Fayette County IAGenWeb
Join Our Team
Courtesy of Nancy Espersen
West Union Republican Gazette
July 7, 1876
"Out of Town Locals and Sketches"
Hon. R. A. RICHARDSON was
born and reared in the State of New York. He came to this State in 1853
buying a large tract of land - some 600 acres - on the divide of Mink
and Otter Creeks, Illyria Township, which at that time was sparsely
settled. Has at present 200 acres in farm, about one-fourth timber, the
rest under a good state of cultivation, fenced in five different fields,
with never-failing springs in every field, which makes it well adapted
to stock raising. His dwelling is 37 by 42 frame, nicely furnished. Barn
is very large, with basement full size. Besides his private dwelling he
has two tenant houses. His buildings are sheltered by a heavy grove of
timber on south and west, a bearing orchard and small fruits of every
kind. Has a fine drove of fat hogs - Poland China and McGee breeds. Mr.
Richardson killed two last winter that averaged over 500 pounds each,
twenty months old.
who had his leg broken a few weeks since, is doing well; will soon be
able to walk without the aid of crutches.
in northwest part of town, has bought the PALMER farm
and built a frame addition 14 by 18.
an old resident of the town, and a well-to-do farmer, is building a
pretty frame house 28 by 36, two stories.
Mrs. William Henry HUMPHREY has
a large and well improved farm, with large two story house, beautiful
lawn, shade trees, etc.
Mr. H. WYCKOFF,
on the Elkader road, has a brick yard on his farm and will soon have a
kiln of 100,00 ready for market, which will be sold at reasonable
Thomas SMITH came
from Ohio twenty-five years ago, one of the first settlers in the town.
Is the owner of a farm of 180 acres, all improved, with comfortable
buildings, shade trees, orchard, etc. Is erecting an ell to his house,
16 by 24. Mr. S. is making tileing for wells, etc., of water, lime and
sand, one foot in length and the same across, with 8" holes, weighing 40
pounds to the foot, which has proved durable and much sweeter and
cheaper than stone. Can be had at his farm for $.40 a foot, or Mr. Smith
will dig or drill, and furnish tiling at $1.50 per foot. The longer they
are in the water the harder they become. He has also discovered a vast
bed of mineral paint of three shades - red, yellow, and umber, which has
been thoroughly tested and is pronounced as good and lasting as any
mineral paint used. It is found some four feet fromt he surface, clean
and clear from grit and soil. Anyone wishing to paint barns or out
buildings, will do well to give Mr. Smith a call and try
this paint, as
he has plenty on hand ready for use. A son of Mr. Smith, living with
him, has invented a windmill and large scale, different from any used;
will soon have it completed, and will attach it to a feed mill.
John BARTLET has
moved from Brainard Station to a farm near Mr. H. CLEMENTS,
east part of town, owns a farm of 140 acres, on which he has lived
eleven years; has it all improved. He has just returned from Ill. with a
full-blooded Norman colt, one year old, which he bought of E. DILLON and
Company of Normal, Ill., paying $1,000 besides freight. It is iron gray,
weight 1160 pounds, well built. St. Laurant, the sire, was imported from
France in 1870 and weighed 2,000 pounds. Dam dapple gray, imported from
France in 1873 and weighed 1,750 pounds. St Laurant has taken premium at
most of the western fairs. These colts usually sell at two years old for
$2,000 each. Mr. Clements has other fine blooded stock - cattle, hogs,
We had a pleasant chat
with Mr. JOHNSON,
and his sons, at their mill. They are full of business and their mill is
in first class shape, very clean and neat. They make the straight grade
flour, which is very white.
Almer DAVIS has
built himself a cozy dwelling.
half mile north of mill, has erected a barn, 20 by 30.
A. A. THOMPSON,
west of Mr. HOLTON's,
has enlarged and rebuilt his dwelling.
H. BENJAMIN has
bought the old PERKINS farm,
and has very much improved the house.
one of the old settlers, has the frame up for dwelling 18 by 26, one and
a half stories high, with ell 16 by 20. Davis
Bros, of Johnson's Mill are doing the carpenter work.
. . . . . . . Mr. HATHAWAY's
new residence in Bethel has put in an appearance in the distance.
P. R. KETCHUM is
improving his premises with an addition of a fine new barn, with
basement, and new fence enclosing his beautiful evergreen front yard,
garden and orchard. He, with most of the farmers of our township,
improved their premises with extensive tree planting at an early date,
and now begins to enjoy the fruition of his well directed labor.
Windsor presents a most
beautiful appearance with an enclosure of trees about almost every
house, making a substantial windbreak in a surprisingly short time.
Mr. WAIT is
building an ell addition to his already comfortable farm house,
Mr. Reuben ROGERS has
sold his farm in Bethel and bought the one formerly owned by W. DESCENT,
near Mr. UTTER's,
expecting to build a house this season.
We are all aware that John HENDERSON is
quite lofty, but since the advent of that 10 pound boy, we think him
exceedingly high-handed, and 'tis no wonder, when he contemplates opening
up a farm in the homestead regions of Kansas. Boys are above par under
Bro. RICHARDSON of
Auburn circuit and A. M. STEVENS,
left on the 26th for Clear Lake, to attend the S. S. assembly, taking a
leave of absence of two weeks, as the "boys in blue" used to say,
"taking a French," to include both the Assembly and State Camp Meeting.
Many others expect to go from hereabouts, to attend one or both. Our
prayers go out for the success of the great work, but home duties and
some degree of poverty prevent our personal attendance.
Bro. Spencer DAY,
State Agent of Patrons of Husbandry of this state, came to Eden to
address an audience which through some misunderstanding did not
assemble. The Patron Helper of June 9th, plainly stated that Bro. DAY
would fill Miss GARRETSON's
appointments, and it was lamentable that an opportunity so rare should
be lost. . . . . . . . .
Local and Other Items
HAYES and WHEELER -
All the republicans of West Union township are urgently requested to
meet at the courthouse, Saturday, evening, for the purpose of organizing
a Hayes and Wheeler Club. The band will be out and several speeches are
Measles and Whooping
cough seem to be quite prevalent.
W. W. KITCHEN,
Esq., of Canada, arrived in town Tuesday evening.
Revs. RUSSELL and CASEBEER are
to exchange pulpits Sunday evening.
The infant of Mr. and Mrs. L. W. TYRRELL drew
its last breath Wednesday.
We learned that Pearley HACKETT has
sold his farm to J. B. KINGSBURY for
$35.00 per acre.
a member of the art preservative, is rusticating in this city for a few
H. C. WARNER and
of the P. P. office, made a friendly call Wednesday morning.
We notice Ed. KINYON is
home from the Anamosa penitentiary - where he holds a position.
Mr. BLAKESLY has
moved his jewelry store into the post office, making a fine display of
103 marriage licenses
have been issued by the county clerk since January 1st.
Rev. D. RUSSELL will
deliver a historical discourse appropriate to the season, next Sabbath
H. A. HOLMES expects
to have one of those clockwork churns in operation next week.
Mr. KNOLL received
a few days ago the sad intelligence of the death of his brother, at
Erie, Pa., resulting from a wound produced by the accidental discharge
of a gun.
Mr. Clarence DEARBORN,
who so long and so efficiently has served as drug clerk with S. E. ROBINSON and
Co., has gone to his home at Jaynesville, Wis. His place is filled by
Mr. C. A. KENT,
late of Mississippi.
D. W. REDFIELD,
at the Music Emporium on Vine St., has secured the agency for the Estey
organ, the old reliable instrument, and he proposes to sell a good many
of them this season.
The friends of Mr. CARR of
Bethel Township, will be pained to learn that his wife died on Sunday
last, after a very short illness, leaving a family of small children;
the baby only a week old.
having purchased Mrs. HYDE's
interest in the city restaurant, is now prepared to furnish the public
with good ice cream, confectionery of all kinds, fresh bread, pies,
cakes, etc. See adv.
Miss Nannie HINES returned
last week from her school at Evanston, Ill, intending to remain during
the summer vacation. Miss Georgia HINES is
also home from McGregor, where she has been teaching.
Misses Mary and Augusta ABERNETHY,
of Illyria, started yesterday A.M. to join their brother Alonzo, who
accompanies them in a tour through the east, including, of course, the
Pete CLARK has
recently refitted rooms in the basement of his building, and has now in
running order a first class ice cream restaurant. If you want a cooling
dish, try this place and you will surely come again. In their season,
Mr. Clark intends serving oysters.
List of Letters Remaining in the Post Office at West Union Iowa, July 1,
Unclaimed and Advertised:
Mary A. CURTIS,
L. M. GOODHUE,
John T. RITZ,
NeleySTEWARD, signed E.
N. PHILLIPS, P.M.
Mr. and Mrs. IVES of
Bethel, old settlers, and no longer useful themselves, were the happy
recipients of a 12 pound boy June 30th. Their friends congratulate them
very much, as such an event has not happened for quite awhile before.
Some years ago they honored General Grant by naming a son for him, and
the result was Grant's election to the Presidency. So now, if they will
honor Rutherford B. Hayes in the same way, he will surely be elected.
(Milo McGlathery's biography is included in the 1910 History of Fayette
County - Read)
Hon. Milo McGLATHERY died
at his residence in West Union on last Monday, after being confined to
his bed for some months, the disease which terminated his life being
consumption. Although not unexpected, yet the news of his death cast a
gloom over the entire community, such as was never witnessed before.
Judge McGlathery was born in 1834, in Lawrence County, Penn. After
receiving a liberal education he entered the law offices of L. L. McGUFFIN,
of New Castle, Penn., and afterward graduated at the Union Law College
of Ohio. Soon after, in 1856, he, like many others, turned his face
westward, and with but little of this world's good he arrived at West
Union in September 1856, and formed a law partnership with S. B. ZEIGLER.
As a lawyer he was soon recognized as one of the ablest in the District,
and his stirling character won him hosts of warm friends and admirers,
so that in 1858 he was elected District Attorney, a poisition which he
had filled with such ability and success for eight years, that he was
then elected Judge of the Tenth Judicial District, in which capacity he
served with great acceptance for eight years more, and it was the toil
and constant strain upon his energies while acting as judge that told
upon his constitution and no doubt, thus laid the foundation of the
disease which terminated fatally.
In December 1859, he
was married to Miss A. M. McMASTERS,
daughter of James McMASTERS of
this place, and he leaves surviving him his widow and two children,
Edward and Ada, and a more happy or family has ever been invaded by the
messenger of death to call away one of its number - its chief.
A few hours before his
death he called his wife and children, bidding them an affectionate
farewell and asked them, "to meet him in Heaven." Thus his death was a
fitting and glorius ending of a well spent life.
As a citizen he was
universally beloved and respected, upright in all his dealings, ever
kind and charitable to the poor. As a Judge or prosecutor, ever able,
faithful, and impartial; as a husband and father, loving, kind and
affectionate. He was buried on Wednesday by the Masonic Fraternity, more
than 100 members of the order, representing every lodge in the county,
being present to participate in the last sad rites and assist in the
solemnly beautiful ceremony. Rev. J. B. CASEBEER delivered
to a large assemblage a short but earnest and very appropriate address
at the late home of the deceased, after which the remains were conveyed
to the cemetery, followed by a sorrowing multitude.
At a meeting of West
Union Lodge No. 69, on Wed., July 5th, the following resolutions were
adopted. (Resolutions are listed in the newspaper.)
. . . . . Friday
brought to a close for the summer vacation our public schools which have
been for the past term carefully conducted by excellent teachers,
re-engaged for another, with the exception of Mr. VAN
DYKE, who place will be supplied by Mr. HUSBAND,
judiciously and well.
On Saturday Masonic rites made memorable the burial of Miss
Linda, daughter of Thomas DAVIDSON,
Esq., who, after a distressing illness of many weeks, in the
twenty-first year of her age, went home to peaceful rest, leaving in
deep affliction a family which her services had been indispensible as
the regulating power. Miss DAVIDSON was
a young lady of good education and pleasant manners, who will be kindly
remembered of many friends.
Mr. and Mrs. G. A. AUSTIN,
of Vermont, are again at the Fayette House as boarders; Mr. Austin
having still large landed interests in and around Fayette.
EARLE - LATIMER -
In West Union July 4, 1876, at the M. E. parsonage, by the Rev. J. B. CASEBEER,
Mr. J. J. EARLE and
Miss Maggie LATIMER,
all of Fayette County, Iowa. Jo and his fair bride passed the fourth in
our city, returning to their home at Albany on the fifth - a brave
soldier and a true man, Jo will prove a worthy protector to her who has
joined him in a life journey, which we hope may be long and joyous.
HAHN - KLINKER -
At the M. E. Church in West Union, Thursday evening, July 6, 1876, by
the Rev J. B. CASEBEER,
Mr. H. H. HAHN of
Pittsburg, Pa., and Miss Minerva KLINKER of
West Union. The friends of Miss Ninnie, to the number of 100 and more,
assembled at the Church to witness the ceremony that joined "two souls
with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one." Following the
wedding was a grand reception, given by Mrs. Benj. HELSERMAN, at
which that joy befitting to so happy an event prevailed abundantly. Mr.
and Mrs. HELSERMAN did
themselves credit, their niece and new nephew honor, besides making
happy a host of friends in this entertainment. May the occasion in its
fullness of joy presage a long and happy life to Mr. and Mrs. HAHN.
The newly-wedded pair start immediately for their home in Pittsburg.
Advertisement - Stray
cattle - placed by W. H. PAYNE -
Local Items, etc.
Sr. and Jr., spent the 4th in Oelwein.
H. C. BISHOP is
with us again this weekend to spend the Fourth.
Henry MILLER favored
Oelwein with his presence of the Fourth.
The JAMISON brothers
have two sisters from Auburn visiting them this wee,.
A. W. HAGER has
painted his office and improved its appearance very much.
D. G. GOODRICH and
lady and daughter attended the celebration here on the Fourth.
We shook the hand of
of Randalia, an old classmate of ours on the Fourth.
Misses Lizzie and
of West Union, spent last Sabbath in town, the guests of Mr. HOAGLAND.
Dr. PATTISON is
putting up fence and otherwise materially adding to the beauty of his
nice residence and grounds.
The north part of town
we see is keeping up with the times. Jason NICHOLS and
William BENTLEY have
painted their houses.
Mrs. HAGER returned
from the Centennial last week. She looks recuperated and reports a
splendid time during her sojourn in the City of Brotherly Love.
DYKE, late principal of the Fayette Public Schools, "guested"
with us overnight on his way to Manchester. We find him a very genial
and sociable gentlemen, just the sort for a successful teacher.
C. E. HAGER preached
last Sabbath morning in the S. B. church, from the text . . . . . . . .
Sunday evening, the 25th, as Herbert SUTHERLAND,
was returning from a ride, the horses ran away. He was thrown out and
dragged quite a distance, breaking his collar bone and was otherwise
badly bruised. He suffers a great deal with pain but is in no immediate
On Friday last, during one of the many sudden storms
we are having, the lightning struck Mr. DOUGLAS'
barn, damaging it considerably and deafening four horses. The barn is
new and today they had three lightning rods put up.
Mr. A. LINDSEY is
building a fine large barn, and our band boys went out in their new
wagon and gave them a serenade the day the barn was raised, and were
treated to all the lemonade they could drink. Our band boys go to the
thriving town of Sumner on the Fourth.
Mr. Horace HULBERT,
and Mr. STILLMAN and
family, are enjoying country life with us. They prefer our city to
Chicago, and who would not? We are pleased indeed to welcome them among
As I have before neglected
to speak of our new millinery shop, and had almost forgotten it this
time, I will add this postscript by saying Miss Dian GREY has
a nice shop of millinery goods, and is also giving good satisfaction in
the dress-making line.
/signed A. E. G