EMMET AND DICKINSON COUNTIES 393
which they believed lived beneath the waters. The first settlers in the
county built a raft which they used in crossing the narrow passages, but
later canoes were constructed. One was built at Okoboji by W. B. Brown
and Lawrence Furber, and another at Center Grove by R. U. Wheelock
and Lewis Hart. They were made from basswood logs, about twelve feet
in length. After the construction of the saw-mill several row boats were
made from lumber.
Perhaps the first real sail boat on the lakes was the "Martha Washington,"
built by a man named Benedict, who stayed at Crandall's. Lillywhite
also constructed a sail boat, which he called the "Old Tub." Zina
Henderson, of Okoboji, built one named the "Lady of the Lake." By 1876
there were enough sail boats on the lakes to warrant the holding of races.
Much interest was aroused by these contests. Among the participants
were: The "Old Tub," William Lillywhite, Owner, and L. M. Waugh,
captain; the "Martha Washington," 0. Crandall, owner, and R. L. Wilcox,
captain; the "Lady of the Lake," Henry Baxter and Zina Henderson; the
"Little Red Wagon," A. A. Mosher, owner and captain; "Queen of the
West," J. F. Hall; "Okoboji Star," George Chase. The "Old Tub" proved
to be the best boat in the races, although the "Martha Washington" was a
close second. The "Foam" owned by T. J. Francis, the "Swan" by James
F. Hall, and the "Petrel" by the Hendersons were subsequent sail boats
placed on the lakes. The "Foam" bore the reputation of being the fastest
boat on the lakes and easily captured the races in which she was entered.
The first steam boat on the lakes was the "Favorite," built to carry
about thirty passengers. This boat was built on the Cedar River, and
was later shipped to Okoboji and placed in charge of John Hackett, for
the purpose of carrying passengers between Arnold's Park and Spirit
Lake. For several years this was the only steamer on the lakes. In 1882
the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad Company transported
a steamer called the "Alpha" from Burlington and placed it on Spirit
Lake. This boat was succeeded by the "Queen" and the former taken to
East Okoboji for passenger service.
In 1882 Captain May of Minneapolis made preparations to build the
largest steamer yet afloat on the lakes. He was backed in his enterprise
by the Milwaukee Railroad. The boat was over eighty feet in length and
named the "Ben Lennox." The boat was launched in July, 1884. The
"Queen" on Spirit Lake was built about the same time by the Burlington,
Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad Company. She was built of iron and
carried about 250 passengers. The "Hiawatha," built by Captain Kendall
on East Okoboji, was launched about this time also. This boat could easily
carry eighty passengers. The "Lelia," the "River Queen," the "Huntress"
and the "Iowa" were shortly placed in service on the lakes. The "Okoboji"
was built in 1900; the "Irma" in 1898; the "Orleans" in 1896; the "R. J.
394 EMMET AND DICKINSON COUNTIES
Hopkins" in 1896; and the "River Queen" in 1890. The large steamer
"Sioux City" was built and launched on West Okoboji in June, 1911.
Small sailing boats, motor launches and other craft are numerous on
all the lakes at the present time. A boat of some kind is in the possession
of practically every cottager, from the small fishing craft propelled by
oars to the multiple horse-power motor launch used for pleasure and for