1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

L

~*~*~

Jeremiah Lane came in 1865, locating on section 27, where he still lives, engaged in farming. He was born in New Hampshire, in 1807, and was married to Abigail Morrison, also a native of New Hampshire. In 1850, they emigrated to Kane Co., Ill., where they lived until coming to Lee township. They have had three children, two of whom are living. (Chapter 24, Lee twp., page 458)
Lorenzo D. Lane came to Franklin Co., Iowa, in 1870, and lived on a farm near Hampton until 1880, when he went into the book and music trade in Hampton. He was one of the board of supervisors two years, is now justice of the peace, and was one term in the Iowa State legislature. The sixteenth General Assembly convened in January, 1876, at Des Moines. Lorenzo D. Lane took the place of M. A. Leahy as representative. He is a member of the M. E. Church in Hampton. He was married in 1852 to Miss M. A. Mickle, and they have three children living. Mr. Lane was born, July 29, 1830, in Licking Co., Ohio, where he grew up. He received a common school education, and spent three years in the Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, then came west to Freeport, Ill., and from there to this county. (Chapter 12, Representation, page 253)
Milton D. Latham was the fourth of a family of six children, and came to Franklin county in 1874, locating on section 26, in Reeve township, where he now resides. His farm consists of eighty-five acres, under grood cultivation He was born in Jo Daviess Co., Ill., in 1849, where he grew to manhood, receiving a common school education, and was married, in 1874, to Emily Buss, born in England, in 1852. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Geneva, and have three children — Carrie, Edith and Jessie. His father was born in Vermont, his mother in Ohio. They were pioneer settlers of Jo Daviess Co., Ill., where they both died. The parents of Mrs. Latham were born in England, where the mother died in 1868. The father then emigrated to Stephenson Co., Ill., where he is still living, having had a family of eight children. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 523)
L. S. Lathrop was born in Susquehanna Co., Penn., Jan. 7, 1830. He is the son of Zebadiah and Maria (Thatcher) Lathrop. His father was a native of Connecticut and his mother of Vermont. In 1851, the family removed to Cedar Falls, Iowa, and in 1855 settled on section 17, Mott township, Franklin county, where the son, L. S., entered a farm. He built a log house and broke ten acres the first season. In 1873, he came into Hampton where he has since resided, and for the past four years has had charge of the cemetery grounds at Hampton. He has been married twice. His first wife was Maria Keinnel. She bore him one child, Erne, now the wife of Ira Fay. Mrs. Lathrop died in 1871. His second wife was Sophia Wauld. They were married in 1873, and have one child — Myrtie. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., page 432)
J. F. Latimer, president of the First National Bank, has resided in Hampton, Franklin county, since 1871. He is a native of New York State, born in Tompkins county, Sept. 25, 1833. He grew to manhood in his native county, receiving but a limited education. In 1854, he came to Wisconsin and soon after engaged in the grain trade at Walworth, in which he was very successful. He continued this business until he came to Hampton, in 1871, and then in company with A. G. Kellam, established the Franklin County Bank, of which he was the first president. In 1876, he disposed of his interests in this bank and in company with D. D. Inglis engaged in the real estate business. In 1881, he became one of the founders of the First National Bank, which is one of the soundest banking institutions in northwestern Iowa. Mr. Latimer was elected the first president of this bank and still holds that position. Mr. Latimer is a republican and whilst never seeking to be prominent in politics, yet he has always taken an active interest in trying to secure worthy candi- dates for election. He is a Master Mason. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 422-423)
L. Lawrence of the firm of Thomas & Lawrence, dealers in lumber and coal, was born in Grant Co., Wis., in 1856. He came here in 1881, and formed a partnership with Mr. Thomas in the lumber and coal trade, and they have a good business. His early life was spent on his father's farm in Grant Co., Wis., and later in Jo Daviess Co., Ill. His education was acquired in the common schools, after which he spent a few years railroading. In politics he is a republican; is a member of the Masonic lodge at Sheffield, and has been its secretary ever since the lodge was organized; he is also a member of the Royal Arch Chapter, at Hampton, Iowa. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 327)
J. J. Layman, lawyer, was a native of Elmira, N. Y. and came here in 1858. From here he went to Cedar Falls and engaged in the insurance business. On the breaking out of the rebellion, Mr. Layman returned to Elmira, N. Y., and was commissioned as colonel of a New York regiment. (Chapter 7, The Bar, page 180)
M.A. Leahy, came to this county in 1868, and during his first winter taught school at Chapin. The next winter he taught the Reeve school in Reeve township. In 1870, he located at Hampton, where he opened a law office. In 1871, he was elected to the State legislature from Franklin county, and re-elected in 1873. During his second term, he was chairman of the judiciary committee, the most important committee of the General Assembly. In 1878, Mr. Leahy entered into partnership with Colonel Reeve, in the practice of law, giving most of his attention, however, to the real estate and insurance business. Mr. Leahy entered the Union army and served in a Wisconsin regiment until the close of the war, coming out of service as a captain. He was a fine scholar, having graduated from the Wisconsin State University, and from the law department of the Michigan University. He was a man of good moral character and was respected by the whole community. He was a good stump speaker, and in later years, was the acknowledged leader of the greenback party in this county. Mr. Leahy is now located in Wausau, Wisconsin. (Chapter 7, The Bar, page 180-181)
Dr. J. J. Leas came to Hampton, from St. Louis, in 1871, for the purpose of practicing medicine. He was a good physician and full of fun. He remained in Hampton about ten years, when he went to Nebraska. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession, page 200)
Dr. Lee located in Sheffield in 1882, coming from Wisconsin. Dr. Lee is a graduate of Ann Arbor College, Michigan, and is a first-class physician. His practice is steadily increasing, and he is destined to be one of the leading physicians of the county. The doctor is a married man and has one child. (Chapter 9, The Medical Profession, page 204)
James Lefever came to Franklin county in 1870, and bought ninety-four acres of land. He now owns 188 acres, nearly all of which is under cultivation. He built his present residence in 1873. He is chiefly engaged in the raising of stock, and has now thirty-six head of cattle, 100 hogs and ten milch cows. He sells his cream at the Hampton creamery. In 1877 he went to Wexford Co., Mich., where he was interested in farming and lumbering. He remained eighteen months and returned to Iowa. He was married July 4, 1867, in Grant Co., Wis., to Clara, daughter of William Carroll, a resident of Franklin county. Mr. and Mrs. Lefever have six children — Adelbert, Guy, Carroll, Orland, Ida and Etta. The parents are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Lefever has been president and secretary of the school board, and has also held the office of road supervisor. He is a republican in politics Mr. Lefever was born Sept. 6, 1844 in Lancaster Co., Penn. His father, Abram Lefever, was a farmer in that county and when his son was two years of age, the family moved to the vicinity of Erie. Mr. Lefever moved to Grant Co., Wis., in 1865, and became the owner of fifty acres of land.(Chapter 23, Ingham twp., page 444)
Frederick R.H. Lill has been a resident of section 14, Geneva township, since 1870. He was born in Lincolnshire, England, Nov. 10, 1818, receiving a common school education, and where he engaged in farming and as teamster until 1856, when he emigrated to Canada; thence to Green Lake Co., Wis., in 1869, where he lived for one year and sought Iowa for a permanent home He was married, in 1846, to Elizabeth Brown, born in Lincolnshire, in 1820. They had two children — Harriet who died in England, and Mary A., born in Canada. They are members of the Methodist Church. He is a republican in politics and has been in office. He has eighty acres of land valued at $35 per acre, which is under an excellent state of cultivation. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., page 357)
Dr. Lincoln, an old school physician, came to Hampton, from Ohio, in 1871, and remained one year. His practice was not very extensive, so he left. (Chapter 9, Medical Profession, pg 200)
A.T. Little son of Abijah and Sarah Little, in 1859, came to Iowa by team, taking six weeks to make the entire trip, having his wife and four children with him. They first settled on section 28, West Fork township, Franklin county, the family being the fourth to locate in this township. They lived there until 1870, when Mr. Little bought the farm of 320 acres in Ross township, which he still owns. He was born in Ashtabula Co., Ohio, in 1830, where he grew up on a farm and received a common school education. His father was a native of New York, being of Irish and Scotch blood, his mother a native of Massachusetts, of English descent. When he was eighteen years of age his father died, his mother having died a year before, and he commenced to earn his own living. He worked for others three years, then bought a farm and cultivated the soil, in Ohio, until 1859, when he came to this county his first residence in West Fork township being a very humble little log house. He was town clerk in West Fork for a number of years, trustee of the school for many years, director for twenty years, justice of the peace for fourteen years, and in fact has held all the town offices. In politics he is a republican. He has been a member of the I O. O. F. at Hampton for twelve years. He was married in 1851 to Harriet Gillett, born in New York. They have had eleven children — Charles G., who was killed at the age of twelve by the discharge of a gun in the hand of another boy; Linter A., who now lives in this town; Sumner B., in California; Vernon E., Orinda, wife of A. J. Cannon; Amand, Charles S., Emma S., Adrian A., Frankie, who died when a child, and Hattie. (Chapter 31, Ross twp., page 545-546)
Leonard N. Lockwood is one of the first settlers in the township of West Fork, and among the earliest residents in the county of Franklin. He comes of a pioneer race, his parents having been among the first inhabitants of Saratoga Co., N. Y . His maternal grandmother was living in Pennsylvania at the period of the Indian disturbances, and was driven from the State by the redskins, about the time of the massacre at Wyoming. His father, James Lockwood, was from Duchess Co., N. Y., and his mother, Eunice (Carr) Lockwood, was born in Rhode Island, where her parents fled for refuge. Leonard N. was born at Wilton, Saratoga Co., N. Y, Nov. 29, 1830. He there attained to man's estate, obtaining such education as the common schools afforded. He spent some months in teaching, and in 1855 yielded to the reported promise of the great West. He accompanied an uncle to Wisconsin, made a brief stay at Geneva Lake, and from there in company with another uncle who resided at the Lake, made a prospecting tour across the State in a buggy. From La Crosse they passed into Minnesota, and thence by way of Osceola, Iowa, to McGregor, where he took river passage to Dubuque, his uncle returning home to Geneva. Mr. Lockwood there engaged with a surveying corps and passed the summer in the St. Croix valley, Wis. He returned in December by way of St. Paul and Dubuque, to Geneva, where he spent the winter. In March, 1856, he went to Dubuque to seek information respecting the feasibility of settling in Iowa. Franklin county seemed to offer special advantages, and he proceeded to make a tour of investigation. He made the acquaintance of Solomon Robinson at Iowa Falls, and they entered upon their search together. On their route to Franklin county, they fell in with John O. Crapser, and the three prosecuted their purpose in company. They viewed the territory now included in West Fork, and made their selections. Mr. Lockwood fixed upon the northeast quarter of section 1, township 93, range 19, and, in company with Crapser and Robinson, went to Fort Dodge and made entries of their claims in the land office. He bought fifteen acres of timbered land in partnership with Mr. Robinson, at Allen's Grove, and some cattle, and began breaking the prairie. They were obliged to go to Cedar Falls for a plow and wait until one could be manufactured. They broke, that season, about thirty acres of land. Meanwhile they lived in a tent eight feet square, which sheltered them until fall. During the following winter they got out logs and in the spring of 1857 built a house. The site of this was on Robinson's claim, with whom Mr. Lockwood lived until his marriage. He taught school in Walworth Co., Wis., in the winter of 1857-8, returning to his farm in the spring. He planted his crops and secured a school, which he taught two terms. He also taught singing school at the lower grove on Coldwater creek, near the present site of Greene, and at Marble Rock. The crops were an utter failure that year from the wet season, and Mr. Lockwood harvested four bushels of wheat from fifty bushels of seed. The stringency of the times involved much suffering, and he divided his earnings as teacher with his friend Robinson, as a contribution to the support of the family. Mr. Lockwood pushed the improvements on his place, and now claims the best stock farm in West Fork township. He has 360 acres all inclosed and under the best improvements. The farm is stocked with sixty head of cattle, twenty-six milch cows, 100 sheep and thirty hogs. His home, built originally in 1865, has been enlarged and modernized, and in 1871 he erected a barn which with the additions made in 1852 make 50x64 feet on the ground. Mr. Lockwood values his farm at thirty dollars per acre. He was married Nov. 13, 1865, to Serena E. Landes, of Butler county. Her parents came from Indiana, and were pioneers of the last named county. William E., Martha J., Clarence H. and Elsie L. are the children of the household. The family attend the Baptist Church at Coldwater. Their parents were members of the first Baptist organization in the town. Mr. Lockwood has always been a republican, and has officiated in all the local positions of trust of any importance. He is a fine type of the solid element that has given Iowa her prominence, and is reaping the reward of energy and well directed effort. (Chapter 34, West Fork twp., page 569-570)
D. Loomis was born in Oneida Co., N. Y., in 1828. His father and mother, Benjamin and Martha (Denslow) Loomis, went to Oakland Co., Mich., when the subject of this sketch was a mere child. He remained on his father's farm until he was twenty-three years of age, having received a common school education. He then bought a farm of his own, in the same State, which he continued to work for twelve years then removed to Winnebago Co., Ill., where he bought a farm and lived until 1870; then sold and came to Iowa settling on the southwest quarter of section 16, West Fork township. Here he engaged in stock raising. His farm is now worth $30 per acre, which he has rented to a son and son-in-law, he having bought a residence in the town of Sheffield. He has held local offices in the different States in which he has lived. Politcally, he is and has always been a republican. Mr. Loomis was married in 1853, to Lucy Cross, a native of Michigan. They have five children — Lydia, Amy, Elmer, Lucy and John. They have buried three. His parents both died in Michigan, at the age of seventy years. (Chapter 18, Clinton twp., page 318-321)
Lucius Loss settled on section 10, Mott township, in 1867, where he now owns 160 acres of finely improved land. He has been a valuable citizen in his township, holding himself as under obligations to respond to the call of his fellows in whatever position needed. He has been township trustee six years, and officiated as school director and treasurer. He was born in Windham Co., Vt., April 18, 1815. Not long after his birth his parents moved to Saratoga Co., N. Y., where Mr. Loss was assistant on his father's farm, and had small advantages for an extended education. He determined to come west, as the east offered but limited opportunities for a man's advancement without means. He removed to Dane Co., Wis., in 1847, and when he arrived the aggregate of his finances showed an exhibit of eleven dollars. He remained in Dane county until 1867. He was married Dec. 19, 1842, to Mary Ann Kemp, born in Sunderland, Bennington Co., Vt., Jan. 19, 1819. Of their six children, Philo L., Ida M., Charles C. and Frank are living. Mr. and Mrs. Loss are members of the Methodist Church. (Chapter 27, Mott twp., page 482)
O.F. Lowe opened his present shop and business at Hampton, in 1879. He came here in 1876, and has since worked at his trade. Mr. Lowe was born in Jefferson, Cass Co., N.H., June 16, 1830. He enlisted as a recruit in the Mexican war, but remained only a short time in the service. Not long after he shipped on board a whaling vessel, and was afterward engaged as a sailor on a merchant-man. Afterward, while on a whaling voyage, the vessel touched at an island in the South Pacific, where the ruling element was cannibal. He had had a misunderstanding with the captain, and resolved to leave the ship, which he did at the port referred to, the vessel sailing without him. His experiences were novel, to say the least, as he was more than once in the greatest danger of being eaten by the natives. At one time he was surrounded and expected to be taken prisoner, but for some unknown reason they left him. Another vessel touched on the island, and succeeding in getting aboard, he went to Chili, South America, where he stayed three months, and then sailed for the United States. He fixed on the trade of a blacksmith and ship ironer, as a business, and in 1867, came west as far as Cleveland, Ohio, going thence to Solon, Ohio, where he worked as a blacksmith. He was married, August 17, 1867, to Ellen Thompson, and in 1868, came to Maysville, Franklin county, and opened a shop remaining one and a half years He then went to New York and interested himself in mercantile affairs. He removed to Butler Co., Iowa, in 1873, where he remained until he came to Hampton, in 1876. Mr. Lowe has several inventions in popular use. The family includes two children — Florence E. and Mabel E. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., page 405-406)
Garrett W. Luke was born in Albany Co., N. Y., May 22, 1842. When he was about twelve years of age, his parents moved to Boone Co., Ill., and resided there five years. They then moved to Jo Daviess county, where young Luke enlisted, August, 1862, in company K, 96th Illinois Infantry, serving till the war closed in 1865. He took part with his regiment in twenty-seven battles and skirmishes including Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Franklin, and was with Sherman as far as Atlanta, and at Nashville, at the surrender of Hood. On being discharged, he returned to Jo Daviess county, and in January, 1868, was married to Harriet F. Turner, born in Jo Daviess county, August, 1842. The next June, the young couple came to Franklin Co., Iowa, and settled on section 26, Reeve township, where they still reside. Six children have been born to them — Harry E., George F., Cora J , Edwin, Eftie and Alice. Mr. Luke is a staunch republican, and is a member of the township board of trustees. (Chapter 30, Reeve twp., page 524-529)
J.W. Luke, junior member of the law firm of Harriman & Luke, was born near Albany, Albany Co., N. Y., in 1840. His parents were Garrett and Maria (Hotelling) Luke, both natives of Albany Co., N. Y. In 1849 the family removed to Cayuga county, same State, where they lived five years. In 1854 they removed to Illinois, locating for the first four years in Boone county, and at the expiration of that time went to Jo Daviess county. In April, 1861, Mr. Luke enlisted in company E, 15th Illinois Infantry, and on the organization of the company he was elected second lieutenant. He commanded the company during almost the entire time until the summer of 1865, when the company disbanded and Mr. Luke was discharged from service as a captain. During the war Mr. Luke participated in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Vicksburg, Atlanta and all of the engagements of the Army of the Tennessee, to which his company was attached. At the battle of Sliiloh he was wounded in the right thigh and in the left leg below the knee, being disabled for over two months. On the first day of that memorable battle, there were seventy men in his company, and out of that number there were forty that were killed or wounded. After his discharge Mr. Luke returned to Jo Daviess Co., Ill., and was elected sheriff of the county, which office he held for two years. In the meantime he had been applying himself to the study of law, and as soon as his term of office expired was admitted to the bar, commencing practice at once. Shortly after being admitted to the bar Mr. Luke was elected prosecuting attorney of his county, holding the office four years. After this he engaged in the practice of his chosen profession at Galena, Ill., until the spring of 1882, when he came to Hampton. He at once opened a law office, engaging in practice alone until fall, when he entered into partnership with W. F. Harriman, under the firm name of Harriman & Luke. Mr. Luke was married in September, 1866, to Sarah A. Yerrington, a native of Michigan. (Chapter 7, The Bar, page 186)
Gideon Lumley came in 1864. He is a son of Caughlin and Frances (Milligan) Lumley, and was born at Dunrick, province of Ontario, Canada, January 9, 1847, where he spent his childhood. At the age of seventeen he came to Franklin county, Iowa, and lived in Mott township for some time and then settled on sections 1 and 2 in Marion township, living on section 1, where he now resides. On the 17th of January, 1868, he married Laura E. Riddle. They have five children — James C, Edward, Joseph, Elmer and Harry. Frank, their second son, died July 20, 1869. Mr. Lumley has been a school director two terms. (Chapter 25, Marion twp., page 461)

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

This page was updated November 27, 2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.