Arlington News Office, Brush Creek/Arlington Fayette Co., Iowa
  Contribute What's New

Fayette County IAGenWeb

Join Our Team


Photo Courtesy of Nancy Espersen


Oelwein Daily Register

Monday February 10, 1936

~ ~ ~ *** ~ ~ ~

The Oelwein Daily Register
Oelwein, Fayette County, Iowa
Monday, February 10, 1936
Page 5, Column 1

--Frank Kiple of Jesup visited friends in the city today.
--Wendell Clark was a business visitor in Stanley this morning.
--W.R.C. Supper M.E. Church Feb. 12, 30c-adv.
--A. W. Stewart was a business caller in Cedar Rapids, Saturday morning.
--Robert Buchanan was a business caller in Cedar Rapids, Saturday morning.
--Carl Miche, who resides north of the city is seriously ill, suffering from mumps.
--Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Betts of Fairbanks were city visitors Sunday evening.
--Andy Mahoney of Stanley spent the week end with relatives and friends in the city.
--Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Wilcox of McGregor visited friends in the city over the week end.
--Mrs. Lucille McDermott, who has been ill at Mercy Hospital was removed to her home, Saturday.
--Mrs. E. A. Clason is a patient at mercy Hospital where she will undergo an operation tomorrow.
--Miss Ivah Schortau spent Thursday in Sumner visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Schortau.
--Henry Ziegler of Westgate underwent an operation for appendicitis at Mercy Hospital Friday evening.
--Frank Sherman of Independence attended the funeral of his niece, Mrs. Ethel Hebrank, Saturday morning.
--Miss Leota Firicks and Miss Darlene Bonosky of Sumner returned to their homes in Sumner after visiting friends in the city.
--Josephine Levendusky of Fairbank is recovering at Mercy Hospital from a fractured leg. She was brought here Friday afternoon.
--Asa Freeman from Minneapolis, Minnesota arrived in the city Saturday morning to attend the funeral of his niece, Mrs. Ethel Hebrink.
--Miss jean Platskey of Chicago has spent the past few days in the city visiting at the home of her mother, Mrs. P. Platskey, who has been ill.
--Garrold Sherman of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is visiting relatives in the city. He was called home by the death of his sister, Mrs. Hebrank.
--Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schaefer returned to the city Saturday from Dubuque where they attended the funeral of Mrs. Schaefer's niece, Mrs. Martina Carroll Farni.
--Mr. and Mrs. Carl Gregory are the proud parents of a baby son born at Mercy Hospital yesterday afternoon. The baby weighed six pounds and fourteen ounces. He will be known as John Carl.
--Something no doctor ever advised. "Tire yourself out doing the family washing, and you'll always be immune from poor health and happy." Just Phone 254. CITY LAUNDERING CO. - adv.
--Friends of J. W. Reed will be sorry to learn that he is seriously ill at his home on Second Avenue Northwest. His daughters, Mrs. Cecil Price of Troy Mills, and Mrs. James Madison of Cedar Rapids have been called here by his illness. Two sisters, Mrs. Norton and Mrs. Henderson of Independence have also been called here.
George Dague, seventy eight years of age, died at his home in Fairbank about noon yesterday. The Brant funeral home is in charge of service. Mr. Dague has been a resident of Buchanan county about forty years.
Ethel Mary Sherman was born in Edgewood, Iowa, Nov. 20, 1902 and passed away at Mercy hospital, Oelwein, Ia., Feb. 4th, 1936.  She was married to Harry J. Hebrank June 9, 1920 who proceeded her in death eight years ago, having died Nov. 16, 1928 at Mercy hospital. To this union one child came to gladden the home, Eula June, 11 years, who is left to mourn the departure of the deceased. Others left are the fiancé, Victor Schima; father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. John Sherman; one sister, Mrs. Eveah Elliot; one brother, Garrold Sherman; niece, Rose Elliot; nephew, Gordon Elliot; uncle and aunts and several cousins and a large circle of friends. The funeral was held from the Sacred Heart church, Saturday morning at 10 o'clock and burial in the Woodlawn cemetery.

Column 2



John Jamison, one of the oldest pioneers of Oelwein and Fayette county, died at his home in Oelwein Sunday afternoon at five o'clock, following a long illness due to his age, he being 91 years old on the 20th of last September.

He was born in Pittsburg, Pa., September 20, 1844, and came with his parents to Fayette county in 1852. They located at Asburn where his father, James Jamison, engaged in the mercantile business for a couple of years and they then moved to a farm near West Union. John Jamison, after finishing high school at West Union and Upper Iowa University at Fayette, engaged in business for himself at Auburn in 1871, being associated with Hall Hoagland. After continuing the business there, in July 1874 they moved their stock to Oelwein and continued under the name of Hoagland & Jamison. They established the Bank of Oelwein the same year, there being no such institution here at the time. They also engaged in stock buying with John Irvine. He formed a partnership at the same time with his brother Thomas, since decreased, and they carried on this as a hardware line under the name of Jamison Brothers. The firm of Hoagland & Jamison dissolved about 1876 and Samuel Jamison entered the partnership with John and they continued this general line of merchandising until 1890.

In connection with his other business activities he aided in organizing a bank at West Union, and he was made the president of it and continued throughout until he retired from active business about five years ago. With his brother George, since deceased, they again took over the Bank of Oelwein which he had sold and was out of for a couple of years. This was in 1884. He continued at the head of this bank until retiring under the banking stress of 1931-32.

On the 8th of September, 1875, he was united to Miss Florence Hoagland a daughter of his early partner, at Auburn. Together they went through the vicissitudes of early pioneers in Oelwein. They raised their two sons, Ray B. and Fred to manhood. After filling responsible posts in the community both have since left Oelwein, Ray going to Des Moines where he is engaged in the abstract business and Fred going to California, where he is engaged in business.


Mr. Jamison has had the best care at his home on North Fredrick Avenue given by his grandson and wife, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Jamison.

Then as the shadows of life began to reach them, Mrs. Jamison died February 25, 1935. After more than fifty years of wedded life, John Jamison was left alone, and bravely has he met the various trials and tribulations. Mr. Jamison was for many years one of the trustees of Upper Iowa University along with his many other activities.

He was a staunch member of the Presbyterian church and gave liberally of his energy, time and means to make it one of the strong church organizations of the city.  Politically he was a democrat and was elected county treasurer of Fayette county against a strong normal republican majority. He was nominated by the democrats of the state as state treasurer at a time when such nominations were a mere matter of form. He always retained a keen interest in affairs of the state and of his home community. He was one of the most active of men and entered into whatever he undertook with a will to succeed. He was always kind, generous, and although he has been removed from the business activities of the community for some time,  his death will be keenly felt.

The body was taken to the Hintz funeral home to await definite funeral arrangements. Word has been received from his son Fred that he will reach Oelwein from his California home about Wednesday if train service is resumed. While no word has been received from Ray at Des Moines, where everyone is marooned by the snow, it is assumed that he will be here.


Mrs. H. W. Keniston, aged 82 years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. R. Miller, 20 Sixth Avenue NW, at 8:45 this morning, from complications due to her age. Since the death of her husband about 16 years ago she has made her home with her daughter. The body will be at the Hintz funeral home pending, definite funeral arrangements.


The body of John Thorpe, who died at Mt. Dora, Florida, and was reported in these columns last Thursday, is expected to arrive in Oelwein tomorrow, depending on train service being resumed at that time of course. The deceased was born in Oelwein 37 years ago but has not lived here for the past 18 years. He is a nephew of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Munger of Oelwein and a brother of Mrs. Alvin Connor, formerly of Oelwein but now of Hamburg, Iowa. The funeral services will be held at Woodlawn cemetery as soon as the body arrives in charge of the Hintz funeral home. His parents are both buried here.


Column 3


Mrs. Pearl Schneider is making one last request to people who still are holding their Christmas Seal letters. Please see that they are returned to her or to the box at the Gas Office, within the next few days. The final report of the chairman is due by the 15th of this month and there are still more than two hundred letters unaccounted for.

You are under no obligation to make explanations about why you didn't return them sooner but please attach your name and drop them at the Gas Office in order to help get the matter cleared up satisfactorily.



You may not have received your Sunday paper yesterday, but sometime during the day your milkman finally got through. Local dairies reported that their supplies of milk were delivered from the country with the use of bob sleds, and their own delivery conveyances were able to supply all customers during the day.

Attendance at church services was extremely sparse. All Catholic services were held, as were those in the Baptist church. Lutheran and Presbyterian congregations were notified that there would be no Sunday school or church. At the Methodist and Christian churches brief serves were held in basement rooms for those who came despite the low temperature and deep snow-drifts. A beer truck with a cargo weighing thirteen tons was stuck in a snow-bank between here and Maynard, and with the aid of three trucks and a wreckerfrom the Chevrolet garage, it was finally moved, and a day and a half.

Father White of the local Sacred Heart church, and Father Holman, of the  Catholic church at Hazelton, were forced to remain twenty-four hours at the Will Hall farm after they were stalled north of Oelwein while returning from Maynard late Saturday afternoon. The hearse, bearing the body of Father Bacci, was also stalled on Number 11, Saturday night, and it was not until the snow plow came through yesterday, that the twenty eight cars marooned between here and Maynard, were able to proceed.

By putting on extra trucks, coal companies reported that unusually heavy orders were all delivered Saturday night. In most cases the business houses remained open for only a short time in the evening, while some of them closed at six o'clock.

The body of Robert Stewart, who died Friday night, remained at the A. W. Stewart home in the country, today. The undertakers, who made a trip out to the farm by bob-sled, Friday night, were unable to return. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

The C.G.W. ran no trains yesterday, most of their snow plows being stuck at various points along the system. No service is promised before tomorrow at the earliest. Newspapers from Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Des Moines and Chicago were not delivered in Oelwein until this morning. Chicago papers came in by star route, having been sent on the Illinois Central as far as Independence. About 200 students from Junior and Senior High schools are absent. The majority of the absent one are country pupils unable to reach town. Three teachers are marooned out of the city, having spent the weekend away from here. Sue Schmidt and Lillian Chivington, who went to Iowa City Friday night, are still there today. Inez Johnson, music supervisor drove to Jefferson, near Des Moines, Friday night and has been unable to get back. Miss Nelle Greene, principal of Harlan school, who spent the weekend in West Union managed to get into Oelwein about nine o'clock this morning. Grade school report most pupils present, with the exception of those absent from illness.


Funeral services for the late Father J. V. Bacci, were held this morning at the Sacred Heart church with Archbishop Beckman of Dubuque as celebrant. Very Rev. Fr. Martin, of Waterloo acted as assistant priest. Deacon, Fr. Holman of Hazelton: sub-deacon, Putz, of Sacred Heart, Waterloo and second assistant deacon was Father Torphey of Fairbank. Father Doherty preached the funeral sermon. Father Ed Cooney of St. Joseph's, Waterloo acted as master of ceremonies. Visiting priests who attended the services this morning were: Fr. Burns, Winthrop. Fr. McKinley, Manchester; Fr. Wm. Rowan, Editor of the Witness, of Columbia College, Dubuque; and Fr. Toomey, of West Union. Burial in Woodlawn cemetery will take place tomorrow morning after a private mass which will be at nine o'clock.


Adjourned sine die means adjourned indefinitely, no date for continuation having been fixed.


back to Fayette Home