Join Our Team
Fayette County, Iowa
Portrait & Biographical Album of Fayette County Iowa
Containing Full Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of
Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County
Lake City Publishing Co., Chicago
John Lehman, Jr.
In the usual manner of farmer lads our subject spent the days of his boyhood and youth and in the common schools acquired his education. He was about nineteen years of age when he came to this county, and under the parental roof he remained until his marriage, which was celebrated September 4, 1858. His wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Kohler, was born in the same neighborhood as our subject on the 12th of April, 1839, and is a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Blank) Kohler. In 1854 she came to the United States with her father and four of her brothers, her mother having died in Switzerland when she was a small child. To Mr. and Mrs. Lehman have been born ten children: John W., who is engaged in the hardware business in Elgin with his uncle Christian; Louisa, wife of George Klock, a resident of Fayette; Lena, who resides in Santa Cruz, Cal.; Albert who died at the age of three and a half years; George, Frederick, Celia, Ella, Julia and Amelia.
In political sentiment Mr. Lehman is a stanch Democrat and has held a number of minor offices, the duties of which he faithfully discharged. He was Tax Collector one year, Township Clerk for ten years, and was a School Director for two terms. Having followed farming until 1872, he abandoned that pursuit and removed to Elgin, where he has engaged in the lumber business continuously. He is also a stockholder and a director in the Elgin Iowa Canning Company, one of the leading industries in that place. Mr. Lehman started in life without capital but he worked his way steadily upward; he made and improved a good farm, has now a flourishing business in Elgin and is numbered among the leading and enterprising citizens in this part of the county.
back to Fayette 1891 Biography Index
back to Fayette Biography Directory
back to Fayette County home