COLLEGE. The college is located at Hopkinton, Delaware
county, Iowa, on the Davenport and Calmar division of the
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway. Hopkinton is a healthful
location, free from vices and temptations of larger places, and
contains an intelligent, Christian community.
The college is under the control of
the Presbyterian Synod of Iowa, and is Christian in its
instruction. A committee to visit and inspect the institution is
annually appointed by the synod.
The institution was opened for
students in the autumn of 1859, and was designed to furnish the
higher education whose need was then felt in this part of Iowa.
In 1864 the property was transferred to the Synod of Iowa North,
and the name of Lenox Collegiate Institution was adopted.
The curriculum of study was. extended at different times,
providing for classical, scientific and normal courses. In 1884
the articles of incorporation were so amended as to change the
name to Lenox College.
Up to that period more than two
thousand students had been in attendance for longer or shorter
periods. This school was the pioneer Christian school of this
region. It has educated more than fifty men who entered the
Christian ministry of the various denominations, and now has
five representatives among missionaries in foreign lands; and
six of its recent graduates in “The McCormick Theological
Seminary.” It has trained for usefulness many who are serving
their generation in the teachers’ work and in professional life.
One hundred and thirty-seven students
have been enrolled in the past year, of which eighty were in the
and former students of the college have undertaken to provide a
home for the young ladies. This building, so long needed, is in
process of erection, and it is expected to be ready for
occupancy at the opening of the fall term. It has been planned
by a competent architect, is especially adapted for this use,
and is provided with all modern conveniences. When completed it
will present a handsome appearance, and afford convenient and
attractive surroundings, which will supply the lack of home
comforts. The building will consist of two stories of brick,
with a basement of trimmed stone. The basement contains a well
lighted and comfortable dining-room, and well appointed kitchen.
A pleasant parlor and reception room, with light and well
ventilated apartments, comprise the upper floors all being under
the care of a competent matron and supervised by the lady
principal. Parents will thus be assured that daughters will
receive careful attention and oversight, and be scrupulously
guarded by those familiar.