1883 Biographies
From the History of Franklin and Cerro Gordo Counties, Iowa; Springfield, Ill. Union Publishing Co., 1883

Transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall

I

~*~*~

Henry Ihde was born in Sulte Amt Schweren, Germany. When sixteen years old, his parents emigrated to Dodge Co., Wis. He received a common school education in the German language. He enlisted in company C, 1st Wisconsin regiment, served three months in the army of the Potomac; was enrolled April 24, 1861; discharged Aug. 21, 1861. He re-enlisted Aug. 21, 1862 in company K, 29th Wisconsin Infantry; discharged June 22, 1865; was wounded in the face by a gun-shot at Champion Hills near Vicksburg. After receiving his discharge he returned to Wisconsin, and in 1867 removed to Franklin county and settled in Geneva township, where he still lives. He was married Nov. 1, 1865, to Mary Burmeister, a native of Zecun Amt Hagenow, Germany. They have five children - George, Clara, Laura, Augusta and Edwin. He served faithfully in the war and his pension is only a just due. He is an estimable citizen. (Chapter 19, Geneva twp., pg 354)
John Imlay was born in New Jersey, in 1823. When an infant his parents moved to Washington Co., Penn., remaining until 1835, when they went to Muskingum Co., Ohio, where John grew to manhood, receiving a limited education and learning the carpenters trade, which he followed until the fall of 1860, when he came to Franklin county, locating on section 15, in Reeve township, where he now lives.

He was married Sept. 6, 1856, to Mary Connor, born in Virginia, April 24, 1832. Mrs. Imlay is a member of the M. E. Church at Maysville.(Chapter 30, Reeve twp., pg 519; portraits pgs 216 & 217)

George H. Ingham of Granville, Ohio, was among the first settlers, and to him the township is indebted for its name. George H. Ingham came from Ohio in 1855, and located on the northeast quarter of section 32. He remained until 1863, when he engaged in trade, at Hampton, with William G. Beed; he afterward returned to his farm and finally sold it to C. J. Mott, in 1866, and returned to Ohio. He was the first president of the Hampton cemetery association, formed July 11, 1863. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 429 and Chapter 23, Ingham twp., pgs 432 & 434)
D. D. Inglis, cashier of the First National Bank, and one of its founders, is a native af Scotland, born June 13, 1839. Until he was twenty years of age he attended the public schools of his native town, fitting himself for a business career. He entered the employ of a mercantile house in London, England, and afterwards at Shanghai, China, subsequently engaging in commercial pursuits in Japan, which proved a successful venture. In 1876, he came to America and soon after to Franklin county, where he engaged in business with J. F. Latimer, and on the organization of the First National Bank became its cashier. He is a member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Inglis was married in 1868, at Shanghai, to Matilda Weed of Walworth county, Wis. They have three children. (Chapter 22, Hampton & Washington twp., pg 423)
Erik S. Iverson is a substantial farmer of Oakland township, and is located on 160 acres of land on section 18. His farm is valuable from its situation and degree of cultivation, Mr. Iverson being a skilled agriculturist from training and practice. He was born in Norway, near Christiana, Nov. 27, 1831. At twenty-two, he came to this country and went to Green Co., Wis. In 1864, he enlisted in company A, 46th Wisconsin Infantry, and was in the service eight months, his term expiring with the close of the war. In 1868, he came to Franklin county and fixed his residence as stated. He has made all the improvements on his farm, and keeps thirty head of cattle and about the same number of hogs. He was married, in Wisconsin, in 1858, to Martha Erickson. Four of seven children born to them are living — Edwin, Julius, Adolph and an infant daughter, Emila Matilda. Mr. Iverson is a republican in political sentiment, and has been school director two years. He and his wife are members of the Norwegian Lutheran Church. (Chapter 28, Oakland twp., pg 497)
Iver Iverson, accompanied by his brother Erik, came from Norway to America, in 1868. His parents are still living in their native country. He came from Wisconsin to Iowa with his brother, and has since been a resident of Oakland township. He first purchased forty acres of land and began farming. He has increased his property to 160 acres, located on sections 20 and 28. He is a good farmer and has 100 acres under good cultivation, and values his land at $3,500 in the aggregate. He owns twenty head of cattle and turns off thirty hogs annually. He was married, in 1868, to Anna Erickson, a native Norwegian. Of their seven children five are living — John A., Martin, Ellmen, Oliver and Minnie. Mr. and Mrs. Iverson are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Iverson was born Aug. 22, 1842, near Christiana, Norway. He is a republican in political action. (Chapter 28, Oakland twp., pg 497)
J. J. Iverson, grain and stock buyer, came to Iowa in 1876, taking charge of Richardson & Robertson's elevator, remaining in their employ until 1880, when he formed a partnership with E. Oleson, in Dows, buying grain. In 1883, he purchased his partner's interest and the elevator built by G. H. Richardson, in 1880, and with it has connected stock buying, in which he is very successful. His parents were natives of Norway, emigrating to Wisconsin, in 1833, being among the early settlers, and where they still live. He was born in LaFayette county, in 1850, grew up on the farm, receiving his education in the district school. From there he removed to Franklin county. He was married in 1876, to Anne Gardalen, who is a native of Norway, born in 1854. They have three children — Oliver B. , Mary G. and Ida E. They are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church at Oakland. (Chapter 26, Morgan twp., pg 474

~*~*~

1883 Biography Index

 

This page was created on April 8, 2014
2014 by IAGenWeb & the various submitters.