1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

P & Q

~*~*~

Henry Palmer came to Scott township in 1879 and took charge of the Cobb farm. He was a native of Canada West, born June 20, 1838. He grew to manhood in his native country, and in 1853 came to Iowa and lived in different parts of this State, Wisconsin and Illinois, engaged most of the time in lumbering in Wisconsin. He has held several local offices since coming to Scott township. He was joined in marriage in 1869 to Mary Buss. They have four children living — Mary, Johnnie, William and Elizabeth. (Chapter 33, Scott twp., page 565)
Nathan Parker opened his grocery store, in 1878, in a building adjoining the Franklin County Bank. He is still in business. (page 399)

Nathan Parker, grocer, established his business at Hampton in 1878. He was born in Barnstable Co., Mass., May 7, 1831. At fifteen he went to sea and made two trips on a whaler, lasting four years. At the termination of his second voyage, in 1849, he crossed the plains to California, and in 1852, returned to Massachusetts where he engaged in commercial matters until he came to Iowa in 1877. He spent a year at Eldora before coming to Franklin county. He belongs to the Congregational Church, and is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows orders. He was married in 1855 to Elizabeth G. Clark, of Massachusetts. (Chapter 22, Hampton city & Washington twp., page 400)
Samuel Parkinson came to Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1861, and settled on land which he had formerly bought in Morgan township. He owns 300 acres of land, forty acres of which are timber. He has made improvements on his land, erected valuable buildings and makes this his present home. He was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1825. After he became of age, he learned the carpenter trade, and in 1851, left his native land and came to America, spent one year in Pickaway Co., Ohio, then came to Iowa and lived two years in Muscatine and Cedar Rapids. In 1854, he settled at Iowa Falls where he engaged in mercantile business, remaining there until he came to his present home. He was married, February 19, 1855, to Elmira Stevens, of Illinois, by whom he has had six children: Anna R., George F., William S., Florence M., Alice M. and Edith M. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., page 467)
William Parks — In 1882, William Parks established himself, in company with his son, in the agricultural implement business. William Parks, of the firm of William Parks & Son, was born in Knox Co., Ohio, in 1834, and went with his parents, in 1848, to Green Co., Wis. After his education in the common schools he went to Missouri and spent three years in the hardware business, then returned to Wisconsin, where he went into the dry goods business, remaining until 1876, when he came to Franklin Co., Iowa, settled at Hampton and engaged in selling dry goods. He spent three years at Leadville, Col., mining and prospecting, and made a small fortune. In 1882, he came back to Franklin county and established himself in the business of farm machinry in Sheffield, which business he still follows. He is a member of the Masonic lodge at Hampton and is a republican in politics. He was married, in 1865, to Angeline Bennett, also a native of Ohio. They are the parents of five children — Dallas B , Emma E., Henna A., Charlie and Derwin. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 328)
D. J. Patton is one of the leading farmers of Mott township. He came to Franklin county in 1870. He soon after located in Ingham, remaining until 1879, at which date he became proprietor of his present farm of 308 acres, on section 3, Mott township. Mr. Patton is extensively engaged as a stock farmer in addition to the ordinary business of an agriculturist. He has been the incumbent of several township offices and is at present trustee. He was born in Fayette Co., Penn., Jan. 27, 1836. His parents, G. R. and Ruth (Johns) Patton, were natives of the keystone State, and, in 1848, came to Green Co., Wis. Mr. Patton was married, in 1855, to Sarah E. Gapen, a native of Pennsylvania. Their children are — George C., Frank L., Lena B. and Fred S. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 486)
Fred Paullus has been a farmer of Mott township, since 1870. He owns a fine farm of 60 acres. Mr. Paullus was born in Germany, Sept. 10, 1836. He came to the United States in 1854, and made his first settlement in Schuylkill Co., Penn., going thence, a year later, to Wisconsin, which was his home until he came to Franklin county. He was married, in 1861, to Eliza Kaus. Following are the names of their nine children — Lizzie, Catherine, Henry, Fred, Lena, Mena, George, Carl and Louisa. Mr. Paullus has held the position of road supervisor. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 486)


James Pearse settled in the township in 1872. He is a native of England, born in Devonshire, May 4, 1825. He is the son of Jeffrey and Joan (Hendy) Pearse, natives of Devonshire, England, who died there, the father July 7, 1847, aged sixty-three, the mother in January, 1869, aged seventy. His father was born and raised in the house where the family had lived for several generations. His parents had eleven children, of whom James was the tenth. He grew to manhood in his native land, and though his early advantages were limited as to an education, yet by self-application and study he has acquired a good practical education. In 1850, he emigrated to Canada, and engaged in farming, remaining there until 1871, when he removed to Linn Co, Iowa, renting land one year. The next fall he came to Franklin county, locating on section 7, in Geneva township, where he still remains. He now has 600 acres of good land, valued at $25 per acre. Mr. Pearse has been very successful since he came here. He landed at Hampton with no capital to begin on except a wagon and three horses; but by industry, economy and hard work, he has secured a good home and competence for life. On the 12th of April, 1852, he wedded Jane Reynolds, who was born in Suffolk, England, Aug. 1, 1823. By this union they have had eight children: William, Hannah (deceased), Jeffrey, Thomas, John, James Henry, George Reynolds and Stephen. Mr. and Mrs. Pearse are members of the Methodist Church at Geneva. He is a sound republican, and at different times has filled local offices in his township and county. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., page 357-358)

Jeffrey Pearse is a farmer by vocation, his farm consisting of 120 acres, under a good state of cultivation, valued at $20 per acre. He is the son of James Pearse, born in Halton Co., Canada, April 15, 1857. When fourteen years of age he emi- grated with his parents to Iowa, first going to Linn county and from there to Franklin county, where he grew to manhood, re- ceiving a common school education. He was married, May 31, 1883, to Polly Hayes, born in Green Lake Co., Wis., Oct., 7, 1864. Mr. Pearse is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge at Geneva. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., page 358)
Jacob Pearson purchased his present home in 1874, and settled on it in 1879. He had but little means when be came, but by industry and economy has acquired a large farm and as fine buildings as any in the township. He was born in Montgomery Co., Penn., in 1837, where he received a good common school education, and then learned the machinist trade, working at it in his native place until 1865, when he went to southern Illinois and followed his trade eight years. He was city marshal of Pana, Ill., and in February, 1876, removed to Fort Dodge, Iowa, working at his trade for three years. In politics he is a republican. He was a school director one year. He is of Quaker descent and holds to the religion of his forefathers. He was married, in 1860, to Sarah Jane Millard, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children — Joseph, Henry and Jimmie. (Chapter 21, Hamilton twp., page 378)


George W. Pease was born at South Bend, Ind., Oct. 25, 1838. His parents came to Iowa not long after that event, and settled in Henry county, where they remained a few years, and then went to Grant Co., Wis. There George grew to man's estate. In December, 1861, he enlisted in company I, 16th Wisconsin Infantry. He was wounded in the right knee at Pittsburg Landing, April 6, 1862, and was soon after transported to the hospital at Keokuk, Iowa, from which he was discharged in October ensuing. He re-enlisted in September, 1863, in company E, 8th Iowa Cavalry. He went into the ranks, but in June, 1864, he was commissioned second lieutenant. He was again wounded July 30, 1864, and taken prisoner and was taken to the stockade prison at Andersonville, Ga. Sept. 16 following his capture, in company with two others, he made his escape and turned his back forever on the king disgrace of the insane south. The party hid by day and traveled by night in the direction of the Union lines, picking their route, shielded by the friendly darkness until the last day of September. Starvation stared them in the face many times, and they were only preserved from extreme suffering by the sympathetic negroes, who supplied them with food. After fifteen days of united toil and privation Mr. Pease's companions took a different route. On the 3d of October he was gladened by a sight of the Union lines, and was soon in safety at Atlanta. He learned a few days later of the re-capture of his companions. Soon after rejoining his regiment, he succeeded to the command of his company and retained the position until the release of his superior officers from prison. At the termination of the war he was transferred to the command of a company in the 136th U. S. C. I., where he continued in service until January, 1866, when he was discharged at Augusta, Ga. He returned to Wisconsin and engaged in mining. He came to Franklin county in 1868 and settled on the farm he now owns, situated one mile east of Hampton. His venture was unfortunate and in 1872, he disposed of his interests and sought to retrieve his fortunes in the mines of Idaho and Utah. In 1881, he returned to Hampton and bought the farm with which he parted nine years previous. It now includes 278 acres, all under first-class improvements, and valued at $14,000. He is now extensively engaged in stock raising. He was married in 1882 to Mrs. L. Rose. They have one child — Gertrude Maggie. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 483)

J.B. Peck, agriculturist, is located on a farm two miles east of Hampton. He is the present township clerk of Mott township and secretary of the school board. He is also secretary of the Franklin county Anti-Horse Thief Association, and secretary of the Agricultural Society of this county. He was born in Licking Co., Ohio, Aug. 16, 1830. His father, Benjamin Peck, was born in Nova Scotia, and his mother. Caroline (Biggs) Peck, was a native of Maryland. Mr. Peck acquired a good education in the common schools of the place of his birth and finished his studies at Granville, Ohio. In 1859, he became principal of the middle building on State street, Columbus, Ohio, which place he filled three years, and while there he graduated from Duff's Commercial College. He was also principal of the schools at Johnstown, Alexandria and Hartford, Ohio. He has taught six terms since coming to Franklin county, making thirty-five terms in all. In 1863, he settled in Keokuk Co., Iowa, where he was elected county surveyor, and held the office four years. He became a resident on the farm he now owns in 1868. Mr. Peck is a republican of the radical stripe and is prominent in the local politics of his township. He was married in 1861 to Mary R. Moorehead, of Granville, Ohio. Mr. Peck has pushed his way in life, and, by economy and industry, has accumulated a fine property. He owns 490 acres of land valued at from $30 to $50 per acre, comprising some of the best improvements to be found in the county. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 484) Transcriber's note: this biography was indexed as Beck, and in the book the bio is headed with the name "J.B. Beck". Everywhere else his surname is given as Peck.
Rev. N. Pedersen, pastor of the Otis Grove Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church, was born in Denmark, Nov. 20, 1842. In 1866, he came to the United States, and was engaged in mercantile business at Indianapolis, Ind., several years. In 1873, he went to Decorah, Iowa, and entered the Norwegian Lutheran College to prepare for the ministry. He studied there two years, one year at the German Lutheran Seminary, at Springfield, Ill., and the Norwegian Lutheran Seminary of Madison, Wis , and entered upon the duties of his present pastorate, in 1877. The following named congregations are included in his charge: Otis Grove Norwegian Church; Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tipton, Iowa; Rigsoger Norwegian Lutheran Church, in Wright county; St. Peters Danish Evangelical Church, of Franklin county; Richland Evangelical Lutheran Church, in Franklin county, and "Our Saviours Danish Evangelical Lutheran" Church, in Hancock county. He preached at each place once a month. He married Julia Frederick Peterson at Indianopolis, Ind., in 1870, and they have six children — Ingeborg Magdalena, Johanna Sophia, Peter Johannes, Walter Stephannes, Louisa Christiana and Ida Caroline. The fourth and fifth named are twins. (Chapter 28, Oakland twp., page 496)
Newton Penny was born in Howard, Co., Ind., Nov. 3, 1843. When fourteen years old he went to Missouri, and from there to Marion Co., Iowa, where he remained over two years, and came to Franklin Co., Iowa, settling in Grant township, October, 1872. He enlisted in the 32d Iowa Volunteers under Capt. R. S. Benson, of Hampton, and was mustered out Aug. 24, 1665, at Clinton, Iowa. He was married, Oct. 28, 1866, to Catherine Miller, by whom he had five children who are living — Elizabeth C., Hattie B., Nancy C., James E. and Jeannette. Mr. Penny is a member of the Odd Fellows order, also of the Knights of Honor. In politics he is a republican. He has been township trustee eight terms, and justice of the peace seven years, besides holding other offices. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., page 372)


Joseph Perrin — The first blacksmith was Joseph Perrin, who opened a shop in 1874. He is a native of England, born in 1835. He came to America with his parents in 1849, settling in Jo Daviess Co., Ill. When he was seventeen years of age he learned the blacksmith trade and followed it in Illinois until 1861, at which time he enlisted in the 3d Missouri Cavalry, serving nearly three and a half years, a good part of the time being spent at his trade. At the close of the war he was honorably discharged, came home with his regiment and turned his steps towards Illinois, where he followed his trade until he came to Iowa, in 1870, and settled in Clinton township. Here he farmed until Sheffield was started, then came to the village and built the first blacksmith shop. His business is large and lucrative. He owns 120 acres of land near the village, also eighty acres adjoining the village, ten acres of which he had platted into lots as the Perrin addition to Sheffield. Mr. Perrin was a member of the school board two years, and has held other minor town offices. He is a member of the Masonic order at Sheffield, of which he is an officer, and signed its charter; is also an officer in the G. A. R. He was married in 1865 to Maria M. Wilde. They have five children — Bertha, George K., Ada M., Florence W. and Frank E. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 335)

Josiah Phelps opened the first grocery in Hampton, in 1867, and afterward took in O. F. Sweet as partner. Mr. Phelps sold to O. F. Sweet, who has since continued the business. (page 398)

Phelps Bros opened their grocery store, in 1880, in the Beed block. (page 399)

Josiah Phelps, of the firm of Phelps Bros., grocers, has been a resident of Iowa since the year 1843, when his parents moved to Wapello county. Mr. Phelps was born in Gallia Co., Ohio, Jan. 27, 1843. He enlisted in Wapello county, March 10, 1862, in Company E, 17th Iowa Infantry. He was captured Oct. 13, 1864, and conveyed a prisoner to the stockade prison pen at Andersonville, Ga., and there held until April 10, 1865. He was under fire at Corinth (first and second battles), at Farrington, Iuka, Yockahockany River, Miss., Port Gibson, La., Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hills, Black River, siege of Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, and went through the Atlanta campaign. After his discharge, June 9, 1865, he returned to Iowa, and April 27, 1869, came to Hampton where he has since been actively engaged in the grocery business. He was married Oct. 24, 1869 to Mary Eller, of Wapello Co., Iowa. They have nine children as follows — Jennie L., Arthur D., William R., Benjamin, Jessie and Bessie, twine, L. D., Martha and May. Mrs. Phelps died April 5, 1880. (Chapter 22, Hampton city & Washington twp., page 399-400)
Robert F. Piatt — About the first attorney to locate in Franklin county was Robert F. Piatt. He was a native of Williamsport, Pa., was well educated, being a graduate of Mifflinburg Academy. He afterwards studied law, and was admitted to practice in Williamsport. Having relatives in Cedar Co., Iowa, he came west in 1855, and being a cousin of Herman and Charles Allen, he came "to view the prospect o'er" in Franklin county. He found it just organized, but no lawyer, and thinking that here was a field that offered good inducements, he put up at Judge Reeve's, and speedily was the legal adviser of the officials of the new county, and of everybody else who desired legal advice. He was a good penman and everything that he made a record of was neatly done and in a business like manner. The first entry in the county judge's minute book was written by him. In the spring, after the location of the county seat, he removed there and became intimately connected with the official growth of Franklin county. He afterwards got into financial trouble and left the county, going still farther west. (Chapter 7, The Bar, page 179)
Albert Pickering was born in Richmond, Cheshire Co., N. H., in 1814, of which county and State his parents were also natives. He grew to manhood in that county, and received his education in the common schools, his early life being spent on the farm. In 1842 he went to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., and engaged in farming, and also in the mercantile business In 1850 he went to California where he worked in the mines, and also kept a provision store. He remained here until 1853, when he returned to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., and in 1861 he came to Franklin county, and settled on section 36 in Lee township, where he lived two years, when he removed to Reeve township, afterwards engaging in the mercantile business in Hampton. Mr. Pickering has been twice elected to the office of sheriff, and has held several township offices. He is independent in politics, and votes for the one he believes to be the best man. He is now living in Reeve township. In 1834 he married Laura Fowler, a native of New York. They have had four children, one only living at this time. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 520)
Nicolaus Plattner is a farmer who settled on section 22 of Grant township, in 1880. He farms a lage tract of land which he is managing according to successful methods, and where appearance and outfit reflects the greatest credit upon its proprietor. Mr. Plattner was born in Switzerland, May 3, 1832. Like every son of Helvetia, he received a good and useful education, and was fitted in his native country to become a good citizen, particularly of a Republic. He came to America in 1858, and perfected himself in the art of gardening. He was married April 9, 1862, to Maria Rath. The family includes nine children — Jacob, Andrew, John, George, Anna C., Samuel, Frederick N., Mary and David. Mr. Plattner settled first in Minnesota, and shortly after went to Dubuque, Iowa, where he lived eighteen years working at his trade. In 1880, he settled in Franklin county, as stated. He belongs to the Presbyterian Church. (Chapter 20, Grant twp., page 372)
V. B. Pool, dental surgeon, has been located at Hampton since December, 1881, and has an extensive and increasing business. He is a graduate of Victoria Dental College at Toronto, Canada, and a registered dentist of the State of Iowa. Dr. Pool was born in Oxford Co., Canada, Feb. 21, 1850. He received a common school education in the county of his birth and afterward studied for his profession. He came to western Wisconsin in 1878, and in the spring of 1879 to Mason City, Iowa, where, associated with Dr. Harkinson, he engaged in dentistry. He was married Feb. 10, 1877, to Christiana Harkinson, born in Oxford Co., Canada. Their children are Nellie, May and Hardy Fayette. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession, page 203)
John I. Popejoy came the next year, 1854, entering 600 or 700 acres of land. In 1855, he came to remain a permanent resident. He was the first settler north of the Iowa river. In 1854, he came with H. H. Pierson to the grove where H. C. Holmes had made a preemption of 160 acres. They stopped at a spring on the place, and soon heard someone coming, which proved to be two men carrying a gun and an ax. When meeting they were asked what they were doing there. Some sharp words followed, and the party tried to force Popejoy and Pierson away, but they did not propose to be driven away, and after a few minutes a bargain was struck by which Popejoy bought them out for $50. He had the finest tract of timber land on the Iowa river, covered with oak and black walnut. His first entry consisted of a mile square, to which he added from time to time, up to 1880, when he possessed 2,860 acres in one body, 1,000 in grass and the balance in timber and plowed land. In 1881, he built the largest and finest farm residence in this part of the State, costing $12,000. This house is a two-story frame structure, situated in a beautiful oak grove, about thirty rods from the east bank of the Iowa river, over-looking this famous valley, which in mid-summer presents a charming landscape. John I. Popejoy holds, by seniority of settlement, first rank in the pioneer element of Oakland township He made his first journey to Iowa in 1854, in quest of land and selected a location in Franklin county. The year following he removed his family hither, and the oft-repeated but ever interesting tale of pioneer privations and struggles forms a chapter in their history. In this land of marvelous progress the resistless march of posterity is fast relegating the fathers, with their matchless records, to the past. It is the province of county history to redeem their chronicles from oblivion. Mr. Popejoy was born in Fayette Co., Ohio, Feb. 10, 1824. His father was a merchant, and at the age of eight years he became an assistant in his store, acquiring a practical insight into all the details of local commerce. At a suitable age he was sent to Carey's Hill Seminary, at Cincinnati, where he took a thorough course of commercial study. He engaged in traffic in merchandise of varied character, and also as a drover, taking cattle over the Alleghanies to eastern markets. In 1841, his father became security for a friend and thereby lost his property. Thus, at seventeen, Mr Popejoy was forced to depend on himself. He determined to be fitted for emergencies and worked a year at shoe-making. He next went into a grain and provision house at Chillicothe, Ohio, became bookkeeper and retained his position until the death of his employer, when he returned to the home of his youth and began to operate as formerly in stock, buying and selling in the eastern markets. This he continued until his settlement in Iowa. He entered 640 acres of land to which he has added by purchase until his possessions include nearly 4,000 acres. His homestead estate embraces 2,860 acres, with 1,000 acres devoted to the cultivation of tame grass. He has from the first operated in stock and is one of the heaviest shippers in Franklin county. His herd ranges from 250 to 500 head, and his annual shipments of hogs aggregate about $2,890. Mr. Popejoy has always been prominent in public affairs, and has represented his district in the county board of supervisors sixteen years, was the first assessor in Franklin county and has been school treasurer for twenty years. He has also officiated as town clerk and trustee. He belongs to the Masonic lodge at Iowa Falls, and is a Universalist in belief. Mr. Popejoy was married, in November, 1849, to Frances Sophia Pearson, of Ohio. They have seven children — Mary E., now Mrs. L. R. Fobes; Virginia E., wife of J. H. Gilder; Flora A.; Frances, now Mrs. F. A. Thayer; E. P., Ethel A. and J. H. Popejoy. (Chapter 28, Oakland twp., page 492-493)
John Porter, the successor of Judge Thompson, was born in Washington Co., Pa., April 14, 1828. His boyhood life was spent in milling and farming during the summer seasons, and in attending the common schools in the winter. At the age of eighteen, he commenced teaching district school, and for three years his time was passed alternately in teaching and attending school to perfect himself in the higher branches. He then entered the office of Todd, Hoffman & Hutchins, Warren, Ohio, where he read law some years. In 1854, on his admission to the bar, he located at Plymouth, Ind., where he remained two years, and then removed to Mason City, Cerro Gordo Co., Iowa. He soon took high rank as a lawyer, and obtained a good practice for that day. In 1858 he was elected judge of the newly organized district, which position he occupied until he resigned, in 1866. The energy displayed, with quick and good judgment, earned him the good will of both the bar and people of the district. Judge Porter was united in marriage with Mariam Stevens. They had one child. For several years the judge has taken great interest in railroads, and has devoted much of his time to securing roads through Hardin county. As a lawyer, he is recognized as one of the best in the State, and is an honor to the Hardin county bar. In the fall of 1865, Judge Porter resigned and Daniel D. Chase was appointed by the governor, Feb. 5, 1866. (Chapter 6, The Courts, District court, page 167-168)
Dr. J. M. Potter, of the eclectic school, came from Faribault, Minn., and located at Sheffield in 1875. He was a native of New York State and had studied his profession in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1881 he went to Xenia, Dallas county, this State, where he was still located in 1883. He built up a fair practice and was thought well of as a physician. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession, page 204)
Henry O. Pratt — In the re-districting [of 1870], Franklin county became a part of the fourth district. It was first represented by Henry O. Pratt, of Charles City, in the 43d Congress; he was re-elected to the 44th and served until March, 1877. Mr. Pratt was a native of Maine. He came west at an early day, and in June, 1862, was admitted to the bar at Mason City. Soon afterwards a call was made for 600,000 men, by the president, and he enlisted as a private in company B, 32d Iowa Infantry. He became completely broken down in health in less than a year, and was discharged in the spring of 1863. The following summer, while regaining his health, he taught a small school in Worth Co., Iowa. His health being restored, he commenced the practice of law at Charles City. (Chapter 12, Representation, page 250)
Dr. John M. Pride located at Hampton in 1878. He entered into partnership with Dr. O. B. Harriman and remained about one year. Dr. Pride graduated from the medical department of the Iowa State University at Iowa City. He is now practicing in Whitamore, Kossuth Co., this State, and is succeeding remarkably well, having a large practice. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, page 201)


~*~*~


August Quasdorf is a native of Germany. He came with his parents to the United States in 1855, when he was thirteen years of age, and came to Iowa in 1864. He lived one year at Alden and then moved to Franklin county, bought wild land in Morgan township, erected a board shanty and immediately commenced to make improvements on his land. He came here with very little means, but by good management, hard work and economy, he has become one of our most successful farmers. He owns 274 acres of well improved land, on which he has erected a commodious frame house in which he now lives; and besides his improved land, he has forty-five acres of timber. He was born Nov. 12, 1841, and when his parents came to America, they settled in Dodge Co., Wis., where the father died in 1860, at the age of fifty-four years, and the mother, March 14, 1877. August was the youngest of six children, and since coming here, has taken an active interest in township matters and has filled the offices of trustee and assessor. He was married, Aug. 29, 1859, to Miss Luhm, a native of Germany, born Jan. 16, 1842. Their union has been blessed with nine children, seven of whom are now living — Carl A., George F., Emma A., Edward A. and Henrietta L. J. They are members of the Lutheran Evangelical church. Mr. Quasdorf 's mother is now living with him, being eighty- eight years ot age. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., page 468-471)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

This page was updated November 27, 2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.