Fayette County IAGenWeb  

Join Our Team




History of Fayette County, Iowa,

A history of the County, its Cities, Towns Etc.

Page 507

Westfield Township

Westfield & Fayette

"The town of Westfield, in the northeast quarter of Section 29, Town 93, Range 8, was laid out by Robert Alexander, and the plat filed for record July 18, 1851.


The town of Fayette, in the northwest quarter of Section 28, Town 93, Range 8, was laid out by Samuel H. Robertson in January, 1855.

The first birth to record where Fayette is now situated was that of Florence, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James E. Robertson, which transpired October 25, 1850.


Westfield is the elder brother of Fayette, not only in age, but in business. Robert Alexander began the erection of a saw-mill here in 1850, and, in the following year, the plat was laid out and recorded. The village grew rapidly during 1852 and 1853.


The next year, Sutton & Axtell built and started a store at Westfield, and, in 1855, Isaac Templeton and his son, Leroy, started a flouring-mill.  It was not till the following year that anything was done at Fayette. In that year, Maxon & Griffith and Budlong & Norton opened stores. It was during this year that a tremendous advantage was given to Fayette by the commencement of work on Fayette Seminary, the walls of which were laid to the top of the first story before Winter set in. During the same year, the "Stock" (now Fayette) House was begun by the Volgar Hotel Stock Company, H. Budlong, Secretary. This corporation had a nominal capital of $4,000.


A well-nigh tragic accident occurred at the Seminary building in the Fall of 1856. Charles West and his brother, Stephen, were engaged on the carpenter work of the building, and were standing on a scaffold on a level with the cornice, which gave way. Charles caught on the staging, lower down, which also gave way with him, and he fell heavily to the ground. He was picked up senseless, with two ribs broken. Stephen caught with one arm on the cornice and was pulled up by James Persey to a safe footing on the wall.


June 10, 1857, the difference between the Volga Hotel Stock Company and Alfred Lasher was arbitrated by William Bonine, B. B. Allen and Thomas Harper, who awarded $200 to Lasher.


In June, 1858, Joshua Young Bragdon was drowned in the Volga River, at the dam of Hathorn's mill, which was then in process of construction a mile or two below Fayette. He and Charles Clark were trying, with a small boat, to take a saw-log over the partly constructed dam in order to convey it to Marvin's mill below. The water being high and very rapid, the boat was capsized, and Bragdon, though an expert swimmer, lost his life. A few persons were inclined to blame Clark, believing that he either purposely or wantonly allowed him to perish when he might have rescued him. But Clark demanded a Coroner's inquest, which exonerated him, the body being found a day or two afterward. Bragdon was a single man, and had recently come from the town of Wiscassett, in the State of Maine, where he had an excellent reputation. During his life, he had expressed a desire, in case of sudden death, to be buried by the Masons, of which order he and some of his relatives were active members. There being then no lodge at Fayette, the few Masons residing there referred his request to the Lodge at West Union, which, though also small in numbers, turned out with all their force, John Ogsbury being Master of Ceremonies, and interred the body, with all the rites of that Order, in the cemetery at Fayette.


That there was a bowling Alley in Fayette in January, 1859, kept by Thomas J. Vennum, is of record, for he was charged with allowing gambling for money on his premises, and the evidence on the examination tending to establish the charge, he was committed to jail at Elkader, having declined to furnish the moderate bail of $40.


August 13, 1861, E. C. Howe brought action before Justice W. B. Lakin against E. R. W. Emmons, claiming $7.30 "as plaintiff's proportion of the amount of gold dust deposited with defendant by J. F. Hayward, joint owner with plaintiff." The action was not sustained, and the costs were taxed to plaintiff. Howe then sued Haywood (sic) directly, claiming $2.92 for plaintiff's share of gold dust, "obtained at Pike's Peak, and deposited by defendant with E. R. W. Emmons." Defendant did not appear, but subsequently paid the judgment and thirty-five cents toward the costs.


August 8, 1862, the house occupied by Horace and Mary King was set on fire, and an infant child of the Kings was smothered to death in the flames. Foster Mitchell held the inquest over the remains, the jurors being H. B. Budlong, James E. Robertson and William Burch. The witnesses examined were Stephen Luse, Rosetta Luse, E. Adams, Eliza Kent, Horace King, Catherine Parker, Samuel Luse and James Bolster.

The first newspaper published at Fayette was established in theWinter of 1866-7.


The death of Mrs. Polly Waterbury occurred July 22, 1867, at the age of 80 years.


A shocking suicide occurred at Fayette Oct. 2, 1870. A young student named James A Doremus was found early in the morning sitting at a table in the students' hall of Lambs' Hotel, leaning forward, with his head turned over toward his left arm, quite dead. A revolver on the table before him revealed the whole story. Doremus had fallen into wild courses and had spent his money faster than his mother thought was proper. Some young women had encouraged him in his prodigal habits, and when his resources were exhausted they cast him off. A letter was found, addressed to his mother, in which he upbraided her for not letting him have more money. Doremus had been a student in the University, and was at this time studying bookkeeping under Prof. Hurd. An inquest was begun by A. W. Callender, J. P., who transferred the case to Coroner Armstrong, of West Union. The jurors were H. M. Burch, J. E. Aldrich and John Webb. A singular circumstance in connection, is the fact that both Prof. Hurd and Mr. Lamb passed through the room where Doremus sat dead, and did not notice him while going to their rooms.


The death of Lafayette Harris occurred Dec. 27, 1870, by a fall of dirt from the embankment on the railway grade, about one and a half miles south of Fayette.


The second great epoch in the history of Fayette was the arrival of the first railway train Sept. 16, 1873, an event long-hoped-for and long-deferred. The completion of the Davenport & St. Paul Road to this place has done much to stimulate the growth of the town ever since, which being the temporary terminus, Fayette thereby derives an additional advantage.


The death of David Waterbury occurred March 15th, 1875, at the ripe age of 91. He had been a resident of Fayette for eighteen years.

April 1, 1877, occurred the death of Elizabeth, widow of Robert Alexander, at the ripe age of 80 years, 3 months, and 26 days. Mrs. Alexander, whose maiden name was Criste, was born in Dearborn County, Indiana. She was married April 25, 1816, and in 1849, removed with her husband to Fayette County. The need of educating her daughters suggested to her the feasibility of establishing a school at Fayette, which she had seen grow up to a town of some importance, and at her suggestion the effort for the purpose was made, which was in due time crowned with complete success. Mrs. Alexander was the mother of three sons and seven daughters. Her illness was of brief duration, lasting but eight days. The last winter of her life was spent in active Christian labors, and of her it may be said she was truly a mother in Israel.


Political Record


The first meeting of the Town Council of Fayette was held April 21, 1874. Present: Charles Hoyt, Mayor; C. W. Sperry, Recorder; Trustees, R. Gaynor, E. R. Emmons, A. Fussell, E. Gregory and G. F. Lyman. Messrs. Hoyt, Sperry and Fussell were appointed a committee to draft rules of order and ordinances.


April 30th, H. Barnes was appointed Marshal; E. C. Howe, Street Commissioner, and C. W. Sperry, Treasurer. May 4th, rules of order were adopted, and at this meeting a petition from many ladies of the town was presented, asking the Council not to grant any saloon licenses, accompanied by an oral address from Miss Mills, which was responded to by the Mayor. May 13th, the Council provided for borrowing money. May 20th, H. Barnes was authorized to construct a pound. Jund 2d, an ordinance licensing the sale of ale, wine and beer was passed, Messrs. Fussell, Gaynor, Gregory and Sperry voting for the measure, and Messrs. Emmons, Hoyt and Lyman against it. June 7th, petitions for the construction of sidewalks on Main and King streets were presented, which was ordered to be done; but this action was modified June 27th. October 6th, a resolution was adopted to let all sidewalks, not constructed within thirty days thereafter, to be let to the lowest bidder. October 26th, a tax was levied of eight mills on the dollar. Nov. 10th, H. Barnes resigned the office of Marshal, and Harrison Allyn was appointed to fill the vacancy. J. H. Lakin was appointed Assessor.


In March, 1875, the Council elected was; Charles Hoyt, Mayor; Charles Sperry, Recorder, and the Trustees were J. E. Robertson, C. E. Hulbert, R. Hunt, G. F. Lyman, and W. A. Hoyt. William Burch was Street Commissioner, and O. Crissy, Marshal.


August 4th, a tax of seven mills was levied for general purposes. February 5, 1876, H. W. Waterbury was appointed Assessor. February 29, resolved to bring action against owners of lots, along which sidewalks had been built, for the cost of construction.


At the election in March, H. S. Brunson was chosen Mayor; J. H. Boyce, Recorder; J. E. Robertson, M. Montgomery, P. B. Whitney, Thomas Hunt and W. A. Hoyt, Trustees. J. E. Budd was appointed Marshal, and William Burch, Street Commissioner.


May 23d, the Council resolved to employ counsel to defend the town in the litigation then pending to dissolve the incorporation. Oct. 4th, a general tax of five mills on the dollar was levied.


The Council, elected in March, 1877, was composed of H. S. Brunson, Mayor; Charles A. Lyman, Recorder, and J. E. Robertson, P. B. Whitney, William Burch, R. Hunt, and A. N. Goodrich, Trustees. G. P. Scobey was chosen Treasurer; William Stanley, Marshal, and Warner Aylsworth, Street Commissioner.


July 28th, the Marshal was instructed to patrol the streets at night till further orders, tramps being numerous. September 4th, a three-mill tax for general purposes was levied.


At the election in March, 1878, D. E. Fussell was chosen Mayor; N. Anderson, Recorder; G. F. Lyman, R. Hunt, A. N. Goodrich, J. E. Budd and P. B. Whitney, Trustees. John Wear was appointed Marshal.


Public Schools


Among those who have been teachers in the Fayette public schools since 1862 are recorded the names of Miss C. E. Robertson, Alcinie Boardman, Miss M. E. Babcock, S. M. Doud, Miss C. Alexander, N. S. Harwood, S. H. Drake, Jane A. Cole, Mary Griffith, Louisa Eaton, L. C. Clark, Mrs. N. D. Hulbert, Eliza Willsie, Miss Gibbs, Miss L. Strayer, William McNeil, Ella Redpath, Kate Wilcox, B. W. Lacy, C. W. Clark, J. C. Magee, Lucretia Brunson, L. M. Butler, George Gregory, J. W. Callender, Miss S. S. Rafter, Maxey Patterson, D. L. Bugbee, Sarah E. Preston, Nellie Aldrich, Lucretia Parsons, W. H. Miller, Emma S. Potter, M. J. Goodrich, Mattie E. Boyce, Nettie Barnard, Miss Palmer.


The school building was begun in 1866 and completed the following year, at a cost of about $4,000.


The Board in 1876 were Allen Holmes, President; Amos Matthews, C. E. Hurlbert, W. A. Hoyt, Daniel Davis and J. E. Budd. Mr. Kropfler and Misses Rice, Appelman and Woodard were teachers during the school year 1876-7.


At the election in March, 1877, Allen Holmes and Thomas Fowells were elected Directors. On the same day, a five-mill tax was levied for school house purposes, which was expended, during the following Summer, in repairing the building thoroughly, putting in new seats and fencing the grounds, the cost of the improvements being about $1,000. The teachers for the school year 1877-8 are Mr. Kropfler and Misses Rice, Woodard, Scobey and Holmes.


At the election in March, 1878, J. E. Budd and D. Schoonmaker were chosen Directors. W. F. Boyce is Secretary, a position he has held for two years.




Methodist Episcopal Church - The first sermon preached by a Methodist Episcopal minister in the vicinity of Fayette was on the 9th of January, 1850, by Rev. John Hindman, who was in charge of the Otter Creek Mission, at the old Wilcox house, then occupied by James E. Robertson. The evening he preached, he organized a class, composed of James E. Robertson, Jane Robertson, Elizabeth Desire and Hannah Alexander, with Mr. Robertson as Leader. The class met regularly each Sabbath thereafter for prayers and Scripture reading, and Rev. Mr. Hindman came every fourth Friday to preach. At his second visit, Mrs. Phebe Messenger joined the class on probation. The following April, Mr. Robertson moved to where Fayette is now located, and in the following Fall, Rev. William Greenup succeeded as their Pastor. It may be stated here that Rev. John Bowman was succeeded as Presiding Elder of the Dubuque Conference, at the same time, by Rev. H. W. Reed.

In the Fall of 1851, the name of Otter Creek Mission was changed to Turkey River Circuit, and Rev. Mr. Greenup was continued. The same Fall, S. H. and Sabra Robertson and Cyrus E. and Rhoda Price joined the little class on the "Mullican bottom." Mrs. Messenger removed to Quasqueton Circuit in the Spring of 1852; and, about the same time, the place of holding meetings was changed to the school house near by. That Fall, Rev. J. Cameron began to preach to the little band, whose numbers had increased in June by the accession of N. N. and Diana Sykes, Mary J. Walker and F. M. Robertson. The Circuit was re-christened West Union Circuit in 1853, and Rev. Isaac Newton took charge. Mr. and Mrs. Price transferred their membership to Lima, but their place was soon supplied by Mr. and Mrs. Demott. In the Spring of 1854, Jesse and Ann Bogue, Benjamin N. Johnson and E. Hartsough joined, and in August, Eliza Churchill and John and Eliza Knight enrolled themselves.


In the fall of 1854, the Upper Iowa District was formed, and Rev. H. S. Brunson appointed Presiding Elder. Rev. L. S. Ashbaugh was assigned to West Union Circuit. In November, Abigail Hiller and Charles B. Reed placed their names on the class-roll, and Nathan Boyce in December. In the Spring of 1855, the accessions were J. A., Sarah and Levi L. Griffith, Sarah Cummins, J. H. and Clarinda Maxon, Moses, Martha and Mary A. Davis, William Miller, John and Jane Spatcher, E. A. Hall and M. C. Hollock. July 1st, following, Mary and Fidelia Griffith, Malcena Maxon, Henry S. Plumb, John B. and Mary Wilson increased the list. Benjamin Johnson and Sykeses withdrew, leaving the class numbering 37. In the Fall, Rev. J. M. Rankin rode the circuit, H. S. Brunson, P. E. Cortez, Sylvia and J. L. Paine, William and Elizabeth Benge, Samuel and Rebecca Hughes and Dr. and Mrs. Parker joined; the Knights and C. B. Reed withdrew without certificates, but Sarah Cummins withdrew, taking her letter. Moses Davis was the first death occurring in the infant church. In 1856, 38 person joined, and 1, William Miller, withdrew. This year, Fayette Circuit was established, with Rev. David Poor, Rev. S. H. Halbert and others as supply.

About January 1, 1857, the meetings, which had become weekly long since, were transferred to the chapel of the Seminary building. Soon after, a great revival took place, and among the converts were Robert Alexander, C. E. Hulbert and wife, J. B. Persey, A. Fussell, D. G. Parsons and many others, swelling the society to over one hundred. The following Autumn, Rev. James Watts became Pastor of the circuit, and the membership at Fayette became reduced by the formation of new societies.


About the close of the year 1857, a house and lot were purchased for a parsonage, and church Trustees were chosen, who gave their individual notes for the property. When the paper fell due, the Trustees were compelled to pay for the property, which caused serious difficulty and the loss of the property to the society.


Fayette was made a station in 1858, supplied by Rev. A. B. Kendig, who was followed by S. A. Lee, J. Webb, S. M. Bronson and P. E. Brown - the latter in 1865-6. During his pastorate another parsonage was bought, at a cost of $800, and two lots for a church edifice, costing $325. Rev. James Anderson was the next Pastor, under whose ministrations another great revival took place, conducted by Rev. C. N. Stowers. Numerous accessions were also secured, in 1868, by D. N. Holmes, Pastor. Among those who have succeeded have been Rev. Messrs. Brocksome, S. W. Ingham and R. W. Perbles, who is now in charge.


The church edifice was begun in the Spring of 1876. The Building Committee were H. S. Brunson, Robert Gaynor, Adam Fussell, J. B. Sperry, J. E. Robertson and A. Winston. It was dedicated January 7, 1877, Rev. B. F. Ives, of New York State, preaching the dedicatory sermon. The cost, including furnace and bell, was about $7,800. The present membership of the church is about 220. The Trustees are H. S. Brunson, J. E. Boyce, Robert Gaynor, Adam Fussell, J. B. Sperry, J. E. Robertson, Z. D. Scobey, E. B. Chamberlain and C. E. Hulbert.

A. Fussell is Superintendent of the Sabbath school; T. B. Hunt, Assistant; John Winston, Librarian; D. M. Parker, Secretary and Treasurer. The usual number of pupils is about 175. There are 300 volumes in the library.


Ladies' Working Band- Mrs. C. C. Parker, President; Mrs. Robert Gaynor, Treasurer.


Ladies' Foreign Mission Society - Mrs. Sarah E. Duncan, President; Mrs. Keasey, Secretary; Mrs. Z. D. Scobey, Treasurer.


First Congregational Church. - This Society was organized December 1, 1855, two and a half miles southwest of Fayette, in the house then occupied by N. N. Sykes, now used as a wood-house by Mr. J. B. Rogers. At this meeting were present N. N. and Diana Sykes, Mrs. Lucina Currier; B. N. Johnson and O. S. Campbell. There were attending, to organize the church, Rev. S. D. Helms, Rev. J. Lampson and Rev. Mr. Ramsey, the latter a missionary among the Cherokee and Choctaw Indians. Rev. S. D. Helms ministered to the infant church for about one year, followed by Rev. S. Abbott, Rev. T. N. Skinner and Rev. J. J. Hill, the latter beginning his labors Nov. 1, 1864, and continuing two years. In 1858, a considerable awakening was felt in the community, and the membership was largely increased. The meetings were held at the houses of various members until 1859, when the meetings began to be held permanently at Fayette. Charles Hoyt was chosen as the first Clerk, and B. N. Johnson was the first Deacon, but the date of their election cannot be ascertained. The succession of ministers after Rev. Mr. Hill includes the names of Rev. T. J. Closson, Rev. W. S. Potwin, Rev. E. C. Moulton and Rev. William Leavett, who is now in charge.


Dec. 25, 1865, T. N. Skinner exhibited charges against his Pastor, Rev. J. J. Hill, but they were not sustained by the other members, who declared themselves to be fully satisfied with Rev. Mr. Hill's explanation.


April 21, 1866, the society passed a resolution of thanks to the Ladies' Benevolent Society, of New London, Conn., for a new and valuable set of communion service.


The first move toward building a church was made on Saturday, July 14th, 1866, when B. N. Johnson and Charles Hoyt were chosen a committee to see if they could purchase Lots 13 and 14 in Block 3, as a site for a chu;rch edifice, at a cost not exceeding one hundred dollars.


May 22, 1869, articles of incorporation were adopted, and Charles Hoyt, H. W. Waterbury and F. M. Aylsworth were elected Trustees. The paper was signed by A. F. Stilwell, A. M. Currier, S. E. Waterbury, D. L. Bugbee, H. W. Waterbury, B. Stewart, A. E. Metzger and F. M. Aylsworth. At this meeting, $740 was pledged for the purpose of building a church.


June 5th, it is recorded, "Show for church building gloomy," but on the 20th, the committee reported that they had purchased Lot 3, Block 23, and in view of the amount so far pledged, and what might be reasonably expected, it was safe to begin work immediately. The report was adopted by a unanimous rising vote. The matter was then referred to a building committee composed of C. Hoyt, H. W. Waterbury and F. M. Aylsworth. July 10th, the plan of the church was modified by the vote to have it built 30x50 feet.


It is stated that the project stalled for several months. H. W. Waterbury received quite a little sum in contributions from traveling salesmen, which was a considerable help. During the period occupied by the erection of the church, the places of meeting were shifted from school house to school house, but on the 8th of October, 1871, the church building was dedicated, the offering sermon being preached by Rev. J. Guernsey. The edifice cost $2,150, the society having received aid to the amount of $400. The bell was the donation of Dexter A. Knowlton of Freeport, Ill.


The present Trustees of the church are H. W. Waterbury, W. A. Hoyt, G. F. Lyman. The Deacons are B. N. Johnson and F. M. Aylsworth. Their membership is about seventy.


C. A. Lyman is Superintendent of the Sabbath School; S. E. Waterbury, Assistant; Horton Fussell, Librarian.


Mrs. Leavett is President of the Ladies' Aid Society; Mrs. A. E. Winrott, Secretary; Mrs. Schoonmaker, Treasurer. This Society deserves very great credit for the assistance rendered in finishing and furnishing the church.


St. Paul's Church - The Episcopal society at Fayette was organized at the residence of Rev. J. Rambo on the 9th of April 1864, at which time articles of association were adopted, and the society fully incorporated. The Vestrymen chosen were Samuel Crawford, C. W. Lorode, Thomas Fowells, D. Alexander, D. Vines, I. W. Comstock and Foster Mitchell. Messrs. Crawford and Fowells were chosen Wardens, and D. Alexander, Secretary. The other incorporators were R. Gaynor, B. Rambold, E. Hayward, Jr., and Fleming Jones. The project of building a church had been decided upon, for Messrs. Crawford and Fowells were appointed a committee to solicit funds for the purpose. June 26th, Messrs. Vines, Rector and Alexander were chosen a building committee. Oct. 22d, thanks were tendered to the ladies, who had raised $61 by a festival, and placed the amount at the disposal of the church. The construction of the church was begun. The society made no progress for four years, for, Oct. 19, 1868, D. Vines, Wm. Morris and John S. Cook were appointed as building committee. Rev. J. Allen was ministering over the parish, and he was requested to continue his services, the society agreeing to support him to the best of their ability. April 25, 1870, another building committee, composed of D. Vines, D. Alexander and George Burden, were chosen. April 17, 1876, Daniel Davis and J. J. Caward were elected delegates to the Diocesan Convention, to be held at Des Moines, in May. June 8, 1877, A. N. Goodrich, D. Vines and Daniel Davis were elected building committee, to remain until the work should be done.


It is designed to complete the church during the present year, the building now enclosed and the stained glass ready to be put in. The cost will be not far from one thousand dollars. The size of the building is 24x40 feet. The society has a bell, presented some years ago by Jay Cooke.

The present Vestry are D. Vines, Daniel Davis, Joseph Grannis, A. N. Goodrich, E. A. Lichenstein, T. Fowells and D. Alexander.

Rev. S. E. Gaynor, of Davenport, holds occasional services.


Mrs. Dr. Alexander is President of the Ladies' Aid Society; Mrs. Home, Vice President; Mrs. Mott, Secretary and Treasurer.


Catholic Church - Services according to the ritual of the Catholic Church are held at Duncan's Hall every fourth Sabbath, by Father Sullivan, of Clermont. The society was organized about eighteen years ago, by Rev. Mr. O'Byrne, of Elkader, who used to hold services once in two months. For a year or two before that time, priests, when passing through Fayette, would gather the Catholic believers for worship. Since its organization, those who have preached to the congregation have been Fathers Nagle, Smith, O'Carl and Quigley. The society owns two lots in Westfield, purchased years ago, with the intention of building thereon, but a different locality is now being considered. The membership includes twenty-five families.


Pleiades Lodge, No. 248, A., F. & A. M. - This Lodge was organized U. D. June 2, 1869, with ten members, as follows: Thomas Fowells, W. M.; Wm. Morris, S. W.; M. C. Sperry, J. W. The other members were John Rhoades, Samuel Hendrickson, J. W. Hawn, Hiram Brooks, William Brooks, William Brush and J. L. White.


The Lodge was chartered in June, 1870, constituted by William Cowle, of West Union, acting as D. G. M., and the officers chosen for the year 1870-71 were: Thomas Fowells, W. M.; Wm. Morris, S. W.; M. C. Sperry, J. W.; John Rhoades, Treasurer; John Sanburn, Secretary; S. Hendrickson, S. D.; Finley Smith, J. D.; James P. Percy and James L. Grannis, Stewards; Robert Patterson, Tiler.


Thirty additions were made during the first year. The whole number who have belonged to the Lodge is ninety, and the present membership is fifty-four.


The officers for 1878-9 are: James P. Percy, W. M.; John D. Dooley, S. W.; Joseph L. Grannis, J. W.; John Rhoades, Treasurer; George W. Parsons, Secretary; Wm. L. Phelps, S. D.; James L. Marvin, J. D.; George Robertson and Elijah Gregory, Stewards; D. Vines, Chaplain; Erastus Hammond, Tiler.


The deaths have been: William Brooks, in 1870, and Henry Burch, in 1873.

Lodge meets Saturday evenings, on or before the full moon. Hall over Bank of Fayette.


Ansel Humphreys Chapter, No. 80, R. A. M., was instituted in 1875, chartered October 4, 1876, and constituted November 1st, by A. W. Daugherty, Deputy G. H. P. The first officers under the charter were: D. A. P. Burgess, M. E. H. P.; Samuel Hendrickson, E. K.; A. N. Goodrich, E. S.; Daniel Davis, Treasurer; Geo. W. Parsons, Secretary; A. W. Crans, C. H.; Thomas Fowells, P. S.; W. C. Sanford, R. A. C.; Geo. Comstock, G. M. 3d V.; John Rhoades, G. M. 2d V.; E. Gregory, G. M. 1st V.; R. Patterson, Sent.


The present officers are: J. S. Anderson, M. E. H. P.; D. A. P. Burgess, E. K.; S. Hendrickson, E. S.; Daniel Davis, Treasurer; George W. Parsons, Secretary; Thomas Fowells, C. H.; A. N. C. Goodrich, P. S.; W. Sanford, R. A. C.; Geo. Comstock. G. M. 3d V.; John Rhoades, G. M. 2d V.; E. Gregory, G. M. 1st V.; R. Patterson, Sent. The Chapter meets on the first Wednesday evening of each month.


A. O. OF U. W.


Fayette Lodge, No. 80, was instituted August 7, 1876, by W. H. Burford, D. G. M., assisted by several members of the order from West Union. The following were elected and installed as officers: John S. Anderson, P. M. W.; Ezra C. Moulton, M. W.; Thomas Fowell, G. F.; Scott E. Waterbury, O.; William A. Hoyt, Recorder; James J. Caward, Financier; William C. Sanford, Receiver; Charles A. Lyman, Guide; Charles W. Sperry, I. W.; Henry A. Everts, O. W. Members: Adolphus W. Crans, George L. Helms, Alex. Minston, Richard Minston, William A. Roa.


The officers now are: A. Winston, M. W.; George Robertson, G. F.; W. A. Hoyt, O.; A. E. Winrott, Rec.; C. W. Sperry, Fin.; C. A. Lyman, Rec.; A. C. Hamilton, I. W.; J. J. Coward, O. W. The present membership is sixteen.


Other organizations


The Rechabite Band was organized January 4, 1878. This is a temperance organization, requiring its members to wear a badge of red and blue ribbon. The officers for the first year are: A. N. Goodrich, Moderator; W. L. Potter, Recorder; S. E. Waterbury, R. Z. Lattimer and A. E. Winrott, Directors. The Band has over 800 members enrolled.


The Fayette Cemetery Association was formed in 1864, the members being D. Alexander, H. W. Waterbury, Wm. Burch, John A. Griffith, I. W. Comstock, S. H. Robertson and E. Gregory. D. Alexander was chosen President; H. W. Waterbury, Secretary; E. Gregory, Treasurer, and Ed. Cavenaugh, Sexton.


The first interment had been previously made, it being that of Martha Alexander, followed by the burials of J. Buffington, Mrs. Fulmer and son, Mrs. George Walker, Mrs. I. Templeton, Mrs. W. A. Boughey, Miss Davis and Moses Davis - all in 1855.

H. W. Waterbury is still Secretary.


Davenport & Northwestern Railroad


W. C. Sanford is Station Master. Over fifty car loads of ice were shipped from Fayette Station in the Winter of 1876-7, for which purpose the track was completed to the Volga. To show the business done at this station, the following items are transcribed from the company's books, for 1877: Live hogs, fifty cars; dressed hogs, five cars; cattle, thirty-five cars; sheep, seven cars; wheat, forty-five cars; oats, six cars; barley, eleven cars; butter and eggs, five cars; grass seed, one car; hides and pelts, seven cars. Of lumber, fifty-two cars were received in 1877.


The water tank has a capacity of 1,800 barrels. In the basement of this building is placed the station battery, containing seventy jars.

The rock cut near the river is over fifty feet in depth.



S. Hammond is managing an apiary at Fayette, having nearly 100 swarms of bees. His building, erected in 1875, is ten-sided, and has a diameter of twenty-seven feet.


The capacity of the Volga, as a water power, is almost unlimited, its fall being so rapid that dams could be erected every mile of its course. One of the most eligible situations on the river, for manufacturing purposes, is just below Fayette, and should be turned to account speedily."


back to Fayette Home