SOUTH FORK TOWNSHIP
On the 2d day of January, 1849, North Fork Township was divided and a
new township created, which was named South Fork. It is civil township
87 north, range 3 west, and is bounded on the north by North Fork
Township, on the south by Jones County, on the west by Union Township,
and on the east by Dubuque County.
For agricultural purposes none better lies out of doors. All of its
timber is found on the western border, along the banks of the south fork
of the Maquoketa, which affords ample water and drainage. Corn, wheat,
rye, oats, potatoes, grasses, etc., grow to luxuriance here and the
raising of cattle for the market and dairying is a very profitable
industry of the community.
Theodore Marks was elected first clerk of South Fork Township and,
strange to say, his old minute book is still intact and a part of the
township records. The following extract from that historically valuable
old book may be of some interest:
"June 4, 1849. This day the trustees met pursuant to notice of May 28.
Present, the whole band and proceeded to business. Samuel Whitaker and
Barnabas Dighton were appointed supervisors and duly qualified. The
township was then divided into road districts. Samuel P. Whitaker,
supervisor of No. 1; Charles Ruff, No. 2; Barnabas Dighton, No. 3.
“ THEODORE MARKS,
From this primitive record the reader learns that the following named
persons, among others, were residents of the township in the '50s. Of
course, a number came before: James Barnes, Peter Heinan, Jacob Lanier,
Ira G. Green, Simeon Eller, Lerov Jackson, Allen A. Wilson, George
Rutherford, Daniel Livingston, Archibald Tate, William Morgan, Ebenezer
Culver, William Carpenter, A. A. Wilson, James L. Getten, Jacob
Diffenderfer, Sylvester Meade, James Hardesty, Thomas Mathers, Christian
Myers, George Connery, James Hardy, James P. Farmer, Joseph Porter, W.
P. Cunningham, Thomas Boy, John McQuig, G. R. Browder, John M. Holmes,
Franklin Lewis, Edmund Davis, Isaac Smith, Lewis Matthew, Peter H.
Warner, William Holt, I. C. McVey, Jerome T. Davis, A. Nash, G. J.
Bentley, William Ireland, John Livingston, H. P. Fletcher, Joseph Cool,
T. H. Bowen, Thomas Cearns, Ashford Smith, E. Baldwin, William A.
Roberts, J. Cadwell, James Harper, Andrew A. Lowe, William Spence, M.
Byington, R. M. Brooks, A. Kirkwood and W. H. Finley.
The first settlers in this township were James and Hugh Livingston and
Hugh Rose, who were of a party of emigrants from the Selkirk Colony in
Northern Canada. They settled at "Scotch Grove," in Jones County, in
1837, and were here joined by Hugh Livingston. The three named
adventurers came that year to Delaware County and located a short
distance below the present town site of Hopkinton. The Livingstons
entered land, improved farms and became men of influence in the church
and the community generally. They settled on sections 19 and 30 and made
the second claim in the county. In the winter of 1846-7, Hugh
Livingston, accompanied by a nephew, went to Cascade with his team, and
reaching the forks of the road the young men separated. However, when
Hugh's team reached home he was not in the wagon. The family at once
became alarmed and instituting a search, found him by the road side
quite dead; he had frozen to death.
The next to take up a habitation in South Fork were the Nicholsons,
Thomas, his wife, and sons, William and Montgomery Nicholson, who came
in the spring of 1838 and located near the Maquoketa River, on land
which is now a part of Hopkinton. Here they built a cabin and broke a
small piece of prairie. In the month of March the elder Nicholson was
laid low with a mortal malady and died.
Leroy Jackson was the third settler in this community. He was a man who
had spent his boyhood days on the Kentucky frontier and left that state
in 1833. He had served in the Black Hawk war and in the year above
mentioned settled in Dubuque, from whence he frequently traversed the
prairies of this section of country on hunting expeditions, being an
experienced trapper and hunter. While on one of these ventures, in the
spring of 1840, he came to the Nicholson cabin. There he learned of
Nicholson's death and also of the loneliness and dissatisfaction of the
widow. The latter, being willing to dispose of her possessions and leave
the country, Jackson bought her claim, thirty-five acres of which were
partially improved; and chattels, consisting of 160 bushels of wheat,
400 bushels of corn, two yoke of oxen, three cows, three young cattle,
two barrels of strained honey, taken from bee trees which were then
plentiful in the timber; a few hogs, a quantity of hay and other
articles. The consideration was $800, which Jackson practically paid in
full. The same fall he moved on to his purchase and eventually became
one of the leading men in Delaware County. Leroy Jackson, after buying
the Nicholson claim and chattels, returned to Dubuque and in the fall
brought his family, household goods and farming utensils to the new home
in the wilderness. Henry A. Carter was also a member of the party,
having been persuaded by Jackson to join him in the settlement. That
winter (1840-1) Jackson built a hewed log cabin for Carter, who took
possession of it in March, 1841. Soon after his family was established a
daughter, Sarah B., was born, the first birth in the community. In 1844,
Mrs. Carter passed away, and this was the second death. The second birth
was that of a son to Leroy Jackson, and the newcomer was named Henry C.
Jackson. In 1844, both these pioneers, Jackson and Carter, erected
sawmills: the first named on Plum Creek and the latter on the Maquoketa.
Six years later they laid out the Town of Hopkinton.
A word or two in relation to the efforts of Carter
and Jackson in building up a new country and from whence they came.
Leroy Jackson was born in Kentucky in 1804 and lived there until he was
twenty-two years of age. The year 1828 found him in Iowa. His chief
employment was as an Indian trader. It is said he built the first brick
house in Dubuque and kept the first hotel there. When he first came to
Delaware County on a hunting trip, he found about four hundred Indians
here. The year of his permanent settlement already has been stated. Mr.
Jackson took an active part in organizing the county and was its first
sheriff. He then for a number of years kept a hotel at Hopkinton; raised
a large family of children and accumulated several hundred acres of
H. A. Carter was born in Massachusetts in 1806. When twenty-eight years
of age he moved to St. Louis and two years later to Dubuque, where he
met Leroy Jackson. With his old friend he laid out the Town of Hopkinton
and in 1850 moved to Cedar Rapids. Three years later Mr. Carter was back
in Hopkinton, employing his time as a merchant. He built the first mill
in Hopkinton: also built the first bridge across the Maquoketa at that
place. He became an extensive hop grower and is credited with shipping
the first bale of the product from Iowa. Further, and greatly to his
renown, Mr. Carter was the originator (having first proposed it), of
Lenox College. No more energetic, forceful and valuable men have
identified themselves with the early history of Delaware County.
Duncan McCullom settled in the southeast part of the county near the
Livingstons in 1840.
Theodore Marks came here and entered a tract of land about three miles
northeast of Leroy Jackson's in 1841. He was first clerk of the township
after its organization in 1849.
S. M. Slausen was a settler in South Fork Township as early as 1851. He
occupied his time in farming for five years and then moved to Hopkinton.
Elliott M. Chapman, a native of New Hampshire, settled in South Fork
Township in 1858. He owned a fine tract of land, was active in the
affairs of his township and for several years served as trustee.
James Harper was one of the prominent men of South Fork Township. He was
a native of Pennsylvania and settled in South Fork Township in 1854, on
land which he had purchased.
Norman Luke left his native State of New York in 1857 and located in
South Fork Township, where he engaged in farming. In 1877 he went into
the livery business at Hopkinton. Luke quarry near the town is well
known in that section.
HOPKINTON LAID OUT
The Town of Hopkinton was laid out on the southeast quarter of section
13 in 1851 and the plat recorded December 29, 1851. The owners of the
land were Henry A. Carter and Leroy Jackson.
SOME EARLY CITIZENS
William H. Martin settled on Plum Creek in July, 1843, with his family
and engaged in farming. His father, William Martin, died here in 1876
and that same year William H. became a resident of Hopkinton and was
elected mayor in 1877.
William B. Morgan was born in New York State in 1830 and when fifteen
years of age removed with his parents to this county and settled near
Hopkinton. He learned carpentering and worked at his trade until 1861,
when he enlisted in the Civil war. He returned to Hopkinton and in 1863
entered the mercantile business. He was the first deputy sheriff
appointed and to complete the first jury panel he was compelled to
summon every voter in the county.
Isaac Smith moved on to a farm six miles west of Hopkinton in 1846. In
1855 he moved into the village when there were only two houses in
existence there. He paid his attention to farming and also worked at
carpentry. Mr. Smith was a member of Company F, Thirty-seventh Iowa, the
famous "Gray Beards” and served the county faithfully and well for four
years as sheriff.
James Hardy was born in the State of Virginia in 1816. When thirty years
of age he came from the State of Illinois to this county and located in
North Fork Township in 1846. He removed to Hopkinton in 1860. Mr. Hardy
was one of Delaware County's best citizens. He served on the first grand
jury impaneled in the county and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal
church almost a lifetime. He held several township offices.
The Littlefields came to South Fork Township in an early day and P. M.
Littlefield was born here in 1853. Hugh Livingston was also a son of a
pioneer. He was born in the township in 1844 and became a druggist at
F. W. Doolittle was born at Delhi, the son of Frederick B. Doolittle,
July 8, 1855, and became a member of the banking firm of Doolittle & Son
One of the first blacksmiths in Hopkinton was L. C. Tapping, who came
from Pennsylvania in 1856. His blacksmith shop was kept running until
about 1873, when he built the Central House and became its proprietor.
Among the early residents of Hopkinton was Peter H. Warner, who located
in the village in April, 1856. He served a clerkship in a general store
until his arrival in Hopkinton, when he went into business for himself.
He was postmaster at the village eight years and held other positions in
the township of trust and responsibility. Mr. Warner established the
first drug, dental, photographic and jewelry business at Hopkinton, and
called the first meeting held in the interests of the Davenport &
Northwestern Railway Company.
Gorham K. Nash was born in the State of Maine. He came to Delaware
County in the spring of 1856 and about two years thereafter located at
Hopkinton. His father, Amaziah Nash, located in Hopkinton in 1859 and
engaged in the wagon making business until his death in 1866. Gorham K.
is now a respected resident of Hopkinton. He served in Company K,
Twenty-first Iowa Infantry.
Alexander Kirkwood first saw the light of day in bonny Scotland,
immigrated to the United States in 1829 and lived for some years in New
York and Philadelphia, where he was engaged in piano making. He arrived
in Delaware County in 1856 and located in Hopkinton, where he engaged in
the furniture and undertaking business. Mr. Kirkwood served his adopted
country in the Civil war.
William Flude was a prominent figure in the educational field of music.
He was a native of England and came to the United States in 1857,
locating in Hopkinton as professor of music in the Bowen Collegiate
Institute, now known as Lenox College.
Robert G. Crawford was a pioneer merchant of Hopkinton. He was a native
of Pennsylvania and came to Delaware County in 1859 with his father, who
bore the same name, and located at Hopkinton, where he engaged in the
There was quite an influx of people seeking homes in this beautiful new
country in 1856. About this time appeared Rev. W. L. Roberts, a
clergyman of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, located here, preached
the Gospel to the scattered settlers and was a strong force in
persuading a number of his religious faith to become residents of
Hopkinton and the nearby farms.
J. H. Campbell was one of the early merchants. There were also Barker &
Campbell, general merchandise; A. Kirkwood, undertaker and furniture.
Other early merchants were C. E. Merriam & Company, Jo Bernard, P. O.
Joseph; Williamson & McBride, drugs; H. Livingston, drugs; J. G.
Wallace, hardware; restaurant, Charles Abbott; millinery, Misses M. & N.
Dawson; harness, C. F. Shimeal. P. H. Warner was a notary public here in
the '60s, so was M. Harmon; C. E. Reeve had a meat market, James
McArthur flour store, G. H. Crawford, W. P. Gerry and J. H. Williamson
early blacksmiths; John Dunlap, wagon maker; livery stables, N. Loop and
Lough & King; lumber, P. D. Smith.
The firm of Campbell & Williamson built an elevator in 1873. In 1863 the
elevator at Sand Springs was moved to Hopkinton by John Stevenson.
Dr. W. H. Finley was one of the first physicians to take up the practice
in Delaware County, coming to Hopkinton in 1859 and opening an office.
The Davenport & St. Paul Railroad, now the Chicago, Milwaukee & St.
Paul, was completed and running trains through Hopkinton in 1872. The
first station master was A. F. Stickney. The advent of railroad
transportation facilities gave Hopkinton a spur to advance and the town
took on new life and added importance. About a year ago a beautiful new
depot was erected, to replace the old one.
James H. Bowen, who came here in 1855, saw the land was adapted to the
raising of broom corn, which led him to induce Samuel Dickerson to join
him in the manufacture of brooms on the Bowen land near Hopkinton. A
crop of broom corn was raised in 1856, which was worked into brooms in
an establishment, having necessary machinery, built by Bowen &
Dickerson. Shortly after others took up the industry and followed it
Disputes and tragedies were frequent even in the days of pioneering. It
is said, in this relation, that on December 2, 1864, Morris Martin and
George Crozier, of this township, quarreled and fought over a small
quantity of oats. In the encounter Martin stabbed Crozier, one of the
wounds being in the heart, from which the man died. Martin spent five
years in the penitentiary in partial expiation of his crime.
Another crime was committed here while Hopkinton was yet in its infancy.
Edward Kennedy, who lived a few miles west of town, was shot while
preparing his evening meal, by John Duncan. Kennedy, an old man, was
found the next morning lying dead on his kitchen floor. Duncan was
arrested on suspicion and remanded for trial.
Theodore Marks was the first township clerk and later became justice of
the peace. He was a unique character in some respects, as his township
record and the following marriage certificate will attest:
EVERYBODY COULD NOT ATTEND
"I hereby certify that on the 20th day of February, A. D., 1851, at the
house of William Dighton, in Delhi Township, Delaware County, Iowa, in
the presence of the above named William Dighton and his wife, his
father, two brothers, two sisters, one brother-in-law, one
sister-in-law, three step-children, several of his own children, nephews
and nieces, friends and acquaintances, neighbors, etc., I joined in the
holy bonds of matrimony Mr. Anthony McGarvey, of Scott County, Iowa,
aged 24 years, and Miss Mary Ann Morgan, stepdaughter to the above
mentioned William Dighton, of this county, aged 18 years.
"Given under my hand this 20th day of February, A. D. 1851.
"Justice of the Peace, South Fork Township, Delaware County, Iowa.
"P.S.—The streams being up very high, everybody could not attend. The
undersigned had to travel sixteen miles extra to get home. T. M."
Bowen Collegiate Institute was founded in the year 1865 by certain of
the citizens of Hopkinton. and was named in commemoration of C. T.
Bowen, of Chicago, who liberally contributed to its initiatory funds.
The institution was subsequently named Lenox College, and its
interesting history, written by President Reed, will be found on other
pages of this volume.
F. E. Williamson established the present brickyard about twenty years
ago and it is now in his hands.
Archibald Tate established a brickyard almost on the same site as the
present one, fifty years ago. The college, churches and many old
buildings were of brick got there.
INCORPORATION OF HOPKINTON
Hopkinton’s growth was gradual and substantial. The town was a good
trading point and by the year 1874 there wore about three hundred and
fifty people within its borders. A number of enterprising men were
engaged in different lines of business, good schools were in operation,
the institute was on a sure footing, church edifices were to be seen and
the commercial, educational and religious aspect was pleasant and
satisfactory. Transportation facilities had been greatly enhanced and
the prospects were so flattering that the leading men of the community
felt the time had arrived for independence from township government.
This led to a successful movement for incorporation.
At an election in Lathrop’s Hall, March 3, 1874, the question of
incorporation was submitted to the electorate. The poll showed that 132
votes were cast and that 92 votes were in favor of separating the
village organization from the township. To perfect the incorporation and
carry out the will of the majority, as expressed at the polls, an
election was held for town officers, at Lathrop Hall, March 26, 1874,
and the following persons were chosen: Mayor, Isaac Smith; clerk. John
A. M. Hall; trustees, Charles Lathrop, James McArthur, H. A. Carter,
James T. Williamson, G. H. Crawford, all of whom qualified on the 28th
day of the month, having met that day and organized the municipal
The first real business of the newly made council was to pass an
ordinance to create the offices of marshal, treasurer and street
The next municipal election was held March 1, 1875. J. G. Diffenderfer
was returned for mayor; D. A. Barnes, clerk; J. G. Diffenderfer, street
commissioner; M. H. Harding, assessor; J. P. Cramer, marshal; P. H.
Warner, P. P. Westcott, E. W. Harvey, Charles Lathrop, James Williamson,
trustees. Since its incorporation in 1874 until the present the
following persons in addition to those above named have held the office
of mayor of Hopkinton:
F. M. Earhart, 1880-81; J. H. Campbell, 1882; N. J. Dunham, 1883; S. P.
Carter, 1884-86; C. E. Merriam, 1887; J. H. Campbell, 1888; John
Chrystal, 1889-90; C. E. Reeve, 1891-92; S. P. Carter, 1893-95; G.
Merriam, 1896; F. A. Williamson, 1897; G. Merriam, 1898-1900; F. R.
Tesar, 1901; S. P. Carter, 1902-04; T. C. Reeve, 1905-09; F. A. Irish,
1910-11; D. C. Oehler, 1912-13; J. J. Kirkwood, 1914.
MUNICIPAL WATERWORKS SYSTEM
At a special election held on the 15th day of April, 1901, the question
of erecting and maintaining a system of waterworks was placed before the
taxpayers of Hopkinton, and 160 votes were cast on the proposition; 116
for, and 43 against, of the male votes. The women, who were graciously
(?) accorded the right of suffrage on the subject, cast 153 ballots; 97
for, 51 against; 5, spoiled.
The election plainly indicated that a majority of Hopkinton people
desired plenty of water, not only because their principles were in favor
of it as the best and most refreshing beverage for man, but also the
added reason that the town demanded more and better protection against
the destructive element of fire. Therefore, lots were purchased for a
power and pumping station, secured of S. P. Carter for the sum of $250,
and located on Public Square Addition. A contract was let to the Des
Moines Bridge & Iron Works Company of Des Moines, for $6,970. An 8-inch
well was drilled in 1902, and a splendid supply of good water obtained.
In April, 1903, council passed an ordinance empowering that body to
issue $5,000 in waterworks bonds and a contract was awarded J. F.
Williamson for the construction of a steel tower, on the hill north of
town, for $2,000. This the town leased from Mr. Williamson for twenty
years, at an annual rental of 7 per cent of the cost, with privilege to
buy at cost and interest. The improvement was completed in the year 1904
and Hopkinton not only owns its water system, but has a property worth
all and more than it cost, which was about eight thousand dollars. W. S.
Beels was the first superintendent and E. A. Kirkwood, engineer.
Peter Milroy secured a franchise for an electric light and power plant
in 1892 and furnished both the town and private consumers with
electricity. The franchise was renewed in 1912. The plant is installed
in the old grist mill, on the south side of the Maquoketa. In 1912,
William Milroy. a son, the present owner and manager, inaugurated a
continuous service. In November, 1912, the merchants, at their own
expense, bought and set up eighteen 5-globe electroliers, on First and
Locust streets, and donated them to the town.
The postoffice was established here in 1852, and Archibald Tate, pioneer
brickmaker of Delaware County, received his commission as postmaster on
the 28th day of June, 1852. The names of his successors follow: George
R. Browder, December 10, 1853; H. A. Saunders, December 19, 1854; P. H.
Warner, June 27, 1856; R. S. Taylor, March 29, 1861; Merritt Harmon,
August 16, 1864; William E. Brown, August 20, 1866; P. H. Warner,
December 18, 1867; C. E. Merriam, August 11, 1869; P. F. Westcott,
December 14, 1885; C. A. Crawford, April 9, 1889; A. K. Cramer, July 3,
1893; F. B. Tibbitts, May 8, 1897.
The first schoolhouse built in this district was a
log cabin, situated at the edge of a small strip of woods, called Scotch
Grove, about midway of the town and the settlement where the Scotch
people located. The settlers hauled the logs in the winter of 1849 and
themselves put up the rude temple of learning. Miss Beard, a Vermont
teacher, opened this school in May and a Mr. Wilson taught the following
term. The log schoolhouse was sold in 1855 and in that year school was
taught in the village, an old wagon shop being used for the purpose.
With money obtained from the sale of the log building and other sums
obtained by subscription, a small brick school building was erected, one
of the first brick structures in the county, on a lot donated by Leroy
Jackson. Another Vermont "school m'am" first presided here—a Miss Eaton.
In March, 1865, the independent district was organized by the election
of Henry A. Carter, president of the board of directors; J. G.
Diffenderfer, vice president; Edmund Davis, treasurer; A. Nash,
secretary; C. A. Ball, G. H. Crawford and G. Merriam. On March 13th, the
board voted a tax of 5 mills for school purposes and at the next meeting
appointed G. Merriam, Leroy Jackson and A. Nash a committee with
instructions to build another schoolhouse and have it completed by
October 1, 1865. Instead of building, however, the committee purchased
the old Presbyterian Church for $500, and arranged it for school
purposes. This church building stood on a lot adjoining the little red
schoolhouse and was used for the higher grades. Both these schoolhouses
were removed in 1875, and at an expense of $7,000, a brick building was
erected on the two lots, to which was added an adjoining half-acre of
ground. This building contains five rooms and is the high school, having
five teachers. Some time ago another brick building was put up for the
primary classes, and has three rooms and two teachers.
Lenox College, located at Hopkinton, Delaware County, Iowa, is one of
the oldest educational institutions in the state.
As early as 1854, the late Henry A. Carter cherished the hope of
establishing a college at Hopkinton. Mr. Carter had been born and
raised in Massachusetts and was possessed of that high appreciation of
education and culture that has always characterized our New England
population. His object was to provide the facilities for higher
Christian education without the inconvenience and expense of sending the
children to eastern colleges. This object was approved by many others
and there finally resulted the organization of a joint stock company to
erect a building to be used for educational purposes. The date of the
formation of this joint stock company is not recorded, but it met later
on September 6, 1855.
In March, 1856, a building committee was appointed to proceed to the
erection of the college building. This was the first Presbyterian
College in Iowa. It was located at Hopkinton, Delaware County, in the
northeastern section of the state, among a noble and sturdy class of
In June, 1856, the name of Bowen Collegiate Institute was adopted in
honor of C. T. Bowen, of Chicago, who was a liberal contributor to the
building fund, and in the following month the institution was
In September, 1856, the members of the first board of trustees were
elected and in October of the same year the first articles of
incorporation were filed, the institution therefore being, from the
beginning, entitled to all the rights and privileges of a college. The
names of the members of the first board of trustees were: Henry A.
Carter, president; W. P. Cunningham, secretary; Leroy Jackson,
treasurer; James Kilpatrick, H. R. Hackson, Asa C. Bowen, Edmund Davis,
I. Littlefield, Christian Myers, W. A. Roberts, William Robinson,
William Holt, Jacob Diffenderfer, William Morrison, J. B. Whittaker, and
In the autumn of 1856, the foundation of the center of the main building
was laid and the roof put on in 1857. This was a two-story brick
structure 40x60, containing eight rooms built in the center of a
four-acre plot of ground donated by Mr. H. A. Carter. The campus was
afterwards enlarged by another donation by Mr. Carter's son, Samuel P.
It is a beautiful piece of ground, sloping in all directions from the
main building, with a slight ridge running through the center from north
to south. It is artistically set with groups and rows and groves of
sturdy oaks and spreading elms and graceful, symmetrical, hard maples.
The "fifties" were early days for Iowa and it required much patience and
perseverance on the part of those who were managing the enterprise as
well as much sacrifice in giving, by these and many more before the
building was completed and ready for occupation.
Finally by means of a public entertainment and a festival sufficient
money was raised to prepare the inside of the building for occupation
and on September 1, 1859, the first term of the institute began "with
about forty scholars." At last victory crowned the efforts of those
noble men and women. Their hopes were realized. As the rural schools in
those early days were inefficient and the high school of the present day
was unknown the attendance at the institute was very good from the
beginning and increased its enrollment rapidly. From the records we
learn that during the first four terms 196 different students were
enrolled. "The largest number of students in any single term before the
Civil war was 120."
The control of the institution was tendered the Old School Presbyterian
Synod of Iowa, North, in 1860, and that body the following year took a
limited supervision. In 1863 two of the principal stockholders, H. A.
Carter and Leroy Jackson, obtained a sheriff's deed for the property of
the corporation, after the trustees concluded that they were unable to
meet the obligations that were contracted in building. These two men
presented the entire college property to the synod. A deed was signed
February 9, 1864, by Henry A. Carter and Mary Carter, conveying the same
to the synod with the condition that in case the property should not be
used for educational purposes it was to revert to the Town of Hopkinton.
At the time that the property was transferred to the synod in 1861 the
name was changed from Bowen Collegiate Institute to Lenox Collegiate
Institute in honor of James Lenox of New York City, a liberal
contributor to the endowment fund.
The first president of the institution was the Rev. Jerome Allen, Ph.
D., who occupied the chair from 1859 to 1863 and for two years
additional acted as financial agent and teacher of natural science and
English literature. Doctor Allen was one of the foremost educators of
his day. He was the author of a number of books and established the
department of pedagogy in the university of the City of New York and was
the dean of that department from 1889 to the time of his death, which
occurred in his home in Brooklyn, May 26, 1894.
Next came the soldier president, the Rev. J. W. McKean, A. M.,
1863-1864. One morning a recruiting officer attended chapel service and
after a strong and noble appeal by President McKean for the young men to
obey the call of President Lincoln to enlist in the army of the Union,
he informed the students that a recruiting officer was present and all
who wished to enlist should arise. All arose and enlisted but one and he
was too young. The faculty and girl students were in tears and President
McKean closed the tender scene by saying, "Well, boys, if all of you are
going, I am going too." President McKean resigned May 6, 1864, and
entered the army as captain of a company in which all but two of the
students enlisted. The work of the institute was suspended till the fall
term. July 9, 1864, Captain McKean died in the army at Memphis, Tenn. A
fine monument on the college campus commemorates his name and the names
of others who gave their lives for the preservation of the Union. This
monument at a cost of over fifteen hundred dollars was dedicated
November 17, 1865, which makes it the oldest monument in Iowa and
probably in the entire United States erected by public subscription in
honor of the soldiers of the Civil war. "In all, ninety-two students of
this school enlisted during the war, a larger proportion than from any
other school in this state."
For a brief period, from July 8, 1864, to the close of the fall term of
the same year, the Rev. James D. Mason was president. During the
remaining portion of that year till the spring term of 1865 Dr. Jerome
Allen acted as president though the Reverend Doctor Mason did not
formally resign till October, 1865. Mr. Mason was a genial gentleman who
was prominently identified with Presbyterianism in Iowa. He died in
Davenport, Iowa, January 8, 1890, at the age of seventy-seven.
In September, 1866, the Rev. Samuel Hodge, D. D., who for one year had
been professor of languages, was chosen president and filled that office
with becoming dignity and increasing power till 1882.
December 5, 1870, a committee was appointed to take the necessary steps
to incorporate as a college having the right to confer degrees, etc.,
but the articles of incorporation were not filed for record till October
11, 1873. As found stated in these, the object of the corporation is to
"maintain an institution of learning for the education of both sexes;
the grade of which is to be at least high enough to prepare the one for
the sophomore class in the best colleges of the United States, and the
other for the second year of the best ladies' seminary in the country.
But the school may be raised to any higher grade whatever." In
accordance with this provision, its grade has from time to time been
In 1875 the original building was enlarged by a wing 55x30 feet. This
additional room was made necessary by the increased attendance of
students, the number for one term reaching 200. This convenient
improvement in the size of the building is due, for the most part, to
the liberality of the citizens of Hopkinton and vicinity. The times were
hard and money was scarce. Every effort had been exhausted to secure
enough funds to complete this wing and still the amount was not
sufficient. Mr. Carter had hauled brick on to a piece of ground
adjoining the campus where he had planned to erect a cottage and spend
the rest of his days. It was at this juncture that Mr. and Mrs. Carter
decided to give their brick for the new wing, and not in connection with
the erecting of the original building as is sometimes stated. The brick
were removed and built into the wing which has served the institution
for nearly thirty-five years. So Mr. and Mrs. Carter never had their
brick cottage and the land on which it was to have been erected was
afterwards given to the college for an extension of the campus by their
son who fell heir to it as noted above.
In 1882 the trustees departed from the prevailing custom and elected as
president a layman in the person of James A. Ritchey, Ph. D., who was an
experienced educator and for six years labored with marked success. In
1883 the curriculum of the college was revised and greatly extended and
provided for three regular courses of study as well as for many
electives. Thus the institution was made equal to the best average
college in the state. This year the Helen Finley bequest of $5,000 was
made as an addition to the permanent funds. During this year also
occurred the death of H. A. Carter who was the first president of the
board of trustees and a life-long friend and generous supporter of the
In 1884 the articles of incorporation were so amended as to change the
name of Lenox Collegiate Institute to Lenox College, and to provide for
the election of the members of the board of trustees in classes, of whom
five of the fifteen were to be chosen annually. During the same year
extensive repairs were made in the college building. All the rooms on
the first floor were refurnished and the rooms on the second floor were
remodeled. Two commodious halls for the literary societies were
provided, and the chapel was repaired and beautified.
In 1884 the quarter centennial of the college was celebrated. An
unusually large number of people were present at that commencement
season. Every year in the life of the college seemed to have sent back
former students to represent it. The Old Students' Association,
organized in 1883, made its first public appearance, effected this
general reunion, and contributed much to the social and literary
interest of the occasion. This association was composed of former
non-graduate students. The organization was suggested by Mrs. Lucy
Cooley Finley, first preceptress in the .school. The first officers
were: F. B. Dickey, president; Christina M. Kirkwood, secretary.
During the summer of 1888 the board of trustees chose the Rev. Alexander
G. Wilson, D. D., as president, who brought not only dignity but also
capability acquired by a long training in professional and presidential
positions in Paron's College and Lake Forest University. In 1889 the
foundation of Clarke Hall, a girls' dormitory, was laid and in the fall
of 1890 the building was ready for use. Clarke Hall was erected by the
combined efforts of the board of trustees, former students and alumni.
The largest share of the money used in the erection of the building was
left by Charles Coverse Clarke, a former student, who wished to do
something for the college where he had received his training. Doctor
Wilson's distinguished gifts, his noble Christian character, and
executive powers combined to make him a model president, and it was a
great loss when he resigned to accept a professorship in the recently
established theological seminary in Omaha where he remained till his
In the spring of 1894 the Rev. Hugh Robinson, A. M., a son of Lenox
College, and a brilliant preacher, was chosen president and remained for
two years in that office. During the presidency of Reverend Mr. Robinson
considerable field work was done which resulted in increased enrollment.
At the commencement of 1895 the friends who gathered on the campus to
enjoy the exercises of the day contributed $2,500 toward the erection of
a new building to be used for the library, gymnasium, and literary
society halls. James McKean, M. D., '80, of Chenung Mai, Laos, a
Presbyterian foreign missionary, had the honor of making the first gift
which was $100. Operations on the new building were suspended at the
close of the summer of 1895. In the spring of 1896 the Reverend Mr.
Robinson resigned to take charge of a church.
Next came Andrew G. Wilson, A. M., who was chosen president in the
spring of 1896. He too is an alumnus, '80, and in 1884 began to teach
natural science in Lenox College. He is the peer of any teacher in his
department. His scientific knowledge is extensive and his quiet but
forceful manner qualified him for the position he held till the spring
of 1902. In 1897, though the times were hard, the people of Hopkinton
and vicinity loyally and nobly responded with $5,000 for permanent
endowment. It was during President Wilson's time that the new building
used for library and gymnasium was completed. Due to the generous gift
of Judge F. B. Doolittle of Delhi, Iowa, the building was named
Doolittle Memorial Hall in honor of his son, F. W. Doolittle, of sacred
memory. In 1901 Mr. Wilson resigned but remained at his post of duty
till the close of the winter term, 1901-2.
In February, 1902, the Rev. Francis William Grossman, D. D., accepted
the presidency. During his incumbency considerable progress was made in
many directions. As to material improvements: a steam plant was
installed in Clarke Hall and another in the main building which has
capacity sufficient for four times the present necessity; new Christian
association rooms were provided; the chapel, music rooms, stairways,
halls, laboratories, literary society halls, and Clarke Hall were
completely remodeled at a cost of about ten thousand dollars; the
library had an addition of 2,300 new bound volumes and 350 volumes of
standard magazines; a conditional offer of $25,000 from Mr. Andrew
Carnegie toward a permanent endowment was secured.
Progress in the curriculum was also made. The courses were revised and
extended and there was a decided increase in the requirements both for
admission and graduation.
In July, 1906, Doctor Grossman resigned and in August of the same year
Rev. E. E. Reed, D. D., was elected as his successor. Doctor Reed had
been president of Buena Vista for six years where he had met with marked
success in building up that young institution.
Doctor Reed set himself about securing subscriptions to meet the
conditions of Mr. Carnegie's offer of $25,000, which had been made
sixteen months before and towards which only a small amount had been
subscribed. Many thought the undertaking could not be carried to a
successful issue. The new president thought it could and accepted the
presidency with this belief. He began by setting a time limit on the
subscriptions at January 1, 1909—allowing thus a little over two years
in which to complete the work. It was not an easy task by any means and
yet the full amount was finally secured 3 1/2 months ahead of the time
limit and was carried $8,000 beyond the required amount by the end of
the time limit.
A second campaign was soon started for $65,000, of which $25,000 was to
be an endowment for the agricultural department. It was afterwards
advanced to $75,000. A. long and serious illness of the president laid
him aside from his work for some nine months. In the meantime, Mr.
Archibald Livingston, a citizen near Hopkinton, died, leaving a legacy
estimated to be worth $30,000 to Lenox College on condition that $25,000
more be raised for the college. This $55,000 was all to go to the
agricultural and domestic science departments of the college. As some
progress had already been made in securing subscriptions conditioned on
raising $75,000, the canvass was continued along this line. It was a
strenuous campaign, following so closely on the former $100,000
campaign, but as time passed it was pushed with constantly increasing
vigor. During the last fifty days an average of $1,000 a day was added
and $15,000 the last day, which ended in $11,000 more than the required
The academic course has been advanced during the present administration
from a three-year to a four-year course and in other ways the
educational standards of the college have been raised. Departments of
agriculture and domestic science have been added. The former was
advocated by President Reed in his inaugural address. At that time an
agricultural department was a new thing for a college that was devoting
itself to classical and general scientific work. These departments have
been put on a strong footing and the studies taken are given regular
The library has been considerably more than doubled in number of volumes
and in efficiency has been augmented much more than the increase in
volumes would indicate. Over twelve hundred dollars has been put into
six-foot cement walks over and along the campus. One block east of the
campus ten acres have been purchased, five of which are used for
athletics and five acres for the agricultural department.
In connection with the first campaign Mr. and Mrs. C. O. Torrey, of
Manchester, gave the college a property owned by them, two blocks north
of the college. It consists of a large residence, that was being
occupied by the president's family, and is now the "President's Home,”
and also twenty-five acres of land. On this land experiments are being
conducted for the benefit of the agricultural department.
The membership of the faculty has been almost doubled and the salaries
have been materially increased. The annual expense budget has been
The assets of the college have been advanced from $65,370 to $250,916.
Besides this, some twelve wills have been written in which Lenox is
made a beneficiary. The college is yet to realize on most of these
wills. This alone will add considerably to the present assets even
though no other money was secured for the college in the meantime.
REFORMED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
“Psalm singers'' were the first settlers in the
neighborhood of the present Town of Hopkinton. Hugh Livingston had
emigrated from Scotland to the Selkirk Settlement, on the Red River of
the North, but soon had come southward, first with ox carts, then upon
the waters of the Mississippi River to Dubuque, where he settled in
1835. The rough and wicked life in the prosperous mining town did not
please his pious wife, who feared for the souls of her children, amidst
such temptations, and she told her husband that she would rather live
among the Indians and brave the dangers of the wilderness than continue
among such wicked white men. Thus, when James Livingston, the brother of
Hugh, and Hugh Rose came from the Selkirk Settlement in 1837, all left
Dubuque and settled a short distance below the present site of
Hopkinton. And thus the psalms of David were the first songs used at
family worship in the neighborhood of Hopkinton.
The first Reformed Presbyterian family came to Hopkinton "with faint
hopes of seeing a congregation of Reformed Presbyterians growing up
around them." It was the family of James Kilpatrick, who came to
Hopkinton in the fall of 1853, and of whose influence upon the growth of
Hopkinton we spoke before. Mr. Kilpatrick immediately bought land for
himself and for his two brothers-in-law, J. B. Whitaker and Dr. H. P.
Cunningham, who followed him in the early spring of 1854. These faithful
covenanters not only brought their family altars with them, but thought
of the observance of the divine ordinances as soon as they were settled.
Thus Rev. James Neill preached several times to them during the years
1854 and 1855, and Mr. Kilpatrick's log cabin served as the church.
Other Reformed Presbyterian families began to move in during 1855, of
which we will name the families of Joseph, Miller, Milroy, Gilmore and
McConnell, and the desire to have a congregation organized was
expressed. The people entered into correspondence with Rev. William L.
Roberts, D. D., who, after a visit to Hopkinton in the spring of 1855,
consented to take charge of the congregation to be organized. With
rejoicing hearts the people asked Illinois Presbytery, in whose bounds
the congregation was to be started, for an organization. The request
was granted at a meeting of the Presbytery held in St. Louis, October 9,
1855, and a commission was appointed for the purpose.
This commission, consisting of Reverends McDonald and Cannon, and Elder
David Wilson, appeared to organize the congregation April 10, 1856.
Sixteen families, numbering about forty-five persons, were organized
into Maquoketa Congregation of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North
America. J. B. Whitaker and Robert Gilmore were chosen elders, while
James Kilpatrick was elected deacon, and a hearty and unanimous call to
become the pastor was made out for Rev. William L. Roberts, D. D., who
had been preaching for the people with much acceptance, in the
schoolhouse of the Scotch Settlement and other conveniently located
Thus the Reformed Presbyterian Congregation was organized, and pastor,
elders and members began active work immediately. The congregation was
divided into three prayer meetings (societies) and Doctor Roberts
preached two sermons every Sabbath, using Mr. Kilpatrick's house as a
church. Later services were held in what is known as the "red brick"
schoolhouse, and still later in the large room over Farmer's wagon shop;
but in the summer Doctor Roberts preached in the grove. The audiences,
especially in the afternoons were very large, because Doctor Roberts was
an excellent orator.
During the years 1856, 1857 and 1858 the membership of the congregation
rapidly increased. We find added to the roll the names of James Greer,
November 19, 1856; James Stevenson, Alex Marshall, William Coleman,
James Orr, Peter Outline, William Wright, William Morrison, James Wood,
William and Nancy Stevenson (now Mrs. Cormany), all in July, 1857; and
of the Douglas and McGlade families, Alex and John Johnson, Hugh Ewart
and the brothers Chrystal, all in November, 1858.
The congregation, thus increasing, desired a church building, and in the
fall of 1858 the work on the timber for the new church was begun. Mr.
Robertson made the plan; Mr. Humphreys did the main work on the
foundation; the brothers Fuller superintended the carpenter work; and
all the members of the church worked together in peace and brotherly
love. Thus in September, 1860, the church was finished. This served the
congregation forty-one years and stands today well preserved, a memorial
of the consecration and zeal of our fathers. In August, 1860, had
occurred the installation of Doctor Roberts as pastor, which, through
peculiar circumstances, had been delayed since 1856. The remaining years
of his pastorate were years of quiet work and prosperity and the utmost
harmony prevailed between pastor and people, so that it was a hard blow
to the congregation when Doctor Roberts was suddenly called to his rest,
December 7, 1864.
After the death of Doctor Roberts the pulpit was regularly supplied by
the other ministers of the Reformed Presbyterian Church in Iowa, as well
as by candidates, among whom were Rev. Robert Johnson, Josiah Dodds, R.
B. Camion and others. In the summer of 1866 a unanimous and hearty call
was extended to David Hackston Coulter, who was installed as regular
pastor April 18. 1867. He resigned the pastorate October 14, 1874, that
he might become pastor of the congregation in Newark, New Jersey.
However, he returned to Hopkinton, October 30, 1875, to accept the chair
of natural science in Lenox College. He later went to Winchester,
Kansas, where he accepted a pastorate.
On June 15, 1875, Richard Cameron Wylie was installed as pastor. He
resigned October 3, 1882. During his pastorate, April 15, 1878, the name
of the society was changed from Maquoketa Congregation to Hopkinton
Congregation of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. The church was then
without a pastor for a few years, when on the 23d of September, 1886,
Thomas Houston Acheson assumed charge, but resigned October 16, 1895.
Then for 4 1/2 years the congregation was without a pastor, or until
Rev. Louis Meyer was installed, June 21, 1900. After he left the charge
the congregation was again without a regular pastor until Reverend
Foster assumed charge and remained some four or five years. The present
pastor, Rev. George S. Coleman, assumed charge in February, 1913.
On the 1st of January, 1901, the congregation unanimously decided to
build a new church and the work was immediately begun, when the German
Lutheran Congregation bought the old church building. The cornerstone of
the new church was laid July 25, 1901, and on the 1st of January, 1902,
just one year after it was decided to erect a building, the church was
completed and occupied. The church is built of pressed brick with cut
stone trimmings. The main audience room is square; the pews are
circular, and the floor is bowl-shaped. The windows are of stained
glass. The total cost of the building was about ten thousand dollars.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Under authority of the Cedar Rapids Presbytery, Rev. A. F. Kerr, on the
5th day of October, 1855, organized the First Presbyterian Church, of
Hopkinton, with the following members: John Williamson and wife, Mrs.
Sarah B. Williamson, Mrs. Mary A. Hardy, Mrs. Clarinda Davis, Mrs. Sarah
Livingston, Mrs. Isabella Livingston, Mrs. Porthura Livingston, T. N.
Williamson and wife. John Williamson was elected ruling elder .and
served one year, when Robert Wilson, E. T. Williamson, Henry Bridge and
A. A. Lord were added to the list. Later elders were Professor Flude,
director of music at Lenox College; Amasiah Nash, senior and junior; and
G. K. Nash. Up to 1905 there had been only four clerks: Phineas Allyn,
A. A. Lord, C. H. Ricketts and W. R. Williamson. On May 8, 1856, the
church was incorporated. Among the early trustees may be mentioned J. T.
Williamson, J. H. Campbell, P. D. Smith, B. F. Marshall, William
Doolittle. William Taylor, A. G. Wilson, F. Deshaw and Merritt Harmen.
The first regular pastor was Rev. Merritt Harmon.
Just when the first house of worship was erected is not definitely known
by any one now living in the vicinity. But Dubuque and Davenport, the
pioneer towns of Iowa, were only straggling villages. The structure was
built of brick, had two entrances, facing the south, and the shingles
were made from oak trees donated by Mrs. Isabella Livingston, a charter
member. They were "rived out" by A. A. Lord .and Isaac Smith. John
Williamson borrowed the necessary money to meet building expenses, and
in order to do so, placed a mortgage on his farm. His faith and loyalty
were superb. This building stood on or near the site of the present high
school building and was superseded in 1868 by a more commodious one.
The church now standing, an ornament to the town and a splendid
monument to the memory of its projectors and supporters, was finished
in 1905 and dedicated on Sunday, June 11th. The morning sermon was
delivered by Reverend Doctor Robinson, of Dubuque; afternoon, by
Reverend Doctor Ruston; and evening, by Reverend Doctor Fahs, of
Independence. After the impressive exercises the presiding pastor
announced that the church was free from debt.
The First Presbyterian Church building is architecturally all that could
be desired. It stands at the head of Locust Street, a majestic pile,
constructed of red pressed brick, with Bedford stone trimmings. The
foundation stone came from the Loop quarry near town. Many beautiful
memorial windows adorn the edifice and the interior finish and
decorations are in keeping with a rich and harmonious general design.
The illumination is by electricity and the seating capacity is 700.
The following named clergymen have been pastors of this church as
successors to Rev. Merritt Harmon: Jerome Allen, first president of
Lenox College; Reverend Doctor Mason, a few months; Samuel Hodge; M.
Stevenson, an evangelist, a brief period; Henry Cullen; H. Gill, "who
could conduct the college, sing in the choir and, withal, preach a
sermon of more than average merit;'' Alexander Scott, two years; J. M.
Smith; Charles Fish, one year; Doctor McIntosh, who came in 1895 and was
pastor in 1905, at the time of the dedication. Others who preached at
various times were Revs. Hugh Robinson, W. J. Bollman and Doctor
Coulter. The present pastor is W. H. Ensign.
METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
The annual conference held at McGregor in September, 1862, organized the
Hopkinton Circuit, and for the first year included the following
appointments: Hopkinton, Buck Creek. Plum Creek and Mount Pleasant. At
the expiration of the conference year, Mount Pleasant was discontinued
as an appointment and merged with Plum Creek. With this exception the
charge remained in the same formation until the close of the year
1863-4, under the pastoral care of Rev. C. M. Sessions. In 1864, Sand
Springs was added as an appointment, which had hitherto been without
pastoral labors, with Rev. Major Whitman, pastor. This year the charge
also embraced Earlville and Delhi. During the year 1865-6 it embraced
Hopkinton, Sand Springs, Plum Creek and Grove Creek.
During Reverend Whitman's charge two substantial churches were built,
one at Hopkinton and the other at Sand Springs. The old Rockville Church
was removed to Plum Creek, rebuilt and dedicated as Centenary Methodist
This charge was arranged in its present form, September 30, 1866, at
conference held at Decorah, with Rev. B. C. Barnes, pastor. The church
at Hopkinton was erected at a cost of $3,200 and dedicated September 10,
1865, by Rev. A. J. Kynett, J. T. Davis and James Hardy, laymen, and
members of the board of trustees. The church at Sand Springs was also
dedicated by Reverend Kynett, in January. 1866, at which time the
indebtedness was provided for. The Centenary Church was rebuilt at a
cost of $1,000, and dedicated by Rev. H. H. Houghton in 1866. In 1875
the societies of Grove and Buck Creeks united and built a church about
midway of their localities, at a cost of $2,000.
The Methodist Church was rebuilt in 1904 and rededicated on October 13th
of that year, free of debt. The cost of improvements was $3,500. The
present pastor is Rev. L. A. Bradford, having succeeded Rev. G. J.
FARMERS EXCHANGE BANK
The Farmers Exchange Bank was established as a
private concern in Hopkinton, Iowa, March 1, 1877, by Frank M. Earhart,
with a capital stock of $10,000. The first deposit was made by A. F.
Stickney, after which we find the names of C. S. Barker, J. H. Campbell,
P. D. Smith, J. T. Williamson, P. F. Westcott, C. L. Flint, Philip
Cormany, J. J. Wallace, William Flude and Milroy & Johnson. The above
represented the open accounts at the close of the first two months'
In June, 1878, Frank Thompson entered the bank as bookkeeper and was
succeeded in January, 1881, by F. W. Doolittle.
May 12, 1884, Mr. Earhart sold the bank to F. B. Doolittle, of Delhi,
and F. W. Doolittle. The name was changed to Doolittle & Son, Bankers,
with F. B. Doolittle, president; F. W. Doolittle, cashier; and Frank E.
Williamson, bookkeeper. In February, 1890, F. E. Williamson was advanced
to the office of assistant cashier and was succeeded as bookkeeper by
Byron G. Doolittle (now cashier of the First State Bank, Tekonsha,
Michigan), who in turn was succeeded in September, 1891, by E. R.
Place. During the sickness of F. W. Doolittle, in the spring of 1892, F.
E. Williamson was advanced to the office of cashier and C. E. Merriam
entered the bank as an employee. F. W. Doolittle died July 9, 1892.
August 1, 1892, owing to the death of the cashier, a new copartnership
was formed, consisting of F. B. Doolittle, Mrs. Mary R. Doolittle, Frank
E. Williamson and C. E. Merriam, who continued the business under the
name of The Hopkinton Bank, with F. B. Doolittle, president; F. E.
Williamson, vice president; C. E. Merriam, cashier; and E. R. Place,
bookkeeper. The latter resigned his position in June, 1898, and J. D.
McAllister (now manager of the Farmers Supply Company, Hopkinton), was
soon afterwards installed as bookkeeper.
February 1, 1900, the bank was incorporated under the state laws as the
Hopkinton State Bank, with a capital stock of $40,000. Officers and
directors: F. B. Doolittle, president; F. E. Williamson, vice president;
C. E. Merriam, cashier; Mary R. Doolittle, R. G. Brooks, M. L. McGlade
and W. H. Thompson. January 28, 1901, F. C. Reeve entered the employ of
the bank as bookkeeper to succeed J. D. McAllister, resigned. C. E.
Merriam died December 19, 1902, and on the 27th of the same month, F. C.
Reeve was elected cashier; R. G. Crawford, director, and Mary R.
Doolittle, secretary of the board of directors, to succeed C. E.
Merriam, deceased. C. H. Ricketts has been the bookkeeper since January
3, 1903. May 2, 1904, Dr. C. Edward Merriam was elected director to
succeed W. H. Thompson, retired. Director M. L. McGlade died August 14,
1906, and F. C. Reeve was elected to fill the vacancy December 24th of
the same year.
December 28, 1909, Ben F. Williamson was elected teller, and on the 7th
of October, 1911, was elected director to succeed R. G. Brooks. January
25, 1912, Ben F. Williamson died and was succeeded by Clarence L. Hill.
November 19, 1902, F. B. Doolittle, president, died, and was succeeded
by F. E. Williamson. A son, Dr. John C. Doolittle, of Des Moines,
succeeded Judge Doolittle as director and Mary R. Doolittle was elected
The bank began operations on the south side of Main Street, in a small
frame building, and moved from there into the present home, a one-story
brick on the corner of Main and Locust streets. In 1912 an addition was
built to the north part, where the bank installed a modern, burglar and
fire proof vault and other appurtenances.
The present officials of the Hopkinton State Bank are: F. E. Williamson,
president; Mary R. Doolittle, vice president; F. C. Reeve, cashier.
Capital, $40,000: surplus and undivided profits, $32,000: deposits,
THE FARMERS STATE BANK
One of the strong and influential financial
institutions of Delaware County is the Farmers State Bank. It was
incorporated February 22, 1906, by H. M. Johnson, S. P. Thorpe, W. T.
Kehoe, L. Schnitzger, H. B. Schneir, Ed Hucker, R. J. McNeil, W. S.
Johnson, D. H. C. Johnston. The capitalization was $25,000, and the
first officers selected were: H. M. Johnson, president; S. P. Thorpe,
vice president; A. W. McDonald, cashier. The bank began doing business
in the Bernhard Building, a one-story frame, still standing on Main
Street. In 1908, a handsome home was completed for the bank and occupied
in May of that year.
At a regular meeting of the directors, in January, 1910, W. S. Johnson
succeeded to the presidency, and at the same time S. M. Hucker followed
S. P. Thorpe as vice president. John Turnis took the latter office in
The official list now appears as follows: W. S. Johnson, president; John
Turnis, vice president; A. W. McDonald, cashier. Directors: R. J.
McNeil, Ralph Milroy. W. S. Johnson, A. W. McDonald, James F. Delay,
James Kehoe, John Turnis, J. W. Milroy, Frank King. Capital. $25,000;
surplus, $7,000; deposits, $115,000.
Rising Sun Lodge, A. P. & A. M., No. 187, was organized at Worthington,
January 8, 1866. The lodge was removed to Hopkinton in 1874 and
reinstituted with the following named officers: A. B. Wheeler, W. M.; T.
N. Williamson, S. W.; C. Cook, J. W.; H. N. Hendee, secretary; C. P.
McCarty, S. D.; I. G. Quackenbush, J. D.: Aaron Richardson, tyler; J. T.
Davis, treasurer. The members in 1868 were H. W. Raymond, R. B. Dando,
F. Coates, J. B. Bailey, D. M. Hazard, F. M. Nultimeyer, R. B. Lockwood,
E. H. Bush, A. White, Henry Murphy, Simon Boyer, Samuel Pitman, William
Stearwalt, J. P. Jackson, John Gould, James Campbell, B. F. Alberty,
John Lyd, I. G. Quackenbush, Adam Lasher, Ebenezer Fletcher, E. Turner,
J. K. Shiffler, Bedford Lockwood, Henry Arnold, A. B. Wheeless, Thomas
Wood, T. M. Williamson, Eli Ruddlesden, Evan Lyd, George McDonald,
William Neville, William Carpenter and others. The membership now is
Sunbeam Chapter, Order Eastern Star, was organized March 2, 1905, with
the following charter members and officers: W. M., Mrs. C. E. Reeve; W.
P., W. S. Beels; A. M., Mrs. R. G. Crawford; secretary, Miss Emma
Richardson; treasurer, Mrs. J. S. McConnell; conductress, Mrs. T. B.
Tibbitts; assistant conductress, Mrs. J. J. Kirkwood; Adah, Miss Alice
Crawford; Ruth, Mrs. L. P. Cummings; Esther, Mrs. P. R. Wheeless;
Martha, Mrs. J. D. Morgan; Electa, Mrs. F. E. Williamson; warder, Mrs.
J. S. Deshaw; sentinel, G. H. Deshaw: chaplain, Mrs. A. B. Wheeless;
marshal, Mrs. W. A. Place; organist, Mrs. Bollman. Other charter members
were: Mesdames A. Richardson, M. C. Merriam, C. Guthaus, Harry Wilson,
W. A. Lang, J. Baker, — Nichols, Ola Snyder, John Lawson, C. C. Hoag, J.
C. Matthews, Mr. and Mrs. T. B. Armstrong and Mr. and Mrs. John
Sunset Lodge, No. 525. Independent Order Odd Fellows,
was organized October 21, 1892, with the following named charter
members: Parley Gavitt, Jacob Platt, Lewis Wheeler, S. P. Carter, Dr. S.
F. Bentley, T. S. Dewald. They were also the first officials. The
membership of the lodge now is thirty-eight.
Amon Lodge, No. 115, Daughters of Rebekah, was organized in September,
1902. The lodge now has a membership of about sixty.
VILLAGE OF SAND SPRING
Sand Spring is one of the primitive towns of Delaware County that cut
some figure in its day as a trading point, but with the passing of time
and events and the control of man, its prestige long since has taken
wings and but little is left of the place to speak of. Be that as it
may, however, the village was laid out by Surveyor George Welch in
January, 1858, for the owners, T. H. Bowen and L. H. Langworthy. Mr.
Bowen had located a large tract of land here and in the vicinity and in
1856 the Southwestern (Milwaukee) Railroad Company had made this point a
station on its line and built a depot.
The first building in Sand Spring, a log cabin, was put up by Asa C.
Bowen in 1852 and he was one of the first to locate in this vicinity.
In the year 1858 an important event occurred, in the arrival of a number
of families belonging to the "Exodus Colony" formed in Massachusetts.
They were preceded by Reverend Bolles, who was delegated by the
association to arrange for the reception of the families in their
prairie settlement. Mr. Bolles was pleased with the Sand Spring country
and purchased of the Bowens 1,000 acres of land, in which was included a
forty acre tract, which had already been surveyed into lots. This was
called the "Colony” Addition to Sand Spring. Here Reverend Bolles
erected a large frame house, containing sixteen rooms, as a temporary
gathering place or home for members of the association and was called
the "Colony House.” But few, however, of the many families expected left
their eastern homes for the West. Those who did brave the many unknown
perils of the homeseeker were the Olmsteads, L. A. Hubbard, Otis
Battles, A. J. Douglas, William McCausland, with families, and a Mr.
Reverend Bolles was an earnest, eloquent preacher, a good man, who
fulfilled the duties imposed upon him in purchasing the "Colony” land
and making arrangements for the "Exodists." That the primary scheme of
colonizing Massachusetts families on Delaware County land was a failure
was no fault of his. This worthy clergyman preached the first sermon in
Sand Spring in 1858, at a frame building erected for a hotel. Other
sermons by him were delivered in the homes of the people. That summer a
large meeting was held by him at the home of Charles Crocker. About this
time Reverends Whitmore, of the Methodist persuasion, and James Kay,
Baptist, preached to people in and around Sand Spring.
A school was opened here in the summer of 1858 by Miss Lucy Battles,
daughter of Otis Battles. Later, in 1868, a commodious and substantial
school building was erected. E. P. Couser was principal of the graded
The Methodists had organized a society and, in 1865, erected a house of
worship. A similar building was put up by the Baptists in 1868.
The Southwestern, now under the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul System,
failed to reach Sand Spring in the fall of 1858. This was irksome to
those who had contributed to the building of the road, as they needed
and greatly desired railroad communication with the outer world. The
spring of 1859 came and still the rails were three miles distant. This
led the farmers and business men, and even their women folks, to pitch
in and help the track layers finish their work into the village. It is
said that Mrs. Asa C. Bowen, Mrs. Karst and other helpful pioneer
matrons, assisted in carrying and placing the ties.
When the Davenport & St. Paul (Milwaukee) Railroad reached Hopkinton a
mortal blow was given the growth and aspirations of Sand Spring. The
township had voted a tax of 5 per cent to assist in building the road.
The payment of this tax was successfully resisted by the taxpayers of
Sand Spring by way of an injunction, which was made perpetual by the
Supreme Court of the state.
The postoffice at Sand Spring was established in 1858, and T. H. Bowen
was commissioned postmaster on the 19th day of June, 1858. The names of
his successors follow: William Cline, April 16, 1860; E. H. Sellers,
January 30, 1861; Robert Elliott, April 25, 1863; Orson Henry, December
17, 1863; S. R. Tuttle, May 18, 1870: G. H. Brown, October 20. 1871;
Leonard Loffelholz, April 13, 1886: G. H. Brown, May 9, 1889; O. J.
McGinnis, June 30, 1893; Adam Reichart, October 2, 1895: F. E. Wood,
Jr., July 30, 1897; S. D. Garlinghouse, March 2, 1903; William J. Gelvin,
December 14, 1906; Alexander Blair, March 23, 1909.
For a number of years the manufacture of brooms was an important
industry at this place, T. H. and Asa C. Bowen, of Hopkinton giving it
an impetus that put the innovation on a substantial footing. Broom
making meant raising of the raw product, all of which increased the
revenues of those directly interested.
The Wilson dam and sawmill were built soon after the village was founded
and supplied lumber to many of the settlers for their homes and
outbuildings. This property was totally destroyed by the flood of 1865.