Fayette County IAGenWeb  

Join Our Team




History of Fayette County, Iowa,

A history of the County, its Cities, Towns Etc.

Page 487

West Union
Town and Township

"Much of the history of West Union has been necessarily included in the general history of the county, as it was the first town in the county and was selected as the county seat. The township, as created by the County Commissioners of Fayette County in 1850, is identical with Congressional Township No. 94, north of Range 8 west, but it included a portion of Township 94, Range 7, and Township 95, Range 8, as erected by the Commissioners of Clayton County in 1849.

The surface is rolling, with steep bluffs along the Otter Creek in the eastern central portion. The soil is a deep, rich loam, clayey in the northern and eastern portions, and somewhat sandy in the southwest, bearing both wet and dry weather remarkably well, and seldom failing to reward the industrious farmer with fair harvests.

About one-third of the area of the township is covered with timber, mostly on the eastern part. The prevailing varieties are white and red oak, maple, elm, linn or basswood, butternut, hickory, black walnut, box elder, with an occasional pine and cedar. Several very fine and valuable sugar maple groves graced the forests in early times, but most of them have fallen before the woodman's axe to furnish fuel and lumber. A fine one yet remains on the farm of Mr. Jacob Hoyer, about a mile east of the town of West Union.

The township is watered by Otter Creek through the center, from west to east, while excellent springs of pure living water are numerous. Good water is generally obtained from wells at various depths from fifteen to forty feet, and above rock, except in a few instances.

The township was a portion of the Winnebago Reserve until 1848. A favorite camping ground of the Indians was on Section 16, west of the north branch of Otter Creek, on the present farm of Mr. J. Messingham, formerly H. W. Muse's place, and south of the present residence of Mr. J. C. Montgomery (formerly the home of Jacob Cory, W. C. Ashby, D. W. Hall and B. H. Sampson, successively.) Small hunting parties of the Indians encamped there several times after the township was settled by the whites, and as late as the Winter of 1857-8, and their lodge poles could be seen there for many years afterward.

The first to locate on this township were Lorenzo Dutton, Henry Jones and Charles M. Jones, who selected a spot for a home on what was afterward Section 3, in July, and Mr. Thomas J. Smith, who arrived about the same time. Smith is believed to have built the first cabin in the township, about the 15th to the 20th of August, 1848, on the farm now owned by Remembrance Lippincott, about a mile east of town. Mr. William Wells and Gabriel Long were here at the time, and helped to cut the logs and to make the "shakes" for the roof. Mr. Dutton and the Joneses returned to their location and built a cabin in September following. David Smith settled on Section 16 in the fall of 1848, and Morris B. Earll and Jacob Cory on Section 16. Henry F. Smith located near them on Section 9. Jacob F. and Henry Smith (sons of Henry F. Smith), spent the Winter of 1848-9 here. Absalom Butler settled here in April, 1849; George Smith, April 22; William Wells, April 23; William Redfield, Franklin Bishop and Stephen Bailey in May; Solomon Bishop and Gabriel Long July 4; Jacob W. Rogers, with his wife and daughter Ada, and Jacob LyBrand, September 7; Humphrey Tibbetts, October 25; William Felch and his two sons, Cephas and Richard, probably in October or November, 1849; Matthew Wells, Spring of 1850; Joseph W. Foster, July 4; John Phillips and Daniel Cook, September, 1850; David Wells, Dr. J. N. B. Elliott, 1850; William McClintock, Henry C. Lacy, Phineas F. Sturgis, Thomas Woodle, Joseph H. Stafford, David Stafford, Edwin Smith, Porter L. Hinkley, in the Spring of 1851; J. G. Webb, September 1851; John S. Brewer, Charles McDowell and others came in 1852; Isaac F. Clark, Myron Peck, John Gharky and others, 1853. Among other early settlers, the dates of whose settlement cannot now be ascertained, were James Carl, William Kilroy, Jonathan Ferrell, Jonathan Cruzan, Eli Root, William Root (1849 or 1850), Thomas Ritchie, George Stansbury, Elisha Van Dorn, Friend Dayton, H. S. Brunson, Joseph Deford, George W. Neff, Nicholas Butler, Willis T. Bunton, William Barnhouse, John Saltsgiver.

The town of West Union was laid out in the Fall of 1849, and re-surveyed in 1850. The site of the town was known as "Knob Prairie," and was named "West Union,' by William Wells, at the pioneer 4th of July celebration, 1849. The first survey was done by Erastus A. Light, assisted by Thomas R. Talbot.

The first township elections are recorded elsewhere.

The first house on the town plat was built by J. W. Rogers in 1849. Mr. Rogers was appointed Postmaster in January, 1850, and William McCloud carried the mail once a week between Elkader and Fort Atkinson, via West Union. Mr. Rogers' house being the first in the future city, he, of course, became the first hotel keeper, as strangers visiting this region insisted on stopping with him, refusing to go on if it was near meal or bedtime, as there was not another house in sight.

The first store was opened by LyBrand and Rogers in September, 1849, in a part of the dwelling house of William Wells, near the center of Section 17, and perhaps two rods southeast of the present residence of Mrs. Eliza, widow of William Wells. They kept a general stock of merchandise which was removed to the house of Mr. Rogers about January, 1850, where the firm "kept store: until Mr. LyBrand removed LyBrand, Allamakee County.

Daniel Cook built a small store and stocked it in the Summer of 1850, and commenced work on a hotel building on the corner of the southeast corner of Vine and Elm streets in the fall of the same year.

The first law suit was before Henry F. Smith, Justice of the Peace, in 1851. George Stansbury had sold some dressed hogs to Daniel Cook. Cook, in turn, had sold one-half of one of them to M. V. Burdick, who had discovered a suspicious spot on the neck of the dead animal, and returned it to Cook as being "diseased meat." Cook wanted Stansbury to take it back; but he refused, stoutly alleging that the meat was good. Cook thereupon commenced suit, which was duly tried before Justice Smith, and created considerable excitement in the little hamlet. The Justice decided that there was "no cause of action." It was afterwards discovered that the hog had been killed by a gun shot, and the suspicious spot that had caused this trouble was occasioned by the bullet, which lodged in the neck of the animal.

The First Hotel

In the Spring of 1851, Daniel Cook, who had commenced a hotel building, the previous Autumn, sold to J. H. & D. Stafford, who erected the Stafford Hotel, known as such until it was purchased by S. W. Cole, and by him called the "West Union House." Chauncy Leverich was building another hotel on the southwest corner of Vine and Walnut streets, where the Descent House now stands. At the same time Leverich had purchased the land of William Wells, upon condition that he should have the house up and enclosed by the 4th of July, 1851. Mr. J. B. Hough, of Clermont, who helped build the "Leverich House," says that they raised the frame of that a few hours before the Stafford Hotel was raised; that there was considerable rivalry between the workmen on the two buildings, to see which would get their frame up first. The Stafford Hotel was finished and opened first, however (see general history.)

A Comical Race

During the Summer of 1851, Daniel Cook had a bear chained near his store, which was near the back end of the building now known as the Stewart House, but known as the "Dayton House" in 1854. He was fattening the animal in anticipation of a grand Christmas shooting match. The boys and young men used to tease this bear by throwing sticks, etc., at him, and it was intensely amusing to them to see the bear start for them and be brought up "all standing" when he reached the end of his chain. One day "Phin" Sturgis was amusing himself at the bear's expense in this manner, and had roused the anger of Bruin by poking sticks at him, until the animal started for his tormentor. "Phin" ran the usual distance and turned, expecting to see the usual performance when the bear reached the end of his chain; but much to his surprise and terror, Bruin didn't stop. In some way the chain was broken loose from the post, and "Phin" found that he would have to "git" pretty lively if he wanted to escape a bear hug. He wasn't disposed to laugh now. There were no houses then on the east side of Vine street, and it was an exciting race. Sturgis says: "I did my level best, and made splendid time, but the bear was close behind me when I reached the building on the corner where the Hobson boys have their job printing office now, and I had begun to think my time had come. But I suddenly dodged around the corner of the house; and the bear, too fat to turn so quickly, kept right along to the timber." The bear was found in the timber the next day, tangled up with his chain, re-captured and returned to his imprisonment; but Sturgis says he had no desire to meddle with him any more. The shooting match came off according to the programme, and bear steaks were served to the guests at the grand Christmas ball at the Stafford Hotel.

The first white child born in the town was Oscar W. Rogers, son of Jacob and Sarah Jane Rogers, October 2, 1849. The first religious meeting was held in 1849, at the house of Henry F. Smith, Esq., which stood near the present site of George N. Rosier's barn. Rev. John Hinman was the clergyman, but the precise date is lost. The first church was built by the Methodist society in 1853, on Lot 15, Block 19, in West Union.

In 1851-52 . Gabriel Long and Joshua Wells built a steam saw-mill on Block 19, West Union. The mechanical and engineering work was done by Norman Churchill, of Monroe, Wis. The old frame is still standing near the brick flouring-mill, the building of which was commenced by Wm. Redfield, Maxson & Co., in 1855. In April of that year, says the Pioneer, "A large portion of the material is already on the ground to build the steam flouring-mill of Redfield, Maxson & Co." This mill was located on Block 19, just north of the saw-mill. It was built of brick, and was not completed until 1857. It was never very successful, and has been silent now for some years.

In the Spring of 1852, Mr. Wanzer, of Clayton County, arrived at West Union, with the exciting information that he had traced two thieves with a span of stolen horses to the vicinity of the town, and that the rogues were still in the vicinity. The people of the town had strong suspicion that Leverich was in league with the band of outlaws then infesting the county, and concluded that he might hold communication with the thieves during the night. Upon the supposition that they were concealed somewhere in the Turkey River timber, a line of sentries was established between the suspected point and the town. The night passed, and no discoveries were made; but it was afterward learned that the rascals were at Lost Grove that night, and that they received a supply of food from West Union at that place. Leverich, if it was him, was too sharp for them; and, although strongly suspected, was never fully detected in any unlawful act.

One day in September, 1852, a messenger came riding in hot haste into West Union with the startling announcement that fifteen hundred Indians were advancing upon the town to exterminate its inhabitants; that all the settlers to the west had been ruthlessly murdered and scalped, and their cabins burned, and that unquestionably the merciless savages would hurl themselves upon the town during the following night. Immediately the wildest excitement prevailed. There was "hurrying to and fro;" a meeting was called, and the brave citizens of West Union decided not to run, but to make a determined and vigorous defense. William McClintock was elected Commander-in-Chief, and Friend Dayton was dispatched post haste to Elkader for a supply of ammunition, as there was none in town. The people were requested to bring out all the arms they had, and succeeded in finding one rifle, one army musket and one single-barreled fowling-piece. The Commander-in-Chief shook his head dubiously when he reflected that these composed the entire armament of the place, that they had no powder, and that in a few hours fifteen hundred red devils might be screeching their terrible war-whoop in the peaceful streets of the town. He and his brave but unarmed supporters were intensely relieved, however, when they learned soon after that there was not an Indian within 150 miles of Fayette County.

In 1852, in the fall, Judge Woodle, Rev. H. S. Brunson and Rev. John Webb opened a store on Vine street, and employed Phineas F. Sturgis as accountant and salesman. Their store was known to the early settlers as "The Arcade."

M. V. Burdick says that the firm adopted the word "handsomely" for cost mark; that he deciphered it, that he would let them know it, and sent a note without signature as follows:

Beware, ye men of the Arcade,
I will not let you doubt
Though "handsomely" your cost mark's made,
'Tis "handsomely" found out.

Burdick was not successful in disguising his chirography, as his friends recognized his propensity for rhyming, for the next time he entered the store Mr. Sturgis very complacently handed him the note, and, with a merry twinkle of the eye, asked him if "he had ever seen that before."

"The Arcade" was on the west side of Vine street, a small wooden building still standing, a short distance north of the Bank Building, over the door of which may yet be seen the old sign of "Woodle & Brunson."

The first paper in West Union is not included in the list of newspapers of the county. It was not printed, appeared semi-occasionally and was called The Gleaner. Nobody knew who published it, and it made unmerciful thrusts at random. "Everybody," says Mr. Burdick, "was hit, but nobody knew who it was that hit him." Burdick says the following carried in The Gleaner "didn't cost him a cent:"

Attorney at Law
Clients taken in and done for; victims fleeced in the tenderest and most approved style.
Office, on Judge Woodle's desk. Residence, in Dr. J. N. B. Elliott's - back side of his house

The first paper printed in West Union, and the first in the county, was the Fayette County Pioneer, the first number of which was issued October 23, 1853, by John Gharky, who cherished a just pride in an "untamable pen," and who endeavored to make the Pioneer conform to his ideal. He is said to have been a warm-hearted, generous man, with his roughest side out.

The Raid on the Black Warrior, West Union

In 1854, there was a saloon called "the Black Warrior," located probably on Lot 3, Block 13, on the south side of Elm Street, kept by a Mr. Padden and a partner whose name is forgotten. The baleful influences of the place were so keenly felt that the ladies of the town determined that it must and should be suppressed. Accordingly, on the 29th of June of that year, they assembled to the number of fifteen or twenty, proceeded to the saloon and requested the proprietor to quit the business that was making so much mischief and trouble in the community. Mr. Padden declined to give an answer until he could consult with his partner, who, he said, was at Auburn. His partner was sent for, but the ladies were impatient. They thought that Padden was only dallying to gain time, and they decided to adopt decided measures. One of the rear windows was boarded up; these boards were removed and the "Black Warrior" was in possession of its enemies. Several barrels, half barrels, demijohns, etc., were quickly emptied of their contents. While the work of destruction was going on, Padden made an attempt to replace the boards on the window and thus imprison the crusaders within, but, says a prominent citizen, "I was standing close by, and he couldn't make the boards fit." This event caused a great deal of excitement and ill-feeling, and numerous threats were made of retaliation; houses were to be painted black, etc., but fortunately these threats were unfulfilled. It was an element in the following election, however, and the "Black Warrior" and its friends succeeded in tieing Elder Webb with Gabriel Long, as their candidate for County Judge, who then "drew lots" with Webb and "wore the ermine."

Business Interests

The doctors were J.N.B. Elliott, J. H. Stafford, J. Cruzan, Levi Fuller and J. H. Hart. The attorneys, William McClintock, C. A. Newcomb and Jacob W. Rogers. M. V. Burdick had just left. The attorneys all did a land office business. Davis & Minford, Tibbetts, Piper and L. B. Dershan were the blacksmiths of the town. At the close of 1854, Philip Herzog sold his interest in the red Empire Cabinet and Chair Factory, on the east side of the square, to W. T. Perry, who, with Nathaniel C. Smith, Herzog's partner, enlarged the business. E. L. Sherman and John A. Grover were the harness makers and saddlers. Brewer & Peck, wagon makers. Webber came in 1855. Henry Wohrenberg was tailor, the first in town. S. D. Rowland dressed deer skins, which were plenty and cheap. Occasionally an elk was brought to the West Union market. Sampson & Cowles were shoemakers, employing three or four journeymen.

In the Fall of 1854, George W. Snell arrived in town with a traveling daguerrean car, stopped on the public square and remained some time. D. B. Hanan was taking likenesses in a room in Hale's Hotel.

During the Winter of 1854-5, five families lived in Matthew Wells' house, on the west side of Bine street, afterward owned by Milo McGlathery. Corn sold for 35 cents a bushel; pork, 3 to 4 cents a pound; hickory, maple and ash sold for $2 a cord, and oak, walnut, basswood, etc., at $1.75. Fifty cents a cord was paid for chopping wood, and laborers received $1 a day.

In the Fall of 1854, William Wells made a sale of lots in his addition to West Union. Dr. Fuller bought two for $90, and C. A. Newcomb two for $85. April 20, 1855, F. Dayton sold at auction sixteen lots in Block 17. Henry Smith bought one on which was a house, for $110. Twelve of the lots sold at prices ranging from $33 to $67.

In January, 1875, the Fayette County Union published an interesting communication from John Gharky, the first editor in Fayette County, entitled "Twenty Years Ago," from which the historian compiles the following interesting statements in relation to West Union in 1854-5:
The principal dry goods merchants at West Union at that time were Densmore & Co., the "Co." being Charles Chadwick, L. C. Noble and B. T. Reeves; Henry C. Lacy & Co. in their "Crystal Palace," and Charles A. Cottrell, successor of the lamented Daniel Cook. Berkey & Winet were almost exclusively in the grocery trade, in which their principal rivals were Somers & Webster, who occupied their noted "Black Warrior."

In May, 1854, Dr. Levi Fuller and H. Chandler established the Pioneer Hardware Store. This was the first hardware in the town, and in the Fall of the same year was owned by J. H. Hart & Co.

There were four public houses in the Fall of 1854, viz.: The West Union Hotel, Job Arnold, proprietor, which was the first tavern first occupied by David Stafford, by his widow, "Aunt Lucinda," after his death, and then by S. W. Cole. The Irvin House, on Lot 1, Block 13, where the Descent House now stands. This house was built by Chauncy Leverich, and opened as a hotel by him; bought by _____ Irvin, and kept as the Irvin House by his sons James and John. The Dayton House, on Lot 5, Block 13, Elm street, east of the West Union House, built by Friend Dayton and kept by him; and the United States House, on Lot 5, Block 11, Vine Street, built by Job Arnold as a storehouse, purchased, enlarged and opened as a hotel by Samuel Hale.

On Christmas evening, Dec. 25, 1864, a grand ball was given at the Irvin House. A general invitation was extended, a splendid supper prepared and a merry time was had. The Irvins were good providers, their wives superior cooks, and that house, says Gharky, "set an excellent table." Cotillion parties were quite common. Society was not artificially graded then, and at these parties silk and calico, broadcloth and bluejeans, mingled together on the same broad level.

Henry Jones and Luke Camp were independent surveyors. Jud. Jones was schoolmaster, occupying the Baptist Church, teaching phonetics, and giving general satisfaction.


During 1854, great improvements were made in the new town. Samuel Hale, C. A. Newcomb and D. J. Marvin erected six houses; and the following named persons one building each, viz.: A. J. Clark, William Minford, H. S. Brunson, A. Gruver, N. Pease, Joshua Wells, Levi Fuller, Gideon Stafford, Gabriel Long, S. Bailey, H. Wonnenberg (the first tailor), M. Rowe, William Gibson, U. L. Stowe, Darius Hanan (the first daguerrean artist), J. R. Smith, J. Niekel, George R. Slayton, E. Luce, Berkey & Winet, D. H. Hall, C. W. Corey, Stephen Reeves, S. M. Phillips, A. C. South, H. Chandler, Friend Dayton, Somers & Webster, Sam. Malone, R. A. Bishop (the first baker), and Mr. Neffin, making a total of thirty-seven.

June 1, 1854, D. P. Foster, familiarly called "Palm" for short, a son of Joseph W. Foster, took the contract to carry the mail to and from McGregor twice a week.

July 10, 1854, Orton's Circus performed to crowded seats - the first exhibition of the kind in West Union.

August 3, 1854, the first regular camp-meeting commenced a short distance west of town. The Pioneer of that date remarks: "The first large out-of-doors meeting in Fayette County was held at a large rock in Pleasant Valley Township as far back as 1850, if not further." It was in 1849, in West Union Township.

On the last Friday night in December, 1855, the Methodist parsonage was consumed by fire. The minister's library was very much damaged.
January 17, 1856, the boiler for the steam flouring-mill arrived; and on the 29th of the same month, a dumb man preached in the Methodist Church. Subject, "Abraham Sacrificing Isaac." Rev. Mr. Dollarhide assisted.

Death By Poison

On Tuesday night, May 31, 1859, Lewis Nash, aged some 9 or 10 years, a son of Lyman Nash, died suddenly at the house of Dr. Stafford in this place, from the effects of eating wild parsnips, it is supposed. In the course of the preceding afternoon, he and two or three other boys dug and ate what they supposed to be artichokes, but which proved to be the poisonous plant above mentioned. The other boys were sick, but recovered.

There were 170 Good Templars in West Union in February, 1867.

Railway Meeting

A railway meeting was held at the Court House on Thursday evening, January 9, 1868. Joseph Hobson was Chairman and J. W. Shannon, Secretary. William McClintock, Esq., stated the object of the meeting to be to decide upon the necessity of sending someone to Des Moines to assist our legislative delegation in protecting our interests in relation to the land grant.

Addresses were made by Judge McClintock, Joseph Hobson, S. S. Ainsworth and Richard Earle.  Judge McClintock was invited to go to Des Moines for the object above suggested. The local finance committee was instructed to make an effort to raise the necessary funds, and report to Judge McClintock.

S. S. Ainsworth, I. F. Clark and J. F. Babcock were appointed a committee to circulate petitions.

On Sunday, July 18, 1875, the pulpit of the M. E. Church at West Union was occupied by Mrs. Mary C. Nind and Mrs. Lucy E. Prescott. In the evening, Mrs. Prescott delivered a short address on the orginazation of the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society. At the close of her address, several ladies, deeply imbued with the importance of attending to the spiritual wants of the heathen on the opposite side of this wonderful little planet, gave their names for membership, and on Monday afternoon a Branch Society was organized by the election of officers as follows:
President, Mrs. L. W. Waterbury; Vice Presidents, Mrs. C. Miller, Mrs. Tyrrell and Mrs. Joseph Hobson; Recording Secretary, Mrs. Jennie Lacy; Assistant, Miss Fannie Hobson; Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. L. Armstrong; Treasurer, Mrs. Myron Peck; Literary Committee, Mrs. Wm. Fuller, Mrs. A. C. Jones, Miss Julia Capwell, Miss Julia Slitor.

March 23, 1878, Frank Reed, a journeyman cooper, committed suicide at the United States House, West Union, by taking laudanum. He was an unmarried man, and came to Fayette County from Sterling, Illinois.


The first school house in West Union was a log structure, built in the Summer of 1850, on the north end of Lot 1, Block 15, on the east side of the town. Some authorities state that J. S. Pence taught the first school in this building in the Winter of 1851-52, but there is strong evidence that James Boale taught first in the log school house, six months, for $100. Mr. Boale was examined for the position by J. W. Rogers, in his field near the northwest corner of the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 16, Township 94 north, Range 8 west, a little southeast of the school house, with hoe in hand, standing beside a crooked rail fence with "all out-doors" for a room and all creation for an audience, if they chose to attend. Mr. Boale stood on the other side of the fence, passed a short and satisfactory examination, and gave good satisfaction.

The log school house was used for religious purposes as well as for schools for some years, until churches were built and the school district had outgrown its dimensions. Then the churches were used for school houses; but, until 1858, the author can find no record of schools or school districts.

May 3, 1858, the electors of School District Township of West Union assembled at the Court House and elected S. S. Ainsworth, President; E. L. Hackett, Vice President; D. G. Hoffman, Secretary; John Gharky, District No. 1; William M. Eldridge, No. 2; D. B. Smith, No. 3; A. Butler, No. 4; Isaac Hitch, No. 5; George Neff, No. 6; F. Smith, No. 7; Lewis Davis, No. 8; and Samuel Harper, No. 9. At this meeting it was resolved to submit the question of levying a tax of two mills for "Teacher's Fund" and two mills for "School House Fund" to the legal voters of the district; also, whether the Board should be authorized to borrow $5,000 for procuring sites and building school houses.
The Director of Sub-district No. 1 was authorized to organize two schools in that district, and Messrs. Gharky, Ainsworth and Hoffman appointed to employ teachers therefore.

On the 26th day of May, 1858, William Wells donated to No. 1 an acre of ground lying southwest of Wells' donation, on consideration that a school house should be built thereon; but the district selected another site, and the land was "deeded back" to Mr. Wells. Miss Quackenbush, Miss Sleiter and Mr. Carpenter were teachers in No. 1 in 1858, and Miss Morton taught in No. 4.

It would seem that at that time there was no school house in No. 1, for on the 16th of October, 1858, the Board paid rent for the Baptist Church and for Ormond's Hall, probably for school purposes, and the United Brethren Church was used as a school house in the Summer of that year.

In 1859, there appear to have been but seven sub-districts, and three schools were authorized in No. 1. This year, the Baptist Church and Brick Church (U. B.) were used for school houses in No. 1, and D. W. Hammond and wife and Miss M. E. Hackett were the teachers. Miss Hawley, teacher in No. 2; Miss Farrer, No. 3; W. T. Mitchell, No. 4; S. B. Potter, No. 5; Emma Hale, No. 6; James L. Campbell in No. 7.
In the Spring of 1860, Sub-district No. 1 drops out of the township district records, and the inference is that No. 1 was erected into an independent district at that time. In 1861, there were only six sub-districts and No. 7 was made No. 1.

An agreement between the Independent District of West Union and Township District, entered into on the 19th of December, 1863, stipulates that thereafter Sections 16, 17, and 18, south half of Sections 7, 8 and 9, west half of Section 15, northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 22, north half of northeast quarter of Section 21, northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 21, and north halfs of Sections 19 and 20 should constitute the independent district.

At the meeting of the Board of Directors of the township district in March, 1878, the following teachers were paid, viz.: Emma House, No. 1; C. G. Graham, No. 2; Dell Abbott, No. 3; J. E. Robertson, No. 4; Louise Crowe, No. 5; J. F. Cornish, No. 6; Carrie Harrison, No. 7.
The Board for 1878 is constituted as follows: Wm. Alcorn, No. 1; M. N. Trout, No. 2; J. F. Smith, Jr., No. 3; Charles Hoyer, No. 4; John W. Stewart, No. 5; B. F. Conkey, No. 6; J. G. Nefzgar, No. 7; John A. Knox, No. 8; John W. Steward, President; Morris Merritt, Secretary.
The Independent School District, of West Union, was organized, probably, in the Spring of 1860, but the early records are lost. It is said that at the first meeting, when a Board of Directors was chosen, the district voted to borrow money to build a school house, and for three years were voting taxes and rescinding them; but at last, in May, 1863, a contract was made with David Winrott and Lewis Brown to build a school house on Lots 4, 5, 6 and 7, Block 4, plat of Union <sic>, on the north side of Elm Street, for $2,900. The house was to be 30x50 feet, two stories, with a vestibule 10x30 in front, and, as the district was "short," the contractors were allowed a year in which to complete it. They commenced work in May, 1863, and the building was ready for occupancy in April, 1864. The first teachers in the new building were E. B. Wakeman, Principal; Mrs. R. R. Wakeman, Miss Jennie E. Hines and Addie M. Close. The term commenced April 25 and ended July 18, 1864.

In 1869 or '70, an addition was made to the school house of another building about the same size of the first, built by Evans Camp.
School Board of 1878 - G. H. Thomas, President; L. L. Ainsworth, Joseph Hobson, D. M. Hoyt, H. B. Hoyt and William McClintock, Directors; S. B. Zeigler, Treasurer; J. D. Neff, Secretary; Teachers - 1878 - B. R. Anderson, Principal; Hiram C. Bishop, Louise Hinkley, Hattie Thornton, Ida Noble and Cassie Quivey.

Fayette County National Bank of West Union

The following gentlemen, subscribers to the capital stock of the Fayette County National Bank, viz.: David Bell, Dover; C. R. Bent, Lewis Berkey, George Blunt, Joseph Hobson, H. B. Hoyt, Myron Peck, William Redfield, L. W. Waterbury, E. A. Whitney, S. B. Zeigler, of West Union; William Larrabee, B. H. Hinkley, of Clermont; D. B. Herriman, Wadena, and J. K. Rosier, of Dover, met at the office of Joseph Hobson, in West Union, on Monday, June 24, 1872, and organized, by the election of a Board of Directors as follows: David Bell, George Blunt, D. B. Herriman, Joseph Hobson, H. B. Hoyt, William Larrabee, Myron Peck, E. A. Whitney and S. B. Zeigler. President, Joseph Hobson; Vice President, S. B. Zeigler; Cashier, E. A. Whitney; Teller, E. B. Shaw.

The capital stock was $50,000. The amount of stock subscribed for was $59,500, and a redistribution of stock was made so as to include all applicants, and, as far as possible, allow each to have the amount of stock he desired.  The Fayette County Bank was merged into the National Bank, the assets of the former being transferred by the proprietor, S. B. Zeigler, to the latter on Monday, August 5, 1872.
The officers of 1878 are: Directors: Joseph Hobson, S. B. Zeigler, Edward A. Whitney, H. B. Hoyt, Myron Peck, William Larrabee, L. W. Waterbury, B. H. Hinkley and Wm. R. Morley; President, Joseph Hobson; S. B. Zeigler, Vice President; E. A. Whitney, Cashier; Ephraim B. Shaw, Assistant Cashier. Capital stock, $100,000; surplus, $10,000.
Connected with the institution is the

Fayette County Savings Bank

with the following officers: Directors, Curtis R. Bent, J. Hobson, John Owens, L. W. Waterbury, B. H. Hinkley, H. B. Hoyt, Myron Peck, E. A. Whitney and S. B. Zeigler; President, S. B. Zeigler; Vice President, Joseph Hobson; Treasurer, E. A. Whitney; Assistant Treasurer, E. B. Shaw.

Political Record

The township of West Union was first organized in 1849, under the jurisdiction of Clayton County, but there are no records to be found to show its early political record. It is seldom that a township can be found with complete and continuous records from its first organization.

West Union was incorporated under the general laws of the State, and the first election was held April 26, 1866. H. N. Hawkins was elected Mayor; S. F. Clark, Recorder; John S. Sampson, Charles Chadwick, Henry Rickel, Myron Peck and James S. Wright, Trustees. The first action of the Town Council was the passage of an ordinance fixing the time of meeting on the first Monday in each month.

Ordinance No. 2 provided for the election of a Marshal and Treasurer, and for the appointment of said officers until the next general election, in 1877 <sic>. Ordinance No. 4 provided for the levy of seven mills on the dollar on all taxable property in the incorporate town of West Union. Ordinance No. 5 authorized the Mayor and Recorder to borrow money for the use of the town, not to exceed $700 in amount, at 10 per cent interest. Ordinance No. 7 provided for the payment of each attendance at each session, $1.50 to each member of the Council, except the Treasurer, who received "the sum of two percent on all monies paid out by him," and the Clerk received (in addition to the $1.50) ten cents per hundred words for all writing done in connection with his duties as Town Recorder. J. J. Welsh was appointed Marshal, and J. J. Berkey Treasurer. Dr. W. A. Chase was appointed Health Officer.

May 16, 1866, a committee was appointed to inquire into the practicability of building a calaboose for the town. June 18, 1866, J. Bell was appointed Street Commissioner.

For 1867, Mayor, S. B. Zeigler; Recorder, S. S. Seely; Trustees, H. Wimber, L. Dershan, Noah Phillips, George L. Noble and B. Herserman; Treasurer, J. J. Berkey.

For 1868, Mayor, S. B. Zeigler; Recorder, S. S. Seely; Treasurer, J. J. Berkey; Trustees, Myron Peck, L. W. Waterbury, J. J. Ingersoll, Samuel Holton and S. Beattie; J. J. Berkey appointed Recorder, October 12th, to fill vacancy.

For 1869, Mayor, S. B. Zeigler; Recorder, James S. Wright; Treasurer, J. J. Berkey; Trustees, L. W. Waterbury, S. Beattie, D. W. Redfield, S. Holton and M. Peck. February, 1870, the town appropriated $200 for the purchase of four fire extinguishers.

For 1870, Mayor, S. B. Zeigler; Recorder, A. B. Ecker; Treasurer, C. H. Talmadge; Trustees, J. S. Sampson, H. Wimber, E. N. Phillips, Samuel Holton, Samuel Beattie.

For 1871, Mayor, S. B. Zeigler; Recorder, A. B. Ecker; Treasurer, L. W. Waterbury; Trustees, C. T. Nefzger, Myron Peck, E. H. Kinyon, A. H. Foxx, John Rapp.

April 3, 1871, C. T. Nefzger was appointed to confer with William Wells in regard to getting a deed of the graveyard to the incorporate town of West Union. Deed was made and delivered to the Town Council Oct. 23, 1871.

For 1872, Mayor, P. L. Hinkley; Recorder, William Cowle; Treasurer, L. W. Waterbury; Trustees, John Rapp, John S. Sampson, C. T. Nefzger, H. B. Hoyt, Henry Wimber. August 9, I. F. Clark was appointed Recorder, vice William Cowle, resigned.

For 1873, Mayor, J. J. Berkey; Recorder, Wm. E. Welsh; Treasurer, L. W. Waterbury; Trustees, John Rapp, George Ogsbury, Silas Beattie, I. F. Clark, Wm. Gruver. April 11, 1873, a resolution was passed directing the Mayor to "make, execute and deliver to the Board of Supervisors of Fayette County, Iowa, a quit-claim of the public square, known as the Court House Square, in West Union, Iowa, in behalf of said town, whenever said Board of Supervisors shall appropriate the sum of $5,000 for the building of a courthouse on said public square, and shall enter into a written contract with responsible parties for the building of the Court House thereon."

For 1874, Mayor, J. J. Berkey; Recorder, E. B. Shaw; Treasurer, L. W. Waterbury; Trustees, A. H. Fox, George Ogsbury, John S. Sampson, John Owens, John Cook.

For 1875, Mayor, Henry Rickel; Recorder, P. L. Hinkley; Treasurer, L. W. Waterbury; Trustees, John Owens, Geo. H. Thomas, John S. Sampson, John Cook, Milo McGlathery.

Feb. 1, 1877, the Council issued bonds for the purchase of fire extinguishing apparatus, to the amount of $2,300.

For 1876, Mayor, H. Rickel; Recorder, J. H. Donald; Treasurer, L. W. Waterbury; Trustees, G. H. Thomas, John Owens, E. B. Shaw, A. Gunsalus, John Cook.

For 1877, Mayor, George Ogsbury; Recorder, John H. Donald; Treasurer, John S. Sampson; Trustees, James Stewart, O. E. Taylor, C. McMaster and H. C. Gunsalus.

For 1878, Mayor, George Ogsbury; Recorder, John H. Donald; Treasurer, A. K. White; Trustees, W. N. Hodgkinson, W. C. McMaster, B. W. Finch, James Stewart and O. E. Taylor


Methodist Episcopal Church, - In 1850, the Otter Creek Mission was re-organized, with Rev. H. S. Brunson as Presiding Elder, and Rev. S. H. Greenup and Rev. E. Howard, Pastors. West Union was taken up as an appointment, and a class organized, consisting in part of Mrs. Elizabeth Cook, Mrs. Lucinda Stafford, Jos. W. Foster and wife, Mrs. Ellen Cruzan, with G. P. Slayton as Leader, and Rev. J. B. Hollingshead and Rev. Elisha Hartsough as Local Preachers. The first Quarterly Conference was held two miles east of West Union, on a big rock. The first place of worship in West Union was the old log school house; but in 1853, with Rev. Jos. R. Cameron as Pastor, a frame church was commenced, and finally completed through the energy and liberality of Dr. Fuller, C. R. Bent, J. S. Brewer and others. Here a Sabbath school was organized, with J. S. Brewer as Superintendent. The society continued to prosper under the pastorates of Rev. L. S. Ashbaugh, Rev. Isaac Newton and Rev. J. M. Rankin, until 1859, when the appointment known on the circuit as West Union ws organized into a station. This was with many fears of inability to support a Pastor, but was finally ventured upon when Dr. Fuller became responsible for the Pastor's salary. At the next Annual Conference, Rev. G. Clifford was appointed as the first Pastor of West Union Station. The first parsonage was bought in 1855, during the pastorate of Rev. L. S. Ashbaugh. This was burned in 1859, during its occupancy by Rev. J. M. Rankin. The present parsonage was purchased, and has been improved from time to time, until it has become a very comfortable house for the Pastor.

The present church was commenced in 1866, and carried forward to completion during the pastorate of Rev. Wm. Fawcett, and at a cost of $8,000.00. The building was dedicated in the presence of an over-crowded assemblage, Jan. 5th, 1868, Rev. Dr. Raymond, of the Garrett Biblical Institute, Evanston, Ill., preaching the sermon. The music was under the direction of Prof. Mark Jones. Dr. Fuller, in behalf of the Trustees, presented the church for dedication, but before this was done, the indebtedness remaining, some $2,500, was pledged on the spot.

The society now numbers 225, divided into eight classes, under the sub-pastoral care of C. R. Bent, R. Sampson, Wm. Edgar, J. S. Brewer, JaneSampson, H. Rickel, John Riley and Devitt Neff. The Board of Stewards consists of C. R. Bent, A. E. Rich, H. Rickel, P. Clark, D. W. Clement, W. H. Huyck, R. Sampson and J. S. Brewer. Trustees - Dr. L. Fuller, Jos. Hobson, M. Peck, J. H. Donald,C. T. Nefzger, P. Barnhart, J. J. Berkey, Wm. Ash and E. Kramer.

The Sabbath school, under the superintendence of D. W. Clement, numbers one hundred and fifty.

The following Pastors have served the church since its organization in 1850; Revs. S. H. Greenup and E. Howard, 1852; Rev. Jos. R. Cameron, 1854; Rev. L. S. Ashbaugh, 1856; Rev. Isaac Newton, 1858; Rev. J. M. Rankin, 1859; Rev. Geo. Clifford, 1861; Rev. B. Webster, 1862; Rev. R. Swearingen. 1864; Rev. W. Smith, 1865; Rev. H. S. Church, 1866; Rev. W. Fawcett, 1868; Rev. R. N. Earhart, 1870; Rev. W. P. Watkins, 1872; Rev. M. H. Smith, 1874; Rev. J. R. Berry, 1875; Rev. J. B. Casebeer, 1877; Rev. D. Sheffer. Ladies' Aid Society - Mrs. Jane Sampson, President; Mrs. Darnell, Treasurer; Mrs. M. Peck, Mrs. Wm. Heiseman, Mrs. M. C. Sheffer, Mrs. Benj. Heiseman, Mrs. W. H. Huyck and Mrs. D. W. Clements, Directors. Women's Foreigh Missionary Society - Mrs. M. C. Seffer, President; Mrs. Wm. Cox, Vice President; Mrs. Jane Sampson, Corresponding Secretary; Mrs. Martha Jones, Secretary and Treasurer.

Regular Baptist Church - At a meeting of the Regular Baptist Brethren residing in West Union, at the house of Hon. Thomas Woodle, on the 23d day of October, A. D. 1852, Elder Thomas Ritchie, of Stroudsburg, Penn., and Elder Calvin D. Farnsworth, of Colesburg, Iowa, were requested to sit as an Advisory Council with them.

The meeting was opened by prayer. Elder Thomas Ritchie was called to the chair, and Friend Dayton was elected Clerk. The Council decided to recognize them as a "Regular Baptist Church of Christ."

The next day, 24th, the Recognition Sermon was delivered by Rev. C. D. Farnsworth, the Charge by Rev. Mr. Ritchie, and Right Hand of Fellowship by Mr. Farnsworth.

The original members were Lorenzo Dutton, Malinda Dutton, Francis Skelton, Martha Burdick, Livona Burdick, Friend Dayton, Sarah Ann Dayton, Baltus Dayton, Reuben Dayton, Thomas Woodle and Rachel Woodle.

November 15, 1852, the little church again assembled at the house of Thos. Woodle. At this meeting, Lorenzo Dutton was Moderator; Francis Skelton was elected Church Clerk, and Friend Dayton, Deacon.

March 18, 1853, Elder J. Arnold was engaged to preach one-fourth of the time for six months.

May 19, 1853, the church resolved to purchase a "lot of ground in West Union, in order to build a small house of worship on it, and that the dimensions of said house shall not exceed 20x26 feet.

Job Arnold, Friend Dayton and L. Dutton were elected Trustees of the church, and were authorized to act as a Building Committee, and to circulate subscription papers to raise funds with which to build.

In September, Mr. Arnold resigned as Trustee, and D. H. Hall was elected in his place. Elder George Scott was engaged as Pastor, for one year, his salary to be $100.

Like most other societies, this little church thought it could not build a house of worship without incurring a debt; and in November, 1853, Thomas Woodle was authorized to negotiate a loan from the American Baptist Home Mission Board, to "pay for the house of worship that the church is building." This church was built on the west side of Walnut street, on Lot 18, Block 13, West Union, and was completed and dedicated. It is now occupied by W. N. Pierce, as a carpenter shop.

March 18, 1854, Dayton, Hall and Dutton were appointed a committee to report suitable persons for Sabbath school officers. About this time, the church labored with Brother Arnold, received his confession and was satisfied.

April 1, Brothers Woodle and Byam were elected Superintendents of the Sabbath school; M. V. Burdick, Secretary, and I. F. Clark, Librarian. In July, Elder Scott was called to continue his labors, and E. C. Byam was granted a license to preach.

The records do not show when the house was finished or dedicated; but August 5, 1854, the church voted to "expend what money there is in the treasury to repair the damage occasioned by the late storm."

December 10, 1854, Elder Scott resigned.

July 21, 1855, Brother A. G. Emery was licensed to preach, and invited to supply the church with preaching until a minister could be procured.

Rev. J. H. Parmalee occupied the pulpit in 1856; and during the year, an effort was made to enlarge the church building.

Rev. Myron Newill became Pastor of the church July, 1858; he resigned April 3, 1859; and August 20, Alonzo Abernethy was licensed to preach. The next Pastor was Rev. John Williams.

The society was incorporated in 1861, Benjamin Morse, A. B. Collins, James Bell, A. E. Walls, A. Greshbacher and S. W. Cole being the corporaters.

Rev. Mr. Hill was Pastor in 1864.

February 3, 1866, the Trustees reported that they had sold the meeting house to the Lutheran Church, for $250; and asked what they should do with the money.

Elder Starr was Pastor in 1867-8.

In May, 1867, the church commenced the work of building a new church edifice, on Lot 6, Block 5, corner of Main and Vine streets, which was completed, and dedicated January 6, 1870, by Rev. N. F. Ravlin, of Chicago. Deacon B. Morse reported the whole cost of the building to be $5,695.40.

Rev. R. F. Powers was Pastor for a few months early in 1869, followed, in March, 1870, by Rev. C. G. B. Jackson, and remained two years.

In August, 1872, Rev. Thomas Ure became Pastor, and continued until February, 1874.

The church was destitute of a Pastor until February, 1875, when Rev. J. C. Douglass assumed the pastorate for six months, leaving the pulpit in August.

Until August, 1876, the church was supplied occasionally, but at that time, Rev. M. H. Perry, the present Pastor, entered the pulpit.

The present church officers are B. Morse, W. A. Whitney and F. Y. Whitmore. Deacon Morse has been Deacon of this church for nearly twenty years. Ansel A. Johnson, Clerk; F. Y. Whitmore, Treasurer; W. A. Whitney, D. Merritt and James S. Kent, Trustees.

Not one of the original members are now members of the church. Present membership - about sixty-eight.

Presbyterian Church - For many years the Presbyterian element in and around West Union had no church of their order. The first attempt to plant a Presbyterian Church was made by the United Presbyterians; but this failed. Some time after this, a petition to the Presbytery of Dubuque, in connection with the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, was presented, asking for the organization of a church in West Union. The following extract is made from the records of the Presbytery of Dubuque, at a meeting held at Littleton, Iowa, April 25, 1867:

A petition signed by twenty-five persons, of whom nineteen are church members, was presented, asking for the organization of a church of our order at West Union, in Fayette County, Iowa. Mr. Jesse Philips, of that place, was heard by the Presbytery on behalf of the petitioners. It was therefore resolved that the request be granted, and that a committee of three be appointed to organize a church at West Union, if the way be clear, at their earliest convenience. Revs. J. McKean and J. D. Caldwell and Elder S. F. Glenn were appointed said committee.

This committee met in West Union, June 19, 1867. A sermon was preached by Rev. J. D. Caldwell, and was followed immediately by the organization of the church. Only eleven persons joined at this meeting. These original members were the following: Nathan Shaw, Eleanor Shaw, Lovica J. Bell, Elizabeth H. Shaw, Rebecca A. Shaw, Wm. Selder, S. A. Selder, Jesse Philips, Nancy A. Philips, E. M. Campbell and Mary J. Irvin.

Nathan Shaw and Jesse Philips were elected as Ruling Elders, and immediately ordained and installed, with appropriate ceremonies.

But the church was as yet without either a house to worship in or a Pastor to direct their devotions. In the Autumn, however, the latter want was supplied. Rev. J. W. Dickey was called from Ohio, to take charge of the newly formed church. This proved the beginning of a long pastorate. Mr. Dickey was not, however, regularly installed, until November 5, 1868.

From the Spring of 1868 to the Fall of 1869, the old Methodist Episcopal Church was used. This was purchased by the Presbyterian society and occupied for three months, but was finally deserted, and services were held in the Court House, till January, 1871.

In the meantime the society had been busy building a church edifice worthy of the worship of God. The Building Committee was composed of Messrs. E. B. Shaw and L. Fuller, M. D., who superintended the work. The result was a very good brick structure, with commodious and comfortable appointments. It is well suited in every way for the purpose designed, and is exceedingly neat and tasteful in appearance. The cost of this house was only $4,500.

This house was dedicated with appropriate services, January, 1871. The sermon was preached by Rev. D. Russell, of Manchester. From that time, the church has had a name to live. It has had a home, and around that home have gathered many pleasant memories.

The pastoral relations of the Rev. J. W. Dickey with this people, which had been so long maintained, were finally severed, April 18, 1876, at a meeting of the Presbytery held in Dubuque. Thus the critical period of the church's history - the formation and moulding of its character - was in the hands of this servant of God. For nine years he held the reins and guided the church successfully, as long experience had taught him. The church owes much to the faithful labors of this, its first and, so far, only Pastor duly installed.

Rev. Mr. Dickey was succeeded by Rev. D. Russell, who had charge for one year, but was never installed. He served from May, 1876, to May, 1877. The prosperity of the church still continued, and many were attracted to the preaching of Mr. Russell.

He was followed by Rev. W. O. Ruston, immediately, who is at present in charge of the church, though not as yet installed as Pastor.

One hundred and thirty-seven have, in these ten years of church life, been received into membership. Of this number, 32 have died or been dismissed to other churches, leaving 105 as the present membership.

Christian Church - This church was organized in the Winter of 1853-4, but had no church until the next year (1855). Their first Pastor was Rev. E. Griffin. In 1865, the church was incorporated, with the following Trustees; John Ecker, William McCleery and Lorenzo Dutton. In 1871, the society ceased to hold meetings. The church was then let to the German Lutheran Society and S. S. Ainsworth, who kept a private school in it; and upon information being given to the Assessor of that fact, he at once levied tax, and there being no one to pay said tax, it was sold in default thereof and bid in by David Winrott. Mr. A. B. Ecker, however, in 1874, made oath before the Board of Supervisors that it was church property, whereupon the tax was remitted to Mr. Winrott. Its last Pastor was Rev. Mr. Anderson.

Seventh Day Adventists - The germ of this Society dates from a tent meeting held at Fayette in August, 1867, the services being conducted by Elders D. T. Bordeau and George R. Butler. At this time, the only professors of this faith in Fayette were D. R. Seeley and his wife, Ellen A. At this meeting, the accessions were Nason Hoyt and Byron Hoyt, of West Union, and Paulina Lippincott. Since that time, occasional services have been held by Elders Butler, C. A. Washburn and E. W. Farnsworth. The Society has eleven members, including Fayette. The Elders are Elisha Brigs, of Fayette, and Nason Hoyt, of West Union. The church has petitioned the Conference to hold the annual tent meeting for 1878 at Fayette.


West Union Lodge, U. D. - The earliest Masonic records of West Union Lodge have been mutilated. Eight or ten pages have been torn out, and it is impossible now to determine the precise date when the lodge was organized U. D. The first meeting of record was March 28, 1855, and several prominent citizens of West Union were raised. It is probable that the Lodge was organized in 1853-4, probably in 1852. The original members, so far as can be ascertained, were Charles A. Cottrell, J. B. Hollingshead, J. B. Hough, O. Somers, ____ Chamberlain and, presumably, C. A. Newcomb. Bro. Hough states that Charles A. Cottrell was the first W. M.; J. B. Hollingshead, S. W.; John Dorland, J. W.; O. Somers, Secretary; J. B. Hough, S. D.; John Williamson (from Elkader, who aided in organizing the Lodge), J. D.; J. F. Dorland, Tyler.

West Union Lodge, No. 69. - The charter of this Lodge bears date of June 5, 1856, with C. A. Cottrell, W. M.; J. B. Hollingshead, S. W.; John Dorland, J. W., and others of the Lodge, U. D., as charter members. The first officers under the charter were elected July 1, 1856, as follows: Henry Jones, W. M.; L. C. Noble, S. W.; John Dorland, J. W.; James F. Dorland, Treasurer; O. Somers, Secretary.

Masters from organization to 1878 - C. A. Cottrell, to July, 1856; Henry Jones, July, 1856-7; George Ogsbury, 1857-8; Thomas Cincaid, 1858-9; E. R. White, 1859-60; Robert Evans, 1860-1; George Ogsbury, 1861-5; William Cowle, 1865-70; L. L. Ainsworth, 1870-1; S. B. Zeigler, 1871-2; William Cowle, 1872-4; S. E. Robinson, 1874-5; James S. Wright, 1875.

Secretaries - O. Somers to 1857; Judson Hale, 1857-8; S. S. Seeley, 1858-9; John S. Sampson, 1859-60; S. B. Zeigler, 1860-1; William Cowle, 1862-4; Joseph Hobson, 1864-5; Mark Gilbert, 1865-6; C. H. Miller, 1866-9; H. B. Hoyt, 1869-70; C. H. Talmadge, 1870-4; A. N. Hobson, 1874-5; W. N. Hodgkenson, 1875-6-7; C. H. Talmadge, 1877.

Officers of 1878 - J. S. Wright, W. M.; A. C. Gunsalus, S. W.; G. D. Darnell, J. W.; John S. Sampson, Treasurer; C. H. Talmadge, Secretary; S. S. Sanford, S. D.; J. P. Parrott, J. D.; D. Vermilya, S. S.; L. B. Dershan, J. S.; Thomas Cox, Tiler. Membership in 1878 - sixty-two.

I. O. of O. F.

Round Grove Lodge, I. O. of O. F., was organized July 26, 1852, by D.D.G.M. Thos. B. Dripps, assisted by B. H. Fox, with the following charter members: Wm. McClintock, Clark Newcomb, Edwin Montgomery, Joseph H. Dripps, A. W. Dripps. The following first officers were elected: N. G., Wm. McClintock; V. G., L. R. Miller; R. S., Joseph N. Dripps; Treasurer, Edwin Montgomery. The following gentlemen were admitted at the first meeting: M. V. Burdick, H. S. Brunson, Thos. Woodle, George A. Cook, John Cook and P. L. Hinkley. Like many other organizations and associations that fell during the last war, Round Grove Lodge succumbed to the inevitable, and surrendered its charter about 1864. However, in 1871, upon petition of Wm. McClintock, D. M. Hoyt, D. Winrott, S. B. Zeigler, R. Gilbert and L. B. Dershan, the charter was returned and the re-organization effected by Orlando McCraney, G. M. of the State, Nov. 27, 1871, when the following officers were elected: N. G., H. Rickel; V. G., H. A. Stowe; R. S., Mark Gilbert; Treasurer, S. B. Zeigler; F. Y. Whitmore, V. G.; and W. A. Chase, R. S., to fill vacancy. Its N. G.'s have been: in 1872, F. Y. Whitmore; 1873, D. Winrott and F. Y. Whitmore; 1874, James Whillis and L. M. Whitney; 1875, M. M. Deppe and P. L. Hinkley; 1876, S. Holton and D. F. Bushnell; 1877, D. W. Clements and G. L. Abbott; 1878, J. Holmes.

V. G.'s: 1872, D. Winrott; 1873, D. W. Redfield and James Whillis; 1874, L. M. Whitney and M. M. Deppe; 1875, James Stewart and S. Holton; 1876, D. F. Bushnell and D. W. Clements; 1877, A. E. Winrott and James Holmes; 1878, S. R. Haines.

R. S.'s: 1872, L. M. Whitney; 1873, A. E. Winrott and W. A. Chase; 1874, M. M. Deppe and James Stewart; 1875, E. H. Kinyon and D. F. Bushnell; 1876, D. W. Clements and A. E. Winrott; 1877, M. Peck and S. R. Haines;; 1878, T. D. Reeder. Treasurers: 1872 till July, '74, Samuel Holton; July, 1875, E. H. Kinyon; July, 1876, James Holmes; July, 1877, M. Peck till July, 1878, present incumbent.

West Union Encampment - Organized in 1873; its charter is dated Oct. 22, 1873, and bears the following names: F. Y. Whitmore, W. H. Chase, A. E. Rich, D. Winrott, D. M. Hoyt, J. L. Davis, O. P. Miller, L. M. Whitney, D. W. Redfield. The following officers were elected: C. P., F. Y. Whitmore; H. P., O. P. Miller; S. W., David Winrott; J. W., John L. Davis; L. L., M. Whitney; Treasurer, D. M. Hoyt. Present officers are: C. P., F. Y. Whitmore; H. P., David Winrott; S. M., M. Deppe; S. W., Thos. Cox; J. W., T. D. Reeder; Treasurer, David Winrott.

A. O. of U. W.

West Union Lodge, No. 25, was instituted April 19, 1875, with fifteen charter members, as follows: B. Morse, C. M. Lockwood, J. D. Neff, C. H. Talmadge, H. C. Warner, A. G. Schermerhorn, James Stewart, A. S. Barnes, H. A. Holmes, W. N. Hodgkinson, C. A. Dorland, Geo. Ogsbury, S. E. Robinson, A. E. Winrott and J. J. Welsh. The first officers were: Geo. Ogsbury, P. M. W.; B. Morse, M. W.; H. A. Holmes, G. F.; A. G. Schermerhorn, O.; H. C. Warner, Recorder; J. D. Neff, Financier; S. E. Robinson, Receiver; C. A. Dorland, Trustees. Present officers: J. H. Lakin, P. M. W.; Mark Gilbert, M. W.; A. C. Gunsalus, Foreman; Chas. Woodard, Overseer; C. M. Lockwood, Recorder; F. Y. Whitmore, Financier; Wm. Huyck, Receiver; C. W. Hodgkinson, Guide; G. W. Gilbert, I. W.; Wharles Winrott, O. W. Present membership about fifty.

I. O. of G. T.

West Union Lodge, No. 126, was organized in 1858, and the following were the only officers that can now be ascertained: P. W. C., H. N. Hawkins; W. C., S. W. Cole; W. V., Margaret Parrott. Its charter members were I. F. Clark, A. L. Clark, S. W. Cole, M. H. Cole, Benj. Morse, Margaret Parrott, Louis Brown, Catherine Brown, H. N. Hawkins, Henry Reber, Henry Rickel, Lucretia Hinkley. After a desperate struggle for life, the Lodge finally succumbed and yielded up its charter in the Winter of 1868 and '9.

West Union Lodge, No. 671

This Lodge was organized July 20, 1874, at the office of the Fayette County Union, with the following charter members: Henry Rickel, Frank McClintock, B. Morse, Frank Clark, George Harper, Theo. Freer, H. B. Warner, John Sampson, Mrs. Susan Rickel, Mrs. Freer, Lillian M. Rickel and Mrs. Sarah E. Morse. The Lodge was organized by Amos Jones, G. W. C. T., of Iowa. First officers were: C. P., B. Morse; W. V. T., Mrs. S. Rickel; W. R. S., Frank McClintock; W. F. S., H. C. Warner; W. T., George Harper; W. M., John Sampson; W. G., Frank Clark. Its last officers were: W. C. T., Ella Whitney; W. V. T., Lizzie Mulligan; W. S., Allie Green; W. F. S., Lula Morse; W. T., L. Gilbert; W. C., Augusta Jordan; W. M., C. A. Johnson; W. I. G., Frank Blank. This lodge met with the same fate as the first, and surrendered its charter in March, 1877.

Fire Department

Early in the centennial year (1876), the Town Council, appreciating the necessity of some organized means of protection in the event of fire, issued a call for a meeting of citizens at Mayor Rickel's office, for the purpose of organizing a fire department. Accordingly, about sixty interested citizens met and elected the following officers: Chief of Department, John Cook; Secretary, L. M. Whitney; Treasurer, J. A. Hoyt. The Mayor and John Cook then went to Chicago and purchased a chemical engine and hook and ladder wagon of the Babcock Manufacturing Company, and the following officers were appointed to man the respective machines: Engine: Foreman, D. Winrott; 1st Ass't Foreman, W. E. Welsh. Hook and Ladder Wagon: Foreman, James Green; 1st Ass't Foreman, Frank Crane. This virtually made two companies, and but one organization, and the next year the leading spirits, recognizing the importance of two organizations, effected a dissolution of the old organization at a meeting held August 24, and notified the Town Council to that effect. Thereupon, the Council appointed a committee of six charter members, three from each division, as an organizing committee, and the following is the result of their labors:

Engine Company, No. 1. - Organized Dec. 19, 1877. The following officers elected: Foreman, L. M. Whitney; First Assistant Foreman, W. M. McNally; Secretary, F. Hobson; Treasurer, M. L. Smith. They are the present officers.

West Union Hook and Ladder Company - Organized Dec. 12, 1877. The following officers elected on the 27th: Foreman, B. H. Holmes; First Assistant Foreman, D. O. Smith; Second Assistant Foreman, E. Sibert; Secretary, G. H. German; Treasurer, A. C. Gunsalus. They are the present officers. The town built them an engine house in 1876, and in May, 1878, raised it up and added a fine hall. They are now, after passing through various vicissitudes, in a prosperous and harmonious condition.



back to Fayette Home