Gebhard Schupp, who has long contributed to the industrial prosperity and activity of Burlington as a skilled mechanic, was born Aug. 18, 1861, in Baden, Germany, a son of Carl Schupp, who died Sept. 6, 1892, aged fifty-six years, and Paulina (Denz) Schupp, now residing in Bonndorf, Baden, at the age of fifty-nine years. His education was begun in the public schools, from which he was graduated, and finished by a two-years’ course in a commercial college. On leaving school he took up and learned the trade of tinner. Being of an enterprising disposition, however, he abandoned this, and in 1884 came to America, landing at the port of Philadelphia, where he tarried for a week and then came to Burlington.
In this city Mr. Schupp was first employed in the Murray Iron Works for a period of one year, being employed in the wood-working department. At the end of that time he engaged with the Burlington Embalming and Casket Company, having charge of a shaping machine and at this occupation he remained for the long term of nineteen years.
Mr. Schupp continued with the Casket Company till Nov. 1, 1904, when he resigned and engaged in business for himself. At that time he opened a cigar and tobacco store at 520 Jefferson Street, where he carries a fine line of pipes, cigars, and tobacco and smokers’ materials, papers, magazines, and stationery, also prayer-books, rosaries, and like supplies. Being a skilled mechanic, he has also in connection a repair shop, where he does all kinds of repairing, including amber and meerschaum work, and the coloring of meerschaum pipes, having the only establishment of the kind in the city.
On May 20, 1890, he married Miss Wilhelmina Snyder, who was born in Fort Madison, Lee county, Iowa, Dec. 20, 1856, beginning her education in that city, and finishing at the Convent of Notre Dame, Milwaukee, Wis. Mrs. Schupp is the daughter of Lawrence and Jacobine (Schmidtle) Snyder, the former of whom died Oct. 6, 1897, aged seventy-six years and eight months, and the mother, Feb 17, 1904, in her seventy-sixth year. They have three sons: Lawrence, born June 7, 1891; Joseph, born Aug 24, 1895; and Leo, born May 13, 1898. He built at 985 Washington Street in 1894, where he has since resided.
Mr. Schupp is a Democrat in his political belief and affiliation, and fraternally was for a time a member of the Knights of Labor. He is identified with St. John’s Catholic church, of which he is one of the most loyal and liberal supporters. He holds high rank as a mechanic, as a citizen, and as a man, and has a great number of friends who testify to his eminent worth.