IAGenWeb Join Our Team

This page was last

updated on


Fayette County, Iowa  

 History Directory

Past and Present of Fayette County Iowa, 1910

Author: G. Blessin


B. F. Bowen & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana


Vol. I, Biographical Sketches



~Page 1032~


Louis F. Meisgeier


"One would indeed be unappreciative if, upon passing the well improved and well kept farmstead of Louis F. Meisgeier, in Fairfield township, Fayette county, one should fail to be filled with admiration, for it has been the special care of its owner so long that it ranks with the best and most attractive farms in the community, and, consequently, something of the life work of such a man would be of interest to others. Mr. Meisgeier was born December 5, 1869, in this county, the son of Carl and Catherine (Huepsch) Meisgeier , both natives of Germany, who came to America when about twelve years of age. They went to school in Germany, but were married in this country. In 1855 they came to Fayette county, Iowa, settling on a farm which the father made his home for the long period of fifty-four years, during which time he became widely known as an excellent agriculturist and stock man, especially as a breeder of Hereford cattle. He recently sold his homestead to his youngest daughter, Mrs. Krumpel, and he has erected a modern residence, good barn and other buildings on an eighty-acre farm which he owned in section 15, Fairfield township, and there he will make his future home.


His first wife died on December 19, 1908, and he was married subsequently to Mrs. Louise Hetzel. He is a member of the Lutheran church. His family consisted of seven children, all of whom are living, namely: John H.; Mary C., now Mrs. G. Martin; Louis F.; Emma M., now Mrs. George Eckhart; Caroline M., now Mrs. C. Andrews; Alma M., now Mrs. Fred Robbins; Johanna C., now Mrs. H. Krumpel. Louis F. Meisgeier spent his early life on the home farm and assisted with the work about the place, attending the common schools in the winter months. On June 3, 1896, he led to the marriage altar Annie F. Martin, who was born May 13, 1875, the daughter of John and Margaret Martin, natives of Bavaria, Germany, who came to America in 1854 and located in St. Louis. They married after coming here, on May 12, 1855, and the following year came to Fayette county, Iowa. Mr. Martin was a carpenter and cabinetmaker by trade, and this he followed in connection with farming, having purchased a place upon coming to this county. His death occurred here on January 19, 1908; his widow, who survives and makes her home with her daughters, is now seventy-four years old. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom Mrs. Meisgeier is the youngest. Her parents were always members of the Lutheran church.


Mr. and Mrs. Meisgeier began their married life near Taylorsville, his farm at first consisting of fifty acres, but he soon began to prosper and lay by enough to add thirty-one acres more. A few years later he sold this place and purchased his present splendid farm of one hundred and twenty acres and he has lived here ever since, having devoted his attention exclusively to general farming and stock raising. He keeps a good grade of stock and feeds for the market. Everyone is of the opinion that his is one of the choice farms of Fairfield township. He has made a success by diligence, close application and honorable dealing with his fellow men; he is progressive, generous, neighborly and makes friends easily. For the past eight years he has been secretary of the school board, of which he is an interested and active member. Politically, he is a Republican and takes more than a passing interest in the campaigns. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Meisgeier, namely: Rupert, born April 14, 1898; Donald, born October 7, 1901; and Arneldo, born December 12, 1903. They attend school at Taylorsville. Mrs. Meisgeier’s parents resided in Windsor township and were farmers. Her father was a soldier in the Bavarian army. He and his wife were among the founders of the Lutheran church in Windsor township, a fact in which the whole family takes great pride. September 5, 1910, was the fiftieth anniversary of the church. Mrs. Martin and one other lady and an old gentleman were the only charter members yet alive. It was a day of great rejoicing for these venerable people, as, surrounded by their children, they were permitted to attend this jubilee.



~transcribed for the Fayette Co IAGenWeb Project by Nancy Schroder


back to Fayette Home