370 EMMET AND DICKINSON COUNTIES
However, the paper is still published weekly and is a creditable paper. The
present editor of the Herald is 0. B. Congdon.
OTHER SPIRIT LAKE NEWSPAPERS
Several times there have been attempted the publication of other
papers in the city of Spirit Lake, but for diverse reasons these attempts
have been unproductive of success.
The first attempt at instituting another paper after the Beacon was
established was in 1880, when Carl Eastwood started the Dickinson County
Journal. It was a republican sheet. In 1884 the Eastwood brothers, then
proprietors, sold the plant to J. 0. Stewart. Mr. Stewart made the paper
an editorial success, but a financial failure, and in 1885 the paper went
into the hands of C. H. Ayers and A. F. Heath, who changed its name and
politics, entitling it the Spirit Lake Democrat. Heath was at that time
postmaster. The paper, notwithstanding the fact that it had the support
of the administration, soon became heavily in debt and was sold at sheriff's
sale. The paper later came into the hands of G. A. Getchell, familiarly
known as Huckleberry. He conducted the paper under the name of
Huckleberry's Paper. He acquired the paper in the summer of 1887 and
suspended in the fall, a sufficient proof of the financial difficulties
experienced by a second paper here.
Near the year 1890 V. B. Crane purchased the outfit which had been
used by the Democrat, Journal and Huckleberry's Paper and established
the Spirit Lake Pilot. After a year's precarious existence in Spirit Lake
he decamped to Jackson, taking the plant with him.
In December, 1891, Messrs. Caswell and Clark brought a new press
and type to Spirit Lake and attempted a revival of the Spirit Lake
Democrat. At the end of four months they called quits and suspended.
The first newspaper in the town of Milford was the Milford Mail, the
first number of which was issued December 29, 1882, by J. A. Smith,
formerly of the Spirit Lake Beacon.
Before Mr. Smith had issued a complete volume of the Mail he sold
out to R. B. Nicol, who held it until 1886, then disposing of the plant to
E. G. Blackert. After a short time Blackert resold the paper to Nicol.
In May, 1898, George Sherburne and W. T. Davidson purchased the Mail
from Mr. Nicol and operated the paper until September, 1899, when
Davidson sold his interest to E. E. Heldridge.
A newspaper called the Milford Sentinel was started by the firm of
Bryant & Smith in 1896. The paper suspended publication in May, 1898.
In September, 1898, R. B. Nicol started the Milford Monitor, which he
EMMET AND DICKINSON COUNTIES 371
published until September, 1900, when the Mail bought the subscription
list and the material was transported to Fostoria, where it was used in
the starting of the Fostoria Record.
LAKE PARK PAPERS
The Lake Park News was established in 1890 by A. B. Chrysler. The
first number was issued on September 1 of that year. In 1897 J. D. Flint
and H. C. Darland bought the newspaper plant and operated it for about
two years, when they sold it back to Chrysler.
The Terrill Tribune was established in 1899 by E. Taylor and John
Hayden. At the end of the first year Hayden bought out Taylor's interest
in the paper.
The Superior News was established about 1890 by F. Finch. The paper
was published until the year 1897, when the plant was destroyed by fire.