Join Our Team
This page was last
updated on 12/26/2011
Fayette County, Iowa
Past and Present of Fayette County Iowa, 1910
Author: G. Blessin
B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana
Vol. I, Biographical Sketches
Henry R. Martin
"The subject of this sketch, who is in a prominent way identified with varied business interests in the thriving city of Oelwein, Fayette county, is a lifelong resident of the county and enjoys a wide and favorable acquaintance. He is known as a man of marked business and executive ability and also possesses personal qualities which commend him to the favor of all who know him. He has been closely identified with the progress and upbuilding of Oelwein and is rightfully numbered among her representative business men.
Mr. Martin was born in Jefferson township, this county, in 1867, and is a son of Charles M. and Amanda (O'Neel) Martin. The father was a native of the state of Tennessee and came to Iowa in about 1856, locating first in Bremer county. He was a Baptist minister and enjoyed to a great degree the respect and esteem of all who knew him. In 1865 he came to Fayette county and located on a tract of land which is now embraced in the northwest part of Oelwein. He bought two hundred acres, one hundred and fifty-five of which was embraced in that section bordered on the east by Charles street and on the south by Frederick street, the remainder of the land lying south of the latter street. His death occurred in 1876. The subject's mother was the daughter of Ruel and Mary (Rairdon) O'Neel.
Henry R. Martin was reared under the parental roof and was early inured to farm life. He received a fair education in the public schools, and after the completion of his education he remained for a time on the home farm. He then engaged in the real estate business in Oelwein, in which he met with very gratifying success and was soon recognized as a hustling and successful man of marked business acumen and sound judgment. During Grover Cleveland's second presidential administration Mr. Martin served as postmaster at Oelwein, giving a very satisfactory administration. Upon the organization of the Aetna State Bank he became a stock holder and member of the board of directors, and in 1898 he accepted the position of cashier of the bank, in which position he is still serving. In this position he has necessarily much to do with the conduct of the bank's affairs and his continuous retention in the office is evidence of the absolute confidence which the directors have in his integrity and ability. The bank is numbered among the strong and reliable financial institutions of Fayette county and has been an important factor in the business development of the community. Mr. Martin is also a member of the firm oar Kent & Martin, lumber dealers. This firm purchased the two yards formerly owned by George W. Jamison and the Citizen's Lumber Company and they now enjoy the largest business in their line in the county, it being recognized as one of the most important industries of the city.
In 1889 Mr. Martin was united in marriage to Etta B. Shaw, who was born near West Union, this county, the daughter of Abram and Matilda (Long) Shaw. Religiously, Mr. Martin is a member of the Presbyterian church at Oelwein, to which he gives an earnest and liberal support. In every avenue of activity in which he has engaged he has performed well his part associated with him. Of frank and earnest manner in his dealings with others, he at once inspires confidence,--a confidence which is never violated on his part, and he has many warm and loyal friends."
~transcribed for the Fayette Co IAGenWeb Project by Richard Smith
back to Fayette Home