RELIGIOUS AND FRATERNAL BODIES
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
On Sunday, August 29, 1869, Rev. Daniel Russell,
assisted by Rev. Mr. Campbell organized the society known
as the First Presbyterian Church, with the following
charter members: Mrs. Mary A. Russell, Mrs. Gracia
Russell, Henry Russell, W. G. Field, John W. Gutherie,
Mrs. E. B. Marriott, D. G. Eldridge, Mrs. W. A. Eldridge,
Henry F. Hamblin, Sanford R. Grow, Eldridge, Mrs. AV. A.
Eldridge. Tienry P. Hamblin,, Sanford R. Grow. Mrs. H.
Grow, Mr. and Mrs. George Truby and Mrs. Melsin. The first
meetings were held on the third floor of the Burnside
Building, now the Globe Hotel. In time, however, this
proved inadequate and a house of worship was erected, this
being dedicated January 8, 1871. This building served its
purpose for ten years but in 1880 was replaced by a more
commodious house of worship, which was dedicated free of
debt on the last Sunday in December of that year. This
building was erected at a cost of $5,000 and is still
serving the congregation.
Gifts of funds by the late
Rev. Daniel Russell, D. D., and of residence property by
his daughter, the late Mrs. Grace R. Spangler, for a
manse, have brought to the church not only a beautiful and
much needed minister's home in the same block as the
church building, but a deep sense of gratitude and love to
the givers for these benefactions. The church entered upon
the consecrated use of these gifts in May, 1906. Mrs.
Spangler also bequeathed an endowment fund of $800, for
the upkeep of the minister's residence. The church has
efficient auxiliary societies and a membership of 117. The
average attendance at Sunday school is eighty
The pastors who have served
the church from the time of organization to the present
are: Revs. Daniel Russell, August, 1869-June, 1874; David
Street, November, 1874-November, 1875; Alvah Day,
December, 1875-June 1, 1876: William S. Pryse, January,
1877-April, 1879; James Frothingham, August, 1879-July,
1882; L. H. Mitchell: W. M. Evans. May, 1884-December 26.
1887; T. C. Potter, January, 1888-April, 1888; Owen Jones,
April, 1888-November, 1889: John B. Kaye, April 1,
1890-October 3, 1892; Robert Edgar, December 1, 1892-April
2. 1893; S. S. Hilscher, May 6, 1894-May 10, 1896; Charles
R. Hamilton, May 17, 1896-October 22, 1899; Charles A.
Highfield, March 1, 1900-March 30, 1902; Samuel K.
Kirkwood, May 11, 1902-March 31, 1904: William H. Ensign.
July 12. 1904-1913; Gray Jones Cardy. November 1. 1913-.
To the religious society pinning its faith to the tenets
of the Congregational faith must be ascribed the
distinction of inaugurating regular religious
ministrations in Manchester. To further this end came Rev.
A. Graves from Yankee Settlement, in the summer of 1855,
who preached the Word on alternate Sundays in the Acers
schoolhouse, at Delaware, and on the same days he held
services at Burrington (Manchester). There were about
fifteen houses in the future county seat at that time, and
church was held in an unfinished dwelling owned by S. R.
Grow. This building stood on the north side of Fayette
Street, between Tama and Bremer. In May, 1856, Rev. L. B.
Fifield took up pastoral labors here, and on August 3,
1856, the Congregational Church was regularly organized.
The original members were Rev. L. B. Fifield, Emily J.
Fifield, Peter Richardson, Lucinda C. Richardson, Sanford
R. Grow, Susan Grow, George Hartwell and Julia A.
Hartwell. The first sermon was preached by Rev. A. Graves
and the services were concluded with prayer by H. N.
Gates. For eight years thereafter services were held in
private houses, in the old brown schoolhouse, which stood
on the site of a brick school building which took its
place, and in Hulburt's Hall.
Early in the year 1864 a meeting was held in Burrington
Hall and it was there voted to proceed to build a house of
worship. A committee for the purpose, consisting of Rev.
A. T. Loring, S. R, Grow and S. T. Wheeler, was appointed.
On the 7th of September, 1864, the edifice was dedicated
by Rev. 0. W. Merrill, assisted by Rev. Hew de Bourek.
This structure cost about thirty-five hundred dollars, to
which the American Congregational Union contributed $300.
In 1873 a bell was installed at an expense of $515 and
from time to time improvements followed. The old building
answered its purposes well for several years and then
became inadequate to the increasing membership and
attendance. Consequently, in the year 1900, the present
beautiful brick temple of worship was erected and
dedicated on the 16th day of September of that year. A
pipe organ was also installed at the time, which was
replaced by another one in 1904. The church building cost
$10,000, and in its spacious auditorium was held, on
October 21, 22 and 23, 1906, impressive and interesting
services commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of the
church's establishment at Manchester. The program, among
other numbers, called for historical and reminiscent
addresses upon the following topics: Our Church, Mrs. P.
E. Triem; Pastors I Have Known, Deacon H. A. Granger;
Deacons As They Were, Deacon Fred S. Seymour; The Songs of
Other Days, Senator George W. Dunham; The Missionary
Society, Mrs. A. S. Blair; The Ladies' Aid Society, Mrs.
L. C. Brooks; The Young Ladies' Aid Society, Mrs. Horace
Atwater; The Ladies' Kensington, Mrs. W. J. Suckow; The
Men's League, M. F. LeRoy; Lights and Shadows of the Past,
S. L. Doggett.
The names of pastors who have administered to the
spiritual welfare of this congregation follow: L. B.
Fifield, 1856-60; A. T. Loring, 1860-66; Daniel Russell,
1866-67; A. A. Baker, 1867-69; E. R. Stiles, 1869-77; John
P. Barrett, 1877-80; B. T. Stafford, 1880-82; J. G.
Miller, 1882-88; H. W. Tuttle, 1889-1905;
W. J. Suckow. 1905-07: C. E. Lynde, 1907-08; Prank Moore,
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
The First Baptist Church of
Manchester was organized October 26, 1855, in the spring
of which year Manchester was laid out as a town. The
meeting for the purpose was held in a house that had just
recently been erected, on Fayette Street, by Ozias P.
Reeves, now owned by Miss Florence Bailey. The charter
members were Edson Merrill and wife, Elizabeth; Ozias P.
Reeves and wife, Almeda; John L. Baldwin and wife, Almira.
Edson Merrill was elected deacon and Ozias P. Reeves,
After the organization had been perfected, prayer meetings
were held at the homes of members but after the
school - house was built, which stood on the lot now occupied
by the Central school building, religious meetings were
held here not only by the Baptists but other
denominations, that is, whenever a minister came to town.
The First Baptist Church was
incorporated July 11. 1859, and that same year the
congregation called its first pastor. Rev. J. Y. Aitchison;
Mr. Aitchison preached here at the schoolhouse once in two
weeks. He also supplied the churches at Delaware and
Delhi, taking up his residence at the latter place.
For some years and up to 1872, the Baptists worshiped in
Burnside's Hall, Thorpe Hall and Marshall's Hall. In April
of the year mentioned a house of worship was begun, which
was dedicated on the first Sabbath in June. There was no
regular pastor at that time but several clergymen from
other churches were present and assisted in the dedicatory
services. There was not enough money subscribed to pay for
the indebtedness and $1,000 was borrowed from the Home
Mission Society, which was refunded after several years.
The first members received into the church after baptism
were Allen Love, Selden French, William McIntosh, and Jane
L. McIntosh, who is still a member.
The church building was remodeled and enlarged by an
addition in 1895, during the pastorate of Reverend Lusk.
While in course of its construction the use of the city
hall for services was kindly granted by the city council.
The rededication of the edifice took place September 22,
1895, at which time subscriptions were received amounting
to $1,925. The following week the Dubuque Baptist
Association convened at Manchester.
A comfortable residence for the parsonage, constructed at
a cost of $2,000, and standing on West Main Street, was
bequeathed to the church by Edward Sellens.
The church has had eighteen pastors, besides supplies. The
names of pastors follow: Revs. J. T. Aitchison, 1859; Ed
D. Phillips, 1865; M. Root, 1867; Dean. 1869: L. M. Newel.
1872; W. H. Irwin, 1874; L. M. Whiting. 1876; W. E.
Walker, 1882: J. Y. Aitchison, 1885; William Swinden,
1886; Fallis, 1887; R. J. Langridge, 1890; Pritchard,
1892; W. E. Adams, 1893; Lusk, 1894; Archie Caul, 1900:
Rumsey and Stevenson. 1905; H. R. McDonald. 1906.
This church established a
mission in Clayton County in 1871, from whence grew the
present organization of the church about 1891. Rev. Ira
Chase was the first pastor and among the original members
were the following named persons : Ziby Wheelock and wife,
Samuel Young and wife, Fred Dury and wife, — Steiger and
wife, Samantha Spitler, Louise and Julia Oakley, Ira and
Lydia Rowland. The first meetings were held in the
schoolhouse close by the present church, which was built
about one year after the organization of the society. A
few years thereafter a parsonage was erected—a two-story
frame building costing about one thousand dollars.
Reverend Chase remained here about two years, when he was
succeeded by Reverend Benton, whose term of service
covered a period of one year. He resigned to further
pursue his ministerial studies at college. As nearly as
can be ascertained from the memories of some of the older
members. Rev. Adelbert King was the next pastor. He
remained four years. His successors were Reverend Stice, a
year and a half; Reverend Moffatt. here on two occasions,
one year each; O. H. Harnish, two years; Reverend Smith,
two years; Reverend Bundy, part of one year; and the
present pastor, Rev. Ray Busenbarrick, still a student at
Cornell College. It should be here stated, however, that
Elder Ward occupied this pulpit about six months and two
pastors of the gentler sex also served this charge. One of
them was Rev. Miss Donnie Minton who was here two years.
The auxiliary societies are the Ladies' Aid and Foreign
Mission. The membership of the church is about forty,
average attendance at Sabbath school, twenty-five.
The Universalist Chureli at Manchester sprang from a
sermon delivered in 1859, by Reverend Dennis, of Dubuque,
in Burrington's Hall. It was an incentive to the few
people of that faith living here at the time to make an
effort toward the organization of a Universalist society.
But they were not successful until the winter of 1864,
when arrangements were made with Rev. Joy Bishop to preach
every alternate Sunday, the meetings being held in the
Congregational Church until the summer of 1865. Not being
able, through lack of numbers, to employ a pastor, no
regular religious services were held by the society until
in the spring of 1868, when Belknap's Hall was secured and
Rev. Henry Jewell organized the church on the 20th of
June. 1868. Reverend Jewell remained here as pastor until
September, 1869. The society was incorporated May 4, 1869,
and those signing the articles were Clark Bliss, Sr.,
Thomas Toogood, H. M. Congar, A. M. Sherwood, E. N.
Tomlinson, E. R. Congar, L. S. Bemis and E. Hoag. On May
10, 1869, after H. M. and E. R. Congar, Rev. Henry Jewell,
Thomas Toogood, Gilbert Yeoman, A. M. Sherwood, Hiram
Babcock, Jacob Hoag, T. Crosby, E. J. Congar, R. G.
Clifford., J. Gilbert and R. W. Tirrill had pledged
themselves to raise $5,000 for the purpose, the building
of a brick church edifice was commenced and completed May
7, 1871, at a cost of a little over $8,000. The dedicatory
services were conducted by Rev. J. W. Hanson, of Chicago.
E. R. Wood was the first regular pastor and remained here
from September, 1871, until September, 1873. He was
followed by Rev. J. W. Hicks, of Strawberry Point who
preached alternate Sundays for about six months. There was
then a period of three years when the church was inactive,
but finally E. R. Wood was induced to return in 1877, at
which time he reorganized the society. A Sunday school was
organized in 1864, with R. W. Tirrill as superintendent,
and the ladies society was established in 1867.
The Universalists kept up their organization and regular
services for several years and then dissolved. About three
years ago the church building, a good brick structure, was
leased to the Manchester Grange Society, during the life
of the Grange the consideration being that the Grange
should keep the building in good repair.
There has been for some time established in Manchester a
society of the Church of Christian Scientists, which holds
its readings in the lecture room of the public library.
The parish of St. Mary's was practically established in
1872. under Father P. J. Clabby's administration. In that
year subscriptions for building a church was begin and
work on the structure commenced by Father Clabby, and
continued under Rev. R. McGrath. The succeeding priest,
Rev. J. F. Nugent, who came in 1875, completed the
building, which still stands, a brick structure, located
on the south side of Butler, about a block west of
Franklin. The parish is now quite strong in the number of
people of the (Catholic faith, and render valiant
assistance to the energetic and eloquent pastor. Father T.
Rooney, who has been stationed here the past six years.
Near the church is a brick parsonage and a parochial
school, named St. Xavier. The pupils are taught by six
Sisters of Mercy.