The Lake Region Blue Book and Club|
Directory of Spirit Lake and Vicinity
Published: Circa 1906
Digest Number 3
THE SPIRIT LAKE WOMAN'S CLUB.
WOMAN'S CLUB PRESIDENTS.
The Woman's Club of this place was organized in 1901, and was federated with I. F. W. C. in the same year. The Club began its career under very favorable auspices, with Mrs. H. E. Howe as president.
The list of members included the ladies identified with the history and progress of the town, thus affording a guarantee for the stability and worth of the movement.
The Woman's Club has not confined itself exclusively to the cultivation of the intellect, realizing fully that there are other matters pertaining to the welfare of the home, the town and community at large, possessing urgent claims to the consideration of the thoughtful woman of today.
A broadening comprehension of the value of practical matters is manifest in the selection of such topics as household economics, child study, nature study, etc., in the course of study marked out from year to year. The Club has also, from time to time, lent a generous and willing hand in aid of the Library movement.
Though the personal of the club has changed somewhat, as is natural, Its impetus onward and forward is not impeded, the members working with good will and in harmony toward higher ideals.
Following is a list of presidents: Mrs. H. E. Howe, Mrs. W. C. Booth, Mrs. E. L. Brownell, Mrs. L. E. Francis, Mrs. W. F. Carlton.
Club colors, pink and white; Club flower, carnation.
Club Motto: In great things, unity, In small things, liberty.
In all things, charity. (Signature) J. O. C.
MRS. W. F. CARLTON.
1 Mesdames H. E. Howe, 2 E. L. Brownell, 3 L. E. Francis, 4 W. F. Carlton.
THE P. E. O. OF SPIRIT LAKE.
THE PAST PRESIDENTS OF THE P. E. O.
Chapter B. E. of P. E. O. was organized November 1, 1897, by Mrs. Julia Robinson, of Waterloo, at that time state organizer. She was ably assisted by the officers of the Spencer Chapter, who, as trains did not run conveniently, braved a long, cold ride to send B. E. on its way rejoicing.
The Charter members were Mrs. Merryfield, Mrs. Dexheimer, Mrs. Slattery, Mrs. Stowe, Mrs. Hayward, Mrs. Keiser, Mrs. Fountain and, Mrs. Sully. Mrs. Hayward was first president, followed by Mrs. Keiser. Mrs. Dexheimer, Mrs. Slattery, Mrs. Booth and Mrs. Davidson. Mrs. Davidson is our president now, having just been unanimously re-elected. Of all the thirty initiated members, eleven have been lost by removal and two by dimit to other Chapters. Sorrow has touched us once. Though at the time of her tragic death Mrs. Nellie Fountain was a member, by dimit, of a Des Moines chapter, she was one of our Charter members and ably bore her part in the earlier, and harder years. Faithful to every trust, and always genial and kindly. Her loss by removal was much regretted and her death sincerely mourned. Chapter B .E. appreciates its exceptional facilities for meeting P. E. O's from many chapters.
A number have homes on West Okoboji and Spirit Lake, and many others visit the resort each season.
Visiting P. E. O's are cordially invited to attend any of our meetings.
MRS. WM. HAYWARD.
1 Mesdames Wm Hayward, 2 W. F. Dexheimer, 3 S. Keiser, 4 P. R. Merryfield, 5 W. P. Slattery, 6 W. C. Booth, 7 W. T. Davidson.
L. B. U. CLUB,
1 Mesdames John A. Miller, 2 A. M. Johnson, 3 L. H. Farnham, 4 H. A. Miller, 5 B. B. VanSteenburg, 6 C. T. Chandler, 7 P. E. Narey, 8 C. H. Copley, 9 C: E. Narey, 10 C. G. Blackert, 11 W. T. Stapleton, 12 Miss Alice Crandall, 13 Mrs. E. C. McGrew, 14 Mrs. A. F. Bergman.
THE BERGMAN HOMESTEAD.
My grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Peter Bergman, came in the autumn of 1869 from Hanover., Germany, settling where we live now, leaving a .good home in their native land and finding upon their arrival a log cabin with a ground floor. They remodeled this so it was very comfortable. In 1882 built the large frame house which is still our home. My papa's name is George Bergman. My grandmother will be 88 this summer. Our climate can't be beat. Any one looking for gold mines can find them right here by sjinply rolling up their sleeves.
THE CATHOLIC SOCIETY OF SPIRIT LAKE.
Unlike the greater number of Northwestern lowans, the early Catholics of the vicinity in and about Spirit Lake were of French and Canadian extraction instead of Irish, however, the sturdy Irish reinforced their limited ranks in later years and proved loyal supporters of their faith.
The first priests who attended the spiritual wants of these pioneers, journeyed from Fort Dodge. In the early seventies Father J. J. Smith, the veteran priest of Emmetsburg, then the only priest in Northwestern Iowa, made periodical visits and gathering a few of his people together, celebrated mass in their homes. The services were most frequently held in the home of Olive Sarazine.
In 1881 Rev. M. K. Norton, the only resident priest ever living in Spirit Lake, was stationed here and given charge of the surrounding parishes. In the spring of 1882 Father Norton and a few of his parishioners, collected $1500 to build a church. A beautiful plat of ground, situated North Hill street, was generously donated by B. B. VanSteenburg, Sr., and upon this site the modest, little white church was erected.
Father Norton remained in Spirit Lake until 1887 when he was succeeded by Rev. L. Carrol of Spencer. The same priest attended Spencer, Milford and Spirit Lake until 1898 when the Spirit Lake parish was. placed in charge of Rev. M. R. Daly of Estherville.
For two years this good man worked faithfully and lovingly among his people. In December, 1900, he wras called by his Divine Master to his eternal home, leaving sorrow to Catholics and non-Catholics alike.
His brother, the present incumbant, Rev. John R. Daly, took immediate charge after the death of Father Michael.
The Spirit Lake Congregation consists of about twenty-five families.
Services are held every third Sunday in the month. In summer-the hour is 9:30, in winter 10:30.
Sunday school is immediately after mass on Sunday.
MRS. T. E. BURT,
North Anna Street,
Spirit Lake, Iowa..
ARNOLD'S PARK, IOWA.
Where canoes once glided sail and steamboats and numerous water-craft rest upon the bosom of the gleaming waters. But there are still the mighty and magnificent oaks, the hill and vale, the bright and sparkling waters of West Okoboji Lake, unchangable in its beauty. Beautiful indented shores, sandy beaches, unchangable, the gem of all the lakes.
Mr. Arnold passed away on the 20th day of October, 1905, leaving his widow, Eunice E. Arnold, his three daughters, Ella A. Stevens, Hattie A. Sanford and Mabel Barden to mourn his loss. By energy and foresight and enterprise and a force of will interspersed with a spirit of bounteous hospitality he built up the vast summer resort business of Arnold's Park. He has seen it grow from a tangled wild wood to its present immensity. Arnold's Park, with its concessions, will be kept intact and the heirs will continue in charge of the operating and running of the Park, endeavoring to keep it to a high standard.
V. A. ARNOLD.
IN A SCHOOLHOUSE DURING A THREE DAYS BLIZZARD OF JANUARY 1873, IN THE TUSCULUM DISTRICT.
The morning of January 9th (ever to be remembered by those who endured the horrors of that storm) dawned bright and beautiful, a perfect winters day — so warm that children went to school with half their usual wraps, as every one that had business from home went — many never to return home alive. At noon it was warm and balmy, at 1 P. M. no child could venture out.
Burgess Jones, our teacher, went as his wife was sick. We children — about twenty — staid, and Mrs. Loomis (dear old woman), the nearest neighbor, sent us a dish pan full of pan cakes piping hot wrapped in a quilt to keep them warm and a roll of butter. Never was feast so good. On Friday morning the sun was clear and bright so that we made our way home much to the surprise and joy of our parents who had given us up for dead.
ELLA ABBOTT ARTHUR.
THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
E. Winslow Brown.
Dr. L. M. VanBuren, J. W. Laird, J. R. Leeman, A. J. Swanson, H. B. Sherk, W. F. Beerman, L. M. Slagle.
E. L. Francis, J. Lindquist, Dr. C. S. Shults.
Rev. Harlan, Pastor.
Glad Tidings Circle. Mrs. N. Robinson, President. Mrs. John Webb, Vice. President. Mrs. M. M. Snow, Treasurer, Mrs. E. Garrison, Secretary.
Mrs. Mary Barrett.
Mrs. Jennie Diebner.
Mrs. Jennie Eychaner.
Mrs. A. L. Folsom.
Mrs. E. Garrison.
Mrs. Lottie Hafer. Mrs. Q. Harlan
Mrs. Eliza Jenkins.
Mrs. Abbie Lewis.
Mrs. Mary Pollard.
Mrs. N. R. Robinson.
Mrs. M. M. Snow. Mrs. Cleve Stillwell. Mrs. Ed. Stillwell. Mrs. Henry Schuneman.
Mrs. John Webb. Mrs. Lillian Webb.
Mrs. C. A. Yarns.
Contributed by Sheryl McClure
DICKINSON COUNTY MAIN PAGE