married in Ogle county, in 1837, where the mother still lives, the father having died Jan. 3, 1881. They had a family of six children, Theodore being the fourth. He enlisted July 1, 1862, in company B, 92d Illinois, serving till July 7, 1865. He took part with. his regiment in thirty-two battles, among which were Stone river, Chickamauga and Mission Bulge, and was with Sherman on his march to the sea. On receiving his discharge he returned to Ogle Co., Ill., where he was married, March 21, 1867, to Elizabeth Wagoner, also of Ogle county, born May 5, 1844. Four children were born to them — Olin W., Elias W., Edna E. and Theodore L. Mr. Thomas is a member of the Masonic lodge at Geneva, and is a republican in politics. He came to Franklin county in the spring of 1868 and settled first in Osceola township, remaining there until 1876, when he removed to Reeve township. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 529)
William Thomas was born in England, in 1844, and is a son of Thomas and Rosetta Thomas. He came to Sheffield, Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1879, and, in partnership with his brother, went into the general merchandise and grain business, where they have built up a large and lucrative business. He came to America, with his parents, in 1848, and settled in Grant Co., Wis. He received a common school education and grew to manhood on a farm In 1864, when he was twenty-two years of age, he went to California, and with good success engaged in mining for three years, then returned to Wisconsin. He came here in 1879. Mr. Thomas was a charter member of the Masonic lodge, of which he has been master since its organization. He was also a master for two years in Wisconsin. He is a member of Arch Chapter, at Hampton, also Asylum Commandery, No. 43; was one of the charter members of the I. O. O. F., of which he is still a member. He has been, and is now, treasurer of the town. He was married in 1871 to Miss E. Glover, a native of Wisconsin. They have three children — E., Orville and Bertha. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 331)
I. I. Thompson was born in St. Joseph Co., Mich., Dec. 6, 1842. He is the son of Giles and Electa Thompson. In 1864 he enlisted in company G, 19th Michigan Infantry, and fought in the battle of Resaca, Ga., also at Atlanta. At Resacahe was wounded, May 15, 1864, in the right side, which kept him in the hospital for three months, hence he is now drawing a pension. He was honorably discharged at Louisville, Ky., on the 20th of July, 1865. Soon after the war he came to Iowa, locating first in Black Hawk county, afterward in Chickasaw county, and in 1873, he came to Franklin county, settling on section 4, Richland township. Since his arrival he has taken an active interest in local politics and at present is one of the township trustees. In 1866 he married Belle Nichols, a native of New York. They have had six children, two of whom are living — Charles and Florence. (Chapter 32, Richland twp. page 563)
James Thompson. In October, 1859, James Thompson was elected treasurer and recorder, over John E. Boyles and Isaac Miller. Mr. Thomp- son served for two years. After the resignation of Judge North (ca1867), James Thompson was appointed county judge and served about four months, until his successor was elected and qualified. He is still a resident and an honored citizen of Hampton. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp. page 387)
James D. Thompson, the first judge of the thirteenth judicial district, was born Sept. 19, 1832, near Fredonia, Chautauqua Co. N.Y., and is the second son of Capt. Isaac K. and Emily D. Thompson, natives respectively of Massachusetts and Vermont, descendents of English forefathers who settled in New England before the Revolution He lived with his parents on a farm, attending the common schools, and afterwards the academy in Fredonia, N.Y., till seventeen years of age, when he went to Niagara county and taught his first school. During the winter his father was accidentally killed, and from that time lie was left to his own unaided exertions. At the close of his school, in the spring of 1850, he returned to Fredonia, and again resumed his studies at the academy, and in his leisure hours read law, teaching again the following winter in Laona, a town near Fredonia, still continuing his law studies. In the spring he entered the law office of Hon. O. W. Johnson, of Fredonia, and at the same time recited with his class in the academy until he finished his law studies. Always of slight physical development and high nervous temperment, such close application told seriously on his health. Having been a sufferer from neuralgia to such an extent for three or four years as to compel him to read mostly at night, it now completely prostrated him; and for more than a year he was unable to read even the weekly newspaper, and for more than two years it stuck to him closer than a brother. Never, during all that time, was he free from it two weeks in succession. In the spring of 1854, he came to Iowa, having passed one year in Kentucky and one year in Ohio, engaged in railroading, both in constructing and engineering; arrived at Marietta, the county seat of Marshall county, on the 24th of May, meeting there Hon. Delos Arnold, an old friend and schoolmate, his only acquaintance in the State. After remaining at Marshall a few weeks, he concluded to make Hardin county his home, and on the evening of the 15th of June he walked into Eldora with his satchel on his back, aud soon opened a law office, engaging in surveying and real estate business. He was elected prosecuting attorney at the next regular election, and in the summer of 1855, became county judge by the resignation of Judge Alexander Smith. He was nominated by the democrats for that office during the Know-Nothing excitement, but withdrew from the contest. In the fall he returned to New York and was married to Dorinda Clough, of Laona, on the 12th of September, 1855, and immediately started for Iowa. In the spring of 1857, at the request of the democracy and a few personal friends of the republican party, he consented to run for the office of judge of the district court, and though the district was largely republican, was elected for the term of four years, holding the office until legislated out by the adoption of the new constitution. At the request of the Democratic Central Committee of the different counties, he announced himself as an independent candidate for reelection; but owing to the aspiration of others then professing to belong to that party, he consented to go before a convention of his party, and was nominated, receiving thirty-six out of thirty-nine votes on the first ballot. The district being largely republican, and the excitement of the "Dred Scott decision" at its height, a regular nominee of a democratic convention could expect nothing but defeat, and when the contest was decided, his opponent, Hon. John Porter, had a majority of less than 300 votes. This was a time, also of county seat removals. Of the counties forming the district, three-fourths had, during his term of office, held elections, and in most cases the contest was carried into the district court for adjudication. While holding the office of judge, being largely interested in the town of Hamption, the county seat of Franklin county, he moved there and resided a portion of the time. Returning to Eldora after the expiration of his term of office, he entered into partnership with Hon. H. L. Huff, and continued in the practice of his profession till he entered the army, in 1861; was a member of the State convention that sent delegates to Charleston, in 1860, and canvassed a portion of the State for Douglas in that exciting campaign; volunteered as a private in Capt. Stump's company, but withdrew by permission to assist in the organization of the 1st Iowa Cavalry; raising and commanding company G of that regiment; returned to Hardin county and took an active part in the election of the fall of 1861, supporting Hon. W. J. Moir as the Union candidate against Mr. Brown, the republican nominee. After the election he returned to his regiment, and was from that time in active service with his company and battalion during the years 1861 and 1862, that battalion accompanying Gen. Fremont in his famous campaign to Springfield; was present commanding his squadron at the battle of Milford, in December, 1861, when, after a sharp fight, 1,300 rebels under Cols. Robinson and Magoffin surrendered to 400 men of the 1st Iowa Cavalry and fifty regulars under command of Gen. J. C. Davis; a success that gave Gen. Pope prominence, and which he utilized to its full extent. Again at Silver Creek, Howard county on Jan. 8, 1862, when the 1st Iowa and a part of Merrill's Horse defeated Poindexter. In January, 1862, having been placed in command of the cavalry stationed at Sedalia, Mo., he, with a detachment of the 1st Iowa, numbering 120 men, fell upon 800 confederates under Gen. E. W. Price, son of Gen. Sterling Price, while crossing the Osage river at Warsaw, about 4 o'clock on the morning of the day of the battle of Fort Donelson, and succeeded in cutting off and capturing Gen. Price, Col. Dorseyand other officers, and some fifty or sixty men, 400 horses, mules, etc., for which service he received special commendation from Gen. Halleck. In April of the same year, he was ordered to Warrensburg to relieve the garrison under Major Foster, of the Missouri troops, who had been driven into the stockade, and besieged by Quantrell and Parker. Leaving Sedalia at eleven o'lock on a rainy night, by a forced march of thiny miles, he reached Warrensburg at sunrise, with 200 men and a section of artillery, to find that Quantrell had raised the siege and decamped. So he moved out fifteen miles from Warrensburg, fell in with Col. Parker and a portion of Quanrell's troops, and engaged in a running fight for two or three miles through the timber, killing Capt. Griffith and four or five men and wounding as many more, captured Col. Parker and fifteen or twenty of his troops. He was ordered to Lexington in May, thence to Clinton. He was a member of the military commission at Butler, Bates county,during the summer of 1862, assuming command at Clinton in August for a while, but owing to an unyielding attack of neuralgia and sickness and death in his family, he resigned in October, and returned home to remain only till his health improved, when he again returned to the army, having been commissioned major of the 8th regiment, Iowa Cavalry. Soon after he joined his regiment it was ordered south, and by the 1st of December reached Nashville, Tenn. During that month he was assigned to the command of a sub-district, under the immediate command of Gen. Gillem, with headquarters at the terminus of the Western railroad, thirty miles out from Nashville. This winter he succeeded in defeating, killing and capturing at different times the most of the celebrated Hawkins' Scouts, and driving Col. Hawkins, their commander, into the arms of the 2d Ken- tucky Cavalry, as it was marching through the country. He was ordered to Iowa in March, 1864, in command of a detachment to escort recruits to different regiments in the department of the Tennessee. After discharging that duty, he was detailed on court martial at Nashville till Gen. Sherman was ready to begin his march to the sea, when he was ordered to his regiment, then stationed at Cleveland, Tenn., but soon destined to move to the front, where it was continually engaged in scouting and skirmishing. One time it was thirteen days successively under fire, till the unfortunate raid near Rome, Ga., resulting in the capture of its colonel and most of the regiment, a portion only cutting its way out with Gen. Edward McCook. He was breveted lietenant-colonel for gallant and meritorious service. The terrible strain of such severe and continued service, the exposure and over exertions, resulted in an attack of neuralgia of the heart, so violent as to compel him to be sent to the hospital at Nashville for treatment, where he remained nearly three months without improvement, and until discharged, on certificate of permanant disability, by a medical board specially appointed. Arriving home in the fall of 1864, broken down in health but not in spirit, he located on his farm engaging for two years in agriculture. In 1866 he was nominated for congress by the peoples' party, and made a thorough canvass of the district, and, though running far ahead of his ticket, was defeated. In 1867 he received an appointment as pension agent at Des Moines, to which place he removed, residing there till his term of office expired; then returning to Eldora in 1872, was a delegate to the democratic State convention, and was largely instrumental in securing harmony of action between that convention and that of the liberal republicans. He was also a delegate to the Baltimore convention that nominated Horace Greeley for president, and was selected by his fellow delegates as the member (from Iowa) of the committee to await on Mr. Greeley, of New York, and appraise him of the choice of the convention. Having performed this duty, he returned to Iowa and entered vigorously into the campaign that resulted so disastrously to Mr. Greeley and democracy. Coming to the conclusion that he was not a president maker, he has from that day since religiously abstained from all conventions. Though a member of the grange and an active supporter of the anti-monopoly movement, he only labored as a private, refusing promotion. In 1874 Judge Thompson closed his office in Eldora, and in 1875 removed to San Francisco, Cal., where he now resides. By the constitution of 1857, Franklin county became a part of the eleventh judicial district, and still forms a part of that district. (Chapter page 164-167)
Dr. O. P. Thompson, allopath, who was born in Hampton, opened an office in 1877. He remained about six months. Dr. Thompson was a graduate of the Iowa State University at Iowa City. He came home from Wisconsin, where he had been practicing. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, page 201)

O. P. Thompson, of the firm of Tompkins & Thompson, was born in Benton Co., Iowa, Oct. 23, 1854, and settled in Sheffield, Clinton township, in 1878. His parents, James and Mary Thompson, settled in Hampton, Iowa, when he was two years of age. Here he grew up. His father was the first merchant in Hampton, afterwards engaged in the real estate business. After receiving a common school education, O. P. Thompson spent two years at Grinnell College, entered the medical department of the State University at eighteen years of age, in 1872, and graduated in 1875, after which he commenced the practice of medicine at Neilsville, Wis., remaining there for two years. He then spent a year in traveling and came to this place in 1878, and followed his profession for three and a half years when failing health compelled him to give up his practice. He then formed a partnership in general merchandise with Mr. Tompkins, which has been successfully continued ever since. Mr. Thompson was married in 1878, to Lizzie M. Pride, a native of Ohio. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 331)
William H. Thompson came in 1855 and settled on sections 7 and 8. His wife tells of many laughable incidents connected with pioneer life in Franklin county. It is related that the few women of the settlement used to call upon each other, not for sympathy, but for the express purpose of getting more of a company to help each other "hate the country." The old settlers of the township tell of a "curious" soup, noted for not being over rich. A soup bone was hung up in the window and its shadow allowed to fall upon boiling water.

William H. Thompson

William H. Thompson, one of the old settlers of Geneva township, was born in New Hampshire in 1831. He grew to mannood in his native State, on the farm, attending the common school and academy in his native town, where he also taught school. In the fall of 1855, he came to Franklin county and entered his present farm. He remained in Waterloo, Iowa, during the winter, returning to his new home the following spring, where he has since resided. On the organization of the township, Mr. Thompson was appointed township clerk. He has also held the office of drainage commissioner, and in 1856 held the office of deputy county clerk. He is a staunch republican. He was married in the spring of 1857 to Lucy E. Joslin, a native of New Hampshire, born in 1828; they have had six children, four of whom are now living — George D., Herbert W., Clarence H. and Roland J. Mr. Thompson is a member of the Methodist Church. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp. page 345-346; portrait page 177)

William Thornberry came to Franklin county in 1867, and purchased his present farm in West Fork township. He is the son of Richard and Agnes Thornberry, born in Tennessee, in 1805. His parents left the south on account of slavery and removed to Indiana. William remained at home until he was twenty years of age 5 and received only a limited education. He was married to Elizabeth Young, who died in 1855. This union was blessed two children, one of whom is living — Sarah, wife of Isaac Hurst, now residing in Kansas. In 1856 Mr. Thornberry was again married to Margaret Conrod, a native of Kentucky. Two children have been born to them, of whom one is living — Margaret, now teaching. Mr. Thornberry was formerly a democrat, but since the war has voted with the republican party. For over forty years he has been a member of the United Brethren Church. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., page 578)
C. H. Tidd, M. D., came to Franklin Co., Iowa, and located in Geneva in 1875. He has been very successful in the practice of medicine, having by close application to his profession built up an extensive practice. He was born in Coolville, Athens Co., Ohio, Oct. 28, 1847, where he spent his youth, attending the village school. He then spent three years in the academy, when by the final examination he was pronounced prepared for the sophomore class in college, but circumstances prevented his then entering college and he engaged with a mercantile firm in Brooklyn, Mich., and afterwards in the same business in Brighton, Ill. During this time he employed all his spare hours in the preliminary studies of medicine for which he always had a fondness. After spending two years at Brighton he returned to Ohio where he entered the Medical College of Ohio in 1869, and graduated in 1872. By a competitive examination he was elected one of the internes of the Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati, where he spent one year. He then began the practice of medicine at Middleport, Ohio, and established an extensive practice, but owing to some financial reverses decided to come west, and after considerable prospecting chose Geneva as his future home. In January, 1883, he was selected by the Central Railway of Iowa as first assistant surgeon of the road with charge of all cases occurring north of Marshalltown; he, with surgeon W. R. Nugent, of Oskaloosa, being the only surgeons employed by the company along the entire line. He is widely known to the medical profession as the author of several medical essays, for one of which he received five years' subscription to the New York Medical Journal, one of the oldest and most reliable medical journals in America. He is also a frequent contributor to the Detroit Lancet, the Southern Medical Review and the Medical and Surgical Reporter of Philadelphia. For an article published in the latter the editor presented him with a copy each of Flint's Physiology, Vogal on Diseases of Children and Pepper and Smith on Diseases of Children. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, page 203)
O. H. Tilman, a native of Darke Co., Ohio, born in 1839, was a son of Daniel and Mary (Thomas) Tilman. His father was born in Ohio, the mother in Tennessee. In 1842, they moved to Indiana, and in 1855 to Franklin Co., Iowa, settling on section 10, Geneva township, where they lived until they died, the father in 1861, at the age of fifty-two, the mother at Ackley, in 1876, at the age of sixty-four. Aug. 14, 1862, the son, O. H. Tilman, enlisted in company H, 32d Iowa Volunteers and served until Aug. 25, 1865. He took part in a number of engagements. When he received his discharge he came back to Franklin county, where he has since resided, except four years spent at Ackley. He was married in 1867 to Miss M. L. Clinesmith, born in Holmes Co., Iowa*, in 1848. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania, who moved to Ohio in 1832, stopped in Wayne, and afterwards moved to Franklin county, where they are now living with their daughter. The father was born in 1805, the mother in 1809. They had six children, all dead but one, Mrs. Tilman. Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Tilman have two children, W.O. and Jessie M. Mr. Tilman is a member of the I.O.O.F. at Ackley. The parents of Mrs. Tilman, Andrew and Margaret (Miller) Clinesmith, came from Ohio to Franklin county, in 1855, and settled at Mayne's Grove, remaining there one year, when they went to Morgan township; they also lived at Ackley, Hardin county. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., page 363)

*Transcription note: Researchers should verify her birth place. There is no Homes county in Iowa.

B.R. Tilton. The first exclusive grocery store was started by B. R. Tilton, in 1882. B.R. Tilton came to Franklin county in 1882. He was born in Maine, in 1848, where he was reared on a farm, educated at the common schools and followed farm life in his native State until March, 1872, at which time he came to Iowa and settled at Pleasant Grove, Floyd county, where he farmed for three years. In 1875, he went to Riverton township, the same county, where he engaged in farming until 1877. From there he went to Nashua, Iowa, and engaged in speculation in real estate and stock until 1882, when he came to Sheffield and opened a grocery store. In 1864, he enlisted in company D, 9th Maine Volunteer Infantry, and served with distinction until the close of the war. He received a severe wound in the mouth, at the battle of Darbytown Road, Virginia, in the fall of 1864; the ball entered his mouth and came out at the side of his face, near his right ear. He was only sixteen years old at the time. He remained in the hospital until the close of the war, suffering greatly from his wound. In 1873, he was married to Martha J. Clark. They have had three children — Lula, Mary J. and George H. The eldest, Lula, died of diphtheria, in 1870, and was buried at Pleasant Grove. Mr. Tilton belongs to the G.A.R. and also the A.O.U.W. societies. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 332)
W. B. Timerman, in the fall of 1872, came to Franklin county and purchased the farm where he now lives. He is of German descent, and his great grandfathers, on both his father's and mother's side, were soldiers of the Revolutionary war. W. B. Timerman, the subject of this sketch, was born in Herkimer Co., N. Y., 1833, and was the son of Adam and Eve A. (Smith) Timerman, natives of that county. The family removed to Jefferson Co., N. Y., and engaged in farming. Mr. Timerman was married in January, 1866, to Elizabeth Graham, then of Franklin Co., Iowa. Her father, John Graham, a native of Ireland and her mother Sophia (Miller) Graham, of French and German extraction, were born and reared in New York city. They were among the pioneers of Jefferson Co., N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Timerman are members of the Wesleyan Methodist Church. He is a steward and class leader. They have four children — Melvin R., Percy G., Alida E. and Mary B. Mr. Timerman is a good republican and takes great interest in politics. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 522)
H. A. Tompkins was born in Westchester Co., N.Y., in 1846. He is the son of Thomas H. and Charlotta Tompkins. He remained in his native place until he was seventeen years of age. In 1863 he came to Iowa on his own account, and first settled in Hancock county. For five years, he was engaged in several different occupations, and in 1870 he returned to New York, remaining there until the spring of 1874, when he again came to Iowa and settled at Clear Lake, engaging in the machinery business until 1878. He then went into a store in that place, where he remained until he came to Sheffield, and on the 1st of January, 1882, engaged in general merchandise business in company with O. P. Thompson where he has been very successful. He was married in 1868, to Frances Kelsey, a native of Ohio. She died in 1870, leaving one child — Vinna J. He was again married, in October, 1876, to Harriet A. Andrews, a native of Wisconsin. One child has blessed this union — George. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 331-332)
Warren S. Towle came to Franklin county with his parents in 1865, and settled on section 3, in Reeve township, where his mother is still living, his father having died Nov. 24, 1881. W.S. Towle was born in Somerset Co., Maine, in 1842. In 1858 he and his parents moved to Dane Co., Wis., remaining there until 1866, when they came to Iowa. He was married July 28, 1867, to Annie Hoole, born in Ohio in 1844. They were married in Livingston Co., Mo. Mr. Towle has lived in Hampton sixteen years engaged at carpenter work They have one child — Joseph W. Mr. Towle is a republican and has held several local offices. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 521)
Robert E. Train who was the postmaster at Dows in 1883, was born in Sandusky, Ohio, in 1834, but was reared in Licking and Knox counties, receiving his education at Antioch College under the instruction of Horace Mann, after which he followed teaching, and in May 22, 1856, come to Morgan township, where be has since lived with the exception of ten years spent in Wright county, where he held the office of town clerk six years, also county superintendent of schools, also member of the board of county supervisors. After returning to Morgan township he was supervisor one year, town clerk six consecutive years, then assessor two years. In 1880 he engaged in the real estate business, when he received the appointment of postmaster of Dows, which office he now holds. He was married April 27, 1861, to Hulda J. Morgan, a daughter of the oldest settler of the township, after whom it was named. They have five children, three of whom are living — Francis E., Orrin B. and Robert E. Mr. Train is a member of the Congregational Church, also a member of the Masonic lodge of Dows, of which he is secretary. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., page 466-467 and page 473)

The first school in the township was taught at Otisville, in 1856, by R. E. Train. This school house served for the whole township until 1867. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., page 473)

James Treanor is the present assessor of Osceola township. He came in 1869, and resided on section 17. He is a son of Thomas and Mary (Treanor) Treanor, and a native of Leod county, Ireland, born May 17, 1850. When he was two years of age, the family emigrated to America, and settled in Dubuque Co., Iowa, where James received his education and remained until coming to Franklin county. He is a single man, and has seven sisters and brothers, living — Margaret, Ann, Bridget, James, John, Bernard, Mary and Rosa. His brother John married Maggie Kearney, in 1876. Mr. Treanor and family are Catholics. In politics, James is a democrat. He was town clerk one term, and is the present assessor. He is regarded as an excellent citizen, and held in high esteem. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., page 504)
John Treganza was born in England in 1841, and came to America in 1843, with his parents, who settled in Jo Daviess Co., Ill. He lived on a farm until seventeen years of age, when he commenced to learn the wheel wright trade, and also that of stone cutter; the latter he followed for four years, and since that time has followed wagon making. In 1879, he came to Iowa, working at his trade at Hampton until the spring of 1882, and then moved to Sheffield, engaging in the wagon business. He was married in 1864 to Elizabeth Mills. They have four children — Joseph, Emma, Marcus M. and Henry. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 336)
James Trindle has been a resident of Franklin county since 1862. He exchanged a farm of ninety acres in Wisconsin for 320 acres of land in Ingham township and $500 in cash. Immediately on his settlement here, with the assistance of his eldest son, then sixteen years of age, he broke sixty-five acres, and the following year, harvested 800 bushels of wheat, 500 bushels of corn and 100 bushels of potatoes. He has now one of the most productive farms in the township. Mr. Trindle is one of five brothers, all living, who have, unaided, made their lives successful. All contributed to the support of the family until after the age of twenty-one. One lives in Pennsylvania; two are in railroad business in Indiana and one is in Iowa. Mr. Trindle, of this sketch, was born in Fairfield, Westmoreland county, Aug. 24, 1823. William and Agnes (McCurdy) Trindle were natives of the same county. The paternal descent is Scotch; the mothers ancestors were Irish. At ten years of age, James began life as a driver on a canal, and continued until old enough to fill a more important place. After two years as a laborer, he was made a captain, and two years later bought a boat which he sold the following year, and was then employed by the Pennsylvania & Ohio Co., as captain of a boat plying between Pittsburg and Johnstown. Tired of life on a canal, he began a mercantile career at Bolivar, which he maintained two years and relinquished on account of poor health. He went, in October, 1854, to Dodge Co., Wis., where he spent eight years in farming, and then removed to Iowa. He built his fine residence in the fall of 1879. He was married, Dec. 24, 1846, to Margaret Baird, of Westmoreland Co., Penn. Her parents were settlers of Derry township, and owned an immense tract of land. Mr. and Mrs. Trindle had eight children, all of whom grew to maturity. Two are now dead. Those living are — George W., Jane A., Sarah O., John F., Julia F. and Mary E. Mrs. Trindle died, June 20, 1880, and was buried in Union Ridge Cemetery, Butler county. Mr. Trindle was married July 4, 1881, to Mrs. Maria Hilliker. She was born in the State of New York and settled in the territory of Wisconsin. Her first husband, E.J. Hilliker, came to Iowa in 1867, and died in Ingham township in 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Trindle are members of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Trindle is a republican in politics and has served four years as justice of the peace. (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., page 437)
John R. Trumbower came to Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1873, and bought land in Geneva and Osceola townships to the amount of 220 acres. He has always made farming his occupation, and thus, having given his whole energies to it, has made it a success. He is an intelligent and progressive farmer. He now lives in Ackley, Hardin Co., Iowa, but still owns land in Osceola township. He was born in Montgomery Co., Penn., Feb. 25, 1838, and was married Dec. 16, 1862, to Amelia Butz, who was born in Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Trumbower are the parents of seven children — Jacob, Sarah, Minnie, Emma, John, Milton and Cora Eva. The youngest and John were born in Iowa, and the others in Illinois. Mr. Trumbower is a good citizen, and among the most enterprising men in the community. (Chapter 29, Osceola twp., page 508)
H.Z. Tucker was born in the town of Stafford, Orange Co., Vt., in 1837. When thirteen years of age, his parents came to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., where H. Z. grew up, and was educated in the common schools. He enlisted, May 24, 1861, in company E, 15th Illinois Infantry, and served till 1864. He was a brave soldier and took part with his regiment in the battle of Shiloh and several other engagements. When he received his discharge he returned to Jo Daviess county, and on the 25th of October, 1864, was married to Jennie Townsend, born in the same county, in 1843. Here he engaged in farming until 1876, when he came to Franklin county, and located on section 36, Reeve township, where he still resides. They have one child — George A. Mrs. Tucker is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Tucker is a member of the Masonic fraternity, is a republican in politics and has held several local offices both here, and in Jo Daviess county, prior to his coming to Iowa. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 523)
W. K. Tucker, a prominent farmer of Ingham township, was born in Windham Co., Conn., April 16, 1826. His father was from Rhode Island and was a shoemaker. The son worked in the cotton mills of Connecticut until 1858, when he went to La Salle Co., Ill., and one year later removed to Lee county in the same State. He came to Franklin county in November, 1865, and began with 160 acres of land in Ingham township, and at once entered upon its improvements. He hauled the lumber for his house from Aplington. The roads were in such a state that they were compelled to unload their three wagons five times and carry their lumber through sloughs. Mr. Tucker now owns 320 acres of land and has eighty head of stock and 150 sheep. Mr. Tucker is the only farmer in Ingham who raises sheep profitably. He was married in 1849 to Mary A. Cogswell of Brooklyn, Windham Co., Conn. They have five children — William C., born Feb. 14, 1850; Charles, born Nov. 20, 1855; Edward H., born Oct. 8, 1858; Ralph E., born July 24, 1868, and Ellen M., born March 24, 1852. All the children are living with or near their parents, with the exception of the youngest daughter, who is the wife of Mr. Bell, of Wright Co., Iowa. Mr. Tucker is a democrat in politics (Chapter 23, Ingham twp., page 437-438)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

This page was updated 03/09/2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.