1856, a meeting preliminary to a church organization was held in an
unfinished and unoccupied building that then stood on the north side
of Fayette street, east of Wayne, and the church was duly organized,
August 3, 1856; the sermon by Rev. A. Graves, concluding prayer by
H. N. Gates. The original members were Rev. L. B. Fifield, Emily J.
Fifield, Peter Richardson, Lucinda C. Richardson, Sanford R. Grow,
Susan Grow, George Hartwell and Julia A. Hartwell.
years, services were held in private houses, in the old brown school
house, which stood on the site of the present brick school building,
and in Hulburt's Hall.
meeting held in Burrington Hall it was voted to proceed to build a
house of worship. A. Building Committee, consisting of Rev. A. T.
Loring, S. R. Grow and S. T. Wheeler, were appointed. On the 7th of
September, 1864, the present church edifice, was formally dedicated.
Rev. O. W. Merrill preached the dedicatory sermon, Rev. Mr. Hew de
Bourck offered the dedicatory prayer.
of the building was about $3,500, the American Congregational Union
contributing $300. Improvements from time to time have been made to
the building. A new Meneely bell, at an expense of $515, was put up
ministers who have served from the organization of the church to the
present (1878) time are Revs. L. B. Fifield, August 3, 1856, to
June, 1860; A. T. Loring, from July 1860, to July 20, 1866; Daniel
Russell, from October 1, 1866, to April 1, 1867; A. A. Baker, from
October 30, 1867, to October 1, 1869; E. R. Stiles, who commenced
preaching December 19, 1869, was installed November 8, 1870, by Rev.
J. S. Bingham, D. D.
George Hartwell, from September 18, 1856, to Oct 28, 1857; B. H.
Keller, from September 17, 1856, to January 6, 1858; Peter
Richardson, from January 6, 1858, to May, 1871; Wm. Bremner, from
January 2, 1861, to the present time; F. W. Dunham, from March 21,
1866, to July 3, 1867; H. L. Servoss and B. H. Keller, from May,
1870, to 1873. Present (1878) membership 150.
church officers: Trustees, W. H. Goodell, H. A. Granger and Frank
Atwater; Clerk, H. M. Ruggles; Deacons, Wm. Bremner, Wm. Goodell and
prayer meeting has been kept up since the organization of the
Fall of 1864, a Sunday school has been sustained by the church;
previous to that, it had for several years helped to form the Union
Sunday school which met in the public school house. Wm. Bremner, B.
H. Keller, H. L. Servoss, Jonathan Piper, Luke Harvey, H. W. Rule
have been its Superintendents. Sunday school officers for 1878 are
H. W. Rule, Superintendent; R. M. Marvin, Assistant Superintendent;
George A. Day, Chorister; Eva L. Day, Organist; F. B. Gregg,
Secretary and Treasurer.
Ladies' Aid Society. -- Previous to August 16, 1861, the
ladies of this denomination co-operated with the Union Benevolent
Society; since then, they have formed an independent association,
having the same object in view. Socially and financially their
efforts have met with the greatest success.